Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Thrawn confirmed!!

Page: 1 of 2
 The_Eradicator
06-07-2006, 1:48 PM
Wooohooooo Thrawn, Xizorm Jabba and Garm Bel Iblis will be in the game....

Does that mean the Dreadnaught (as Bel Iblis controls a fleet of 4 of them) will be in too?

EDIT by LIAYD:
http://www.2404.org/interviews/986/...ption-Interview)

8) Who are some of the characters from the films as well as Expanded Universe that will be in the game?

We have several familiar movie characters, as well as lore characters. To name a few, the Rebellion will have Yoda, Garm Bel Iblis and Luke Skywalker, who leaves Red Squadron to become a powerful new ground and space hero. The Empire will have Admiral Thrawn, and the Executor will become Vader’s new flagship with Admiral Piett at the helm. IG-88, the Nightsisters, Bossk and others will work with the Underworld. Jabba the Hutt and Prince Xizor also make appearances.
 vadermandude
06-07-2006, 2:17 PM
doesent ibis only have 3??? it says so in the books ive read.
 pbarny
06-07-2006, 3:07 PM
doesent ibis only have 3??? it says so in the books ive read.
He slowly builds up his army as he's able to purchase them. He has 4 by the time of Dark Force Rising, but only 2-3 during the height of the Rebellion.

If anything they should modify an assault frigate and call it the Peregrine like they modify a corvette and call it the Sundered Heart for Antilles.
 PoiuyWired
06-07-2006, 3:24 PM
Xizorm Jabba? who is this??
 Dreng
06-07-2006, 3:55 PM
where did u read that?
 wedge2211
06-07-2006, 5:19 PM
Uh...you can't really say these characters are 'confirmed' if you don't provide substantiating evidence...where's the confirmation?

Pouiy, I'm guessing he meant "Xizor, Jabba."
 mattwild
06-07-2006, 6:53 PM
It's in one of the expansion pack previews in the sticky thread.

The first one I think.
 Darth Andrew
06-07-2006, 7:17 PM
You're right! And I also read in that article that there will be a Mon Calamari frigate. I honestly don't want to know what that will look like.
 Foshjedi2004
06-07-2006, 8:31 PM
Thats Good News Guys.
 Yadiel
06-07-2006, 9:37 PM
O_o seems like a lot didn't read the interview transcription. this is kind of double post, I suggest u to read the whole thing, its interesting =)
 The_Eradicator
06-08-2006, 2:41 AM
now its time for a few pictures featuring Thrawn that would be awesome
 Darth Alec
06-08-2006, 4:16 PM
Seems good, I hope they do them right though...
 PoiuyWired
06-08-2006, 5:38 PM
I wonder how Jabba would work.

