Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Return of Kick (among other things)

Page: 1 of 5
 CaptainJackZ
09-20-2003, 6:19 AM
We need kick back, and I know there is the one foot kick with dual sided lightsaber, but that's mainly a dueling technique. Kick as in the same kick that's still in JK2,was a major part of saber only ctf. I know loads of you think it was cheap and too easy to kill people that way, but in jedi academy, it's almost impossible to return the flag. rolling is terrible, it actually makes you go slower?! that's crap and it needs patching. I also think dfa shouldn't cost force to do. That super kata attack, sure that should cost force. But Single saber dfa, no way. What force does it look like is being used there? your not jumpiing high, just forward and swinging your saber. One last thing, I know lots of people are behind me on getting kick back and the other problems I mentioned here fixed. But there are lots against me as well. So I think to make everyone happy, kick and the cost of force to do moves, should be console options. That way if someone is running a server and they don't want kick they can turn it off. Same goes for the cost of force. Well that's all I really have to say. Take it as you will.
 Master DarkStar
09-20-2003, 6:21 AM
I don't think they should add front kick back... way to abusive. I do think they should add sidekick to all saber styles but with reduced damage (say 10HP instead of 20).
 Bacon00
09-20-2003, 6:24 AM
God no... the front kick thing SUCKED. There'd be 3 people attacking you, and you'd get kicked down... get up, get kicked by somebody else, get up, get kicked by somebody else, then sabered by a 4th person. It wasn't any fun... just frustrating.
 CaptainJackZ
09-20-2003, 6:24 AM
now your not understanding what I was saying. I was saying it should be an option. The admin makes the decision on how much damage kicks do, and whether it's there at all.
 Bacon00
09-20-2003, 6:28 AM
It's not the damage as much as it's the getting knocked down and being defensless thing. I guess that w/ the new moves for getting up (where you can kick the crap out of the guy that knocked you down just by getting up) it wouldn't be as cheesy, but then nobody would ever saber each other because you'd just keep kicking each other in an endless circle of KICKING!!!
 CaptainJackZ
09-20-2003, 6:31 AM
your still not getting the point. I said kick should be an "option" in console. meaning it doesn't have to be in your server. jeez, read my post b4 complaining.
 [div3rse.syn]
09-20-2003, 6:32 AM
you know what...maybe kick should do less damage...maybe you should get knocked down less frequently...but it NEEDS TO BE THERE. Why? Because in CTF, the capper moves...and a good capper moves FAST. There's simply no way to slow down the capper in JKA at all...nor is there anyway to kick them off a ledge...so CTF has been shat on. Also, knocking someone down to saber them was one of the few options you had besides randomly swinging your saber in jk2...and now in JKA, you can't touch someone with your saber...you can't bring their health down with kicks...you can't knock them down...and they can just drain back any miniscule damage you manage to do to them...it's a crock of ****. Sure, noobs are happy as a pig in ****...they can't be owned by anyone because there's no skill involved. But what does it matter? Noobs play in public servers with no competition, but there's nothing to attach to in this game...nothing for Clans to attach to, nothing for leagues to attach to...and that's sad.

To all you people who say "well I don't play competitively so I don't want these changes to happen" - well thats all well and good. But for those of us who DO, these changes make it POSSIBLE for us to play competively, and honestly, don't really change the game for you at all. Whether or not kick is in the game...noobs won't notice...but anyone with skill will notice.
 WadeV1589
09-20-2003, 6:49 AM
your still not getting the point. I said kick should be an "option" in console. meaning it doesn't have to be in your server. jeez, read my post b4 complaining.How about reading their posts as well? Doesn't matter if it is a server option, what they're saying is kick in general is cheap, if a server admin decides to enable it that server will most likely loose a lot of the players who hate kick; once you give that "kind of power" to server admins you give people choices which basically helps split them up, if the option is never there, no-one can complain about servers - do you REALLY want your game ruined by the guy or two that hates kick but stays on the server to constantly complain about it? And before you say "We'll just 'kick' him :D", what if voting is disabled and there is no admin in site?

