Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

RPG Commenor

Page: 3 of 5
 Wes Marrakesh
02-20-2003, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the warning not to spend 20 + minutes getting that program :D
 Shadriss
02-20-2003, 11:32 PM
Well, I got it working. In addition to downgrading, I also got rid of a target_speaker and replaced two lights that Aru apparently MEANT to be spotlights, but didn't have targets. *shrug* Only two minor glitches in the map, as he sent it. Great job. (The second minor glitch was inside the reactor, Aru - one of the power flows is going the wrong way! :) )

The screenshots are up, ,as well as Aru's brief notes on the area. Enjoy the shots - this area was VERY well done... Makes me want Hogwart's even more (shameless plug fora friend alert!)
 Ronin_Medjai
02-21-2003, 4:21 AM
you people in my opinion :mad: ........... OWN! lol /me thinks ur the greatest and cant wait for your l337 map to be released I check ur rammaping.moonfruit site daily and me and my RPG club are eagerly awaiting the release havent checked the library shots yet but im hoping for a part where a book is puleld ad a secret revolving door thing happens hehe secret passage.....speaking of which we need secret areas like Xia 2 had some more secret areas (even tho the lighting and texturing hurt my eyes still awaiting mandarias update on that to see if he fixed it) /me also cant wait for CODEs rpg mod
 Shadriss
02-21-2003, 6:00 AM
You;'re gonna be slightly disappointed, Medjai. The library (and the other areas too, for that matter, are exactly as shown. No secret areas. And, at least for now, I dont see any being added either. To be honest, I've never seen the point of it. If it were an SP level, then sure. But not an MP level... the focus here is on the actual RP, not on "how can I get through here, and how many secret areas can I find?" And that's just the logical side.

From the mapper side, it is a right royal pain. As detailed as these areas are, the compile is going to take a long while (the power center, by itself, takes about 15 mins, and the others are a wee bit less) so adding in secret areas would not only lengthen the final compile by that much more, but it would also add more time to the actual construction of the map. And, being who we are (perfectionists! ARGH!) we'd have to make those "secret" areas make sence and look good. Which means a LOT of time that, really, we shouldn't have to use up.

There are a few other reasons why I dont plan to put any in (the func_brush limit comes to mind) but those suffice for now.

Thanks for the input, though. Suggestions are always welcome, unfortunately this one was talked about early on by myself and the other mappers, and this was an area we all pretty much agreed on.
 Eldritch
02-21-2003, 8:36 AM
Originally posted by Shadriss
Well, I got it working. In addition to downgrading, I also got rid of a target_speaker and replaced two lights that Aru apparently MEANT to be spotlights, but didn't have targets. *shrug* Only two minor glitches in the map, as he sent it. Great job. (The second minor glitch was inside the reactor, Aru - one of the power flows is going the wrong way! :) )

:eek: Well, can't be perfect, can I? As for the power flow misdirection - I KNEW I forgot to change something before I sent it. That was it, apparently. ;)

The screenshots are up, ,as well as Aru's brief notes on the area. Enjoy the shots - this area was VERY well done... Makes me want Hogwart's even more (shameless plug fora friend alert!)
Thanks for the shameless plug. :D Glad you like the area.

From the mapper side, it is a right royal pain. As detailed as these areas are, the compile is going to take a long while (the power center, by itself, takes about 15 mins, and the others are a wee bit less) so adding in secret areas would not only lengthen the final compile by that much more, but it would also add more time to the actual construction of the map.
:eyeraise: 15 minutes for the power center? Which compile option are you using? Only took like 2 minutes on mine, but you may be using some super-duper ultra good looking final compile option. BTW, I like the shots you took of the Power Center for the site. :D
 wedge2211
02-21-2003, 9:38 AM
Woo! Very nice area, Aru...Why not release a duel_CommenorReactor? I'm definately going to have to download this despite not being an RPG player. Keep it up!

PS, I'd love to see you guys work on some SP maps. Deception looked really promising. And hey, two/three/five minds are better than one, right?
 Shadriss
02-21-2003, 1:25 PM
I'm almost hurt, Wedge! Downloading it just to see the reactor... that could hurt a man's feelings! :)

I used a couple of option on the compile, Aru, but the one I suspect made it so long is the "patchshadows" option. As there are a GREAT number of curves in the main area, it would have had a LOT more lighting to figure out. *shrug* Best idea I have. I did it with the best BSP I had... I do that for all the sections so that we can see what it will really look like in game... and to give me an idea of overall compile time.
 Pnut_Man
02-21-2003, 5:13 PM
The screenshots are awesome! I keep on telling myself that i'll always want to roleplay here!

