Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Sebulba model

Page: 2 of 4
 Duncan_10158
11-02-2002, 6:58 PM
Finaly i was able to load up some new pics. its still the unskined model but you can see Sebulba in aktion. and it should answer some questions.

http://io.meskinaw.net/sebulba-proj.php)
 Kranckor
11-02-2002, 7:23 PM
Wow! those new screens are great now all you need to do is skin and some more detail because the feet do look odd.
 Kranckor
11-02-2002, 7:25 PM
Oh and like Yoda it resizes right?
 Duncan_10158
11-02-2002, 7:37 PM
Originally posted by Kranckor
Oh and like Yoda it resizes right?

Yes, its best resized at about 0.6 but we will see when its skinned if it need any resize at all.

and the feet.... the only thing i had to design all by on my own, no reference..... and nobody like it...... how deeply depressiv. (marvin)

The new pics:
http://io.meskinaw.net/sebulba-proj.php)
 t3rr0r
11-02-2002, 9:54 PM
the model looks cooler, but i have to agree that something should be done about the feet (no offence).
 RJW_ca
11-03-2002, 2:13 AM
Does anyone agree that Sebulba's head and sholder's should be alittle bigger--This way his feet will look like they were feet and his hands will look like hands--well--you know what I mean?? right?? It is a great model though!!! really!!
 gorganfloss
11-03-2002, 4:30 AM
Holy crapstix thats good.:eek:
Cool how they hold their sabers.:thumbsup:
 seks03
11-03-2002, 5:00 AM
: O ooooooooh shiiiit!!!!!!! that looks awsome!!!!! though the arms are a little to small but other then that this model is amazing

keep up the great work
 t3rr0r
11-03-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by seks03
though the arms are a little to small but other then that this model is amazing
yes, the arms (that he walks with) need to be more muscular... and you might consider making his legs (holds weapons) a bit more muscular and increased the joint in his second elbow. his hands (weapon) could be bigger, too.
 Duncan_10158
11-03-2002, 7:44 PM
Scouttrooper, i suppose you sent me that pic, thanks. i dont think the model need much more bigger arms. Sebulba on reference pics has very tiny arms, the muscles will come with the skin, i think so. legs he walks on arent also that muscular by itself and i know that they are much more strait then the models legs are, but that are the constrains of the skeleton. some body parts like hands, feet or lower arm and leg parts are given, i cant change their position cause the bones are there.

it is also imposible to change the proportion of joints to the lenght of arms and legs, there is no way to make his legs shorter. there has to be a knee somehow so that the feet have to be different. they look like cat feets, and the wrist is the knee.

and dont expect to see the model walking exactly this typical duglike movements. all models has exactly the same animation, it looks different depending on the weigthing but under the "skin" there are the same bones.

what i wrote here sounds a bit like i am defending my self, but it isnt that. all your suggestions and critics are very valuable and welcome, thank you all. i just wanna give you the feedback when i think something is not going. suggestions like making the joints a bit bigger for better visualaty or correct the helmet bachhead i will bring into the model.

Thanks and keep on your critics
 Kranckor
11-03-2002, 7:46 PM
You said you had no Reference for the feet, but on that page the header has:
http://io.meskinaw.net/images/Sebulba/th/th_top_sebulba.jpg)
 Duncan_10158
11-03-2002, 7:58 PM
Originally posted by Kranckor
You said you had no Reference for the feet, but on that page the header has:
http://io.meskinaw.net/images/Sebulba/th/th_top_sebulba.jpg)

