Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Page: 11 of 38
 Ajunta Pall
06-16-2004, 3:04 PM
It tells me there's a DLL file missing when I try to open it ¬¬
-
 T7nowhere
06-17-2004, 5:37 AM
Originally posted by Doom_Dealer
im having some problems with the module editor, i cant seem to use it,

i get an error message when i click the button :(

and i cant see any1 else who has posted with a similar problem or something in the readme.

am i missing something here?

hey DD, you need to have these 2 files in override mapm02aa.map, m02aa.git But before you play with it empty override accept for the 2 files.
 Drog
06-17-2004, 6:22 AM
Originally posted by Doom_Dealer
im having some problems with the module editor, i cant seem to use it,

i get an error message when i click the button :(

and i cant see any1 else who has posted with a similar problem or something in the readme.

am i missing something here?

Originally posted by T7nowhere
hey DD, you need to have these 2 files in override mapm02aa.map, m02aa.git But before you play with it empty override accept for the 2 files.

DOOM: I have the same problem, Kotor tool is a bit weird for me.

T7: Thanks its been useful , but still got some other problems with kotor tool, ive read its readme 3 times and still cant find any troubleshooting for my KT problem.
 Achilles
06-17-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Ajunta Pall
It tells me there's a DLL file missing when I try to open it ¬¬
-

which .dll?
 Ajunta Pall
06-17-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Achillies
which .dll?

MSCOREE :confused:. Any help?
 Fred Tetra
06-17-2004, 12:58 PM
Which version of the Microsoft .NET Framework do you have installed?

I should (and will!) mention that you need to have the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 installed.

You can get it
here (http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/a/c/aac39226-8825-44ce-90e3-bf8203e74006/dotnetfx.exe)

Hope that helps!
 Fred Tetra
06-17-2004, 1:02 PM
I would like to thank Achillies for the Kotor Tool donation made:

A check for $20 will be going out as soon as I can find a stamp (probably today). Hopefully this sets the bar and some of the more veteran modders will try to put me in my place by donating more. For all the fun that we get out of modding, thanks to your hard work, I think that $20 is more than reasonable.

Thanks, Achillies!
 StormTrooper789
06-18-2004, 12:16 PM
When will the Module Editor be functional and no longer be a demo?
 Fred Tetra
06-19-2004, 1:32 AM
The module editor is nearly done, but since CChargin has produced a model extract tool, I can now create the background image for the map in hi-res. Presently, I take the in-game nav-map and magnify it in Photoshop. Blurry, but functional for some smaller maps, it just doesn't work for huge areas, so the rendered models of the areas might just be the solution.

There are also a few other things that I'd like to polish up before I make it official. I'm pretty fussy about people having a relatively bug-free program.

Sorry you have to wait, but good things take time :)

On a sadder note, I'm having problems with my PC's hard drive; if anyone would like to show their appreciation for my development efforts in Kotor Tool, I could really use a few $$ donation to replace it before it totally wonks out on me. Those interested may contact me at the email address in the readme.txt file or via PM. Thanks to those who have already contributed!
 StormTrooper789
06-20-2004, 10:56 AM
K, I can wait since I know that all the coding, debugging, and testing can take a so I and other folks shall wait. :(
 Fred Tetra
06-22-2004, 11:52 PM
Just thought a few of you might like to know, I managed to update the GFF class in Kotor Tool so that it can (in a limited way) read and write CExoLocStrings. These are the strings that are Localizable; that is, they can contain several versions of the same string, each in a different language. Most times (in Kotor's data) they are set to use a string from the Dialog.tlk file; that's why I couldn't let you edit certain things in KT's editors.

This change will allow you to override this behavior by creating an English-language substring entry for any given CExoLocString. I cannot support multiple languages at this time, however.

Watch for the announcement of the next Kotor Tool release.
 Achilles
06-23-2004, 12:28 AM
Fred,

I tried to respond to your PM but receive notice that your box is full. Please let me know if you did not receive my reply.
 Fred Tetra
06-23-2004, 1:29 AM
Sorry, but I did not. I deleted a few PM's to make some room :)

Please try again.

