Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Old Ben Kenobi

Page: 1 of 5
 KevinCoyle
09-04-2002, 1:33 AM
I'm working on a model of Ben Kenobi from Episode 4. Here is a very early screenshot of his head. even though the head mesh isn't finished, I've already skinned the face. I tend to build my face mesh and skin at the same time so it comes out looking more like the person I'm trying to build. This is still in it's very early stages, I plan to make the beard and hair stick out a bit from the mesh, right now it just painted right on his face and head.

http://www.babylonius.com/invasion/jedimodels/oldbenearlyhead.jpg)
 Twisted Vertex
09-04-2002, 1:59 AM
OK.......interesting production pipeline you have there. I would consider that highly unproductive. It would seem to be more benifishal if you at least completed the facial mesh. Then applied you texture. If I were you, you might wanna consider a new pipline, you might be pleased..........Anyways. FIX the beard please..Make it more random, we are talking about an old man here, He needs a little bit of randominess in the beard, Its too neat and organized.

The actually skin tone is that of 20 year old. Rich and colorful...By the way, Take back your light source when rendering. Also to improve your mesh.......Take off any specualr highlights off the texture....if your using max there is a dial in the texture editor.

I like the eyes alot.....they appear to be the right size, However that beek of a nose is throwing everything off....Other than that......it appears you have the proper protions in the facial area _BESIDE the nose_

great work keep it up.
 nomad
09-04-2002, 2:04 AM
Hey, best of luck, KevinCoyle!
Ep4 Obi-Wan is hands down my most desired character for this game and probably the most overlooked character in this community.
I shall keep my eye on your progress for sure.
It's an early start still, but you have captured his look slightly :)
His nose, no doubt looks a little too wide, but his eyes, nose and mouth seem to be lined up well, in relation to eachother.

-nomad

May the force be with you
 KevinCoyle
09-04-2002, 2:23 AM
OK.......interesting production pipeline you have there. I would consider that highly unproductive. It would seem to be more benifishal if you at least completed the facial mesh. Then applied you texture. If I were you, you might wanna consider a new pipline, you might be pleased..........Anyways. FIX the beard please..Make it more random, we are talking about an old man here, He needs a little bit of randominess in the beard, Its too neat and organized.

I guess I should have phrased that differently. I don't mean That I start making the skin when the head is still a box, I do make the mesh first but I don't wait until I think it's perfect before adding the face skin, once the mesh get's to a certain point, I do both together to really get it the way I want it. It doesn't take to much more time to select the face polygons and click the "apply texture" buttons.

Good idea about the beard, I'll work on that soon, and I do plan to fix the skin tone, like you said, it makes him look to young, plus it contrasts to much with his hair and beard. And I'll definatly fix the nose.
 K.O
09-04-2002, 2:55 AM
Originally posted by nomad
Ep4 Obi-Wan is hands down my most desired character for this game and probably the most overlooked character in this community.

Well, I have 1 skin of him already out. There are probably more around, just have to look. :o

Good job so far, but anything I have to add it looks like you said you'll already fix. I'm looking forward to your next update! Nothing more fun than old guys running around with sabers. :D

Edit: Is he supposed to have a line running down the middle of his face like that?
 KevinCoyle
09-04-2002, 4:07 AM
Here's a slight update to the head. I haven't gotten to changing the beard texture yet, but I changed the skin tone somewhat, added some various detail and thinned out the nose.

http://www.babylonius.com/invasion/jedimodels/oldbenearlyhead2.jpg)
 <JOTD>Jedi Hunter
09-04-2002, 4:23 AM
Good update. A few comments though. Shave the point from the end of the nose. And his face looks a bit odd. Like it doesn't fit on the model right. Try some altering of the facial model. So it better fits the skin.
 jaybiggspr
09-04-2002, 6:11 AM
*belches up chunks
 Madjai
09-04-2002, 7:01 AM
you really need to add detail to the face, it looks like you pasted the skin over a flat surface with a bump for a nose.
 Eldritch
09-04-2002, 11:24 AM
I think considering you just started, you've captured his likeness pretty well. I do agree that more detail needs to be added to the face, and the beard looks a little too thick, but i'm sure you'll get to that as you go along. Keep it up, it's a good start.
 KevinCoyle
09-04-2002, 8:30 PM
 hawk_of_war
09-04-2002, 8:37 PM
WoW! That is so much better than the other pictures. I hope you can keep the quality up throughout the model.

[edit]
Though I do beleive that the nose is just a tad bit big.
 funny_dude0
09-04-2002, 10:06 PM
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this or noticed this yet (although it's hard NOT to notice), but his nose is a bit big.
 Sounds Risky
09-04-2002, 10:16 PM
Have the facial hair stick out. And don't forget real eyes.
 fat_101
09-05-2002, 6:39 AM
im impressed, but i have to agree there needs to be real eyes and his beard needs to be attached (if thats the right word?) but on the whole it looks very good.

