Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Sebulba model

Page: 1 of 4
 Duncan_10158
10-20-2002, 2:06 PM
I am working on a Sebulba model, known from episode I. i finished the meshes and now i am working on giving him for the dug race typical movement. its al lot of experimentation, but i get closer and closer.

Some pics of the model are on this link:
http://io.meskinaw.net/sebulba-proj.php)

As soon i get ready with the weigthing and UV the meshes, i hope i get some help for the skinning or sounds. if somebody would like to make the skin, let me know.

And i am happy about every suggestion.
 El Sitherino
10-20-2002, 2:09 PM
nice work. oh just to know what program is that that you are using.
 Kururin
10-20-2002, 2:10 PM
Can't wait. its going to work great in game. :D
 Matt-Liell
10-20-2002, 2:19 PM
i could maybe help with the skinning if its skinmapped! probably couldnt do it myself though, id need some help for something this complicated!
 Professor Snape
10-20-2002, 3:02 PM
dude tehre is gonna be no way to have him on four legs. ur just gonna have to make him standing up

edit: but i do think it's gonna be awesome ne way. Soon watto and sebulba. We need a slave ani now
 Madjai
10-20-2002, 3:25 PM
whoa i wouldnt call that mesh finished just yet, you can improve on a lot of things.

like his body should be much bigger and then resized with mods, his head is especially small compaired to his body.
 Histys-History
10-20-2002, 3:42 PM
:) I think that his head needs to be a bit , a little little little bit smaller :)
 inbredyokel
10-20-2002, 3:47 PM
Yeah, the model would look soooo much better if you enlarged the head by about 40% and made the torso a little fuller. The arms(the things he's standing on) could also be more accurate, and right now all the limbs look a little too...stick-like. Try to show some muscules beneath his skin.
Otherwise, it looks like a great start and a great concept, but I wouldn't say it's by any means finished. With a lot of work this could become one of the best models out there.
 PalnGipanji
10-20-2002, 3:59 PM
This model is not going to animate properly with arms as the means of locomotion. You can try it, but I promise you it won't work, just because it has to fit to Raven's skeleton. You'll get strange motion and distortions throughout the entire body. This is partly Raven's fault for not allowing editable/custom skeletons per model.

I also agree with the suggestions that he is to stick-like or tubular... but I also don't think it's necessary to define detailed muscle patterns. This can be done in texture... but there should be cuts so that the arms don't look static and... tubular. Anyway, good luck! I always thought it would be cool to have Sebulba, but after considering the skeleton structure, I just can't imagine how it would look like him in motion.
 Matt-Liell
10-20-2002, 4:55 PM
as long as he lined up the feet and arms according to the skeleton it should work! but hed need the skeleton!
 Duncan_10158
10-20-2002, 5:56 PM
I am working on the weighting, what is importent for a correct animation. i made this model, just to fit in the original skeleton and the movements. i needed to make him a bit different then the real Sebulba, as you see at his feets (hands used as feets). there is some slite clipping, but i hope i can reduce it.

I gone make his arms (both the arms-arms and the leg-arms) a bit more musclelike, and i already larged up his head and body.

Its funny, when i talk about arms and legs cause i never can realy explain what i mean. lets define it by usage, what he uses as leg, is a leg, ok?
 PalnGipanji
10-20-2002, 5:59 PM
I realize the importance of weighting.. I'm just saying that it's going to be very difficult to weight it properly given the Raven skeleton. But again, good luck!
 Duncan_10158
10-21-2002, 4:08 AM
I finished weighting the verts and it movements looks quiet ok, not perfect but ok. I resized the body parts as it was mentiond.
Now going to skinmap the body and make it ready for skinning.

Soon i gone show some in game pics.
 Deetox187
10-21-2002, 6:22 AM
Cool i was hoping you would do another model, Sebulba looks great so far. I can provide sounds for him if you'd like. :)
 Duncan_10158
10-21-2002, 9:29 AM
I hoped you would do the sounds, Deetox. i already wrote you an email, i hope you received it.
 Deetox187
10-21-2002, 10:57 AM
Ahh actually i missed it, i ditched that email cause it was overrun with spam.

i'll send you my new addy soon, along with the sounds. :c3po:
 Duncan_10158
10-22-2002, 11:25 AM
Deetox sent me the sound files and they are absoultly perfect! so the sound is done, if there isnt a intergalactical genius how tops that, what i realy dont believe.

An other question i have is about the bot support. does somebodey know a dug personaly, what weapons or forces do they like or use? Do they use lightsaber? lets discuss that.
 Mex
10-22-2002, 12:10 PM
Theyre low-down, and dirty so expect them to use guns and stun batons...
 Padawan_7
10-22-2002, 1:34 PM
I would imagine that a Dug would use mostly blaster pistols, trip mines, and det. packs because of their small size. I can't really imagine a Dug with force powers and a lightsaber.

Please post more pics when you get a chance Duncan!

