Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Page: 15 of 38
 RedHawke
09-27-2004, 9:23 PM
Originally posted by Darth333
That's great! I've been waiting for something like that :)

Agreed, very nice Fred! :D

And thanks for all the hard work. :)
 Fred Tetra
09-28-2004, 5:17 AM
I'm glad you both like it, and thanks to both of you for the feature suggestions, too!
 Achilles
09-28-2004, 8:05 AM
Fred,

Is there any way that you could add a "droppable" check box to the Set custom item ResRef pop-up in the utc inventory window? This would save us a few extra steps when editing character placeables.

Thanks!
 Fred Tetra
09-28-2004, 8:40 PM
New version of Kotor Tool posted today.

v1.0.1732.40179 (2004-9-29)

Features/updates:

At the request of Achilles: Added the ability to set the 'dropable' property for Creatures' and Placeables' Inventory items. Pack items drop-ability is set via a checkbox in the grid, and for equpped items, it is set via a context (right-click) menu.
New Merchant (UTM) Editor
 T7nowhere
09-28-2004, 8:49 PM
Originally posted by Fred Tetra

v1.0.1732.40179 (2004-9-29)

Features/updates:

New Merchant (UTM) Editor

:) Thanks for the update Fred.
 SelenityMoon
09-28-2004, 10:51 PM
Ok.. I'm having two problems with it.. the first one (only because I can still see the error window) happens when I try to open anything with kotor tool (but not with the 2da editor)

It could not find a file called dialong.tlk in C:\

The exact text is: "Could not file file "C:\dialog.tlk".

When I click on details it says this:

Edited by Darth333: lenghty debugging output removed. Fred has seen it - as per his request, use e-mail for this next time

... I have no idea what that means.

I have .NET Framework installed and updated.

So does anyone have any clue as to what is going wrong?
 Achilles
09-28-2004, 11:04 PM
If you check Fred's KotOR Tool thread you'll see that he released a new version that fixes this issue.
 Darkkender
09-29-2004, 12:12 AM
If you check Fred's KotOR Tool thread you'll see that he released a new version that fixes this issue.

Unfortunately Achilles I can speak from using the newest version just posted on his site as of yesterday or so that the error still occurs not only that but the new version no longer runs an image editor.

I have had continuos problems of this nature however I was chalking most of them up to windows 2000 pro because I've had similiar problems prior to kotor tool. that and alot of these errors are direct results of the files kotor tool is calling from. kotor tool uses all the default 2da files for alot of the utc, uti, utp files so it will generate an error any time one of these files makes a call outside of what is defined in the original file such as appearance.2da with a custom recruit because there is no more than 508 appearance references if you have a 509th that your utc file calls too it will pop the error that selenitymoon has below except it will say something to the effect of invalid array(509).

And yes I have loaded my registration key.(so thats not it)
 T7nowhere
09-29-2004, 12:26 AM
Does KT open at all for you? Is KotOR installed in the Defualt Directory (you know C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR)

If it is not then you will have to Set the Paths Manually (you might want to read this page Intro to KT (http://www.map-review.com/index.php?page=tutorial_view&id=28) To help you get started with KT.

The Image viewer works Fine <but you have to hold shift+ double left click to open it. Once it's open you can select the texture you want with the mouse then use the arrow keys to cycle through them.

For future Referance it would be best to PM Fred or post in the KT thread.
 Darkkender
09-29-2004, 12:42 AM
Hate to spoil T7 but in the newest version that shift+double click doesn't work.(just tried it) I was already planning to PM this evening anyway. I was just trying to locate my error log I created to forward onto fred.
 T7nowhere
09-29-2004, 1:20 AM
Originally posted by darkkender
Hate to spoil T7 but in the newest version that shift+double click doesn't work.(just tried it) I was already planning to PM this evening anyway. I was just trying to locate my error log I created to forward onto fred.

Hmm, thats odd it works fine for me. On version 1.0.1732.40179 Although help file won't load, and about only shows the icon And I can't use tpctotga anymore to Load the tex straight to PS but other than that it works Fine for me.

But really this should be in the KT thread so Im moving this thread.
 Darkkender
09-29-2004, 1:45 AM
ok Well I guess I'm not the only one with the helpfile problem and now that you mention the the tpctotga factor I hadn't even paid that one any mind earlier when I double clicked on a tpc and it just did nothing. I guess I need to be more attentive to the problems when I take notes to report bugs.

on a seperate note I do have to say I like the installer factor as well as the ability to associate files with kotor tool finally which in and of itself is a reason to celebrate.
 Fred Tetra
09-29-2004, 8:37 AM
The "Help" function wasn't working due to a major change required in Kotor Tool's design to support file associations and also because of the way it is installed.

