Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JKA: Vehicles WIP - Speeder Bike, STAP & Dewback Pix

Page: 13 of 15
 Manquesa
11-30-2003, 11:28 PM
yeah, I brought the whole no visible rider for flying vehicles thing to the attention of Mike Gummelt of Raven, here's what he had to say.

Hmm... you mean "hideRider" doesn't draw the driver if you set it to 0 on a VH_Fighter? It could be that one of the other programmers who worked on MP vehicles just assumed you'd never draw the pilot of a fighter... if that's the case, it would take a mod to fix... :/ But, the SDK is out, now, so... :)

So unless Raven surprises us with a fix for that in another patch, somebody is gonna have to make a mod to fix it.
 keshire
12-03-2003, 8:48 AM
Wow quite the large thread.

Finally made my way here.
I do a lot of traveling but when I get back in town I'll get to work on improving some animations.

Anyways just some notes. I'm going through the code and taking notes on what is where, if I can I'll put together a new vehicle type. There is a vehicle type called FLIER which hasn't been used yet.

The one I used for the Acklay is the rancor because I wanted to use the dismember enum. Which is rancor specific. So any limitations you see with the rancor npc you'll see with the acklay.

There's an enum called BOTH_VT_ATB which I assume means vehicle attack back but I've yet to see any vehicle or type use it. So I'll look it up sometime and see what it's supposed to do.

And Duncan, if you have animations made for that droid of yours I'd be very interested in talking to you. Renegadeofphunk wants a player character one for Movie Battles which I'm sure I can get working.
 monsoontide
12-03-2003, 12:34 PM
Hi Keshire, glad you finally got here!
VH_FLYER - Sounds like the sort of thing that would be useful for my Aiwha vehicle and the Ewok Glider. (Btw Zappa_0 it's not finished yet - it's not even an md3 at this point!)

Speeder Bike is next up for BETA testing.
 Pnut_Man
12-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Everything sounds great. It's a bummer that the driver won't be hunched over, but i'm sure an update could be made once it becomes possible.

(Keshire, is that a male twilek model in your avatar :D?)
 keshire
12-04-2003, 2:35 AM
Why yes it is. Same one as in my sig. My own personal model that I never released.

And flier looks to be a mix of animal and fighter.

(VH_NONE),

(VH_WALKER), //something you ride inside of, it walks like you, like an AT-ST

(VH_FIGHTER), //something you fly inside of, like an X-Wing or TIE fighter

(VH_SPEEDER), //something you ride on that hovers, like a speeder or swoop

(VH_ANIMAL), //animal you ride on top of that walks, like a tauntaun

(VH_FLIER), //animal you ride on top of that flies, like a giant mynoc?

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Dec/20031238509229991402020.jpg)
 tFighterPilot
12-04-2003, 10:37 AM
w00t! :eek:

That sounds great! It could be used for that bird from Bespin (fogot her name)
 KHaRMa
12-04-2003, 4:04 PM
http://www.starwars.com/databank/creature/aiwha/img/movie_bg.jpg)
Or for this aiwha that moonson have already done :)
 monsoontide
12-04-2003, 5:13 PM
No responses :confused:

Oh well... I guess I'll just hang on to it...
 WhiteShdw
12-04-2003, 5:20 PM
LOL, that last comment was official then :D

Ok, sign me up for BETA again. Same e-mail as before ;).
 Vinvar
12-04-2003, 5:26 PM
I'm beta tester, if it is still possible
jotfclan@hotmail.com
 tFighterPilot
12-04-2003, 5:56 PM
I tried making a new npc, called it x-wingf and gave it VH_FLIER, and when I tried to spawn it, it told me Couldn't spawn NPC x-wingf

any sugestions?
 Pnut_Man
12-04-2003, 6:44 PM
Been looking forward to beta testing the speederbike for some time, hehe.

pnutmaster2003@yahoo.com
 kmd
12-04-2003, 7:20 PM
i'll test!!!!! shadowassasin2050@yahoo.com
 Kengo
12-04-2003, 9:57 PM
Personally, I think the guys who tested before did you proud. I'd like to sneak in to join their ranks if possible :)
 TBS_SDF
12-04-2003, 10:43 PM
amazing.....:eek: *jaw drops*
 Zappa_0
12-04-2003, 11:12 PM
Count me in for the speederbike. And also when do you think you can get the glyder completed or ready for a beta testing?

JediOutcastMovies@msn.com
 keshire
12-05-2003, 2:56 AM
That glider is going to need some creative editing to get it working right. Best idea is to see if you can get it working like the jetpack.
 kmd
12-05-2003, 10:52 AM
jotfclan@hotmail.com

JediOutcastMovies@msn.com

pnutmaster2003@yahoo.com

shadowassasin2050@yahoo.com

Kengo/whiteShdw [no e-mail]

12-05-2003, 11:07 AM
i'd love to test this. :D

jesuschristisinheavennow@hotmail.com
 monsoontide
12-05-2003, 1:23 PM
Thanks Guys...

Early to work today, so I'll have to send it to you tonight after work.

