Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Team Corellia

Page: 1 of 3
 Kengo
12-27-2003, 2:08 AM
Part 1 - Corellia
WMV version avaliable (requires Windows Media Player)
http://www.pcgamemods.com/4216/)

Jedi Academy V1.20 Avaliable
http://www.pcgamemods.com/3950/)
By: Simon "Kengo" Williams and Lasse "Lassev" Vддriskoski
Written by Simon "Kengo" Williams and Niall "CookedHaggis" Henderson

http://blargh.mine.nu/test/182/2.jpg)

http://blargh.mine.nu/test/182/5.jpg)

Part 2 - A place in the Shade
Work In Progress (See below in thread for screenshots and details)

Casting and characters

Lt. Castle (Corsec)
Voice Actor: Leo Thornton
Castle is a tough, reliable policeman who joined CorSec at 20 and has worked his way up to Lieutenant since. He was born in Coronet and has lived there all his life. Having a little more of an open mind than many of his colleagues, he was transfered to the SJPW division - the Strange or Just Plain Weird division.

Pvt. Alan Dalta (New Republic Army)
Voice actor: Chronocrossed
Dalta was himself born on Corellia, in one of the more remote towns. He left at a young age to join the Republic Army and 'see the galaxy'. Ironically he has now been posted back to Corellia as the token Corellian in the small New Republic force.

Pvt. Luke Harris (New Republic Army)
Voice Actor: Richard "Frances_farmer" White
Harris is just 20, no one is exactly sure why he joined up, but he definately did, hes got a piece of paper that says so. He is a registered communications expert, having learnt 6 dialects, including Wookie, whilst on his homeplanet Coruscant.

Jaden Car'Let (Jedi Order)
Voice Actor: Matthew Pate
A newly passed full Jedi Knight on his first mission. His enthusiasm is tempered by the general lack of respect he seems to get at every turn...

Makso (Mercenary)
Voice Actor: Leo Thornton
A Rodian mercenary hired by CorSec, mainly because he himself has been to the Corperate Sector. Resourceful but less than trustworthy.

Agent Black (New Republic Intelligence)
Voice Actor: Mauri "Darkblade" Majanoja
Agent Black is the agent in charge of the whole operation. Definately a bit spooky, and not the most personable type, he does seem to know what he's doing - but is he holding something bacl from the others?

Cpl. Anders (New Republic Army)
Voice Actor: Leslie Judge
How did he make Corperal is the question on the lips of everyone who meets him. Coming from the icy world of Ralltiir, mainly to get away from the snow, he faces every situation with an insanely cheery disposition and often, dancing.

CorSec receptionist - Wedge
CorSec Chief - Leo Thornton
Collaborator - Steve "Wotno" Peacock
Smuggler: Wes Marrakesh
 Business_Eskimo
12-27-2003, 4:07 AM
Excellent scripting and voice acting. (especially Leslie's job on Cpl. Anders IMO :p)

The funniest thing I've seen in a while, except maybe www.homestarrunner.com) .

Good work.
 GothiX
12-27-2003, 8:41 AM
Makso, he rocks. Besides, he's got Lasse's eyes. *sigh*
 Casperhead
12-28-2003, 10:47 PM
I think you need more custom texturing. And better arcutexture.
 Cazor
12-29-2003, 6:27 AM
This looks far beyond anything you have made, casper. Try and not be so critical.

Looks very nice to me. Anythign above the quality of the raven maps is definately worth a try. And it's SP... Once i get my PC working i will definately give this a go.
 GothiX
12-29-2003, 9:42 AM
Since Map-Review isn't the right place for this, I figured I'd just do it here:

Architecture:
Ooh, niceness! The maps really got a living flow to it, especially the bridge area. Nothing too drastic, but good nontheless. My first impression was "GTA StarWars style!", merely because you managed to "convert" real-life stuff into futuristic thingies. Kudo's.

Also, on a special note: Many credits to Kengo, there was barely any quality difference between his work, and lasse's. Now, I'm going to shut up about the differences between this, and Prison Escape, or he'll kill me. :P

Texturing and lighting:
The theme you set with the architecture was really enhanced by the lighting - especially on the CorSec HQ. I loved the lighting there. Texturing was pretty solid as well, no misalignments, z-fighting, or not-fitting textures anywhere (Even though I have my doubts with the ad in the first scene, but soit.)