Fred,
I tried to respond to your PM but receive notice that your box is full. Please let me know if you did not receive my reply.
 Fred Tetra
06-23-2004, 5:11 PM
New Release:

v1.0.1634.26198 (2004-6-22)

See features at beginning of thread
 Arlen Treesong
06-23-2004, 6:00 PM
I didn't check features yet but I was curious if you're ever going to make the UTI editor able to open up custom UTI's, from what I've noticed, atm it will only open UTI's in the tool and let you save them. But the ones you have saved you can't open back up.

Also, uh I know the module editor was only supposed to be a demo but it did effect my game lol, I have kath hounds everywhere in the apartments :o
 Lorden Darkblade
06-23-2004, 6:58 PM
Ok, I'm having a problem with Kotor Tool and I wanna check if anyone has it.
When I try to modify already modifyed armors I get a error.
I wanna ask if everybody uses the Kotor Tool to to make Items.
Or you guys use the GFFEditor?
I sended a mail to Fred I'm waiting for his reply tho he was checking the items.
I only get those errors when I try to modify already modded armors only.
Any help would be appreciated cuz KT is much much much more simple and easyer to use then the GFFEditor.
Here is the screen shot of the error:
Error Image (http://img38.imageshack.us/my.php?loc=img38&image=error5.jpg)

Thanks in advance,
ReLoaD2K
 Fred Tetra
06-23-2004, 8:03 PM
Originally posted by Arlen Treesong

Also, uh I know the module editor was only supposed to be a demo but it did effect my game lol, I have kath hounds everywhere in the apartments :o

Just remove the KT version of m02aa.git from your override folder.

Don't you think Dia is much safer with some Kath Hounds to protect her? :)
 Fred Tetra
06-23-2004, 8:07 PM
Originally posted by ReLoaD2K
Ok, I'm having a problem with Kotor Tool and I wanna check if anyone has it.
<snip>

Thanks in advance,
ReLoaD2K

Please don't post the debugger output to the forum; no one else will know what to do with it and it just takes up space; consider editing it out of your post. Now, I have been taking a look into the problem, but as with all things, it takes time. As I am still unpacking from my recent move, Kotor Tool time has been a bit scarce.
 Lorden Darkblade
06-23-2004, 10:11 PM
I removed.
Sorry about that mate.
I thought you forget about me thats why I asked help from here.
Well I just hope you can find out what the problem is.
Do you have that problem too?

Thanks in advance,
ReLoaD2K
 Fred Tetra
06-23-2004, 11:26 PM
I've been looking at a few files that someone else sent me and what I've found so far is that some of the values specified (CostValue, in one case) specified a row number beyond what exists in the related 2da file.

If you use Bioware's GFF Editor, it does not enforce any rules about the values you set the various Property fields to, whereas Kotor Tool does (but it doesn't handle incorrect values well, as you've seen!)

Please send a sample problem .UTI file zipped up to the address in the Kotor Tool readme file.

Thanks!
 Arlen Treesong
06-23-2004, 11:54 PM
Disguise. If you use the Mandalorian Assault Armor which already has disguise Mandalorian_01 you can change that to anything with the UTI editor thoe you'll get an error you can continue anyways and save BUT if you use any item that doesn't contain a disguise ref on it already it has no effect the field comes back up blank.

Not a big deal considering it can still be done in the GFF editor, but simply pointing it out. :) sure you already know though.
 StormTrooper789
06-24-2004, 11:10 AM
Can you add this small module to the KOTOR Tool Module Editor? It is one room and pretty good room for adding stuff.
The name of the module is kas_m23ab.rim
 Lorden Darkblade
06-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Fred Tetra
I've been looking at a few files that someone else sent me and what I've found so far is that some of the values specified (CostValue, in one case) specified a row number beyond what exists in the related 2da file.

