Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JKA: Vehicles WIP - Speeder Bike, STAP & Dewback Pix

Page: 12 of 15
 GothiX
11-23-2003, 10:04 AM
WhiteShadow and Usurpo basically summed up everything I had to say. :(

Anyways, lovely model, and incredible animations! I'd go with the spear attack, as well.
 Vinvar
11-23-2003, 10:10 AM
Usurpo:
Over-all: I love it. I can't wait untill the full version comes out...*grins with the thought of a Genosis Arena seige*

And who is making the Genosis Arena seige?
ME, -=JotF=- Vinvar (see progress www.jotf.tk)
 tFighterPilot
11-23-2003, 10:26 AM
He didn't hurt me in SP, but besides that, that thing is amazing, I'm sure it would get a full 10 when and if you realese it in pcgamemods.com

That's the best vehicle\creature ever!
 WhiteShdw
11-23-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by monsoontide
Good stuff so far - keep it up.
Thanks for the sounds Zappa_0 :D

As always, wil try and integrate as much of this as possible into the final - but keep in mind that there are some extreme limitations on each vehicle class and until RAVEN finally release the source code, not much hope that some of them will happen.

A quick supplemental question - Do you like the current npc attack (where it spears you with its foot) or would you prefer a bite attack (where it would bend down and chomp!)?

Yeah, it's a shame the bounding box is so limited. The shape of this model doesn't work very well with the current way of doing that. Maybe that can be changed in some way when the code is released, but I doubt it.

I would also prefer a spear attack, but I'd like it to look a little more like the Rancor attack where it draws back it's entire body and then slashes forward with on of it's claws. Give it plenty of reach so that it can kill like three or four people at the same time. That's gonna be extremely difficult to animate though.
 tFighterPilot
11-23-2003, 12:10 PM
Seems like he is very skilled in animation:c3po:
 t3rr0r
11-23-2003, 2:36 PM
this was in mp...

- the death animation needs some more weight to it... doesn't look very realistic (something that big is gonna crash, not settle softly).

- could be a little bigger (head clipping issue).

- the npc version grabbed me, bit me, speared me to the ground, and then ate me... not sure what's wrong there. also, i don't think the whole eating idea is that great, either.

- when it got in a fight with the rancor, neither of them could hit the other.

overall, this is a great vehicle/npc. the model and skin themselves were perfect for me, no tweaks needed.
 monsoontide
11-23-2003, 3:45 PM
Just in case you missed it, I started a thread for the Nexu. Early days on it yet though....

Keep the Acklay stuff coming (But let me know if you're finished testing - that way if everyone is finsihed before the end date, I can get started sooner on the adjustments!)
 Pnut_Man
11-24-2003, 6:26 PM
Done beta testing, here's my response:

the model
I was watching the Arena scene to get a feel for the proportions and i've gotta say this thing is dead-on. Nice detail on the model and the size is about right.
the skin
Great skin. Not sure if you made this from scratch or just molded an image, but nonetheless, it's fantastic work :D
the animation
Hmm, that's what i was thinking at first. The walking animations seem to be fine. The swipe attack, i expected it to be more horizontal and i'm not sure if there could be 2 possible attacks, but a vertical stab would work nicely. I noticed in Episode 2--the Acklay moves around alot. When it's in idle position, perhaps it could move a few of its legs around?
the handling
No problems with the handling; just as good as your other work!
compatibility
Works in both Single Player, Multiplayer and all the gametypes.
anything else
Of course this thing needs sounds, but I think someone grabbed a few for you...Anyway, walking sounds would be appreciated. This was also mentioned--being eaten by this thing is just..weird..I could expect being perhaps bitten, not sure though. Awesome job overall :D
 RJW_ca
11-24-2003, 11:47 PM
If you send me the model so I can get a fel for it--I can make you the sounds--walking sounds, voice sounds ect...

RJW_ca "OUT"

RJW_ca@rogers.com
 monsoontide
11-25-2003, 1:01 AM
BETA testing is strictly limited to those who apply in time (And prove reliable).

You'll just have to wait until the model is released like everyone else.
 monsoontide
11-26-2003, 1:20 PM
Let me know if you're done and I'll get going on the final! :)
 t3rr0r
11-26-2003, 1:42 PM
Let me know if you're done and I'll get going on the final! :)
go for it.
 TIE-pilot
11-26-2003, 3:12 PM
YESSSS go for it I cant wait... P.S. can u put here a fiew screenshots???
 WhiteShdw
11-26-2003, 4:40 PM
I stand by my original comments. Looking forward to the final Monsoontide ;).
 Kengo
11-26-2003, 4:49 PM
Can ya gave me till the end of today...