I know they have Hutt models already, but a rolling Hutt is not too Jabbaie I think.
 lonepadawan
06-08-2006, 7:01 PM
Does this mean Vader in TIE advanced is no longer ever going to be used?
 mattwild
06-08-2006, 7:32 PM
It's not quite like that. As far as I can gather, the hero in the ISD will now be Thrawn, and Piett will now be in the SSD. Vader will stay in his cool TIE I think.
 Darth Anarch
06-11-2006, 8:59 AM
Yes, there's no reason to change Vader flying in his TIE. He's already working fine as both a ground and space hero. I would have thought they'd do the same with Luke Skywalker and Red Squadron, but apparently not.
 Yadiel
06-11-2006, 11:04 AM
well i guess red squadron will be out of the spotlight now, and we will have rogue squadron.
 PoiuyWired
06-11-2006, 2:03 PM
Ed need Death Squadron to still be in the game.
 Wilfer88
06-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Hope this info will be included, cause I want Thrawn
 Thrawn
06-13-2006, 4:13 PM
Glad to see I'm making an appearance in the game:D
 Admiral Sith
06-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Pretender to the throne of Thrawn! You will fall!
 THrawn((9
06-14-2006, 8:20 AM
i'm the true thrawn and i am the one making the Apperance! prepare to be crushed by my Tactical Genius. *could you show me some of your art please?*
 Admiral Sith
06-14-2006, 11:44 AM
I will never give a fake Thrawn my art!
 magna mandaloe
06-15-2006, 3:40 PM
I swear if they add Dreadnaught Petro will have taken another Idea for my Enhancement mod :(.
 wedge2211
06-15-2006, 4:51 PM
They will have "taken an idea" from just about ever Star Wars EU source there is. They're not preying on you. They're getting the idea for the Dreadnaught from the same sources where you took the idea for a Dreadnaught from. Such are the difficulties of game-making in an already well-established universe.
 magna mandaloe
06-15-2006, 5:06 PM
I though most of the Ideas in my brain Like Gauntlet Battle Cruiser. Most were not from Sources.
 wedge2211
06-15-2006, 5:14 PM
Uh, dude, Dreadnaughts (http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/dreadnaught/index.html)have) been a part of the Star Wars universe for a long time before you thought of including them in your Empire at War mod.
 slornie
06-28-2006, 8:00 AM
Garm Bel Iblis... will this be when he was part of the Rebel Alliance, if so he wouldnt have his dreadnaughts... since he collected them after he separated from the alliance... also... i was under the impression that by the time of the Thrawn Trilogy he had 6 dreadnaughts... and that they were all involved in the battle with the Katana...
 Darth Anarch
06-28-2006, 5:26 PM
If Bel Iblis makes it into the game it will almost certainly be post-Endor. It makes no sense to add a hero in the expansion pack that concentrates on the ESB/RotJ time period and then insert a character as he was before even the events of the original campaign.

And since the Empire is getting another hero with his own spaceship (Thrawn) then it's a good possibility that the Rebels will get one too.
 Thrawn
06-28-2006, 7:10 PM
Good point about the spaceship heroes. I wouldn't mind Iblis having a Dreadnaught running around. It would pack a heck of a punch. Perhaps it could be a pair of them or something.
 PoiuyWired
06-29-2006, 3:39 PM
Well, one would not be too much.
 Thrawn3.14
07-02-2006, 7:30 PM
Thrawn will make an excellent addition to the game...
 Darth MD
07-03-2006, 8:10 AM
He would, but what "special abilities" would he have?-the same for the other heroes....I would hate it if Bel Iblis could "summon" a dreadnaught in the middle of the fight and kick the s*** out of the imps....
 Darth Anarch
07-03-2006, 2:58 PM
They both will probably give some sort of bonuses to the ships involved in the battle, like Tarkin and Fleet Officers do.
 slornie
07-04-2006, 5:59 AM
Garm Bel Iblis will probably have some sort of bonus that allows his ship to use ion cannons to temporarily knock out a opposing ship...
Admiral Thrawn will have some kind of all round tactical modifier for his fleet... like utilise cultural blindspot... or something...
 IonFizzle07
07-06-2006, 1:45 PM
This is fantastic news!!

Thrawn is a magnificent character. Arguably the most tactically brilliant commander in Star Wars history (arguably because of Ackbar, bel Iblis, Farlander, Kre'fey, Antilles). What a fantastic choice.

bel Iblis as well is a totally excellent character addition. Brilliant and independent tactician.

Someone mentioned a Mon Calamari frigate. I'm guessing that'll be the MC-40 we see in the X-Wing games (the Lulsa) and NJO Balance Point (the Poesy)
 wedge2211
07-06-2006, 3:56 PM
One of the developer interviews mentioned a "Mon Calamari frigate." We weren't given a specific designation, but I'd expect it to be smaller than the MC-80 and have some interesting special ability or interesting weapon loadout (perhaps like a Rebel version of the Acclamator).

Thrawn is...well...er...okay, I just re-read the original Thrawn trilogy, 'cause I thought, what the heck, it's summer and the last time I read those was like in fifth grade. Having him in Forces of Corruption is somewhat un-canon since at this time period he's supposed to be zipping around the Unknown Regions of the galaxy, but I'm okay with that since Empire at War theoretically spans the whole galaxy. His special ability will probably be either a general tactical modifier a la Fleet Commanders, Mon Mothma, and the Emperor; but it could also be some specific tactic that could be triggered like Admiral Ackbar's concentrate fire ability. However, I must say I really don't like Thrawn that much as a "tactical genius." The art thing is a bit too hokey; and the way Timothy Zahn wrote Thrawn was to make him seem smart just by having him know things he couldn't possibly know. That's not really plausible.

