Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Page: 29 of 38
 Kapoch91
09-05-2005, 9:19 AM
I was wondering if anyone would mind... like... teaching me how to use this sort of program... a tutorial of sorts... I'm a complete noob at modding, this would be the first time I'd be doing something like this, but I'm VERY interested in it. Well, thanks.

PM me!
 NomadInvader
09-05-2005, 3:15 PM
Fred, I think I might have something about AuroraLights in models. I might be wrong or you might already know but you might want to check anyway. So here's what I think I found out. Using MDLops I believe I have discovered the RGB color information in the model under controllers in the node_header section. These are the nodes I'm talking about: 015-07 = Red, 016-08 = Green,017-09 = Blue. The reason why I think these are it because their RGB value match the colors you could see in a room.
 Fred Tetra
09-06-2005, 12:42 AM
The problem is that while MDLOps can export the Aurora lights, it doesn't re-import them. So even if you don't alter a room, it'll be unlit when you bring it back into the game.
 Darth InSidious
09-06-2005, 12:47 PM
That module editor looks sweet!
 Kapoch91
09-06-2005, 2:00 PM
Anyone willing? (see three posts up)
 Fred Tetra
09-06-2005, 3:31 PM
Anyone willing? (see three posts up)

Please take a look at forum etiquette rules #3 and #7 please...
 Fred Tetra
09-06-2005, 3:34 PM
I saw a question about SSF files somewhere and thought I'd show a preview of the new SSF Editor in Kotor Tool:

http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/ssfeditor_preview.gif)
 Fred Tetra
09-06-2005, 3:40 PM
That module editor looks sweet!

The module editor was developed, in part, by actually trying to use it to create modules. Many of the other editors are so much simpler that there is only one way for them to work. This one has had many revisions to get it to where it is today.

Right now, there are 10 KotOR I modules and 1 KotOR II module supported. Once some actual demand for module occurs (assuming it does) I can add more.

If folks have an interest in developing something around specific modules, let me know which those are.
 TheOssusKeeper
09-07-2005, 1:43 AM
I saw a question about SSF files somewhere and thought I'd show a preview of the new SSF Editor in Kotor Tool:

http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/ssfeditor_preview.gif)

what are the numbers listed in the left hand (white) fields mean or point to?
 T7nowhere
09-07-2005, 2:29 AM

Probably the TLK reference number for the text.
 Fred Tetra
09-07-2005, 9:11 AM

The numeric fields are indeed the Dialog.Tlk indices. Right now, as you change the number (even using the up-down arrows on the control) the ResRef and string for the index are updated live.

I want to write a DialogTlk "selector" that would be used here and by many of the other editors in Kotor Tool to make choosing a ResRef easier and reduce type-frustration. Just too many other irons in the fire right now! :)
 TheOssusKeeper
09-07-2005, 9:31 AM
Way cool :thumbsup:
 Darth InSidious
09-07-2005, 12:51 PM
The module editor was developed, in part, by actually trying to use it to create modules. Many of the other editors are so much simpler that there is only one way for them to work. This one has had many revisions to get it to where it is today.

Right now, there are 10 KotOR I modules and 1 KotOR II module supported. Once some actual demand for module occurs (assuming it does) I can add more.

If folks have an interest in developing something around specific modules, let me know which those are.
Once again, a thousand thank you's!
I am currently working on a Rhen Var mod, but I can't get hte placeables to face the right way.....It's very irritating...I'm using 261/262TEL...If you can tell me how to make the maps, I could make some of them for TSL....Perhaps I could beta test?
 Fred Tetra
09-07-2005, 2:10 PM
Darkkender is correct that this is not done by a script but is handled internally by the game engine when a creature carrying droppable items die.

Creature(UTC) templates have a BodyBag field, which is a reference to the bodybag.2da file, determining the look of their lootable remains. If the BodyBag field is set to 0 (Default), the value in the body_bag column in appearance.2da for that creature's appearance type is used instead.

After reviewing your response and a bit of reflection, I think I need to better describe what I meant...

In the tar_m02aa (K1) module, there is a creature g_sithtroop002. This is the guy who harasses the aliens in the apartment ring. ("...this is a raid!")

The creature has a script for OnUserDefine set as k_ptar_ud_troop:

void main() {
int int1 = GetUserDefinedEventNumber();
if ((int1 == KOTOR_DEFAULT_EVENT_ON_DEATH)) {
location location1 = GetLocation(OBJECT_SELF);
CreateObject(64, "tar_troop_pack", location1, 0);
}
}

This script gets called when the Sith dies, leaving the backpack in his place. This is what I meant by items (not necessarily Placeables) being a part of a module that are not explicitly referenced in the .GIT file.

