Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Drewton's Skins

Page: 3 of 3
 Drewton
09-21-2011, 5:59 PM
If you ever feel the need to flex those new CS5 muscles, you can always release a TSLMIM part 2 anytime you like ;)

Heh...going through all these textures and testing them out in KotOR II again, I kind of feel inspired to, but to be honest I've been doing a lot of testing with the first KotOR and thinking there's better modding opportunities there.

You might want to try a different outlet considering KOTORFiles has been down for awhile...

or well not down, but no new files seem to ever show on the network. If possible, a filehosting website would be better - or you could always try out the DeadlyStream forums.

Yeah, I'm hopefully going to have it up on Deadly Stream and ModDB at least.
 jonathan7
09-21-2011, 6:18 PM
Great to hear your releasing this Drewton, and great to see you around again! :) Some great work there! Interested to see what you've done with the Telos skybox...

You might want to try a different outlet considering KOTORFiles has been down for awhile...

Two of the three severs are down, so you have to refresh several times otherwise the site defaults back to March sometime. Download links have also been sporadically down over the last month as and when I've checked; Our staff log-ins don't work; So we have to use a central admin account...

All of which is to say, for me at least the above doesn't encourage me to be massively enthusiastic over uploading mods when things often go wrong for me when trying to review a mod Or when trying to get Revenge of Revan up it's proven impossible; every method I can think of doesn't work, and even if I did, downloads may not work, and it would only show up on on server.

Normally I wouldn't post this in public, but while I think DI and Shem are awesome, and wouldn't want to upset them, the higher ups at filefront, well lets just say that's a different story.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
09-21-2011, 6:19 PM
Film project?

I like film projects :D

Hope you are doing well Drewton, and glad you have come back around! If your production needs a gaffer..... I am ready to go international :p
 Phildevil
09-22-2011, 8:42 AM
Does that mean we'll also get the awesome game menus you did?
 VarsityPuppet
09-22-2011, 9:46 AM
I agree with Phil. Well... I mean.. I second his question... to which... er...

Let's put it this way: You could release any and/or every skin in this WIP here and we'd be happy forever and ever. :D
 Drewton
09-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Film project?

I like film projects :D

Hope you are doing well Drewton, and glad you have come back around! If your production needs a gaffer..... I am ready to go international :p

LOL, thanks man. I've spent over $2000 on it so far, hoping it will be pretty groundbreaking for a fanfilm.

Does that mean we'll also get the awesome game menus you did?

Yes, the launcher and main menu will be featured, although minus silver buttons! :)

I agree with Phil. Well... I mean.. I second his question... to which... er...

Let's put it this way: You could release any and/or every skin in this WIP here and we'd be happy forever and ever. :D

Thanks Varsity! Your own mods are awesome. I've used them for a while.

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up too high, so I'll just say prepare to be disappointed. Most of the reskins didn't go beyond the concept stage and even reskins like Darth Sion are a mess. The Sith Lords...not so massive improvement mod. The best part of the mod will be Peragus probably.

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/13/12870/peragus_commandcenter_window.jpg)
 Phildevil
09-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Dammit! There are so much peragus reskins it becomes hard to choose lol. What with Canderis's darker Peragus, and both of Xarwarz's reskins.
 VarsityPuppet
09-22-2011, 11:56 AM
I don't want to get anyone's hopes up too high, so I'll just say prepare to be disappointed. Most of the reskins didn't go beyond the concept stage and even reskins like Darth Sion are a mess. The Sith Lords...not so massive improvement mod. The best part of the mod will be Peragus probably

Well, I already plan to add a shoulder pad and those implants into Sion, so.. with your permission, I may have to make some minor adjustments to that skin... with your permission of course ;)
 Drewton
09-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Of course. That was always something I always wanted to add but could never do myself.

Also, just doing some testing with KotOR 1...

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/9501/mainmenuh.jpg)

EDIT: Okay, so I forgot to copy the shiny TXI file over for one texture on Nar Shaddaa. But the semi-transparent effect was kind of cool. :P

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2681/tslmimtransparent.jpg)

On another note, it was extremely hard to make that place look good and one of the reasons I gave up. Same texture used for the walls and floors in nearly every part of Nar Shaddaa.

