Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Page: 14 of 38
 Fred Tetra
09-05-2004, 8:05 PM
Really, it can open NWN and KotOR dialogs and alter them right now, but I am in the process of adding "Linked" Entry support and the right-click menu. Links allow you to specify an "earlier" level in a conversation to continue from when you hit a leaf node in the conversation tree, for those who don't know.

I've only put in 3 nights so far, so I still have to add the "Add", "Copy", "Paste", and "Paste as Link" support code.

The best part is that it is supported within Kotor Tool directly, so you'll be able to open a file right from the tree, your drive or within the module editor.
 tk102
09-05-2004, 8:19 PM
Yes, I can see how that'd be a nice feature to add to KT. I'll go ahead and finish my version too. One of the things that's kind of nice about having a stand alone editor is being able to associate .dlg extensions with it. It'll be open source of course, if anyone else wants to contribute to it. ;)
 Fred Tetra
09-05-2004, 8:28 PM
You're right about the file extension association. I should add code for opening all of the file types Kotor Tool knows about from Windows explorer. Would save me time in testing, too :)
 tk102
09-05-2004, 8:29 PM
That would be cool! There have been times I wished for it when it came to .uti and .utc file editing.
 RedHawke
09-05-2004, 8:39 PM
^^^^
I agree with TK, the file extension associations would definately rock! :urpdude:

Oh and Fred... Email sent. :D
 Mav
09-05-2004, 8:43 PM
It's just amazing how far this tool has come Fred. Awesome job, may favorite recent addition, the ability to "paste over" rows when .2da editing... I love it.
 Fred Tetra
09-05-2004, 8:46 PM
I tried to make it like MS Excel in a number of respects. I always found those sort of features handy myself.

Also, I just got dynamic conversation text updating working in the dialog editor. As you update the text of a node, it changes in the tree as well as on any "linked" nodes, just like the NWN editor.
 RedHawke
09-05-2004, 8:53 PM
^^^^
Check your email again Fred, I forgot to attach the file in the first email. :D
 tk102
09-05-2004, 8:59 PM
Fred, in the future, if you decide to integrate a full savegame editor into your KT, you'll drop me a note first right? Just a heads up?
 Fred Tetra
09-05-2004, 9:03 PM
You can check yours, RedHawke - you're regged!
 Fred Tetra
09-05-2004, 9:04 PM
Originally posted by tk102
Fred, in the future, if you decide to integrate a full savegame editor into your KT, you'll drop me a note first right? Just a heads up?

Actually... I was working on one when KSE was announced, so I decided to shift to the module editor instead. I'll let you know beforehand, if I resume :)
 Mav
09-05-2004, 9:09 PM
I haven't really tried the module editor yet, but I'll be sure to when I get the time, so much to do so little time...bummer
 Mav
09-05-2004, 9:16 PM
Fred, I just sent you my registration info, just letting you know
 Fred Tetra
09-07-2004, 3:26 PM
Dialog Editor update:

The editor is at the point where I can open an existing .dlg file, add some nodes via cut/copy/add/paste and save it back out with the proper starting/entry/reply-lists in place and in the right format. It doesn't export the other node properties (the ones you edit using the textboxes and such, since just getting it to write the aforementioned lists was the "hard" part; adding the fields will be easy.

Today I am adding the support for dialog creation from scratch, which requires some new design for the parent GFF class that all Kotor GFF-based files' classes' inherit from. This should also allow the other file's editors to create their respective types from scratch, too, when I add the default field creation code to each GFF subtype's subclass. All in time... Next I have to add the code that watches for changes in the node-editing GUI and updates the selected node.
 Fred Tetra
09-09-2004, 6:40 AM
New version of Kotor Tool posted today.

v1.0.1713.15070 (2004-9-9)

Features/updates:

Full module extraction wih a single click from RIMs | Modules. Right click on a module name, such as "danm13.rim", and choose "Extract for module editing...", pick a destination folder and click OK. All files from the module (both the .rim and _s.rim files) will be extracted.
 Prime
09-09-2004, 6:46 AM
Wow, that's great Fred!
 Darth333
09-09-2004, 8:47 AM
Amazing work Fred!
 MTV2
09-09-2004, 7:01 PM
It's nice and all, but i can't seem to get it to work, it says that an error ocurred and says: continue, cancel and details. this happens when i open. when i open it, it goes fine, but when i open a root it says the same thing and nothing shows, ie: ERFs->texture packs->nothing!, and it says it's missing a file( i can't remember which) but if sumone knows whats wrong or has an idea plz tell me, thanx
MTV2
 Fred Tetra
09-09-2004, 8:21 PM
I would recommend checking that the paths in the Path Manager are correct. If you aren't sure, delete your settings.xml file and launch Kotor Tool. It should detect your KotOR installation and set up the paths accordingly.
 RedHawke
09-09-2004, 8:41 PM
The new function is pretty sweet Fred! :D
 Fred Tetra
09-09-2004, 9:33 PM
I'm glad you like it.

