Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Page: 16 of 38
 Achilles
10-04-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Fred Tetra
New version of Kotor Tool posted today.

v1.0.1738.39111 (2004-10-4)

Features/updates:

Removed registration requirement
Added RIM search feature to Tools menu*

* Some of you, depending on when you downloaded a release, may have seen a mysterious "Test Function" button ... now you know what it was for :) Fred, I get an error that states, "Could not find a part of the path 'G:\SW_KOTOR\Modules'" when I click in the new tool.
 Fred Tetra
10-05-2004, 4:55 AM
Originally posted by Achilles
Fred, I get an error that states, "Could not find a part of the path 'G:\SW_KOTOR\Modules'" when I click in the new tool.

Re-download the setup program. The code was set to used the fixed path instead of the dynamic one and should work fine now :)
 Achilles
10-05-2004, 6:23 AM
Re-download the setup program. The code was set to used the fixed path instead of the dynamic one and should work fine now :) Error reading setup initialization file :(
 MTV2
10-05-2004, 6:25 AM

v1.0.1738.39111 (2004-10-4)

Features/updates:

Removed registration requirement
Added RIM search feature to Tools menu*

* Some of you, depending on when you downloaded a release, may have seen a mysterious "Test Function" button ... now you know what it was for :)
When I double click the setup button it says: Error reading setup initialization file:confused: , then it just closes
 Fred Tetra
10-05-2004, 6:42 AM
Sounds like the whole setup file didn't get downloaded. Check the file's properties to verify that the file length is 2,204,222 bytes. If not, re-download.
 Achilles
10-05-2004, 6:55 AM
Sounds like the whole setup file didn't get downloaded. Check the file's properties to verify that the file length is 2,204,222 bytes. If not, re-download. I tried it twice, but I'll try it again :)

EDIT: Third try didn't help. Setup file (as downloaded) is 1.41mb. I hope that helps.
 Fred Tetra
10-05-2004, 7:52 AM
Looks like my end is the problem! I re-uploaded the installer - sorry for the hassle folks!
 Achilles
10-05-2004, 8:43 AM
Fred,

Installer works now, but whenever I try to utilize the new search feature, I receive an error that states,"Arithmatic operation resulted in an overflow".
 Fred Tetra
10-05-2004, 9:45 AM
Can you email the actual exception detail text to me? Thanks!

EDIT: Please include the search string, case selection and file types checked, too.

And thanks for not being one of those people who posts it here :D
 MTV2
10-05-2004, 2:50 PM
Sounds like the whole setup file didn't get downloaded. Check the file's properties to verify that the file length is 2,204,222 bytes. If not, re-download.
it says:1,486,848 bytes:confused:
EDIT: I got it, Thanx fred
 Fred Tetra
10-06-2004, 7:48 AM

v1.0.1740.15239 (2004-10-6)

Features/updates:

Fixed bug that would prevent the search in Rims for text feature from working with some KotOR installations.
 Xavier2
10-06-2004, 7:55 AM

v1.0.1740.15239 (2004-10-6)

Features/updates:

Fixed bug that would prevent the search in Rims for text feature from working with some KotOR installations.

First. Thank tou very much for such a great tool. There are no words to describe the usefulness and productive raise of your tool for Kotor modding:) :) :)

Regarding this new version, does it fix that bug Achiles posted above?

Xavier2
 Fred Tetra
10-06-2004, 8:40 AM
Indeed that is what it fixes.

Achilles was having trouble with Kotor Tool, as you read above. I sent him an SFV file of my modules/*.rim files and we discovered that some of them differed. Upon examining a few of the files, (which, incidently, only differ in the Z-axis values of items and triggers...hmm), I realized that it wasn't the .rim files, but rather the non-.rim files (like .mod) that were the problem. The new code examines only .rim files in the modules folder now. I may expand the feature to BIF/ERF/MOD files if there is enough call for it.

Oh, and "you're welcome" :) I am glad you find it useful and it improves your enjoyment of KotOR.
 tk102
10-06-2004, 11:15 AM
I was having the same problems as Achilles, but this version works just fine.

