Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Page: 13 of 38
 Helter
08-02-2004, 8:33 PM
Does anyone know where I can get Fred Tetra's KoTOR Tool? The link on his site is dead. I want to be a modder. Hope I am samrt enough to understand:)
Bye Bye Fred Tetra. I hope things work out.

edit:
Nevermind. I just saw they older version:rolleyes:

Guess I'm not smart.
 Darth333
08-02-2004, 8:38 PM
Originally posted by Helter
Does anyone know where I can get Fred Tetra's KoTOR Tool? The link on his site is dead. I want to be a modder. Hope I am samrt enough to understand:)
It works for me: :confused: http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/index.html)
 Helter
08-02-2004, 8:41 PM
Originally posted by Darth333
It works for me: :confused: http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/index.html)

Yeah. I never looked below until just now. I d/l the 4/11 version.:)
 Fred Tetra
08-03-2004, 11:38 PM
Well, I'm back from putting out a release of a software package for work.

I just wanted to say 'thanks' to all of the kind words and support I've seen expressed in the last several postings. I must say that perhaps I had underestimated the number of people who were using my software. In fact, a recent visit to my own web page shows over 3,000 hits. I was surprised to find that Googling 'kotor tool' brings up my page as the first hit. Not sure how that works, but a pleasant surprise, indeed.

I think for now, I will continue with Kotor Tool's development. A generous donation by CDR_Seadog has enabled me to move my KT stuff back off CD-ROM and into Visual Studio.

A few new donors have made pledges that, if they follow through, will be sufficient to buy another drive to make up the difference between my 300 GB drive and the gifted one.

I haven't had time to get into development mode yet (see the first line), but I have mental plans for a few improvements in the language settings for CExoLocStrings (used in descriptions and other things that need a localizable text). Also, I have in mind a way to make the Module Editor 'project oriented', which means you could keep all of the files associated with a module in a directory/folder and treat them as a unit in the editor. I'll keep you all posted, of course.

So, thanks again for the support, and check back here for updates (and on RPGDot - a great site!)
 Feza's Twin
08-06-2004, 11:21 PM
Well Fred,
I'm not a modder, but I've enjoyed many a kotor mod. Most of which without a doubt were created with the help of your handy kotor tool.

Just wanted to say thanks!
:)
 Fred Tetra
08-07-2004, 1:23 AM
You're welcome!
 Mav
08-07-2004, 1:28 AM
Glad to hear that you are going to continue to develop KotOR Tool, no doubt it has been the most useful tool in modding, for me at least. Good Luck.
 StormTrooper789
08-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Fred, could you fix the UTC and UTD editors so that you can change TemplateResRef for them?
 Shimaon
08-08-2004, 5:30 PM
Hey Fred,
Sorry I wasn't here to offer my support as well, although I'm glad to see you continued developing KT. I've decided to come back to the KotOR modding scene to sharpen up my skills before KotOR 2 arrives, which, hopefully, will be able to be modded just as easily with KT.
Thanks for all of your help to the community thus far,
Shimaon
 jedi_5002
08-09-2004, 3:29 PM
Originally posted by Achillies
What were you trying to add and what was the character you were trying to add it too. That might help us to answer your question.

Several characters, n_selkath.utc (for Doom Dealer's, A Guide to SW: KoTOR Module/Dialogue/Script Creation) and several others (g_thug01.utc, p_bastila.utc, p_t3m4.utc). It is not adding an item. It is just clicking on the button called "Inventory." :confused::eek::confused:

:fett:
 Achilles
08-09-2004, 3:49 PM
Originally posted by jedi_5002
Several characters, n_selkath.utc (for Doom Dealer's, A Guide to SW: KoTOR Module/Dialogue/Script Creation) and several others (g_thug01.utc, p_bastila.utc, p_t3m4.utc). It is not adding an item. It is just clicking on the button called "Inventory." :confused::eek::confused:

That's odd. It will let you open the utc's but not look at the inventory? Does it generate that error for all utc's or just the ones mentioned here?
 StormTrooper789
08-10-2004, 9:41 AM
It's SO good that you've continued Kotor Tool, Fred. Thanks. :)
 stingerhs
08-11-2004, 2:20 AM
hey anybody, i'm having a weird problem with my baseitems.2da. whenever i save it, it replaces every field with w_Shortswrd_001, which is field 4 column "defaultmodel". fortunately, i make backups, but to finish my item pack, i NEED to get this working. i don't know if its kt, .net, or just me.

edit: nevermind, i dl the new version of kt, and now it works.
 Achilles
08-11-2004, 2:36 AM
Originally posted by stingerhs
hey anybody, i'm having a weird problem with my baseitems.2da. whenever i save it, it replaces every field with w_Shortswrd_001, which is field 4 column "defaultmodel". fortunately, i make backups, but to finish my item pack, i NEED to get this working. i don't know if its kt, .net, or just me.

Mine did that once too. Not sure what I did to make it do that, but it was definitely fubared. I had to start over...with my back ups.
 illuzion69
08-11-2004, 5:38 AM
I am glad you are going to still be around Fred.
 Shimaon
08-11-2004, 10:41 PM
Fred,
A bit of a feature request:
Since your item editor is hands down the best around, do you think you could add the feature to be able to open uti files instead of only editing them directly out of the tool?

Thanks for your wonderful tool,
Shimaon
 Achilles
08-11-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Shimaon
Fred,
A bit of a feature request:
Since your item editor is hands down the best around, do you think you could add the feature to be able to open uti files instead of only editing them directly out of the tool?

Thanks for your wonderful tool,
Shimaon

Unless I'm missing something, you already can. File>Open GFF Files generally works for me. I hope this helps.
 jedi_5002
08-12-2004, 3:57 AM
^^^I didn't realise you could do this. I am so dumb. :lol:

That's odd. It will let you open the utc's but not look at the inventory? Does it generate that error for all utc's or just the ones mentioned here?

All of them.

Achilles
08-12-2004, 4:25 AM
Originally posted by jedi_5002
All of them.

You might want to redownload it to see if your version was corrupted somehow. Again I've never had that problem.
 Shimaon
08-12-2004, 4:49 AM
Unless I'm missing something, you already can. File>Open GFF Files generally works for me. I hope this helps.
Eh, hehe...

Oops.

Many thanks Achillies.
 Achilles
08-12-2004, 5:05 AM
Originally posted by Shimaon
Eh, hehe...

Oops.

Many thanks Achillies.

Glad I could help :D
 Fred Tetra
08-20-2004, 5:16 PM
New version released - v1.0.1692.26042 (2004-8-19)

* UTI Editor has been recoded to allow Description fields to have their Language and Gender set. If this works correctly, it will be implemented in the other editors.

* Module Editor now enabled, although in a Work-in-Progress state. Only one map can be edited, m02aa. This is the map for the Taris apartment ring.

I have decided to release a version of Kotor Tool with the Module Editor (such as it is) enabled. While it is not done, it will give some people the opportunity to edit and try out a module. The only map currently supported is m02aa, from the tar_m02aa module. To try out the editor:
1) Extract m02aa.git from the RIMs tree to a new Module Project folder.
2) Click the Module Editor button, select this folder, then click OK.
3) Edit the module. For example, drag a Creature from the right-hand tree to the map, then click the Save button.
4) Copy the contents of your Module Project folder to KotOR's Override folder.
5) Load up KotOR and warp or walk to the Taris apartment ring where the Hideout is.

You can download this new version from the links on the first post.

Enjoy!

Fred
 bneezy
08-20-2004, 5:33 PM
Great work as always. I've seen the Module Editor Demo you have on the site. Amazing!
 Doc Valentine
08-20-2004, 5:40 PM
Originally posted by Fred Tetra
New version released - v1.0.1692.26042 (2004-8-19)

* UTI Editor has been recoded to allow Description fields to have their Language and Gender set. If this works correctly, it will be implemented in the other editors.

