Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP: Old Ben Kenobi

Page: 4 of 5
 Eldritch
09-27-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by LBuRNa
looks great. da face and da clothes has much improved. you should make da sleeves of da rob a bit bigger though. is there any in game screen shots coming soon. can't wait.

What the hell is a rob? If you mean ROBE, it's spelled R-O-B-E. I can understand people that don't know how to speak, but can't comprehend the people that don't take the time to type properly. There's absolutely no reason to type the way you (might) talk - that is, unless you want to look unintelligent.

-Anakin
 Toonces
09-27-2002, 2:42 PM
heh, off topic, but just for the record, people from this area don't really talk like that :) I've met people who do and 99 out of 100 times it's just a faзade :)
 -s/<itzo-
09-27-2002, 6:22 PM
holy SHlT jedi_anakin_s for real get off my DICK. thats like the 5th time you tryin to diss me. damn my bad if i left out an E in robe. but why do you care so much. and why do you always say something stupid after my posts. you always talk down to me. this is not the first time you did this. i think your really got something against me. get this in your head this is not an essay why are you taking my spelling or grammar so seriously. thats just pointless. everyone knows what i'm tyin to say you just wanna be a dick about it though. damn you need to get a life. i mean you registered in september right and you already have 100 or so posts. i guess you have a lot of time in your hands or maybe most of your posts are stupid just like what you just wrote. for real you taking this whole star wars thing a bit too serious. i bet in your own little world you think you are the real anakin and you make your friends call you annie. anyways i suggest some counseling or maybe some prozac might help if not i really don't know what else to say.
 nomad
09-27-2002, 8:34 PM
"Luke... Don't give in to anger. That leads to the darkside."

(was that a good segue back to the WIP topic?)

Oh Kevin, are you ignoring me because I don't have a fancy icon? ;)
 Eldritch
09-27-2002, 10:51 PM
I won't even bother dignifying that with a response. Instead of wasting your energy flaming me, why don't you put your energy into something else? Like leaving constructive posts rather than just the inane bable you spew all over the place.

Anyway, Kevin, any updates on the model?

-Anakin
 KevinCoyle
09-28-2002, 12:04 AM
Right now I'm in the process of working out the flaws in the skin and model, making sure everything looks right. I had re-map the side of his head, there was too much distortion that I didn't really notice before. When I finished I'm going to render a front and back of the robed version, and a front and back of the unrobed version, and then a closeup of his face, that way, everyone will see the whole model and we can get it perfect for the game
 Eklin
09-28-2002, 1:31 AM
1. Can't wait to see the different perspectives of the model (front, back, sides), Kevin. There's probably a lot of detail that's going un-noticed without them. You're doing an excellent job, and I can't wait until this is released.

2. Anakin, you're whole "What the hell is a rob? If you mean ROBE, it's spelled R-O-B-E." post was just completely moronic. So he misspelled robe. Whoop-dee-freaking-doo. Get a life.

3. LBuRNa, you should definitely try and work on using proper grammar. Although "da face and da clothes has much improved" IS understandable, it's really annoying.
 Woodrodius
09-28-2002, 3:25 AM
No, Jedi_Anakin_S has every right to be extremely angry, Typo's are grounds for execution in some countries. Unlease your unbridled rage!!!
 Eldritch
09-28-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Eklin

2. Anakin, you're whole "What the hell is a rob? If you mean ROBE, it's spelled R-O-B-E." post was just completely moronic. So he misspelled robe. Whoop-dee-freaking-doo. Get a life.

There's no need for you to insult me, Eklin. I went off like that because i'd seen LBurna in several threads that day, and his particular style of typing grates on my nerves. There's only so much I can take. We all have our breaking points, and our pet peeves, so please - cut me some slack here.

But, lets get away from the bickering here; I won't be saying anything else on the subject, so let's consider it case closed and get back to the point of this thread - the model.

