Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What About the Other DF Models?

Page: 1 of 1
 Mullaney
04-26-2003, 1:08 AM
I was wondering about the other DF models that I have not seen on the site yet. Has there been any progress on Mohc, Madine, or the Kell Dragon? How about star ships other than the Crow?

I know that there is a lot of work still to be done and I understand if you dont want to tell if its a surprise or something.
 Fracman
04-26-2003, 8:57 AM
Hehe you answered yourself your question ;)

Our primary focus is currently on building the maps and recreating the textures, modifiying the weapons and the most important ennemy characters. Some work already has been done on snowtroopers and Mohc.
We can't or won't show all the stuff we're doing because it's not finished or simply because it's not done yet.
And certainly we'll keep some surprises secret :p
 The_One
04-26-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Fracman
Hehe you answered yourself your question ;)

Our primary focus is currently on building the maps and recreating the textures, modifiying the weapons and the most important ennemy characters. Some work already has been done on snowtroopers and Mohc.
We can't or won't show all the stuff we're doing because it's not finished or simply because it's not done yet.
And certainly we'll keep some surprises secret :p

Well duh, it wouldn't be a surprise unless we kept it secret :p
 Mullaney
04-26-2003, 2:33 PM
ah Man! I feel like a newb.

Although, I now know that Mohc is being built.
 Katarn07
04-26-2003, 3:21 PM
Originally posted by Mullaney
[B]ah Man! I feel like a newb.[B]

You have four posts, you can get away with it. If I did that, then I would have to feel bad... lol

Well, I thought the DF and JK team were sharing the Kell Dragon. Which team is doing it?

Also, isn't Infinity going to do Madine? Or at least he said he would? If so, then we know it'll be as great as Kyle and Jan. :cool:
 Geoffrey S
04-26-2003, 4:20 PM
Are you guys doing the ships again, too? Things like the TIEs and shuttle? They just didn't look that good in JO to me. Textures just seemed too clean, and not particularly sharp.
 MilesTeg
04-26-2003, 4:59 PM
hm.. how many Ties and Shuttles appeared in DF ?
 The_One
04-26-2003, 5:47 PM
All models appearing in cutscenes have nothing to do with JO. Our cutscene guy has aquired high poly models of everything we need.

The only instances of ship models appearing in-game are the Crow, a Tie Fighter fly-in on the Executor level and an Imperial Shuttle at the end of the Arc Hammer level. There maybe a couple more, and we are bound to add some in the Nar Shaddaa, Space Port and Corsucant levels.

Don't worry, they will be good :D
 Katarn07
04-26-2003, 6:00 PM
I feel Imp shuttles should be seen more. I dunno why.

Like, on Fest, in a large open canyon, fill it in with a landing pad or something... Just a thought. ;)
 Infinity Blade
04-26-2003, 9:15 PM
As far as I am concerned, I have a tendency to work on multiple projects at once. Sometimes I need a break or diversion from a specific project, so I work on a different one.

Kyle, Jan, Madine, and other models I'm working on have followed that path. I work on Kyle, then switch to Jan for a little while. I get an idea for Madine, I do a little here or there. While I mostly focus on one at a time, this happens alot.

So.... While I know others set straight on one thing, I have a more scattered approach. And when that happens, there are alot of half finished details or things that just don't look right. Showing them off so soon just wouldn't be a good idea.

That, and we must keep our secrets after all.... heh :D
 reaper1576
04-26-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Katarn07
Well, I thought the DF and JK team were sharing the Kell Dragon. Which team is doing it?

Not sure i can talk to bloodriot about it he can knock the models out quicker that we can get them skinned but one of your guys said they was gonna make one The one or darth if you wanna talk to me about the kell give me a email or get me on icq
 recombinant
04-27-2003, 3:14 AM
ummm.... not to be a nay-sayer and a bringer of bad news, but isn't the Kell dragon basically impossible to do in JK2 MP since we don't have any other models other than _humanoid.gla?

Seems like a pretty big roadblock to me.