Sure you could just select each of a module's two rim files and then click the Extract button for each one in turn, but the new function makes the process just a little bit shorter.

Any other time-saving functions you'd like to see?
 Mav
09-09-2004, 11:45 PM
Fred,

Great work on all the new features. I don't mean to be a pest, but I sent you my registration info, and I was wondering if I am supposed to recieve something back????
 MTV2
09-10-2004, 6:09 AM
Originally posted by Fred Tetra
I would recommend checking that the paths in the Path Manager are correct. If you aren't sure, delete your settings.xml file and launch Kotor Tool. It should detect your KotOR installation and set up the paths accordingly.

Wow, thanx this is great, good job!:D :cool:
 Achilles
09-10-2004, 11:39 AM
I would recommend checking that the paths in the Path Manager are correct. If you aren't sure, delete your settings.xml file and launch Kotor Tool. It should detect your KotOR installation and set up the paths accordingly. I was having a similar problem last night. I will try this and get back to you.

Nice work!
 TMPhoenix
09-10-2004, 2:14 PM
(version 1.0.1713.15070)

If I right-click in the treeview beyond the end of the tree, I get an unhandled exception, with the message:

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

It isn't really a big bug, but still...
 Fred Tetra
09-10-2004, 4:59 PM
Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I move my arm like this.

Doctor: Then don't move your arm like that!

:)
 bneezy
09-11-2004, 6:27 AM
Originally posted by maverick187
I don't mean to be a pest, but I sent you my registration info, and I was wondering if I am supposed to recieve something back????

I'm having the same problem. I've sent it 3 or 4 times. I'm sure you're just busy with real life and all. Great tool!
 Fred Tetra
09-11-2004, 2:50 PM
Indeed I have been. I discovered that the laundry tub in my place was hiding a very damaged and moldy section of wall; all black and puffy. (yech!) As such, I have been busy most non-office hours ripping it out and rebuilding and haven't been up on the email. I will try to get to all of you who sent your reg info. I only ask that you PM me if you have Q's in the future, as would prefer the thread stay more on the topic of Kotor Tool itself.

Thanks!

[Update]

Everyone who sent in their userreg.info file has been sent their registration key file. Thanks for your patience!
 svцsh
09-13-2004, 4:58 PM
A KT wish :D

Fred now that some of the models are accessible and we have started to get our hands dirty with them. I would love to see a model preview screen like that of the tga viewer

Maybe a break down of poly count, texture' s used and a viewable window of the actual 3d model would help us alot.

Thanks for your continued work on Kt

svцsh
 T7nowhere
09-13-2004, 5:15 PM
I second svцsh's wish. even if we could only preview items and player models would be awesome.
 Fred Tetra
09-14-2004, 5:50 AM
Originally posted by svцsh
A KT wish :D

Fred now that some of the models are accessible and we have started to get our hands dirty with them. I would love to see a model preview screen like that of the tga viewer

Maybe a break down of poly count, texture' s used and a viewable window of the actual 3d model would help us alot.

Thanks for your continued work on Kt

svцsh

Unfortunately, I think a 3d viewer is beyond my current ability. Believe it or not, Kotor Tool is not that different from the tools I write for a living, but it's a fair leap to 3D. Not that I wouldn't enjoy the challenge, but all of you would be waiting a looong time before you'd see any results :)
 Fred Tetra
09-19-2004, 8:09 PM

v1.0.1723.40191 (2004-9-19)

Features/updates:

First public release of Conversation Editor.
Minor bug fixes in GFF datatype support for floating point types.
 Fred Tetra
09-20-2004, 6:19 AM

v1.0.1724.15944 (2004-9-20)

Features/updates:

Fixed bug in Conversation Editor that caused "Script that determines if node is available" script name to be written to "Script to run for this node" script's field.
 stingerhs
09-20-2004, 8:45 AM
fred, you rock. oh, btw, does your conversation editor allow you to activate combat scripts, give or lose items (ie credits), etc???
 Fred Tetra
09-20-2004, 11:27 AM
fred, you rock. oh, btw, does your conversation editor allow you to activate combat scripts, give or lose items (ie credits), etc???

