Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JKA: Vehicles WIP - Speeder Bike, STAP & Dewback Pix

Page: 11 of 15
 monsoontide
11-15-2003, 4:02 PM
The pre-fabs are RADIANT prefabs for mapping!!!
You'd have to build a new one from scratch.
Have you checked out the AOTC total conversion - they're probably working on one.
 monsoontide
Have you checked out the AOTC total conversion - they're probably working on one.
 monsoontide
 tFighterPilot
11-15-2003, 5:13 PM
lol, triple post

Anyway, real prefebs are, in fact, map files, but those are md3's

http://www.massassi.net/3dos/md3s.shtml)
 Pnut_Man
11-15-2003, 5:17 PM
How 'bout that Endor Speeder ;)?
 monsoontide
11-15-2003, 8:39 PM
Having Some UV mapping problems with it. Am trying to get to it this weekend.
 Manquesa
11-15-2003, 10:26 PM
Just for the record, my next project as soon as i'm finished with my Awing is the Slave 1. Of course that doesn't mean nobody else can do it, just thought i'd make that known.
 monsoontide
11-16-2003, 1:37 AM
Hi Manquesa,

Was watching ROTJ tonight and noticed that those little exhausts don't actually have a glow or exhaust effect rotoscoped on them - they just detailing.
 Manquesa
11-16-2003, 2:52 AM
Originally posted by monsoontide
Hi Manquesa,

Was watching ROTJ tonight and noticed that those little exhausts don't actually have a glow or exhaust effect rotoscoped on them - they just detailing.

mmmm, ok, I wish I woulda saw this post before I just released the thing on pcgamemods.com. Oh well, i'm not changing it. What I ended up doing was putting exhaust tags on those 4 smaller engines (which now doesn't seem like was necessary) and recessed them into the model a bit so only a little more than the tails of the exhaust flames shoot out, then I put four tags on each of the big engines to make it look like one big exhaust on each.

Woulda been so much easier to keep it the way I had it before. Glad to be done with it though.
 Manquesa
11-16-2003, 2:53 AM
Hi Manquesa,

mmmm, ok, I wish I woulda saw this post before I just released the thing on pcgamemods.com. Oh well, i'm not changing it. What I ended up doing was putting exhaust tags on those 4 smaller engines (which now doesn't seem like was necessary) and recessed them into the model a bit so only a little more than the tails of the exhaust flames shoot out, then I put four tags on each of the big engines to make it look like one big exhaust on each.

Woulda been so much easier to keep it the way I had it before. Glad to be done with it though.
 monsoontide
11-16-2003, 4:22 AM
Phew :sweating: finally!

The chrome shader now works great :D
Heres what I have
1: The colour image .tga (with alpha channel - white areas have no gloss / Grey - inbetween / Black areas have full gloss)
2: Environment map .jpg
3: Glow map .jpd (Black areas become transparent) also has a sort of pulse added to it with the - rgbGen wave noise 0 1 0 1 - line.

Hope this will help anyone else wanting this sort of effect!

Heres the shader itself

models/players/n1_mst/n1_mst
{
cull disable
{
map models/players/n1_mst/n1_mst.tga
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map models/players/n1_mst/env_chrome.tga
blendfunc add
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/n1_mst/n1_mst.tga
blendfunc blend
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map models/players/n1_mst/n1_mst_glow.tga
blendfunc add
rgbGen wave noise 0 1 0 1
}
}

Just a few more tweaks to the vehicle file to make! Then I'll send it back to Duncan and see if he can make it big enough to fit a droid like on the x-wing (Or at least animate the R2 head!
 wedge2211
11-16-2003, 2:41 PM
You sure you want "cull disable" in there? That makes the shader visible from both sides of the face that it's on...when there shouldn't be any way to go inside of the N1 and look out, right? Having that line in there might affect the number of tris the game draws.
 monsoontide
11-16-2003, 3:56 PM
You're right.