no, i had more then enough reference for the feet, but i needed to change the skeleton. on that pic you see he has no knee, but for the skeleton he had to have one. so i used the wrist for that function, and now the feet have look different. the other way it was very strange to see in movement, like on stilts.
 t3rr0r
11-04-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Duncan_10158
no, i had more then enough reference for the feet, but i needed to change the skeleton. on that pic you see he has no knee, but for the skeleton he had to have one. so i used the wrist for that function, and now the feet have look different. the other way it was very strange to see in movement, like on stilts.
i don't see why you can't rotate the feet... also, subulba is more muscular than seen there, the longer arms/legs on the model make him look weaker. that and his hands look too weak/small.
 inbredyokel
11-06-2002, 3:08 AM
A little skin update...
Took a lot of time, but I've finally got the head done:
http://www.geocities.com/inbredyokel2000/sebu2.txt)
And yes, the goggles will have semi-transparent shaders so the eyes can be seen.
I'm going to do the racing uniform next I think, then after that I'll put together his casual-wear.
 seks03
11-06-2002, 4:07 AM
wow, are you going to make two characters like the gungan pak?
 t3rr0r
11-06-2002, 8:02 AM
Originally posted by inbredyokel
A little skin update...
Took a lot of time, but I've finally got the head done:
http://www.geocities.com/inbredyokel2000/sebu2.txt)
And yes, the goggles will have semi-transparent shaders so the eyes can be seen.
I'm going to do the racing uniform next I think, then after that I'll put together his casual-wear.
sweet skin, inbred... although the size of the lenses look a little small. /me prods duncan
 Deetox187
11-07-2002, 2:10 AM
Looks very nice so far inbredyokal. :)
 Matt-Liell
11-07-2002, 8:02 AM
very nice keep up the good work!
 inbredyokel
11-08-2002, 7:28 PM
Duncan,
Just remembered something. I'm not sure what sounds are included with what you're using from Racer, but I have a little request. He needs to say "Poodoo!" when he falls to his death. If you need me to, I can get the sound myself from TPM(it's totally silent when he says it).
That is all :)
 Deetox187
11-08-2002, 10:59 PM
I made the soundpack, thats a great idea for a falling sound i should've thought of it myself. ;)

this good enough for ya?

http://www.geocities.com/deetox1900/falling1.mp3)

its not totally silent though, has 1 little drumbeat and some other minor noise in the background but nothing that will be heard in game.
 [JKZ]_Yun
11-09-2002, 4:24 AM
nice model and the skin is cool inbredyokel
i can't wait to it comes out :D
 Duncan_10158
11-09-2002, 7:02 AM
First great skin you made, inbredyokel. realy coool!

my plan was not to make a two skins, i just tought of making the helmet switch on by a code you enter, like on one Vader model. it is also posible to change the hole skin by this funktion. we should discuss if a two skin pack wouldnt be better?

and i would like to say, for the model i used the following pic as reference, he isnt wearing the podrace suit. so inbredyokel, dont get to focued on that, ok? or was your plan to make a podrace skin?
http://www.starwars.com/databank/species/dug/index_eu.html)

the other pic with podrace suit is:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/species/dug/index_movie.html)

about the sounds, i thougt that falling screem wasnt that bad, i havent tried this new one yet in game. but if its better, we can change that.

and for t3rr0r, i cant rotat the feet, their position is given by the bones. making arms, legs shorter isnt posible to, same reason.
 t3rr0r
11-09-2002, 10:48 AM
and for t3rr0r, i cant rotat the feet, their position is given by the bones. making arms, legs shorter isnt posible to, same reason.
hmm... how about if the feet weren't weighted to the feet (ie weighted to the bottom of the legs)? would that be a possibility?
 Duncan_10158
11-09-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by t3rr0r

hmm... how about if the feet weren't weighted to the feet (ie weighted to the bottom of the legs)? would that be a possibility?

Thats a good idea, i will make a try. will see if the animation is still usable and if the movment for the feet is that importent for avoiding clipping faults.
 Duncan_10158
11-11-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by me

Thats a good idea, i will make a try. will see if the animation is still usable and if the movment for the feet is that importent for avoiding clipping faults.

I tried it to weight the feet to the legs, but it doesnt look good. it loses a lot of it organic movement and in some situations there are cliping faults.

And it specialy gets problems when he is crouching or making a role.
 t3rr0r
11-11-2002, 5:13 PM
I tried it to weight the feet to the legs, but it doesnt look good. it loses a lot of it organic movement and in some situations there are cliping faults.