* Module Editor now enabled, although in a Work-in-Progress state. Only one map can be edited, m02aa. This is the map for the Taris apartment ring.

I have decided to release a version of Kotor Tool with the Module Editor (such as it is) enabled. While it is not done, it will give some people the opportunity to edit and try out a module. The only map currently supported is m02aa, from the tar_m02aa module. To try out the editor:
1) Extract m02aa.git from the RIMs tree to a new Module Project folder.
2) Click the Module Editor button, select this folder, then click OK.
3) Edit the module. For example, drag a Creature from the right-hand tree to the map, then click the Save button.
4) Copy the contents of your Module Project folder to KotOR's Override folder.
5) Load up KotOR and warp or walk to the Taris apartment ring where the Hideout is.

You can download this new version from the links on the first post.

Enjoy!

Fred
Thats great Fred, releaset the module editor the DAY after i finish my mod, how ironic. :p
 Darth333
08-20-2004, 6:04 PM
Thanks for all your great work Fred! :thumbsup:
I hope the weekend comes soon (24 hours can seem very long sometimes), so I can try this long awaited editor :)
 jedi_5002
08-20-2004, 11:26 PM
I just tried it (KT v1.0.1692.26042) out after downloading it and I have several questions/complaints/praises.

1) What is the registration for? I looked in the help and readme a fair amount, but I couldn't find anything explaining why it was there.

2) I STILL cannot edit ANY of the characters' inventory. I can edit the character's file, but not the inventory.

3) When I start KT I get an error message saying
The type initializer for "System.Management.ManagementBaseObject" threw an exception. There is some other stuff, but there is a fair amount of it, and I don't want to type it all out now.

4) I like the new icon for KotOR Tool. It is bigger and bolder. I think, I might have liked the old one better though. Not sure yet.

Fred Tetra
08-27-2004, 9:49 AM
Wait until you see some of the new stuff that I've added to the forthcoming release of Kotor Tool

- a trigger editor

- updates to other editors to allow setting of Language for names and descriptions

- a number of updates to the module editor, such as:

* the ability to hide/show the two palettes (for more map image space)
* the ability to place user-created module elements (creatures, triggers, waypoints, etc.)
* the ability to edit camera placement.

Some of these are only available to registered users. The registration fee amount and payment method are still being decided. I wan't originally going to go shareware on Kotor Tool, as it was only going to be a 2da editor and BIF extractor (guess I I gave 'feature creep' a new meaning!), but I have now invested over 240 hours in the past 8 months on it. As much as I enjoy coding, some return for the effort will help pay the bills around here :)
 Darth Dex
08-27-2004, 10:22 AM
You mean the registion cost money? I guess I'mm cool with that I mean you did put in a lot of work and get something back for it.
 Weiser_Cain
08-27-2004, 4:04 PM
You know, the reason I didn't give you money was beacuse I can't now I won't be able to use this nifty tool because I can't...
 Doc Valentine
08-27-2004, 4:15 PM
Wait until you see some of the new stuff that I've added to the forthcoming release of Kotor Tool

- a trigger editor

- updates to other editors to allow setting of Language for names and descriptions

- a number of updates to the module editor, such as:

* the ability to hide/show the two palettes (for more map image space)
* the ability to place user-created module elements (creatures, triggers, waypoints, etc.)
* the ability to edit camera placement.

Some of these are only available to registered users. The registration fee amount and payment method are still being decided. I wan't originally going to go shareware on Kotor Tool, as it was only going to be a 2da editor and BIF extractor (guess I I gave 'feature creep' a new meaning!), but I have now invested over 240 hours in the past 8 months on it. As much as I enjoy coding, some return for the effort will help pay the bills around here :)
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you cant do that Fred. Once again i say it is ILLEGAL to profit from a program that is based on someone elses idea. Unless you somehow got permission from bioware and i doubt you have, you CANNOT do this and they can sew you for it, i have seen it done before. You should take off the registration thing as fast as possible.