While I am sorry for the confusion, I am glad in a way because now I know how that BodyBag field works and I have added support for it to the UTC (Creature) editor! :)
 Fred Tetra
09-09-2005, 2:24 PM
A new version of Kotor Tool will be posted today.

If you're manually downloading, check that the version number is the one below.

1.0.2078.15613 (2005-9-9 13:57)

Features/updates:

Added Sound Set File (SSF) editor
Added BodyBag support to Creature (UTC) editor
Updated Merchant (UTM) editor to have a drop down list for Buy/Sell/Both flag
Added support for 3 new maps (203tel,204tel, and 906mal) for use in Module editor
Updated Dialog.Tlk viewer to editor (already in use by the TSL:RP team)
ERF extraction (entire file)
Check which maps for the Module editor are supported by Kotor Tool and show which are installed on your system
Extract for Module Editing now allows for selection of which resources to extract and can remove references from the .GIT file from those not extracted, so you don't have to use the GFF editor
Extract for Module Editing now sets the GameVersion value in .GIT file so Kotor Tool and its editors are aware
Module editor now shows mouse location in KotOR units
Module editor can pan map using middle mouse button, shift or control keys modify pan speed
Module editor can now build a .MOD file (yeah!)
Module editor now creates a template reference or instance for user palette items
Module editor will include any files you place in your module project's 'extras' folder in the .MOD file
Module editor now shows context-sensitive help messages
PWK/DWK editor now implemented for experimenters
New Nullsoft-based installer

Special thanks go out to T7nowhere for assembling the 3DS Max models for the 203TEL and 204TEL (Telos Citadel Station - Residential Module 082 East and West) maps!

Maps are downloadable at http://www.starwarsknights.com/maps.php) and http://www.jumpstationz.com/KotorToolMaps/). Note that it may take some time for maps to be posted after version announcements!
 TheOssusKeeper
09-09-2005, 2:28 PM
in a word 'awesome'... :D thanks Fred, this is sooo cool... :thumbsup:
 Fred Tetra
09-09-2005, 5:46 PM
To make it easier to see what the latest release version and date are, the title of this thread will be updated as new versions of Kotor Tool is released.
 Fuu
09-09-2005, 8:00 PM
Mr. Tetra you deserve a round of applause! Thanks for the tool, It just keeps getting better and better!
 Darth333
09-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Excellent work Fred! This new version of Kotor tool opens new possibilities for modders :thumbsup: Thanks!
 Jeff
09-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Awesome Fred! Glad you are still updating KT, keep up the good work :thumbsup:
 J3d1W4rr10r
09-10-2005, 12:46 AM
A Big Thanks Fred, You have made it real easy for new modders such as myself get around KotoR/TSL's files easy! Thanks again!
 ChAiNz.2da
09-10-2005, 9:15 AM
Tremendous Job my friend! as usual, I might add ;) hehehe..

I just finished uploading the previous 3 new maps for TSL on my mirror sight (thanks for the heads up) :D

* Telos: Citadel Station - Residential Module 082 East
* Telos: Citadel Station - Residential Module 082 West
* Malachor V: Trayus Proving Grounds
 The Source
09-10-2005, 10:33 AM
:) Hey Fred! Thanks Man! :)

What a professional piece of work!

NICE MAN! KoTOR Tool is HOT!
:firehead :firehead :firehead :firehead
 Fred Tetra
09-10-2005, 10:41 AM
Wow, such a response! I'm glad I got the urge to work on Kotor Tool back!
 Fred Tetra
09-10-2005, 10:53 AM
I want mention that T7nowhere has donated a considerable amount of personal time to the Kotor Tool Module editor maps effort and has been very busy assembling the 3DS Max models for many of the Telos locations.

Aside from 203TEL and 204TEL (Telos Citadel Station - Residential Module 082 East and West), which I managed to include support for in the latest release of Kotor Tool, he's also done Telos maps 201, 202, 207, 208 and 209.

I'm in the process of setting these up for use in Kotor Tool. Since adding new maps no longer requires a completely new release of Kotor Tool, I'll be making the maps and the updated Mapinfo.bfd file available separately.

Thanks again, T7nowhere!
 Doc Valentine
09-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Ive just sent 502OND to you and I will be doing the rest of Onderon soon.

-Gsccc
 Fred Tetra
09-10-2005, 1:11 PM
I've just sent 502OND to you and I will be doing the rest of Onderon soon.

-Gsccc

Heh heh, I saw that email and didn't connect the RL name to your forum name! Doh!

Thanks for sending that! Work has provided me with 3DS Max 7, so I am now more able to accept user assistance in the map department. :)

At this rate, we could have most of the maps supported before the year's end.
 Kapoch91
09-10-2005, 1:37 PM
Uh oh... He keeps adding more stuff and I dont even know how to use the first stuff! X_X Is there a tutorial somewhere or something I could look at?
 shamelessposer
09-10-2005, 2:55 PM
At this rate, we could have most of the maps supported before the year's end.