And it specialy gets problems when he is crouching or making a role.
did you take any screenshots? :o
 Duncan_10158
11-12-2002, 6:13 PM
Originally posted by t3rr0r

did you take any screenshots? :o

Nope, i didnt. but what about you t3rr0r gone test the model by yourself? sent me an email and i will sent you the betaversion, ok? :(
 SpYzEr
11-12-2002, 6:22 PM
I would be happy to beta test your awesome model also. My email is spyzer@adelphia.net if you want me to. I would appreciate it!
 t3rr0r
11-12-2002, 7:06 PM
Nope, i didnt. but what about you t3rr0r gone test the model by yourself? sent me an email and i will sent you the betaversion, ok? :(
:O !! i'd love to... but my hotmail account might not like the filesize. :( (for reference, it's chronubis@hotmail.com)
 nomad
11-12-2002, 11:21 PM
Way to go Duncan!
I absolutely love the work that you choose to do.
As soon as I saw "Sebulba Model" as a thread, heh I knew it was you.
Best of luck finishing this up. I can't wait to add Sebulba to the collection.
Hey, if I may say so... I would love to see you make an Oppo Rancisis model for JK2.
He is a member of the Jedi Council in Episodes I and II.
You could probably use much of what you did for the Hutt model, as far as the weighting for the "legs".
Anyway, sorry to make a request like that in this thread, but seeing the challenges that you take on, I thought an alien with long hair on it's head and a snake-like lower half would be right up your alley. :D

- nomad

May the force be with you... always
 t3rr0r
11-13-2002, 8:12 PM
the model's great, but i thought you were gonna send me the altered feet version to take screenshots. :o i wonder how it would work if you didn't weight the feet to anything (like the feet on the watto model)... unless of course that's what you did. :D
 Duncan_10158
11-23-2002, 4:25 AM
t3rr0r, i fact i was going to sent you that changed version, but then i had an idea about the feet. i can weight the feet partly to the hips, so i can change them more look like they should be, as you alway suggested. so i sent you the original to sent you right after that the new changed one, but then i had to leave for a week and everything stoped.

but i see nothing here changed meanwhile, so what? :rolleyes:

right now i am working on the model feet again and they will look more like they should if the new weighting idea works.

so thanks t3rr0r, it was the right way, as i see now.
 Duncan_10158
11-23-2002, 4:57 AM
Originally posted by nomad
Hey, if I may say so... I would love to see you make an Oppo Rancisis model for JK2.
He is a member of the Jedi Council in Episodes I and II.
You could probably use much of what you did for the Hutt model, as far as the weighting for the "legs".
Anyway, sorry to make a request like that in this thread, but seeing the challenges that you take on, I thought an alien with long hair on it's head and a snake-like lower half would be right up your alley. :D

Oppo is a very challanging model, so it would be fun to make him. also Padawan_7 asked me quite a while ago if i gone make Oppo. now i realy think of it. and i see it more like a suggestion then a request and suggestions are alway welcome!

By the way, slowly i am getting angry by all the restrictions here around. more and more forums are made and for every type of questions you have to use a different one. forums are living of free communication and self organisation, the more restrictions the less effective the communication gets. I can understand the motivation of the moderators to keep the forums clearly arranged, but that needs only thematical separation. making a request or showcase forum is not thematical, it is functional! that makes the forum not a bit clearer, its even that questions in modeling forum get less attiontion cause everybody is looking in the showcase forum. this functional separation gives the moderaters only the better positon of control, and that is not my view of free communication.

sorry of this excourse but i had to say that.
 t3rr0r
11-23-2002, 12:00 PM
ah, that's cool. can't wait to see how the feet turn out. :D

edit: the direction you're going in the weighting of the feet looks like it should accomodate the newer feet nicely. :D
 nomad
11-23-2002, 3:51 PM
Duncan, I am in agreement with you.
Hopefully all these changes to the forum might create a more productive forum for in-depth editing questions and sollutions, but more likely those areas will be neglected for the showcase forums, like you said.

Anyway, there's no rule that says you can't voice some of your opinions in your own thread, so don't apologise ;)

That's great that you're thinking about making Oppo!

It's even greater that you may have come up with a way to change Sebulba's feet. :D
Hopefully that'll work out like you want it to. Even as is, it looks like you've done a great job.

Keep up the great (did I use that word too often) work.

