Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Which console do you most want to succeed?

Page: 1 of 3
 Thrik
07-03-2006, 7:34 PM
Which console do you most want to succeed?
 TheMonsterOfTheIsland
07-03-2006, 10:40 PM
I hope that the PS3 will do alright in spite of its ghastly price because it has so many great franchises, plus I am getting one when it comes out.

However, I have to vote for the Wii because its Nintendo, and you have to love Nintendo.

Microsoft is a ravenous beast. Plus, I will always hate the X-Box for getting exclusive Battlefront II content when the PC version got jack-all squat.
 Commander Obi-Wan
07-04-2006, 1:57 AM
The Wii. I've lost my faith towards the PS3 and I don't like the XBOX.
 PoM
07-04-2006, 6:29 AM
Wii for me.
 Smon
07-04-2006, 9:47 AM
Wii is gonna win it for five reasons:

1.A significantly lower price tag-Almost $200 less than the competitors.
2.Unique gaming style-Motion detection!? OMG.
3.Downloadable classic games-Classic NES at $0.99 a pop.
4.Anyone can play it-Some kids might buy it just so they have something in common with their parents.
5.Super Smash Bros-The killer app for the Gamecube that has been on their best seller list since release will be coming to the Wii.
 popcorn2008
07-04-2006, 9:55 AM
Wii, because it just is the most unique design out of all three.
 RC-1162
07-04-2006, 12:23 PM
the Wii, because it's nintendo, and Nintendo pwns!
 Diego Varen
07-04-2006, 12:24 PM
PS3, because I like it and I have a PS2.

Xbox 360 I also hope does well, because well it's an Xbox. Great Graphics and other things.

Why does everyone love the Wii (Boo Wii), it sounds like wee and it is highly overrated. I hate Nintendo, because they love themselves. It also only focuses on young gamers, so I wouldn't get much fun out of it (I don't mind Pokemon though). Sony and Microsoft concentrate on all ages.

Go PS3 and Xbox 360!
 Thrik
07-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Not getting it because of the name? What are you, 10?

But yeah, I'm personally in support of the Wii mainly because Nintendo seems to finally be getting their first console truly right since the N64. Maybe it's the new leadership or perhaps they simply learnt from the fairly poor run of the GameCube, but things are looking up.

They have lot of third-party support from the likes of Ubisoft, EA, etc, which will result in quite a diverse line-up. Certainly not the 'kiddie' image that Nintendo is usually known for, even if I do disagree with the sentiment of the games only being suitable for younger gamers (Blue Sky campaign! (http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2005/11/blue-sky-in-games-campaign-launched.html)).

I've never really been impressed by the Xbox's game portfolio, and thus far haven't seen much of an improvement on the Xbox 360. There are some key titles overall that I'd probably enjoy, but not enough to drop the cash required at this time.

While I'd like to get a PS3 as there are some series that I'd like to play on it, the fact that it will cost Ј425 (that's around $800) to get the console and then Ј50-70 per game in the UK makes me feel more inclined to tell them to get stuffed.
 Commander Obi-Wan
07-04-2006, 1:19 PM
Why does everyone love the Wii (Boo Wii), it sounds like wee and it is highly overrated. I hate Nintendo, because they love themselves. It also only focuses on young gamers, so I wouldn't get much fun out of it (I don't mind Pokemon though). Sony and Microsoft concentrate on all ages.

Well, firstly, the Wii focuses on te younger gamers because they want to allow the young gamers to play games that are suitable to their age group. Secondly, why is everybody starting to choose the Wii? And if they cared only of themselves, why are they appealing to all ages. And lastly, I used to prefer the PS3, but they have done a poorly job on appealing to their addiences. They want to much, and many other mediocre features about. Just they have done a poor job trying to convince us to purchase it.
 Thrik
07-04-2006, 1:22 PM
LOL! Oh man, I don't normally use initialisms like that on forums, but I cannot think of anything better to summarise my opinion upon reading this article that was just posted on GameSpot:

European retailer Play.com lists 60GB PlayStation 3 with three games for 549 pounds ($1,016) (http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6152862.html?sid=6152862&cobrand=82&part=msn-gamespot&subj=gs&tag=tg_gs)

I mean, what? Clearly Sony's strategy is to prevent you from purchasing their competitor's consoles by bleeding you dry.
 scabb
07-04-2006, 4:18 PM
I went for Wii, because I'm a fan-boy and it's nice and cheap. I'll wait until it's nice and cheaper, of course - and it still has to prove itself for me, I'm still not sure how well the controller will work.

