Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Obiwan ep1/ep2 & Anakin ep2 by Jolts

Page: 2 of 5
 Jolts
09-19-2002, 12:39 AM
busy with work today, so I didn't have time to finish off the lods, or play with his face..but I made a little wireframe comp for all you wireframe monkeys out there

http://www.geocities.com/joltsone/wrup.txt)
 Jolts
09-19-2002, 6:08 PM
finished modeling first lod of obi wan, now I just have to finish the other lods. It will be done at the latest by sunday, today and tomorrow I'm swamped with work, so saturday is official lod day for me.

If anyone wants me to make a zip with the first lod of obi so they can start playing with texturing it or binding it or whatever, let me know and I'll zip it up and stick on my geocities thing.
 Jolts
09-19-2002, 8:32 PM
here are some updated renders

http://www.geocities.com/joltsone/cm.txt)

http://www.geocities.com/joltsone/cm2.txt)

gotta give a big thanks out right now to keo for all the great help on turning my generic face into obiwan, you've reminded me how important it is to draw before you model, thanks.
 keo718
09-19-2002, 8:42 PM
His head is still a bit too big.
 Jolts
09-19-2002, 8:45 PM
yeah I knew...just seeing if you did.
 Jolts
09-19-2002, 9:09 PM
 keo718
09-19-2002, 9:33 PM
I cant tell without a full body shot. Also, His eyes are too big vertically, ears are too big, and his face and nose is too long. Notice the length and shape of his jawline in the following pic compared to your model. Also notice the shape of the hair. His neck is too thick too.

http://www.geocities.com/eo718/owk-ig02.jpg)

http://www.geocities.com/joltsone/cm3.txt)

copy/paste
 Double_S84
09-20-2002, 2:07 AM
**** man.....i mean i like obi wan and all but i thought you were gonna do a basic kinda jedi. That woulda rocked so much. Think bout all the the happy skinners that would raise your banner in praise. HEHE. Ive been readin to much lord of the rings stuff. OHWELL......... Godd job :mad:
 Jolts
09-20-2002, 2:30 AM
I am still doing that, this is a side project to it. I work on the lods, I work on this, and switch back and forth. The basic jedi body with lods will be out by sunday.
 Double_S84
09-20-2002, 6:24 AM
Thank god. Errrrrrrrr a thank you. Is there a thread for it? Id like to see how its lookin.
 Eldritch
09-20-2002, 6:47 PM
In addition to what Keo said, don't forget the cleft in his chin.

-Anakin
 keo718
09-20-2002, 11:17 PM
gotta give a big thanks out right now to keo for all the great help on turning my generic face into obiwan, you've reminded me how important it is to draw before you model, thanks.

Hey, no problem man, glad I could help. I appreciate the shoutout.
 Grafox
09-21-2002, 4:30 AM
Yeah, keo is a pain in the but about details, but that's a very good thing!
 Eldritch
09-21-2002, 8:39 AM
Yeah, Keo was also one of those that helped shaped -Tercero-'s Anakin model into its present incarnation. He's got a real eye for the details.

-Anakin
 keo718
09-21-2002, 4:42 PM
Yeah, keo is a pain in the but about details, but that's a very good thing!
Yeah, Keo was also one of those that helped shaped -Tercero-'s Anakin model into its present incarnation. He's got a real eye for the details.

Thanks guys. I'm glad my criticism is found to be beneficial.
 Toonces
09-21-2002, 5:52 PM
Yeah, you have a great eye for detail :) I beleive Tercero mentioned this once before, but you'd probly make a great texture artist

Nice little touch on the ears jolts :)
 keo718
09-21-2002, 10:01 PM
Thanks Toonces. I just wish I knew how to make textures. I have photoshop. Do you guys just use the typical brushes in Photoshop(or whatever program you have) to skin? I don't really know how to format it either. Sorry for getting off topic.
 Grafox
09-22-2002, 3:21 AM
Originally posted by keo718
Thanks Toonces. I just wish I knew how to make textures. I have photoshop. Do you guys just use the typical brushes in Photoshop(or whatever program you have) to skin? I don't really know how to format it either. Sorry for getting off topic.

