Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Sebulba model

Page: 3 of 4
 Duncan_10158
12-09-2002, 2:13 PM
I finished the casual-wear for the sebulba model. i hope i soon can upload some pics of it on my site.

its perhaps time to bring the skins that are made together and make some beta. inbredyokel, could you sent me your podracer skin, so i can put it together.

i am planing to make one model with multible skins, like that one vader model without his helmet. i will call the additional skins model_second. skin ; model_third.skin and so on. some coder could make a mod like for the taunts, instade of only default, red and blue there could be more skintyps to chose; second, third and so on. if other modeler or skinner are making it the same way, we could bring some order into the skins. same modelbased skins under the same model, for ex. instade of six mandaloriens there would be one with six skins.
what do you think of this idea?
 inbredyokel
12-09-2002, 2:53 PM
If that would work, it would be great. I know it can be a pain to flip through dozens of models when adding bots, etc. I'd rather not have an open beta though, since that tends to mess things up model version-wise. Some people have older versions of the model that may not display newer versions of the model correctly, or vice-versa. I personally don't think there will be anything other than asthetic nitpicks in the model and skins anyway, so maybe if we just had a few experienced editors try it and give their input it would work out better.
 Hellfire Jedi
12-09-2002, 2:56 PM
But Duncan DID tell me i could beta test this :(
Well looks good!!
 inbredyokel
12-09-2002, 3:07 PM
If Duncan said you could, you're totally welcome to. I'm just saying I would prefer a closed beta with a majority of the testers to be editors so they could give the most useful input and make suggestions for improvement in the weighting, mesh, skins, shaders, sounds, etc. It wouldn't hurt to have a few others like yourself :)
 Psyk0Sith
12-09-2002, 3:45 PM
Wow, you guys did an awesome job! very impressive.

same modelbased skins under the same model, for ex. instade of six mandaloriens there would be one with six skins.

It's a great idea, im doing this for poof, you just have to make multiple skin files and matching icons.
 Matt-Liell
12-09-2002, 4:00 PM
i could test it since im a skinner and a partial modeler!
 Hellfire Jedi
12-09-2002, 5:10 PM
Ok inbred excuse my misunderstanding.
I am a good beta tester i look at all the little details even arm clipping and post pictures circling whats good or what needs to be fixed (i would never say whats good and whats bad because all these models are great!!) Ok well thnx for letting me test it anyway. Inbred and Duncan make an excellent team!

Hellfire
 Duncan_10158
12-09-2002, 5:58 PM
i wasnt thinking of an open beta testing, i made very bad experience with making it open. last time somebody stole my hutt model and sent it in at different places under his name. it was chaotic, i still have headache from that. i wanted to sent it a few people here around, wich we know and had alredy worked with.
of corse you, Hellfire Jedi, are surly one them!

Psyk0Sith, would you do such a multiskin mod, how do we need to make the modelfiles? probably we need a convention in the filenames, for each skin a icon with the same name and posibly .surf files. what else?
how could we make it known so that other modelers and skinner use the method? new thread, were?
 Matt-Liell
12-09-2002, 6:02 PM
im a trust worthy tester Duncan and u've worked with me before. about your question i dont really understand, u want to make sebulba with more than one skin? explain and ill probably be able to help ya!:D
 Duncan_10158
12-09-2002, 6:14 PM
making such a mulitiskin model isnt that difficult, i already know how to make that. the thing is to make a mod that supports such a multiskin model, thats a question of coding. now every model can have up to 3 skins, one default, red, blue. it would be great if you could chose more skins the same way you chose these 3 skins. but that would probably need that all modelers and skinners use the same names for the fourth, fifth and so on skin. that needs some kind of standarts, so that multiskinmodels are made the same way. what standarts?
 t3rr0r
12-09-2002, 6:20 PM
the thing i don't like is if you want to have the icon show up in the menu you have to name it modelname/default_skinname instead of modelname/skinname. :(
 Matt-Liell
12-09-2002, 6:25 PM
so u want a mod that lets u have more than 3 skins to a model is that it?
 Hekx
12-09-2002, 6:30 PM
I also think it's possible to have multiple CTF colors.
Example: model_red.skin and model_red2.skin. But I believe it didn't work when I tried it :(

As long as there's player icons, the skins should show up.
Best thing to do is create 2 different folders..
Example: ..models/players/hekxnoxu1/ & ..models/players/hekxnoxu2/ ;)

- - - - - - - - - - -
Look foward to seeing this model completed ;)
Even though I don't really like Sebulba :p
 Matt-Liell
12-09-2002, 6:35 PM
Originally posted by Hиkx Nтxъ

then u can have fun slicing it in have as a bot in MP!:p
 Hekx
12-09-2002, 7:05 PM
Originally posted by Matt-Liell Arroblade

then u can have fun slicing it in have as a bot in MP!:p

I'm still trying to recover from Jerec's voice :lol:
Darn bots! Always falling to their demise :disaprove
 Hellfire Jedi
12-09-2002, 7:19 PM
.:*~Hopes he gets beta soon~*:.
hehehe
Also so you guys don't complain not saying that u would :rolleyes: hehehe
i will post pictures at
www.geocities.com/mikeman02341/seb)
hehehhe i just got some caffeine anyone got a funka site with loads of funny stuff gotta let this suga high pass ;) heheh
Sorry for off topic a little dere.