Btw, I wondering if the "lights out" idea is still being considered. IT would be so sweet to knock out the power ;) Nice ole simple acts of harmless terrorism...
 Shadriss
02-21-2003, 6:04 PM
I dont have a straight answer for you right now, Pnut. It's there in the back of our heads, but until we get the whole map put together, I just cant answer that. I like the idea myself, but there is one MAJOR thing I have to think about if I do it...

Do you realize how many LIGHTS I'd have to hook up to that ONE switch???

And, now that Ithink about it, there is one other problem... that would make every light inthe map dynamic - and, as it stands right now, Q3Map2 doesnt compile dynamic lights correctly. And there's no WAY I'm gonna compile this thing with SOFMAP2.

So, if support is added, I'll consider it... but I'm not thinking, at this point, ,that it's likely.
 Eldritch
02-21-2003, 7:42 PM
Originally posted by wedge2211
Woo! Very nice area, Aru...Why not release a duel_CommenorReactor? I'm definately going to have to download this despite not being an RPG player. Keep it up!

PS, I'd love to see you guys work on some SP maps. Deception looked really promising. And hey, two/three/five minds are better than one, right?
If I was to release it, I'd ask Shad first (it's his project, after all - I'm just helping). I'd also want to expand it just a tiny bit. There's not much room to duel right now.

I'd like to work on some SP maps as well, but SP maps are on the bottom of my to-do list, what with Hogwarts and Commenor (and another project which I have not released any details on as of yet) on the front burners. When Hogwarts is done then I'll consider new projects.

I used a couple of option on the compile, Aru, but the one I suspect made it so long is the "patchshadows" option. As there are a GREAT number of curves in the main area, it would have had a LOT more lighting to figure out. *shrug* Best idea I have. I did it with the best BSP I had... I do that for all the sections so that we can see what it will really look like in game... and to give me an idea of overall compile time.
Yeah, the patchshadows is probably what caused it. You know how it is with me and those curves - I just can't resist. ;)
Good idea, running it with the best compile.

I had an idea about the "lights out" idea that doesn't involve dynamic lights. What about using func_usables with an on/off type setup to kill all the neon signs and light emitting shaders?

Well, ALL of them would be too much work, but you could do a few of the more noticeable ones. You could also link it to some kind of "power failure" type noise. Just a thought.
 Leslie Judge
02-22-2003, 5:26 AM
Hmm...

You know guys I'm curious. Do you know how to make dynamic lighting in MP? I made a test map, compiled with sof2map, and it works fine in SP, but no start_off, no turning on/off, no light styles in MP...

My only idea is to make dynamic lights with effects. I haven't tried yet, but it has to work. What's good, is that they doesn't increase compile time, what's bad is many of them will probably decrese FPS.
 Shadriss
02-22-2003, 10:07 AM
DYnamic lights DO work in MP... I've seen them used. However, they DONT work with q3map2 compiles... and I REFUSE to use SOFmap2 on this... aside from the injustice it would do the map, it would also take quite a bit longer.
 wedge2211
02-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Good call, Shadriss.
 Shadriss
02-24-2003, 5:58 AM
Just a quick note on progress...

The port is about 95% alid out and a good portion of it is textured. Hopefully (if the mood is upon me) I'll get it all wrapped up and finished in the next couple of days.

Just to let you all know - it's been a slow couple of days. But the work continues...
 Shadriss
02-25-2003, 7:07 PM
Wow. Not many posts from ANYONE recently... I hope this isnt an indication of slackening interest...

THe Port is fully laid out and textured. Lighting is about done, and, barring unforeseen problems, will be done tonight. Screenshots and such will, as always, be up as soon as they are ready.

Aru-Wen - What's the word on the Museum?
 Pnut_Man
02-25-2003, 8:39 PM
I've been looking forward to the spaceport for a long time, i'm interested in how you're gonna pull it off ;)
 Eldritch
02-25-2003, 8:39 PM
Aru-Wen - What's the word on the Museum?

Wednesday is my major mapping day, and I hope to get a sizeable chunk of it done tomorrow. All the new textures (and paintings) are set to go, so that won't hold anything up. Should have a couple preliminary shots tomorrow.
 Shadriss
02-25-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Pnut_Master
I've been looking forward to the spaceport for a long time, i'm interested in how you're gonna pull it off ;)

Wonder no longer, Pnut - screenies are up, and the Port is done. Enjoy!

