Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Battle Of Endor Siege WIP

Page: 1 of 2
 monsoontide
01-22-2004, 4:54 AM
Hi folks. :D

Finally back at it.
Here are some early pics from the Battle Of Endor map I have been working on with help from SunBurn.
Theres 4 main zones:
1: Speeder Bike Chase/Battle Zone (With Speeder Bikes)
2: Imperial Research Outpost (What the Rebel Commandoes had to deal with while Han & Co. were cuddling the Ewoks)
3: Bunker Battle Area (With AT-ST's & Maybe Ewok Gliders???)
4: Inside The Bunker
5: A bonus secret area!!!

I am wondering since Star Wars:Battlefront is now coming out, if anyone thinks it's worthwhile me finishing this map for Jedi Academy.

(P.S. My online portfolio is up and running again (about 90% of it works now!)

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoonwave/images/endor_00.jpg)
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoonwave/images/endor_01.jpg)
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoonwave/images/endor_02.jpg)
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoonwave/images/endor_03.jpg)
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoonwave/images/endor_04.jpg)
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoonwave/images/endor_05.jpg)
 monsoontide
01-22-2004, 4:59 AM
 GothiX
01-22-2004, 7:03 AM
It'd be worth it if you get new tree models (At least better textures for them, yuck!) and get rid of that horribly tiling terrain. othgerwise, pretty neat, though you might want to add some diversity.
 Teancum
01-22-2004, 7:45 AM
First off, My vote goes for finishing the map. Battlefront is a different animal.

As far as constructive criticism goes, darken the fog. It looks like a forest in heaven. Secondly, I'm with GothiX on the tree texs. Find some better ones. The map does look very good, though. I really like the fallen tree in the 2nd pic. Nice atmosphere. Last set of pics look cool, but not too true to the movies. But who says you have to make it 100% like the movies?
 Kengo
01-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Yeh, I'm with the others. Siege badly needs some cool new levels, and who better to provide them than the man who got Saga working for JO? Battlefront is really a different thing again. Also like the guys said, the fog is far too bright, and the tilled grass textures could do with breaking up/streching.

The interiors look really cool, though far too bright. All in all, this is such a cool idea and I really believe you can carry it off in style, I say go for it!
 Gonkish
01-22-2004, 2:01 PM
I like it so far. The white fog is a bit overpowering, IMHO. Maybe reconsider the color of it... I'm not sure what color you could really use for a forest (maybe a dark bluish-green or something), but the white is just too strong if you ask me..

Aside from that it looks quite nice, especially the bunker.
 Hekx
01-22-2004, 3:46 PM
Some of the textures look a little repetitive on the first few screen shots, but overall it looks very nice.
 wedge2211
01-22-2004, 3:59 PM
Yeah...needs less cartoony trees, make the fog a dark greenish-brown, and make a good EasyGen terrain....... :)
 Casper
01-22-2004, 4:13 PM
WOW:D
 Zappa_0
01-22-2004, 10:25 PM
Nice! Yea you should finish it, it will be a hit with everyone!
 Pahricida
01-23-2004, 1:02 AM
oh d00d ...

not again :D

I've been working on a"The Battle of Endor" -Siege mapping Project for about a month now.

Ah whatever finish it... -.-
 monsoontide
01-23-2004, 5:51 AM
Anyone have any nice tree (Specifically redwoods/pines) textures/shaders? The ones I'm using are all I have and they're (As has been so kindly pointed out) a bit crap ;)

NB. The trees are built in Radiant so they are for the most part not models, so they will hurt if you crash into them on a speeder bike.
White fog is just so I can see what the fog is doing. Colour will be blueish I guess - if it's too dark, it looks light night (And very strange inside the bunker!). Still all in development.

If you're also doing a Endor map then don't let me stop you. People like to have options and if they don't like my map they may like yours!
 Alegis
01-23-2004, 8:55 PM
Ah so you're building the endor one, saw some screenies on jedi-moves.com

Definitely keep working on this map, there is no bigger need for maps than in siege, and it actually looks very good! You'll just have to add more stuff in it (don't make it too big unless you put a lot of stuff on it, maps with open spaces are annoying)

keep up the good work! I searched for some texture places (I slightly remember visiting one months ago) but couldn't find them again
 monsoontide
01-23-2004, 9:53 PM
Also planning to convert my old SAGA maps (Anchorhead / Bast CAstle) to SIEGE but just haven't had a chance yet.
 DarkLord60
01-23-2004, 10:28 PM
Looks good cant wait to play it.
 TK-8252
01-24-2004, 6:58 AM
Eeek! Stormtrooper on a speeder bike! That's just wrong! Well, hopefully you can get some proper models in there. HapSlash is making a Scout Trooper, Navy Trooper, and Rebel Commando model that would go pretty well in here IMO. :)
 monsoontide
01-24-2004, 7:07 AM
I've already made a scout trooper model (And pistol) and am just waiting on Keshire to run it through 3DSmax etc etc.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoonwave/images/Bike_Scout.jpg)
Could do with the others though + an Ewok :D
 jangofett804
01-24-2004, 4:40 PM
That looks awesome!

