Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Models

Page: 1 of 2
 Temujin
04-28-2003, 9:49 PM
I have a HUGE issue with the Gammorean Gaurd... It looks bad, especially with his arm poking trhough his side. I know it's hard work making these models, but I mean YOUR KYLE MODEL AND TEXTURES ARE AWSOME but YOUR PIG MODEL AND TEXTURES BLOW! I'm sure it'll be better latter, but I just wanted to address this issue. Btw most eveything about this mod is great...
 Infinity Blade
04-29-2003, 5:19 AM
I would have to agree with you on the Gamorrean, and I believe it should be redone.

Of the models we currently have (and I've seen), the ones that seem to really need work are Jabba and the Gamorrean. HapSlash is currently working on a version of the Gamorrean, and I think it's coming along fairly well. I'm trying to get him involved in the project, and this was something he was wanting to do anyway......

....and that brings me to another point about replacing the work someone makes/offers to the project in general.

It's somewhat a delicate situation, as the people have offered their work and effort to the Mod, and to redo that work takes some pride away from the person.

However, I do believe in the old saying "One bad apple spoils the bunch". We need to maintain a level of quality that won't allow one part to bring down the rest of the project. To go along and see everything looking fine, then an eyesore leaps out at you......

I don't mean to offend any work done, but in a way it is "business". While I see alot of leeway (we're volunteers after all), I feel that something so glaring needs to be reconsidered.

I'm trying to make an effort to share my opinion and offer solutions as necessary, and I think everything will work out well. We all hold a great respect for work someone does on the project, even if we need to change our plans further down the line.

----------
Edit: Restructured it to have more what I was trying to say. Wrote it late night after a long day and little sleep. :D
 MilesTeg
04-29-2003, 6:54 AM
btw: do we really need a Jabba playable npc? We only need him for one cutscene..
 HapSlash
04-29-2003, 8:56 AM
Ahhh yes,... Ol' Sausage Legs!

I usually don't like putting down anyone's work,... but the shapeless mass of the guards legs, combined with the texture of the model's skin, thoroughly reminds me of uncooked green sausage links. :dev7:

I've started on my own Gamorrean model, and I do have some in-progress shots I can post,... if anyone is interested.

Technically I don't think a playable version of Jabba is necessary, but a model is needed for the scene. It would also be nice if his mouth would move when he speaks, which should be easy enough to do. I know of the model they did plan on using and I have to say that I find it quite 'lacking',...
 MilesTeg
04-29-2003, 9:47 AM
I found a highpoly 3DS model of jabba, but it doesnґt has bones to animate the face :(
 Infinity Blade
04-29-2003, 12:38 PM
Well, we can just make a Jabba npc that's weighted to speak. Maybe try to weight him so he looks like his torso moves a tiny bit, while the rest of his body being fairly stationary.

Would have to work with it, but I doubt it would be all that hard, and would look pretty decent in the end.
 MilesTeg
04-29-2003, 4:19 PM
 Katarn07
04-29-2003, 5:35 PM
Erm...

Why do you need a Jabba with torso and all?

You only saw the holo of his face... :confused:

I may have misread what you guys wrote...
 MilesTeg
04-29-2003, 5:45 PM
it looks much better with a high poly face instead of a in-game jabba. Yes, we donґt need the torso.
 michael_collins
04-30-2003, 1:32 PM
Have any of you guys flicked through the rest of that site? its quite the sight, lol pun intended...is there any way the team can kidnap most of the modelers ?
 Infinity Blade
04-30-2003, 2:21 PM
Originally posted by michael_collins
Have any of you guys flicked through the rest of that site? its quite the sight, lol pun intended...is there any way the team can kidnap most of the modelers ?

Well, we could probably do stuff with that quality too, but you're forgetting something.... something very important.

With JO, we're limited in the 3000 - 4000 poly range. The models on that site easily climb 15,000 or higher..... Like on their battle droid model.

Just one PART of the head on that model can have more poly's than a normal JO model. For the whole battledroid head, we could get 3 JO models.... Just imagine how much we could get for the whole body's poly count. ;)
 The_One
04-30-2003, 6:28 PM
Jabba will only appear in an ROQ, this was decided some time ago - I don't know how many members of the team know this...

