Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Death Star II

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthMaulUK
05-10-2006, 12:04 PM
With the introduction of the second Death Star, this must mean that the ability to destroy it will be taken out of the hands of Red Squadron?

Personally, I have never liked the idea of just Red Squadron taking out the DS, especially as it doesnt work in multiplayer / campaign games online.

I wonder...... however, it also brings a new threat to the battlefield for the Rebel Alliance. If the ability to sabotage was included in the game, well.. that Death Star shield looks vunerable!

DMUK
 usul
05-10-2006, 12:13 PM
I bet the second death star has some different rules, planatery shield, and maybe you just have to win the battle above it, who knows? I'd bet they have some Galactic Conquests that are DS1 only and some that are DS2 only.
 Darth_Extas
05-10-2006, 12:44 PM
It would be an interesting thing, involving the sheild. I think in that situation, you would have to manage both land and space units, with that in mind I think they said that was a feature in the expansion. Correct me if I am wrong.
 Darth Andrew
05-10-2006, 4:17 PM
Death Star II in the backround:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a45/DarthAndrew/Empire%20at%20War/4.jpg)

I wonder if that is how it will always appear in combat. I hope not, as it's obviously not even finished. :rolleyes:
 popcorn2008
05-10-2006, 4:27 PM
Where did ya get that? ;)

Hmmm.... It's not a pretty critter that's for sure! Funny thing is both the Death Star and the Eclipse will have a capital/planet destroying super laser.

Or wait did the eclipse have the planet destroy ability?
 Cheech Marin
05-10-2006, 4:32 PM
I remember reading that it could "shatter a planet's crust", though I'm not sure if it's capable of reducing a planet to asteroids in a matter of seconds.
 Darth Andrew
05-10-2006, 5:49 PM
The Eclipse's laser couldn't destroy the planet, just the crust (like Cheech Marin said).

Where did ya get that? ;)From LucasArt's website. :D
 arkodeon
05-10-2006, 6:00 PM
Death Star II in the backround:

I wonder if that is how it will always appear in combat. I hope not, as it's obviously not even finished. :rolleyes:

What did you mean by that?

If you meant the model doesn't look finished, that's the way the Death Star 2 looks. Re-watch ROTJ. (:

But if you meant the sizing, then yeah, that's certainly not even real. Or maybe it's on a lower or higher plane of its own, so that ships could fly without being inconvenienced, while still participating in the battle.
 popcorn2008
05-10-2006, 6:06 PM

If you meant the model doesn't look finished, that's the way the Death Star 2 looks. Re-watch ROTJ. (:

Im pretty sure Darth Andrew knows that ;)

I think he is refering to how not pretty it looks lol. And possible how its size doesnt look bigger than the first Death Star.
 Orao
05-10-2006, 6:08 PM
Isn't there a little problem with DS 2 and SSD scale.

In ROTJ SSD is crushing on the surface of the DS and it was like fly splashed on the front of you car.

But in this pic SSD is much bigger than DS2.
 popcorn2008
05-10-2006, 6:11 PM
Well it could be perspective. The DS2 to me looks like it is quite a ways away from the action. Theirfore even though it looks smaller it is actually bigger. But it does need to be increased in size, as it looks the same as DS1.
 Darth Andrew
05-10-2006, 6:17 PM

If you meant the model doesn't look finished, that's the way the Death Star 2 looks. Re-watch ROTJ. (:Actually, I meant that if it will appear like that in ALL battles, even when it's finished.
 Jan Gaarni
05-10-2006, 6:30 PM