To be honest I'm totally neutral to the whole kick thing, I don't care if it's in or not, I loved JO, I love JA, the game is important to me, far more important than the amount of complaints the community is capable of coming up with! And lets face it, together all the complaints in this board alone are like listening to grandparents saying "ooooh it wasn't like that back in the day". Do some of you still not get it? This may be the sequal to JO but it ISN'T JO. Did you play Dark Forces? Was that the same as JO? Did you complain as much then? Be happy Raven is such a community loving company that creates some great games.
 [div3rse.jello]
09-20-2003, 6:54 AM
loosing playres that hate kick ..

haha good then all the noobs would be gone
 WadeV1589
09-20-2003, 7:01 AM
Oh look complaint again, but now we're calling people names! I've said this before, I'll say it again, just because someone has a different POV to you, why do they automatically become n00bs? Have you ever thought you might be the person who's wrong and they're right? Or worse still, and heaven forbid, neither of you are wrong and just have different playing styles? :eek: - Then let's not forget, new game, new to everyone, n00b is the last word you could possibly use now!
 [div3rse.jello]
09-20-2003, 7:25 AM
if you were following anything in this topic you would have known "hating kick" would refer to JO ..NOT JA...since there is no kick at all.

n00b.. as you like to say
 WadeV1589
09-20-2003, 7:30 AM
As I like to say? You're the guy who's posted two posts in this thread about skilled players and n00bs.
Kick as in the same kick that's still in JK2,was a major part of saber only ctf I dunno man...I'd say that pretty much means we're talking the lack of kick in JA and wanting it back, so what did you mean?

I just hear complaints because what you consider to giving you an advantage has now been taken away and you're not happy that these people you call n00bs are now starting from the same groundstone as you.
 CaptainJackZ
09-20-2003, 12:22 PM
Ahem. Kicking was part of the game. I don't care if some people think it's cheap. I've certainly heard enough of the whiners saying it was unblockable/unavoidable. The general CTF Saber only world ALL use kick a lot. You see, we don't like running around slashing while someone else tries to slow down the fc. That doesn't generally work overly well. Now you explain this to me. MY idea, for the console options gives people a choice. Your idea however, is you think it should be gone. Now you tell me which sounds more fair...You have a choice to kick? Or it's just gone and people who enjoyed kicking will not be able to do it again?

Personally, I think my idea sounds a little more fair. Gives you a choice. Oh and if someone comes in a server i'm in and starts complaining non stop about kick, I wouldn't care. I like to laugh at people like that. Besides, if you beat them enough timeds they'll leave. =)

P.S. Dark forces was garbage. Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, crap too. JO a major improvement. All you did in jk 1 was slash saber and pull. Unless u played with guns.
 WadeV1589
09-20-2003, 12:48 PM
Like I said, I don't care if kick is there or not, if they put it in, cool I'll use it, if they don't, I'll find some other way of getting people.

Your idea sounds great...in a perfect gaming world, however as the mass of complaint threads in this one forum alone show, it's far from perfect. I'd love for all things to be optional and set via the server, however gamers are too split...how about expanding on your idea, not only is it server configurable, but voteable as well - that way the majority vote wins, if more people want it enabled, it's on, if more people want it disabled, it's off. One thing you can never argue with as being unfare is a democratic vote - majority rules!
 SlapNut
09-20-2003, 1:36 PM
what r ya talking about? i never used kick, and its not a huge part, but this new one with the staff looks awsome
 Agen
09-20-2003, 1:38 PM
mmmmmm.... it's gone... adapt. This aint JK2.
 WadeV1589
09-20-2003, 2:05 PM
Originally posted by Agen_Terminator
mmmmmm.... it's gone... adapt. This aint JK2. Many of us have tried explaining that, but all these supposed l33t players are having none of it, their l33t status means they have every right to say "this isn't here and it damn well should be!".
 Mordred
09-20-2003, 2:17 PM
Originally posted by [div3rse.syn]
play in public servers with no competition, but there's nothing to attach to in this game...nothing for Clans to attach to.

man why is it claners think they are so go damn good, because they have some crappy tag on thier name, anyone cant start a clan, u dont have to be good, which show because claners get owned on public servers all the time.

just because we dont want to be part of a clan and play on a public server does not make us noobs or crap.

nor does being in a clan make you good.

it people with attitudes like that always put me off joining a clan
 JaledDur
09-20-2003, 2:22 PM
I think sidekick should be there. I have seen a few posts saying that they didnt like kick because they were defenseless on the ground -- that is not the case now. If you are kicked you can immediately jump ack up kicking your attacker, or jump backwards and fly away, or roll side to side.
 Comm539
09-20-2003, 2:23 PM
For crying out loud. You people are so single minded over your own POV.
Kill a flag carrier who:

wants to avoid being killed

has infinite force from an energizer to constantly speed away

needs to be killed quickly before a healer arrives (you obviously have to stop him first and since theres no longer a way to do that, this point is barely ever reached).