Then again, I've only really just got round to mucking about on my brothers DS, and I love it. I was a bit iffy about it working as a games console at first too, but it's quite ace and if I weren't poor I might get one. Maybe you should too!

Anyone who buys that PS3 bundle from Play is an utter git with too much money and not enough ideas in my eyes. ;D
 Lynk Former
07-04-2006, 7:12 PM
I support Wii since it's making the most effort to give me something new other than the usual graphical upgrade we get every generation.

And yet again I see another person convinced that only children play Nintendo products... well it's fine to think that but the fact is that Nintendo make a lot of general audience games, not games meant specifically for children. Nintendo also do make games for older gamers, it's just that the general trend is to ignore these. Nintendo even helps third party developers with their "mature" audience games. Remember folks, just cause it doesn't say "Mature" on the rating tag for the game, doesn't mean it's a second rate game meant for kids who don't know any better. Pikmin 2 stands just as proudly on my DVD rack as Resident Evil 4 does.

Like people have said before me, it's all about accessability. It's the entire reason why the NES, SNES, Genesis, PlayStation, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, Game Boy series and the Nintendo DS have been so popular. These consoles had a variety of games for a variety of people by a variety of developers.

And as Thrik has pointed out, it looks like anyone who is truly immature about this won't buy a Wii. So I guess anyone who is "kiddy" will avoid it altogether. Problem solved for Nintendo, only mature gamers will buy Wii. :D lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/lynk/wowsony.jpg)
 Smon
07-04-2006, 9:31 PM
To those that think Nintendo only markets to children I have three words for you: Resident Evil Zero. Plus, why would Nintendo choose a darker more realistic style for the new Zelda if they wanted it to be marketed to children?

I see the problem as Sony and Microsoft primarily marketing to hardcore gamers, while Nintendo is going for a broader audience.
 Diego Varen
07-05-2006, 1:37 AM
To those that think Nintendo only markets to children I have three words for you: Resident Evil Zero. Plus, why would Nintendo choose a darker more realistic style for the new Zelda if they wanted it to be marketed to children?

Resident Evil isn't a Nintendo game though. I think it is also on PS2.
 Smon
07-05-2006, 2:18 AM
Resident Evil 0 is.

As well as Eternal Darkness.
 Lynk Former
07-05-2006, 3:56 AM
Resident Evil isn't a Nintendo game though. I think it is also on PS2.
RE0 is GCN exclusive. The RE remake is GCN exclusive. RE4 was meant to be a GCN exclusive too but was ported over to the PS2. The original RE, RE2, RE3 and RE Code: Veronica are available for both Sony and Nintendo... Microsoft miss out unfortunately for them XD

Yup, RE isn't a Nintendo game, but it's not a Sony game either... it's made by Capcom.
 Steve-O Kreesh
07-06-2006, 9:06 AM
Xbox 360. The fact that I own one influences my decision. Plus, Sony has been on my s**t list for a while now. :D
 Master Kavar
07-06-2006, 3:49 PM
I've been seduced over to the X-Box side ever since I played Knights of the Old Republic. My hatred for Microsoft really made me want to hate the X-Box too, but damn if they didn't build one solid gaming machine.

So far I've been really pleased with the 360; the games, the gamer scores, downloading demos/trailers/full games online. I think it will still remain my over all favorite.