For the map, you might want to add more trees; it would look more like the forest moon of Endor.

Other than that, looks great.:D
 KHaRMa
01-24-2004, 4:48 PM
Very nice map!! spectacular, but im thinking that maybe the map will make lag goes up very quick, or ppl with gforce2 or under that wont be able to play with it in the forest part :/
 Nkenobi
01-24-2004, 7:05 PM
Nice job!:)
 Pahricida
01-26-2004, 3:45 PM
 wedge2211
01-26-2004, 6:24 PM
Bleeeeaaaaarrrrg.

It's the right idea, but that leaf texture is really crappy. It looks cel-shaded with white lines. Ick. Looks worse than the trees in Myst.

Seriously, though, that's about the right approach. Find a better leaf texture, make the leaves broader and thicker, compile em into .ASE models and you'd be all set.
 TK-8252
01-26-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by monsoontide
+ an Ewok :D Oh yeah! Forgot to mention that, HapSlash is making an Ewok too! :D
 Pahricida
01-26-2004, 11:54 PM
give me some pics of a Redwood Leaf..

I've never seen one and didn't find anything useful in google ...

The Leaf Texture is just temp Stuff until I've found some Reference.

And actually the model already is in .ase format :D

Leaf Texture:

http://home.arcor.de/pahricida/leafs2.jpg)

I will create a Package including 5 - 10 different Redwood Models.

The one shown above will only be used in areas the player can't reach cause the model is very low on detail.
Those the player can see from near distance will be more Detailed specially the lower part of the trunk.

@monsoontide
If you can't find someone else to model you those trees what I find hard to believe (really nothing special just a few modified cylinders) I'll let you use mine (of course only if you want them. :D)

Oh and if it disturbs you in any way that I am abusing your thread ... tell me I'll move to another place then. ^^
 DarkLord60
01-28-2004, 2:43 AM
Sweet new trees I just hope we get no lag.
 monsoontide
01-29-2004, 10:34 PM
O.K. Thanks Guys. Will continue working on this map.
(As a side note - all textures are tempoary as I will make some specifically for this map - the current ones are just to help me to work out how to set up a decent forrest effect.)

Also what is an .ASE model - and what is the difference between using that an an .md3? Also then, how do you make one?

Currently midway through updating my Bast Castle SAGA map from Jedi Outcast into a SIEGE map for Jedi Academy.
Nearly there - maybe another week or two - look for it end of FEB (Fingers crossed).

Acklay & Speeder bike will be early-mid Feb now. (I just haven't the time to work on everything at once!)
 wedge2211
01-29-2004, 11:49 PM
You can make a set of brushes in a map, and turn it into a misc_model, which you can then attach to movers, use the angle, angles, modelscale, and modelscale_vec keys on! Only the latest q3map2 will do this. rgoer explained the process to me...here goes:

Build the structure you want to make into a model in Radiant (in this case, trees). The origin of the map file will be the origin of the model. Build a caulk box around it to prevent leaks, and add an info_player_start. Next, BSP the map with the line <path to q3map2> bsp -v -meta -patchmeta <path to map>. Then, run the following line on the finished BSP file: <path to q3map2> bsp -convert <path to new BSP file>. Look in your maps directory, and you'll find the file mapname.ase. This file can be used as a misc_model in a map! Just enter the path to the .ase file in the model key in the misc_model entity.

To have the map model react properly to lightmaps, use the key/value spawnflags 4. To have q3map2 auto-clip the model (make it solid), use spawnflags 2. For both, use spawnflags 6.

To sum up:

- Make the model out of brushes, save it as modelname.map
- Compile modelname.map to modelname.bsp
- Convert modelname.bsp to modelname.ase
- Load the model in Radiant as a misc_model
 A-WingPilot
01-30-2004, 6:11 AM
If there are different sorts of ewoks, it would be more fun, so don't let 1 person make it, it's better to make different ones.
Maybe there will come ewok clan, or something.
 Pahricida
01-30-2004, 11:27 AM
Well Actually I build my models in 3DSMAX since it's somewhat uncomfortable making models with Radiant :D

And Export them to ASE from Max ...

The advantage in ASE Models is that you can have bigger models with more polys.
Since MD3 Models are limited in their dimensions my trees wouldn't work as md3's not cause of the facecount but because of their height.

5 Trees done yet ... thinking about another 5 to come.
But hey if anyone knows what Redwood leafs look like could you give me some Pics or a brief description? :D

Well and of course my SPeederbike s also in the making :D

New effects and sounds are added ... still need someone to finish the skin.

Pahricida
 monsoontide
01-30-2004, 6:37 PM
OK - seems simple enough.

The next question would be - where's the ASE plugin for MAX (I don't really use MAX if I can help it) and is it (The ASE plugin) compatible with
3DS Max 6? (Since some of the other Raven plugins aren't - at least last time i tried them.)

Also HapSlash's stuff is great - but he (like me) models a lot of stuff but doesn't seem to get many of them "in-game".

Anyone familiar with making weapons for JA (I mean blasters?) - or can point me in the direction of a tutorial on this - I've modeled the Scout Trooper pistol and would like to get it in game (Replace the old bryar pistol) for the Endor Map.

