Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Yarael Poof

Page: 1 of 4
 Psyk0Sith
10-27-2002, 1:46 PM
I started making a few meshes for JK2 and thought Poof would make a cool addition to the characters.

*Use copy paste to see the screenshots*

No lights:
http://www.geocities.com/psykopat.geo/poof.jpg)

Lights and shadow
http://www.geocities.com/psykopat.geo/poof2.jpg)

Now i have a problem...since he's got longer arms and hands (and no i'm not making 4 arms) than a human being, the mesh gets distorted when the fingers move (taunts and force powers).

No problems with the neck.

It's not weighted or uvw mapped yet, since i want people to give some feedback before i start messing around with it.

Also looking for skinners and voice/audio talent.
 Eldritch
10-27-2002, 1:53 PM
Looks to be a great start. He looks too wide, though.
 Kururin
10-27-2002, 1:55 PM
Great job face the face looks just like it.
 -s/<itzo-
10-27-2002, 2:50 PM
can't wait for this one. and jedi_anakin is right the body is too wide. slim him down a bit.
 SupremePain
10-27-2002, 3:36 PM
yes i agree slim it down a lil they are very slim in da movie

btw: what program do u use for modelling?;)
 Hellfire Jedi
10-27-2002, 3:52 PM
are these those cloners from the movie....Looks nice btw
Did u make ki adi?
 Mex
10-27-2002, 4:00 PM
This looks finished already!! (Exept it is a little too fat, like nearly everyone else said :)) And he did make Ki-Adi-Mundi
 Psyk0Sith
10-27-2002, 4:07 PM
i thought people would have said he is too slim! :) i got the impression he was larger because of his puffy robe.

The bottom of the robe needs to be wider to follow the skeleton, but i'll slim down the torso.

SupremePain: i'm usimg 3D studio max 4.2

btw there will be no facial anims, cuz it would screw up really bad.

edit:Yep i did Ki Adi, Grafox made the original skins

Hellfire: Poof is a Quermian, member of the Jedi council not a Kaminoan (or cloners like u said) i believe he wasnt in AOTC.
 Hellfire Jedi
10-27-2002, 4:22 PM
thanks for the info m8 great job on ki adi love the your motha taunt :D good luck with this it looks nice
 Padawan_7
10-27-2002, 6:37 PM
Wow, that looks awesome Psyk0Sith! :D

Please don't slim Poof down too much. :( I kind of like him the way he is.

If you watch Ep1 carefully, even though Poof is sitting down, you can see that his body is indeed quite a bit wider than one would normally expect. ;)
 GreenDevil
10-27-2002, 7:43 PM
Hey there Psyk0Sith!!!

Long time no see bud!

Glad to see your still in the game... and haven't lost that touch of yours it seems :) That looks great bud, keep it up!

Poof has never looked so good!! :)
 t3rr0r
10-27-2002, 7:55 PM
Originally posted by Padawan_7
If you watch Ep1 carefully, even though Poof is sitting down, you can see that his body is indeed quite a bit wider than one would normally expect. ;)
it's just because of his arms underneath.
 Padawan_7
10-27-2002, 9:45 PM
Originally posted by t3rr0r

it's just because of his arms underneath.

I just took a look at Poof's pics in the Insider's Guide, and yeah your right about that t3rr0r. Sorry. :p

So slimmer it is!:D
 Kit Fisto
10-28-2002, 1:19 AM
wow, that looks very nice. I agree with the others, slim it down slightly and maybe make the neck a tad longer. If somebody could make custom animations for this that would rock, i think he would move alot like a stick insect.
 seks03
10-28-2002, 6:54 AM
great start man, gotta agree with everyone else, slim him down a bit and his feet look a little to big, oh by the way if this model works out good which it seems like it will, you should do a cloner skin, that would rock, oh and im gonna put your model on my site.

awsome job !!!
 Enjoi9187
10-28-2002, 7:09 AM
http://starwars.com/databank/character/yaraelpoof/index_eu.html)

his body is pretty wide, just not fat.

BTW does anyone get tempted to just slice right through that long skinny head of his if you were a jedi? >:) :eek:
 Professor Snape
10-28-2002, 8:42 AM
sry to be off topic but seks actually put his site in his sig and didn't spam it. Looks like he is learning
 Psynex
10-28-2002, 11:20 AM
actually, after seeing that star wars database pic of him, Psych0sith has it damn near perfect. One thing that might balance it out is taking a couple more screenshots ad different angles. It looks to me like his shoulders should be widened EVER SO SLIGHTLY (but that could be the camera angle). The robes could use some enhancing. The section that sits on top of the robes and arcs down over his chest (what the hell is that thing called anyway?) starts to flatten itself back out parallel with the ground plane instead of following the contour of the shoulder line all the way out. Same kind of deal with the robes. If you notice the way it forms a point at the ends of both shoulders? I notice the section where the neck starts to fan out into the shoulders could be dropped down just a bit as well. It will make his neck look a bit longer. The neck looks shorter when compared to the reference pic. That cone shape comes together not too far from the colar.
These were just a few of the tiny details I noticed that were different in the comparison from the model renders to the reference pic.
 Psyk0Sith
10-28-2002, 7:43 PM
thanx for the comments...