Scripting:
Since I couldn't do gameflow, I fiured I'd do the other main part instead. :) Now, the scripting here is truly awesome. I especially liked the camera movement during the last scenes on the bridge maps. Character animations were also put to very good use - though Makso should've been turned 90 degrees, he was hanging in plain air. Of course, due to the extreme oxigen pressure there, anyone could. :P

Customness:
Omigosh.. Lots of custom stuff here! The startup screen, music, scripts (Duh!), and of course, the excellent voice acting! Many kudo's to Wedge here - would he happen to be a receptionist in real life?

Oh, and lasse.. That Lighthouse texture.. Gold. :D

Overall:
Much fun to watch, looking forward to other episodes! Kengo and Lasse: 9/10!
 lassev
12-30-2003, 1:53 PM
Originally posted by gothicX
Makso, he rocks. Besides, he's got Lasse's eyes. *sigh*

Ugh... I don't even dare to think what that might mean, GothicX. Still, it's best you keep your distance ;)

I agree with everything else said by GothicX. This was great fun now that I could just watch it from the beginning to the end without thinking "That must be fixed, that doesn't work, that is not good, that looks bizarre, etc..."

Kengo's architecture was great, and surprised me truly positively. I have always known he is able to map spectacular locations, if he just takes the time needed and don't rush forward too fast (he has some strange notion that a map should be released in a time shorter than one year). That's exactly what I think GothicX meant; when I was getting on Kengo's nerves by my effective tarrying, he used the time and made here some of his best architecture.
 wedge2211
12-30-2003, 2:16 PM
Omigosh.. Lots of custom stuff here! The startup screen, music, scripts (Duh!), and of course, the excellent voice acting! Many kudo's to Wedge here - would he happen to be a receptionist in real life?
No. I'm a college student. I do hold a campus job tutoring other students in the Newtonian physics class (hopefully will extend that to modern physics next semester, and maybe giving campus tours :P). If you think I was *that* good...I'd be happy to do some other roles...hopefully I haven't stuck myself with receptionists forever....
 Eldritch
12-30-2003, 7:59 PM
*thinks to himself* I need a receptionist... I wonder if Wedge is available? ;)

I think that it turned out great, such as it is. Definitely your best architecture to date, Kengo. And as usual, Lassev, you're right on point with yours.
I agree with a couple of Gothic's comments, and just have a few of my own to add.

1. Most important one to my mind - while I was watching the cutscene, there were a few places where one person started talking before the other was finished, and the subtitles just flashed too quickly to be read. Most notably in the reception / office scenes.

2. Kengo, your scripting continues to improve, but my biggest comment on the scripting is that there needs to be more variety in the camera angles, especially during long scenes (like the last one in Project Corellia). Mix up the angles and perhaps go for a few more close ups, rather than full / half body shots. Take a look at any recent movie and see how they handle the cameras during dialogue heavy scenes (where nothing else is going on).

3. Ple-ase ki-ill off the g-uy wh-o ta-lks lik-e th-is. ;) He was the only one that made me want to turn it off. Not a commentary on the voice actor, just the character.

Can't wait to see the next installment! Nice work, everyone. :thumbsup:
 lassev
12-30-2003, 8:47 PM
Originally posted by Eldritch

1. Most important one to my mind - while I was watching the cutscene, there were a few places where one person started talking before the other was finished, and the subtitles just flashed too quickly to be read. Most notably in the reception / office scenes.

I guess I'm to be blamed for that. However, there was no other choice. In the manuscript people were always interrupting each other, so what can I do but make them interrupt each other? I was experimenting with it really long, to reach a point of compromise, and adjusting them individually so that some more aggressive interruptions would be just like that, but some other might not suffer from a bit longer lag. However, a good interruption must still be abrupt, because otherwise it sounds and looks really bad.
 Eldritch
12-30-2003, 9:36 PM
Lassev, I know they're supposed to interrupt, but it's immediate. They are literally reading all of their lines over each other. I can't understand anything they say.

