Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Which console do you most want to succeed?

Page: 2 of 3
 coupes.
07-28-2006, 5:36 PM
*points @ Pho3nix* Sony has hit your weakspot for massive damage!
rofl :lol:

Indeed they have. I honestly can't understand what Sony though when they designed the PS3. Sure, most people want the best they can get on the market, it makes them feel special or something I guess. The power of the PS3 is really amazing and it will definately offer a great array of possibilities when it come to graphics ans stuff. However, I cannot understand how they imagined that people, especially younger people, would be willing to pay for this. Never in a million years would I have asked my parents for a $600+ toy, nor would I have been able to afford it myself when I was younger. I honnestly think Sony has lost a big chunk of the younger audience and they're gonna feel it.

I've been playing video games for over 20 years now, of course the firs few years were always full of innovation and new gameplay mechanics. but since the N64 and Playstation era, the new gameplay mechanics ceased to appear and the only innovations were about where to put new buttons on the controller. And then came Revolution, now Wii. With Nintendo brought a new approach to gaming, and innovation to gaming once more. I find this extremely refreshing and I can't wait to try it out. I really hope the Wii succeeds with what it's trying to do, not necesserally for the Wii in particular, but for what it might bring to video games in general. If the Wii fails, then I beleive that never again will a company try to innovate in such a way and we'll be stuch with the same old games...
 Char Ell
07-28-2006, 11:29 PM
@ cutmeister: Fealiks is right, after all the PS3 has GIANT ENEMY CRABS and REALTIME WEAPON CHANGE and NO GIMMICKS and the PS3 CONTROLLER WITH SIX DEGREES OF FREEDOM and lets not forget RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RAACEEERRRRRRR!!... rock on.

XD:lol: Yeah. I guess you're right, Lynk. Microsoft and Nintendo may as well cash in their chips now cuz Sony is all that and a bag of chips. :xp:
Never in a million years would I have asked my parents for a $600+ toy, nor would I have been able to afford it myself when I was younger. I honnestly think Sony has lost a big chunk of the younger audience and they're gonna feel it.I dunno, coupes. These kids nowadays, they've got this entitlement attitude. I don't think they have a problem asking their parents to cough up whatever amount of cash they need to get what they want. IMHO the real question is whether or not the parents will actually be willing to fork out that much cash for a PS 3. ;)
 Lynk Former
07-28-2006, 11:46 PM
@ cutmeister: No parent's won't be willing to fork out that much... the cost of living has been rising recently and a 599USD PS3, an entertainment device... A TOY isn't going to be everyone's first priority. To add to that, people seem to forget aaaaaaaaaaaall about the additional costs of accessories and games. The PS3 is will cost people A LOT more than just 599USD.
 Thrik
07-29-2006, 7:16 AM
Or if you're in the UK, $800 for the basic system from launch. ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
 Sithdisiple666
08-01-2006, 4:33 PM
Wii will beat all!!! The PS3 and Xbox 360 are basicly the same thing as their predesessors with a new controller a sleek design and a better graphics card. The Wii may have a weird name but it is going to revolutionize gaming as we know it! An Interactive controller, better graphics and any Nintendo Game can be downloaded on to it for just 99 cents! Also the Wii is going to cost around $150-$200. You can get all that for $200 less than an XBox 360 and $400 less than a PS 3!!!!! It keeps getting better and better. I am personally wishing to god that some star wars games come out for it. Imagine lightsaber action with an interactive controller?!?!?!?
 Smon
08-06-2006, 2:54 AM
@ cutmeister: No parent's won't be willing to fork out that much... the cost of living has been rising recently and a 599USD PS3, an entertainment device... A TOY isn't going to be everyone's first priority. To add to that, people seem to forget aaaaaaaaaaaall about the additional costs of accessories and games. The PS3 is will cost people A LOT more than just 599USD.
Especially since PS3 games cost more than most games do... (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151823)
 Arch_Nemesis
08-09-2006, 7:23 AM
It doesn't make any difference to me as long as i enjoy playing my games..... and i am much more neutral..i enjoy them all