So, a model for JO does not need to be created. It will be done in a professional 3D modelling program :)
 michael_collins
04-30-2003, 9:23 PM
Oh ok thanks for the lesson. Ive also been to Hapslash's site and its superb....id really like to see the snow trooper on MP.
 Temujin
05-01-2003, 7:19 PM
I'd like to see that model of that Gamorean Gaurd HapSlash... Thanks:sbdance
 HapSlash
05-01-2003, 11:51 PM
posted by michael_collins
Ive also been to Hapslash's site and its superb....id really like to see the snow trooper on MP.
Thanks,... But I wouldn't say that the site is superb though, I've always thought of it as a disorganized nightmare. I really should take the time to go through and fix/update it. But I'm glad you like the snow trooper, and here's a more recent pic.

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/snow.jpg)

posted by Temujin
I'd like to see that model of that Gamorean Gaurd HapSlash...
Here it is,... I haven't finished the textures for it, but I think I'm pretty much done with the mesh.

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/gamorrean-guard.jpg)
 Geoffrey S
05-02-2003, 6:52 AM
Looking good. The snowtrooper's spot on, the Gamorrean guard looks great too despite being unfinished. The only major thing which looked unfinished was the skin; too cartoonish and vibrant. The rest looked great.
 Temujin
05-02-2003, 9:10 PM
Although the Gaurd's face isn't too good, it TOTALLY beats the **** out of anything other model Guard. The Snowtrooper rocks, and it's really smooth. You got some good skills, and challenge those of the DF MOD models. (THE DF Kyle is hard to beat) Maybe the DF MOD makers will take your pig model because it's good (I can't emphasive enough that the one they have SUCKS REALLY HARD ****)...:headbump :punch1
 Temujin
05-02-2003, 9:10 PM
MY ICONS MESSED UP!
 Katarn07
05-03-2003, 12:57 AM
OK, it's better, we get the point. But I am sure the moddeler (sp?) doesn't appreciate you critisizing it like you are...

Also, the face will look better with the new skin, I am sure.
 recombinant
05-03-2003, 4:45 PM
Originally posted by infinity_blade
Well, we could probably do stuff with that quality too, but you're forgetting something.... something very important.

With JO, we're limited in the 3000 - 4000 poly range. The models on that site easily climb 15,000 or higher.....

...and another important issue: we currently only have the ability to use the _humanoid skeleton (I know, I keep harping on this issue.. sorry. ).

Since we're presumably doing an ROQ cutscene, wouldn't it be possible to do the whole cutscene in 3DSMax and export it as a series of jpegs to be compiled into the .ROQ?
 MilesTeg
05-03-2003, 9:09 PM
Originally posted by JediStone
Since we're presumably doing an ROQ cutscene, wouldn't it be possible to do the whole cutscene in 3DSMax and export it as a series of jpegs to be compiled into the .ROQ?
sure, we did it this way for the demo :)

The biggest problem with those files: they will get huge! there is a difference between a 200 MB and a 600 MB mod...

So scripting interpreter is highly appreciated ;)
 Solbe M'ko
05-04-2003, 3:15 PM
No offense-I must make comment on this mod. Your unfinished dark trooper model looks like it was taken right out of DF, I think it would be a waste of a good engine to port the models/textures right from DF. Your level textures, judging by the screenshots, were copied from DF. Why limit this mod to being a rehash of DF? Why not spice up the graphics some and give me reason to play it?

:duel:
 Darth_Linux
05-04-2003, 3:47 PM
not a single texture or piece of art is "right out of Dark Forces." They have all been redone at 4 to 8 times the original resolution. We are choosing to be faithful to the look and feel of the game, but saying we aren't "spicing up" the graphics is crazy. Have you played the demo yet?
 Solbe M'ko
05-04-2003, 4:12 PM
I played the demo moments before I posted. I just found the game to be too "familiar". I can't see any real advantages over DF. However, I think if you folks do a nice job with Jabbas Ship and with the weapons, this will keep on being a good mod.

