Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Concussion Rifle

Page: 1 of 1
 chris the cynic
04-26-2003, 8:09 PM
I was wondering whether or not you guys had decided to go with the Jedi Knight way of doing it or the original Dark Forces. I remember some talk of it earlier. Also I wanted to point out, because there was some discussion on it, that as I remember it the conc in DF didn’t target multiple people. It fired in an arc, and the animation showed up on what had been damaged in the arc, but the actual “bolt” was a big invisible arc.
 EnforcerSG
04-27-2003, 2:52 AM
I don't know how much this makes sense, but...maybe modify the droid gun? The secondary fire made that bubble thing, if you could make it expand faster and with no visible bubble. Also if you could change the blue lightning that hits a person to a blue flame? I honestly don't know how doable that is (i really want to learn how to code games) but that is pretty much the only idea I would have to help.

Also, the model of the conc in the screenshots IMHO does not look like the original at all, but that is a minor point.
 recombinant
04-27-2003, 3:21 AM
Currently, the Tenloss Distruptor (a.k.a. the sniper gun) will be replaced by the concussion rifle.

I know that doesn't answer Chris' question, which answer would probably be the standard "we're gonna attempt to be as close to DF as possible" answer, though I'll defer to Darth_Linux on that one...

Hope this Helps!

:sbdance
 Emon
04-27-2003, 3:31 AM
The Concussion Rifle, I believe, is supposed to fire compressed bursts of air that create concussive force, hence the name Concussion Rifle. Besides throwing your enemies into nearby structures at extreme speeds, it would probably have the effect of bone crushes and muscle shredding as well.
 recombinant
04-27-2003, 3:33 AM
Originally posted by Emon
The Concussion Rifle, I believe, is supposed to fire compressed bursts of air that create concussive force, hence the name Concussion Rifle. Besides throwing your enemies into nearby structures at extreme speeds, it would probably have the effect of bone crushes and muscle shredding as well.

cool... thanks for the techincal data. :)

...I guess that's why it made that airy whooshing sound when firing.

Thanks, Emon!

:D
 Geoffrey S
04-27-2003, 7:36 AM
Originally posted by chris the cynic:
It fired in an arc, and the animation showed up on what had been damaged in the arc, but the actual “bolt” was a big invisible arc.

Wasn't that the BFG in Doom II? Could be right for the Concussion Rifle, too.
 The_One
04-27-2003, 8:06 AM
You ever seen Minority Report?

In the car factory scene there are these guns that fire this kind of pulse wave that knocks people back. No funky effects or anything, but you can see this shock wave and then the target gets thrown back a few metres.

I think something along those lines would be cool.
 Geoffrey S
04-27-2003, 8:42 AM
Like force push with nifty effects? Something along the lines of the Minority Report weapon sounds good. And it keeps the fun of pushing stormtroopers of cliffs. :)
 StormHammer
04-27-2003, 8:44 AM
I'm sure you mod devs will come up with something cool for the conc. I didn't mind the effects in either JK or DF. I wouldn't even mind if it looked something like the combo fire of the shockrifle from UT. Just go with what looks good, I say. I think you should keep the sound effects, though. It has a very distinctive sound when fired.

Are you going to have the alt fire for the conc. as well? It was kind of like a directional sonic shotgun blast at close range.
 Katarn07
04-27-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by StormHammer
going to have the alt fire for the conc. as well? It was kind of like a directional sonic shotgun blast at close range.

Although I was against the Bryar charge and the axe, I am all for this. It got quite nasty fighting off guys two inches from yourself...

However, you don't have to alter the ammo drained, because then people would keep using that once they got it and once they beat the game I would think...
 Emon
04-27-2003, 2:37 PM
Keep in mind that the
Concussion Rifle does more than push you, it also kills you by crushing your bones.
 The_One
04-27-2003, 3:37 PM
Originally posted by Emon
Keep in mind that the
Concussion Rifle does more than push you, it also kills you by crushing your bones.

Yeah it's pretty nasty. A satisfying "scream" should also be added :)

Haven't seen you around here for a while Emon, welcome back!
 Mullaney
04-27-2003, 6:13 PM
I was just wondering if it would be possible to import quake 3 animations or weapon efxs in to the JkII engine(Im pretty sure it can be done with models). If this is possible couldnt all of the stuff needed for the conc. be made in quake then transported.

Just a thought
 Emon
04-27-2003, 7:42 PM
Um, yes you could since JO does use the Q3TA engine but uh, it would be much easier to just make it in JO in the first place.
 Mullaney
04-27-2003, 9:02 PM
Well, the quake 3 engine has an sdk out. So. . . that would make it easier to build, right?
 recombinant
04-27-2003, 9:21 PM
The tools are readily available for doing the models, efxs, animations, etc. for creating new JK2 weapons.