I hate to debate on which console is the best
 grrrrrrrrrr7
08-09-2006, 12:33 PM
well seeing as i dont have any of those consoles, i vote for pedro!!!!!!!
 Great Scott!
08-12-2006, 1:12 AM
Nintendo Wii! Whoo!
 clonetrooper09
08-17-2006, 9:11 PM
I think the 360 will overcome the other compettitors. I don't know much about the Wii but for the PS3, the cheapest price will be 600 and the games will be 100. The only things I like for the PS3 is that all the games are in HD and that you can play PS1 and PS2 games. I have a 360 Premium Addition so I am happy.
 generalvaklu321
08-18-2006, 1:19 AM
I love Nintendo and Xbox, but I prefer 360, because KOTOR. Also, I'll still buy the Wii. But come on, it's called the Wii. That name lacks... any marketing value. Wii is translated to: "Miyamoto can't really think of any name right now so this one will do but it doesn't matter because Nintendo has a loyal fan base who will buy it for any reason"
 grrrrrrrrrr7
08-18-2006, 9:47 AM
X BOX 360!!!!!!!!
 Samurai DD
08-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Heh, after reading this thread I've come to notice a common well, *ahem* thread among most people. We would all rather have an almost equal processing power in exchange for the innovation the Wii provides. What I pray for each night is that the Wii won't be a dissapointment. I'm pretty sure I won't want to end up with overrated and overpriced PS3's or also overrated 360's. If the Wii fails, it's goodbye for Nintendo, but if it indeed is what we have hoped, it's going to be back on the lead for the next century. Although the 360 is pretty attractive because of BioWare and HD, it lacks in a lot of aspects. And PC gaming will never die. And finally, with any luck, Sony will be KO'D pretty soon.

LONG LIVE NINTENDO!!!!!! LONG LIVE THE REVOLUTION!!!!!!
 Lynk Former
08-18-2006, 11:50 AM
If the Wii fails, it's goodbye for Nintendo
Not really.
 Samurai DD
08-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Not really.

No, not like: "Wii failed, we're bankrupt", but it would doom Nintendo to Sega's fate, sooner or later.
 Lynk Former
08-18-2006, 1:42 PM
Again, no not really.
 Samurai DD
08-18-2006, 1:46 PM
Whatever. I'm entitled to my opinion.
 Lynk Former
08-18-2006, 2:27 PM
You are entitled to your opinion, but you're also forgetting to take into account some important facts. First, the Nintendo DS, second Nintendo's strong financial position and the money it has saved in the bank just for such rainy days. Lastly, the fact that Nintendo never makes a product where they would end up taking heavy losses if it were to fail. If Nintendo's home console were to fail like the GameCube, then Nintendo has plenty of other things to keep it standing for another round. It's proven this time and time again.

Also, you can't really compare Sega's fall to what may or may not happen to Nintendo since Sega fell due to very different circumstances. Add to that the fact that Sega had nothing else of real substance but its home console line... Nintendo dropping out of the console race is just as unlikely as Sony or Microsoft dropping out.
 Great Scott!
08-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Also don't forget GBA, the top-selling portable console ever.
 generalvaklu321
08-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Nintendo wont be finished on consoles, not for my lifetime at least. It built up a loyal group of customers, also, even though it wasn't the best, it was still good. Also, remember the N64, that had COMPLETE dominance, everybody who was anybody had an N64, even Playstation fans had N64's. Also, since Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong etc will stay on the Nintendo systems, people will get them.
 generalvaklu321
08-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Also don't forget GBA, the top-selling portable console ever.
exactly, psp might come close soon, but GAMEBOY FOREVER
 Lynk Former
08-19-2006, 1:40 PM
@ generalvaklu321:

1st, don't double post. If you have anything to add and another person hasn't posted under your, then edit the post you've just posted.

2nd, the PS1 outsold the N64.

3rd. just because Nintendo has a lot of franchises doesn't mean it's going to attract a lot of people. There is a large group of people who don't like the franchises Nintendo comes up with.
 generalvaklu321
08-19-2006, 5:14 PM
2nd, the PS1 outsold the N64.

That's true, I checked it. I'll admit, "dominated" would be the wrong word to use. But still, financially, the N64 did amazing, and, although not as much as playstation, sold crazy.

3rd. just because Nintendo has a lot of franchises doesn't mean it's going to attract a lot of people. There is a large group of people who don't like the franchises Nintendo comes up with.

About your third point, it's not the amount of franchises that matters, but they have them, and people like them, A LOT. You are right, there is a large group of people who dont like the Nintendo franchises, but there is a larger (or just as big) group that DOES like them. I'm saying that Nintendo has nothing to prove, it has already attracted people.
 Lynk Former
08-19-2006, 10:57 PM
Yeah but think about it, Nintendo has relied heavily on its franchises on its last two consoles (N64 and GCN) and while we've seen some bloody good games from Nintendo lately, it's the third party developers as a whole who attract more developers than Nintendo does alone. This reliance on their own franchises is what is putting NIntendo into third place and something must be done about it. The group is big, but obviously not big enough.