Ways to stop him:
Pull whorage: He obvioulsy has absorb, meaning you power him up so he speeds off and your left with no force and your saber between your legs.

Thats the only way in JA to stop an fc and every member of the ctf community has stated the same: It doesn't work and ctf is stalemating to 60+ mins.

The suggestion is that kicking and other features are togglable. If you don't like them, keep them off, ctf servers will have them on. It doesn't affect your gameplay (which is obvious all those against don't play ctf, because they haven't got a clue what they're talking about), whilst ctf community gets what they want. I don't understand any argument against a toggleable feature ability.

Your next post will probably say: 'Stay in JO then'
This is a sequel, better graphics, bigger community, new maps and a few new features. We want the old feautres aswell (toggleable).
 Spider AL
09-20-2003, 2:28 PM
it people with attitudes like that always put me off joining a clanPeople with attitudes are everywhere, including in clans, and outside clans.

Noobs play in public servers with no competition, but there's nothing to attach to in this game...nothing for Clans to attach to, nothing for leagues to attach to...and that's sadI've run [FW] since 1999 when we played JK, I've been a successful competitive player in the two games throughout that time, and this game looks ideally suited to all sensible players, clanners and esportsmen. And me.

CaptainJackZ, you say kick was part of the game. It was. No, it was not cheap. Kick was part of the game, and anyone who thinks it was cheap should just suck it up and live with it.

Now, kick is not a part of JA. Suck it up, live with it, don't be a hypocrite.

If you were truly a serious player, you'd spend your time adapting to the game, instead of whingeing on here. There are many things I would have liked to be kept from JO... and JK, before it. They weren't kept. I don't complain, because... shock horror, they're different games.

To all you people who say "well I don't play competitively so I don't want these changes to happen" - well thats all well and good. But for those of us who DO, these changes make it POSSIBLE for us to play competively, and honestly, don't really change the game for you at all. Whether or not kick is in the game...noobs won't notice...but anyone with skill will notice.Serious players... Anyone with skill, that is,.. such people discover and create tactics. I'm sure you agree, and I'm sure you'll find a replacement for kick one of these days.

And anyone who uses the word "noob" the way you do, deserves to be stabbed in the foot, by the way. :rolleyes:
 WadeV1589
09-20-2003, 2:34 PM
Spider AL, I'm glad to see people like you :)
 Rockstar
bah all this complaining!!

who cares!! live around it! those who are despirate to get kicks back were probably just crappy kick lamers that now have to rely on their lightsaber skills (which = their ownage) :p

stop whinging! boohoo, ONE game mode is disadvantaged, when many argue that the removal of the standard kicks has been great for the lightsaber fights in other game modes

instead of preying for a modder just get good at the game like everyone else :)
 Comm539
Please this isn't about someone crying because they won't learn a new game. JA is the same as JO, they added a kata and took out a load of stuff. Any JO player can learn it in all of 30 seconds. But this isn't the point. I ask you why ALL of the ctf community is saying the same. This reason:

For crying out loud. You people are so single minded over your own POV.
Kill a flag carrier who:

wants to avoid being killed

has infinite force from an energizer to constantly speed away

needs to be killed quickly before a healer arrives (you obviously have to stop him first and since theres no longer a way to do that, this point is barely ever reached).

Ways to stop him:
Pull whorage: He obvioulsy has absorb, meaning you power him up so he speeds off and your left with no force and your saber between your legs.

Thats the only way in JA to stop an fc and every member of the ctf community has stated the same: It doesn't work and ctf is stalemating to 60+ mins.

I also think its fair to add toggleable kicks in JA:

The suggestion is that kicking and other features are togglable. If you don't like them, keep them off, ctf servers will have them on. It doesn't affect your gameplay (which is obvious all those against don't play ctf, because they haven't got a clue what they're talking about), whilst ctf community gets what they want. I don't understand any argument against a toggleable feature ability.