-Anakin
 -s/<itzo-
09-29-2002, 12:58 AM
jedi_anakin_s i just want to ask you something. what's an " inane bable " thats a new word that i haven't heard before. common you do the same thing too. no ones perfect. everybody type typos here and there. if i made you mad i'm sorry but you really push me to the end. you were making fun of how i talk, calling me names, you don't even know me. whats wrong with the word "da" seriously. you act like an english teacher. you take the way i talk much seriously than the topic. stick to the thread instead of picking on people you don't even know. i hate how you talk down to me. theres no need for that. if the way i talk really gets to everybody then i'll stop but if you keep replying with stupid remarks i having nothing to do but retaliate.

everybody i'm sorry if the tread got a bit sidetrack. i just had to say what i have to say. please continue.
 Enjoi9187
09-29-2002, 1:04 AM
inane: One that lacks sense or substance: interrupting with inane comments; angry with my inane roommate.

babel: A confusion of sounds or voices. See Synonyms at noise.
A scene of noise and confusion.
 Woodrodius
09-29-2002, 3:16 AM
Woodrodius: 1. An Adonis, one adored by women. 2. Individual of immense class and style, see pimp.
 Enjoi9187
09-29-2002, 9:24 AM
lulu

n : a very attractive or seductive looking woman [syn: smasher, stunner, knockout, beauty, sweetheart, peach, looker, mantrap, dish]

lu·lu Pronunciation Key (ll)
n. Slang
A remarkable person, object, or idea.

lulu, FL
Zip code(s): 32061
 Eklin
09-29-2002, 6:00 PM
Originally posted by JEDI_Anakin_S

There's no need for you to insult me, Eklin. I went off like that because i'd seen LBurna in several threads that day, and his particular style of typing grates on my nerves. There's only so much I can take. We all have our breaking points, and our pet peeves, so please - cut me some slack here.

But, lets get away from the bickering here; I won't be saying anything else on the subject, so let's consider it case closed and get back to the point of this thread - the model.

-Anakin

Yes, I can understand and relate with the whole pet-peeve thing, and I appologize for reacting as harshly as I did. I guess my own breaking point had been reached at that time.

So, let's try to keep this thread clean of this kind of filth in the future, and stick to the main topic at hand: this kick ass Ben Kenobi model.
 keo718
09-29-2002, 8:11 PM
babel: A confusion of sounds or voices. See Synonyms at noise.

I believe Jedi Anakin meant babble, not babel.
 Eldritch
09-29-2002, 10:31 PM
No Keo, I did mean babel, not babble. It's pointless now though. So what's new on the model, Kev-O?

-Anakin

Edit : In other news, I was re-watching A New Hope the other night and saw something interesting. I don't know if this will affect plans for the non-robed version (if there even will be one) but I noticed that Obi-Wans tabards are actually one LONG piece of fabric, unlike the other jedi. It just goes behind his neck and down the other side of his body. I think the only place you can see this is when they're escaping Mos Eisley/Tattoine on the Millenium Falcon and Luke and Ben run to strap themselves in before the jump into hyperspace. Ben turns his back to the camera for a split second but if you pause it (or just have quick eyes) you can see what I mean.
 KevinCoyle
10-01-2002, 8:51 PM
is this just in the back of his robe? I know the tabards are split in the front
 Eldritch
10-01-2002, 8:55 PM
The tabards are actually not tabard(s), it's a tabard - for Old Ben, it's just *one* piece of fabric! They're separated in the front like normal, but instead of each slinging over his shoulder and going straight down his back, it's just *one* long piece of fabric that goes behind his neck and back down the other side of the front of his body. Hard to describe in words... just watch the movie, you'll see what I'm talking about.

-Anakin
 KevinCoyle
10-01-2002, 9:01 PM
I think I see what your saying, the "tabard" is just like the robe itself, split in front of the neck and solid behind. Does the backpiece hang down the same length as the front?
 Eldritch
10-01-2002, 9:05 PM
I think you're missing what I'm saying. There is NO backpiece, and it's not split. Imagine the tabard like a LONG scarf, and he's draped it over his neck so that it runs down his front on his left and right side. If you still don't understand, watch the movie... there's no reference pics that show this.