That is, unless Wudan, Razorace, Ask, et al. can actually get new animations (and skeletons) going in the MP engine.
 Geoffrey S
04-27-2003, 7:24 AM
Wasn't there this thing the AotC TC guys had got from Raven for animations? But you're right, it could cause some problems. Didn't someone a while back make a spider model which was weighted in some strange way? It was somewhere in the modelling forum.
Originally posted by The_One:
The only instances of ship models appearing in-game are the Crow, a Tie Fighter fly-in on the Executor level and an Imperial Shuttle at the end of the Arc Hammer level.
Yeah, those are the ones I meant. Glad to hear that there're be some more cool ships about. It'd certainly add atmosphere.
 The_One
04-27-2003, 8:14 AM
As far as I know new animations are now possible. While you were in hibernation, Evan, the AOTC TC guys managed to get some support from Raven on this matter.

Best thing to do is ask Corto - he is the God of JKII animations :p He did say to me a Dianoga would be possible because of this new support - so I can only assume a Kell Dragon would be possible too :)

Here's - from what I know - the current status of our main character modellers:

Infinity Blade:

Kyle - priority
Jan - secondary
Madine - on the back-burner

Corto:

Phase 1 - updating and being re-skinned
Mohc - in progress
Phase 2 - starting soon
Phase 3 - starting after Phase 2
Dianoga - some point in the not too distant future

Salv:

Waiting for a new computer
Working on the SnowTrooper
 recombinant
04-27-2003, 12:14 PM
...actually that information is not entirely correct.

According to my understanding of the situation, AOTCTC's Anakin did get help from James Monroe, but the effort was basically unsuccessful.

I correspond on an almost daily basis with one of the AOTCTC programmers (Wudan) who is actually spearheading the effort to create a utility to MANUALLY parse the .GLA files, so that we might be able to insert new animations into them.

So there is hope, but we're basically still in the same situation we were in two months ago. However, I'm fairly confident that Wudan, Razorace, and Ask will come up with something useful in this regard.
 The_One
04-27-2003, 1:32 PM
OK my bad :p

*Blames Corto*
 Mullaney
04-27-2003, 6:29 PM
Hold on. . . I thought AOTC:TC was done since they would rather use the JA engine because it would suit them better.
 reaper1576
04-28-2003, 7:20 AM
From what i know they droped the JO engine for the JA Anakin's just come back to the DF2E Team last week. Where just carrying on as normal then when the time comes if JA is better for us we go JA vice versa
 recombinant
04-28-2003, 3:40 PM
That's a very balanced attitude regarding the adoption of JA, and one that I share - I think The_One and I are on the same page on this issue too.
 The_One
04-28-2003, 4:32 PM
It all comes down to convenience at the end of the day ;)
 Wudan
04-28-2003, 4:44 PM
Re: New animations

Any .XSI provided by raven has been Garbage thusfar. The new animation tool is coming along well, but it won't be limited to XSI weilding people.
 The_One
04-28-2003, 4:50 PM
Ah well, I guess that is a bit of a bitch :S
 recombinant
04-28-2003, 5:10 PM
See? I told ya Wudan knew what he was talkin' about!!!

:D
 Wudan
04-28-2003, 6:39 PM
Wha - good news - new anims for anything you can make a GLA for - that's what I thought was good ... isn't that good?
 reaper1576
04-28-2003, 7:01 PM
only think i can see is if JA is on scedule Fall this year will anyone be playing JO anymore thats one of the factors that will be part of all of our desisions
 recombinant
04-28-2003, 7:20 PM
Originally posted by wudan
Wha - good news - new anims for anything you can make a GLA for - that's what I thought was good ... isn't that good?

Yes. It is good!!!! Woo Hoo!:D

My comments earlier may have been misinterpreted as saying that new animations will not ever be possible, which is not what I was saying.

My understanding is that you've still got a fair amount of work ahead of you before we have a tool for editing .GLA files directly (which is the ultimate goal, if I understand your intentions for GlaNeo correctly), which would be an awesome tool for modelers and animators, but it's going to be a while before we get to that point, correct?

Additionally, there was a misconception that AOTC:TC had all the stuff necessary for creating new animations, and that we were gonna have 'em, like, oh, next week or so... :rolleyes:

And everyone was getting all worked up around here talking about Kell Dragons and Dianogas and the like.

I was just trying to bring a bit of a reality check, in that short term we wouldn't be able to create those new skeletons and animations, but at some point we probably will, given the excellent research and development you've been doing so far on this issue.