Once that happens, I think it's safe to say we'll be seeing an awful lot more in the way of storyline mods. :)
 Fred Tetra
09-10-2005, 2:57 PM
Uh oh... He keeps adding more stuff and I dont even know how to use the first stuff! X_X Is there a tutorial somewhere or something I could look at?

You can start with the Help file, then move on to the topics stickied at the top of this forum. :)
 Fred Tetra
09-10-2005, 8:58 PM
Here's a few links to some screenshots showing me running around in the newly-opened expanded medical center. :) Note the altered minimap and my position thereon!

http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/204tel1.jpg) - In-room view
http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/204tel2.jpg) - Map view

As with the 906mal map, the developers just threw in a stactic, non-blastable door to close off the area.

Oh, and BTW, IRL I do look pretty much like the character thumbnail! ;)
 RedHawke
09-11-2005, 12:23 AM
^^^^
That looks really, really sweet Fred! :thumbsup:

:D
 Fred Tetra
09-11-2005, 12:31 AM
I just finished the 207tel and 208tel maps; I'll wait until I get the new MapInfo.bfd installer setup before making them available.

The new design allows users to simply download the latest MapInfo.bfd installer, run it, then download whatever maps are available and use them. No more having to completely reinstall a new version of Kotor Tool just to get support for new maps. This new installer simply updates the list of supported maps (which you can now check from the tools menu.)
 TheOssusKeeper
09-11-2005, 5:51 AM
Hey Fred, when your working with utc files and you click the inventory button at the bottom left and the new window opens, i noticed there was a custom items tab at the top left, i was wondering what it was for, i thought maybe it was for custom items that were in the override folder, but when i click on it, it shows nothing. wondering if there was something special i had to do to get it to see the custom items in the override, say like edit an .ini file or place the items in a special folder in the KT directory or something?
 Fred Tetra
09-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Hey Fred, when your working with utc files and you click the inventory button at the bottom left and the new window opens, i noticed there was a custom items tab at the top left, i was wondering what it was for, i thought maybe it was for custom items that were in the override folder, but when i click on it, it shows nothing. wondering if there was something special i had to do to get it to see the custom items in the override, say like edit an .ini file or place the items in a special folder in the KT directory or something?

That custom tab is one of those things that I have to get around to finishing. When I prototype the UI for something, I try to put in those features that would be useful, then see how they pan out. While stuff is in developement, I usually hide those things, so as not to mislead users into thinking that something works (or should be working!) when it isn't supported yet. Sometimes I forget; this is one of those cases. :)
 TheOssusKeeper
09-11-2005, 12:23 PM
That custom tab is one of those things that I have to get around to finishing. When I prototype the UI for something, I try to put in those features that would be useful, then see how they pan out. While stuff is in developement, I usually hide those things, so as not to mislead users into thinking that something works (or should be working!) when it isn't supported yet. Sometimes I forget; this is one of those cases. :)

ooohh ok, do you still have plans for it in a future release?
 Fred Tetra
09-11-2005, 3:39 PM
ooohh ok, do you still have plans for it in a future release?

Sure enough!
 Fred Tetra
09-11-2005, 10:28 PM
I've just updated MapInfo.bfd to support the newly released maps: 201TEL (Citadel Station Docking Module), 207TEL (Citadel Station Cantina) and 208TEL (Citadel Station Bumani Exchange Corp.). Maps should be available from the download sites (http://www.starwarsknights.com/maps.php) and http://www.jumpstationz.com/KotorToolMaps) within the next few days.

The MapInfo file may be updated by using the installer program (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/mapinfo_setup.exe) or copying the file manually (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/MapInfo.bfd) to your Kotor Tool folder. Both versions will always be available on the Kotor Tool website.
 TheOssusKeeper
09-12-2005, 4:10 AM
Sure enough!

cool, thanks Fred, i know this is a feature that i will probably use often when it's done... :thumbsup:

Got your new maps and mapinfo file also, nice work...
 Darth InSidious
09-12-2005, 6:04 AM
Um, I've been mucking around w/ the module editor (It's great!), and the transitions don't seem to save to the item....
 TheOssusKeeper
09-12-2005, 7:22 AM
question: Has anyone else had any trouble with the 2da editor? I can't seem to get it to copy and paste. When I right click on an existing row, the pop-up will come up so i can copy a row, but when I go to paste it in a new or existing row, the pop-up won't show so i could paste the row...
 Fred Tetra
09-12-2005, 8:59 AM
question: Has anyone else had any trouble with the 2da editor? I can't seem to get it to copy and paste. When I right click on an existing row, the pop-up will come up so i can copy a row, but when I go to paste it in a new or existing row, the pop-up won't show so i could paste the row...