FATTEH
 <JOTD>Jedi Hunter
09-05-2002, 6:56 AM
For a first attempt I'd have to say good job man. The new update is looking great. Good job! :)
 KevinCoyle
09-05-2002, 7:26 AM
Well, I gave him real eyes instead of skinned ones. I think they need to be tweeked still, he seems to look less like ben then he did before, also the eyelids need work. I also worked on his nose a little more and made it a bit smaller, and pulled out his mustache and beard a little

http://www.babylonius.com/invasion/jedimodels/oldobiwanhead4.jpg)
 fat_101
09-05-2002, 7:35 AM
By comparison i think when u have completed the eyelids then it should look like ben again, its the darkness around his eyes that is the reason for the nonlikeness ( <- is that a real word ???)

FATTEH
 Toonces
09-05-2002, 7:51 AM
I must say Kevin, you have a fabilous resemblence thus far, what's the poly count on that head right now?

I'm starting to really understand why some modelers put a skin on their models very early into the game, it really helps with proportions. I'm going to begin to try and use this technique on my next model :)

Toonces
www.drivingcatstudios.com)
Powered by Sith :lightning
 Eldritch
09-05-2002, 8:15 AM
I think the latest update looks less like him then the one before. Whatever you did with the eyes changed his look too much. The skin tone is better now though.
 KevinCoyle
09-05-2002, 2:12 PM
I'll definatly fix the eyes, so don't worry about that. And for Toonces, the head has 850 polys in it right now. I shouldn't need much more, I mostly just need to tweek what I've got so far to make it look right
 funny_dude0
09-05-2002, 5:09 PM
Well now I think he kind of looks like Gandalf from Lord of the Rings. Maybe shrink his nose a bit?
 hawk_of_war
09-05-2002, 6:56 PM
Everyone one's been saying that ever since I did.
 bleek
09-05-2002, 9:31 PM
I think it looks good...and a lot like him...least better than the one in the game right now. Looks much much much improved since the first screenies of him you made.
 KevinCoyle
09-05-2002, 10:00 PM
Here's another update. I fixed the eyelids and made several adjustments here and there trying to make it look as close to obi-wan as possible. There's two screenshots here. The first one is an update like all the others, the second one is a rendering from the front next to one of the pictures I'm using for reference.

Update5 (http://www.babylonius.com/invasion/jedimodels/oldobiwanhead5.jpg)
UpdatewithRefPic (http://www.babylonius.com/invasion/jedimodels/oldobiwanhead5ref.jpg)
 keo718
09-05-2002, 10:05 PM
Very nice. My observation, the nose should be a tad shorter, and the ears should come out more. His mustache is also a tad less thick.
 nomad
09-06-2002, 4:26 AM
Really nice looking resemblence!
That reference picture is a little strange. Did you doctor that one up yourself to get a straight on image of his face? It's clearly a mirrored image (one half of his face) and some of the preportions seem a little off. Your model looks better than that ref pic. :)
One little thing, I see a problem with the pupils. They should lie centered within the iris. I see that the reference pic has these weird ecliptical pupils and that you have the same on your model. I've noticed this in one pic that I have of him as well (I think it's the same one you got most of that ref pic from) but I think it's just a weird shadow or the angle, because no one should have pupils like that. Just trying to help ;)
Keep in mind though, that the eyes look fantastic besides this point, and I hope that you can fix the problem without losing that certain something that you have captured thus far.

K.O. -
I'm aware of the skins out there, but I do not think a skin with prequel-like jedi garments qualifies as being a good representation of such a legendary character. I mean ZERO offense. I've seen three skins of him, and all have been good jobs with what there was to work with, but until there is an Old Ben with full length robes, in my obsessive, Star Wars-Puristic Opinion, he has been "overlooked" And please do not " :o " at me. It seems as though you were making an attempt to appear as though you were talking down to me. That is not appreciated.
Nonetheless, I did not mean to sound like I was complaining with my original comments. I was merely stating my happiness with the fact that somebody had begun a WIP of this character.

Keep up the good work KevinCoyle.

-nomad

MTFBWY
 fat_101
09-06-2002, 6:34 AM
I have to say ur reference pic Mr obi-wan looks a little .....roughed up but it looks like u have compensated 4 that. on the whole its looking more like him again, the only thing i would change is making his beard a little more rough around the edges and move his ears out a little more to stick out a bit.

FATTEH

overall top job keep it up :)
 Toonces
09-06-2002, 3:56 PM
I'd be intrested to see a flat shader on that head. You've got more than enough faces to pull a very accurate head off I bet, it's looking good :D A side shot would be nice too, the front of the head looks a little pointy

I agree with you nomad, the model itself looks much better than that refrence pic, and to back you up nomad, a custom model is always prefrable to a reskin of an existing model, there is just so much more that you can do

Toonces
www.drivingcatstudios.com)