-nomad

MTFBWY
 inbredyokel
11-23-2002, 4:30 PM
I take it that I should hold off on skinning the legs then. It shouldn't be a problem tho, since I'm being quite the perfectionist with this particular skin, and it will be quite some time before I'm happy with what I already have. I should have some screenshots up next week, and hopefully by next weekend I can have things mostly complete since I'll have a few days off.
 Duncan_10158
11-24-2002, 7:23 AM
Originally posted by nomad
Anyway, there's no rule that says you can't voice some of your opinions in your own thread, so don't apologise ;)
MTFBWY

I wasent sure, perhaps i should have post it into the opinions forum,.... or at least in the apologise forum ;)

and with the feet its going in the right direction, thanks to all of your support. sometimes its difficult to see your own work clearly, cause i am a perfectionist too.

inbredyokel, you dont need to stop your work on the feet, there is nearly no change on the skinmap. i will sent you the new model.glm and skinmap files as soon i get a final look at it. perhaps some other changes but nothing that affects the skinmap. so keep on your great work.
 Padawan_7
12-05-2002, 12:41 AM
Is there any news on your skin for Sebulba inbred?
 inbredyokel
12-05-2002, 10:48 AM
Didn't have much time to do anything over my break last week, so sebulba didn't get too much attention. However, last night I had some spare time so I'm almost finished with the first skin. I'll post screenies when it's done(hopefully tonight).
 Taigan
12-06-2002, 4:13 PM
Exalent model,keep up the good work!
:duel: :lsduel:
 inbredyokel
12-07-2002, 5:28 AM
The sebulba podracer skin is complete (minus shaders).
Modview:
http://www.geocities.com/inbredyokel2000/sebulbaracer.txt)
In-game:
http://www.geocities.com/inbredyokel2000/sebulbaracer2.txt)

I'll be doing the Sebulba casual-wear skin next, and possibly a Jedi skin after that.
 Hellfire Jedi
12-07-2002, 8:27 AM
Looks GOOOOOOOOOOOOD does he actually have his feet in the air like that,
like in the movie...
 Duncan_10158
12-07-2002, 8:57 AM
it looks realy good! very impressiv it is!

i started to make a sebulba skin, just for fun. and of course it hasnt that level of yours, inbredyokel. i am making the skin he wears on my reference pic, using the picture for the skin itself.
this is my reference pic:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/species/dug/index_eu.html)

is this the casual_wear skin your going to do now, inbredyokel?
 Hellfire Jedi
12-07-2002, 9:18 AM
I'm happy duncan said i could beta test this!!!!!
 t3rr0r
12-07-2002, 11:51 AM
wow, he looks great inbred. :D on a side note, how go the feet, duncan?
 inbredyokel
12-07-2002, 3:04 PM
Yeah, that was the next skin I was going to do. It shouldn't take too long, since I have a majority of the flesh parts drawn from the skin.
 Duncan_10158
12-07-2002, 3:49 PM
inbredyokel, i nearly finished that casual_wear you are going to do now. so if you want to do the jedi skin first go ahead with that. I gone finish the skin probably tomorrow, i could sent you my version and we can still dicuss what we gone take.
by the way, there was a small fault in the skinmap on lower torso part, a face like cut in the middle, i fixed that, its going strait now, like its supposed to be.

t3rr0r, i redone the feet as you can see on inbredyokels newest pics. i am not sure if i gave you that version or the older one. its working fine with the new weighting and it looks better.
 inbredyokel
12-07-2002, 4:07 PM
No problem, I'll start drawing up some ideas for the jedi skin. We've still got team skins to think about too, so if there are too many skins they can always be modified for red or blue.
 t3rr0r
12-07-2002, 4:11 PM
t3rr0r, i redone the feet as you can see on inbredyokels newest pics. i am not sure if i gave you that version or the older one. its working fine with the new weighting and it looks better.
ah, i must have misunderstood earlier... i was under the impression you were editing the model feet since you reweighted them. but if you're done with them now, they look just fine.
 Matt-Liell
12-07-2002, 10:01 PM
nice skins there man!
Page: 2 of 4