I really would like to see the PS3 do well; Sony has been making some questionable business descisions lately, but despite the price I want to see some of these fantastic looking next gen games it's promising. I'm all about the Hight Definition gaming now.
 urluckyday
07-06-2006, 4:27 PM
If anyone calls Microsoft a beast...take a look at sony...they stole motion sensitivity from Nintendo...Micrsoft and Nintendo are 10 times better than Sony in all fronts of gaming...good bye PS3 have fun with Sega Saturn and Virtual Boy (everyone makes mistakes...even Nintendo) in console wasteland!!!!
 urluckyday
07-06-2006, 4:31 PM
Yup, RE isn't a Nintendo game, but it's not a Sony game either... it's made by Capcom.

Not to mention that in an interview with RE 4's creator, the man said he wasn't happy that it was moving to PS2.
 Lynk Former
07-07-2006, 2:45 AM
@ legowar: While Sony did try to steal Nintendo's thunder, the technology they "stole" is actually pretty widely used and isn't anything big. Remember Kirby's Tilt and Tumble and that motion sensetive gamepad Microsoft released a long time ago? That's wha the PS3 controller is. The Wiimote on the other hand uses different technology and at the same time can do more. To add to that, supporters of Sony better hope that they can at least get the motion sensative part of the controller to work properly cause every video of Warhawk being played at E3 2006 shows that it has what looks like SERIOUS lag issues.

XD It's good that you don't see the Dreamcast as a failure, but the Saturn did have NIGHTS.

And as for Shinji Mikami, the creator of Resident Evil, among other things... he hasn't been happy with Sony at all in the last few years, since the days of the N64 in fact. RE0 was originally. From what I hear Sony started to show its true colours right around this time as it started threatening developers who did things they didn't like. Much like Nintendo did back in the old days. But Mikami-san didn't stand for any of that bull****. It was his series, but he didn't own Capcom, so for a time he got as much of Resident Evil onto the GameCube... but of course he still couldn't stop Capcom from porting RE4 over to the PS2.

I'd like to remind people that Shinji Mikami said that he would cut his own head off if a Resident Evil game made it back onto the PlayStation... Shinji... I don't see any heads rolling :dozey:

But RE isn't lost forever for Nintendo, apparantly there's gonna be a Wii version, hopefully it's not gonna be some lightgun shooter type game. I want the kind of gameplay you got from RE4, now THAT rocked (besides some of its downsides).
 DarthMuffin
07-08-2006, 1:18 PM
Wii all the way. Even though I'm probably not buying any of those consoles.

I never liked Sony and their PS. When the first one came out and everyone was like "omg!", I was happy with my SNES. Even when the universe nearly colapsed when a little game named Final fantasy VII came out, I was happy with my SNES. The PS3 price also looks outrageous.

For the XBOX, I have mixed feelings. I'm a tad pissed because they got the KotORs before the PC, but that's pretty much it. And I'm one of the few who actually like Microsoft. They might be a "monster", but windows always worked for me. So really, as long as windows works, I don't see why I should "hate them" for being a huge company and all.

Nintendo has the best titles too, in my opinion. Zelda, Metroid... and you just know you can't go wrong with mario and all its spinoffs. If I ever buy another console, it's going to be from Nintendo.
 slornie
07-10-2006, 8:13 AM
I voted for the PS3... i dont like the xbox because i think the controllers are awful and you need a HD TV to get the most out of it... the wii looks innovative and original, but that doesnt appeal to me as there are no games that i like for it... the PS3 looks to have a good design, is backward compatible with my PS2 games, has a controller thatI am used to the style of... alright it is rather expensive... i'll probably wait a year or two for it to come down... and the games are expensive... but they are blu ray... and you cant forget that the console comes with a built in Blu Ray drive... where the xbox users will have to fork out in the future for a HDDVD...
 Lynk Former
07-10-2006, 10:04 AM
you need a HD TV to get the most out of it...
Wouldn't the PS3 have the same problem?
 Diego Varen
07-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Wouldn't the PS3 have the same problem?