P.S. Duncan you really like taking on challenges don't you!:D
First the Gamorrean Guard, then the Hutt, and now Sebulba. WOW!!!:D
 Mex
10-22-2002, 2:59 PM
Seems Duncan likes Aliens, :D I wonder what hes going to do next! Because all of Duncans models are, supuib! *Italian like*
 Matt-Liell
10-23-2002, 6:02 PM
any new pics for us?
 Deetox187
10-23-2002, 11:04 PM
You want pics? i got pics. :D

Duncan sent me an early version of Sebulba and i must say i'm very impressed, he moves a heck of a lot better than i thought was possible. The only problems are his shoulders get slightly squished when running sideways (barely noticeable) and you can see the elbows (leg joints?) clip through the back legs (arms) when he runs. (no worse than the Vader model and his cape)

Here are the screens, keep in mind this is an early beta with no skin so he looks like a checker board right now. ;)

http://www.geocities.com/deetox1900/sebulba1.txt)
http://www.geocities.com/deetox1900/sebulba2.txt)
http://www.geocities.com/deetox1900/sebulba3.txt)
http://www.geocities.com/deetox1900/sebulba4.txt)
http://www.geocities.com/deetox1900/sebulba5.txt)
http://www.geocities.com/deetox1900/sebulba6.txt)
http://www.geocities.com/deetox1900/sebulba7.txt)
 Eldritch
10-23-2002, 11:47 PM
Right now he looks a bit like a pretzel, but perhaps it will be easier to tell his arms and legs apart when he's skinned...
 Padawan_7
10-24-2002, 12:34 AM
Duncan,

One thing I would suggest is to make Sebulba's head and neck much larger. I think this would help compensate for the elongation that you had to do to his body so that it could fit over the JKII skeleton. I’m not totally sure, but from the pics I would say that his head and neck needs to be about twice as large as they are now. But, that's just my opinion, of course. ;)
 inbredyokel
10-24-2002, 2:00 AM
Wow, that looks amazingly good. My only beef is the feet(the things he walks on) look a little odd. I think you could make them closer to sebulba's actual feet without any skeletal incompatibilities. Right now they seem too rounded and unatural, like he's trying very hard to stand on tip-toes.

Btw, did you have any plans yet for skinning? I probably shouldn't be offering to (because having untouched uvmaps on my computer very easily tempts me away from homework), but I'll gladly skin it for you. If you want to see some of my work, you can check the Jerec thread (there's also a link there to a corran horn skin I haven't released yet), and the skins for the Maw model. If someone already has dibs on the default skin, I could do blue or red ctf instead.

Edit: After looking at some reference pics, his head still does look quite a bit too small. Keep in mind that most people will use some sort of resizing mod to get him down to the correct size, so don't be afraid to make him look a little gigantic.
 Matt-Liell
10-24-2002, 7:43 AM
That looks great! I knew it would work in game! It's hard to tell which parts are which roght now but I'm sure it will look better when skinned! Keep up the great work Duncan!
 Deetox187
10-24-2002, 8:08 AM
I think it would be great if inbredyokel did a skin, i've seen his work and its very nice. I also would like to see Duncan try to photoskin it like he did with his other models.. he's pretty good at that.
 Leonheart
10-24-2002, 3:23 PM
His shoulders look a bit wide, the character in the movie was relativly skinny compared to the model.

but it looks good very nice job
 Bob Gnarly
10-24-2002, 4:24 PM
good luck on sebulba, i love your other models
 Duncan_10158
10-24-2002, 7:17 PM
Some of you wrote i should make the head larger, and your were right. it realy looks better. sometimes its difficult to make a step back from the own work to see it clearly. so thank for your feed back and keep it on. i know i should post more pics for that, but i get to deep into the work and forget the pics when i am modeling, sorry. thanks to Deetox you have at least some new pics.

inbredyokel, it would be realy cool if skin the sebulba model. i saw your jerec skin and its realy great work. if you sent me an email, i could sent you the model with skinmaps, when i got it ready.

i am also thinking of making the sebulba model with the helmet he wears on the race as secound skin or CTF skin. it would be an invisible skin over the model, that could be activated.

with the weapons a normal dug uses, i agree with Padawan_7, blasters and thermodets are nice. but a small dug with a lightsaber is also somehow funy. AND by the size judge dont do!

and i realy like aliens and challenges, but most challenging aliens..... or alien challenges? hmmmm... it depends on the slime.
 Padawan_7
10-24-2002, 7:39 PM
I'm glad I could help you out a little, Duncan.