Naturally, DF would love to be able to have the new creature models!!!
 reaper1576
04-28-2003, 7:48 PM
yeap well said JediStone when we can make new animations and skeletons it will make all of our lifes easyer as we have the same problem the dam kell Dragon to name one (ok the big one :D )

Ok dumb question time i just map dont understand modeling very much or codeing would it be possible some how say for the kell dragon make t so that it would use the arms as legs ? so it would use all fours
 Infinity Blade
04-28-2003, 8:50 PM
Well, the animation data alters a skeletal system in the player/npc model, and we "bind" the model's parts to the skeleton.

If we could add an animation, one that would move the arms and legs in a fashion that would work for all fours, then certainly we could go that route.

Otherwise it'd look like Godzilla running around... :D
 recombinant
04-28-2003, 9:12 PM
would it be possible some how say for the kell dragon make t so that it would use the arms as legs ? so it would use all fours

Let me see if I understand this right...

Are you asking if it's possible to use the _humanoid model in alternate ways (like on all fours, as you suggested) instead of creating a new skeleton?

I think Corto has an answer for you, but I believe the answer is "sort of."

IIRC, Corto said he was able to create some forms of monsters based on existing _humanoid skeletons (but perhaps he used the cave crustacean skeletons from SP - I don't exactly recall that detail)...

At any rate, for now, you would only have the ability to use pre-existing animations, however. To my knowledge, I don't think crawling is one of them, but it very well could be.

So to sum up, the problem is that for the time being we're limited in the JK2MP to using the _humanoid skeleton and animation, but it may be possible for modelers to get really creative and use it in new, inventive ways that kinda do what you suggest.

Then it's up to the programmers to rewrite the bot AI, or in our case, the NPC AI.

Hope this helps!

:sbdance
 recombinant
04-28-2003, 9:38 PM
Originally posted by infinity_blade
Otherwise it'd look like Godzilla running around... :D

I think the Jabba model is kinda like that... a humanoid skeleton surrounded by Jabba blobbishness. ;)

Unfortunately, the Jabba model still wants to hold a blaster or a lightsaber. No way around that (for the time being), therefore no monster-like animations.

:(
 jp-30
05-12-2003, 12:24 AM
Regarding the animation for Kell Dragons..

Firstly I'm not sure what MP has to do with this. Surely it's only SP you need be concerned with?

At any rate the RPG mod has managed to get non-humanoid NPCs into MP with their SP animations (eg the droids & mine monster).

See more here;

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99244)

So, I had a look at the Minemonster in Modview, and while it's only got 3 legs, I reckon that an interpretation of a Kell Dragon could be convincingly modelled on the existing Minemonster skeleton and use the same Minemonster animations.

The front legs and the head and mouth are all great, and the two back legs of the Kell could be weighted to the one back leg of the Mineminster, creating back legs that "bound" as the front ones "gallop".

Course you'd also need to scale up the skeleton to kell size, but jedimod has shown scaling can occur on humanoid skeletons OK.

So is that a viable alternative, or is there some major flaw I've not thought through?

:confused:

I know it's not a perfect solution, given the way the Kell looked and moved in the original DF, but it would be a good enough compromise. Or a good enough stopgap until a better alternative is found.
 HapSlash
05-12-2003, 2:07 PM
Who knows,...

It may actually be possible to pull off something acceptable with the existing animations, but I don't think anyone has really tried
to do it. But, until someone actually does, it's all mere speculation.
 recombinant
05-12-2003, 3:14 PM
Originally posted by jp-30
Firstly I'm not sure what MP has to do with this. Surely it's only SP you need be concerned with?

OK... one more time for emphasis! ;)

The demo runs with JK2SP.

The final version will be running under JK2MP since that is the only system we currently have code for.

That is, unless Raven/LucasArts/Activision releases an SP SDK, which is possible, but we're not holding our breath on it.

So that is why we're concerned over the issue of only being able to use the _humanoid skeleton.

Hope that helped.

(Man! This should be in the FAQ, if it isn't already...)
 The_One
05-12-2003, 3:40 PM
Look at the thread at the very top of the forum Evan ;)
 recombinant
05-12-2003, 3:47 PM
So, since you are the fans who ask the questions, what would you like to see in the FAQ?

So this would then qualify for the updated FAQ.

Excellent. Add it to your list, then.
 jp-30
05-12-2003, 5:41 PM
So that is why we're concerned over the issue of only being able to use the _humanoid skeleton.

Ahh. OK.

But that concern must be fading now, seeing the RPG Mod appears to have solved the problem of non humanoid NPCs in MP...

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99244)
Page: 1 of 1