Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Page: 32 of 38
 Simbacca
10-18-2005, 11:01 PM
KotOR Tool has helped me greatly in the past edit many .utc files. i usually edit this files in GFF Editor, but the Inventories, Feats, and Force Powers i usually use KotOR Tool to edit.

however, lately i am having trouble. whenever i open one of the .utc files i am currently working on in KotOR Tool and try to save it, the .utc file becomes ruined. when i go to save it, i get this error message:

"An unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will be shut down immediately.

Value was either too large or too small for a UInt32."

whether i click Continue or Quit, either way the file is ruined. what i mean by ruined is after opening the file again in GFF Editor, after either experience in KotOR Tool, all the nodes and subtrees are replaced with [CResRef] (tag).

why is this always happening now? what is it that i am now doing wrong?
 Fred Tetra
10-19-2005, 10:37 AM
KotOR Tool has helped me greatly in the past edit many .utc files. i usually edit this files in GFF Editor, but the Inventories, Feats, and Force Powers i usually use KotOR Tool to edit.

however, lately i am having trouble. whenever i open one of the .utc files i am currently working on in KotOR Tool and try to save it, the .utc file becomes ruined. when i go to save it, i get this error message:

"An unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will be shut down immediately.

Value was either too large or too small for a UInt32."

whether i click Continue or Quit, either way the file is ruined. what i mean by ruined is after opening the file again in GFF Editor, after either experience in KotOR Tool, all the nodes and subtrees are replaced with [CResRef] (tag).

why is this always happening now? what is it that i am now doing wrong?

Without knowing the exact file you're using and the values you're trying to set, I cannot say exactly what is causing the problem. I suspect that there's a value that you're setting to a negative number, which the particular field in the .utc can't hold since it is defined as an unsigned (positve only) integer of 32 bits.

If you're willing to make your changes to the file one at a time, saving after each one until it fails, you can help identify the cause of the problem and I might be able to make some changes to prevent it in future versions of Kotor Tool.
 Simbacca
10-19-2005, 5:49 PM
Without knowing the exact file you're using and the values you're trying to set, I cannot say exactly what is causing the problem. I suspect that there's a value that you're setting to a negative number, which the particular field in the .utc can't hold since it is defined as an unsigned (positve only) integer of 32 bits.

If you're willing to make your changes to the file one at a time, saving after each one until it fails, you can help identify the cause of the problem and I might be able to make some changes to prevent it in future versions of Kotor Tool.

well i may have solved the problem but it does bring up another question.

i test KotOR Tool save with new extracted and then altered .utc files from the game and it worked fine. the .utc file i am working also now worked once i changed the apperance_type field. for this mod, i had two add a couple line to apperance.2da so the apperance_type field on this particular .utc file was set to 510. perhaps since the original KotOR apperance.2da only has 508 lines, maybe KotOR Tool does not like my new character .utc to have an apperance from line 510?

is this correct?
 Fred Tetra
10-19-2005, 6:37 PM
well i may have solved the problem but it does bring up another question.

i test KotOR Tool save with new extracted and then altered .utc files from the game and it worked fine. the .utc file i am working also now worked once i changed the apperance_type field. for this mod, i had two add a couple line to apperance.2da so the apperance_type field on this particular .utc file was set to 510. perhaps since the original KotOR apperance.2da only has 508 lines, maybe KotOR Tool does not like my new character .utc to have an apperance from line 510?

is this correct?

If you open a file like this, which has a value out of the range of possible indices in a 2da file, you'd get a warning that this had happened and the particular combobox affected would have a red color to it.

Since you have a new 2da to support the value, you only need to put it in the override folder and check the Use Game's Override folder for 2DA files checkbox in Kotor Tool's options (Tools | Options | Other tab) so that this file is used instead of the one in the game.

I think something else was causing the error, from the description you gave.
 Simbacca
10-22-2005, 3:02 PM
thanks for making me aware of the Use Game's Override folder for 2DA files checkbox in Kotor Tool's options. just using that as completely solved the problem for me.
 brwarner
10-22-2005, 7:09 PM
After the release of 3ds max 8 I was able to get the trial and I have made a max file eith all the parts of the area 262TEL(Atris place) in place except 3 of them(they're in there just not in place).
Heres a link and I was wondering if this could be made into a map file for the Module Editor.
Also is it ok if I left out the peices that were just for deceration, like some walls that arent used you just see them.

