Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Gamorrean Guard Model

Page: 1 of 2
 HapSlash
06-02-2003, 4:20 AM
There's been a lot of talk about the Gamorrean Model I've been working on,... in both the public forum and among the team. So, I thought that maybe it was time to show how the thing was coming along.

Just for convenience here's the first pic I posted,...

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/gamorrean-guard.jpg)

Infinity Blade pointed out to me that the guard looked kinda like me,... So, after punching him in the head, I decided that those handsome chiseled features and rugged good looks were far too great to waste on such a model. Therefor, I reworked the head, added the shoulder strap, and lengthened the skirt around his waist. A few other small alterations were also done, but nothing very noticeable

Here's the new pic,...

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/gamorrean_guard.jpg)

Fire away,...!
 Geoffrey S
06-02-2003, 12:01 PM
The model looks fine to me. The skin is great, although the Gamorrean's skin and shirt could use some more texture to it. The face looks a lot better than the first version.
 Darth_Linux
06-02-2003, 2:48 PM
HapSlash don't forget that we were thinking of replacing the Reborn with the Gamo. Guard so that coding his attack behavior would be easier. Please keep this in mind when naming the skin pieces, etc.

thanks
Dave
 recombinant
06-02-2003, 4:09 PM
...then the GamGuard can shout "Jedi!"

;)
 Jeff 42
06-03-2003, 4:48 PM
Do you fear me?
 Infinity Blade
06-03-2003, 5:34 PM
I hope you clean up some of his AI.. and remove jumping altogether....

I can see it now... a Gamorrean sitting there.... and sitting there.... sidesteps a little..... THEN JUMPS....30 feet into the air... lands right in front of you... Then stops.

He waits a little.... waits a little.. Strafes a bit... Charges forth... and POW!!!!

You unload into him, and he's dead before he gets into swinging distance.... :D
 The Count
06-03-2003, 7:25 PM
It looks great.
 t3rr0r
06-03-2003, 7:44 PM
looks great... but the nostrils look a little too wide.

not-so-wide (http://www.starwars.com/databank/species/gamorrean/img/movie_bg.jpg)
 HapSlash
06-03-2003, 8:53 PM
Yeah,... that became more apparent when I increased the size of his snout. It's a simple texture problem, so it should be easy enough to fix.
 HapSlash
06-03-2003, 9:09 PM
 Katarn07
06-03-2003, 9:46 PM
See the reference photo.

Need to add that circular plate dealy on his torso ;)

And his AI not only needs to be adjusted so he doesn't do intricate moves, he should be slowed down!
 Crowy
06-04-2003, 12:57 AM
nice work hapslash it doesnt loook half as blocky as that older one one
 ImmolatedYoda
06-04-2003, 3:08 AM
rofl Jeff 42 that was perfect... I sense you, Jedi...

anyway, the model looks great, maybe a little too greenish on the skin tone tho, maybe more like the pic that t3rr0r posted.
 ninja
06-04-2003, 7:18 PM
hey now this model is looking way better than its predasesor. heres a little nice pic for ya.
http://www.nasm.edu/StarWars/images/BookImages/gamor.jpg)
as you can see this is a very detailed pic of this character. i even have a good costume pic of landos outfit in jabbas palace. if you would like to see more starwars characters, go to my request page in the request forum. theres alot of ideas from me and other people in there. i wish i knew that you were making this model since it was one of my requests, how very odd. too bad you did'nt get to see this pic months ago. and not to seem like i'm talking bad about your work, even though its better than the other model, you can tell that from my pic that the model is'nt very acurate. i think maybe the face needs to look a little more meaner, the leather behind the head is connected to the torso, kinda like a hooded sweater. slim him down a bit, change the belt, and then fatten up under the belt a little bit as shown in the picture. and no chest muscles. maybe this pic will help a little. though it might be too late now.
 Infinity Blade
06-04-2003, 8:09 PM
As far as no chest muscles.... Something tells me you didn't look at the second more recent pic. The textures are still in the works, and I know Hap has a base musle texture he uses when sizing the body and shaping the model and UVW's....

And about resizing the proportions as in that picture... That looks like it's just a suit with nobody in it. So the sizes would be off... I've seen some other pictures that would show the proportions to be pretty close.

