Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New Area Kit

Page: 1 of 1
 Sithspecter
05-15-2008, 6:03 PM
It's come to my attention recently and it's crossed my mind before that Quanon's new area tutorial is outdated. He even says so himself, so I've decided to create a new tutorial that includes helpful resources and shows how to scratch build a new area, add area effects (grass, sunlight, snow, .etc) set up your module file, and get it into KotOR. I will include an NWNWalkMaterial, tips on walkmesh making, how to add lighting to your area, and how to set up a layout file. I would like to know who wants this and what else you would want in it. So you can ask, and I'll try to make a tutorial that will be a more complete and smooted version of Quanon's original tutorial. It will not only be a tutorial, but it will include helpful resources in modelling an area.
 xrefusex
05-15-2008, 9:37 PM
Very neat idea!

I think information on how to intergrate your new module into the game would be helpful (linking doors with 'new' modules etc...), as well as perhaps a guide on how to use elements from game's maps (like statues, the ebon hawk, crystal formations, etc...) in custom modules, assuming that's possible and legal.
 Sithspecter
05-15-2008, 9:41 PM
I could do a renfrence page also like you mentioned that has the Ebon Hawk and such in it. And yes, it's legal.

One question thought, when you say linking doors, what do you mean?
 Da_Man_2423
05-15-2008, 10:00 PM
So that once you "enter" a door, it warps/you can go into your new area/module. I think that's what xrefusex meant.
 Sithspecter
05-15-2008, 10:16 PM
That's actually a trigger/door setting, but I might cover it anyway.
 Robespierre
05-16-2008, 1:12 AM
Well Quanon's guide is very presumptuous about previous skills. Perhaps you could do a simple "make a room" tutorial? So just a simple tutorial how to make a simple box room with a door, texture it and then add it in game. And then maybe some scripting like how to spawn a person in there - though that's more scripting.
 settoken
05-16-2008, 8:46 AM
Nice idea !
be sure to illustrate your tut
Pictures are very helpful to understand and make your paper more readable
Much respect to you
 Sithspecter
05-16-2008, 9:10 AM
I got to working on it, and I'm including LOTS of pictures. I'm not just going to cover how to get your model into KotOR, but I'm doing how to model some of the stuff as well. I'm showing you how to model a simple hallway with correct scaling.
 harIII
05-16-2008, 9:26 AM
I'd like to see a detailed description of every option available so that there won't be any questions to ask.
Topics:
Item Creation
Character Modeling
NPC/Placeable placement
How to create an entirely new module
 Robespierre
05-16-2008, 10:26 AM
You mean...a definition of what all those things are? Okay...

Item creation - There are two types here. One is copying an existing item model, changing the attributes, description, etc, and sticking it in game. For example; a new datapad, a buffed sword or a grenade. The second is to create a totally new item model and put it in game. Such as, a mini-gun (see sithspecter's thread for that particular piece of awesomeness :D) or a lightsaber. If you do a little search, you will find a few tutorials on this.

Character Modelling - I think this generally this means a reskin of an existing character model, but I could be wrong. There may also be something about taking existing skeletons and changing their heads, bodies, etc, though you can't create entirely new skeletons (ie, completely new species), since the animations don't exist. There are plenty of tutorials on this particular topic.

NPC/Placeable placement - A script done in K1 with the "whereami" console tool or in K2 with the "whereami" armband. Basically, you get the coordinates using one of the aforementioned methods, get your NPC .utc and put the spawn function in a .nss file and compile. Placeables are a similar affair, I believe. There are ample tutorials on them.

New modules - There are two types of module "creation". One is to take an existing module and add new textures, thus creating the idea of a "new" module. However, this has the same structure (obviously) as the original module, it just looks slightly different. See the Coruscant mod for an example of where this is used. And then there is the new art of "module creation". Only three modders have been able to employ this to achieve good results: Quanon, sithspecter and GCCC (or was it one less "C", I can't remember), now known as Doc Valentine. Its a new art, hence why sithspecter is making a tutorial about it.
 Exile007
05-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Looks like a neat idea SS! I've always tried to create new areas, but the textures are always stretched, or the game crashes. :xp:
 Papership
05-16-2008, 1:14 PM
Yes please! One issue that made me give up on room reskinning was how tricky it is with the hex editing <.< I tried to reskin just the external of the ebon hawk within a module. It looked great except that all the silver metally bits didn't load, so it was the right colour, but half seethrough!