-Anakin
 KevinCoyle
10-01-2002, 9:18 PM
I went ahead and watched the part you mentioned, and I see what your talking about now. Thanks for pointing that out to me, it will help me reduce the polycount by removing the tabards in the back, the number was beginning to get high.
 frendon
10-01-2002, 9:36 PM
ok for everybody that didn't get that i'm going to ilustrate here is the front and back pic of what they are talking about:

http://fernandorendon.5u.com/pics/obitabard.JPG)
 KevinCoyle
10-01-2002, 9:52 PM
Another clip that actually shows where it wraps around the neck is when obi-wan sits behind luke and chewie in the ****pit of the Millenium falcon shortly before Han says "Watch your mouth kid, or your gonna find yourself floating home!" When they're trying to get away from the star destroyers after leaving tatooine
 Eldritch
10-01-2002, 9:53 PM
No problem Kevin - glad I could help!

And thanks Frendon for the pic... now everyone will know I'm not crazy, heh heh.

-Anakin
 KevinCoyle
10-01-2002, 10:26 PM
Anybody have any ideas for pain sounds? I've got a list written up for everything that I want for death and taunt, but I don't have pain sounds. I'd like to avoid phrases or sentences, it get's rather annoying when your fighting a someone and they keep repeating the same thing over and over again. Two examples are Vader and Tyranus, You'll be fighting Vader and he goes "it is useless to resist, it is useless to resist over and over again, Tyranus (or dooku) always says "brave of you boy, brave of you boy" over and over again. I don't know about the rest of you, but I find that very annoying, any ideas?
 Eldritch
10-02-2002, 9:05 AM
If you don't like the idea of sound clips, I think your only other alternative is to find someone who can do a Alec Guiness impression and have that person make some "pain sounds" for you, because to my knowledge there's none for him in the movies.

-Anakin
 shaolin_blade
10-02-2002, 10:27 AM
I get sick of hearing those long clips, too. Dooku is bad, but Jar-Jar got flat out annoying.

I replaced Dooku's pain and death sounds with the generic MP male sounds found inside the assets1.pk3 file. I did the same thing for Maul's jump sounds because that stupid Tiger growl just didn't fit.

If you open the assets1.pk3 file with WINZIP or WINRAR, you can copy any of the sounds from any of the characters in the game.
 Eldritch
10-02-2002, 11:17 AM
The stock sounds provided for models made by Raven (any of them) just won't fit with Old Ben. To be as authentic as possible, you'd have to find or make your own sounds.

-Anakin
 shaolin_blade
10-02-2002, 11:22 AM
There's a fine line between authenticity and playability. If the sounds are too annoying or distracting, they can take away from the playability of the model.

Custom Taunts are fine, but pain, jump and death sounds are played a lot during a fight and shouldn't be too obtrusive, like they are in the Dooku model.
 Eldritch
10-02-2002, 11:32 AM
I agree - so long as the sounds aren't obtrusive, they're fine. But I was only stating that the default sounds wouldn't do the model justice.

-Anakin
 KevinCoyle
10-03-2002, 2:40 PM
Here are some of the sounds I'm thinking of using for the ben model, let me know what you think and if you have any more ideas on sounds.

bensounds.zip (http://www.babylonius.com/invasion/jedimodels/bensounds.zip)

On the model itself, I may have some new screenshots later today, or tomorrow if I don't post them today.
 kenad
10-03-2002, 3:01 PM
Remeber to rename tuant4 :)