Link (http://www.geocities.com/gamemaker@rogers.com\Hand.zip)

Edit: Wait i fixed it and all parts are were they should. Link above is new version.
 Fred Tetra
10-22-2005, 11:37 PM
After the release of 3ds max 8 I was able to get the trial and I have made a max file eith all the parts of the area 262TEL(Atris place) in place except 3 of them(they're in there just not in place).
Heres a link and I was wondering if this could be made into a map file for the Module Editor.
Also is it ok if I left out the peices that were just for deceration, like some walls that arent used you just see them.

Link (http://www.geocities.com/gamemaker@rogers.com\Hand.zip)

Edit: Wait i fixed it and all parts are were they should. Link above is new version.

Unfortunately, your link doesn't work :(

Once you get the link fixed and if everything is lined up with great care, I can render it and calibrate it for use in the Module editor.
 brwarner
10-23-2005, 10:42 AM
I don't understand, It works for me. Im hosting it on geocites but Ill see if I can host it somewhere else. I cant seem to get on any other hosting site besides yahoo. Ive checked my internet security and Norton. If anyone knows why it may not work please tell me.Anyway untill then I shall make more maps because I only have max for 29 more days,

Here I got tripod working, goto http://brwarner0.tripod.com/) and click the link at the bottom. I know the site looks weird but i just got it.
 Fred Tetra
10-23-2005, 1:17 PM
I don't understand, It works for me. Im hosting it on geocites but Ill see if I can host it somewhere else. I cant seem to get on any other hosting site besides yahoo. Ive checked my internet security and Norton. If anyone knows why it may not work please tell me.Anyway untill then I shall make more maps because I only have max for 29 more days,

Here I got tripod working, goto http://brwarner0.tripod.com/) and click the link at the bottom. I know the site looks weird but i just got it.

I was able to download your Max file and I'll take a look at it tonight. :)
 brwarner
10-23-2005, 5:19 PM
If you want I have also made the Endire Spire (http://www.freewebs.com/brwarners)
 Darth InSidious
10-23-2005, 5:58 PM
Hey, Brwarner, if you're gonna do that, can you do some for 261TEL and 262TEL?
 brwarner
10-23-2005, 6:54 PM
I've just made 262TEL if you read a few posts up and sure ill make 261TEL I was going to do that anyway.
Wait problem with 261, not all models accounted for. Only 2 in kotor tool and in .are yet neither contain ground,shuttle.
 Fred Tetra
10-23-2005, 8:18 PM
I was able to download your Max file and I'll take a look at it tonight. :)

Unfortunately, it looks like there's no backward compatability with 3DS Max 7, so I won't be able to use your assembled maps. :(
 brwarner
10-23-2005, 8:31 PM
What if I save as .3ds or some other extension

EDIT: http://www.freewebs.com/brwarners/3ds.zip)
or on main page www.freewebs.com/brwarners)
 Fred Tetra
10-23-2005, 10:39 PM
What if I save as .3ds or some other extension

EDIT: http://www.freewebs.com/brwarners/3ds.zip)
or on main page www.freewebs.com/brwarners)

When I import them, they don't render correctly; parts are missing. I'm not a Max expert, so maybe something's wrong on my end. Sorry!
 brwarner
10-24-2005, 7:21 AM
maybe you could try downloading max 8 http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=5659302&siteID=123112)

EDIT:The 3DS also doesn't work for me, when i export then reset then import the peices are moved about and missing. Your best bet is to get max 8 as above
 Fred Tetra
10-24-2005, 9:18 AM
3DS Max 7 is supplied by my employer, and running side-by-side versions is frowned upon. Thanks for all of your efforts, in any event! :)
 brwarner
10-25-2005, 4:57 PM
I don't think my e-mail went through but I have finally found a extension that imports correctly because I tested it. Download here (http://www.freewebs.com/brwarners/) Then click FBX files

The plug in (if it is not already included in max7, it was in max 8) can be found here (http://www.maxplugins.de/)
 Fred Tetra
10-30-2005, 8:44 PM
A new version of Kotor Tool will be posted today.