So a dummies guide to hex editing and light mapping and how not to screw up would be sweet <.<

Thanks for this - you're a hero!
~Pappy~
 Quanon
05-16-2008, 2:29 PM
All the silver metally bits didn't load, so it was the right colour, but half seethrough!

That might be because you didn't create a TXI file stating that the Alpha channel is to be used for the blingbling.

Else the game just reads the alpha channel as "seethrough".

Well Quanon's guide is very presumptuous about previous skills.

Indeed, it was done pretty fast and its only the bare basics needed to get a room in the game.

I always wanted to redo or do another one, but hey... other projects and life occupied a great deal of my time.

Though I'm glad SS is willing to do a new and more in depth Tutorial on it.

On a general note things like Item creation and NPC creating is extensively doen in other tutorials, really I don't see the point why SS would have to on on that subject.

Though I hope if some of you feel the desire to model or do some work in 3D is to broaden your search beyond this bord.
Use the internet and google to the max, you'll see that there a lot of forums just on 3D.

Plus you'll soon realize that me or SS are NOT that "super beiings" in 3D.(Though that awesome Mini-Gun prooves SS gots what it takes ;) )
Anyway, I know the enthousiasme and dreamy fantasies of first time modders, we've all been there :p

I just play the old classic rant of take it slow and do an effort to use the Search funtion on the HL boards.( Though the Search function is taken off now and then. I guess it has to do with maintenance on the server thingys or of that sorts.)

You'll see that theres are lots of old threads dealing with the same problems you might have :)

[/Ends rant mode]

But well, I'll let SS decide what to do in his tutorial.
NVM my bullocks.
 DarthRevan243
05-16-2008, 2:41 PM
Yes, Quanons was very scetchy on the details. PLease make it very specivic SS because some are just going to go :bang:
 Marius Fett
05-16-2008, 5:06 PM
This will be very useful SS.

I'm interested in making some new areas so i'll definitely download when it's done. :)
 Sithspecter
05-17-2008, 3:49 PM
I'm also going to give basic area modeling tips and how to keep a low poly design.
 TriggerGod
05-17-2008, 3:54 PM
Maybe after its done, and someone has enough experience with it, maybe DDD would be willing to upload a video on it :D
:nod: :naughty:
 Sithspecter
05-17-2008, 3:55 PM
I'd be WAY too long for a video.
 TriggerGod
05-17-2008, 3:56 PM
Yeah, but It'd be a split video, like Quanon's UVMapping vid-tut.
 Sithspecter
05-17-2008, 3:59 PM
Hmmm... 47 part video....

Just kiddin.'

Edit: Well, it's going to be more than just a tutorial. It'll have resources and lists also.
 TriggerGod
05-17-2008, 4:05 PM
True.
But if its as long as you say it is, then it might be 5, 6 at most (maybe 7 :xp: )
 Darth InSidious
05-17-2008, 4:16 PM
I'm already working on a module editing tutorial covering most of the .mod file-relevant things you are intending to cover.
 Sithspecter
05-17-2008, 6:38 PM
I might still do that anyway, just to have another reference, but I'm sure yours will be better.
 Darth InSidious
05-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Given that I'm ~6000 words in, I'm not sure it's worth the job-duplication.
 Doc Valentine
05-18-2008, 4:08 PM
Maybe you could link Darth InSidious's tutorial in yours, and just say "See Darth InSidious' tutorial on how to do XYZ" sort of thing. You just want to be careful around here, some people might think you are trying to re-invent the wheel ;). As far as all the other parts, you have my full support bud. It will be great to have one of these tutorials out there for people to check out.

-Doc
 EnderWiggin
05-18-2008, 4:11 PM
Given that I'm ~6000 words in, I'm not sure it's worth the job-duplication.