The DF team is already in the process of creating alternate models for most of the weapons, and there's little point in creating them for Q3 and bringing them into JK2, really.
 Mullaney
04-27-2003, 10:03 PM
Oh, since the quake 3 sdk has been out for a long time I thought it would be easier to create the stuff needed on that then transport it to jo.
 recombinant
04-28-2003, 3:20 AM
Originally posted by Mullaney
Oh, since the quake 3 sdk has been out for a long time I thought it would be easier to create the stuff needed on that then transport it to jo.

No worries.... perfectly logical idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

StormHammer
04-29-2003, 7:48 AM
Originally posted by The_One
Yeah it's pretty nasty. A satisfying "scream" should also be added :)

Oooh...I definitely like that idea. :thumbsup:
 Solbe M'ko
05-06-2003, 3:15 AM
I like the idea of a new conc gun, but I'm concerned about its role in the game. If the developers alter some important parts of the game, but not others, game balance could be compromised. I hope this will be adressed before any really important changes take place.
-PS- Any comments on the impending Boba Fett showdown? I'm interested in what you folks have to say.

SPOILER EDIT
 chris the cynic
05-09-2003, 8:59 PM
Hey this is still going on, cool. All of this sounds good. The conc was like a crunch your bones version of force push which is in turn like a crunch your bones version of the minority report gun. So that means that everyone seems to agree pretty well about what it is we want.

And of course who could resist a satisfying scream, maybe even a bone crunching sound.

Just don't forget that it can get you too, if you shoot at something that's too close.
 Stormtrooper X
05-31-2003, 7:06 AM
Mazing! My fav weapon is (and always will be) the concussion rifle. The blue bolts are really something.
Make it like force push, but no force energy required, and doing tons of damage. And keep the secondary fire!
 The_One
05-31-2003, 8:59 AM
Also, rumour has it there will be a Conc in JA - maybe when that comes out we could have a look at their code and see how they pulled off the Conc...
 Fracman
05-31-2003, 10:10 AM
Or the JA people are waiting how we are going to do it ;)
 Dante_CL
05-31-2003, 12:14 PM
That sounds really good the concussion rifle
 The Count
05-31-2003, 4:18 PM
I heard you say something about Raven releasing the SP SDK, is there any news on that?
 Fracman
05-31-2003, 5:28 PM
Unfortunately, this is also a rumour until now.
There are no official news about it.
Our main coder even had some contact with Raven,
but there has been no decision yet from their side.
 recombinant
06-02-2003, 3:44 PM
The problem is that Raven doesn't make the call on it. LucasArts and Activision have to agree to release the SP SDK. I have corresponded with James Monroe of Raven, and he indicated that he was really going to try to push LA & Act. to release the SP SDK, which would be a great help to us.

However, for the time being, we will have to be content with working with the MP engine, which has its limitations, but we will try to work with it as best as we can.

Hope this helps...

:holosid:
 The Count
06-02-2003, 4:03 PM
Considering that JKII is by today's standards obselete and in the process of being replaced, LEC and Activistion don't have much to worry about.
 Jedigamer.5
06-04-2003, 5:39 PM
I played the Secret Base Demo and it was really good. The "stormtrooper Laser Rifle" has alot more stopping power than in JK2. Also, I have a Mac and the game worked fine if that helps. Keep up the good work.
 Jedigamer.5
06-04-2003, 5:39 PM
I played the Secret Base Demo and it was really good. The "stormtrooper Laser Rifle" has alot more stopping power than in JK2. Also, I have a Mac and the game worked fine if that helps. Keep up the good work.
 recombinant
06-04-2003, 6:02 PM
Originally posted by Count_D00ku
Considering that JKII is by today's standards obselete and in the process of being replaced, LEC and Activistion don't have much to worry about.

That's what one would expect, but the dynamics of company politics is really screwy. Hopefully they won't see releasing the SP SDK as a "threat."

Emon
06-09-2003, 11:38 PM
Well, the way I see it, the team has two or possible three options:

1. Try to use JO's SP and hope like hell an SDK comes out so the mod won't suck.

2. Recode the AI, scripting and everything for MP so the could have new weapons and some new, special NPCs. Deal with the horrid rendering engine of multiplayer.

3. Wait until JA comes out and port the mod. Possibilities here:

A. Raven tells us SP JA will be much easier to edit than JO, and will have a lot of new externalized data that we can edit.

B. However, the SP may not be enough yet. Raven has ICARUS II scripting for multiplayer in JA, no doubt for their Siege game mode. There's a slight possibility that AI is already in MP due to Siege or another game mode. If not, the prescene of ICARUS II should make it easier to port. If AI and ICARUS II exist in MP, and you can deal with any crap the MP rendering engine gives you (it should be more polished this time around), go with MP so that you have unlimited possibilities.
 recombinant
06-10-2003, 2:59 AM
or C:

Their promises are marketing crap, and the new SDKs will be just as hobbled as the tools for JO are.