I may expand the feature to BIF/ERF/MOD files if there is enough call for it.

I think it would be time well-spent to expand the search to templates.bif and scripts.bif -- there's a lot of good stuff in there and scripts.bif is the only place that .nss files are found.

The templates.bif file takes longer to search though, and one thing you can do is a pre-search, reading the raw .bif file chunk by chunk, searching for the search-string. That's pretty fast to do, and if you don't find it, then you don't have to scour through the .key/.bif relationship.

Good job Fred.
 Drog
10-06-2004, 11:54 AM
It's not gone, just go to Tools | Options and check the boxes for Show Module Descriptions and Show Module Locations. They've been there for some time :) As soon as you close the window, the treeview will rebuild as appropriate.

Doh im stupid :p
 Darth333
10-07-2004, 12:07 PM
Everything seems to work fine for me now :) Thank Fred, this is very practical. Tk has a good idea: expanding the search to templates.bif and scripts.bif would be great. In fact those are the files I use the most.

I added a word concerning Kotor tool on our main page: http://www.starwarsknights.com/)

How would you say that in French?
"Le programmeur qui code plus rapidement que sa propre ombre"?

A bit late but I think you know the answer :D oui!

Keep up the great work!
 Fred Tetra
10-08-2004, 8:06 PM
Originally posted by Darth333

I added a word concerning Kotor tool on our main page: http://www.starwarsknights.com/)

Keep up the great work!

Thank you for the nice mention on the site! Very kind :)
 Achilles
10-10-2004, 12:36 PM
I recently noticed that I receive a pop-up telling me that only registered users will have editing access whenever I click on the Inventory button after opening a .utp file in KT. Does anyone else get this or is it just me?
 Darth333
10-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Yup. Me too and the reg key for the other versions doesn't work with the new version.

I get that for merchants (*.utm) and placeables (*.utp)
 Fred Tetra
10-10-2004, 7:12 PM

v1.0.1742.41479 (2004-10-10)

Features/updates:

Search function now searches in RIM and BIF files.
Fixed "registered user only" problems in UTM and UTP editors.
 Darth333
10-10-2004, 7:28 PM
Works great now. Thanks again Fred! :)

Just thought it was good to mention that simply upgrading KT won't remove the pop-up about registration. I had to uninstall and reinstall (which takes only a few seconds )
 Darth_ToMeR
10-12-2004, 5:06 AM
Fred, I registerd on v1.0.1735.36110
but you didn't answerd my email.
Can you please answer me?
And do i need to send you the file again? Because didn't registerd in the latest version.
Thanks.
 Darth333
10-12-2004, 5:37 AM
Darth Tomer: the registration requirement has been removed from the latest version ;)
 Darth_ToMeR
10-12-2004, 6:23 AM
Originally posted by Darth333
Darth Tomer: the registration requirement has been removed from the latest version ;)
Oh, Yeah i just downloaded it. Thanks. :)
 Fred Tetra
10-12-2004, 1:08 PM
I have been meaning to send out a "form letter" to all of those folks who haven't downloaded the latest version of Kotor Tool and no longer need to register.

If someone is aware of a public listserv that I can use to make release announcements through (my ISP thinks sending out 225 emails to registered users is 'spam' heh heh), please let me know. It would be nice for folks to subscribe so that they can get an email whenever there's a new version.

I am working on a new feature for Kotor Tool that will cause it to check for and download the latest version, as needed. It is unfortunately difficult to do in a robust failure-proof manner, even with Microsoft's help.
 StormSinger
10-13-2004, 11:27 PM
I installed the newest version on 10/12 and since then I've had nothing but problems using it. The previous versions worked with very few exceptions, but this new one has my system doing loops.

The dialog editor has trashed many hours of work "on save", I get constant errors trying to extract/save various files and ultimately, my entire system becomes unstable.

I love the program, it's the swiss army knife of editing tools and I'd hate to have to stop using it if there's a fix for this. I've done numerous checks on my system to see if there may be another cause, but everything runs fine until KotOR tool crashes... from there, all I can do is reboot or other programs start crashing.