Nintendo does have something to prove, it needs to prove that it can attract all of those third party developers back to them after they had all jumped ship in the N64/PS1 generation.

I'm a very big Nintendo fan, but that's not going to cloud my judgement of what I think Nintendo needs to do to improve itself.
 Skylover SC
08-20-2006, 10:51 AM
Wii !!
Nintendo for ever!
 generalvaklu321
08-21-2006, 2:39 PM
I guess your right, Nintendo does have something to prove. It's already good, but does need improvement, but you can say that for every other developer. The way I think Nintendo can attract other developers and/or customers is to allow more M rated games. Nintendo has some, but it leaves out many chances for a good action game (not saying Nintendo has no action games).
 Lynk Former
08-21-2006, 4:16 PM
They don't disallow mature rated games. Don't forget that Nintendo has encouraged mature rated games such as Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Eternal Darkness, Reisdent Evil 0 and 4. And at this very moment Nintendo is giving huge amounts of support to Ubisoft as they develop Red Steel.

Nintendo doesn't have to make muture games themselves since they have plenty of other developers to do it for them and it's not like any of their games are lacking just cause it doesn't have "M" stuck on em.

The biggest worry that developers seem to have with Nintendo is that when they develop for a Nintendo system, they have to directly compete with Nintendo to get the gamers attentions since a big part of owning a Nintendo console is playing the Nintendo games on it.

But of course we don't have to worry though since the Wii hasn't launched and already we can see vast improvements on the third party developer front.
 generalvaklu321
08-22-2006, 1:23 AM
Nintendo has M games. But I'm saying is that they could have more, leaving much more games to sell. Yet again, you could say that about any console. Here's an idea, try to get the rights to have GTA on their console, it worked for the Xbox.
 Lynk Former
08-22-2006, 1:51 AM
That's upto Rockstar whether they want to develop for a Nintendo system, at the moment Rockstar has no interest in Nintendo at all. Nintendo could throw money at them like Sony, but that's not Nintendo, they'd gladly offer support for their system if Rockstar approached them though.

But so what? Ubisoft has great interest in Nintendo at the moment and is releasing several mature rated titles and then there's Grasshopper who is releasing Heroes for Wii, a very violent title, etc, etc. I think I've already talked about this earlier in the thread lol.

And GTA didn't really work for the Xbox, Halo 2 worked for the Xbox, that's the single greatest title the Xbox had and put it on the map... GTA was pretty much an afterthought.
 Nagru
08-22-2006, 7:18 PM
What is with people and the Wii!!!!!! While the design is innovative, they are specifically
marketing to NON-GAMERS. Personally if I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on a gaming console I want it to be for gaming! Anyways I'd have to vote for the 360. The PS3 put itself out of the picture with it's price tag.
 coupes.
08-22-2006, 8:27 PM
What is with people and the Wii!!!!!! While the design is innovative, they are specifically
marketing to NON-GAMERS. Personally if I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on a gaming console I want it to be for gaming! Anyways I'd have to vote for the 360. The PS3 put itself out of the picture with it's price tag.How is the Wii not for gaming ? o_O

And Nintendo is far from marketing the Wii to non-gamers, where did you get that ? What they are trying to do is to appeal to a larger crowd. Not making games exclusively for 18-30 year old males is far from making games to non-gamers...
 Nagru
08-22-2006, 10:29 PM
On gamespot there's a video of an interview with one of nintendo's top dogs, who was displaying the Wii. In it he says, "With the Nintendo Wii we're trying to appeal to the non-gaming crowd"
 Commander Obi-Wan
08-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Thus, meaning they want to attract more people that don't normally play video games, to play the Wii.
 coupes.
08-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Yes, but trying to appeal to the non-gamer crowd doesn't mean letting down the serious gamer crowd. Nintendo is creating a console that will be fun to play, easy to pick up for non-gamers and that will offer plemty of new gameplay mechanics and ideas/conceptd for reguler gamers.
 Nagru
08-22-2006, 11:06 PM
As a regular gamer (and I speak for me, my sibling, and most of my friends) while some of their games are cool, it's the new controller that throws it off. You get two dinky little controllers that look like remotes. They have two analog sticks(combined) and a couple of buttons. It offers nowhere near the same kind of control, as it has fewer buttons, and the feel of a first person shooter would be gone as al you have to do is point and click. Where's the challenge?
 Commander Obi-Wan
08-22-2006, 11:19 PM
Well, have you tried the Wii yet? You don't exactly know if it poses it a challenge or not. There may be games that are made for hardcore gamers and some for those who are new to gaming.
 Nagru
08-22-2006, 11:38 PM
I concede with a "ya, maybe." Still though, the entire feel of their gaming system is just off somehow. I'm still going to throw my vote to the 360, there's no way I'm gonna give up a tradditional controller for two of those remote things.
 Lynk Former
08-23-2006, 12:47 AM
@ Nagru: XD Yes, Wii is trying to attract non-gamers just like the DS is, however it will still have plenty of games made for people who are already gamers. I don't know where you got the impression that there won't be any "games" for Wii, but it seems obvious that you haven't actually looked to find out what it has.