As for you Aru, got ya, and good mapping! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you've pulled otgether.

Trying to decide which area to do next, the Temple or the Nightclub...
 Eldritch
02-25-2003, 10:43 PM
Spaceport looks good! Kudos to Wes and Shad for some nice looking work. I especially like the lobby and the floor pattern in the hallway. :)

BTW Shad - if we hit the func brush limit, it'll be because of you - my two func brushes won't break the bank. ;)

I'd like to see the Nightclub done next, so long as it does not include a disco floor/ball, as has been seen in some other maps. *shudders*
 Shadriss
02-25-2003, 10:51 PM
Actually, I'm having second thoughts about including either of those two areas.

THe nightclub, would, in essence, be a second bar. What would be the point? All it would add to your basic bar is a dance floor, which would just be a big open area. So why bother?

THe Temple is a bit more straightforward... exceept that we haveno idea what religeon, if any, they have in the SW universe. Yes, the Jedi have been referred to in that fashion, but, given the maps location and time frame (Commenor, a Core World, shortly after the fall of the Empire) Having A Jedi Temple would make no logical sence.

ANy ideas here?
 Eldritch
02-26-2003, 12:14 AM
Perhaps just make it into some kind of meditation chamber? Just a place to kick back and relax - fountains, marble, comfy chairs, that type of thing.
 Pnut_Man
02-26-2003, 7:04 AM
EXCELLENT job with the spaceport! Everything came out like I had envisioned :D Throw a couple of switches in that place that do stuff and the whole thing will come alive :)
 Shadriss
02-26-2003, 9:25 PM
Switches tha do something eh?
Hmmmm.
Well... there are a few that make platforms operate... does that count? I tried to thing of something to do there, but nothing came up that seemed like a good idea.

Still no idea which area I'm gonna work next... Maybe inspiration is on vacation...
 Eldritch
02-26-2003, 9:56 PM
Behold the dark and mysterious museum with hardly any light! Repent, all ye sinners, thy end is near!

Ok, seriously, the picture is dark, but it's really only there to give an idea on the architecture. Better pics tomorrow, if you're lucky! ;)

http://jedi_kotp.tripod.com/museum01.txt)
 wedge2211
02-26-2003, 11:42 PM
Funny how the Museum architects on Commenor are familiar with Roman styles...

[/devil's advocate]
 Eldritch
02-26-2003, 11:57 PM
It's actually Greek. The Romans just stole it. And besides, it's an old elegant art museum, and has an equally old elegant style. :D
 Shadriss
03-01-2003, 9:59 AM
Elegance is elegance, Wedge. WHo's to say that, in a Galaxy Far Far Away, there is not a close congruity of ancient architectural styles? There would almost have to be, no? And some areas lend themselves to particualar types more than others.

In other map news, Fuzzy has turned over the General Store to me, and I'll be getting it polished and finished in the next couple of days... (Assuming I dont spend ALL my time playing MOO3 now that it's finally out...) Also, in case I forgot to mention it earlier, the nightclub and temple both have been scrapped, meaning that the only two internal areas left are the General Store and the the Museum.

Good thing I have an idea of how I want to make the 'street' areas. Some people may be upset that I wont be doing full exterior that they can jump on, but an open air map is going to absolutely murder framerate. So, it's going to be mostly closed in. SOme bits of sky are going to be visible most everywhere, but you wont be able to jump on buildings for a view of the skyline.

So tough! :)
 Pnut_Man
03-01-2003, 12:13 PM
Give Commenor a "midnight mood", that's the reason City of Xia did so well...
 Wes Marrakesh
03-01-2003, 12:25 PM
Nice looking architecture there, Aru.

Actually, the midnight feel is probably Xia's only saving grace (a small one at that)

lol:D
 Shadriss
03-01-2003, 3:50 PM
If we want that night feel, I'll need either a new skybox for it, or I'll have to use one of the base skyboxes... and only the "stars" or the "space" one could even come close to that.