I can't tell if it's the program itself, or there's something corrupt in the .NET framework - or something else.
 Fred Tetra
10-19-2004, 8:19 AM

1.0.1752.41487 (2004-10-19)

Features/updates:

Added Most Recently Used files feature to File menu. It tracks the last 10 files opened. (suggested by ChAiNz)
Added the ability to handle Creature Items (attacks and hides) to the Inventory Editor in the Character Editor. (Thanks to Achilles for reminding me this wasn't done)
Fixed a bug that made the Trash function in the Inventory Editor unreliable. (Thx/to T7Nowhere)
Fixed a bug that would cause Kotor Tool to stop opening a set of files chosen via the Open GFF Files menu when one of the files in the list was not a GFF file.
 ChAiNz.2da
10-19-2004, 8:52 AM

1.0.1752.41487 (2004-10-19)

Features/updates:

Added Most Recently Used files feature to File menu. It tracks the last 10 files opened. (suggested by ChAiNz)

No doubt about it...you are...THA' MAN. You've just saved me tons of time with my "organized chaos" file structure ;) Thanks!
 Fred Tetra
10-19-2004, 9:22 AM
I should have added the MRU feature a looong time ago. It was pretty wasy to code (about an hour) and it will save me time during development as well.

Would anyone like a feature that implements the concept of a project? That is, a group of files that would be opened as a set?
 Achilles
10-19-2004, 10:08 AM
Oh thank god. I kept meaning to mention that, but would invariably forget.

Thanks, Fred!
 Fred Tetra
10-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Plus now you can put adjust things like Tk-47's and Cancerous Odor's 'hide' and give characters "monster" hands :)

The new Creature Item category in the Inventory editor is at the very bottom of the treeview, and has 4 sub-categories. The 'hide' items can be dragged onto the Armor slot on the Natural Items tab and the others can be dragged to any of the three "claw" slots on that same tab or to either of the Hands (right or left) slots on the Standard Items tab. I think that the third (rightmost) claw slot may actually be intended for "bite" type attacks, but I haven't been able to test that theory.
 Xavier2
10-19-2004, 10:24 AM
I should have added the MRU feature a looong time ago. It was pretty wasy to code (about an hour) and it will save me time during development as well.

Would anyone like a feature that implements the concept of a project? That is, a group of files that would be opened as a set?
If you mean like opening the files that group together like models "A" relates to textures "A01", "A02", etc. Then i should say definitelly!!!:D
 Fred Tetra
10-19-2004, 12:08 PM
What I mean is a logical grouping of files. Say you are working on a mod project that consists of p_cand.utc, cand_talk.dlg and cool_item.uti. Instead of having to find and open those three files each time you want to work on your project or even take the time to open them from the MRU list, you would open a "project" file that would in turn open each of the three files associated with it.

Later, the feature could be enhanced to show a treeview of the files so you could pick which one(s) you want to edit by double-clicking them. You could also tell Kotor Tool to make your project into a .mod file, since it would know which files belong in it.
 ChAiNz.2da
10-19-2004, 12:36 PM
What I mean is a logical grouping of files. Say you are working on a mod project that consists of p_cand.utc, cand_talk.dlg and cool_item.uti. Instead of having to find and open those three files each time you want to work on your project or even take the time to open them from the MRU list, you would open a "project" file that would in turn open each of the three files associated with it.

Later, the feature could be enhanced to show a treeview of the files so you could pick which one(s) you want to edit by double-clicking them. You could also tell Kotor Tool to make your project into a .mod file, since it would know which files belong in it.

That sounds great! ....but the only thing I would be afraid of is what if you had edited one of those files afterwards in GFF editor beyond KT's parsing parameters? (sorry, just playing devil's advocate :evil5: ). Might be a problem to watch out for...

If you could get past that potential roadblock, I'd say go for it! :D That and since my coding skills are 'nil' you can tell me to bugger off ;)
 Xavier2
10-19-2004, 1:00 PM

That's even better. It's always a nightmare organize this sort of things.