Casper, I don't know why you snuck back onto LF, since you're just going to get banned again once the mods find out, but the architecture doesn't have to look like Coruscant because it's on Corellia, not Coruscant.
 Casperhead
12-30-2003, 10:05 PM
I woulden't test me eldritch I happen to know you make mapping a higharchy I'm just giving kengo suggestions and no I pmed one of the mods And they let me back in thank you
 Eldritch
12-30-2003, 10:17 PM
"More custom texturing" "better architecture" and "I've seen boxes with better architecture" are not constructive suggestions.

If your intention is truly to be helpful, try making suggestions on how things could be improved, not just saying what needs improvement.
 wedge2211
12-30-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Casperhead
The architecture needs work Pal I have seen boxes with better architecture. No Offence But you map review morons banned me from your site so I'am telling you here the architecture needs to look more like coruscant.

So..."no offence," but you say offensive things. Sheesh. The reason you were banned in the first (and second) place(s) was that you offended people, harassed people, and generally pissed people off. If you can't get it through your head that the general mapping public doesn't want to deal with you...I mean, why do you even bother evading your bans on LF, when you just annoy the same people and get yourself in trouble again? We oughta just start ignoring you, since you're obviously just grabbing for any attention you can get.

Oh, and watch carefully, cause I'm only gonna do this once:

I'm is the contraction for I am.
Hierarchy is the correct spelling of the word, and it's meaning is just an ordering of a group. So I don't even know what you mean about Eldritch turning mapping into a "higharchy." It's a useless thing to say.

Now if you can't say something nice...don't say anything at all.

And...go back up and read my post again, cause I know from experience that you didn't read half to three-quarters of it the first time.
 Kengo
12-30-2003, 11:06 PM
Now Casper I'm not going to go to war with you, its just a waste of time. I can tell you've paid no real interest in my work and so your criticising it is hollow and pointless. Everyone else, please don't bother either, it can just be used against you to turn this thread into another flame war. You can't out reason someone who isn't being reasonable, its as simple as that. Despite this, I appreciate your support, it means a lot.

Casper, I know you need help. I'm not saying this as a joke or an insult, you really do, you know it and I know it. I myself suffer from a mildish mental illness called OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) which I have needed a lot of help to live with. I urge you to do something about yourself before its too late, because the only way is down the way you're acting at the moment. I only see your itnernet personna, but I think that tells me enough about you. What you have done in the past goes beyond angst or pretty normal things like that, and borders on illegal and threatening behavoir. I'm sure things are really difficult, but you're not the only one who's ever felt like that. Things can get better, if you help them to. I don't want to constantly battle with you here because it clearly won't help you or me, so give it up. I'm not interested in being your friend, but I don't want to be involved in making things any worse, so I draw a line under it.

Back to normal operations on this thread...
 Tito
12-30-2003, 11:30 PM
I thought the architecture in this movie was quite good, and I generally couldn't really tell Lassev's work apart from yours, Kengo (except for the parts where I KNEW precisely who had made what)! I must say, I think your mapping skills have improved greatly with each project you've taken on lately! Please keep up the good work!:)

I enjoyed the movie quite much, except I got a little annoyed at Anders too... I don't mind him talking like that, it was quite funny (especially for a Scandinavian guy, since 90% of the people in Scandinavia actually talks like that :p ) but could he at least talk a LITTLE bit faster?!:D

Oh, and like other people pointed out, we have a wild Rodian who's somehow defying gravity!:p

Other than that, excellent work really... When's Part II coming?:D Actually, stop reading this and get back to work!!!;)

Wedge, I hear they're looking for a receptionist at my mothers work...:p (Seriously though, you did a great job voice acting as that receptionist):)
 Kengo
12-31-2003, 1:12 AM
Originally posted by Tito
I thought the architecture in this movie was quite good, and I generally couldn't really tell Lassev's work apart from yours, Kengo

I enjoyed the movie quite much, except I got a little annoyed at Anders too... I don't mind him talking like that, it was quite funny (especially for a Scandinavian guy, since 90% of the people in Scandinavia actually talks like that :p ) but could he at least talk a LITTLE bit faster?!:D

Oh, and like other people pointed out, we have a wild Rodian who's somehow defying gravity!:p

Other than that, excellent work really... When's Part II coming?:D Actually, stop reading this and get back to work!!!;)

A great compliment indeed, thanks :)

Leslie Judge did a great job at the voice I asked him to do, but I think you're right, I asked him to do it too slow, too stop-start, speeding it up a little would help the flow. Anders certainly seems to be a love-hate character, some people say hes their favourite, and a lot of people have said "is he supposed to sound like that?"

