Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Fists

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth_Linux
12-01-2002, 1:30 PM
in case any one was wondering, the Fists in the demo are straight out of JO, so whatever you think of them, that's what they are in the regular game. Technically fists are a cheat, and are not supposed to be there except when you have the light goggles on (like in the dark room of the Lady Luck level) so they really weren't meant to do anything.

I don't know if they actually inflict damage or not either - when I hit a stormie, they didn't seem to do much to him.

The swing sound will be fixed for the final version - The One thought the whoosh sound was corny so I caved in and put the punch sound back in all the time against my better judgement - 8^P on you Rich!

jk, yer an OK chap!
 Katarn07
12-01-2002, 2:37 PM
Oh yeah, they do damage. It only takes about 20 punches to down a guy... :D

The only usefulness they actually did serve in the game was to kill, well those Kell Dragons . Even if you ran out of ammo, its better to retrace your steps to the beginning, collecting whatever goods you can.
 Geoffrey S
12-02-2002, 10:30 AM
They actually do as much damage in DF as a regular blaster.
What I'd suggest is to make the fists bigger for the final release. Looked rather small here.
 Emon
12-02-2002, 7:47 PM
1. Yeah, they do do damage, but it takes like ten hits to take someone down.

2. One suggestion. In weapons.dat, try replacing the saber entry with fists. It might make the fists workable with weapnext and weapprev command.

3. For the part with the

Kell dragons

An easy way around the problem of the fists doing so little damage would be to just give those Kell dragons very low health.
 ImmolatedYoda
12-02-2002, 8:10 PM
but then people cheat..and take them out quickly...:p
 Katarn07
12-02-2002, 8:40 PM
Even with an assault cannon, it sure took a while to keep them at bay! There are about ten of them with HARD settings! That's why I'm smart. EASY, then MED, then HARD with cheats (god mode only)! :D
 Emon
12-03-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by ImmolatedYoda
but then people cheat..and take them out quickly...:p

Cheating doesn't count...
 recombinant
01-21-2003, 5:46 PM
Originally posted by Darth_Linux
the Fists in the demo are straight out of JO

Are the fists available in MP?
 Perfect Chaos
01-21-2003, 8:50 PM
Actually, fists do MORE damage than the pistol or the blaster rifle. But it is still not a very good idea to use it unless you have to. Also, in the original DF, if you punched a storm trooper while facing straight in the air it would kill him in one hit - and knock him 100 feet in the air. It is hilarious ;)
 Katarn07
01-21-2003, 9:05 PM
Originally posted by Perfect Chaos
Actually, fists do MORE damage than the pistol or the blaster rifle. But it is still not a very good idea to use it unless you have to. Also, in the original DF, if you punched a storm trooper while facing straight in the air it would kill him in one hit - and knock him 100 feet in the air. It is hilarious ;)

Yeah, I've done that. But there is a funnier glitch with Gammoreans. You can stand a few paces away from them and do damge and do the same thing. I accidently did it on Ergo. Lots of ammo wasted there trying to move that thing in the main part of the station for weeks.
 recombinant
01-22-2003, 12:41 PM
Technically fists are a cheat

Not to sound redundant...

...but are they available as a cheat in the Multi-Player game?

I didn't think they were, but perhaps someone here knows a workaround... ;)
 The Count
01-22-2003, 1:35 PM
Actually the fists were very useful for also destroying the Diagonas, those bastards level 3 took me the longest to complete.
 Katarn07
01-22-2003, 3:58 PM
Originally posted by Count_D00ku
Actually the fists were very useful for also destroying the Diagonas, those bastards level 3 took me the longest to complete.

The puzzle was the hard part. That's saying something. I always got gun happy with the critters and I too had to rely on fists.
 reaper1576
01-22-2003, 5:07 PM
Diagonas realy p*** me off and there level i keep getting lost
 recombinant
01-27-2003, 6:49 PM
Looks like here's what we're ending up with (unless we decide to change it ;) ):

Lightsaber will be disabled for the game unless cheats are enabled. Presently, if cheats are disabled, right now you get the stun baton.

Now, of course, we really want fists instead of the stun baton (just wouldn't be DF without them), so I'd like to use the fist models and animation from the SP game and substitute them for the Stun Baton in our engine.

Hope I'm not giving too much away here...

:D
 ImmolatedYoda
01-31-2003, 10:15 PM
but will the lightsaber replace the fists?
 Darth_Linux
01-31-2003, 10:38 PM
most likely . . .
 Katarn07
02-01-2003, 11:09 AM
most likely . . .