Your next post will probably say: 'Stay in JO then'
This is a sequel, better graphics, bigger community, new maps and a few new features. We want the old feautres aswell (toggleable).

Your blinded by your own ignorance. Imagine this hyperthetical situation:

Raven removes blue and yellow styles

Ctf is fine, we use red nearly always. Duel community cries. We turn round and say 'learn the game'. I don't see it. Your game modes are fine, we want a patch to help ours that doesn't affect your mode at all. Why are you so terminally selfish not to accept this? May I add, that some of the best ctf players are also the best duelers.
 WadeV1589
09-20-2003, 2:38 PM
JO is the same as EF, EF is the same as Q3, engine and basics speaking, doesn't mean they all have to have the same stuff do they? The facts are simple, this game is a sequal, you've gained some new stuff, you've lost some old stuff, why go on and on in page after page of posts in these forums with what you want "back" and what you want gone? I say "back" because you haven't lost them in the first place, this not being JO and all...:rolleyes:

When the code is out and people can mod, let them, just for now, deal with having to learn new techniques, this game will have been beta tested and people who are paid to play games will have found it to work well, probably because they hadn't played JO before so learnt techniques for JA from scratch instead of trying all their old stuff then being baffled when it works no more.

When will you lot listen to the simple fact THIS IS NOT JO!

Ctf is fine, we use red nearly always. Duel community cries. We turn round and say 'learn the game'. I don't see it. Your game modes are fine, we want a patch to help ours that doesn't affect your mode at all. Why are you so terminally selfish not to accept this? May I add, that some of the best ctf players are also the best duelers.
Hello? Why would they remove that now? It's in the game so will stay in the game. The JO kicks were never in the JA code so you haven't had them removed! Raven decided these things to bring variety into the game, you've been force to learn new techniques and instead you've resorted to complaining about it. That is a very poor example.
 skywalker19
09-20-2003, 2:40 PM
Originally posted by Agen_Terminator
mmmmmm.... it's gone... adapt. This aint JK2.

correctamundo! time to move on people :)
 Comm539
09-20-2003, 2:42 PM
omg. gk, pk, k, ptk, gripkick, roll, strafe jump, weak sabers. This is whats taken out.

Added:
Duel sabers (spamming for noobs)
saber staff (available in JO)
kata (only a fool would walk into, definately not an fc)

Thats whats added. Any JO player can learn this is 30 seconds. All other feautures were in JO and if they were effective in ctf, we would have already used them. So you see, nothing new to leran and all ways to kill an fc gone.
You obviously haven't got a clue about how s/o ctf is run, so please don't interfer. It doesn't concern you. What we ask for equally won't affect your game mode. In short, but out.
 WadeV1589
09-20-2003, 2:45 PM
So you see, nothing new to leran and all ways to kill an fc gone.
You don't understand do you? All YOUR ways to kill an fc are gone, you just can't hack having to learn new techniques all over again.

All these posts come down to the"l33t" being forced to start over again with a new learning curve. And your only arguments against this are "there is nothing to learn"...please, yes there is, you're just happier to deny it and demand JO back...

You do realise basically what you're asking for is JA in the style of JO...i.e. JO again just looking better. THAT is why people keep using "go back to JO" because that's basically what you're asking for!
 Spider AL
09-20-2003, 2:45 PM
Please this isn't about someone crying because they won't learn a new game. JA is the same as JO, they added a kata and took out a load of stuff. Any JO player can learn it in all of 30 seconds. But this isn't the point. I ask you why ALL of the ctf community is saying the same. This reason:Firstly I love the way people like you declare themselves to be the spokespeople for the entire CTF community. Well I'm part of the fraggin' CTF community, and you sure as poo don't speak for ME.

Secondly, I very much doubt anyone's interested in hearing the old "THIS IS NOT A NEW GAME THIS IS JO IT SHULD BE CALLED A MOD" nonsense. It's a new game, live with it.

For crying out loud. You people are so single minded over your own POV.Irony is just a transition metal with a semivowel on the end to you, isn't it.

Where's the fellow who says "pot to kettle: 'You're black.'" when you need him...

Ways to stop him:Make up some new ones.