I don't know how I managed to miss that Rodian leaning thing, lets call it a deliberate in-joke...

Part II has a draft script, will need to see what Niall Hnderson can come up wit (he did all the funny jokes for Part 1) and then Bingo, will get it to the voice actors early 2004, and start mapping and scripting....
 lassev
12-31-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Eldritch
Lassev, I know they're supposed to interrupt, but it's immediate. They are literally reading all of their lines over each other. I can't understand anything they say.

That's interesting indeed. At some point faulty (early and raw) cinematic master script produced that effect, but the problem was of course removed when I corrected the errors. But clearly the script is not working for you as it should. I thought earlier you just criticized the timing. Trust me, the way the cinematic is intended to run is clear enough that nobody should have big difficulties with it.

As I don't have any idea what might be causing the problem for you, I guess you are in the same boat with Wedge who still don't own the game and must thus wait for the QT or some other independent movie version.

The architecture needs work Pal I have seen boxes with better architecture... I'am telling you here the architecture needs to look more like coruscant.

I don't personally see any reason why our architecture should look anything but convenient, that is, good enough so that it won't hurt your eyes to look at and on the other hand economical enough so that not too much time is spent on something that only is shown for a short while with predefined camera angles. As it is, it already took long enough.
 Kengo
12-31-2003, 12:19 PM
There have been a few other mentions of the problem, I have no idea what it is. Some file we have, and you don't is my best guess...that or a certain setting.

The Quicktime version is hopefully on the way, someone offered to help me out with it, so here's hoping. In future the JA version is always likely to come out a few days before (to give JA owners the benefit) before the QT version, seems fair :)

The level is now also avaliable at Massassi!

http://www.massassi.net/levels/files/2902.shtml)
 wedge2211
12-31-2003, 2:58 PM
Another thought is that if you make it into a real movie format, you can cut together scenes in ways that can't be done in-game, apply transitions, a couple effects, etc, with something as simple as Windows Movie Maker...
 Kengo
12-31-2003, 5:04 PM
That's a cool idea Wedge, I happen to be a big fan of Movie Maker and have played around with it a lot in the past. That would give a reason for those who only saw the JA edition to also download this, as well as adding some extra sheen!
 GothiX
12-31-2003, 5:10 PM
So we have to wait another month? :p
 Kengo
12-31-2003, 6:03 PM
So we have to wait another month? :p

I think we'll just release 42 different version of Part 1, over a period of 4 years :)
 Business_Eskimo
12-31-2003, 7:59 PM
Sounds fun! :D

Edit: I intended this post to be directly after Kengo's not Casper's.:)
 Business_Eskimo
12-31-2003, 8:03 PM
I diden't get banned for harassing other members you dumbass.

Oh really. Why were you banned then?:rolleyes:
 Cazor
12-31-2003, 8:28 PM
But you are harassing now. You really don't seem to understand.
 Kengo
12-31-2003, 8:39 PM
I got a better idea how about you keep out of my thread and I will keep out of you and you pathetic higharchy's threads okay Because I'd rather be castrated before having anything to do with map review scum as your self.

Firstly, you aren't keeping out of this thread. Secondly, I haven't posted on yours. And third, directing all your anger at the Map-Review staff is pointless, because we aren't the cause of any of your problems. I meant what I said, get some help. Threatening people, as you have done nummerous times, and I mean threatening in the fullest sense (and thats just on these open forums everyone can see, let along the notorious AIM conversations people have posted with you) shows that you are unstable.
 Kengo
12-31-2003, 8:52 PM
Heh> I would have nothing against map review if You bastards would have listen to me in the first place I asked you idiots nicly to take my maps of your site did you listen NO!! So you caused this Doush Bag