I had also temporarily disabled external image viewer support so that I could fix a problem with it that I had been meaning to address for a looong time that would have cause other problems had I left it enabled.

Read the next announcement...
 Fred Tetra
09-29-2004, 8:57 AM

v1.0.1733.18770 (2004-9-29)

Features/updates:

Added "Clean Working Directory" menu item to Tools menu.
Fixed bug that was preventing Help from opening from menu.
Reinstated external image viewer/editor support. Function no longer requires TPC2TGA.
 Darkkender
09-29-2004, 10:31 AM
hey Fred I think you need a disclaimer for kotor tool saying you will no longer support versions of your tool more than a week old unless no new versions have been released what is this 4 in like 3 or 4 days:D

But seriously thank you man
 Fred Tetra
09-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Heh heh, I hear you there!

Sometimes things just go perfectly and I can code a fully-formed idea in a short time. The "dropable" property on inventory, complete with GFF field additions, parsing, right-click menu on the equipped inventory and checkboxes in the grid (which I have never done before) took about 3 hours. The UTM editor took about 1.5 hours :D

At least I don't have to pick the version number; that's generated automatically!
 T7nowhere
09-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Thaks for the update Fred, I like the utm editorMuch nicer than the old copy and paste method.
 Fred Tetra
09-29-2004, 1:25 PM
Hopefully it is a bit faster to use than the GFF Editor, too :)
 Tanesh
09-29-2004, 2:27 PM
I just wonder why 2 of my conversation files can't be opened by the Conversation Editor. :confused: I modified the lev40_carth.dlg file with tk's editor, but when I want to open it with the Kotor Tool editor, I get this setup error:

Failed to load resources from resource file
Please check your setup

and the tool ends after clicking "OK". But the setup can't be wrong because it works with all the other files except one: With Mekel's personal conversation file from my mod, I don't even get an error message, it just crashes. Both of them work fine in the game and can be opened with the editor from tk, so it's not a desaster; I just wonder what's the reason for it. :confused:
 tk102
09-29-2004, 3:22 PM
Could it be the IsChild field causing problems?

As far as I know, Fred enforces Bioware's documentation on the subject, while I (and KotOR) do not.

Tanesh, did you perform a Paste as Copy in DLGEditor, creating a circular reference in the dialog?
 StormTrooper789
09-29-2004, 4:05 PM
Does it cost anything to register KT?
 Fred Tetra
09-29-2004, 4:26 PM
While donations are graciously accepted, there is no direct cost to register Kotor Tool.
 Fred Tetra
09-29-2004, 7:37 PM
There have been a number of people who've been getting "chitin.key" errors and I have traced the problem down to the fact that their file refers to "custpackiv.bif" or sometimes "custpacki.bif" through "custpackiv.bif" (custom packs 1-4?). I'm not sure what these are used for, other than they contain models, mdx's and what I would guess are some portrait TGA's.

If anyone has any info on these, please contact me via email.
 Achilles
09-29-2004, 7:56 PM
There have been a number of people who've been getting "chitin.key" errors and I have traced the problem down to the fact that their file refers to "custpackiv.bif" or sometimes "custpacki.bif" through "custpackiv.bif" (custom packs 1-4?). I'm not sure what these are used for, other than they contain models, mdx's and what I would guess are some portrait TGA's.

If anyone has any info on these, please contact me via email. Here's a shot in the dark...

http://kotor.forgottenwars.net/)

BTW, just checked out the new utm feature....INCREDIBLE!
 RedHawke
09-29-2004, 8:18 PM
Originally posted by Achilles
Here's a shot in the dark...

It's not a shot in the dark Achilles, you are probably right on target. :D

Those .bif files you are talking about Fred are probably the 4 PC Customisation Packs released by the modders at http://kotor.forgottenwars.net/) using their easy to use, for them, but complicated to everyone else, KISS Tool, from what I could gather it makes a .bif file instead of putting files into override.

EDIT:

Originally posted by Achilles below
But we have tutorials now :D
But... I thought tutorials are supposed to instruct people how to do something useful, like installing a common mod with their Tool, step-by-step start-to-finish, not show a single script for installing a limited use mod and explain just that, then expect the masses to suddenly "get it"... raise them up on their shoulders and carry them around while cheering their names.

If they want the KISS Tool to truely be useful I have one word for them... GUI.

And Fred I also just tried the .utm editor, man... if I only had that a week ago... J/K... Awesome work Fred! :D
 Fred Tetra
09-30-2004, 5:39 AM
Originally posted by Achilles
Here's a shot in the dark...