Ctf is fine, we use red nearly always. Duel community cries.Guhh, SO many duellists only ever used red... your example is like your argument.
 CaptainJackZ
09-20-2003, 2:51 PM
We never said we spoke for the entire ctf community. Only ctf saber only. Ur probably a gunner so u must love this new game. All the maps are designed for gunners too. But I don't really care about that. It's new maps new maps are good. But ur still not realizing the point. There is no new strategy to learn to kill the fc. u simply can't. u can't even rage dfa anymore, thx to dfa costing force. A person who is capper is invincible. UNless they're a complete moron and jump constantly over gaps with no absorb on, or they're on the dark side.
 WadeV1589
09-20-2003, 2:53 PM
There is no new strategy to learn to kill the fc. u simply can't. u can't even rage dfa anymore, thx to dfa costing force. A person who is capper is invincible

Yes there is, it's just NEW and because you don't know it yet, you're frustrated and so complain about it instead. Something as bad as that would have been picked up during internal and beta testing, cuz invulnerability is a very bad thing.
 Comm539
09-20-2003, 2:57 PM
Why is the entire ctf community saying the same thing. Fine you might kill an fc who hasn't a clue what he's doing, but for a clan matcxh, an fc who knows what to do, he is now impossible to kill. This isn't a question of learning new things, because there is none.
Granted new saber swings, but take away the ways to stop the fc from running away in the first place and these swings become pointless in ctf. Remeber the fc wants to survive at all costs. He won't fight you, he'll run, have a healer, and infinite force. There are no longer ways to counter this.
 WadeV1589
09-20-2003, 3:00 PM
This isn't a question of learning new things, because there is none.There are no longer ways to counter this.

I'm still willing to wager it's all the "l33t" not being able to find ways yet and so complaining prematurely, hell all this started the day it was released! Less than one week and you've all officially declared the carrier invulnerable....could become a new saying around here "the kickin l33t become the cryin n00bs" - has a ring to it :rolleyes:
 CaptainJackZ
09-20-2003, 3:05 PM
ok smart ass, u find a way to kill the fc in JA. I've seen matches go on for 60 min 0-0. So if your so brilliant u go and find a way to kill the fc.
 Comm539
09-20-2003, 3:06 PM
I've played 3 games of unorganised, public ctf (with fc's who ar,for want of a better word, noobs. They hadn't a clue what to do). All games lasted in excess of 45 mins (one was 66mins), tied at 0-0. All 3 games finished because the fc left.
Imgaine what it'll be like with organised ctf teams ie. clan match.
You don't play s/o ctf or are new to it, its evident from your posts. This is the entire s/o ctf community saying the same thing. All other JO ways have been tried and failed (which is why we don't use them). The new kata is obviously a failure as prestated. No new ways to stop /slow an fc. Its not about new things to learn, its about no new things to learn, and old things aen out.

We just want a patch enabling togglable feautres like kicks. This way, it won't concern you or other game modes.
 Spider AL
09-20-2003, 3:36 PM
Originally posted by CaptainJackZ:

We never said we spoke for the entire ctf community.Wrong. Look:

Originally posted by Comm539:

I ask you why ALL of the ctf community is saying the same. This reason:Jackz, Get your facts straight, if you have any.

Ur probably a gunner so u must love this new game. All the maps are designed for gunners too. But I don't really care about that.I play all game modes, but CTF without guns has always been a favourite of mine... as comic relief. And yes I do love this new game. I'm glad you don't like it. I hope it upsets you greatly. :D May the same fate befall all whiners.

ok smart ass, u find a way to kill the fc in JA. I've seen matches go on for 60 min 0-0. So if your so brilliant u go and find a way to kill the fc.Wahaha, he's not the one whining about it. It's your game mode, it's your complaint. Do your goldarned research before you come crying to the LF about it. You go and find it. You be the hero to all the poor put upon sabres-only CTFers...

Snnzxxxxx...

Its not about new things to learn, its about no new things to learn, and old things aen out.Ah, there you have it then. There are no new things to learn. Straight from the horse's mouth. Anyone want a pizza? I want a pizza.