Ah, so this is what its all about - you picked a fight with me over this? We don't have your maps on our site, we have reviews of your maps on our site. The difference is we don't have anything that you own on our site, we have an opinion on something you created. Now in the UK, and the United States, where me and you come from, there is this thing called Free Speach. It's part of our unalienable rights I believe, in our resident nations. So therefore, as long as what we say isn't actually a lie, a flasehood, then we can say whatever we want. Our reviews told no lies, they had opinions of your maps, opinions that weren't favurable, I remember, you added Wedge, our reviewer on MSN and had a Caps lock all the way attack at him. Threatened him and the site I believe. Really, you DO need help, can't you see that? You think this is rational, what you are doing?
 Kengo
12-31-2003, 9:09 PM
Free speech Casper. If you want to take this to court or something, go ahead. I'm surprised you haven't already threatened to do that, I'm sure you have some friends who are High Court Judges, Lawyers and such. Or maybe threatening people who don't do what you want is more your style. Does it work with little kids? Or old ladies?

You know what I got an Idea I will get your thread closed this pathetic thing deserves to be closed anyway You map review idiots got my last thread cloase I might as well have my freinds come in here and get this one closed

You don't scare anyone Casper, you're a little kid threatening people. None of the Admins are your friends, I don't believe anyone who sees this can think much of you at the moment. I did my best to stop you turning this thread into a flame war, but you managed it anyway. You're upset at our reviews of your maps so you do this? Here's what you said to Wedge on AIM, very "nice":

LC Tusken: Hello Are you there?
*** Auto-response sent to LC Tusken: I'm probably not here.
LC Tusken: TAKE MY MAP OFF THE SITE DO IT NOW!!!
LC Tusken: IM CASPER YOU DID NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO POST MY MAP TAKE IT OFF
LC Tusken: NEYHER DID YOU HAVE PERMISSION TO REVEIW TAKE IT OFF!
LC Tusken: TAKE CORUSCANT STREETS 2 OFF JK2 REVEIW NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You haven't changed have you? Don't you have something better to do than attack Map-Review and it's staff? If you can't see you're just digging yourself a deeper and deeper hole, then you're more delusional than I thought. Seriously, what the hell are you trying to do?
 Mercenary
12-31-2003, 9:10 PM
Casper, give it a rest you've gone far enough. Don't be surprised if this time you become completely ostracized by the JO/JA modding community.
 wedge2211
12-31-2003, 9:52 PM
Kengo- Ignore him. If you incite him, he'll only get worse. My advice is to simply not address any more comments to him, and just click that nifty little "report to moderator" button.

He's already caused one of your showcases to be closed, get the mods to jump on him early so they don't have to shut this one down, too.
 Zappa_0
12-31-2003, 10:22 PM
Isnt it time just let things go? Casper just wants to make things right. Wedge, Kengo and who everelse just leave it at what it is. He is right you all do tend to go overboard on your reviews and see too much negitive things. So try to make a New Years resilution, try to become better people in what you do among the community.

OK... to try to get the thread back on track, I have not yet watch this and I shall download it right now. Ive heard alot about it and people are trying to get me to do what you do. But thats not my thing. I would rather film with great players of JO/JA. And now for a plug for The Jedi's Demise. You can find the trailer HERE (http://www.pcgamemods.com/3633/) . I should be releasing some of the movie in a few weeks. Also after the download is done I will watch it and tell you what I think.
 Zappa_0
12-31-2003, 11:03 PM
AH well certainly a nice job. Liked the Mission Impossible thing, it was cool. I was hoping to see alittle action in this, but it still was ok. Scripting would definatly be for me, if it looked alittle better. I think I would get better camra views and it would be alittle more life like. But anyway keep up the nice work, I would most certainly like to see more from you guys.
 Business_Eskimo
12-31-2003, 11:40 PM
Map Review moderators:
Casper has just spammed the map review messageboards.

http://www.map-review.com/forums/index.php)
 wedge2211
01-01-2004, 12:09 AM
It's under control.
 Business_Eskimo
01-01-2004, 12:10 AM
Great, thanks. Kengo, ignore the PM I sent you.
 Eldritch
01-01-2004, 12:22 AM
Yes, Zappa - I can see he truly wants to make things right.

LF mods - How long do you plan to sit on your butts?
 Casperhead
01-01-2004, 12:25 AM
Hahaha the best thing is I diden't spam you this time I will soon once I get a fake email made up It was my freinds this time but the best thing is I'am not telling you who they are MAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
 Tito
01-01-2004, 1:09 AM
Casper, WHY???