Yep, just using the normal brushes, burn and dodge(don't use it to much) and all the layer variaties (sp?). I currently have a skin in the works consisting of 67 layers (a pain on my RAM).
 Eldritch
09-22-2002, 4:37 AM
Grafox,
Varieties.

-Anakin

(and the winner of the shortest post ever award goes to...)
 Double_S84
09-23-2002, 3:15 AM
Hey jolts man. Have you come up with a face for your character yet. Not obi wan the other one. I have a few unique jedi ideas. I can send some drawins to you via e mail if ya want. I even got a few great names. Again only if you want em.
 Jolts
09-23-2002, 3:47 PM
thanks for the offer, but I don't have the time right now. I didn't even get my weekend off...If I were you I would post them anyways and get some feedback on them, maybe someone else will want to make them.
 adillon
09-23-2002, 4:03 PM
Originally posted by Jolts
If I were you I would post them anyways and get some feedback on them, maybe someone else will want to make them.

definitely ... i don't think people post enough conceptual stuff to get feedback on. this can really help people out even before they start modeling the character, at least IMO.

jolts, are you using max for this model? if so, what's the story on your lighting? the renderings look so much different than other models i've seen posted on here, and i'm just curious.

loving the progression of your model, jolts. keep cranking away at 'em. :D
 Jolts
09-23-2002, 4:57 PM
I'm using maya 4.0, renders are crappy, I never put much time into lighting the model. The latest renders were just 2 ambient lights, before that I used directional or point lights. They help pop the facets out more, helps me see the shape bettter.
 Eldritch
09-24-2002, 9:13 AM
Any new progress to report? And don't worry about the lighting/rendering of the model too much right now. As it gets more complete and moving closer to the final version you can start worrying about it. For now, don't sweat it.

-Anakin
 Jolts
09-24-2002, 5:43 PM
Havn't had more than 2 hours to work on this in the last few days, work is starting to eat away my time. Anways here is a quick and dirty inside of maya shot of a few jawline tweaks. Ignore the hair and ears, just temp place holders for now.

http://www.geocities.com/joltsone/obmy.txt)

lods on the body are coming along, have first and second done for the generic jedi body.
 keo718
09-24-2002, 6:03 PM
Yeah. From what I can tell from that shot, its bearing much more of a resemblance. How about a closer shot?
 Jolts
09-24-2002, 6:36 PM
sorry, I don't have enough time to take more shots than front and side right now. I know the nose is too wide, and long? and the jaw line is still off, trying to get the distance from the ear to eye right and figure out how much smooth back from the front of the cheeks back to the ear

http://www.geocities.com/joltsone/obmy1.txt)
 KevinCoyle
09-24-2002, 8:05 PM
Looking really good! I'm really looking forward to seeing it skinned, I think this model is more accurate in the face then the other one that came along with the ep2 obi and qui-gon, but I haven't seen those is a while so I'm not positive.

The eyes look somewhat taller in the image than on the model, though it may just be a difference in angles.
 keo718
09-24-2002, 9:45 PM
Looking good. Now some slight tweaks to the headshape will do it. You might want to try moving the mouth nose and eyes down, he should have more forehead than he does. And right now your models face is slightly rounder than his actual oval headshape. Notice where his jawline curves(beneath where his lips are positioned). You may need to bring down the position of the ears more. Asked for the nose, its only the nostrils that seem a bit wide.

http://www.geocities.com/eo718/owk-ig02.jpg)
http://www.geocities.com/eo718/swig107.jpg)

copy/paste.
 Jolts
09-24-2002, 10:00 PM
hey keo do you know of any good characature books?
 Eldritch
09-25-2002, 1:15 PM
Originally posted by KevinCoyle
Looking really good! I'm really looking forward to seeing it skinned, I think this model is more accurate in the face then the other one that came along with the ep2 obi and qui-gon, but I haven't seen those is a while so I'm not positive.