We just want a patch enabling togglable feautres like kicks. This way, it won't concern you or other game modes.People like you always want a patch for one thing or another. If you spent half as much time playing the game as you did brooding about how Raven won't give you the hundreds of patches you want every five minutes, why... you'd probably be a REAL Jedi. Levitate your mouse for me, go on! :D
 Kusanavi
09-20-2003, 3:46 PM
Good job Raven! (no sarcasm) I was tired of the spammage with kicks for example the grip + kick "ability" it was spammed way too much in servers.
 JaledDur
09-20-2003, 3:57 PM
You should all try to stop bitching. All you are doing now is attacking each other. WTF is that? Get a damn clue. If someone says there is a problem, prove they are wrong succinctly and be done with it.
 CaptainJackZ
09-20-2003, 4:53 PM
Spider,

Maybe you never learned to count, but I only see one patch requested there. :rolleyes:
 Comm539
09-20-2003, 5:17 PM
Again, people who know nothing about s/o ctf, or the ones who pretend they do, please go away.
Explain:

How to stop an fc in JA s/o ctf (for the benefit of the people who read this post even though it doesn't concern you, fc = flagcarrier. Remember, a guy who has infinite force, speeds away, won't fight and has a healer)

In short, there isn't a way. You could kick them, pull throw kick them, grip kick them, dfa them, rage dfa them, strafe alongside them, roll to them. Only ways. All gone. Rephrasing, all of the s/o proffesional ctf community (not the guy "I played ctf once one day so i'm the community) wants the features reintroduced. They could be toggleable, so it won't effect any other gamemode. I really miss why you are arguing against this.

Finally, instead of flaming saying 'learn some skill', i invite you to explain how to kill this guy. I hope you can be as enlightening as the other suggestions of "shoot him" or "send three people after him"
 Jedith
09-20-2003, 5:20 PM
Kicking is there to diverse the tactics. If someone is abusing it, go find a server where people use everything given to them. Stop complaining. Go start up your own server and do it.
 SITH_ShadowCat
09-20-2003, 5:55 PM
Christ people, the game has only been out for several days and you say there is nothing to learn. There is always a way. Back in AvP2 the way to take out cloaked campers was tracking rockets, it took about a year for every one to figure this out but it paid off. No this, if this was an expantion pack then you could complain about thigns being take out. If you can't stand the CTF server go play duel or whatever, or even better: go play JO, nothing was taken out of that? Just because Academy came out doesn't mean you can't play JO. You said it your self that nothing changed, so why are you here complaining when you could be playing JO were there is no "usless katas", "spamming duel sabers", and the best part is you have your beloved kick. Instead of going on for 3 pages complaing about stupid things, you could go do something worth while, like ride a bike with your friends (if you have any).
 Kurgan
09-20-2003, 7:42 PM
There's a lot of posts in this thread, so you'll forgive me, but there are two types of "kicks" in JA right now...

"Staff style" kicks which work when jumping or standing, etc. These are usable in MP for non-staff users if you enable g_debugmelee 1. Switch to fists (melee) instead of your saber (set saber attack to 0 force points in your profile, or else pick a non-Jedi class in Siege). Now you can kick the same as staff.

However, the classic JK2 style "flip kicks" seem to be carefully hidden (if they are still in the game). If you use g_debugmelee 1 in SP, they work perfectly, just like JK2 MP (just make sure you have level 2 force jump, then switch to saber or melee to use them).

But in MP they don't seem to be there. We'll keep looking though...

In the end, I don't think it would be hard at all to make a mod that adds them back in. Some people would hate it, others love it, but that's the beauty of mods.
 Comm539
09-20-2003, 7:55 PM
We're not just complaining, we are asking for the features to be toggleable in a patch. We move to JA becuase of better graphics, new maps and bigger community. No one said some new stuff in JA is no good, we just want the new stuff, in addition to the old stuff for our gametype (otherwise its unplayable).
The idea of a mod is already under way, but they have to wait for the sdk, then make the mod and even then, another mod may be released and competitions and ladders are divided over which mod.
I'm sure i heard they were in the beta, so surely raven can add the features as cvar toggleable, that way making it 'official'.

btw, I got teh friends, just not teh bike :(
 CaptainJackZ
09-20-2003, 8:34 PM
I didn't know you could kick in sp now. Thx Kurg =) But if it's that simple to do for sp why not do the same for mp?
 Kurgan
09-20-2003, 8:34 PM
I would like to warn everybody here to lay off the flaming and personal attacks (yes, that includes labelling other people on here "n00bs" for disagreeing with you).

For ME, it isn't such a big issue, because I prefer to use every weapon in CTF (and yes, that includes full force and sabers).

Having trouble killing the capper? Try this... g_saberdamagescale 3.

Now sabers do 3 Times the Damage they do in duels!

