Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Levels and locations

Page: 1 of 2
 Alexrd
07-02-2010, 6:21 AM
What is your favourite (and least favourite) level and locations in this game?
 Alfa_One
07-02-2010, 8:51 AM
Well, this is a nice question. I must say that I love Mos Espa mainly because you are free and you can do what you want. Also I like a lot Its environment and mission. You can do multikills... always funny. The same in Most Espa Arena.

I like Coruscant too because the suburbs, where there are a lot of poor people asking for food and with sticks waiting for attack you If you dont cooperate, all is old and broken, there are cockroaches in the floors; walls, floors, boxes, etc. are very dirty, I think that the environment is nicely done again. There are like a rodian's commercial district, landing plataforms, offices, a guide tour center and other stuff, a very coruscant environment.

My vote goes to Mos Espa.

PD: I will play it again.
 Alexrd
07-02-2010, 9:15 AM
I guess mine is Gardens of Theed. Specially the first and last part of the level where everything is calm near that lake with platforms. As for locations, I know these are nothing special, but I like CorusMall (on Coruscant level) with its Roonan traders:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100410220449/starwars/images/3/32/CorusMall_1.png)

And 7-Gee Lounge:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110204160835/starwars/images/thumb/b/b4/7-Gee_Lounge.png/1024px-7-Gee_Lounge.png)

P.S: Pictures taken by myself.
 Alfa_One
07-02-2010, 8:42 PM
Oh that is the "commercial district" that I said, I thought that they were rodians, now I realize that they are roonan traders and that place is called CorusMall. After reading your reply I found more info in the Wookieepedia, very interesting.

When I say "suburbs" Im refering to the Restricted Area, a lower part of Coruscant.

I will post some screenshots, thats a nice idea.
 Alexrd
07-03-2010, 6:58 AM
Yes. I've created the CorusMall article and uploaded both pictures to Wookiepedia some months ago.

I know that place you're talking about. They are some kind of underground levels. Never liked that part. Once, I tried to give chokies to some guy on the underground, since he was asking for food, but it didn't work...
 Landmaster13
07-06-2010, 2:50 AM
I voted for Escape from Theed as my favorite level only because it is the one I am most familiar with. I can't argue with anyone who thinks that Mos Espa is a good level, as, quite simply, it is. It comes a close second in my opinion, but only because if you killed enough people in the town then infinite thermal detonators will begin to spawn at certain locations. Not all at once, mind you. Everyone could be dead, but those blasted thermal detonators...(get it? Blasted....thermal detonators?.....yeah.)
 Alexrd
07-06-2010, 6:49 AM
I voted for Escape from Theed as my favorite level only because it is the one I am most familiar with.

I would vote for Escape from Theed if you hadn't the Queen always complaning at you:
"You are stepping on my dress."
"I never thought a Jedi could be so rude."
:migraine:

But that's not all. The worst is when she gets stuck or when she rushes to some battle droids or destroyer droids and gets eventually killed.

She alone takes nearly all the enjoyment of the level. (Which is one of the best, visually speaking.)

I can't argue with anyone who thinks that Mos Espa is a good level, as, quite simply, it is. It comes a close second in my opinion, but only because if you killed enough people in the town then infinite thermal detonators will begin to spawn at certain locations. Not all at once, mind you. Everyone could be dead, but those blasted thermal detonators...(get it? Blasted....thermal detonators?.....yeah.)

From what I recall, there are only two locations on that map where thermal detonators spawn.
 Landmaster13
07-07-2010, 11:32 PM
I suppose youre right about the queen being a b*tch to get around with. =P
 Alexrd
09-04-2010, 3:01 PM
So, nobody has pictures of their favourite locations? Let's revive this place. :)
 Landmaster13
10-31-2010, 1:03 AM
Here are some pics of Escape from Theed. PS Sorry for the HUGE Fraps Icons in the corner: I couldn't be bothered editing them out.

http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=683&pictureid=7423)

http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=683&pictureid=7422)

http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=683&pictureid=7421)

http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=683&pictureid=7419)

Maybe more later - without that annoying yellow number in the corner.
 Alexrd
11-01-2010, 3:53 PM
http://www.lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=683&pictureid=7423)

Wow. I remember spending hours trying to save that guy with blue clothes from death, but never did it.