I am definitely getting back into modding.
 redrob41
09-22-2011, 4:00 PM
Well, I already plan to add a shoulder pad and those implants into Sion, so.. with your permission, I may have to make some minor adjustments to that skin... with your permission of course ;)

I'm glad you're taking a crack at that. If I had more time, I'd try it out, just to get some more modelling practice. But, since you're on the job, I'm sure Sion's in better hands :D

I am definitely getting back into modding.

:thumbsup:
 Qui-Gon Glenn
09-22-2011, 4:08 PM
LOL, thanks man. I've spent over $2000 on it so far, hoping it will be pretty groundbreaking for a fanfilm.
In that case, here's a pro-tip:
A 4' x 4' piece of fibercore or foamcore, black on one side white on the other, which you can buy at an art supply or even some Target stores, can be your best lighting friend.

It is used to "bounce" light. We call it a bounce, in this case a 4x4 bounce, and might cost $5. I know your budget is tight, but this can help you with key lighting, as well as just taking your level up enough stop in some spots to help you out lens-wise.

Glad that you are sharing your goodies with the community, your skins were truly a Massive Improvement!
 Drewton
09-22-2011, 4:57 PM
In that case, here's a pro-tip:
A 4' x 4' piece of fibercore or foamcore, black on one side white on the other, which you can buy at an art supply or even some Target stores, can be your best lighting friend.

It is used to "bounce" light. We call it a bounce, in this case a 4x4 bounce, and might cost $5. I know your budget is tight, but this can help you with key lighting, as well as just taking your level up enough stop in some spots to help you out lens-wise.

Glad that you are sharing your goodies with the community, your skins were truly a Massive Improvement!

Thanks a lot for the tip, I'll definitely try this. I'm trying a lot of dynamic lighting and also to have as little post-color grading as possible. And I already use foamcore for sets. So I take it you want to become a professional film gaffer?

This is weird...testing out the Telos polar plateau and the "Frame Buffer" effect seems to automatically add a blue glow to the snow and the skybox. It would be a nice effect but it gets way too extreme. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to fix this.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2944/framebuffer.jpg)

The "square" of snow on the right also shows how lo-res it used to be in comparison (it will be fixed for release).
 Qui-Gon Glenn
09-22-2011, 5:03 PM
Thanks a lot for the tip, I'll definitely try this. I'm trying a lot of dynamic lighting and also to have as little post-color grading as possible. And I already use foamcore for sets. So do you want to become a professional film gaffer?See my IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3897098/). Lighting is how I make my cheese :)

The difference in the quality of snow texture on the image on the right is remarkable, as is the clarity and quality of the mountainscape in the background. The frame buffer effect is unfortunate, and may indeed be out of your control, unless it can be controlled by a .2da tweak somewhere?
 VarsityPuppet
09-22-2011, 5:39 PM
I'm glad you're taking a crack at that. If I had more time, I'd try it out, just to get some more modelling practice. But, since you're on the job, I'm sure Sion's in better hands

What are you talking about? You should know that wherever I start working on a new model, I'm always going to need someone to make a skin.... *hint hint*

As for that blue glow, I think it happens when you have an area of the texture that is too white. I remember making something super white in the xbox version and it had that same blue glow. (I mention the xbox version only because it has the pixel shading effects, my PC's graphics card won't render it).

So yeah, I don't know it darkening those really white areas will help or not, but it's worth a shot.
 Canderis
09-22-2011, 7:12 PM
About your issue with floors and walls using the same textures, i can teach you how to add more textures to an existing model. If your interested.
 Drewton
09-22-2011, 7:21 PM
See my IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3897098/). Lighting is how I make my cheese :)

Woah. That's awesome.

If I become a director like I hope to I'll definitely get you a job for my films. :thmbup1:

As for that blue glow, I think it happens when you have an area of the texture that is too white. I remember making something super white in the xbox version and it had that same blue glow. (I mention the xbox version only because it has the pixel shading effects, my PC's graphics card won't render it).

So yeah, I don't know it darkening those really white areas will help or not, but it's worth a shot.