If you use Bioware's GFF Editor, it does not enforce any rules about the values you set the various Property fields to, whereas Kotor Tool does (but it doesn't handle incorrect values well, as you've seen!)

Please send a sample problem .UTI file zipped up to the address in the Kotor Tool readme file.

Thanks!

I sended you like 5 files dont you remember?
You want me to send them again?
 Fred Tetra
06-24-2004, 2:24 PM
Ahh, you didn't identify yourself by your LF handle in your email so I didn't make the connection.

As I mentioned a few posts ago, what I found was that the CostValue was out-of-range for the specified table.

Here's the property on your dark_guard.uti file that causes the error:

Struct- Type:0 Field count: 7
Field- Type: word Label: PropertyName Value: 1
Field- Type: word Label: Subtype Value: 0
Field- Type: byte Label: CostTable Value: 2
Field- Type: word Label: CostValue Value: 8
Field- Type: byte Label: Param1 Value: 255
Field- Type: byte Label: Param1Value Value: 0
Field- Type: byte Label: ChanceAppear Value: 100
End of struct

The PropertyName of 1 means it is Armor which has no subtype.
The CostTable is 2, which means we should use the IPRP_MELEECOST.2da table.
The CostValue is 8, which means that we should use the data in the 9th row (0-based index) in the IPRP_MELEECOST.2da table. The problem is, there are only 6 rows in it, which causes an error condition.

Now, did you create and/or edit your dark_guard.uti file outside of Kotor Tool? The Bioware GFFEditor does not validate the values assigned to fields, while Kotor Tool only lets you choose table-driven values.
 Lorden Darkblade
06-24-2004, 2:36 PM
Actually that item was made by Prime if I'm correct.
I dont know what he used.
But I also have some Star Forge/Revan Robes that have the same problem with the Kotor Tool and they were made by RedHawke.
 Fred Tetra
06-24-2004, 2:51 PM
My guess would be that the BW GFFEDitor was used to create them.

If you want to still use them, adjust the offending values in the GFFEditor, then you'll be able to work with them in Kotor Tool.
 Lorden Darkblade
06-24-2004, 3:28 PM
Could you just give me some fast lessons on how to know when something is wrong when I get new items that have those problems?
It can be thru anyway you want, email, PM, ICQ, MSn you choose.

Thanks in advance,
ReLoaD2K
 Achilles
06-24-2004, 3:52 PM
Originally posted by ReLoaD2K
Could you just give me some fast lessons on how to know when something is wrong when I get new items that have those problems?
It can be thru anyway you want, email, PM, ICQ, MSn you choose.

Thanks in advance,
ReLoaD2K

Troubleshooting is a skill that relies heavily on critical thinking and scientific method. Unfortunately, it's not easy to provide "fast lessons" on these subjects. The best way to learn to get your hands dirty. You'll learn more about this game from trying to fix mistakes than you will from tutorials. I hope that this helps.
 Fred Tetra
06-24-2004, 4:48 PM
Unfortunately, Achillies is right; only experience improves one's troubleshooting skills.

If you have an item that won't open, play "computer"; that is, do what an editor would have to do to open the file. Read each value of a property in question and look in the 2DA tables as appropriate. Achillies put together a nice tutorial on manual item creation which can be used to see how the various tables interrelate.

Incidently, I figured out what was wrong with your item not by using a tool, but by the technique just described. Also, the mroe troubleshooting you do, the more areas in life you can apply it to. The same methods I use to "prune" a tree of possible faults in Kotor Tool have been learned and used to fix cars, appliances, computers and much more.
 Lorden Darkblade
06-24-2004, 4:57 PM
I'll try that!