P.S: You can remove the frame icon within Fraps' options.
 Landmaster13
11-02-2010, 12:58 AM
 Alfa_One
11-04-2010, 2:52 AM
Hi, Im happy to see this, I will try to cooperate and upload some images because the last time I said that I didnt do it. Nice Images:thmbup1:
 Landmaster13
11-05-2010, 6:14 PM
 Jamps
11-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Its all about the Mos Espa Arena! It had a cool free-roam feeling to it. Seeing this thread is making me want to pick up a copy of this game again...
 Landmaster13
11-28-2010, 1:58 AM
I have to agree, the Mos Espa Arena was pretty cool. And also, without trying to sound like a psycho when I say this, is was easier to kill everyone ln this map so long as the way was clear to the main track. Did anyone else notice that the guards in this map had a tendency to get back up and be invincible if damage was dealt to them while they were performing their dying animation? I would panic so much when I killed one in the 7-Gee lounge and it got back up again! :O That's why I would use my lightsabre and swing once, move back and repeat that pattern. That sorted them right out. That was a bit of a ramble wasn't it?
 Alexrd
11-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Here are some screens I took from Gardens of Theed (I was going to take some more from the end of the level, but I died meanwhile... :p)

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/sonic/pt/images/1/14/Aqua2.png)

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/sonic/pt/images/f/ff/Theed1.png)

I'll post more soon...
 Jamps
11-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Gardens of Theed... I just had flashbacks of how much I hated swimming with those damn sharks!
 Alexrd
11-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Gardens of Theed... I just had flashbacks of how much I hated swimming with those damn sharks!

I had more problems with them in the Swamps of Naboo.
 Landmaster13
12-06-2010, 1:54 AM
I suppose the only reason Swamps of Naboo is a memorable level to me is because back in 1999 I walked in on my Dad playing it. It was also my first encounter with Star Wars to tell the truth. Anyways, i'll try to get a few more screens from Mos Espa some time in the near future.
 Alexrd
12-06-2010, 8:59 AM
I like Swamps of Naboo. It was the only level where I tried to clean it from any droids. I always ended up dying on that stationary transport in the middle of the forest. Lots of droids there...
 JoesGuy
03-06-2011, 8:05 AM
Mos Espa Arena. Much like the previous level, only you can get away with murder. >=D
 Pho3nix
03-06-2011, 9:50 AM
I will always have a special place in my heart for the Mos Espa level.
 Alexrd
03-06-2011, 5:00 PM
Mos Espa always gave me the feeling of a Star Wars sandbox game.
 JoesGuy
03-06-2011, 6:14 PM
PUN! =D
 Landmaster13
03-13-2011, 6:18 PM
PUN! =D

OH! I get it! Clever!
 Alexrd
03-13-2011, 6:39 PM
No pun intended. :p
 florida
03-26-2011, 1:15 PM
I never enjoyed the swamps level. Too many tricky jumps and I just didn't like the feel of it, for some reason.

Escape from Theed and the game's final two levels are great for action.

Otah Gunga is cool because you can kill lots of gungans and it doesn't matter!

Coruscant is also good, as long as you play as a jedi.

Mos Espa and the podrace - now you're talking! Best two levels of the game - real sense of freedom and the chance to go completely crazy!
 Alexrd
03-27-2011, 8:37 AM
Which level have you voted for?
 florida
03-27-2011, 9:40 AM
Mos Espa. If I had to choose one level to play, that'd be the one.
 Alexrd
03-27-2011, 12:48 PM
You can vote for it on the poll above. ;)
 Redwing
03-27-2011, 5:27 PM
Man, it's been so long I hardly remember. I loved most of it, frankly.

Espa is the level I remember most, though, besides the first level (because I played the demo a trillion times). I also really liked the swamp creatures running about.

Least favorite had to be the anticlimactic final battle tied with Otoh Gunga Jumping Puzzle of Doom. (I used slowmo every time I got there.)
 Alexrd
03-27-2011, 5:59 PM
Otoh Gunga Jumping Puzzle of Doom.

To me, that was the worst part of the game. Nowadays I can pass that part easily, but back then it was (somehow) hard as hell.
 Redwing
03-28-2011, 12:40 AM
To me, that was the worst part of the game. Nowadays I can pass that part easily, but back then it was (somehow) hard as hell.

One of the devs who used to post here - Zanzibar, IIRC - told us that the game got bad reviews overall because of that puzzle. Almost none of the reviewers were able to pass that level... and, of course, it was only the third level.

The worst part is that the puzzle was that bad because the devs were forced to rush it out the door to coincide with the film release. Which sucked.
 Alexrd
03-28-2011, 1:19 PM
One of the devs who used to post here - Zanzibar, IIRC - told us that the game got bad reviews overall because of that puzzle. Almost none of the reviewers were able to pass that level... and, of course, it was only the third level.

Yes, I've read that. Which is sad, since one should only review a game if (s)he had played it until the end.

I wish Zanzibar would be back here again...
 Landmaster13
03-31-2011, 1:37 AM
I have to say I don't know why that puzzle got so much jip from the critics, and you're entirely right. It's not fair to judge the whole game due to a single jump sequence being a bitch to complete if you havent had a lot of practice.
 Redwing
04-04-2011, 12:42 AM
I have to say I don't know why that puzzle got so much jip from the critics, and you're entirely right. It's not fair to judge the whole game due to a single jump sequence being a bitch to complete if you havent had a lot of practice.