Great work

Thanks for everything
 KevinCoyle
10-03-2002, 3:05 PM
Right, I'll have to rename them all anyway before I put them in the pk3
 -s/<itzo-
10-03-2002, 3:29 PM
the sounds are great i don't know about taunt2 though. maybe because theres music in the background. also in the movies doesn't he say " may the force be with you " or " use the force. " i haven't seen it for a while it just pops up in my head when i think about ben. umm... the morgan model taunt uses " may the force be with you " and it kinda sounds like him. i don't know its your call do whatever pleases you.
 Professor Snape
10-03-2002, 3:36 PM
sweet taunts dude! DO u think it will be released this week????
 KevinCoyle
10-03-2002, 3:47 PM
I'm hoping it will be ready for release this weekend, but I'm not going to rush it. It all depends on how it turns out, if I have any major problems with it, and how much time I have to work on it.
 keo718
10-03-2002, 4:08 PM
Just wanted to say great job on the model. If you need anyone to beta and check for errors, I'd be glad to help.
 KevinCoyle
10-03-2002, 7:07 PM
 frendon
10-03-2002, 7:13 PM
WOW :eek: !!! they look great, but i would like the hood to cover a little more of his head, so you are almost done right? what's left to be done?
 rut-wa jodar
10-03-2002, 7:14 PM
Great looking model keep up the good work. can`t wait to see this beauty ingame.:thumbs1:
 -s/<itzo-
10-03-2002, 7:15 PM
how about ben shirtless nah just playing. looks excellent man, one of the models out there with a complete package. the varieties of outfits was a great idea. can't wait.
 KevinCoyle
10-03-2002, 7:18 PM
rut-wa jodar, read my post two posts up from the one with the screenshots.

Ha, well I guess you did. I noticed you edited your message
 -s/<itzo-
10-03-2002, 7:23 PM
are in-game screen shots coming up??? looks great i want to see if its the same in the game.
 frendon
10-03-2002, 7:23 PM
Originally posted by frendon
what's left to be done?

Thanks KevinCoyle is always great to be ignored!!
 keo718
10-03-2002, 7:36 PM
I have a comment Kevin. The hood up version needs some adjustment. The hood in the back should flap over, as opposed to how it looks now. I'll try to find a pic for you.

edit: Also, with the "benrobedfull" the hood needs alot more detail.
 keo718
10-03-2002, 7:49 PM
 keo718
10-03-2002, 7:57 PM
Copy and paste the first link.

This is the back and side view. Notice how it comes over his shoulders.

http://www.geocities.com/eo718/Obi-Wan_robe.jpg)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/multimedia/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Episode_1/Characters/Obi-Wan_Kenobi&image=vanity-4.jpg&img=16&tt=)

http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/multimedia/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Images/Episode_1/Characters/Obi-Wan_Kenobi&image=swig206.jpg&img=&tt=)

http://www.padawansguide.com/promo/pages/obiwan3_promo.htm)

EDIT: For the hood up from the back perspective, consult Toonces' Sidious model.
 KevinCoyle
10-03-2002, 8:02 PM
Sorry Frendon, forgot about that last part (I've already made the change to the hood as you suggested). Basically my schedule is to allow people to comment on the model tonight so I can make adjustments later tonight. Tomorrow, I'll continue working out flaws in the model until everything is as correct as I can get it. Then I need to do the CTF skins. For those, I just plan to change his robe color, so they shouldn't take very long. By Saturday, I hope to start getting the model in game so it will be in the game on Sunday, then fix any problems that might occur in-game. Depending on whether I have any problems getting the model in game or not, the model should be out by Sunday night or Monday night.

Thanks for the images Keo, I'll see what I can do
 frendon
10-03-2002, 8:07 PM
don't worry about it KevinCoyle, thanks a lot for doing this model it looks great can't wait to have the old Vader/ObiWan duel in my pc, if you have it by sunday or monday it would rock but don't try to rush it see what everybody has to say as you have always done , thanks again
 keo718
10-03-2002, 8:13 PM
Also Kevin, I think the robe sleeves need to open up more around the hands(again, you can refer to Toonces Sidious model).
Page: 4 of 5