And I have a request to do:
Can all the MODers try to do their items on the Kotor Tool?
Doing items in there will not be able to cause this errors or at least i think so...
Well I also understand or I think too that there was a time when Kotor Tool didnt had a GFFEditor am I right?
So people had to do it in a separeted GFFEditor.
But now that we can, please lets try to use Kotor Tool only? :p :p

Thanks in advance,
ReLoaD2K
 StormTrooper789
06-25-2004, 1:16 PM
NwNEditor is better than GFF editor at *.git file modification and it also handles FLOATs better. So move from GFF editor to NwNEditor today! :)
 Fred Tetra
06-25-2004, 4:56 PM
New version of Kotor Tool: v1.0.1636.25345 (2004-6-24)

New features:
* TPC2TGA is NOT required at all now. TPC files can be extracted and saved directly now.

* Addtional information is displayed about the game modules under RIMs | Modules;
a description and location for each module is displayed, based on settings in the Kotor Tool
Options dialog. Both are off by default.

* New HTML-based help file w/contributions from T7Nowhere

* Kotor Tool version and date stored in GFF files that it writes so that compatibility tracking can be performed.

On a sadder note :( , I'm still having problems with my PC's hard drive; if anyone would like to show their appreciation for my development efforts in Kotor Tool, I could really use a few $$ donation to replace it before it totally wonks out on me. Those interested may contact me at the email address in the readme.txt file (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/readme.txt) or via PM. Thanks!

Oh, and thanks to Achillies, the one person so far that actually made a donation!
 StormTrooper789
06-26-2004, 11:06 AM
By the way things are progressing I can tell that KOTOR Tool will be Knights of the Old Republic's Toolset. Keep up the good work, this program is getting cooler by every update. :bdroid1: :)
 StormTrooper789
06-26-2004, 2:15 PM
Sorry if this is considered double-posting, but can you, the creator of Kotor Tool, make it able to be used at 800 x 600 resolution because I cannot use your *.utc file editor for it is to big for the screen. 1024 x 768 makes the monitor go crazy so please implement that.
 Fred Tetra
06-28-2004, 1:52 AM
New version of Kotor Tool: v1.0.1639.1013 (2004-6-27)

New features:
* Minor Fix: Identified Description and Template ResRef in UTI Editor were accidently left marked as "Read-Only".

Thanks to T7Nowhere for catching this!

On a sadder note :( , I'm still having problems with my PC's hard drive; if anyone would like to show their appreciation for my development efforts in Kotor Tool, I could really use a few $$ donation to replace it before it totally wonks out on me. Those interested may contact me at the email address in the readme.txt file (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/readme.txt) or via PM. Thanks!

Oh, and thanks to Achillies, the one person so far that actually made a donation! [/B]
 Fred Tetra
06-28-2004, 1:55 AM
Originally posted by StormTrooper789
Sorry if this is considered double-posting, but can you, the creator of Kotor Tool, make it able to be used at 800 x 600 resolution because I cannot use your *.utc file editor for it is to big for the screen. 1024 x 768 makes the monitor go crazy so please implement that.

800 x 600 is so 1998!

Unfortunately, I have too little time to redesign the editors; sorry!
 StormTrooper789
06-28-2004, 7:30 PM
Nevermind for I now am back with my better monitor which supports 1024 x 768 so u can ignore what I said.

By the way, I can't wait 4 the module editor. I can live by using the whereami cheat.
 Break Ya Neck
06-29-2004, 6:20 PM
************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: The currency separator information specified in the NumberFormatInfo is ambiguous for parsing.
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.DoubleType. Parse(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.IntegerType .FromString(String Value)
at kotor_tool.KotorTreeNode.get_ResTypeStr()
at kotor_tool.KotorTreeNode..ctor(KeyEntry ke)
at kotor_tool.frmMain.BuildTreeView(String keypath)
at kotor_tool.frmMain.TreeView_BeforeExpand(Object sender, TreeViewCancelEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnBeforeExpand(TreeV iewCancelEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.TvnExpanding(NMTREEV IEW* nmtv)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage (Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(M essage& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

guess this aint very normal
 Achilles
06-29-2004, 9:24 PM
Originally posted by Fred Tetra

Oh, and thanks to Achillies, the one person so far that actually made a donation!