Yes, you can do those sorts of things. Each node in a conversation tree has two scripts associated with it. One I'll call Script to run for this node, which is the script to call when you reach this node in the conversation.

In Kotor Tool, go to RIMs | Modules | tar_m02aa_s.rim | Dialog | tar02_preraid.dlg, and double-click it. In the editor, Expand the tree fully (icon on the left, read the tooltip. And, yes, I know I spelled Expand wrong.) Look at the 5th node under the Root, the red-colored (Entry) node labeled [Continue]. Click it, then change to the Node Scripts tab. See that k_ptar_shoot is specified? That means when KotOR moves down onto this node, that script is called, which is when the Sith fires on the poor alien and kills him.

The other script you can specify, Script to determine if this node is shown, is one that should return a boolean (true/false) value to determine whether a particular node should be available. I have never seen this applied to Replies, but I haven't search through all of the conversations, either. If you look at the tar_postraid.dlg in the same module as above, and examine the Node Scripts of the first node under the root, you will see that there names specified for both of the scripts.

A special case for the root-level entries, each of which is a valid place for an NPC to start when you talk to them, is often handled with such a script. In this example conversation, there are two root-level (called StartingList entries). Kotor goes down the StartingList entries from top to bottom (start to finish) and follows the first branch it hits, assuming that it's script says it is available, otherwise it moves on down the list until it finds one whose script says it is available or has no such test script for it. Back to our example... The first StartingList entry has a script defined for its Script to determine if this node is shown; the script tests a local variable, using the global script k_act_talktrue to see if we have talked to the alien. Since it is initially false, and the script returns the inverse of that condition, the node is followed. Next, the node has a script specified for Script to run for this node that then sets a local variable to indicate that we have talked to the alien. In this way, you'll see this branch of the conversation tree only once, since the next and all subsequent times, KotOR will run the node's Script to determine if this node is shown script, determine that it is unavailable, and go to the next StartingList entry, which is where the alien says "Thank you once again, human. And as I said earlier, don't worry about the bodies. I will take care of them for you." and ends the conversation.

You can apply these two scripts in a number of creative ways, from determining whether the player has completed a certain task, and thus the NPC will mention/congratulate them on it, to giving and taking items/credits/etc. and making the NPCs walk around and such. Look at the conversations in the various modules for ideas; the STUNT modules are especially interesting, as well as the scripted scenes, such as the raid in the Taris apartment complex just described.

Hopefully this is the short answer you were looking for. :D
 Fred Tetra
09-23-2004, 8:21 AM
Has anyone experimented with Camera settings in their conversations/dialogs?

I'm trying to improve the Camera Settings GUI in the Conversation editor so that only the appropriate child controls are enabled based on the type of parent controls' settings.

For example, in my tests, only when the Camera Angle is set to '6' does it matter which Camera ID is specified.

Also, if anyone has specific effects they have consistently observed for certain settings, I'd like to know. For example, I have seen the following:

Camera Angle:
1,2,4 - Zoomed in tight on Speaker
3 - 2 shot (both parties on screen, 1 on each half, left and right)
5 - Wide shot from behind PC; PC is centered

Cam Vid Effect:
-1 - none
0 - blue filter
1 - blue filter
2 - red filter (never saw it in the game - try it!)

Fade Type:
0 - none
1 - Cut to Black (or Fade Color - don't have that fully implemented)
2 - Cut from Black (or Fade Color - don't have that fully implemented)
3 - Fade from .....
4 - Fade to .....

In this way, I can replace the numeric up-down controls with menus.