Must've left that on by mistake! ;)

Will be used on my speeder bike though - So I can use single polys for the fins!
 monsoontide
11-21-2003, 2:10 PM
Well, it looks like Keshire almost has the Acklay ready for BETA testing. Should be in the next few days. :D
 kmd
11-21-2003, 2:24 PM
remind me, which one is the ackly again?
 tFighterPilot
11-21-2003, 5:33 PM
The big green spider dewd
 Zappa_0
11-21-2003, 6:05 PM
Ahem...Light blue, not green. And im looking forward to the Acklay release. Umm while im here I wanna ask if Duncan, Monsoontide or iamyourfather would be intrested in making a few vehicles for my movie. I have so far blue prints for a Droid Sub and an advanced Jedi Starfighter. If I forgot anyone else that makes vehicle's, im sorry.
 kmd
11-21-2003, 6:10 PM
man i want that aniken speeder to come out, but ackly should be cool for stomping peeps to death!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and as aweapon, cna it have gas come out its butt? the gas that comes out fo the mutant rancor? j/k
 Vinvar
11-21-2003, 6:40 PM
Where can I find the download of the acklay?
 kmd
11-21-2003, 8:13 PM
its not done te, havnt even been beta tested, it will most likly if every thing goes to plan, by 2 or 3 weeks before release, am i right monsoontide?
 tFighterPilot
11-21-2003, 8:47 PM
Originally posted by Zappa_0
Ahem...Light blue, not green. And im looking forward to the Acklay release. Umm while im here I wanna ask if Duncan, Monsoontide or iamyourfather would be intrested in making a few vehicles for my movie. I have so far blue prints for a Droid Sub and an advanced Jedi Starfighter. If I forgot anyone else that makes vehicle's, im sorry. Do you have top front an left?
 Zappa_0
11-21-2003, 9:07 PM
The Starfighter is a top and front pic. I may do a back drawing of it also. The Droid sub i have all three. Ill try to scan them here in a bit and also iamyourfather do you have msn messenger, so I can send them to you? If so message me at JediOutcastMovies@msn.com
 monsoontide
11-22-2003, 3:26 AM
8 positions for Beta testers open.
First come first served basis.
 tFighterPilot
11-22-2003, 7:59 AM
Originally posted by Zappa_0
The Starfighter is a top and front pic. I may do a back drawing of it also. The Droid sub i have all three. Ill try to scan them here in a bit and also iamyourfather do you have msn messenger, so I can send them to you? If so message me at JediOutcastMovies@msn.com I can't do without a left shot, it's second in its importance after the top.
 Zappa_0
11-22-2003, 9:02 AM
Monsoon count me in! And Iamyourfather, I will see what I can do.
 GothiX
11-22-2003, 9:28 AM
I'd be more than happy to beta test again for you; I think I even saved the instructionsfrom last time to my HD.. :P

gothicx3@hotmail.com
 kmd
11-22-2003, 12:26 PM
8 positions for Beta testers open.
First come first served basis. count me in man,

shadowassasin2050@yahoo.com
 WhiteShdw
11-22-2003, 12:42 PM
Hey, I'd like to beta test that Acklay as well, although I mostly do my testing in SP, but I'll give MP a shot as well.

kal_el23@hotmail.com
 t3rr0r
11-22-2003, 12:53 PM
i'd be glad to give the acklay a test.

jesuschristisinheavennow@hotmail.com
 Pnut_Man
11-22-2003, 1:30 PM
I'd appreciate doing Beta testing once again.
pnutmaster2003@yahoo.com
 Usurpo
11-22-2003, 1:33 PM
I would love to Beta test. My e-mail is akaplan@cableone.net ...
 kmd
11-22-2003, 1:49 PM
i think that is 7, here is a round up for monsoontide

akaplan@cableone.net

pnutmaster2003@yahoo.com

jesuschristisinheavennow@hotmail.com

kal_el23@hotmail.com

shadowassasin2050@yahoo.com

gothicx3@hotmail.com

zappa_0! And Iamyourfather

there ya go...one spot open i do belive, or wait, thats 8
 Vinvar
11-22-2003, 2:00 PM
If there is any lot open, jotfclan@hotmail.com I do!