Dont take this the wrong way we all appreciate what you did, but if you think about it we wouldnt be were we are without bioware, and niehter would your tool without them, now if your tool was a universal Bif/Gff/trigger and all those things editor it would be different but since it is to mod kotor and you havent gotten permission from them you CANT.
 Darth Dex
08-27-2004, 4:54 PM
I think GCSSS is right, but our laywer Darth333 should set everything staight.
 StormTrooper789
08-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Actually, if Bioware allowed the modding of KOTOR(openly supported it) then he could charge for it. Since neither Lucasarts nor Bioware support this then it is most likely not allowed. Other games such as XWA has a shareware editor you have to pay for but the developer/publisher does allow modding thus it is allowed to use for profit.

A big Question: What would you REALLY do with the money you got from selling a KT license? Answer if you dare! ;)
 Doc Valentine
08-27-2004, 10:52 PM
To make this more clear and i have said this to people who pirate games, look at it as if it were your game, would you like people who aren’t you profiting of YOUR idea when you are entitled to it?

As law states Bioware OWNS the idea for Knights of the Old Republic, and they had to go to George Lucas or someone high up and ask for permission to make their game because lucas OWNS the idea of starwars. And George lucas is getting money from this game. The law states that All rights reserved for Bioware and Lucas Arts. Which means NO ONE other than them without their permission can make or produce tools or products on their idea. What i am worried about is that bioware will find out and sew. I would HATE to see Fred go like that i would be horrified.

Now, if Bioware knew you were profiting from this tool because you told them and they allow it that is a completely different story. My guess is that if you tell them they wont get angry they may ask for a certain percent of the money you make because they are entitled to it.

I know this sounds hard and mean, but i am saying it out of worry for Fred because i revere him so much, he has done a whole lot and it would be a shame to see it all go. His tool is VITAL to our modding and this kind of thing is dangerous.

Please head my warning, I’m just trying to help.
 Fred Tetra
08-28-2004, 3:43 PM
This is rather off-topic, but if there is someone with a non-English version of KotOR that has played it out and would like to donate it, I'd be interested. I have a strong interest in foreign languages (I speak German and some Polish), so I thought it might be fun to try KotOR in something other than English.
 Fred Tetra
08-28-2004, 8:53 PM
New version of Kotor Tool posted today.

v1.0.1701.42420 (2004-8-29)

Features/updates:

* Support for the Taris m08aa map (Davik's Estate)

* New UTP (placeable) and UTT (trigger) editors

* Set language on UTD (door) descriptions

* Ability to hide/show palette/treeviews in module editor

* Support for user content on separate palette for placement in module editor

* Project file management: module editor can move you module projects files in and out of the
KotOR override folder for you. Also can completely clean the override folder, deleting all files.

* Module editor now has an options screen, so that you can choose the behavior of certain functions.
- Locator Ray on/off
- Confirm deletes on/off
- Module Element indicators size (the little squares on the map surface)

* Module editor rebuilds the Module Elements treeview when an item is renamed.

* Added the Edit and Delete functions to the Module Elements treeview right-click (context) menu,
Very handy for those tightly clustered items on maps.

* Color coding added to the Module Elements treeview to improve ease-of-use.

Also, while I am retaining the user registration process, Kotor Tool will remain free to use. If others would like to make donations to show their appreciation, that'd be really nice, but it is not compulsory.

Fred
 StormTrooper789
08-29-2004, 5:27 AM
When I try to open a *.utt file it will show an error that says: '6' is not a valid value for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.