If you're manually downloading, check that the version number is the one below.

v1.0.2129.27079 (2005-10-30 20:17)

Features/updates:

Door fields are now editiable in Module Editor
Fixed bug in Creature editor that prevented Min1HP field from being read
Fixed bug in Creature editor that prevented Interruptable field from being read and set consistently
Added code to Creature editor to support IsPC field
Fixed bug in module editor that cause Kotor Tool to crash when Properties menu was chosen for a trigger from palette
Module Editor no longer gives an error when closed before a module project was opened
Module Editor can now show item Tags as well as ResRefs in the palette and on the map surface
Trigger editor (UTT) now lets you set the faction via a drop-down menu instead of having to type a number in
Trigger editor now has a drop-down menu for Type (Generic/Transition/Trap)
Door editor (UTD) now lets you set the faction via a drop-down menu instead of having to type a number in
Sun and Fog range controls in Module Properties editor now more compatible with KotOR I
2DA Editor no longer crashes when "Show Strings for Refs" is done on column that contains -1's
Added Waypoint (UTW) Editor
Added Waypoint editing support to Module Editor
Added item position tweaking to Module Editor
Encounters can now be repositioned and reshaped in the Module Editor
Encounter properties can now be accessed by right-click on one of its nodes
Encounter Spawn Points can now be repositioned using the mouse
Encounter Spawn Points can now be added and deleted from the map surface
Encounter Spawn Points can now have facing (orientation) set
Module Entry point can now be repositioned using the mouse
Added Quick menu to Text Editor to make finding sections of .GIT GFF files easier
Fixed a text padding issue with the GFF file non-RTF text dump
Added Sound (UTS) editor
Added Sound editing support to Module editor
Added Merchant editing support to Module editor
Added ability to have "global templates" for the Module Editor. These are files available to all projects
Items of a given type are now unhidden when a new item of that type is dragged onto the map surface
Added new View menu item, Show Module Entry Point, which zooms the map to the Module Entry Point
Updated handling of editing of non-editable reference items to allow user to choose source to create an editable instance from
Text editor can now compile scripts
UT* Editors can now invoke editing of scripts
Scripts for a module are now displayed in the Module editor and can be edited with a double-click
Module editor now shows map name, game version, and module output path in window caption
Dialogs for a module are now displayed in the Module editor and can be edited with a double-click
Added "Extract for Module Editing" button to main window
Module extraction now checks to see if a map is supported before starting
Module Editor can now produce text dumps of the GIT/ARE/IFO files for a module, and changes to files due to editing are now shown
Traps can now be placed on map surface and show their 'sensing' radius
 Fred Tetra
11-01-2005, 3:16 PM
A new version of Kotor Tool will be posted today.

If you're manually downloading, check that the version number is the one below.

v1.0.2129.27079 (2005-11-01 12:00)

Just a minor update to the installer program to warn those users who put files in the Kotor Tool program directory that the entire directory's contents will be deleted during an Uninstall. (shame on them [ and they know who they are! :D ] - don't they know you're supposed to keep your apps and data separate?)
 General Kenobi
11-01-2005, 3:39 PM
Who Us??? :D...lol

Bad Modders :D

I"m loving all of the new features of the KT Fred.

Also if you haven't please check your PM's and let me know. Whatever you want to do in that line we'll give it a go.

I noticed in the previous update since I've used/downloaded the latest version some kewl addon features and the like. :D Sweet :D

:ben:
 SpaceAlex
11-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Great work. I'm loving the sound editor, even though KT crashes if i use it for too long.

Still, it's very useful and i can live with this little bug. :)
 Fred Tetra
11-02-2005, 9:12 AM
Great work. I'm loving the sound editor, even though KT crashes if i use it for too long.

Still, it's very useful and i can live with this little bug. :)

It is still a bit unstable. Considering the 'magic' needed to get it to work, I'm still pretty happy with the way it turned out.
 Fred Tetra
11-03-2005, 11:15 PM
Here's a new map I'm working on for use with the module editor.

http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/151har_lg.jpg) (6144 x 4608 px)

This model consists of 17(!) parts and would have normally taken a few hours (at the least) to get the first-pass assembly done. I usually have to go back and realign parts when module items like doors won't line up.

This model was assembled using a new technique that allows me to get the initial assembly done in less than 25 minutes.