Okay, the blasphemy has ended. :)
 IonFizzle07
07-06-2006, 5:57 PM
No, it's not blasphemy. I'm actually much the same about Thrawn. I don't see him as the God that most Star Wars fans seem to. It's true that he was very much a Master of fleet combat, but I disagree when I hear him called THE master. In my mind, Ackbar was THE master. if you've read New Jedi Order: Destiny's Way, Ackbar's strategy at the Battle of Ebaq 9 was absolutely amazinng. Also, Admiral Kre'fey's work in several campaigns as well as Bel Iblis's cold hard rational thinking during the defense of Coruscant in Star by Star were oustanding.

And, in a tip of the hat to your username, if you've read Allston's two NJO books, Rebel Dream and Rebel Stand, General Wedge Antilles was a complete genius in the defense of Borleias.

Thrawn was good, no doubt, but no god. Ackbar was easily his equal.
 slornie
07-07-2006, 8:07 AM
its all relative really... depending upon who has what ships, where they are, how they are working, etc... i mean Thrawn was an excellant commander, but i agree that there were many others of a similar calibre... also, wasnt there one in the dark nest trilogy who beat the thrawn simulations... i dont want to get into a debate about whether fighting a simulation of thrawn is anything like fighting him in person... but this shows that it is silly to call thrawn the master of startegy and tactics when there are others who are just as good... all that aside... i quite like the idea of thrawn being able to use species are to understand their physhe... it adds new depth to him as a character and as a strategist...
 IonFizzle07
07-07-2006, 1:40 PM
Yeah, the Dark Nest admiral is a Bothan, Bwua'ua or something like that. Very arrogant but less so than most Bothans. Defeated all the Thrawn simulators every time.
 Darth Anarch
07-07-2006, 5:57 PM
I always assumed that that Bothan admiral, Bwua-something, beat the Thrawn simulator because he cheated. He is a Bothan, after all. :giggle1:
 IonFizzle07
07-08-2006, 1:14 AM
You know, I never even thought of that

*SPOILER ALERT: DARK NEST SERIES*

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

After the way his fleet was routed at the Murgo Choke, he definately doesn't seem to have the tactical savvy of Thrawn at all.
 ImpElite
07-26-2006, 9:04 AM
Cool! Another space hero for my Imperial fleet! Muahahahahahahahahaha
 PoiuyWired
07-26-2006, 6:24 PM
Is it the Bothan dude whose name sounds like "failure" and who is vitality challanged after the nutcase attacks on the Liberty City?>

If so yeah he is quite a cheater.
 ImpElite
07-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Is it the Bothan dude whose name sounds like "failure" and who is vitality challanged after the nutcase attacks on the Liberty City?>

If so yeah he is quite a cheater.

I think his name is Fey'lyea or something like that.
 ImpElite
07-27-2006, 5:10 PM
Glad to see I'm making an appearance in the game:D

I shall now be able to control you, Thrawn! You will do what I wish..... Muahahahahaha!
 slornie
07-28-2006, 5:41 AM
Having him in Forces of Corruption is somewhat un-canon since at this time period he's supposed to be zipping around the Unknown Regions of the galaxy,

no... he wasnt in the unknown regions at that time... he returned to the them after the battle of Hoth... according to his page on the star wars databank...
 Admiral Sith
07-28-2006, 11:55 AM
You mean when he was commanding the Grey Wolf, and fighting Zaarin?
 slornie
08-03-2006, 6:21 AM
er... probably it mentioned something about him fighting Zaarin before going back to the unknown regions...
 Thrawn3.14
08-06-2006, 10:03 AM
[QUOTE=Darth Anarch] beat the Thrawn simulator because he cheated QUOTE]

Would this simulation happen to be named "The Kobayashi Maru"? :vsd:
Page: 1 of 2