You can stop this now... This is going nowhere... Spamming does WHAT to them? Well, I don't think they're pretty hurt from 50 messages telling them to shut up or something like that... And on the other hand, while they only have to delete a few messages, you get banned from a lot of JA sites and possibly kicked off any MOD teams you're working on (and losing credibility with everyone, basically being thrown out of the community)... It's not worth it man, it's definatly not worth it...:(
 idontlikegeorge
01-01-2004, 1:55 AM
Wow, Casper sure showed the "higharchy" and the evil elitist boys over at map-review a thing or two!

:rolleyes:

"Isnt it time just let things go? Casper just wants to make things right. Wedge, Kengo and who everelse just leave it at what it is. He is right you all do tend to go overboard on your reviews and see too much negitive things."

Whatever. Casper is the one with the chip on his shoulder, flaming damn near everyone on even these boards who make any sort of comment or suggestion he doesn't like.

For what reason? Who cares? Roll up a blunt, smoke it, and chill the **** out. Jesus.

Anyway... looking at the non-drama posts in this thread, it seems that all the reviews are from those in the map-review community... so maybe a bit biased? :p So I'll post my thoughts about the little project.

The Good:

I really respect the work in this project... to script a bunch of cameras and actors, and coordinate them all takes alot of planning and work... and the maps themselves aren't too shabby, either.

There are some cute things, like the Mission Impossible theme part... and the story itself seems entertaining and sound, and a bit tongue-in-cheek.

The setting for the scene with Carlet arriving at the CorSec building was nicely done... architecturally, atleast.

The Bad:

Anders' dialogue really got to me. Not the voice, which was one of the clearer voices - and I guess this Anders character is "special" - but after the first few times he spoke, I got sick of the slow way he spoke... it got frustrating having to listen to a three-word phrase take a minute to be spoken.

Also, the Chief's voice sounded far away and faint. Pretty much the only bad voice - I remember "playing" Occupation 1, and I couldn't even complete it because I couldn't stand the horrible quality of the voices - but in Team Corellia, the voices were much much better.

Some of the scenes seem to drag on - not as bad as say, the 2nd & 3rd Matrix movies - but for being a 5 minutes or so movie, there really shouldn't be any points where the viewer will stop and think "ok, blah blah, wrap it up please..."

Of course, speeding up Anders' dialogue could help the problem as well, but it wasn't just the Bridge Street scene that dragged on.

I felt the scene with Carlet walking to the CorSec office to be awfully inane - and (YAY!) we got a great view of the sidewalk! The conversation with the secretary (haha wedge#### is a secretary :p ) also seemed sort of pointless. Perhaps if there was a little more emotion, or quicker comebacks, it would have been better.

Anyway, I realize there aren't easy ways to "fix" these things - I have played with scripting, and took me awhile just to get a single camera to move and pan to where I wanted it! But I would hope, that perhaps in future episodes, there will be a bit more optimizing of the flow of the cutscenes.

Blah blah blah... anyway, I have to go get drunk now. :)
 Tito
01-01-2004, 2:50 AM
Originally posted by idontlikegeorge
it seems that all the reviews are from those in the map-review community...

Hey, at least I'm not in the staff (though I do strive to become the Official Forum Maniac or at least Official Forum Regular:D)!:p

But yeah, this thread took a nasty sideturn along the road... Let's just ignore ANYONE who starts flaming again and hope they go away! Yeah, you hear me, you're all a bunch of ****************************************** **** **************** ****** *********!!!:p Okay, like I said, ignore stuff like that!:D

So... Any small spoilers about what Part II might involve?:D
 lassev
01-01-2004, 11:32 AM

I felt the scene with Carlet walking to the CorSec office to be awfully inane - and (YAY!) we got a great view of the sidewalk!

Um... You know what, you are absolutely right. I guess I knew that all along, but after I had spent hours and still many hours more mapping the setting, I just didn't have the heart to cut it out. Believe it or not, but I shortened it quite a bit! But I just couldn't cut the whole scene with Car'Let walking into the building out. Kengo would have done that, if he had been a real movie director, and not such a fine fellow as he is. I guess he took pity on me, and didn't say anything, but let it be there (although, just as you said, it is useless and doesn't bring into the movie anything but a glance at some architecture).