Ewok Glider is next on the list as I need it for my SIEGE map.
 WhiteShdw
12-05-2003, 5:12 PM
I thought you guys still had my e-mail, but i guess not.

kal_el23@hotmail.com
 monsoontide
12-06-2003, 3:17 AM
Hi folks

The BETA TESTERS are:

Whiteshdw
Vinvar
Pnut_Master
kmd
kengo
Zappa_0
t3rr0r

You should be getting it in your e-mal within the next 30 mins.
If not - PM me and let me know.

Gentlemen - start your engines

Good luck!

GO!
 kmd
12-06-2003, 3:30 AM
i just got it, its 1 am here, am i really tired so i will wait till my eyes are rested after a good mornings sleep to beta test it, so i will get back to you when i wake in, i dont, may wake up at ten. eastern standerd time :o
 kmd
12-06-2003, 3:54 AM
ok so I said to myself, what the hell, I just got done with it and if there is HUGE grammar spelling mistakes, it is 1:30 am, so please forgive me but, here it goes

Prose

As always, great looking model, I love it, in mp it handles like a Jaguar what can I say, it’s just a very very very good model

Cons

1.Cons are, in single player, it maneuvers like a mini cooper on steroids, I touch my mouse and bam, I just did a one eighty! Need to fix it, hard to drive in sp.

2. The guns are week as crap, took me several hits to kill a stormtrooper I spawned in mp, I took him out way faster running him over! Fix that, I want guns that do more than sting my enemy, and fire a might bit faster, they are also slow.

3. the color of the thing is a little off, and ugly, brown is good, but a darker brown would way better, this one looks like I puked on it after taking a spin in sp.

4. clipping problems, I play "Ghost" with it, definitely in the back side, I go right through most of it

12-06-2003, 4:31 AM
Naughty Sheep eh? :p
 Vinvar
12-06-2003, 10:17 AM
Ok beta tester -=JotF=- Vinvar reports :)

I only look in MP cause my pc doesn't load SP anymore I will fix that, but you know it...

1. The Model: Looks good no problems with it. I have only the feeling that in the movie the speeder is less long and more high...
The front is very good! Looks great, I was almost flying at all those trees cause I can't take my eyes off :P

2. The Skin: Again, I thought that in the movie he was darker, but it can be my mistake. Also for the back, is that right? I don't know for sure.
Blaster at the bottom looks great, just as the pipes, love them...

3. The animation: ...

4. The handeling: Quit good, but in ROTJ (episode VI) he had to be manoeuvrable. It had very very much trouble to make a corner. And maybe he can go a little bit faster. But that is only is the are enough big maps ;) I think you did that well, for JA it goes fast enough. The hover is quit good, I like that going up and down...

5. The Compatable: Every works, no problems...

6. Anything else: If you sit on it, your feet are not on the pedals, I know it is very hard to make it, but it looks more more real...

7. Sound: could be better, I had the feeling that I was riding on a swoop... I see if I can find some original sounds for you...

I hope you have something with this.... Srry if it is very negative, not mean to, but I write down the realy good things and the just good things are great, so only change (if you can and want) what I just write here.

-=JotF=- Vinvar
 keshire
12-06-2003, 10:21 AM
There are only so many rider anims to choose from. Unless someone makes more.
 WhiteShdw
12-06-2003, 12:09 PM
Ok, here's my report. I haven't read any of the other reports, because i don't want to be influenced by them. So if I say something that's already been said, too bad ;).

[list=1]
The model
Looks great, very detailed. Looks like I rememeber it from the movies and from my action figure. It does look a little bulky compared to the other speeder bike models. Perhaps scaling it down 5 % or so would be better. Also, as long as the player position stays the way it is, i would like to the the steering handles reach the players hands.
The Skin
Also very well done. I especially like the detail on the turbine engine when you look under the bike. Looks very nice. I would like to see a white variant Hoth skin though, if that would be possible.
The animation
I would like to see some animation for the brake flaps at the back of the bike, or if they're already there, something more noticable. Make them open/close on the left/right when turning and open them up full blast when boosting.
The handling
The turning is a bit extreme in SP, but I like it. I would like to see it toned down a bit, so I can make some subtler movements. Try something in between what it is now and what the regular speeder bikes have. MP handling is ok.
Compatibility
It crashes my SP game whenever I load a save file with the bike already spawned. Could be a map problem or even a code problem. I spawned it in T2_trip, which is the speeder bike map.
Conclusion
This is another great model and I think if you consider some of the stuff I said it would be perfect.
[/list=1]
 Zappa_0
12-06-2003, 12:26 PM
Ive got it and shall be testing it out soon and I will be getting back to you when I do. And Also im glad to hear about the glider, your gonna make the last battle scenes of The Jedi's Demise sweet.
 monsoontide
12-06-2003, 2:16 PM
Just a quick note:
I'm NOT moving the handles or the pedals - I'm hoping that eventually someone will be able to make a new rider animation.