Why does it do this? I have the latest .NET framework and an English version of Windows.
 Fred Tetra
08-29-2004, 6:28 AM
Well, without seeing the trace, it's impossible to say which item is causing the problem. It would seem that one of the values specified in the file is outside of the range that Bioware indicates as valid (which I enforce). Is it an unmodified file from the game or one you created? If it is the latter, and you wouldn't mind zipping up the file and sending to me, I'll look into it. Otherwise tell me which file and where on the treeview you accessed/extracted it from.
 StormTrooper789
08-29-2004, 11:56 AM
Wait...the only kind of trigger that wasn't working were the ones that have g_t_trap***.utt The rest work.
The *** = a number :) So I guess i'm ok. :)
 Fred Tetra
08-29-2004, 7:03 PM

v1.0.1702.26491 (2004-9-29)

Features/updates:

* Fixed a bug in the trigger (UTT) editor Trap Type field
 StormTrooper789
08-30-2004, 1:15 PM

v1.0.1702.26491 (2004-9-29)

Features/updates:

* Fixed a bug in the trigger (UTT) editor Trap Type field
It's not September, yet. :D
 Fred Tetra
08-30-2004, 2:49 PM
Gotta stop working on those updates for you folks so late at night :)

The new version should fix your trigger problem. I was using some old documentation for setting the range on a field (0-2) when the new info says it is (0-13).

Hope it helps!
 Darth333
08-30-2004, 3:01 PM
Just downloaded a fresh version of Kotor tool. It is amazing! A complete toolset! I would help you with those maps but I am already working late at night :( ( to those who are still at school: enjoy it while you can :D )

Thanks for eveything Fred :)
 Fred Tetra
08-30-2004, 6:33 PM
I am glad you like it :)

I have put 267 hours into Kotor Tool to date, and I think it has turned out pretty well so far. The module editor has been a real challenge, as I have tried to add the features that would be most useful first and get them relatively polished. The performance is a bit slow on the module editor, as it takes about 430 milliseconds to draw the entire m08aa map, but it is still more usable and faster than using 'whereami' and the GFF editor to build levels :)

As all of you finally get to "play" with the editor, I hope you'll be able to make feature suggestions to improve the overal workflow involved in creating a module.

I'll be posting some instructions on how to easily get started with the module editor soon.
 RedHawke
08-30-2004, 7:55 PM
Thank you Fred you are just making your toolset sweeter and sweeter! :D

Originally posted by Darth333
( to those who are still at school: enjoy it while you can :D )

I second that. :)
 Fred Tetra
09-05-2004, 7:41 PM
Just thought you folks might like to see one of the other editors in Kotor Tool that I am working on... :)

What could it be? (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/mystery.jpg)

Note to RedHawke - contact me via email pls.
 tk102
09-05-2004, 7:49 PM
For crying out loud. I'm working on the same thing!

http://img21.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img21&image=image97.jpg)
 stingerhs
09-05-2004, 7:51 PM
Just thought you folks might like to see one of the other editors in Kotor Tool that I am working on... :)

What could it be? (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/mystery.jpg)

Note to RedHawke - contact me via email pls.

YESSSS!!!! i won't have to know how to script: it'll do it for me!!! well, i'm assuming that what you showed us is a screen from a script making/editting tool. if thats the case, then i'll finally be able to make my own modules. fred, you rock.
:joy:
 tk102
09-05-2004, 7:53 PM
It's a dialog editor silly.
 Achilles
09-05-2004, 7:56 PM
Originally posted by tk102
For crying out loud. I'm working on the same thing!

http://img21.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img21&image=image97.jpg) Look at all these people, much smarter than I am, working so hard to make my life a little easier. I think I need a moment to myself :cry6:

Kudos gentlemen. Keep up the great work!
 Fred Tetra
09-05-2004, 7:59 PM
Actually, it's an A.I.-based expert system that creates new models for the game complete with skeletal animation and synthetic, yet natural-sounding voice overs.

Well, maybe in version 2.0.... :D
Page: 13 of 38