Again rather later than the other testers...:o
 TIE-pilot
11-26-2003, 4:50 PM
ehhh and what about the N1 starfighter?
is it released?
And can u update ur list with thevehicles
monsoontide? (page 6 reply 2)
 monsoontide
11-26-2003, 6:39 PM
No problem Kengo :)

Anyway, here's how things stand on all my Jedi Academy projects!!

However, both Duncan an Keshire are VERY busy with other things at the moment, so progress is slow.

STAP (Released) :bdroid2:
Sith Speeder (Released) :mauls:

Dewback (BETA Finished - Final Changes In Progress)
Naboo N-1 Stafighter (BETA Finished - Final Changes In Progress) :naboo:Acklay (BETA in progress)
Speeder Bike (Model Re-Finished - Waiting on conversion by Duncan_10158 so we can BETA it) :speeder:
Biker Scout Player Model (Keshire is now working on the conversion) :speeder:

Ewok Glider (Model Finished - 95%)
Skiff (Model Finished - Texturing 90%) :fett:
Anakins Airspeeder (Model Finished - Texturing 75%)
Aiwha (Model 90% Finished - Texturing 50%)
Nexu (Model 70% Finsihed - Texturing 10%)

Battle Of Endor Siege Map (Forest 30% Complete - Bunker 60% Complete - SuNburN is working on this section)
Anchorhead Siege Map (Conversion from Jedi Outcast 15% Complete)
Bast Castle Siege Map (Conversion from Jedi Outcast 10% Complete)
 kmd
11-26-2003, 7:15 PM
Originally posted by Kengo
Can ya gave me till the end of today...

Again rather later than the other testers...:o its alll good, you like the movie momento so you cool!!!!
 Kengo
11-26-2003, 8:27 PM
Originally posted by kmd
its alll good, you like the movie momento so you cool!!!!

Very perceptive my friend :)

Beta work on right now!
 SpecialForces
11-26-2003, 11:09 PM
can you post some pictures of it moonsoontide?
 Kengo
11-26-2003, 11:39 PM
http://www.starwars.com/databank/creature/acklay/img/eu_bg.jpg)

Acklay Beta Test Report - Kengo

1: The model - The model is really wonderfully designed, you seem to me to have the shape of the creature just right. There are, in MP far more than SP, some bounding box problems; the central body is solid enough but you can run through the legs, the tail and the head. These parts also don't seem to stop incoming fire or take damage. In SP the bounding box seems about right, as does the damage.

To me it could perhaps be a *little* larger - see the pic from SW.com Episode 2 above for a scale reference. Certainly, theres not much in it and its hardly a big issue.

As has been mentioned, the players head goes into the creatures a little when sitting on it, and also his saber occasionally will go through a leg. Also, it seems extremely difficult to swing your saber at anything when you are riding the creature, with its size and the height you are at, I just couldn't seem to hit anyone. This sseems rather hard to get around, if the damage from it hitting people was improved, I don't think it would be a problem.

2: The skin - The skin is excellent. Colouration seems accurate and its nicely detailed.

3: The animation - Amazing animating work I have to say. The walking animation is just spot on. The attack animation is good, although the Acklay does seem to try to eat the player - which is maybe a little odd. It still looks rather good, all told.

4: The handling: - Handles well, easy to move and seems about the right speed. I noticed if you ram right into someone, they just block you, but if you kinda brush past them, the edge of the legs touching them, they take damage, sometimes fatal. To me that could do with some tweaking, this thing running at someone would be more deadly.

I couldn't get it to break into a run - this could very well be my game though, I couldn't get the speeders to turbo either...weird. Ignore this if no one else had it!

5: Compatablity - Works in all modes - the bounding box is noticably better in SP.

6: The health as an NPC seems too high for me. Sure its tough, but Obi-Wan still killed it with a few heavy swipes - here it seems to take a MASSIVE amount of damage before keeling over. Not much of a problem with the vehicle versions damage levels though, if anything I might almost say they were a bit low.