I have a sugestion. Maybe KT could create a project folder in explorer along with a KMM file? Just a thought...;)
 bneezy
10-19-2004, 5:02 PM
It's like you read my mind Fred. It was tedious opening all the different editors from the menu. The keyboard shortcuts helped some. Now that you have shortcut buttons, it's not that tedious anymore. Although, this would make it extremely easy. Great job with all versions of the tool.
 Fred Tetra
10-19-2004, 7:02 PM
Originally posted by bneezy
It's like you read my mind Fred. It was tedious opening all the different editors from the menu. The keyboard shortcuts helped some. Now that you have shortcut buttons, it's not that tedious anymore. Although, this would make it extremely easy. Great job with all versions of the tool.

Well then, I'd better get to it! :)

Thanks for the compliment, too :D
 StormSinger
10-19-2004, 11:20 PM
That 3rd "claw" slot is for a bite/slam/gore attacks.
 whitguy
10-22-2004, 7:24 PM
Hey Fred Tetra i like the tool but i want to do some stuff but i have to be registerd and i e-mailed you already im just waiting for you to give me the key:)
 Dak Vesser
10-22-2004, 7:30 PM
I'm wondering when Kotor 2 "The Sith Lords" comes out, will it be compatible with kotor tools?. It would be interesting to see if the devs changed or encoded the files different or if they didn't bother.
 Darkkender
10-22-2004, 7:31 PM
Hey Fred Tetra i like the tool but i want to do some stuff but i have to be registerd and i e-mailed you already im just waiting for you to give me the key

If you go to Fred's homepage and download the latest version you don't need to register kotor tool ever and it's chocked full of updates and features that were not present in the versions that required registration.
 Fred Tetra
10-23-2004, 5:37 PM
Originally posted by Dak Vesser
I'm wondering when Kotor 2 "The Sith Lords" comes out, will it be compatible with kotor tools?. It would be interesting to see if the devs changed or encoded the files different or if they didn't bother.

Well, if they have changed things, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make Kotor Tool work. Assuming I can save the $$ together to buy a copy :)

I don't know about any of the other kotor tools, though. (Other than tk102's, of course. I'm sure an expert like that will make his work :D )
 Darkkender
10-23-2004, 6:37 PM
worse comes to worse I'll buy you a copy fred just so we can have compatibility.
 Fred Tetra
10-26-2004, 1:29 PM
Originally posted by darkkender
worse comes to worse I'll buy you a copy fred just so we can have compatibility.

That's a generous offer that I may take you up on :)

Lots of people would have you to thank for helping ensure they can mod KotOR 2, as well!
 Fred Tetra
10-26-2004, 1:44 PM

v1.0.1760.23873 (2004-10-26)

Features/updates:

Fixed a bug that would prevent .mdl file extraction
Added rewritten version of nwnnsscomp (customized for Kotor Tool) to setup program
Added new Project Manager function
Updated Help file (read it!!)

Note: Kotor Tool now requires a new version of nwnnsscomp. This is included and installed by the setup program. You are strongly advised to uninstall Kotor Tool before installing the new version. Your settings will be preserved.

There's a whole section in the Help file on how to use the new Project Manager, but here's a brief overview:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creating a new Project

To open the Project Manager, from the Tools menu, choose Open Project Manager. An instance of the Project Manager be displayed.

From the File menu, choose New Project... to create an empty project and specify a few details about it.

First, you'll need to select a name for your project. It is mainly used to identify the project's top node and may be used to name a .ZIP archive of your whole project in a future release of Kotor Tool.

Next, choose the location and name for your project's file. This file contains all of the settings for your project.

Finally, choose the directories for the Debug and Release versions of your project. The idea is that you specify your SW:KotOR directory for Debug mode and a separate directory for Release mode.

In both modes, The Project Manager will:

Copy the Override files in a directory named Override under the directory you specified for that mode.

Build each module's files into a .mod file with the same name as the module and write it to a directory named Modules under the directory you specified for that mode.