S/C/C? (Suggestions/Comments/Complaints)
 Shadriss
03-01-2003, 8:25 PM
Busted out the General Store today... all that now remains before piecing it all together is the Museum... BUT NO RUSH ARU-WEN! :)
 Eldritch
03-01-2003, 8:38 PM
Really putting the pressure on, aren't you Shad? ;)
Well, here's a little news update. The main area is finished. The only thing left to do is each of the 2 wings of the museum. Once I've done one wing, I can just mirror it and change the paintings - one side is "old" art, with the Sistine Chapel ceiling (which looks good in-game, I must say) and the other wing is dedicated to more modern and futuristic looking art. I should finish up tonight if I'm lucky, and then begin finalizing things like lighting and textures.

Oh, if you want a nighttime skybox, I've got a few that I tested out with Hogwarts that might do the trick. Don't use the 'stars' one though, I really hate that one.

BTW, for those who care, I did the review for City of Xia II : Xia Reloaded over at Planet IRG (http://www.planetirg.net), and I have to say that it didn't receive very high marks. This was due mostly to the lighting, which was almost at the fullbright level (the opposite of the first Xia map, if I'm correct).
 Shadriss
03-01-2003, 8:58 PM
Originally posted by Aru-Wen
Really putting the pressure on, aren't you Shad? ;)

Would I do THAT? :)

Originally posted by Aru-Wen
Well, here's a little news update. The main area is finished. The only thing left to do is each of the 2 wings of the museum. Once I've done one wing, I can just mirror it and change the paintings - one side is "old" art, with the Sistine Chapel ceiling (which looks good in-game, I must say) and the other wing is dedicated to more modern and futuristic looking art. I should finish up tonight if I'm lucky, and then begin finalizing things like lighting and textures.

Oh, if you want a nighttime skybox, I've got a few that I tested out with Hogwarts that might do the trick. Don't use the 'stars' one though, I really hate that one.

Send them over - I'm on MSN right now, Aru.
 Eldritch
03-01-2003, 11:20 PM
Missed you on MSN, Shad. Should I send the skyboxes to the email address you use for MSN? Or should I wait until I see you to send them?

Anyway, here's some shots of the unfinished "old art" wing. Let me know what you think. The lighting isn't finalized, obviously. ;)

http://jedi_kotp.tripod.com/museum02.txt)
http://jedi_kotp.tripod.com/museum03.txt)
 Wes Marrakesh
03-02-2003, 12:02 AM
Did you put my pic in, Aru? :D

I could get more, too...
 Blue_Lightsaber
03-02-2003, 3:13 PM
Shadriss are the Streets the part that connects everything?

Just curious
 Eldritch
03-02-2003, 9:03 PM
*pretends to be Shadriss*

The streets connect everything.

*stops pretending*
 Shadriss
03-02-2003, 9:06 PM
Originally posted by Blue_Lightsaber
Shadriss are the Streets the part that connects everything?

Actually, the streets dont connect a blessed thing. THey are there purely for show. I would never demean my players by making them WALK between the locations, oh NO. They have to focus and use the 90% of thier brain they dont normally use and TELEPORT themselves around!

:vadar: Somebody shoot him... I'm too tired to Force Choke him.
:bdroid2: *BANG BANG*

Aru, I'm on MSN NOW! NOW I TELL YOU!
 Blue_Lightsaber
03-02-2003, 10:05 PM
Boy do I want this map to come out :)

I LOVE RPG MAPS
 Shadriss
03-04-2003, 7:01 AM
Now we hit the longest wait of the map.

Aside from waiting on the Museum (Aru assures me it'll be ready on Wednesday) We are now gearing up to piecec it all together... and that will take some time. Aside from the monster complile times I am about to amass, There are a few technical sides I have to insure get straightened out.

After a small discussion with Fuzzy, we have decided against an Open Beta for this map. Instead, once it's done, we'll be releasing it to RA only for a week or so, then ironing out the bugs from there.

After all - They are who this map was designed for. :)

In addition to the RPG version of this map, I'm also planning a seperate FFA version. They will be released at the same time.

I have made a couple of changes to the maps, however :

A) The skybox on the port has changed to a night skyshader, courtesy of Aru-Wen. (THanks again...)
B) I took out those uber-ugly chairs and sofas in the Hotel area, replaceed them with better looking curvey ones, and changed the texture on them to something a tad bit darker.

No screenshots for either of these, as the rest of the level hasn't really changed. ANd it's a pain to handle replacement screenshots.