As far as pictures of redwood trees - just go to www.altavista.com) and do an image search for redwood trees - there's a couple of sites that have nice images (And even movie vs location as it is now) photos.
 Crangbor
01-31-2004, 4:21 PM
3: Bunker Battle Area (With AT-ST's & Maybe Ewok Gliders???)

Please! No new vehicles. Alot of people are already struggling with maps such as Kotor Flight School, and Hangar12 and the like.
 Casper
01-31-2004, 7:27 PM
Dude those are some ghetto trees. Just use default JA trees.:)
 TK-8252
01-31-2004, 7:59 PM
Originally posted by Crangbor
Please! No new vehicles. Alot of people are already struggling with maps such as Kotor Flight School, and Hangar12 and the like. Then download a mod that expands the vehicle limit! This might help:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122130)
 monsoontide
02-01-2004, 7:04 AM
Dude those are some ghetto trees. Just use default JA trees.

The trees in JA are NOT redwood trees and doing Endor without redwoods would be like doing Coruscant with rolling grasslands!!! ;)
 A-WingPilot
02-01-2004, 2:19 PM
right ! :p
 A-WingPilot
02-01-2004, 2:19 PM
right ! :p

And there MUST be new vehicles.
Everybody is waiting on new vehicle, Everybody !
 A-WingPilot
02-01-2004, 2:22 PM
Originally posted by monsoontide
I've already made a scout trooper model (And pistol) and am just waiting on Keshire to run it through 3DSmax etc etc.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoonwave/images/Bike_Scout.jpg)
Could do with the others though + an Ewok :D

Why can you read 10/16/03 ???
Isn't it ready yet ??:confused:
 monsoontide
02-01-2004, 5:44 PM
That was the date I took the picture.

The Speeder Bike IS ready. The Scout isn't yet.

Sometimes things don't progress as quickly as you might like owing to real life commitments.
 A-WingPilot
02-01-2004, 6:24 PM
I absolutely get it.:)
 Pahricida
02-01-2004, 7:28 PM
Well Max 5 and 6 should have an internal ASE export ...

since ASE is ASCII based it can be used for many purposes.

And Yeah I've done some weapon replacements.
Basically you just have to model 2 Versions of the weapon one for first and one for third person view. The First Person Model should be exactly the same as the third person one except one thing: You should remove all unseen faces to increase performance :D

Just load a Weapon from Raven, copy the tags and insert them in your model.
Since a weapon doesn't need bones or such you can export the weapon as MD3 and convert it to GLM via MD3 View.
 Casper
02-01-2004, 9:55 PM
Coruscant has rolling grasslands? <-( Acting dumb. )
 Zappa_0
02-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Yea Casper and theres also Water Falls on Tatioone! LOL j/k!
 monsoontide
02-02-2004, 3:47 AM
Acklay vehicle BETA is released on pcgamemods.com
Final version in development.

Please read the readme for instructions & installation details.
 kmd
02-02-2004, 4:32 PM
well, when is this map due for release? any beta takers, and what trees have you decided on useing?
 [ONE]Mushroom
02-02-2004, 6:48 PM
I was just thinking how nice a Battle of Endor Siege map could be, and lo and behold, someone is doing one :)

I eagerly await its completion.
 Pahricida
02-02-2004, 7:32 PM
one? XD

I know of at least 4 ENdor maps in progress

monsoontide's

mine (http://www.jedi-knight2.de/forum/thread.php?id=19316) NOTE: German Page but still some Pics :>)

-]RC[-Nokill's (http://www.jedimoves.com/) Look over at the request Section)

Railback's (http://www.map-center.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=16597)

And I heard about 2 more maps ... but haven't seen anything yet :D

But well ... mine will be the best no doubt :P
 monsoontide
02-02-2004, 7:45 PM
Yes... But are they SIEGE maps? ;)
Always good to have a selection to choose from.

I'm still experimenting with various techniques to make it look like the forest goes off into the distance - will probably use one of those portal skies like on the hoth map.

Check out the new quicktime video of Star Wars BattleFront to see how they're doing the trees and stuff - custom game engine though - it's harder to get it to work like that in the quake engine.

I'm still thinking about catapults and log traps, though haven't worked out the best way to do them.
 [ONE]Mushroom
02-02-2004, 7:46 PM
Heh, well, that'll teach me not to pay attention :p

Looks like I'll have a few to choose between then :)
 Pahricida
02-02-2004, 8:09 PM
ah I still didn't find any good pics showing Redwood Leafs ...
 monsoontide
02-03-2004, 7:56 PM
Will be posting some new pix in a new thread for the updated Bast Castle (SIEGE) map in the next day or so. Expect BETA testing positions to open in about a week or so. Will be needing some really hard-core testing for this map to try and play balance it! I'm a little concerned the objectives may be too easy. Or that there aren't enough of them.
I have all the objectives working ('cept the one with the siege_item) and most of the main menu/objectives/map screen up and running now ('cept those stupid little icon things) - just needs a few tweaks. Still have to make some custom teams though.
Page: 1 of 2