It turns out that the custom packs are indeed the source of the "chitin.key" errors that people have been getting. I am working on a fix for it.

BTW, just checked out the new utm feature....INCREDIBLE! [/B]

I don't know why I didn't write the merchant editor earlier; it was one of the easier ones since it mostly consists of the Inventory editor that I had written some time ago.

Also, has anyone tried out the new "dropable" feature in the Character editor?
 tk102
09-30-2004, 7:05 AM
Slightly off topic, but why would anyone choose to distribute their mods as a .bif file rather than an .erf, .mod, or .rim? I wouldn't download anything that modified the precious chitin.key.
 Tanesh
09-30-2004, 7:07 AM
Originally posted by tk102
Could it be the IsChild field causing problems?

As far as I know, Fred enforces Bioware's documentation on the subject, while I (and KotOR) do not.

Tanesh, did you perform a Paste as Copy in DLGEditor, creating a circular reference in the dialog?

I actually don't know what's the problem with those 2 files. :( I changed some other conversation files with you editor, too, and all of them can be opened with the KT Conversation Editor. And I tested both of the files during the game; everything is on its place, no loops, no loose endings, no orphaned entries/replies ... It's a mystery ... :rolleyes:
 Fred Tetra
09-30-2004, 10:39 AM

v1.0.1734.18635 (2004-9-30)

Features/updates:

Fixed issue with chitin.key files that had been altered by custom PC packs
Added toolbar
Changing the settings for Module Description and Location visibility now causes the treeview to update immediately instead of the next time Kotor Tool was started.
Added the ability to view TGA files stored in BIFs in external viewer/editor via a double-click
 StormTrooper789
09-30-2004, 1:48 PM
Can you upgrade existing installations with the installer you provide?
 Fred Tetra
09-30-2004, 6:56 PM
You're supposed to be able to do that, according to the InstallShield documentation, but I have not tested it.

Since it takes only a minute or so to uninstall the old version and install the new one, I'd play it safe and do that. Or, live on the wild side and let us know how it works :)
 Darth333
09-30-2004, 7:47 PM
Dunno if it's because I live on "the wild side" but I did it and everything is fine :)
 Darkkender
10-01-2004, 12:37 AM
Hey fred is there a chance we'll see a update for the GFF editor side that allows for extended appearance and heads.2da references. Because I'll admit I'm looking forward to the day that I can start reducing the number of redundant editors because of minor issues. But hey I guess I don't have an excuse for avoiding those Kiss texture packs and trying them out now that you've given us this new update to kotor tool.:D
 Fred Tetra
10-01-2004, 5:10 AM
I've been avoiding putting in support for reading files from the override directory in the same manner that KotOR itself does for a number of reasons.

For one, it means that any editor that uses a 2da file would have to know how to first inspect the Override folder for the required file, then, that failing, it would get it from the BIFs, as it does normally. This may require a substantial amount of recoding to get it to work, and may also introduce new bugs into stable code.

Secondly, due to the fact that users can create thier own 2da files that may not be compatible with the other default files (or even be correct!), there can come about a perceived unreliability of Kotor Tool through the possible increase in the number of failures that occur as a result. In my experience, people are far more willing to blame the system than themselves. :)

As an aside, I haven't seen any of "those Kiss texture packs"; there isn't a Gene Simmons kit to be found anywhere in my experience. :D
 T7nowhere
10-01-2004, 6:02 AM
Well if we can't get KT to scan override would it be possible to be able to open Files like uti, utc, that may depend on edited 2da's.

With uti file there are 2 things I can think of that will stop KT from opening it. The first and most obvious is baseitems, to set it with a custom number the uti must be edited in gff editor.
The second thing would the disguise property, the uti editor has never been able to handle them. I think you explained why the disguise property causes problems But I can't find that post.

I thought I would also mention that if text is copyed from word and pasted in the description field it is very possible that the uti file will be come corrupt and you will be unable to open the uti in uti editor or gff editor. This is most likely caused by MS words formatting and there probably isn't anything you can do. I thought I would just mention it for some that may not be aware of this and it is a good idea to copy text from note pad instead of straight from word.

With the utc editor the only thing I know of that will prevent a utc from being open in KT is if it uses a custom appearance.2da row.

So I guess I'm just wonder if there would be a way for KT to reconize a non standard refferance to appearance.2da or Baseitems.2da and fill the baseitem and apearance nodes with a blank listing and then give the option to enter in a custom number into those nodes.

edit: sry if thats not clear But it's 7 am and I just got up :)
 Darkkender
10-01-2004, 8:30 AM
Also heads.2da T7.