Psynex: i agree there are some things a bit off about the robe and his "neck pad" :)

I notice now the shoulders are in fact wider than the pad (the pad itself is also bigger than the current one, and flattens instead of following the shoulders)

the neck should also be smaller at the bottom.

also, like enjoi9187 said: his body is pretty wide, just not fat.

seks03: I made the feet smaller than the pic where he's sitting down...about the "cloner" skin, id rather start a new character from scratch (and i dont have time for that right now), but someone will probably do a skin for that anyway.

i'll go back to work now...

P.S.:Wassup GreenDevil?!? :D bet u cant wait for Plo Koon to be released (like most people!)
 t3rr0r
10-28-2002, 7:49 PM
Originally posted by Psyk0Sith
also, like enjoi9187 said: his body is pretty wide, just not fat.

that said, you might want to add some ripples or folds in the robe.
 GreenDevil
10-28-2002, 8:33 PM
Heheh... you bet I am Psyc0Sith!!!

Though, I wish you would have stuck with your model... it at least made progress :)
 Zathu Koon
10-28-2002, 9:58 PM
Hehe, I'm not sure how that'd work with _humanoid.gla.

How distorted does it get?
 inbredyokel
10-28-2002, 10:30 PM
Very impressive. I recall a few people a while ago saying poof couldn't be done, but it looks like you're doing it. Awsome job!

Btw, his robe does look to be in need of a few folds (see: plo koon model).
 Psyk0Sith
10-28-2002, 10:32 PM
Hehe, I'm not sure how that'd work with _humanoid.gla.

The neck will work fine, i already did some tests with another model.

The hands are not in the right position so i know they will distort, the easiest solution would be to weight the fingers and hand as one mesh instead of using all the "finger bones".

I'm assuming fingers won't move for the taunts or force powers...i dont mind this but some people might not like it.

about ripples and folds, i'll leave that to the skinner...or maybe i'll add some, but it'll cost a lot more polys, i'm already @ 3000+ polys.

I'll post an update later this week.
 nomad
10-29-2002, 2:00 AM
Very nice to see you working on this PsykoSith!
I actually tried messing around with a Yareal Poof mesh a while ago (It was my first modelling attempt) and it can definitely be done.
Toonces and I actually did a tiny amount of experimenting with how it might animate on the root skeleton and it worked pretty well without even adjusting the weighting at all.
A few tweaks with the weighting and it should be able to deform quite well.

As far as critiquing goes... I think that the neck is a bit too short, you've already talked about shaping the "neck pad" more accurately and I thought i'd add that it actually rounds out in the back (as opposed to the point in the front).
I just re-sized your screens to the same scale as some ref pics that I have, and I think that the body could just be scaled down a tad to match his head and neck (or increase the head and neck scale) Heh you still may need to extend that neck a little without widening it too much though.
One more thing. You may want to include a scale-mod size suggestion in the readme. I have a great pic, and I would gladly send you all my ref pics (just email ygmypay@yahoo.com) of a crew member behind the scenes adjusting something with Yareal. You can see that even while Poof is sitting down, he looks to be about 7 feet high. I know when I was messing around with making him I scaled him very very tall and it really made it seem right. :D
Also, I might enjoy making sounds for this Jedi. He is one of my favorites and I think I could create a sound pack that would do him justice.
I'm not around here too much these days, but I could definitely manage the time for this.

-nomad

May the force be with you.

paulthomasband.i8.com
 Jahs
10-29-2002, 8:27 AM

i believe he wasnt in AOTC.

He died between EP 1 and EP2

Looking great. Im looking forward to be in Poof's robes :D
 Kururin
10-29-2002, 9:02 AM
Originally posted by Jahs

He died between EP 1 and EP2

Looking great. Im looking forward to be in Poof's robes :D

He died before Ep 2 cause Coleman Trebor took his place in the Jedi Council.
 Psyk0Sith
10-30-2002, 9:06 PM
Small update:

*copy paste this link* (renegade mods is down :(, i hate geocities!)

a 360 degrees render:
http://www.geocities.com/psykopat.geo/poof.zip)

--->You need to rename the file to .mpg<---

-Adjusted neck pad/wider shoulders
-Neck is smaller at the bottom
-Robe is a bit slimmer
-Added small ripples on the sleeves to give a better cloth feel.

A few things still need to be tweaked, but i think its heading the right way...
 seks03
10-31-2002, 5:19 AM
hey pskykosith,
i turned your 3d render into a flash movie with play and stop controls on it. and the size is now 104kb instead of 476kb so its easy to download, you can have it or use this link to display it

http://www.icpdas-usa.com/test/files/center/request/poof/poof.html)

keep up the good work.