I think so. I read somewhere that the PS3 does need a HDTV, like the XBOX 360. The Wii doesn't need one.
 Jeff
07-10-2006, 1:44 PM
I'd love to see the Wii make it big once it's released. It's definitely my console of choice so far.
 Lynk Former
07-10-2006, 4:37 PM
I think so. I read somewhere that the PS3 does need a HDTV, like the XBOX 360. The Wii doesn't need one.
XD Yes I already knew the answer to this, I was asking it in a way so that slomie could come to the realisation himself rather than me telling him so.

If you have a HDTV... a GOOD HDTV, that means something monsterously huge and costs a tonne, not one of the smaller regular sized HDTVs, then obviously you could afford to buy an entire country and the PS3 too.
 admiralmark
07-10-2006, 8:01 PM
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!! Nintendo strikes back! The only thing wrong with the Wii is the name, everything else pwns the 360 and ps3 combine!
The only thing that sony and microsoft improve are the graphics, (and stealing nintendo's idea for sony)

The graphics don't matter so much, of course you don't want horrible graphics but you don't need life-like either. Nintendo has the right idea, improving graphics is not the focus, improving the way the game can be played to make games funner is the focus.

I can't wait for Super Smash Bros Brawl and Metroid Prime 3 Corruption!!!

WII WILL WII WILL ROCK YOU!!! :smash:
 PurpleMuffin
07-10-2006, 10:19 PM
the Wii-mote X3
 TiE23
07-11-2006, 3:23 PM
I have the 360 and I'm loving it. Just need some more games! Halo 3, Mass Effect, and Gears of War are all on my list.
 Samurai DD
07-11-2006, 9:39 PM
I'm really going for Nintendo. Wii's the most creative thing to happen in years.
 Lantzen
07-13-2006, 8:41 PM
None, PC ftw. Consoles can burn in hell
 milo
07-14-2006, 3:12 PM
I was sort of having some doubts about the 360. It didn't seem to have that many great games. The only good one was Call of Duty, and Halo 3 coming out in a while, and there isn't any sign of Kotor 3. I was thinking about getting a Wii, because it looks pretty innovative, and then maybe a 360 some time after Halo 3 came out, but I've changed my mind because of one thing: Mass Effect. This game looks f***ing brilliant. Looks even better than Kotor. It's like Bioware can't make a bad game, only games that are even better than their predecessors. They have cemented my faith in xbox once again. Long live the 360!
 Darth Groovy
07-14-2006, 8:50 PM
None, PC ftw. Consoles can burn in hell

Give us a kiss...

...Have fun with those upgrades...:rolleyes:
 =DEATH STAR=
07-16-2006, 1:24 PM
what do u mean by succeed? do u mean be good at because im really godd at ps gaming systems, i stink with handheld ones lol
 Rexraptor2000
07-16-2006, 3:26 PM
360 all the way.
 JasperFett
07-19-2006, 10:05 PM
To be honest, I may have my favorites, but it would be nice to see the 360, Wii, and PS3 all succeed. Competition's good for the business and more often than not can breed better games as a result.
 MagnaGuard
07-20-2006, 1:34 AM
PS3. I have a PS2. I want a PS3.
 Alegis
07-20-2006, 6:52 AM
Wii !

I only own a gamecube as I wanted some 'party' games which weren't offered on the PC. Nintendo always offered that special variaty of games; stuff like Smash bros isn't comparable with anything else.

Wii itself does it again. I never liked the analog sticks of console, I felt much more comfortable with keyboard/mouse. The point thingy is just awesome, I have to get myself one with the zapper wiimote addon.

360 looks ok, but I play much more fun games on PC with the comfortable keyboard/mouse. And sony's consumer screw plan for the blu-ray sickens me, as their arrogant attitude and their weekly retarded statements.
 Darth333
07-22-2006, 9:47 AM
I will likely not buy a next gen console. I have an xbox and it does very little apart collecting dust. I prefer the flexibility of a PC which also allow me to easily tweak my games to my liking. However, to answer the poll, I'd say the Wii. It's the only console that has an innovative design (the only "next-gen" console to me) and the one with the most reasonable price.