Final thoughts: I gotta tell you, I found this thing the scariest of the three creatures in the Geonosis Arena and you have REALLY captured that fear factor for me. Seeing one of these things charging at you really is enough to make anyone think. The model, the skin, the animation - they combine to give this thing the truely creepy nature it has in the films. Throw in some good custom sounds and you have an absolutely stunning creature :)
 kmd
11-26-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Kengo
Very perceptive my friend :)

Beta work on right now! i quess, but i love that movie, so anything from, it sticks out to me :cool: any way be looking foward to the realese of the n1!!!! good work monsoontide
 TIE-pilot
11-27-2003, 12:36 PM
the n-1 is my favourit ship (move and i think in the game too)
ahh i hope the release is in this month
or i ...

TIE-pilot
 TIE-pilot
11-27-2003, 1:33 PM
oops the "move" in my message = movie
 tFighterPilot
11-27-2003, 3:05 PM
Mine was always the snow-speeder, that's why I perfered rogue squadron over battle for naboo...

Every one and his taste ;)
 kmd
11-27-2003, 3:18 PM
Originally posted by imyourfather
Mine was always the snow-speeder, that's why I perfered rogue squadron over battle for naboo...

Every one and his taste ;) mine is the a-wing, in the tie fighter games that thing was the hardest to shoot down, took years to take one out, they small, they pack a wollup, and cool looken, so i go that out of the imperial/rebel main ships
 TIE-pilot
11-27-2003, 3:20 PM
yea i downloaded the snow-speeder too its ver cool and strong .
VERY GOOD WORK!!!!
The screens from the N-1 are really good (the old screens)
but can u put new screens into the forum?
I think the n-1 is really good work too

TIE-pilot
 Usurpo
11-27-2003, 3:34 PM
My favorite ship? The Jedi Starfighter! Super fast, and quite deadly, nothing can touch it! Oh, did I mention it looks nice too? :p
 Kengo
11-27-2003, 4:43 PM
Originally posted by imyourfather

Every one and his taste ;)

In fairness also, Rogue Squadron was a great game, wheras Battle for Naboo (which I got packaged free with JO) is one of the worst games I've ever played.

Call me a traditionalist, but the X-Wing is still my favourite :)
 monsoontide
11-27-2003, 5:01 PM
Being the evil guy I am - I'm kinda partial to the Tie Interceptor (Though preferably the Tie Advanced or Tie Defender but since they're only in the game...)
As far as the rebels go I like the B-Wing - but just where the hell did they go at the battle of Endor? Anyone else notice they just dissappear.
As far as the new films, I really the Queens ship from TPM and Padme's yacht. Must be the chrome - mmmmm.... chrome. :P

New pix sometime this weekend.
 kmd
11-27-2003, 5:07 PM
rouge squadren was a great game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! loved it, i didnt care for battle for naboo, but was suckerd in to paying 40 bucks for it, the land/air vehicles drew me to it :cool: =:) =:( =:mad: oh well, i hope to God they port over rogue 2 and 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Vinvar
11-27-2003, 5:25 PM
and what about rebel strike? does anyone know?
 Gonkish
11-27-2003, 6:39 PM
Everything seems to be progressing quite nicely. Excellent work, monsoon and others. :)

This is just an offhand type of thing.. but does anyone know of someone modelling the Sith troopers from KotOR? They'd be fantastic player (and NPC) models...
 WhiteShdw
11-27-2003, 6:48 PM
Originally posted by Gonkish
This is just an offhand type of thing.. but does anyone know of someone modelling the Sith troopers from KotOR? They'd be fantastic player (and NPC) models...

man, if I could model, I'd do those myself. Those would look cool. How about that Sith Fighter from KOTOR btw? That one also looked great.
 monsoontide
11-28-2003, 3:56 AM
Hi Folks,

By now I imagine most of you are already aware that the Jedi Academy Software Development Kit has been released!

Still downloading it so not certain how much is different or updated than the tools in the Jedi Outcast SDK.