Anyway, I realize there aren't easy ways to "fix" these things - I have played with scripting, and took me awhile just to get a single camera to move and pan to where I wanted it! But I would hope, that perhaps in future episodes, there will be a bit more optimizing of the flow of the cutscenes.

Well, as it is quite likely that I'm not mapping or scripting for the next episodes, you just might get what you wished for!
 Kengo
01-01-2004, 3:14 PM
I'm with you Tito, the threats are empty, so pay them no heed.

Zappa, I'd like to hear what you think. As for your earlier comment, all I will say is that clearly a load of posts have been deleted from this thread, you can see quite a lot of them in the various quotes.

IDLG - Appreciate the review :) I think you've picked up on the main points to address or look at for Part 2. Leslie Judge did really good with the voice of Anders, but I think in making him leave all those pauses I was overemphasising the fact that Anders is supposed to be a little strange and not completely at home with the language. It is too slow, and thats down to what I asked LJ to try to do (he did what I asked spot on!) - so we'll look at speeding his speech up in part 2.

The chief's voice was a little crackly, so I will talk to the voice actor to try to address that.

It is a little slow in places. I personally liked the slow walk of Car'Lets which although not vital to the story - made this middle section of the story more central and balanced out better with the long bridge street part. I also liked the idea of an atmospheric, long scene with some SW music and a look at the city streets to really promote that SW feeling. Also, Lasse's architecture had far more showoff-ability than mine, it deserved a long viewing time I thought :) As the first part, all of us were a little new to it and pacing is a hard thing to master, we will continue to work on that!

I also had some rather over-long conversations at Bridge Street where a character talks for a long time with no jokes. I will keep the final product in mind more clearly when editing the script for part 2.

GothiX, appreciate your review too. This cool feedback is a big help :)
 Tito
01-01-2004, 4:57 PM
I thought the long walk was funny... I looked at it like a deliberate joke, like it's supposed to be dramatic in the beginning, then drags out for a long time...:p
 wedge2211
01-01-2004, 9:38 PM
Like the opening spaceship flyby in Space Balls? :cool:
 Zappa_0
01-02-2004, 2:29 AM
Originally posted by Zappa_0
AH well certainly a nice job. Liked the Mission Impossible thing, it was cool. I was hoping to see alittle action in this, but it still was ok. Scripting would definatly be for me, if it looked alittle better. I think I would get better camra views and it would be alittle more life like. But anyway keep up the nice work, I would most certainly like to see more from you guys.

Kengo it looks like you over looked my responce!:D
 Kengo
01-02-2004, 3:01 PM
Oh yes, so I did Zappa.

The MI bit was one of my favourite parts too, Niall came up with that bit!

There is definately more action in this than anything I scripted before, and Lassev did his usual superb job with the scripting. Hopefully as we learn more we can have more action like you say - that is I think the hardest thing to script, but perhaps the most rewarding too. I was pretty pleased with ther Camera work but again, hopefully we'll improve with practice :)
 lassev
01-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Real action, like fighting, might prove out to be quite interesting a challenge. I have never scripted such. Hmm. I think Kengo has, if memory serves. Of course it would be quite easy with with the saber fighting, although the unpredictability might prove out to be a problem considering the placement and usage of cameras (follow command with camera groups sure would help).

However, as Team Corellia (until now I have called this Corellian Incident, and for some bizarre reason Kengo never corrected me :p ) does not contain but one saber user, I think the problem of creating more activity and a higher pace of action will be a bit more difficult. However, it might still work by letting in some randomness by avoiding an exclusive use of behavior_state("cinematic"). Some waypoints and point_of_combats, and there should be some nice action and exchange of bullets.

Kengo sure knows how to use dynamic camera movements, so he can easily increase the tempo just by using surprising angles and aggressive movements. Then throw in some script controlled explosions and smoke, and I think even idontlikegeorge would be forced to agree that the west front is not anymore so quiet...
 wedge2211
01-02-2004, 10:59 PM
Can't you just make a few NPCs with appropriate team settings and health values, and then let them go at each other with a few defined waypoints, and then cut camera angles as the battle progresses? I think something similar was done for the Luke/Desann matchup on the Cairn dock.
 GothiX
01-03-2004, 8:29 AM
The Luke/Desann battle was scripted for every animation.
Page: 1 of 3