-PS- Will there be dianogas?
 Fracman
05-04-2003, 6:50 PM
The demo does not contain the Dark Trooper.
And since JO is a completely different engine compared to DF, we can't use anything from DF. All stuff is currently being recreated for DFMOD!

Are you sure you played the DFMOD demo and not the original DF demo itself? :D
 Solbe M'ko
05-04-2003, 7:00 PM
Pretty sure, yeah.

The biggest preoblem that I could see was that nothing new was really tried out. For example, outside of the base the textures all look pretty much the same and don't fit together very well, like in DF. Why not make textures that work instead of repeating the mistakes made with DF? Just a suggestion that's all.
 Solbe M'ko
05-04-2003, 7:03 PM
Anyway, how you folks plan on making those big dragons in the Jabba level? Will they be like stormtroopers, or will they need special work?
 Fracman
05-04-2003, 7:22 PM
The biggest preoblem that I could see was that nothing new was really tried out. For example, outside of the base the textures all look pretty much the same and don't fit together very well, like in DF. Why not make textures that work instead of repeating the mistakes made with DF? Just a suggestion that's all.
Heh it's not that easy!
We first recreate all the textures and create maps that have the overall DF design and architecture.
Where it is necessary or looks better, some textures are replaced by detailed brushes (more detailed map elements).
Have a look at the Sewers screenshots, the horizontal metal bands are such details. They increase the realism of the map.
Where the DF architecture is not possible with JO or where it does not make sense, it is modified. But still according the look&feel of DF. The textures should of course look like DF. If they would not, we wouldn't call it DF MOD!

Thanks anyways for your comments on the demo, because there are indeed a few places where the textures are not properly aligned. That already has been reported internally, we're lot of people in the team, many pairs of eyes :rolleyes:

Please don't forget, it is a DEMO and therefore not exactly how it will look like at the end.
Most of us are learning how to make everything by the time, therefore you can expect increasing quality from piece to piece of the puzzle as they're being completed!

And make sure you set the texture quality to extra :D
 HapSlash
05-05-2003, 9:50 AM
Posted by Solbe M'ko
No offense-I must make comment on this mod. Your unfinished dark trooper model looks like it was taken right out of DF, I think it would be a waste of a good engine to port the models/textures right from DF.

Frankly, I think that this would be considered quite a compliment if it were not so absurd,... The original Dark Forces characters weren't 3D models, but 2D sprites.

The biggest preoblem that I could see was that nothing new was really tried out. For example, outside of the base the textures all look pretty much the same and don't fit together very well, like in DF.

While I too think it's a shame that the mod isn't leaning towards making the levels look more realistic, I can understand the desire to maintain as much of the original feel of the game as possible.
 recombinant
05-05-2003, 4:06 PM
Originally posted by Solbe M'ko
Anyway, how you folks plan on making those big dragons in the Jabba level? Will they be like stormtroopers, or will they need special work?

The creation & animation of the Kell Dragons and the Diaonogas are a particularly sticky issue, since the MP engine only supports the _humanoid skeleton + animations, as I've stated before (ad nauseum, actually).

However, it is possible that there may be a solution in the next few months for new skeletons & animations to work in the Multiplayer engine... :thumbsup:

But that's a little ways off, and it's always possible that we will run into yet another engine-limitation brick wall... :(

But hopefully we'll be able to work out a solution - even if that means using the Jedi Academy engine (though my hope is that Raven/LucasArts/Activision will release the SP code for JO later this year).

So we'll see... one way or the other we'll try to get this going.

As a last resort, we may have to come up with a pit full of nasty beasts created based on _humanoid - certainly not as fun as punching a kell dragon, but we may have no other alternative given the limitations of the MP engine. However, that's not for me to decide, and I'm going to keep working on what we've got.

HTH.

:holosid:
 Solbe M'ko
05-13-2003, 1:07 AM
Okay, just to clarify, I didn't mean that the DT looked just like the sprite (even I'm not that ignorant). I just meant that he kind of looked unfinished (Yeah, I know). His face and abdomen bugged me. He just looked like the closest thing possible to the original sprite, only 3D. I just think maybe a little more "dirtiness" and maybe a more sinister looking face would help (I think his head is disproportionate to his body), maybe some longer claws too. I noticed that in DF he looked a lot like the Terminator and in the mod he looks kinda like that now. But overall, a very nice model.