Playing with Sebulba is gonna be so cool! And I can't wait to see him skinned!
 Halo09
10-24-2002, 11:27 PM
great job so far.
 Padawan_7
10-27-2002, 11:31 PM
Duncan, is inbredyokel going to do the skins for Sebulba?
 AnaKin_SkYwalKr
10-28-2002, 11:15 AM
It seems to me that his legs (aka "arms") seem a little too small. It might just be because he isn't skinned yet, but I'm just trying to offer some help.
 inbredyokel
10-29-2002, 2:08 PM
I've sent duncan an email, so hopefully he'll get those UV maps out to me soon. I can't wait to start skinning this puppy(er dug).
 Duncan_10158
10-30-2002, 4:38 AM
inbredyokel, i hadnt receive an email from you. something musst have gone wrong.

i finished the skinmap and fix a lot of things that were mentioned here.

Now i got inbredyokels mail and i sent him the model.
 inbredyokel
10-30-2002, 3:01 PM
I used the lucasforums email form, so its no wonder that it didn't make it. I just emailed you from my school address, so you can send everything there.
 inbredyokel
10-31-2002, 1:11 AM
Just got the model from Duncan, and let me tell you it is very, very nice :) I'll probably get started on skinning tomorrow (after I take my bio exam :(), but first I have a minor request. I need reference pics! I shouldn't have much of a problem capturing sebulbas face or other prominent parts, but I badly need pictures of parts like his back, belly, and clothing.
I'll post some pics probably tomorrow, depending on how quickly I can finish up Jerec.
 seks03
10-31-2002, 5:35 AM
 t3rr0r
10-31-2002, 8:37 AM
i was wondering... duncan, have you put fake second joints in his arms? also, have you bulked up his arms and legs? last time i looked they looked less muscular than they should.
 Duncan_10158
10-31-2002, 8:02 PM
inbredyokel, i hope you get that bio exam. good luck!
and for the reference pics, all i used were from SW databank that seks03 already mentioned, dug and sebulba.

t3rr0r, i dont know what you mean with "fake second joints", i have just constructed the model over the raven skeleton, what needed some change of proportion of the typical dug body. but it somehow fits it, as i think.
and i also sized up is arms and shoulders compared to the first pics shown here.
 t3rr0r
10-31-2002, 8:17 PM
Originally posted by Duncan_10158
t3rr0r, i dont know what you mean with "fake second joints"
i'm just talking about his arms (his smaller legs)... that joint after his elbow, and before his wrist... just for show. /\/І (little 2 is his hand)
 inbredyokel
11-01-2002, 7:20 PM
I've got a VERY early shot of the head skin:
http://www.geocities.com/inbredyokel2000/seb1.txt)

I've come to realize that this is going to be an incredibly difficult skin to do right. I want to be as detailed as possible, so all those little spots and wrinkles are going to take a lot of time. Fortunately, it's a fun skin to work on.
More updates soon...
 Kranckor
11-02-2002, 1:05 AM
Ma lorda!
The skin looks great!
Bargon u noa a-uyat

Oh, and achuta, my pee kasa Kranckor A.K.A Tobar.
 Duncan_10158
11-02-2002, 6:15 AM
inbredyokel, the head looks fantastic, not only for a VERY early shot. :dug:

Originally posted by t3rr0r

i'm just talking about his arms (his smaller legs)... that joint after his elbow, and before his wrist... just for show. /\/І (little 2 is his hand)

t3rr0r, if you talk about the legs he is using as arms, then the nummber of joints is correct in the model. he has two joints between his hips and his hands. take a look at my reference pic below.

on the arms using as legs i needed to make a bit of a change. on the pic below you can see his walking an his hole hand. that wasnt possible for the raven skeleton, because i needed a joint like a knee between his hips and his hands. so i dicided to let Sebulba walk like a cat on his fingerparts and make tha part between fingers and wrist much longer. now his using the wrist as knee and his elbow is behind his hips.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/species/dug/index_eu.html)

i needed to make that confess to the skeleton, or i dident see a better way around. to make this twist in arms and legs is a real challenge and we will never fit it perfectly, but we can get close.
 Bob Gnarly
11-02-2002, 9:09 AM
HOLY CRAP nice head man AMAZING
 Psyk0Sith
11-02-2002, 10:50 AM
Sweeeet! you guys are doing a great job!
 Bob Gnarly
11-02-2002, 11:00 AM
thats is sooooo true
 Enjoi9187
11-02-2002, 11:54 AM
the skin is good, just maybe saturate and darken it more because in the movie he looks more brownish,and in the pic, he looks pink/greyish
 t3rr0r
11-02-2002, 1:51 PM
Originally posted by Duncan_10158
t3rr0r, if you talk about the legs he is using as arms, then the nummber of joints is correct in the model. he has two joints between his hips and his hands. take a look at my reference pic below.
yes, i see the joint now... do you think you might be able to tweak it and give it more of a bent look?

inbred, that head looks cool so far.

oh and that reminds me... duncan, are you planning on any (toggleable) surfaces? ie. racing goggle hat thingy; a surface for the coins he has hanging his jacket, near his crotch (http://www.gruponemesis.com/sw/sw1/revistas/swwir2.jpg), http://www.neal73.co.uk/hasbro9.jpg)
Page: 1 of 4