Wuv,
Hellfire

P.S. I bet you posting that will sometime haunt me by folks :007: coolio!!! sorry again >_<
 Duncan_10158
12-09-2002, 7:29 PM
Example: model_red.skin and model_red2.skin. But I believe it didn't work when I tried it :(

i wanted to have it like more the two CTF skins, not a second folder, what would mean to have two icons of the same model with different skins in the chosingbar. it should be that there is one icon for every model in default, then you klick on teamcolor to access red, then blue and then a second, then third and so on skin. the name of the skin could be shown in the icons wich are changing with every skin, like it is with teamcolors. this isnt posible like it is now, it needs a mod.

it would bring some order into the skins of same models, i think its not the best way to have 70 skin icons on that bar. sorted like i wrote is a solution for that
 Psyk0Sith
12-10-2002, 12:09 PM
hmmm, i see what you mean, i guess that would require some coding.

For now we can either use multiple icons or make the user load skins through the console.
 Luuke
12-10-2002, 12:37 PM

- - - - - - - - - - -

well, it's just a wild guess, but model_red2.skin might not work because it has 9 letters, a lot of games... for example "elite force" only support names with 8 or less letters.
maybe that's not the reason... but the first thing that came to my mind :)
 Garik Loran
12-10-2002, 1:09 PM
Originally posted by Luuke

well, it's just a wild guess, but model_red2.skin might not work because it has 9 letters, a lot of games... for example "elite force" only support names with 8 or less letters.
maybe that's not the reason... but the first thing that came to my mind :)

No, JK2 only recognizes the files "model_default", "model_red" and "model_blue".
So, if you want to have 2 characters for one of this it must have names like e.g. "model_default_yourname"
It should work with red the same way. "model_red_bulbi" or something.

Nuff Said!
 §ith Lord
12-10-2002, 2:34 PM
Duncan, Inbred.. This model is awesome, I wouldn't think you would be able to create a character like sebulba without creating new animations. I commend you both.
 Duncan_10158
12-11-2002, 5:30 PM
Originally posted by Garik Loran

No, JK2 only recognizes the files "model_default", "model_red" and "model_blue".
So, if you want to have 2 characters for one of this it must have names like e.g. "model_default_yourname"
It should work with red the same way. "model_red_bulbi" or something.

you misanderstand me, not two characters for one model but multible skins for one character. a Mod could make that you chose a model, then you click on teamcolors:
default => red => blue => second => third => fourth .....

the skinfiles would be:
"model_default", "model_red", "model_blue",
"model_second", "model_third" and so on.

it would be Mod like for the hilts.
 Duncan_10158
12-11-2002, 5:34 PM
and thanks for commendation, §ith Lord
 Garik Loran
12-11-2002, 6:18 PM
Originally posted by Duncan_10158

you misanderstand me, not two characters for one model but multible skins for one character. a Mod could make that you chose a model, then you click on teamcolors:
default => red => blue => second => third => fourth .....

the skinfiles would be:
"model_default", "model_red", "model_blue",
"model_second", "model_third" and so on.

it would be Mod like for the hilts.

Aahh. That' what you meant. Of course that's possible.
It's just some coding.
Hmm, I think I'm going to implement this, and then I will post my results for the mod makers.
Maybe someone wants to use it.
But it can take some time until I find the time to do this, because I'm currently working on other programs.
We'll see.
 nomad
12-11-2002, 6:28 PM
Garik Loran,
good luck on that coding, it's definitely a good idea and worth while. I'm sure it would be much used - since the model icon limit has bothered so many people.

(more applause for all these great modders, modellers, and skinners... and mappers!)

-nomad

MTFBWY
 inbredyokel
12-11-2002, 11:43 PM
I was going to ask this earlier, but Duncan (or anyone else who has any idea), do you think it would be possible to implement limited facial animations so that at least his mouth moves? I know it's been done on a snouted model to a MUCH lesser extent with Desann, and with your amazing weighting job so far I don't think it's beyond your ability. I just think it would be really cool (and hilarious) to have a Kyle-to-sebulba or Jan-to-sebulba sp conversion and it would come in handy for possible modding.
 Duncan_10158
12-13-2002, 1:52 PM
facial animation? the only part i can think of is this mouth, perhaps some up and down movements. but i dont know if its gone look good. i gone play with it for some time, figure out which bone is for what.
 inbredyokel
12-13-2002, 7:20 PM
It's not a big deal. If it seems impossible and a waste of time, don't worry about it.
 Hellfire Jedi
12-19-2002, 5:15 PM
Hows it coming guys? Waits for beta :D

Hellfire
 Duncan_10158
12-19-2002, 5:17 PM
i added some things to the sebulba model inbredyokel asked me for, optional shoulderpacks and so on. we also dicussed some deeper changes, similar those we dicussed here two month ago. but i came to the conclusion that it would lead us nowhere. so the model itself is final now. i hope inbredyokel will finish his jedi skins soon so we can finaly bring this model out.
 Hellfire Jedi
12-19-2002, 5:21 PM
O... No beta then :( well....
Sounds good....... almost done