It does in the demo... To bad you can't have saber and fists instead of saber and stun baton...
 The_One
02-01-2003, 3:35 PM
Originally posted by Katarn07
It does in the demo... To bad you can't have saber and fists instead of saber and stun baton...

Maybe we can? JediStone - possible?
 recombinant
02-01-2003, 8:05 PM
Originally posted by The_One
Maybe we can? JediStone - possible?

Off the top of my head, I can't see why not. It will take some tweaking of the weapon selection logic, but it should be doable.

Right now, the saber would replace the fists, since it currently replaces the stun baton when cheats are enabled. It might be cool to have it behave like the detonator/charge/tripmine selection in JO, so you could select between fists & saber with the same selection key.

Any feedback on that idea?
 Katarn07
02-01-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by JediStone
Off the top of my head, I can't see why not. It will take some tweaking of the weapon selection logic, but it should be doable.

Right now, the saber would replace the fists, since it currently replaces the stun baton when cheats are enabled. It might be cool to have it behave like the detonator/charge/tripmine selection in JO, so you could select between fists & saber with the same selection key.

Any feedback on that idea?

That sounds cool. Well, I would like to cheat a third time as a Jedi and play Jabba's ship with fists until I get my gear, then I'd like the saber...
 Pnut_Man
02-02-2003, 8:59 PM
So basically, the only way to access the "Fists" are to code them into a mod? I'd really like to use fists in multiplayer as a weapon..
 recombinant
02-03-2003, 3:41 AM
Originally posted by JediStone
Off the top of my head, I can't see why not. It will take some tweaking of the weapon selection logic, but it should be doable... It might be cool to have it behave like the detonator/charge/tripmine selection in JO, so you could select between fists & saber with the same selection key.

I've been working on this and it's looking like it's going to work just fine. Now everyone's happy! (yeah, right...)

recombinant
02-03-2003, 1:10 PM
Done.

I finished late last night and it's working great.

Cheats Enabled: Toggle between Saber and Baton (Fists)
Cheats Disabled: Baton (Fists) Only.
 recombinant
02-07-2003, 8:16 PM
Thought y'all might like to see where I'm at with this...

I got the third person animation working this morning, and the way I've got it set up now is that anytime you select the fists, it switches to third-person (camera) view.

Here are some screenies:

http://64.224.160.19/jk2images/shot0002.jpg)

http://64.224.160.19/jk2images/shot0004.jpg)

http://64.224.160.19/jk2images/shot0005.jpg)

The next step is to get the first person animation working (and I think we may have a solution/workaround for that)...

Katarn07
02-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Nice, Stone.

Arm is a bit blocky though. Can you do anything about that? Still neat... :D
 recombinant
02-08-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Katarn07
Nice, Stone.

Arm is a bit blocky though. Can you do anything about that? Still neat... :D

Thanks! Unfortunately it's all tied into the animation and modeling, so if our modelers can alter it, that would be awesome. But I don't know, honestly. Perhaps Corto or someone can comment on that?

The animation was there all the time. It was just a matter of invoking it, and as it turns out, the possibility of alternating left and right punches is becoming more of a reality, courtesy of an IRC conversation I had with razorace and wudan this afternoon. So I'll try to work on it more this weekend.

First person animation is still another story, however...
 MilesTeg
02-08-2003, 6:46 AM
@Jedistone: Iґm not sure, but are you using a low model detail setting ?
 Katarn07
02-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by MilesTeg

The fact that Kyle's other arm appears that way in the first screeine and the level detail isn't really good indicates this. I hope it is and on higher settings, it gets more round.

Cortos does great work. Please don't unveil the Dianoga along with the other 2 DTs... It'll be great to be going through the sewers, knowing they're there, and then we are unveiled a terrifying surprise when we really don't want one...
 recombinant
02-08-2003, 1:55 PM
Originally posted by MilesTeg

Probably... in fact, yes - I just checked my settings and the geometric detail was set to Low, and when i cranked it up to High it all looked just fine.

My concern rigt now is functionality, not eye candy. I've been recreating my build folder so often that I really haven't been too concerned with the video settings and so forth. ;)

...and speaking of functionality, I got the random fist swinging working last night. There's a little problem with the animation on the left swing, however (it stops when he gets deepest into the swing), and I have to devise a way to get him to return to his original stance after swinging the left arm (this quirk can be viewed in ModView by playing the BOTH_MELEE1 animation).

But at least I got it working...

Page: 1 of 1