-=JotF=- Vinvar
 monsoontide
11-22-2003, 2:34 PM
Just making sure everything is in place and making a few last minute tweaks to the skin. I'll post it out thisavo. :D
 tFighterPilot
11-22-2003, 3:03 PM
asaf_sch@walla.co.il
 Zappa_0
11-22-2003, 4:00 PM
Oh sorry I thought you had it.

JediOutcastMovies@msn.com

And oh yea Iamyourfather I have the blueprints scanned, I will put them on my site http://www.jedioutcastmovies.2ya.com) later this evening. I couldnt get a left side drawn, but you can do as you wish with it.
 monsoontide
11-22-2003, 6:27 PM
Beta Testing Positions Filled.
(In no particular order)

zappa_0
kmd
whiteshdw
t3rr0r
pnut_master
usurpo
imyourfather

Check your e-mail addresses. It should be there soon if not now :D

Be certain to read the instructions on usage & testing.
Post all feedback here.

Many thanks :)
 Kengo
11-22-2003, 6:30 PM
*Motions to Monsoontides PM box with giant novelty pointing hand*

:)

EDIT: I knew I shouldn't have stopped on the way for that haircut, sorry. :p
 monsoontide
11-22-2003, 7:37 PM
Ah... I always forget someone :(

Lucky I left a position for you eh! :)

Check you inbox in the next 15 OK!
 WhiteShdw
11-22-2003, 8:22 PM
Ok, I had a quick run through. Noticed some things. Here they are:

[list=1]
the model
Looks great. Nice detail and nicely scaled as well. I think it's about twice the height of the player character and that's about right. Haven't seen the movie in a while so I can't really comment about how accurate it is, but from memory it looks dead on. I'll pull out my DVD tommorrow if nessecary to double check.
the skin
Looks amazing. Color looks like it should. Very nice detail and not overly compressed. Wouldn't change anything, but it would be nice if you could get a little glossy effect shader going for it's back and head armor plating. I'll have a look if i can get something like that to work myself.
the animation
This really depends if you're playing MP or SP. As a vehicle I think it work great. Walking animation is good. It doesn't look like it's sliding over the floor, so the speed is just right. There are some seams though, most noticable at the area's where the head meets the neck, mostly under the head. Also a little bit where the neck meets the body. When sitting on it, it looks like it's head might clip the head of the player a little bit.

It might need some more work if you're planning an Sp NPC release though. There are some problems with the bounding box where at one point I couldn't reach the model from the front because it had turned and the box was at an angle. So I couldn't get close enough to hit it. I'll show you a pic of it if you want.

Also the animation for a single player release needs some more work. It's attack doesn't have much reach and overall looks a bit stiff. It's not much of a danger this way. It could use some more attacks as well. Still I'm very impressed that it works at all in SP.
the handling
No problems here. I never used such a smooth vehicle. Did have some trouble staying on it in SP, because Jaden always got off if I didn't immediatly move forward. But I think even some Raven vehicles have that problem.
compatibility
depends on what you mean with compatibility. I always test with a clean JA install and didn't find any problems. But it might have a problem with other mods, but I can't tell you that.
anything else
Overall a great job. Needs some sound ofcourse, but you know that. Shouldn't be too hard to get some from the movie because that scene is almost completely without music i think. Also apart from some scream sounds also get some sound of it's feet hitting the floor when walking. That would sound cool.
[/list=1]
 Usurpo
11-22-2003, 8:53 PM
NOTE: Sorry I couldn't get this up sooner, my sister drug me off to see 'Elf'...LoL. Well, here it goes...keep in mind my total testing time was around a half hour.

1: The model - As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with the model...save the head clipping. Your character's head slides right into Acklays. Not right. Might want to make the neck a little longer...

2: The skin looks great. I noticed a slight amount of mising skin right towards the part of the neck where it joins the head. Also, the spikey things on the head could use some more skinning, they look really blockey, and like you just punctured the head. [hey, I had to find SOMTHING to gripe about!]