But the belt and hood could be different though.
 HapSlash
06-04-2003, 9:07 PM
When I start a project I normally base it off dozens of resource photos, and so far, I've never seen any other pics where the costume looked the same as in the one you posted. I'd have to agree with IB,... that the empty ill-fitting costume over a basic mannequin, looks quite different when there's someone inside it.

Your kinda right about the hood though, for the most part, but it isn't actually attached to his torso. It's a cloth skirt that was fixed to the bottom of the head to hide the actors neck. During filming it would be stuffed down the inside of the collar to get the look you see in that picture. But not all of them were stuffed in the same, sometimes the back would just be left hanging out.

It probably would look better stuffed in, but I was just trying to cop out,... :dev7:

And as far as everyone's texture problems go, try to remember that I haven't even finished the model yet, so it's gonna be a while before the textures are all corrected.
 neo262
06-07-2003, 10:29 PM
Gammoreans don't wear miniskirts...
 HapSlash
06-07-2003, 11:43 PM
 neo262
06-07-2003, 11:58 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! That is hilarious!!!!! LMAO! Release that as a multiplayer skin! Gammoreans Gone Wild.
 Katarn07
06-08-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by neo262
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! That is hilarious!!!!! LMAO! Release that as a multiplayer skin! Gammoreans Gone Wild.

Meh, that has nothing against Pimp Kyle :D
 Solbe M'ko
06-08-2003, 3:09 AM
Ahm... may I suggest you make the skin a little more earthy looking and a little less neon looking? It's a really nice model, but the skin is just too vividly green for my taste.
 Fracman
06-08-2003, 6:21 AM
No wonder, it's morphing to a Gammo-Rodian-bastard :D
 ImmolatedYoda
06-08-2003, 7:06 PM
ROFL, if you release the Gam as a multiplayer model, you HAVE to include that skin!
 neo262
06-08-2003, 11:04 PM
Most definately!
 The Cheat
06-21-2003, 11:40 AM
this is looking excellent, i like the other gamorrean model but this one just looks so much more realistic. Are you gonna release it for multiplayer before the mod is completed or will it only be in the mod?
 Fracman
06-21-2003, 1:11 PM
Hehe.... it will be only in the MotP-Mod :D
 The Cheat
06-21-2003, 3:02 PM
just a quick question, what does motp stand for?
 Fracman
06-21-2003, 5:34 PM
Mysteries of the Pimp
see there... http://bobley5.tripod.com/projects/motp.html)
 ImmolatedYoda
06-21-2003, 6:19 PM
uhh...Frac, i think he was talking about the Gamorrean model in general, no the Pimp skin. personally, i think it would be a good idea to release some of the DF MOD models/skins to the public before release just for publicity, but it aint up to me.
 Fracman
06-21-2003, 6:34 PM
I know... what each member does apart the mod regards only himself, but i think we won't release any major stuff until the mod is finished. Ask Darth_Linux...
 The Cheat
06-22-2003, 12:27 AM
mysteries of the pimp? that sounds awesome. the screens are pretty cool, kind of disturbing, but cool
 risnuff
06-22-2003, 1:39 AM
Those models look great! Close to professional work! :)
 The Cheat
06-22-2003, 3:34 PM
they are beyond professional work in my opinion, the community puts so much more work into the models they create so they are much more realistic and accurate

also, hapslash will you be using your version of the stormtrooper in the dark forces mod?
 HapSlash
06-22-2003, 4:54 PM
Yeah, there even was a pic of the Stormtooper posted on the website before it went down, as well as the Imperial Officer. I've worked on many other models that could be used in the mod as well. Whether or not they will actually turn out to be used, only time will tell.

As for the question on releasing models before the Mod is released, any model I work on, I will release as soon as it's finished.

Unless, it's something that was created specifically for the Mod...

I'm currently working on a General Mohc model and have started on a few others which are Dark Forces specific characters, so I have no real intentions of releasing them outside the Mod at any time.

... or it's something that most people would have no real use for.

I'm not sure of the model alterations yet, such as the Imperial Officer or the Stormtrooper. I can't imagine them being very popular as multiplayer models, which basically leaves the SP game. Now I can understand the wish to replace the original game models when you play it, but by now most people just breeze through the game using cheats, which would lessen the effect that I had hoped the models would make. Seeing them for the first time in this Mod might give more of the impression I'm hoping for.