On the controls side of things, it is one of those things you really need to actually hold in your hands and play a game with to actually know where Nintendo is coming from, that's the biggest hurdle Nintendo has to face. You don't have to give up the traditional controller, all you need to do is experience a different way of controlling videogames.
 Commander Obi-Wan
08-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Also, the Wii won't just be coming out with just one controller, but three. Click here. (http://wii.ign.com/articles/718/718946p1.html)

For more info read Lynk's post below mine XD
 Lynk Former
08-23-2006, 12:43 PM
To clarify since Obi didn't go into detail XD

The first option is the Wiimote + Nunchaku.
The second is the GameCube controller which you can use for your GameCube games you want to play on your Wii.
The third is the Classic Controller, which is primarily used for Virtual Console games but can be used for GameCube games and selected Wii games if they want to use it.
 Nagru
08-23-2006, 1:29 PM
Thanks for informing me that the Wii has multiple controllers, that makes me more comfortable with the system. I'm just going to stop arguing as I see it is quite pointless.
I tip my hat to you all.
 Lynk Former
08-23-2006, 1:52 PM
lol, well we understand your opinion, all we did was give you information you seemed to lack. There are a lot of people that will prefer to have audio/visual quality above all else and that's fine with me. And there are people who want to stick with traditional gaming because they like it that way and that's fine too.
 topshot
08-23-2006, 7:57 PM
I wouldn't get a PS3, even if only for Devil May Cry ! Not with those prices unless there's significant price drop! I'll actually be happy and content with a Wii and what I've got now.....
 TheMichal
08-27-2006, 9:31 AM
i vote for PS3. I like Sony and belive new console will be most powerful and multi-function. Beside...playing in flight games with new Sony gamepad - whoa! (yes, Wii have more advanced conroller, but i dont want to play on za remote control)
 Vegard Aune
08-30-2006, 10:58 AM
I say Wii, because of the games. Next to KotOR, I think Ocarina of time was the best game ever, so I am pretty sure the Wii will be great, even though the graphics apparently aren't that much better than the Gamecube.
 Valter
09-03-2006, 7:10 PM
The Wii is innovative and the Wii controller will revolutionize FPS games. So my vote is for the Wii.
 Lynk Former
09-04-2006, 1:31 AM
Just as long as developers are clever in the way they make their games...
 Darth NeoVenom
09-12-2006, 7:18 AM
Wii is probably going to be successful, followed by X-Box 360. Or it can be the other way around, you never know. PS3 is already in the gutter and it hasn't came out yet. All I hear about the PS3 is BAD news, nothing good. First it was the price, then the shortage in blue ray disk, then the shortage in production of the system themselves, then the cost of games ($70-$100), then the fact that you HAVE to buy a seperate cable to see HD stuff, and then that they are not going to release the system this fall/winter. Idk, but anyone who thinks the PS3 is gonna succeed are fanboys or rich people. :lol:
 King Dando
09-15-2006, 6:35 PM
The Wii, mostly for the innovation. I heard the PS3's release date has been put back until next March or something, I don't care that much, I never had that much faith in it in the first place
 Lord Foley
10-27-2006, 1:54 PM
Wii. It has an innovative play style, a cheap price, and all of the nintendo exclusive games.

Xbox 360 is simply terrible.

PS3 is OK, but its too expensive. It looks decent enough, but the price kills it. It does not have enough innovation or technological advances over the others to be worth triple the wii.
Page: 2 of 3