The PS3 price is just ridiculous IMHO. It's just a game console but at the price of a mid-range computer.
 Char Ell
07-22-2006, 3:38 PM
Microsoft's Xbox 360 barely edges Nintendo's next-gen for my poll vote only because I'm a PC gamer and I've got this idea in my head (could be :nut: on this) that if Xbox 360 has games that do well then those games are more likely to be ported to PC than games from Nintendo's new console or Sony's PS 3. I really hope BioWare's Mass Effect makes it to PC after its Xbox 360 debut.

I also like the innovation and low price Nintendo is bringing with its new console. I'm considering purchasing one after the initial launch craze subsides.

I couldn't care less about Sony's PS 3.
 stingerhs
07-23-2006, 10:35 PM
well, i'm definately more of a PC gamer than a console gamer, but i will gladly admit that the Wii has me quite intrigued. i've watched several videos on the new motion sensing controls for the Wii, and i'm all but convinced that it will put Nintendo back into the lead in the console wars.

where Sony and Micro$oft are content to just evolve the consoles by giving them better processing capabilities, Nintendo has shown that they are willing to give us something truely revolutionary. Sony, IMHO, gave the whole motion sensing idea lip service by adding in the functionality at the last minute which only shows how much of a revolution Nintendo has already started. the fact that you can change the thinking of a major competitor before your product even hits the market is huge.

if anything, the 360 and the PS3 aren't truely next-gen to begin with. sure, the graphics and the processing power are getting a boost, but what is that going to give you aside from better AI and physics (which, by the way, are already here with games like Half-Life 2, F.E.A.R, and Oblivion hitting the market)?? there isn't anything truely spectacular about all the extra processing power (which, in the PS3's case, is way too much) except for all the extra processing power.

yeah, the Wii may not be as powerful as the 360 or the PS3, but who cares whenever you can immerse yourself into a game more than ever before outside of virtual reality booths or a visit to the local arcade. gameplay will never be the same, and going back to the 360 or even my own PC is going to feel downright lame after a couple of sessions using the Wii's motion controller since pressing buttons just isn't going to feel quite right anymore.

the Wii is my definative pick for the console that will beat out the others.
 Fealiks
07-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Lol Lucasforums is retarded... why would the 360 have more votes than the PS3? Theres no competition whatsoever! The 360 isn't even next gen!
 Char Ell
07-28-2006, 11:06 AM
why would the 360 have more votes than the PS3? Theres no competition whatsoever! The 360 isn't even next gen! :eyeraise: Says who? I'm certainly not convinced by your outlandish opinion without any basis in fact.
Lol Lucasforums is retarded... So you consider yourself retarded?!?! After all you are a member of LucasForums as well. :roleyess:

Look, you're certainly entitled to your opinion on the poll subject but if you would be so kind as to keep your thoughts on the intelligence-level of LucasForums' general membership to yourself I'm sure your fellow LF members would greatly appreciate it. I know I would. :nod:
 Thrik
07-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Fealiks, perhaps when you're a bit older and have to pay the full Ј475 or so for a PS3 yourself you'll understand. :¬:
 Lynk Former
07-28-2006, 1:18 PM
@ cutmeister: Fealiks is right, after all the PS3 has GIANT ENEMY CRABS and REALTIME WEAPON CHANGE and NO GIMMICKS and the PS3 CONTROLLER WITH SIX DEGREES OF FREEDOM and lets not forget RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RAACEEERRRRRRR!!... rock on.

XD
 coupes.
07-28-2006, 1:52 PM
Don't forget that you can inflict MASSIVE DAMAGE on the PS3, or is it with the PS3, I can never remember... this thing is a beast.
 Pho3nix
07-28-2006, 3:00 PM
I guess the PS3, but that f***ing price tag irritates me, I won't be able to buy it.
 Lynk Former
07-28-2006, 3:08 PM
*points @ Pho3nix* Sony has hit your weakspot for massive damage!
Page: 1 of 3