Once I get some new assembly instructions put together, it should be much easier for people to contribute maps.
 Darth InSidious
11-04-2005, 5:54 AM
Sweet!
 Darkkender
11-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Here's a new map I'm working on for use with the module editor.

http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/151har_lg.jpg) (6144 x 4608 px)

This model consists of 17(!) parts and would have normally taken a few hours (at the least) to get the first-pass assembly done. I usually have to go back and realign parts when module items like doors won't line up.

This model was assembled using a new technique that allows me to get the initial assembly done in less than 25 minutes.

Once I get some new assembly instructions put together, it should be much easier for people to contribute maps.

I'll be eager for that since I still have difficulties putting together the models following the instructions. But that looks great. I'm eager for my next dayoff to do various things involving modding and now your just adding more to my plate of palatable desires Fred.
 Fred Tetra
11-04-2005, 12:02 PM
I am actually trying to write a MaxScript that will load all of the models for a map and align them, all in one shot.

If it works out right, when you export a series of map models, Kotor Tool would write out the script to be run in Max to import and align them, simplifying the whole workflow. At the worst, you'd have to specify some things manually but it would still take less time than it does now.

In other news, I discovered why I cannot load my own room models into the game and not have the room look dark. I am working with CChargin to make a few changes to MDLOps to fix these things. If anyone is really interested in the technical reasons, just ask.
 Pavlos
11-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Are you working on a way to create new modules? If I've missed the point then, owww. Because if someone can figure out that lightmapping issue I would erm... thank them very much.
 Fred Tetra
11-04-2005, 1:46 PM
Are you working on a way to create new modules? If I've missed the point then, owww. Because if someone can figure out that lightmapping issue I would erm... thank them very much.

I've been working on that for the past two years now :)

It is a slow process because almost everything has to be figured out empirically through testing and experimentation (and failure!). Granted, if I were working on this 8 hours a day and wasn't writing Kotor Tool at the same time (assuming it or something like it already existed), I'm pretty sure I'd know what could or could not be done by now.

I have just added/modified/fixed about 40 things in Kotor Tool, so to take a break from that I am back playing around with the MDL format. I have written a binary reader for the MDL files that lets me explore the file in an easier to read format. It is not complete, but it does read enough of the file data for me to see what the problem I am having with room lights is caused by.

So, while I can now put my own room into 204TEL, my character still looks like the room has no lights, at least for now. :)
 Fred Tetra
11-04-2005, 11:51 PM
I am actually trying to write a MaxScript that will load all of the models for a map and align them, all in one shot.

If it works out right, when you export a series of map models, Kotor Tool would write out the script to be run in Max to import and align them, simplifying the whole workflow. At the worst, you'd have to specify some things manually but it would still take less time than it does now.

Well I have certainly enjoyed some success tonight!

I managed to update Kotor Tool and write some MaxScript code for 3DS Max 7 that together allow me to completely assemble a map like 204TEL in 35 seconds and a complex model like 001EBO in 2 minutes and 7 seconds! You still have to remove any "roofing" items so that the floor below is visible, but this is trivial task compared to aligning all of the map models. :)

Now if I can get my idea for the math-based map calibrator working (presently I do them all by tedious iterative tweaking), I should be able to produce a whole new set of maps for your module editing pleasure in rather short order.
 RedHawke
11-05-2005, 12:05 AM
Now if I can get my idea for the math-based map calibrator working (presently I do them all by tedious iterative tweaking), I should be able to produce a whole new set of maps for your module editing pleasure in rather short order.
You da man Fred! :D Sounds really, really cool! :thumbsup:
 Darkkender
11-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Man I feel a song coming on.

Karaoke time! -- "I'm So Excited, and I just Can't Hide it, I think I'm about to Lose control and I think I like it."
 The Source
11-05-2005, 12:43 PM
I was wondering if anyone is creating a map for 202TEL (Entertainment) Level?
 Fred Tetra
11-05-2005, 1:23 PM
I was wondering if anyone is creating a map for 202TEL (Entertainment) Level?

I loaded that one up as one of my tests with you in mind. :)

It will require some clean-up work, as the model is more "3D" than most and there are a lots of roofs to remove without damaging the room underneath, but it should be available in the near future.
 The Source
11-05-2005, 1:57 PM
I loaded that one up as one of my tests with you in mind. :)

It will require some clean-up work, as the model is more "3D" than most and there are a lots of roofs to remove without damaging the room underneath, but it should be available in the near future.