Well, because none of them did complete it. And their frustration affected their reviews.

Shame, really - TPM would've been a great game if it wasn't forced out the door, and it already was a good game.
 Alexrd
04-04-2011, 5:56 AM
Well, because none of them did complete it. And their frustration affected their reviews.

That's not right. It was hard, yes, but even a kid could pass that part. And a review should be about the whole game, not two and a half levels. Besides, maybe those plataforms were meant to be hard.

Shame, really - TPM would've been a great game if it wasn't forced out the door, and it already was a good game.

Indeed. Everytime I remember the cut material (STAP, Gungan battle, etc)... :(
 Redwing
04-11-2011, 6:21 PM
That's not right. It was hard, yes, but even a kid could pass that part. And a review should be about the whole game, not two and a half levels. Besides, maybe those plataforms were meant to be hard.

Indeed. Everytime I remember the cut material (STAP, Gungan battle, etc)... :(

True, a kid could pass it... but for someone who doesn't have really sharp reflexes, it could take a long damn time. (Remember how the platforms took forever to rise up again?) Most reviewers were like '**** this'. If I recall correctly they weren't meant to be that hard.

Also, yeah. Man, the STAP would have been awesome...
 Alexrd
04-11-2011, 7:03 PM
True, a kid could pass it... but for someone who doesn't have really sharp reflexes, it could take a long damn time. (Remember how the platforms took forever to rise up again?) Most reviewers were like '**** this'. If I recall correctly they weren't meant to be that hard.

Yes, I understand the frustation (I've wasted a lot of time on that part). What I'm criticizing is how they judge a game based on a hard plataform section.

Also, yeah. Man, the STAP would have been awesome...

Indeed, it would. STAP, AAT, Naboo Core level...
 Landmaster13
04-12-2011, 1:04 AM
Yet again the bane of games had struck...time constraints. Well, at least we can alway dream of what could have been.
 bulsey86
06-27-2011, 6:23 PM
I loved Mos Espa - it always seemed like there was so much to do and so many ways to do it. I had a different experience every time I played it.

I always remember Tomo's mother (the boy kidnapped by Captian Neg) sinking into the ground any time I spoke to her. TPM has legendary graphical glitches!
 Alexrd
06-27-2011, 7:02 PM
I always remember Tomo's mother (the boy kidnapped by Captian Neg) sinking into the ground any time I spoke to her. TPM has legendary graphical glitches!

Ah, I thought I was the only one who had that glitch. It was either him or his mother, sinking into the ground.

By the way, feel free to post some pictures of your favourite places of the game.
 bulsey86
06-28-2011, 4:38 AM
A few snaps of my favourite level.

Bad idea to sit on quicksand:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11015337/WMAIN1.jpg)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11015337/WMAIN2.jpg)
 Alexrd
06-28-2011, 7:18 AM
I see you don't have shadows. I can't have them either, nor laser/blaster marks. Hope to find a way to activate them...
 bulsey86
06-28-2011, 1:45 PM
I see you don't have shadows. I can't have them either, nor laser/blaster marks. Hope to find a way to activate them...

Yeah - I've tried everything to sort them but it seems impossible on Windows 7. To be fair I have a 'retro' system I occasionally used to run legacy games so running them on 7 wasn't originally a huge issue, however the hassle of constant cable swapping for the sake of a few games was getting to me.

I'm going to try a glide wrapper, so hopefully that might help out with texture issues and the like. I've also got a voodoo 2 in the retro system so I could stick that in the 7 system and see how that goes. I'll post pictures if I have any success.

It would be great if a program like VMWare supported 3D acceleration for operating systems pre-XP. It would solve a huge amount of problems!
 Landmaster13
08-13-2011, 5:53 AM
Yeah - I've tried everything to sort them but it seems impossible on Windows 7. To be fair I have a 'retro' system I occasionally used to run legacy games so running them on 7 wasn't originally a huge issue, however the hassle of constant cable swapping for the sake of a few games was getting to me.

Hold on lads, the correct graphics seem to work on my system, and mine is a laptop with Windows 7...? Maybe it depends on the graphics card?
 Alexrd
08-13-2011, 6:05 AM
Hold on lads, the correct graphics seem to work on my system, and mine is a laptop with Windows 7...? Maybe it depends on the graphics card?

Do you have shadows, and blaster/saber marks on walls?
 Wildstar
08-13-2011, 11:01 AM
It would be great if a program like VMWare supported 3D acceleration for operating systems pre-XP. It would solve a huge amount of problems!

WINE certainly does, and many Linux distros can now be installed on a USB thumb drive, and possibly the game, too. :)
 Landmaster13
08-15-2011, 2:49 AM
Do you have shadows, and blaster/saber marks on walls?

Sure does. Water ripples, blaster marks, (the good quality ones) lighsabre slice marks and I think shadows. If you need pictures for proof then just ask.
Page: 1 of 2