I'll be starting construction of the streets tommorrow latest, and I will get the conceptual designs up for viewing by Thursday, I hope.
 Eldritch
03-04-2003, 2:21 PM
[Monster Truck Rally Announcer voice]
Wednesday! WEDNESDAY! WEDNESDAY! The Museum of Fine arts should be ready! READY! READY!
[/Monster Truck Rally Announcer voice]

Ok, you get the idea. :p

Couple things. First, i'm glad to see that you're using the skybox, Shad. This way I contribute more than just 2 small sections :D.

Second, even though there's no OPEN beta, do *I* get sent a copy of the map during RA testing week? I'd like to remind you at this juncture that I worked on it as well. ;)
Can't wait to see the finished product myself.
 wedge2211
03-04-2003, 3:17 PM
In addition to the RPG version of this map, I'm also planning a seperate FFA version. They will be released at the same time.

Will the layouts be any differnet, or will the only differences be bot routing/powerup placement/spawn points?
 Shadriss
03-04-2003, 6:49 PM
Originally posted by wedge2211
Will the layouts be any differnet, or will the only differences be bot routing/powerup placement/spawn points?

The map iteself will not change. Just the item locations. For an RPG, it makes sence to have to go to once place to buy weapons. For an FFA, that would make for a "One man holding the Fort" situation. Ugly, but essentially dumb.

ANd Yes, ARu, You WILL get a copy of the Beta... I thought that went without saying...
 Eldritch
03-04-2003, 9:23 PM
ANd Yes, ARu, You WILL get a copy of the Beta... I thought that went without saying...

I was just joking around, Shad. Thought that was apparent after my Monster Truck voice, but it's so difficult to convey tone of voice with only text. :D
 Shadriss
03-05-2003, 8:40 PM
Tonight, while waiting on Aru-Wen to finish the Museum, I made the exterior signs for the map. THey are now up and displayed on the page, each in it's designated area. Enjoy! :)
 Eldritch
03-05-2003, 9:10 PM
Due to circumstances beyond my control (namely, a truckload of schoolwork) I am unable to finish the museum tonight. I will hopefully wrap it up tomorrow, barring any abnormalities in my schedule.

The signs look good, BTW.
 Shadriss
03-06-2003, 10:45 PM
Well, the Museum was further delayed tonight. He sent me a unfinished version, and one item leaped to mind on it right off. It was about three times the scale of the rest of the map. Aru-Wen blames it on a night of heavy drinking. I'd buy that! :)

So, he's still working. However, I have begun the streets, and have completed a good deal of them. The Clinic, Bar,and Arena are all connected. No texturing on the streets yet, as I plan to take care of that once it's ALL connected.

I'll tell you guys one thing though... this place is HUGE. A lot bigger than I thought it was going to be. Compile times are gonna fly through the roof... at least it'll be worth it!

More updates as they come up. :)
 Shadriss
03-08-2003, 6:15 PM
I find myself growing concerned...

I've put in everything but the General Store, Port, and the as-yet unfinished Museum. And the brush count has skyrocketed up to just over 9700 brushes. I dont KNOW of any upper limit to a brush count, but that doesnt mean that there isn't one. As I recall, Dad*Mad's revolutionary "SNow" map used upwards of 15 grand, but I'm not certain of that.

In the event that this project is, indeed, a trifle too large for the engine, I'm asking all you loyal followers of this thread to make suggestions for which area/areas will, IF NEED BE, be removed from the map.

THis is not to say I PLAN to remove area... but I want my bases covered. This map is by far the largest I've done... So I'm not sure how it's going to pan out.

Just a heads up, fellas. PLEASE post on this issue... I dont want to be yelled at later for unilateral action! :)

Edit : Unused sections, should there be any, will be released seperately as possible duel maps. If the are supports it, of course.
 Pnut_Man
03-08-2003, 6:22 PM
If it ever happens that the (piece of crap) jk2 engine can't handle the full extent of the map, then I propose we ditch The Clinic.

No hard feelings toward that section of the map...heh...
 Shadriss
03-08-2003, 7:28 PM
Well, I've taken the map as far as I can for now... I eagerly await the Museum... both for screenshots of it and so I can piece it in to the rest of the map. I took a screenshot of the map as it is right now and put it on the site.

My own preferances for area elimination would be, in order:

The Library (trully pointless... and, really, it isn't THAT good! :) )
The Museum (Sorry Aru, but that section, no matter HOW good, is pure eye candy.)
And, if we're REALLY strapped, I'll ditch the Clinic or the Hotel. (Both are high-brush areas)
Page: 3 of 5