I took another look at your Boba model. You're gonna clean that up right? I mean, it's not "bad" but I looks like it has some clipping issues or something.

I'm not "dissing" your mod, so don't take this the wrong way, I just feel like expressing my nitpicky opinions.
 CortoCG
05-13-2003, 5:18 PM
No more updates.
 recombinant
05-13-2003, 5:28 PM
Thanks for the update, Corto!!!

Sounds awesome!!!

:D
 CortoCG
05-13-2003, 5:42 PM
No more updates.
 The_One
05-13-2003, 7:07 PM
Yeah, don't mess with Corto, his eyebrows could knock a man dead :p

*Runs*
 Solbe M'ko
05-13-2003, 8:45 PM
Don' be hatin'!:cool:
 CortoCG
05-13-2003, 11:17 PM
No more updates.
 Kyral
05-23-2003, 6:56 PM
Hi!
Well first of all, this is my first post *g*

I just want to say that this mod is doing great and i played the demo an felt like in good old Dark Forces times.

But there is a weaponmodel on your site, that really bugs me.

The Dark Trooper Assault Cannon!
It dosn't look like the DF Assault Cannon at all!
I'm very sorry if this sounds offending.
But the original Assault Cannon looks like this:

http://www.eyrie.org/~aerianne/dark.forces/phase2.gif)
 HapSlash
05-24-2003, 12:18 PM
I believe the models in the weapon screenshots of the website are intended to be viewed in the first person mode only, and have been distorted so they look like the weapons did in the original game.
 ewok mercenary
05-24-2003, 4:37 PM
To be honest I think I think the assault cannon should look more like the one seen on the DT: It looks sleeker and more like a gun.
 Katarn07
05-24-2003, 7:08 PM
Originally posted by ewok mercenary
To be honest I think I think the assault cannon should look more like the one seen on the DT: It looks sleeker and more like a gun.

But DF is meant to be played in the 1st person. PERHAPS it is possible to make one for the DT enemies, and upon pickup, it switches to the 1st person version you guys have?
 The_One
05-24-2003, 8:55 PM
Don't worry too much about this. I believe this, and other weapons, have changed a fair bit since the screenshots on that page were taken - which was quite a long time ago.
 The Count
05-25-2003, 7:26 AM
Off topic, but how did your Exam go?
 The_One
05-26-2003, 9:11 AM
OK, apart from one question where I don't think I really gave the answer they were looking for. They asked "How satisfying did you find the ending of 'The Winter's Tale'?" - I basically said, in about 3 pages that I thought it sucked - not quite that blunt, but I certainly wasn't very kind about Shakespeare...

:p
 Salv
05-26-2003, 11:05 AM
As Rich mentioned, I wouldnt worry about it...since the models have change not only abit, but A LOT since then..
 Geoffrey S
05-26-2003, 12:32 PM
Bah! Everybody just wants to see more fantastic weapon screenshots! After that stuff with the Imperial Repeater I do too, to be honest. That weapon looked perfect.
 The Count
05-26-2003, 1:25 PM
Originally posted by The_One
OK, apart from one question where I don't think I really gave the answer they were looking for. They asked "How satisfying did you find the ending of 'The Winter's Tale'?" - I basically said, in about 3 pages that I thought it sucked - not quite that blunt, but I certainly wasn't very kind about Shakespeare...

:p

Don't they reward you for being analyitical?
 The_One
05-26-2003, 1:47 PM
Originally posted by Count_D00ku
Don't they reward you for being analyitical?

Let's hope so...
 chris the cynic
05-26-2003, 5:35 PM
Shakespeare doesn't deserve Kindness. He did one original play, and how many others? You ever hear of him giving credit to the previous authors?
 The_One
05-26-2003, 6:37 PM
Originally posted by chris the cynic
Shakespeare doesn't deserve Kindness. He did one original play, and how many others? You ever hear of him giving credit to the previous authors?

I think you miss the point of Shakespeare. It wasn't about the stories...
Page: 1 of 2