The eyes look somewhat taller in the image than on the model, though it may just be a difference in angles.

Kevin,

The other models you are referring to (Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan ep 1/2) were modeled by Tex. However, Tex for some reason did not finish them, but gave Toonces, Arco, and Kman permission to finish for him. I don't know if they'll be modifying them, but I sure hope so, because right now they're nothing special to look at. Literally bursting with inaccuracies.
This model, however, is coming along quite nicely and as usual, Keo has beaten me to the pertinent nitpicking points, so I'll just continue my moral support of Jolts.

-Anakin
 keo718
09-25-2002, 1:44 PM
hey keo do you know of any good characature books?

No unfortunately. But if you happen to find any, let me know. Im interested in that stuff myself.
 Toonces
09-25-2002, 2:46 PM
I'll have to agree, while Tex's Episode one Obi IS very well done, I think your Episode one Obi may just turn out to be perfect :D Qui-Gon and Episode II Obi are dead on however

And once you get keo on board, your bound to make a perfect model :)
 keo718
09-25-2002, 3:07 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence Toonces. :) And Jolts, your doing a great job. Hows the generic Jedi coming along?
 Jolts
09-26-2002, 11:36 PM
another small update, still not the right jaw line, but closer?

http://www.geocities.com/joltsone/obud.txt)
 Jolts
09-26-2002, 11:36 PM
 Jolts
09-27-2002, 9:15 AM
oops, ignore the one post above...didn't think the last one went through...
 keo718
09-28-2002, 6:59 PM
Jolts: That looks good. Just minor adjustments now. The face could be slightly thinner. Try moving in the cheekbones slightly, the nose may need to a bit thicker. And of course, the hair.

edit: The eyes may need to be closer together as well.
 Grafox
09-28-2002, 7:02 PM
yeah, Jolts, it;s looking awsome, keep it up!!
 Jolts
09-30-2002, 7:44 PM
sorry for the lack of updates, work has been crazy but I should have something in the next day.
 Jolts
10-02-2002, 9:16 PM
work is kicking my ass, I have no free time for modelling right now, all I have to do now is a few head tweaks and those annoying lods.
 Professor Snape
10-05-2002, 10:56 AM
bump
 Professor Snape
10-06-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Anakin-Davin
bump

my 100th post
 SpYzEr
10-06-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Anakin-Davin

my 100th post

and.....?
 Eldritch
10-06-2002, 1:27 PM
I've never seen such a blatent example of post padding. If you want to get posts, at least say something constructive.
 Eldritch
10-06-2002, 2:36 PM
But you bumped it twice in two minutes. That, my friend, is post padding.
 -s/<itzo-
10-06-2002, 3:02 PM
i know this is not important but who made the term bump. i'm kinda new at this forum terminlogies and till this day i still don't know whats the whole deal with BUMP. i don't get the concept at all. i think its pointless.

ok enough with that, jolts i really think the head is very accurate and can't do anymore to it. i think its perfect as it is. can't wait till you start skinning it. its going to look awesome.
 Scotchy
10-07-2002, 9:07 AM
LBuRnA,

Bump is a way to move a topic back up from a low page or second-on page location and put it back in the glancing public's view. It's a way of demanding that posters and in some cases the originator of the thread pay more attention to the thread and the comments that have been/will be posted in it.

It's basically just a way of keeping the thread in everyone's face so they won't forget it exists
 keo718
10-07-2002, 5:36 PM
Any updates Jolts? The model is coming along nicely.
 Jolts
10-07-2002, 9:41 PM
Still busy with real life work, by the time I get home all I want to do it eat have a drink and passout. The job is almost over 1 more week, next monday I'm back to doing nothing but modelling.
Page: 2 of 5