On a different track - last I heard about Rebel Strike was that there is some intention of porting it to the X-box. Personally I would like to see a new version of X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter but with Rebel Strike level graphics and on the PC damnit!
 Manquesa
11-28-2003, 5:49 AM
Originally posted by Usurpo
My favorite ship? The Jedi Starfighter! Super fast, and quite deadly, nothing can touch it! Oh, did I mention it looks nice too? :p

I am working on converting this (http://www.pcgamemods.com/1311/) to a vehicle to JA, still need to contact the author though for permission, but I don't forsee any issues with that.
 seks03
11-28-2003, 7:05 AM
Manquesa, thanks you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ive wanted this model for sometime now
 Usurpo
11-28-2003, 2:42 PM
*cries* Thank you! I love that ship! That, and the Republic Gunship will be my favorite shipies! Woo Hoo!
 monsoontide
11-30-2003, 2:51 AM
Updated
Set 1. Dewback
Set 2. Speeder Bike (Note: riders position isn't changable so I can't make him fit the bike)
Set 3. N1 Starfighter
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/dewback_01.jpg)
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/dewback_02.jpg)
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~monsoontide/NewFiles/dewback_03.jpg)
 monsoontide
11-30-2003, 2:52 AM
 monsoontide
11-30-2003, 2:53 AM
 seks03
11-30-2003, 5:36 AM
Wow im going apes for theses models! :) :monkey4:

are they downloadable yet?
 TIE-pilot
11-30-2003, 6:18 AM
WOOOOOOOOOOOW VERY GOOD WORK itv VERY VERY nice
the chrome from the n1 looks great

good work
are they downloadable?

TIE-pilot

(sorry for mistakes but im german and my english is bad)
 WhiteShdw
11-30-2003, 7:35 AM
(Note: riders position isn't changable so I can't make him fit the bike)

perhaps you can try modeling the bike so it fits the rider position better? I think it looks pretty good already. If you could turn the steering bars a little downward and maybe make them a little longer they would reach to the playermodels hands. That's whay I used to do with my action figure of this thing.(but that was at least 15-20 years ago :)).

The others look great as well. One thing about the N1. Are you planning on modeling the interior as well, because I think a transparent cockpit would look better than a the black one you have now.
 Pnut_Man
11-30-2003, 11:00 AM
monsoontide, with the Sourcecode released, it's still not possible to change the rider's position?
 monsoontide
11-30-2003, 3:13 PM
Hey Guys - thanks for the feedback on the Acklay!!!
Your input is greatly appreciated! :D
Will send the feedback along to Keshire and see if he can make some improvements - while I fiddle with the .veh file and sounds.

I'm not trying to imply it's not possible to make new rider positions - just that I myself, have no idea how to do it (Not to mention you probably need 3DSMAX or SoftimageXSi).
As far as repositioning the model to match the rider - Duncan already did that with his speeder-bike. I wanted to keep mine looking more like the movie.
As for the N1 cockpit - I did think about doing that - but then you'd want to be able to see the pilot inside while flying and it comes back to the propblem of not being able to easily fit the riders to the vehicles.

I believe the Dewback is almost ready for release. Should be within the next week depending on how quickly Duncan can get to it.
 WhiteShdw
11-30-2003, 5:41 PM
monsoontide, with the Sourcecode released, it's still not possible to change the rider's position?

Maybe it's possible to model a pilot in the cockpit(copy over some parts of the rebel pilots perhaps?), so you'll have a pilot in the seat in vehicle mode? And then have a seperate skin for the static map model entity, that turns of the pilot surfaces? I'm just brainstorming here, I have no idea if it is even possible to have skin files for models.
 Duncan_10158
11-30-2003, 7:00 PM
WhiteShdw, to have different skins for one model showing up one with pilot one without, is perhaps possible if a good coder helps us. there could be also a similar way, the pilot is modeled and part of the vehicle, but when the driver isnt on board the pilot model is hiden somewhere inside the vehicel not visible. during the driving animation we move the pilot into the cockpit. so your point isnt that bad, with the right code changes it could be possible, BUT the big draw back is the polygon count. a pilot and a cockpit would at least triple the polygon count and vehicles are anyway very sensitiv on that. we have to keep it low.
 tFighterPilot
11-30-2003, 7:27 PM
Don't forget the fact that the model would not have to be the one who got in the vehicle...

In short, Raven did a big bubu when making it impossible to have a pilot inside a ship.
 monsoontide
11-30-2003, 8:48 PM
The other alternative is to CODE a NEW VEHICLE CLASS - that is a cross between the swoop (visable rider) and spaceship (flying) and allows for different sections of the player animation to be used.
Unfortunately I have NO IDEA how to do this & there is NO documentation for this! :(

RAVEN really only half implemented this whole vehicle feature - just enough to get it where they needed it in SP really. I expect they'll have it worked out by the time they release Quake 4 (I think that's their current project)
Page: 12 of 15