3: The animation - Looks pretty good. Walking is fun, watching all the legs. Turning, though, they continue to run on the same animation...just slightly unrealilistic. The same pretains to the reverse. Its the same animation, just backwards. This can cause quite the unrealilistic animation skip if you are walking forward and suddenly go backwards.

4: The handling: - It handels pretty well. I would like to see a strafe ['a' and 'd' keys] included...it should be just a little faster, though. The same with reverse.

5: Compatablity - All files were included, and worked equily on single and multiplayer. Good job.

6: Other-Upon running around Acklay, I found that the bounding box is not right at all. You can walk through his feet, and right into his rump! Not cool...lets see...I fired some shots at it, and they were right through. Nothing short of explosives [Dets, Therms, Mines, floor aimed missile launcher, etc] damaged it. Speaking of damage, this thing is WAY to easy to kill. Seriously, give him a little more armor...[.veh file term, not to say Acklay runs around in chain mail] Hmm...I think it would be cool if you could run people over. I mean, you ARE on a giant lizard...as far as the enemy goes, I think it would be nice if there was more then one attack. I love the one you have, though. *gets slammed into ground* Does he it you when he does it? If so, then you need to fix somthing...there is a body when he finishes with you. He seemed a little tougher to kill...maby it was the fact I had to run away with jet-pack flairing. LoL...;)

Over-all: I love it. I can't wait untill the full version comes out...*grins with the thought of a Genosis Arena seige*
 Kengo
11-22-2003, 8:56 PM
Ah... I always forget someone :(

Lucky I left a position for you eh! :)

Check you inbox in the next 15 OK!

You the man! :)

Will once again be a pleasure to beta test your work, I'll try to make it more prompt this time!
 Zappa_0
11-22-2003, 9:42 PM
It looks awesome. I love how the acklay kills you. I will try to find you some sounds for the acklay. Ill get you a full beta report soon.
 Zappa_0
11-22-2003, 10:15 PM
Ive found about 5 files and have edited them best I could. They are from Ep2 and has some music in the files. Ill see if I cant find any more or maybe mix the files up I have into a few good growls.
 kmd
11-22-2003, 10:39 PM
SP

sp it is hard to stay on the thing, once i hit enter, to mount it, it get right back off, so in order to saty on i need to make it run as soon as i get on....the npc is is not real effectiv in sp, it does look stiff its attack, and has hardly any range on it, it cant kill a stormtrooper, becuase it cant hit it, need to change that. as mentioned above, more atacks would be cool.

MP

nothing really wrong here, wonderful and i got killed by that dang thing amny a times during capture the flag!!! very fun

Over All

Needs a boost on it, secondary fire button, make it run faster for a second or something. the walking animation is tight, really really good, just needs sound, when the feet hit the ground needs to be heard! now the look of the modle, direct hit, looks beautifull, wouldnt change a thing. overall 8/10, a few problems in sp, and no boost, thats about it, loved it and had a hard time finding things bad to say about it
 Zappa_0
11-22-2003, 10:49 PM
Ok Monsoon, I have sent the four files to your email address that you sent the beta on. I hope those will help and I will keep looking for some more.
 monsoontide
11-22-2003, 11:49 PM
Good stuff so far - keep it up.
Thanks for the sounds Zappa_0 :D

As always, wil try and integrate as much of this as possible into the final - but keep in mind that there are some extreme limitations on each vehicle class and until RAVEN finally release the source code, not much hope that some of them will happen.

A quick supplemental question - Do you like the current npc attack (where it spears you with its foot) or would you prefer a bite attack (where it would bend down and chomp!)?
 kmd
11-22-2003, 11:57 PM
how about both!!! if not, i like the spear since the rancors bite
 monsoontide
11-23-2003, 12:12 AM
I think the problem is that (without modding) they can only have one attack. Keshire says there are a whole bunch of anims that aren't used by the current vehicle class.
 Usurpo
11-23-2003, 2:50 AM
To me, it looked like he speared you, then ate you...LoL. If it comes right down to it, I think the spearing is more Acklay.
Page: 11 of 15