But that wasn't a completed Death Star. ;)
It still missed vital systems, like it's own shield.
Noone is going to launch a weapon like that without a shield to protect it against, for instance, planet debries. :D
 Jeff
05-10-2006, 7:04 PM
It will be interesting indeed to see how they do the death star. I'm guessing it will be able to be destroyed by more than just Red Squadron though...
 arkodeon
05-10-2006, 7:24 PM
Doesn't the Death Star 2 have the ability to destroy capital ships though? That would suggest it being in the active plane.
 Nakatomi2010
05-10-2006, 8:08 PM
They'd have to keep the death star incomplete as once it is supposed to be completely the exhaust ports were only going to be a few milimeters wide, as opposed to the original death star which had exhaust ports that were 2 meters wide, hence how torpedos managed to destroy it... The death star II HAD to be destroyed while under construction as it required flying into the super structure to destroy it...
 Foshjedi2004
05-11-2006, 6:54 AM
They seem to be using the SSD Scale at 8km..... Look at the comparison between the SSD & ISDs
 TronusNavigon
05-11-2006, 11:47 AM
They better have Lando in the Falcon with Wedge as wingman... or else... :(
 lukeiamyourdad
05-11-2006, 1:38 PM
Doesn't the Death Star 2 have the ability to destroy capital ships though? That would suggest it being in the active plane.

No, not at all. It can be in a different plane and still retain the ability to destroy capital ships.
 DCorris
05-11-2006, 2:44 PM

im guessing it is going to use the same technique as the rebels ion cannona dn empires err, gun thing (cant believe ive forgotten its name -_-)
so it will come from the death star II in the backround
 arkodeon
05-11-2006, 5:14 PM
Ah. I completely forgot about that fact. I thought of it as a ship, instead of one of those weapons. My bad. XD
 aggie_john
05-11-2006, 10:27 PM
I wonder about the planetary sheild thing? Will a rebel player need to send a raiding party down to the planet first to knock out the shield generator first before attacking the DSII?
 wedge2211
05-12-2006, 12:52 AM
No, not at all. It can be in a different plane and still retain the ability to destroy capital ships.
Agreed: It's probably a cinematic-level item. As backup, pause the trailer on the shots of the Eclipse's bow, with ISDs in the foreground. The SSD is not on the minimap, and we see a control level on the interface analogous to the Death Star control lever in EaW. My guess is that the DS2/Eclilpse are cinematic elements that grant the owning player a "superweapon" ability; but the other side in the battle probably has the ability to launch attack runs on the DS/SSD.
 The Death Star
05-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Hmm... The Death Star 2 in the screenshot is basically the same as the death star in EAW, but with it not completed. Look at the Surface of the Death Star 2...
http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/deathstarii/img/eu_bg.jpg)
And The First Death Star...
http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/deathstar/img/eu_bg.jpg)
Hopefully the Devs will create a new texture for it.
 Commander Obi-Wan
05-13-2006, 1:06 AM
It will be interesting indeed to see how they do the death star. I'm guessing it will be able to be destroyed by more than just Red Squadron though...

Ya...it'll be interesting to see how this works out.
 Admiral Raven
05-13-2006, 7:27 AM
Surely if the player completes the construction of the DS2 it won't look like it did in ROTJ like most people seem to be assuming and also there won't be a need for a planet based shield generator, if this is the case I wonder how this will work, maybe you could attack it while it is under construction or maybe the Ecplise's superlaser could destroy it?
 popcorn2008
05-13-2006, 8:37 AM
Anyone notice in the E3 videos how the Death Star is again saying, "Commence Primary Ignition"? In the older videos for the first EaW the first Death Star said the same thing bu it was apparently cut out of the full game.

So I guess will it say it now? :D Make up your mind petro!
 The Death Star
05-13-2006, 4:17 PM
Indeed Popcorn. That Death Star 2 PWNED home one. Try saying "Its a Trap!" Now Ackbar!!!
I wonder how long the Special Ability will take to recharge. (If you Look VERY closely at the screen you will see a little Square Special Ability Button above the Death Star lever.
 Admiral Raven
05-13-2006, 4:53 PM
Also the Executor seemed to get destroyed very quickly in that video but I am hoping that is just because the stats were edited for the presentation so they could show it blowing up or something.
 The Death Star
05-14-2006, 6:01 AM
Probably. I don't think that The Executor could be taken down by a few Mon Calamari Cruisers That quickly.
 popcorn2008
05-14-2006, 8:29 AM
Don't worry guys, in the real game the SSD will not be that weak at all. At E3 the game is specifically toned down to keep the action going. In otherwords the SSD health is already lowered. If you look closely the hardpoints are already in the yellow condition and the SSD has no shields left.

They specifically did it like that so you could watch the death animation.

You can discuss more about the SSD here:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=164851)
Page: 1 of 1