Any other model should be considered fair game, and will be released when ready.
 The Cheat
06-22-2003, 7:43 PM
will the models like general mohc that are created specifically for the mod so therefore will not be released before the mod is released be playable in multiplayer once the mod is completed?
 Fracman
06-22-2003, 8:10 PM
In first order, we obviously have to create and finish the models,
remember, in DF they were just sprite animations, which does not make it easier to bring them to life in JO.

There has not been any decision other than to first finish the mod.
We have not yet to release anything since we're in the middle of work in process.

Our team leader may certainly reconsider this later, when the team has produced enough material.
But currently, public releases, especially multiplayer models based on DF ennemies, are njet.

Please understand it is our own intention to have the DF ennemies jump&run around in DFMOD maps before they do so in any other JO MP map. :p

Excerpt of the DFMOD FAQ:
Q: When are you going to release the MOD finally??? :confused:
A: :wid:
 The Cheat
06-22-2003, 9:35 PM
but will they be available in multiplayer when the entire mod is completed not just while u are working on the mod
 HapSlash
06-23-2003, 1:21 AM
It hasn't been my intention to go to the trouble of making them available for download outside the mod. I've never really imagined a lot of people really wanting to play as General Mohc or Moff Rebus in multiplayer. But if there is enough call for it, I'm sure something will be done.
 The Cheat
06-23-2003, 1:24 AM
I dont think u understand my question. when the mod is finished and all of these models are in single player will they also be available in the multiplayer. i wouldnt download them seperatly they would just come with the mod when they are done.
 HapSlash
06-23-2003, 1:57 AM
In order for the characters to be available in multiplayer they have to have character icons that can be chosen from the selection screen. This mod is going to be quite a large download, so I'm sure that anything that can be cut from it, will be. One of these things, I imagine, would be the icons. They aren't needed for the mod to work, and while one icon doesn't add up to much, icons for all the characters would. Then there are other things like team skins and such that I'm sure are not going to be available in the mod.
 Darth_Linux
06-23-2003, 2:12 AM
to clarify a few things, there is ONE model available now for download and use in multiplayer and that is the Commando. Problem is, our website is in limbo still and until that gets sorted out there is no where for you to download it from.

Also, the modelers are free to package and distribute their models that they make for this mod at anytime they choose. The mod itself will not be including a multitude of skin variations, icons and sounds that would be needed for MP for the reasons HapSlash noted. But, if HapSlash wants to make a Gammorean MP model pack and release it tomorrow, he certainly has that right. In other words, it's up to each model maker to do this if they desire, but the Dark Forces MOD itself will not contain these extras.
 The Cheat
06-23-2003, 9:24 AM
ok, thanks for clearing it up for me guys, sorry about the misunderstanding.

btw have you thought about having 2 downloads one for people on 56k modems that will just run the mod and one for people on broadband that has some extras? just a thought and i guess the second one would probably be out later if that was done but i guess if somebody has some spare time after this mod is created then they might create icons and team skins for people to download
 Darth_Linux
06-24-2003, 3:52 AM
we'll probably have a pretty massive download for broadband users, and possibly make some arrangements to have the MOD on CDROM for people on modems still. There would be a small charge for shipping of course, but the MOD itself would be free.
 Infinity Blade
06-24-2003, 6:18 AM
I dunno.... something about any sort of monetary transaction doesn't seem like a good idea....

I'd suggest instead breaking the file into seperate parts (maybe 10), that way they can recombine later.. doesn't cost them anything except their time.....

And it would actually get there faster... especially if overseas.
 Geoffrey S
06-24-2003, 7:15 AM
Or some kind of arrangement with PCGamer or another magazine for the full version to be on the coverdiscs?
 CortoCG
06-24-2003, 10:25 AM
No more updates.
 Darth_Linux
06-24-2003, 1:01 PM
there's nothing in the license against charging for media and shipping. It'd be like $3.50 to most places in the USA . . .
 Fracman
06-24-2003, 2:33 PM
So for Europeans...
 Darth_Linux
06-24-2003, 11:19 PM
. . . whatever the shipping charges would be.
 The Count
06-25-2003, 6:16 AM
Or they use something like Download Accelerator, and pause it when they need to come offline and leave it on overnight (Thank God I don't have 56k anymore, that really sucked)
Page: 1 of 2