Wow, that's really sad. I don't like to pass judgement without all the facts, but I have to admit that I'm amazed by this.

*Does the math in his head*
20 modders on the board, multipled by $5 = $100 towards a new hard drive.

At the risk of flaming:

Hey Fred, it sounds like all those people who put "Thanks to Fred Tetra and the KotOR Tool" in their Readme's aren't willing to put their money where their mouths are.

Come on everyone, a couple of bucks each to give a little something back to the guy that made all this possible for us??? I think each of us can afford it.
 StormTrooper789
06-30-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Break Ya Neck
************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: The currency separator information specified in the NumberFormatInfo is ambiguous for parsing.
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.DoubleType. Parse(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.IntegerType .FromString(String Value)
at kotor_tool.KotorTreeNode.get_ResTypeStr()
at kotor_tool.KotorTreeNode..ctor(KeyEntry ke)
at kotor_tool.frmMain.BuildTreeView(String keypath)
at kotor_tool.frmMain.TreeView_BeforeExpand(Object sender, TreeViewCancelEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnBeforeExpand(TreeV iewCancelEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.TvnExpanding(NMTREEV IEW* nmtv)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage (Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(M essage& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

guess this aint very normal

Fred Tetra already said to someone else not to post all the error info. Just PM him or E-mail him. Oh, Break Ya Neck that's kind of like posting the source code. Well, not really. :)
 StormTrooper789
06-30-2004, 5:59 PM
Originally posted by andargor
Bioware loves mods. NWN Toolset anyone?

The problem is LucasArts.

Andargor
The problem is not Lucasarts, Andargor, because if they didn't support them Holowan Laboratories wouldn't even exist. It is Bioware's choice to release a toolset. They don't want to release it for they are being paid by Microsoft not to release one.

Thus, my explanation renders your statement...INCORRECT.
 Fred Tetra
07-01-2004, 1:06 AM
New version of Kotor Tool: v1.0.1641.42876 (2004-6-30)

New features:
* Possible fix for "currency separator information..." error. This should help people with non-US operating systems.

* New Higher-res (double) map background support (download for extra map on web site)
 Lorden Darkblade
07-01-2004, 9:47 AM
It's not there to download or I cant see it.
 StormTrooper789
07-01-2004, 10:56 AM
I can't download the "double" *.map file because when I attempt the browser returns this:
Imagemap Error
Your client did not send any coordinates. Either your client doesn't support imagemap or the map file was not accessed as a map.

What's the problem?
-------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ReLoaD2K:
It's not there to download or I cant see it.

Reload2K the website says it is 6-27-04 for download but really it is the new 6-30-04 version. Fred Tetra forgot to change the text on his website.
 Fred Tetra
07-01-2004, 4:23 PM
I have fixed the map download link and the incorrect file description for Kotor Tool. I really have to start uploading and making changes earlier in the day when I'm more awake! :)
 Darth Khasei
07-01-2004, 4:38 PM
Originally posted by StormTrooper789
The problem is not Lucasarts, Andargor, because if they didn't support them Holowan Laboratories wouldn't even exist. It is Bioware's choice to release a toolset. They don't want to release it for they are being paid by Microsoft not to release one.

Thus, my explanation renders your statement...INCORRECT.

I'm clueless on this one. Why is M$ paying them not to release a toolset?
 Fred Tetra
07-01-2004, 4:58 PM
The Kotor Tool web site (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/index.html) now has a new look, thanks to Darth_Grandpa.
 Lorden Darkblade
07-01-2004, 4:59 PM
Very nice :D
 StormTrooper789
07-01-2004, 6:28 PM
Originally posted by Darth Khasei
I'm clueless on this one. Why is M$ paying them not to release a toolset?

Probably so they can make more money with the X-Box.
I heard about Microsoft doing this in a news article on a gaming site, IGN, I think.
 StormTrooper789
07-09-2004, 12:19 PM
BUMP!
Page: 11 of 38