DI:
How close to being finished do you think you are?

Can we expect this to come out soon?

_EW_
 Darth InSidious
05-18-2008, 4:20 PM
DI:
How close to being finished do you think you are?

Can we expect this to come out soon?

_EW_

A good question. I'm about midway through the .ARE file, although I'm having to do a lot of research for most of this stuff - there's nothing on huge swathes of stuff in the .are/.ifo/.git files. I've covered (somewhat exhaustively) all the .ut* editing, some basic scripting and dialogue editing, and will be moving on to the data inputting for the .git file and .mod compilation later on.

All-in-all, I can't give a particularly good estimate - if you mean if it will be out in the next few days, chances are it won't be. If you're asking more generally, I'd hope within the next few months.

Sorry I can't be more accurate. :(
 Marius Fett
05-18-2008, 4:25 PM
A good question. I'm about midway through the .ARE file, although I'm having to do a lot of research for most of this stuff - there's nothing on huge swathes of stuff in the .are/.ifo/.git files. I've covered (somewhat exhaustively) all the .ut* editing, some basic scripting and dialogue editing, and will be moving on to the data inputting for the .git file and .mod compilation later on.

All-in-all, I can't give a particularly good estimate - if you mean if it will be out in the next few days, chances are it won't be. If you're asking more generally, I'd hope within the next few months.

Sorry I can't be more accurate. :(

And how many pages long is this tutorial exactly DI?
 Fiestainabox
05-18-2008, 4:32 PM
Really, it doesn't matter who does it, Re skinning modules has always perplexed me, so I could use all the help I could get. Plus, every one explains things differently, so having two different viewpoints would be mint. Also, the Modeling section would be wonderful, Modeling makes me wanna bang my head into the wall violently, if you made a tutorial for it, I could use a fridge instead :)
 Darth InSidious
05-18-2008, 4:51 PM
Actually, Nutter, there's already a tut on reskinning modules already: http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=175101).

@Valentine: Spot on. Personally, I don't understand the need for fourteen tutorials covering the same basic topics...

@DingDong: 35. Expect that number to be revised upwards, though. :p
 Marius Fett
05-18-2008, 5:12 PM
Actually, Nutter, there's already a tut on reskinning modules already: http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=175101).

@Valentine: Spot on. Personally, I don't understand the need for fourteen tutorials covering the same basic topics...

@DingDong: 35. Expect that number to be revised upwards, though. :p

You've yet to beat my record then... :p

Speaking of which, I have to finish that off someday...
 Quanon
05-18-2008, 5:18 PM
Not to mention if people would use the search function of LF board, they would see there like +100 threads about most of the regular modding topics here on Holowan Labs.

Though I'll admit on the 3D part its ofcourse less and perhaps a boost on that part could be usefull.

Anyway, looking forward to your tut DI, it'll be surely a supreme read.

Ofcourse in combination with SS's work on the 3D this could become a killer combo.
 DarthStoney
05-21-2008, 6:06 PM
I'm also going to give basic area modeling tips and how to keep a low poly design.

Will this include making and editing walkmeshes?
 Revan_Pwn_Malak
05-22-2008, 2:15 AM
Personally I think both of you should write a tutorial (if you have time and what not). I for one find it helpful to have at least two references in case one isn't exactly clear. That's just my input, it's really up to each of of you as individuals. All I know is I'd like an in depth tut on making new modules.
 Sithspecter
05-22-2008, 9:20 AM
Personally I think both of you should write a tutorial (if you have time and what not). I for one find it helpful to have at least two references in case one isn't exactly clear. That's just my input, it's really up to each of of you as individuals. All I know is I'd like an in depth tut on making new modules.

Beleive me, if DarthInsidious is going to make a tutorial, it's going to be a good one. There's no need for me to do the same tutorial, only worse. This tutorial will cover modelling areas and walkmeshes, eporting with KAurora, and breifly explain putting them into the .erfs.

Will this include making and editing walkmeshes?

Yes. Maybe not so much the editing as the making.
Page: 1 of 1