Sorry.

I think I'm just feeling a little bitter at the moment...

;)
 michael_collins
06-10-2003, 11:22 AM
QUOTE]2. Recode the AI, scripting and everything for MP so the could have new weapons and some new, special NPCs. Deal with the horrid rendering engine of multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

What about all the poor sods who cant use JA because of the graphical leap? anybody know the minimum sysreqs yet?
 recombinant
06-10-2003, 1:38 PM
Probably not a whole lot different from JO since it's still a Q3-based game, but it will have more detailed graphics. I don't think specifics have been released yet.

Katarn07
06-10-2003, 8:26 PM
I feel you should not port the mod. Why? I am not getting JA for PC, because like Collins, our PCs may have trouble running it. I have enough difficulty with JO as it is...

I know you won't do that just for me, but I'm sure lots of others will be denied this mod as well...

Also, JA's SDKs will not be too much varied from JO's will they? They're not that different of games.... (of course, I have no clue about editing and SDK's meaning has slipped from my memory :rolleyes: )
 recombinant
06-10-2003, 8:38 PM
That is basically the unknown quantity, Katarn07. We really don't really know how much better/worse JA is going to be, or how much it would buy us to switch.

Our problem right now is that without a JO Single-Player Software Develompent Kit (SP SDK), it's very difficult to replicate the gameplay of DF, since the MP engine really was not designed to work the same way as the SP game. I'd guess that, from what i've seen of the Elite Force SP SDK, that under the hood the SP and MP games are basically two different games entirely, except that they share the same animation system (Ghoul2).

What's my preference?

My hope is that when JA is released, LucasArts will allow the release of the SP SDK for *JO,* not JA, and we can continue working with JK2, thus allowing you to play without upgrading to the new game.

But if they release tools for JA (and not JO) that allow us to do what we need to do with the mod, then we will have no choice but to move on to the new game.

neo262
06-10-2003, 10:04 PM
Well, I hope they make the JA SP SDK because I am planning to get Jedi Academy as I'm sure many of you are. The modders could create the MOD easier bcz JA has less boundaries, and it would be better. But that's just my opinion.
Check out my new avatar. Woohoo! :p
 recombinant
06-10-2003, 10:11 PM
Trust me. I'm going to JA as well, if the mod support is really what they say it's going to be. I'm just hoping that it's not all marketing hype.

However, I'd settle for a JO SP SDK over a JA MP SDK, since this mod is an SP game, and I think it's a little more likely that they'll release the SP SDK for the "old game."

But we shall see. If there's an SP SDK for JA, then I'm there!

ImmolatedYoda
06-10-2003, 11:54 PM
katarn....if your system can barely handle JO and you think JA will overpower your system....then you should think about either: upgrading, or turning down the graphics so that your screen is a bunch of blocks. if you have something worse than a 733mHz + GeForce2, then you should think of upgrading, id say. and yes, since JA is using the same engine as JO (enhanced Quake 3), then there shouldnt be much difference. wait...i just looked at my JO box and the CPU requirement is 350 mHz. so youre having difficulty running JO Katarn? well...::ahem::UPGRADE::ahem:: ;)
 Katarn07
06-11-2003, 12:09 AM
No duh. I'm not that stupid... :rolleyes:

But, :ahem: 16 (in less than 30 days) :ahem: no income :ahem: decided it best for a 180 dollar XBOX than a 500+ upgrade :ahem:

By the way, the graphics settings are all set to minimum. it runs, but not to its full potential and it does experience the occasional crashing...

Whatever guys. If you do port to JA, there is no way I could play it... :(

I'd say get some petitions to get the SP SDK, but those never work :mad:
 The Count
06-11-2003, 6:49 AM
There was a petition for the SP SDK, but it never came to worth, anyway I doubt what an SP SDK Petition would achieve anything, it's more likely Lucasarts would would say piss off we have your money, if you want to play another Jedi Knight game; wait for Jedi Academy which we can make alot of money off.

Although I don't have any experience of releasing Software Development Kits of any any kind, it would be logical to presume that they won't release it for JO, rather JA because although I can't see into the future if they release another Jedi Knight game I pressume it will be on a different engine, therefore it will create a whole new impact and gaming experience. So I think the fact that there was no release of the JO SP SDK was because LucasArts knew they were making a game on the same platform, and maybe did not wanted to be outdone by a good SP MOD, as JO and JA are on the same platform they are bound to have some similarities, therefore the release of an SP SDK for JO was bad business from LucasArts point of view.
 michael_collins
06-11-2003, 3:30 PM
And, what if the team ports the mod, and then finds the same problems about a SP SDK and THEN Raven releases one for JO? Thatd really make anybody cringe.
Page: 1 of 1