Yeah, you're right. I'll give it a try, although I don't want to ruin it by making it too dark.

About your issue with floors and walls using the same textures, i can teach you how to add more textures to an existing model. If your interested.

That would be a HUGE help!

Working on some more KotOR reskinning right now as well as the Darth Sion skin. It looks great in combat, but terrible in cutscenes. The low close-up camera angle used for Sion isn't very forgiving.
 Rinku
09-22-2011, 8:22 PM
YES!!!! It is so nice to see you back here.

I'm really excited for the KotOR stuff. I have seen all of you other work so I know that the KotOR reskinning will be awesome.
 Darth InSidious
09-23-2011, 6:41 PM
Nice to see you around, Drewton!

If I can ask, how far did you get with your GUI edits? I seem to remember when this mod was new-ish you were working on changing the health/FP metres, and suchlike.
 Drewton
10-12-2011, 2:45 PM
Hey, sorry it's been a couple of weeks everyone. My sister was visiting from the US (I live in Canada).

Anyway, back to filming and modding now. I'm almost done a hi-res redo of the Darth Sion skin...a massive improvement. ;)
 Canderis
10-12-2011, 4:59 PM
Even better than before? I can't wait to see it!
 TimBob12
10-12-2011, 5:12 PM
I'm amazed that I have never come accross this thread before.

There is some truly amazing stuff here.
 90SK
10-16-2011, 7:10 PM
I want your Sion skin. Badly. :3
 Drewton
10-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Almost finished Sion - still needs some polishing in a few places, but what was REALLY missing before, the shoulderpad, the "skirts", and even the bolts, have all been added to the model by Darth DeadMan and it's awesome.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4803/darthsiontfukotor.jpg)
 CptPriceless
10-29-2011, 1:04 PM
AMAZING MAN :O
 Scorge
10-29-2011, 1:36 PM
Looks awesome! Keep up the good work
 LDR
10-29-2011, 2:16 PM
...That looks perfect! Keep it up! :thmbup1:
 VarsityPuppet
10-29-2011, 2:58 PM
Congrats Deadman! If you guys had left it up to me, it could have been awhile til it was done.

Can't wait!
 Ghost Down
10-30-2011, 1:26 PM
Now how about changing Sion in the .bik movies to your much more awesome looking Sion?
 Drewton
10-30-2011, 2:26 PM
Nice to see you around, Drewton!

If I can ask, how far did you get with your GUI edits? I seem to remember when this mod was new-ish you were working on changing the health/FP metres, and suchlike.
Looks like I missed your question!

Unfortunately, I got no where. It was only a concept. I tried a lot of tweaking but couldn't get it to work.

Now how about changing Sion in the .bik movies to your much more awesome looking Sion?

Yes, the BIK will be updated, but also using reskins for Traya, Nihilus, and the Trayus Core.
 Rtas Vadum
10-30-2011, 2:52 PM
Yes, the BIK will be updated, but also using reskins for Traya, Nihilus, and the Trayus Core.

Not that it is a bad idea, but TSLRCM makes the "Kreia's Fall" movie into a in-game cutscene, so any textures currently used in game(and models, in the case of Sion, I'd imagine), will be shown in the scene.

Though again, that doesn't mean it is a bad idea.
 Ghost Down
10-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Yeah, but the introduction scene of Sion on Peragus is also a .bik file, so that would need updating/replacing also.
 Sith Holocron
10-31-2011, 3:15 PM
Actually Ghost Down, the new version of TSLRCM - version 1.8 – will have Sion’s first appearance on the bridge of Harbinger as a game-engine created scene and not a BIK file.

See the first 50 seconds of this video for an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nreD_oOHiXE)
(Please note that the music change heard in the video is part of a separate mod released by Canderis. In the standard game using TSLRCM 1.8, it's the same music as usual.)
 Slstoev
11-01-2011, 2:43 AM
SH can you reupload the video because I can't see it?
 Sith Holocron
11-01-2011, 8:24 AM
SH can you reupload the video because I can't see it?

I've done that for you. Not sure what happened there. Check my previous post in this thread for the updated link.
 Drewton
11-01-2011, 11:28 AM
I'll probably still make the BIK files for those who don't have TSLRCM.