The part about "dividing the community" is irrelevant.

If it's a mod, it will divide between the people who use it and the people who don't.

If it's a server option built into the game, it will divide between those who use it and those who don't.

If it's in a patch, it will divide between those who use the patch and those who don't.

Etc.

If it's in the game, people will complain and want it removed.

If it's not in the game, people will complain and want it added in.

Raven obviously felt this is the way to balance the game.

I have a feeling (they can correct me if I'm wrong, as I very well could be) seems to favor certain gametypes.

For example, they favor 3rd person view for sabers, which is why they didn't bother with a transparent skin for first person sabers.

They favor Dueling with sabers only (which is why they only give you the option to use a blaster pistol as an alternate weapon, rather than everything like in JK2).

And I may be going out on a limb here, but they seem to favor CTF with guns or Sabers+Guns, but not sabers only. So for them it probably didn't mean a whole lot to remove kicks.

Again, I am all in favor of it being added to the game as a server option either through a mod or a patch (unless it's already hidden there, and we just need to find it).

Dividing the community always happens in a game with tactics and options this diverse. You can't stop it, you just have to find what parts of the game are fun and use those. And if it's not fun for you, then go find yourself another game that is!

Seriously though, we can express our disagreements without flames. I encourage you all to try to be more understanding... (some of you are doing a fine job, but I think you know who you are).
 Pyro
09-20-2003, 8:49 PM
yes i always hated kicking. only for noobs that can not learn how to learn the intrickercies of saber moves. hahaha you guys want to flip kick swift to the face but you don't realize that's not the movies like. why don't u go learn how to actually get some SKILL and then maybe u can kill the flag carrier hahahaha. you probably don't even know the new skins for darth maul or how to spin kata his double saber becuz all u care about is ur stupid lame cheat kicks (NOT IN THE MOVIES U NOOBIES). so what if saber ctf isn't good that game took no skill. i went to saber ctf one time and all they did was swift kick me to face down into holes now what kind of skill is that?!? i tell you, none skill, its just how fast u can press the jump button that's all. now, if u wanna learn some real skill go to ffa or duel server and learn the REAL game - that is, SABERS, like a JEDI KNIGHT, not some lame karate dude lololol. in short, stop complaining u whiners raven is 110% right to take out lame kicks so we can concentrate on our SKILLFUL saber swingers + heal when we get hit. my only complaint is that now the red dfa takes force to use, why make the most skillful moves in the game take force too use?!?!? at least now we can do more acrobatic moves like hang on to walls or run them up the walls that is so cool (like a real master of the force). honestly why complain about some stupid stuffs like kick when u get all those cool new things to do that make the saber battle so more IMPRESSIVE and AWESOME like a real jedi?
 [fk]myth.
09-20-2003, 8:53 PM
I keep hearing "There's lots of ways to kill an FC!!"

Okay, here!

An FC has the flag and is a little ways in front of you with speed and absorb and an energizer behind him. What do you do?

Attack? Nope, he has speed and you are behind him.

Kata? Nope, because you lose 50 force which makes it more impossible to catch up.

Speed up and kick him off the platform? Nope because kick has been eliminated from the game for an odd reason.

Probobly because all you people whining about kick whoring. So tell me, what's new in this game that could stop an FC who's in front of you, running away (not fighting like a noob fc), with speed and absorb, and with an energizer. This is the STANDARD fc in ACTUAL MATCHES. So please, enlighten me.
 BigFurryWhale
09-20-2003, 9:02 PM
lol myth, we keep asking this question and no one has replied other with things like "shoot him." "slow him down" "pull him into a hole" "send three people after him" "slash him" "kata him"

unfortunately, all of these things are either common practise (see "send three people after him") or would never work against a flag carrier who is not retarted.
 SonGohanX
09-20-2003, 9:04 PM
If indeed the majority of the Saber only CTF community feels that there's no way to kill a flag carrier...then maybe a problem does exist. I don't see how everyone can discredit their complaints without presenting a solution.

Pyro: Impressive looking moves that resemble the movie do not = skill. Neither does swinging a saber and healing. Skill involves being able to defeat your opponent through whatever legal means necessary. Kicks were a part of JO, therefore they were not cheating.

I suggest this article.

http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_PlayToWinPart1.htm)

I'm not flaming...just trying to help.
Page: 1 of 5