P.S. how do you guys know he died? I believe you but just curiuos.
 Wolf Devil
10-31-2002, 7:28 AM
Originally posted by Theron Qu'ud

He died before Ep 2 cause Coleman Trebor took his place in the Jedi Council.

I think that does classifys as BETWEEN TPM and AOTC

The skin is very good, however he should be more skiny and the neck should be longer

P.S. how do you guys know he died? I believe you but just curiuos

Go to www.starwars.com) and look up Coleman Trebor, it'll say somewhere that he replaced Yarael when he died
 Psyk0Sith
10-31-2002, 7:54 AM
Thank you seks03, tho i cant see it for some reason??

Wolf: it's not skinned yet, ill probably ask mars or grafox.

i think he got stabbed in his 2nd brain (stomach) in the comic book series.
 fat_101
10-31-2002, 8:19 AM
WOW seks03 are u doing that to all models or just this one :)
and this model looks great but is his height gonna be different?

FATTEH
 t3rr0r
10-31-2002, 8:29 AM
Originally posted by fat_101
and this model looks great but is his height gonna be different?
definately with jedimod and the like, after all he is 2.64m tall. :eek:
 seks03
10-31-2002, 9:11 AM
no problem Psyk0Sith, you need the new flash mx player, get it here.

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&P5_Language=English)

and to Wolf Devil thanks for the info.

to fat_101, i'll definatily do this for all the models, its just that Psyk0Sith is the only one that has made a video possible.

but to all modelers if you want me to do a flash render just contact me at my site and send the file.
 Wolf Devil
10-31-2002, 9:55 AM
Wolf: it's not skinned yet, ill probably ask mars or grafox.

Sorry, meant model.

and to Wolf Devil thanks for the info

Your welcome
 JediQuermian
11-04-2002, 6:18 PM
OMG! I can't believe it! I have been waiting for this model so long and it is finally in the works of being made. Happy day!
 fat_101
11-04-2002, 7:07 PM
tnx for clearing that up :) wow hes gonna be tall just need jediplus on my server now :P

FATTEH
 keo718
11-04-2002, 9:25 PM
Psyk0Sith, question. I know this is off topic but did you ever fix the hair animation problem with your Ki Adi Mundi model?
 Psyk0Sith
11-04-2002, 10:49 PM
keo: i did some tweaks on it, and its barely moving now. Also added facial anims to see how its done, maybe LODs will be added. Kinda busy working on Poof and other stuff.

Small update: I'll uvw map Poof and find someone to skin it, while i weight and link all the cr*p together.
 Jahs
11-05-2002, 1:34 PM
He didn't die because of COleman Trebor!
General Khorda killed him in the Zam wessel series.
 JediQuermian
11-05-2002, 2:20 PM
I never go by EU...so maybe Yarael is really not dead. He could have just taken a break from the council.
 t3rr0r
11-05-2002, 4:12 PM
Originally posted by Jahs
He didn't die because of COleman Trebor!
no one said he died because of coleman trebor. they said when poof died, coleman trebor took his place.
 Kranckor
11-06-2002, 12:34 AM
Jahs is English your first language?
 Psyk0Sith
11-09-2002, 12:09 AM
Sorry for not updating, uvw mapping is almost done.

Still looking for a skinner...anyone interested? cuz marz wont answer my mails and pm. :(

i need a skinner!

thanx
 DapperDanMan
11-09-2002, 6:38 PM
wow! that is one cool lookin model. can't wait for it. good work.
:drop2:
 Eldritch
11-11-2002, 1:16 AM

Still looking for a skinner...anyone interested? cuz marz wont answer my mails and pm. :(

i need a skinner!

thanx

Hmm... I know Marz is around and posting, because i've seen him in other threads. Perhaps post a short message to Marz in Toonces' Episode 1 Obi thread - I know he checks it.
 Psyk0Sith
11-11-2002, 4:32 PM
good idea!

thanx!
 Hellfire Jedi
11-13-2002, 9:05 PM
BUMP!
 NeoMarz1
11-14-2002, 12:45 AM

i need a skinner!

thanx

Yeah, I want to skin him. Dont look to hard... You probably got my old E-mail. Heres the new one... neomarz1@sbcglobal.net

I got you last E-mail. If you got a glm/texture maps ready just send it my way, and I'll start skinning. Mars out! Hey, send me some screens of the model too! Mars out!
 Psyk0Sith
11-14-2002, 1:21 AM
hehe yeah i was using the other e-mail, and got no progress since win2k crashed this week, had to work with a temporary win98.

Work should resume at the end of the week. Thanx marz!

Hellfire: Sorry if i didnt reply, but your pm box is full!...so yes you are still a beta tester.
Page: 1 of 4