What I was thinking fred was instead of having kotor tool look for custom appearance and heads files is to actually insert into user define lines. example being appearance.2da it has 508 lines of original defines if what you do is just insert lets say 100 more lines of "user define"(just blank lines with default status or something) inserts this would bypass without having it pop error messages and not open the utc. So when your in the GFF editor and your scrolling through the appearance line and portraits line at the bottom you see a bunch of "User Defined" lines there but you don't know what those defines are unless your looking in the proper 2da file because each persons may be different it just relies on default type of info.
 Fred Tetra
10-01-2004, 5:16 PM

1.0.1735.28265 (2004-10-1)

Features/updates:

Fixed issue with chitin.key files that had been altered to contain more than one copy of a custom PC pack by pack installer
Fixed bug that prevented script decompiler from running
 Drog
10-01-2004, 5:23 PM
Heh Fred i like the new version but you took away the Rim information about the levels example :
tat_m17aa(anchorhead) that was pretty useful :)
 Darth333
10-01-2004, 5:27 PM
Aaaahhh Friday evening and a new Kotr tool. What can we expect more :D

We have a French comic whose catch phrase is " l'homme qui tire plus vite que son ombre" (the man who shoots faster than his own shadow) Now we have the programmer who codes faster than his own shadow :D

Thanks Fred! Always fun to try a new version of KT :)
 MTV2
10-01-2004, 6:14 PM
Whens your module editor coming out,Fred? Or is it already out?
 Fred Tetra
10-01-2004, 7:08 PM
Originally posted by Drog
Heh Fred i like the new version but you took away the Rim information about the levels example :
tat_m17aa(anchorhead) that was pretty useful :)

It's not gone, just go to Tools | Options and check the boxes for Show Module Descriptions and Show Module Locations. They've been there for some time :) As soon as you close the window, the treeview will rebuild as appropriate.
 Fred Tetra
10-01-2004, 7:14 PM
Originally posted by Darth333
Aaaahhh Friday evening and a new Kotr tool. What can we expect more :D

There have, in fact, been 6 releases since 9-24 :)

We have a French comic whose catch phrase is " l'homme qui tire plus vite que son ombre" (the man who shoots faster than his own shadow) Now we have the programmer who codes faster than his own shadow :D

How would you say that in French?

"Le programmeur qui code plus rapidement que sa propre ombre"?

Thanks Fred! Always fun to try a new version of KT :)

I aim to please!
 Fred Tetra
10-01-2004, 7:16 PM
Originally posted by MTV2
Whens your module editor coming out,Fred? Or is it already out?

Well, as much as I can do for now is done. Having coded all that I had planned and designed, I have to go back and design more to fill out the features.
 Achilles
10-01-2004, 9:01 PM
It's not gone, just go to Tools | Options and check the boxes for Show Module Descriptions and Show Module Locations. They've been there for some time :) As soon as you close the window, the treeview will rebuild as appropriate. Grrrrrrr...I never knew that was even there :mad:

I'm glad I know now though :D
 MTV2
10-02-2004, 10:19 AM
Well, as much as I can do for now is done. Having coded all that I had planned and designed, I have to go back and design more to fill out the features.
Can you use it though? In KotOR Tool theres a button that says Module Editor WIP, what is that?your module editor?
 StormTrooper789
10-02-2004, 1:23 PM
You're supposed to be able to do that, according to the InstallShield documentation, but I have not tested it.

Since it takes only a minute or so to uninstall the old version and install the new one, I'd play it safe and do that. Or, live on the wild side and let us know how it works :)
It works! :)
The Install program says:
Originally stated by the install program
This will perform an upgrade for KOTOR Tool.
 Fred Tetra
10-02-2004, 3:41 PM
Well, the installer says that is what it will do, but it may or may not work in all cases. If you're updating a version released in the last few days, it will most likely work. And, as I said before, you can always do a complete remove and fresh install in just a minute or so.
 MTV2
10-03-2004, 2:54 PM
hey, fred, what does registering the kotor tool do?? and when i register, and want to send that file, it doesnt show up when it opens, but when i go into the file it has it there:confused:
 Fred Tetra
10-03-2004, 4:31 PM

v1.0.1737.34390 (2004-10-3)

Features/updates:

Fixed a bug that caused certain UTC files' Inventory to be unviewable.
 Fred Tetra
10-04-2004, 9:36 PM

v1.0.1738.39111 (2004-10-4)

Features/updates:

Removed registration requirement
Added RIM search feature to Tools menu*

* Some of you, depending on when you downloaded a release, may have seen a mysterious "Test Function" button ... now you know what it was for :)
Page: 15 of 38