Thanks a lot!
 Tanesh
09-23-2004, 9:16 AM
I tried different camera angles in the dialogue file you already have from me. But I think I only used the angles 0 - 4 or 0 - 5.
If I remember correctly, the camera angle 1 was a 2 shot, too. And 0 was a zoom on the speaker.
 Fred Tetra
09-24-2004, 12:22 PM

v1.0.1728.20772 (2004-9-24)

Features/updates:

Added support for AnimatedCut, CamFieldOfView, CameraModel, Quest and QuestEntry values in Conversation (DLG) files in Conversation editor.
Improved GUI controls interaction in Conversation editor - when a "master" value that determines whether or not other "subordinate" values are relevant is changed, the controls for the "subordinate" values are enabled/disabled accordingly.
Treeview appearance now adjustable in the Conversation editor.
Conversation Type, Computer Type, Fade Type and Camera Vid Effect controls are now popup menus instead of numeric controls.
Support for Conversation Type #2 added (Types 3 and 4 are for experimentation and may not actually do anything in the game, but who knows?)
Conversation editor now inserts the name of the file when saving it and also changes the window title when a file is renamed upon saving.
Support for Conversation nodes that are links as well as link targets added. This wil allow many more of the game's Conversations to be opened, even the 253 KB "dan14_bolook.dlg" (Dantooine Murder Investigation).
 *Atris*
09-25-2004, 10:35 AM
i cor access the models tree the + is not their i have the latest version any reason y i cant???
 Fred Tetra
09-25-2004, 5:49 PM
In the Options screen (Tools | Options), make sure the "Build Model BIF node in Tree" checkbox is checked, then you should be able to get to the models.

The reason for this setting is that it can take a long time to build that part of the treeview on some slower PCs and not everyone needs to get at the models. This lets those people start up Kotor Tool more quickly.
 *Atris*
09-26-2004, 3:05 AM
thanx fred you continue to amaze me, the new tool rocks:elephant: :rofl: :band1
 Fred Tetra
09-26-2004, 6:20 AM
I am glad as always to hear that someone is enjoying it!
 MTV2
09-26-2004, 9:47 AM

v1.0.1728.20772 (2004-9-24)

Features/updates:

Added support for AnimatedCut, CamFieldOfView, CameraModel, Quest and QuestEntry values in Conversation (DLG) files in Conversation editor.
Improved GUI controls interaction in Conversation editor - when a "master" value that determines whether or not other "subordinate" values are relevant is changed, the controls for the "subordinate" values are enabled/disabled accordingly.
Treeview appearance now adjustable in the Conversation editor.
Conversation Type, Computer Type, Fade Type and Camera Vid Effect controls are now popup menus instead of numeric controls.
Support for Conversation Type #2 added (Types 3 and 4 are for experimentation and may not actually do anything in the game, but who knows?)
Conversation editor now inserts the name of the file when saving it and also changes the window title when a file is renamed upon saving.
Support for Conversation nodes that are links as well as link targets added. This wil allow many more of the game's Conversations to be opened, even the 253 KB "dan14_bolook.dlg" (Dantooine Murder Investigation).

Your making soo many new versions, there great though;) :D
 StormTrooper789
09-26-2004, 4:29 PM
Hey Fred, what program did you use to develop KOTOR Tool? Was it Visual Studio .NET or SharpDevelop?
 Fred Tetra
09-27-2004, 5:16 AM
Hey Fred, what program did you use to develop KOTOR Tool? Was it Visual Studio .NET or SharpDevelop?

I use Visual Studio .NET 2003 as my development environment, as it lets me manage several projects at once, and has integrated source code control.
 Darkkender
09-27-2004, 8:54 AM
I like the what I see so far but i'm still patiently waiting for my registration number so that I can try and use the rest now that I'm trying to mod I need as much as I can get to learn from. I like that you moved your open files of different sorts options (with exception of gff) to the other menu option.
 Fred Tetra
09-27-2004, 1:11 PM
You patience has been rewarded, darkender :)
 Fred Tetra
09-27-2004, 5:07 PM
For all of those who've iinstalled Kotor Tool for the first time and are having trouble with the "null path" error - I figured out what was causing it and I'm working on a fix. So relax, you weren't doing anything wrong. :)
 Fred Tetra
09-27-2004, 9:08 PM

1.0.1731.29104 (2004-9-28)

Features/updates:

Fixed a bug that caused first-time installers to get a null path error
Kotor Tool can now be associated with UTC, UTD, UTI, UTP and UTT files and can open them from
Windows Explorer. Attempting to open multiple files will launch multiple instances of Kotor Tool as it is currently implemented.
Added the ability to reorder the children of nodes in the Conversation editor
New InstallShield-based setup program
 Darth333
09-27-2004, 9:13 PM

1.0.1731.29104 (2004-9-28)

Features/updates:

Kotor Tool can now be associated with UTC, UTD, UTI, UTP and UTT files and can open them from
Windows Explorer. Attempting to open multiple files will launch multiple instances of Kotor Tool

That's great! I've been waiting for something like that :)
Page: 14 of 38