Cool man! I started to think about how complex that level was. There are several hidden areas, which you can't get to in game. Cool Man! :)

THANKS MAN!!!! :)
 Simbacca
11-06-2005, 6:20 PM
how come, just in the past two weeks or so, whenever i open a file with KotOR Tool there is a file created, in the same folder as the file i opened, called K1TemplateTags.bfd?

is this something that happens because of a new version i have, or is it caused by some options change i may have unknowingly made?
 Fred Tetra
11-06-2005, 9:35 PM
how come, just in the past two weeks or so, whenever i open a file with KotOR Tool there is a file created, in the same folder as the file i opened, called K1TemplateTags.bfd?

is this something that happens because of a new version i have, or is it caused by some options change i may have unknowingly made?

It is a file Kotor Tool uses to make certain features work faster. It is a serialized hastable of the tag fields for all of the files in tempates.bif.

If you have K2 installed, you'd see a file for that, too.
 Fuu
11-07-2005, 9:01 PM
Help please :) Trying to gff edit my g_w_lghtsbr79.uti, whn i try to edit any line in the properties it produces this:
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: '0' is not a valid value for 'index'.
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(In t32 value)
at kotor_tool.frmUTI_Editor.dgProperties_DoubleClick( Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnDoubleClick(EventAr gs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage (Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(M essage& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

<snip>

Ack! Never did that before...................

Do I have to make a new .uti and start over or is this something I can work through/fix?

Thanks,
Fuu
 Fred Tetra
11-07-2005, 9:20 PM
Help please :) Trying to gff edit my g_w_lghtsbr79.uti, whn i try to edit any line in the properties it produces this:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: '0' is not a valid value for 'index'.
at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.set_SelectedIndex(In t32 value)
at kotor_tool.frmUTI_Editor.dgProperties_DoubleClick( Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnDoubleClick(EventAr gs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage (Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(M essage& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

<snip>

Ack! Never did that before...................

Do I have to make a new .uti and start over or is this something I can work through/fix?

Thanks,
Fuu

Have you ever edited the file outside of Kotor Tool? Does it depend on changes to 2DA files to work? If so, make sure you have the required 2DA files in the Override directory and make sure the Look in Game's Override folder for 2DA files checkbox is ticked on the Kotor Tool Options form
 Fuu
11-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Yes, and Yes. Tried your suggestion and it still put out another error.

Ok, so I'm guessing that the gff editor in KoToRTool cant edit files that have been opened in another prog? I think I'll just start a new one..........thanks Mr. Tetra!

Fuu
 Fred Tetra
11-08-2005, 12:04 AM

Ok, so I'm guessing that the gff editor in KoToRTool cant edit files that have been opened in another prog? I think I'll just start a new one..........thanks Mr. Tetra!

Fuu

Well, before you start over and lose your work, email me the file zipped up and I'll take a look at it. Also, if there are any 2DA files that you've modified to support your item, include them as well.
 Pavlos
11-08-2005, 12:32 PM
I find that with the latest version of kotor tool when I go into the inventory section for the creature editor the icons for the body arms etc are all missing. Any reason? I never got this before.
 Fred Tetra
11-08-2005, 11:21 PM
I find that with the latest version of kotor tool when I go into the inventory section for the creature editor the icons for the body arms etc are all missing. Any reason? I never got this before.

I can only see that happening if the actual application is corrupted.

Delete the Kotor Tool .exe file and run the installer, choosing not to uninstall first.
 Fred Tetra
11-08-2005, 11:30 PM
I have been working with my newly-created map workflow tools and have assembled and calibrated some new maps; this is amd example of what I can crank out in a few evenings using them:

101per: Peragus Administration Level
102per: Peragus Mines
151har: Harbinger - Command Deck
302nar: Refugee area - Nar Shaddaa
503ond: Onderon - Iziz Cantina
851nih: Ravager - Command Deck

An updated MapInfo.bfd installer and map files should be available in the near future.