The model is based of speeder bike blueprints - photos of the real on-set props and kit model sets - so it's as acurate as it can be! Colour depends on which photo set you look at - but for the most part it really is that pale brown colour!!! (I like the idea of a white on for hoth though)

I'm afraid that bounding box thing is an issue for EVERY vehicle.

GREAT feedback so far though - keep it coming! :D
 t3rr0r
12-06-2003, 4:20 PM
Originally posted by monsoontide
I'm NOT moving the handles or the pedals
and i thank you for that. :D

skin is super, and the perfect colour.
model is super.
handling should be less responsive (shouldn't be easier to maneuver than the swoop).

does "throttleSticks 1" work with speeders? because that would be a nice addition... i hate having to hold the gas, and you can't get a constant slower speed when needed.
 Manquesa
12-06-2003, 4:34 PM

I'm afraid that bounding box thing is an issue for EVERY vehicle.

As far as the bounding box goes, make sure it's as centered as best as possible with the root tags before exporting to .xsi. Then load up the model in ModView and select the option "show bounding box" this will show you the exact dimensions of the bounding box for you to put in the .veh file. Though you'll probably want to use a different setting for the height parameter still. But at least use the length and width numbers that you get from modview.

Also, once in game you can see the bounding box if you type "cg_showvehbounds 1" into the console (only works if you're in the vehicle). Well, it works for flying vehicle anyway, never tried that with speeders.

that's the easiest way to do it that i've found.
 monsoontide
12-06-2003, 9:02 PM
I managed to get the sound effects working - so it makes sounds when it walks and roars when it's just standing about.

Download it from:

www.pcgamemods.com) (http://www.pcgamemods.com/3322/)

Enjoy
 majinfedprez
12-06-2003, 11:51 PM
If anyone can make these mods, they are the best modder in the universe: Imperial Star Destroyer with turbolasers, landing deck (holds vehicles), bridge, other rooms, concussion missles, assault strikes, and trctor beams. If this isn't possible, make the closest possible. Also make Corellian Corvette, other capital ships, and Halo vehicles!! Also make it so it can carry troops, ships, vehicles, etc. Thanx if you can make it!!!!
 monsoontide
12-06-2003, 11:58 PM
Hi guys,

Released the N-1.
Download it from:
pcgamemods.com (http://www.pcgamemods.com/3326)
Thanks for all the help!
Big thanks to Duncan_10158 for his work! :D

majinfedprez - this stuff goes in the requests thread not here. :mad:
 monsoontide
12-07-2003, 12:00 AM
Hi guys,

Released the N-1.
Download it from:
pcgamemods.com (http://www.pcgamemods.com/3326)
Thanks for all the help!
Big thanks to Duncan_10158 for his work! :D

majinfedprez - this stuff goes in the requests thread not here. :(
 Vinvar
12-07-2003, 8:43 AM
can I download the ackley somewhere? did I mist it, or...???
 WhiteShdw
12-07-2003, 10:51 AM
Aaah, nice work Monsoontide. Downloading now :D
 monsoontide
12-07-2003, 2:44 PM
Acklay not ready.

More Speeder Bike Feedback please
 [FotF]Maddog
12-07-2003, 5:38 PM
Great work, I cant wait for the rest of your veheciles.
 kmd
12-07-2003, 7:50 PM
Acklay not ready.

More Speeder Bike Feedback please make a little darker in color, and better handiling in sp, also better gun, more poweriful...thats all
 mknote
12-07-2003, 9:31 PM
For the map I am making, I need the speeder bike. However, the color of the first one would fit in better. Is there any chance you could release the updated bike with the old textures? Otherwise, I will have to settle for the old one.:(

MK
 monsoontide
12-07-2003, 10:00 PM
In every model I release, I include the skin template so anyone can make their own skins. It's not hard. Try it.
 Duncan_10158
12-07-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by mknote
For the map I am making, I need the speeder bike. However, the color of the first one would fit in better. Is there any chance you could release the updated bike with the old textures? Otherwise, I will have to settle for the old one.:(

MK

what first speeder bike your are talking about? the speeder bike that is relaesed is not an older version of this one and this one is not an updated version of the one released. the old one you talking about is the speeder_bike_dun, this is speeder_bike_mst, these are to different models based on the speeder bike. these are NOT two version of the same model.

does anybody at all read the readme file or drink the drinkme bottle?
 seks03
12-08-2003, 3:48 AM
haha..... readme files what are those?
 keshire
12-09-2003, 2:38 AM
As soon as I'm able to leave denver I can get to work the acklay again. At the moment I'm kinda stuck. Stupid snow. 8-10 inches tonight and tomorrow.
 SD_Radical_Ed
12-10-2003, 12:40 AM
may i have permission to use your dewback in my level?
 monsoontide
12-10-2003, 2:21 AM
You can use any of our vehicle models as long as you put a credit in your readme.
 tFighterPilot
12-10-2003, 9:15 AM
What he said ^
 monsoontide
12-10-2003, 1:20 PM
Keshire - Did you escape the snow sucessfully? Let me know how progress is going. Thanks.
Page: 13 of 15