When you go to paste the clipboard, are you right-clicking on the destination row's header, the grey box part? If you have a row on the clipboard, you should get a context menu with "Insert Row, Copy Row, Paste Row, Insert Copied Row, and Renumber Row Labels" on it.
 TheOssusKeeper
09-12-2005, 11:56 AM
When you go to paste the clipboard, are you right-clicking on the destination row's header, the grey box part? If you have a row on the clipboard, you should get a context menu with "Insert Row, Copy Row, Paste Row, Insert Copied Row, and Renumber Row Labels" on it.

yes i'm clicking on the grey header... :giveup:
i don't get the context menu, only on an existing row when i go to copy, but not when i go to paste... i don't know whats wrong with it... i even went as far as to remove (un-install) and re-install the progy...
 ChAiNz.2da
09-12-2005, 12:28 PM
yes i'm clicking on the grey header... :giveup:
i don't get the context menu, only on an existing row when i go to copy, but not when i go to paste... i don't know whats wrong with it... i even went as far as to remove (un-install) and re-install the progy...
I think I ran into this problem as well when I was playing with different versions ;)

@TOK
Try entering a Row # entry (whatever the next consecutive line# is), then see if the paste feature works. You may need to re-enter the line value after the paste, but this might be a temp workaround :)
 TheOssusKeeper
09-12-2005, 2:03 PM
I think I ran into this problem as well when I was playing with different versions ;)

@TOK
Try entering a Row # entry (whatever the next consecutive line# is), then see if the paste feature works. You may need to re-enter the line value after the paste, but this might be a temp workaround :)

yup, already thought o' that... it didn't work either, thanks for the idea though...
 Fred Tetra
09-12-2005, 2:38 PM
Here's a link to a video showing how it should work.

http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/2da_demo.exe)

Where does it "break" for you?
 TheOssusKeeper
09-12-2005, 2:57 PM
Here's a link to a video showing how it should work.

http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/2da_demo.exe)

Where does it "break" for you?

i can right click on an existing row (numbered) and the context menu will show up and then i can copy that row, but when i right click on the row with the * i don't get the context menu, it will not show up so i can paste the row i just copied...

Edit: in the previous version i was able to do this, but now in this new version, it appears that when i copy a row, all i need to do is right click on the last numdered row in the list and insert the new row. you removed the option to click on the * to paste the new row... I see now says the blind man... :D

Edit x2: another thing though i noticed, it automatically renumbers all the rows, it gets rid of the '0' row at the beginning, which in affect could mess up someones appearence.2da file with the heads being improperly number...
 ChAiNz.2da
09-14-2005, 6:34 AM
I've just updated MapInfo.bfd to support the newly released maps: 201TEL (Citadel Station Docking Module), 207TEL (Citadel Station Cantina) and 208TEL (Citadel Station Bumani Exchange Corp.). Maps should be available from the download sites (http://www.starwarsknights.com/maps.php) and my http://www.jumpstationz.com/KotorToolMaps) within the next few days.

The MapInfo file may be updated by using the installer program (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/mapinfo_setup.exe) or copying the file manually (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/MapInfo.bfd) to your Kotor Tool folder. Both versions will always be available on the Kotor Tool website.
Hey Fred!

I've updated the StarWarsKnights.com : Maps (http://www.starwarsknights.com/maps.php) page and my JumpStationZ Maps Mirror (http://www.jumpstationz.com/KotorToolMaps/) site for these maps :D

I also included the MapInfo.bdm options/instructions for both sites (depicting version number). Let me know if you'd rather have me take those down and just leave the maps. :)
 Fred Tetra
09-14-2005, 9:43 AM
Hey Fred!

I've updated the StarWarsKnights.com : Maps (http://www.starwarsknights.com/maps.php) page and my JumpStationZ Maps Mirror (http://www.jumpstationz.com/KotorToolMaps/) site for these maps :D

I also included the MapInfo.bfd options/instructions for both sites (depicting version number). Let me know if you'd rather have me take those down and just leave the maps. :)

Excellent work!

Perhaps you could mention that folks can check to see which maps their current MapInfo.bfd supports by using the Tools | Show maps supported by Module editor menu?
 ChAiNz.2da
09-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Excellent work!

Perhaps you could mention that folks can check to see which maps their current MapInfo.bfd supports by using the Tools | Show maps supported by Module editor menu?

Will do man :)

I'll have to do it when I get home though, unless one of the other SWK staffers would like to change it (if they're not at work either hehehe)... ;)

I'm behind an uber-Firewall & Proxie which IT won't give me the damn FTP port number to use :fist: time to go port snooping... hehehe :devsmoke:
Page: 29 of 38