(Kdsphantom had assembled the 503ond map before, but the new tools assure 100% part alignment, so I chose to re-do that map. Fortunately it only has 3 parts, so hopefully s/he doesn't feel too bad. :) Thanks for the effort anyway! :D)
 TheOssusKeeper
11-09-2005, 1:22 AM
way cool, new modules... can't wait for the complete set... GJ Fred :thumbsup:
 Pavlos
11-09-2005, 11:19 AM
I reinstalled and now it is back to normal. Thanks. Yay! Maps!
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
11-10-2005, 2:17 AM
Thanks again for including ravager:D
 Fred Tetra
11-10-2005, 10:38 AM

Fuu

How did you create the Properties section of your UTI file? What I found is that the Param1 field always had 0 (zero) in it when it should have been -1.

The 255 value tells KotOR (and Kotor Tool) that there isn't any "fine grained detail" for a property.

For example, an Attribute Bonus, Strength, +2 has a:
Property ID of 0 (Row 0 in itempropdef.2da; tells you to use iprp_abilities.2da)
Subtype ID of 0 (Row 0 in iprp_abilities.2da; "Strength")
CostTable of 1 (Row 1 in iprp_costtable.2da; tells you to use iprp_bonuscost.2da; "Bonus")
CostValue of 2, (Row 2 in iprp_bonuscost.2da; "+2")
Param1 of 255
Param1Value - doesn't matter; if Param1 is "unused", value is unused
Param2 - doesn't matter; if Param1 is "unused", Param2 is as well.

As you can see, no Param1 or Param2 values are needed, so they must be set to -1; 0 or higher means the param is in index into yet another 2DA table.

Just for example, if you had a property "Damage Bonus vs. Alignment, Dark Side, +2, Unstoppable", the values would look like this:
Property ID of 12 (Row 12 in itempropdef.2da; tells you to use iprp_aligngrp.2da)
Subtype ID of 3 (Row 3 in iprp_aligngrp.2da; "Dark Side")
CostTable of 4 (Row 4 in iprp_costtable.2da; tells you to use iprp_damagecost.2da; "Damage")
CostValue of 2 (Row 2 in iprp_damagecost.2da; "2")

Ahh, now how do we specify "Unstoppable"? With the Param1:
Param1 of 0 (Row 0 in iprp_paramtable.2da; tells you to use iprp_damagetype.2da)
Param1Value of 4 (Row 4 in iprp_damagetype.2da; "Unstoppable")

Ok, so now you're probably wondering why your data causes the Kotor Tool property editor to crash. Because the editor follows the exact rules that the game engine does for looking up values, when it sets up the drop down menus and sets the values for the property (#1 above), it "knows" that there isn't a Param1 or Param1Value associated with it because the itempropdef.2da says so. So when your property specifies values for them, it doesn't handle it gracefully.

The item property editor was designed to be used only with property data from in-game items or that which it assigned to user-made items. It will work with "hand edited" properties, but you have to follow some strict rules.

I suggest editing your item's properties by using the editor to duplicate each existing "bad" entry, then delete that "bad" entry. You'll be left with a good set of properties.
 Fuu
11-10-2005, 9:02 PM
Thanks Mr Tetra! I created the uti folllowing Achilles's "Item Property Editing Tutorial" ( I know this is old.... but I wanted to understand the inner working of a .uti.) Basicially I extracted it with the tool and then used the bioware editor (and) kgff to "hand edit" the properties. Dont know what really happened with the numbering of the structs, since all I did was copy/paste and then edit each one I pasted. I followed the tut to the letter (welll at least all of the steps), and was very carefull in cross refrencing the various tables, so I dont see what I could have done to cause the problem...... I do remeber thinking it was odd that the structs were all zero when I opened it again in Kgff later............

Thank you for the feedback, I'll keep your responses in mind. While editing my .uti the "old" way was informative ( I did manage to create a working version of this file doing it by hand.... it was later that this one got screwed up), I think I'll just stick to using KT's gff editor from the gitgo.

Thanks again,
Fuu
 Fred Tetra
11-12-2005, 12:33 AM
Here's a link to screen-captured movie (with player) showing off some of the new features of Kotor Tool's Text editor, which now has added support for script editing:

http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/text_edit_demo.exe)

The Text editor now has:

A list of functions available in NWScript file specific to each game
with function name filtering
Click to show function definition
Double-click to paste function name
A context menu to show definition for a selected NWScript-defined function.
Compilation of scripts with error reporting
Page: 32 of 38