Got the flu, so I'm taking a few sick days to work on modding. Right now I'm also reskinning Nihilus, Atris, and Kreia - hopefully I can have some results to show soon.
 Quanon
11-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Mmm, Sion looks pretty neat, though the contrast on the black cloth/ leather bits seems a bit "strong" or cartoony even. Not sure if it's just the screenshot or the lighting in that particular area of the game.

Though you did mention polishing the skin, so that might be one of the last thing you want to fix :p
Anyway, as always top notch work!
 Drewton
11-01-2011, 1:29 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean, really crushed blacks, but I only upped the contrast in the screenshot. There's a lot more detail in the texture.
 Sith Holocron
11-01-2011, 2:12 PM
Drewton, there is another BIK you'll likely have to make - in addition to any Sion clips that you redo. That would be MalMov14 - the one that pans back from the Trayus Core. I've posted it here so you know which one I'm babbling about. (I've removed most of the credits too in order to shorten it.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZaTYjjr_nM)

Since you remade the skins for this area, they should be shown off in the video too.
 Drewton
11-01-2011, 3:15 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure how I'll do that yet. I'll either have to rerender it, or fix it in AfterEffects.

I really hope I could get those cutscenes to be HD in-game.
 redrob41
11-01-2011, 5:39 PM
That Sion model looks great! Congrats on getting the shoulder pad and the waist capes working in-game. The only thing I can see as distracting is the seam on the neck where it meets the upper body; the muscle texture doesn't quite match up.
 Drewton
11-02-2011, 6:13 PM
Thanks! Although all credit for the modelling goes to Deadman. The neck is definitely another thing that will need fixing.

Would anyone be willing to edit the UV map for Nihilus's body model so that both sides can be textured separately?
 Q
11-04-2011, 2:18 AM
It's good to see that you're still active.

Your skins are first rate! :thumbsup:
 JediRevan001
09-01-2012, 8:51 AM
Is it possible that you could release your Darth Sion re-skin anytime soon? I would really like to have it before I start my next playthrough of TSL.
 Christos K
09-01-2012, 2:16 PM
I think Drewton left the modding scene a while ago.
 Gatherum
09-01-2012, 4:21 PM
^ Unfortunately, this does seem to be the case. It's a shame: once upon a time, I was eagerly looking forward to his Massive Improvement Mod.

Ahh well. Probably better things happening in his life these days. One would hope, at least.
 Shaggoth
09-02-2012, 4:02 AM
will you redo some of those for k1? i'd be happy to use them :)
 Sith Holocron
09-02-2012, 4:19 AM
Is it possible that you could release your Darth Sion re-skin anytime soon? I would really like to have it before I start my next playthrough of TSL.

Modder's Resource: TFU-Style Darth Sion (http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/172-modders-resourse-tfu-style-darth-sion-model/)

Before you get excited, read the fine print. This is from Darth DeadMan . . .

Not SO long ago, Don Kain asked me to edit Sion model to look like his TFU skin. I added flaps and bolts to the model, modeled pauldron. He was going to make the actual skin for it (I almost didn't worked on the textures), but his mod was never released.
After that, Drewton asked my permission to use this model in his Sion reskin. I allowed that, but his mod too was not released.
So I release this model as a modder's resource. Use it as you like, just give credit to me.

Known issuises:
It's possible, that his flaps will not be animated in some cutscenes. I never really tested, so it's up to you to find out.

This mod is not suppored by LucasArts, BioWare, Obsidian and ME. I don't plan to work on this model anymore, so don't contact me if something is wrong. I release it 'as is', use at your own risk. gMax scene is included so you can fix everything yourself. If you can't - I don't care.

(Emphasis added.)
 JediRevan001
09-24-2012, 5:27 AM
Modder's Resource: TFU-Style Darth Sion (http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/172-modders-resourse-tfu-style-darth-sion-model/)

Before you get excited, read the fine print. This is from Darth DeadMan . . .

(Emphasis added.)

I already have that mod, I was asking for Drewton's reskin
Page: 3 of 3