Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

"City Street" - My first map, be kind...

Page: 1 of 1
 dekerd
02-21-2003, 6:32 AM
Hey guys, this is my first map and I've been working on it for quite a while now. Still have a lot of work to do. Not everything is permanent, like the background, that's just for my own sanity really, hehe.

Anyway, it's a modern city street. It features buildings (many of which include interior environments and multiple floors), dumpsters to hide in, dark alleyways, many custom textures (as you can imagine), and FUN FUN FUN! Here are some photos, let me know what you think. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

EDIT: Sorry, bandwidth problem with the pics, find them here...

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=115780)
 lassev
02-21-2003, 8:29 AM
Quite nice. Your map has a lot of potential.
 Kengo
02-21-2003, 7:49 PM
I think it's really hard to do modern day environments, less room for creative lisence. Looking really good, great detail, maybe the lighting needs some work in places, but allround looking very good. Can't think of many good maps of this setting for JK2 either.
 Hekx
02-21-2003, 11:49 PM
I don't see any screenies, could you post the links?

It sounds like an interesting map. :)
I still await someone to make a realistic 'Coruscant Undercity' map. :D
 Hekx
02-22-2003, 3:21 PM
Okay, Image's are fixed now. Thanks. :)

Picture 1: Looks very good, maybe some more graffeti on the walls? Empire hatred, Imperial signs, etc.

Picture 2: Excellent lighting. :) The behind the bar could do with some appliances and things.

Picture 3: Good start. Maybe add some more buildings (but be wary of the overall map's frame-rate) and try to give some buildings a more worn aging effect.

Hope this helps.
Release a BETA first, so the finished map will be extremelly popular. :)
 dekerd
02-22-2003, 7:41 PM
Oh, I'm not very close to being finished just yet. I'll definitely release a beta though, just to test the waters. I've still got two more buildings to add. After that, I'll work to get the lighting just right, then I'll add extra things like graffitti, and effects lighting, and more models, etc.

Thanks I appreciate the suggestions.
 Hekx
02-22-2003, 9:02 PM
Sign me up for the BETA. :)

Just for the final thing: Some glowing signs like ones seen on the Coruscant Promenade map would look great for the backstreet alley feel. Smoke effects also look great. If you get some good sound effects for certain parts on the map, I think it will help make it more enjoyable and 'interactive' for players.

Is this map meant to be based on any planet in particular? It would look great as Courscant.
 Yun the Sith
02-22-2003, 9:45 PM
Looks good. I'll agree, it's going to be tough to do modern day stuff, but you've got a lot of potiential with your map.
 dekerd
02-23-2003, 5:21 PM
Originally posted by Hиkx Nтxъ
Is this map meant to be based on any planet in particular? It would look great as Courscant.

Actually I was just thinking of it as a modern city street, never thought of the planet. Yeah Coruscant would be cool, but I don't think it will look anywhere near as high tech.

I really want to work at getting it to be as gritty as possible. I want it to look semi-rundown. The road maybe too new looking.

I definitely let you know about a beta.
 dekerd
02-27-2003, 11:27 PM
Here's a few new photos, I'm getting a little slow down when the cinema is in the background, because of all the seats. Any general tips to avoid slowdown?

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=115780)

Maybe we should make that a stuck thread, "Ways to avoid slowdown," in the General Editing Forum
 Hekx
03-05-2003, 3:09 PM
From what I've heard, using teleports to different areas on the map increase frame-rate. It's useful for interiors of rooms.

I'm not a mapper, so don't quote me on that. ;)
 Business_Eskimo
03-14-2003, 4:15 PM
Good job, im anxoius to see the final version of this map. Nice work, especiall for a first time mapper!
 DarkLord60
03-16-2003, 3:43 AM
Nice for your first map! I wish I could map.
 .:Solusar:.
04-07-2003, 3:53 AM
Dang thats pretty good considering its your first map and all.. Do you know how to make your own textures yet?.. Sorry i don't i dont map, heh.. That has a lot of good screenshots.. Keep up the good work. I can't wait till your map comes out.:D
 Eldritch
04-07-2003, 9:35 AM
Cyber, try posting your comments in the newer thread Dekard made for this map, rather than reviving the old one...
 .:Solusar:.
04-08-2003, 2:50 AM
Originally posted by Eldritch
Cyber, try posting your comments in the newer thread Dekard made for this map, rather than reviving the old one...

Wow ive seen that you have changed your name and made it to a diffferent glowy color, and you have added one of those attachments mesa thinks. Looks good. Eldritch
Page: 1 of 1