The project's properties can be edited by choosing Project Properties from the File menu or by right-clicking on the project name in the treeview and choosing Project Properties .

Once you have created a new project, you'll see the project tree.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working with the Project files

There are two sections to a project, the files that go in KotOR's Override folder and those that are compiled in modules that go in the Modules folder. Here's

Overrides

To add files to the Override folder, either right-click on the Overrides node and choose Add Files... or drag and drop the files directly on it.
To exclude an Override file from the project, right-click on the file you want to exclude and choose Exclude file from Project.
To remove all of the Override files from the project, right-click on the Overrides node and choose Exclude All Files...

Modules

To add a module, right-click on the Modules node and choose Add New Module..., then enter the name for the new module and click OK.
To add files to the module, either right-click on the module node and choose Add Files... or drag and drop the files directly on it.
To exclude a module file from the project, right-click on the file you want to exclude and choose Exclude file from Project.
To remove all of the files for a given module from the project, right-click on the module node and choose Exclude All Files...
To completely remove a module from the project, right-click on the module node and choose Remove Module...
To remove all of the modules from the project, right-click on the Modules node and choose Remove All Modules
To rename a module, right-click on the module node and choose Rename, then enter the new name for the module and click OK.

Note: Excluding files from the project does not delete the files; it only removes the references to them from the project.

Editing files from the Project Manager

You can edit many types of files by double-clicking on the name of the file you want to work with.

Supported file types are:

Text type - .nss, .txt
GFF type - .dlg, .utc, .utd, .uti, .utm, .utp, .utt

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Building the Project

Once you've added your files to your project, you can build it. The Project Manager does the following things to build your project:

All files in the Override portion of the project tree are copied to the Override folder
For each module, the files under it in the project tree are added to a .mod file of the same name. Any scripts (.nss files) are compiled (to .ncs files) before being added to the .mod file

As your project is built, a progress indicator will show the current status.

If your project contains a script that does not compile, that script will be identified and the Build process halted.
 Fred Tetra
10-26-2004, 1:53 PM
Hey, maybe it changed some time ago, (in my happy, little programming world, things tend to escape me), but when did this thread drop to 4 stars? :)

Is that bad?
 Darkkender
10-26-2004, 2:01 PM
That's a generous offer that I may take you up on

Lots of people would have you to thank for helping ensure they can mod KotOR 2, as well!

Hey I may not be the best modder now but you know I would be thanking myself the rest of the time if you keep turning out revisions to kotor tool as awsome as this latest one. Imean really we're getting close to an all in one package. Next thing I know Your going to figure out away to have kotor tool load nwmax for gmax or some such thing. shoot if you ever change the gff editor side to not need the gameresources from the 2da files I might have to clear out my directories of the 1/2 dozen other tools I have to keep handy.
 Fred Tetra
10-26-2004, 8:06 PM

v1.0.1760.40805 (2004-10-26)

Features/updates:

Added a version of Charles Chargin Jr.'s mdlops program, rewritten for better Kotor Tool compatibility, to the setup program.

Thanks to Charles for his permission to include his application!
 T7nowhere
10-26-2004, 10:26 PM
Hey thanks Fred and cchargin. I think I missed the last KT release :o . well this one looks great. The project manager looks very interesting.

I have a couple questions.

1.)Do .nss files in the override section also get compiled? Im thinking that the project manager can be usefull even for non module mods. It would be great if the project manager could detect .nss in the override tree and compile those as well. :)

2.) Can the project manager delete files from override and modules folder? If not this would also be a usefull feature as I find myself going through several versions from the test phase to release and it would be great to be able to quikly remove the redundant files.

I also have a couple of suggestions for future releases. Include the ability to also have "streamwaves" and "lips" trees. these 2 folders are not used in to many mods , but they are sometimes :)

Ok thats all I can think of now. I'll be back after I have used the project manager more.
 TemporaryTomato
10-27-2004, 2:03 AM
This is great, KOTOR Tool just keeps improving! :)
Page: 16 of 38