Hellfire
 Duncan_10158
12-19-2002, 5:29 PM
almost done? i dont know how far inbredyokel with his jedi skins is. its just bringing all the thing together. a closed beta will be, just to get sure.
 inbredyokel
12-21-2002, 1:40 AM
It will be a bit longer since I have to tweak my racer skin and finish my jedi skin, but let me assure it will be worth the wait. The changes Duncan has made make it nearly a dead-on sebulba. It's hard to believe that the humanoid skeleton is buried somewhere in there...
 inbredyokel
01-01-2003, 9:04 PM
Texture update:
I have all my skins done (except for the team recolors on the racer sebulba), so I'm ready to go whenever you are Duncan.
 El Sitherino
01-01-2003, 10:00 PM
so its duncans call from now on? cool
 Duncan_10158
01-02-2003, 3:11 AM
i just returnd form out of cyberspace and its good.

inbredyokel, i am very happy to hear that, cant realy wait to see it. if you could sent me a zip of the skins or a link where you could upload it for a short time.

on the team colors we can still discuss what we will finaly take. i nearly finished it out of my casual wear. i will add everything to the first test for the team.
 El Sitherino
01-02-2003, 2:19 PM
i still get to test him right?
 Duncan_10158
01-03-2003, 6:53 AM
inbredyokel sent me all the skin and they are realy fantastic!

i am brining everything togehter now and will sent it for a closed beta to the project members and some "advisers" here, the file is about 4MB big so i will sent it all at once tonight at 24.00 GMT.

so Hellfire and InsaneSith can you get such a big file by email? ;)
 Hellfire Jedi
01-03-2003, 9:54 AM
I use aol i am sure i can.

Hellfire

P.S. Thanks
 El Sitherino
01-03-2003, 10:17 AM
i better im payin 50 dolla for aol. yeah either send it here (J798@aol.com) or here (SirFobos2021@yahoo.com)
 [JKZ]_Yun
01-03-2003, 11:24 AM
nice work this model ROOOOOCKS :rock: keep the good working man :rock:

-:fett2:Yun
 Duncan_10158
01-03-2003, 2:36 PM
it took me two attempts and half an hour of uploading but i sent it. you should have it in your mail inbredyokel, Hellfire, InsaneSith and Deetox.

something we also should test, if a chosen skin with multiskin is in multiplayer also visible for other players with sebulba installed?
 inbredyokel
01-04-2003, 3:32 PM
Hmm, I've not yet received the model pack...perhaps someone else with a speedy connection could resend it to me. Just lmk and I'll pm you my email.
 El Sitherino
01-05-2003, 3:11 PM
ok i took some shots of sebulba they will be up on my site if you want to see them.
 Duncan_10158
01-05-2003, 5:07 PM
Originally posted by inbredyokel
Hmm, I've not yet received the model pack...perhaps someone else with a speedy connection could resend it to me. Just lmk and I'll pm you my email.

yes, i got two error messages back, i suppose you, inbredyokel, and Deetox couldnt get it. i dont know if the file is too big for that email i used. as it looks now InsaneSith and Hellfire get it, if one of them has a faster connetion he could sent it to you. otherwise i have another try. if you have another mail that surly can get this big file let me know.

Hellfire and InsaneSith, now it would be a good moment to give some feedback. did you see any faults? of corse i dlike to know what you think, i cant wait your oppinion.

like inbredyokel wrote me in a mail its true that some of the skins wouldnt get seen if sebulba have only this multiskin support i was thinking of. so i think i am going to make it both, i will add two smaller pk3 files to make the other skins accessable for not in future multiskinsupport user. thes smaller pk3 will only work with the original sebulbaXX.pk3 file and if somebody is using multiskin he can simply delete them.
 Hellfire Jedi
01-05-2003, 5:31 PM
The multi works good. I think overall its good. Some clipping on the walking but its cool. And the jump sounds dont exactly sound like him, from my point
 El Sitherino
01-05-2003, 6:09 PM
the only things i could find a flaw in was some clipping issues with like the thermal detonaters and those you can see in the pics i put up on my site here (http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/jofaf/lst?.dir=/beta+test+shots&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/)
 inbredyokel
01-06-2003, 2:29 AM
Your email might have been too big, in which case I don't have an email that will allow a file of the needed size...however, if you could just send me your skins, the sound pack, and updated botfiles (if there are any new ones), that should be enough. Just the three of you testing the multiple model mod should work. Which reminds me - Are any of you noticing any problems with the shaders on the loincloth for the racer or jedi models using the multiple model mod? There should be no plain white unskinned areas on either of them.
 El Sitherino
01-06-2003, 2:38 AM
no i dont have any problems appearing on the model.
 Duncan_10158
01-06-2003, 7:09 PM
and what about AI, force and weapon usage of the bot, or the succession of the taunts? any comments or suggestions?
Page: 3 of 4