Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

[MOD] EAW: Open Conflict

Page: 5 of 5
 Meethos
03-07-2006, 12:37 PM
As for you not having enough income with 15-16 planets, you aren't building enough mines and probably building way too many military (defensive) structures. If you are attacking, constantly, as you should be doing, then the enemy will be put off-balance. Your "front line" will be steadily advancing and thus making your "interior" worlds safe from attack. Just put modest garrisons on your frontline planets as well as a few frigates or cruisers in orbit to supplement the stations. And then keep moving them forward to defend the new worlds you conquer. After I have built one of each factory at the appropriate worlds, I only build mines on all slots at all worlds, except for one ion cannon (as the Rebels) at each of the four SD-producing planets. I find that if you aren't losing units in battle all the time then you don't need more than 1-2 of any particular type of factory in your entire "empire". A single factory should be able to keep up with your needs for what it produces. (ie: I only have one light and one heavy factory in my entire empire, one Academy, etc.)

I'll be honest I didn't build any mines, but then again I didn't build any defensive structures either, each planet had level 3 station, a barracks, and a factory. I built 2 ion cannons, one on Hoth and the other on Fondor. As for losing units, well I played on medium difficulty and taking planet or defending a space station with no fleet or even small fleet is much much harder.

Before I played this mod and I usally lost a Corellian corvette or two, a level 1 or 2 space station could easily hold off a small fleet. But thats not the case anymore. I don't think this is bad, the player shouldn't be able to go through a battle against the AI virtually unscathed. But now I have to rebuild my fleets, and there wasn't enough money to do so, but more than that the Unit Cap got in my way.

Which side? Rebel or Empire?

Again, which side? Vehicles do not spawn endlessly anymore and it takes alot longer for them to spawn. Troops should however always spawn (slower too though).

Did you test that in skirmish or GC. In GC the stations do get larger (more) garrison units. In skirmish they do not (and did never, that's not my doing ). I suppose it's because you can actually build space units during combat... which is not possible in a GC space battle.

Sorry I wasn't clear when I posted, I played my entire time with this mod in Galactic Conflict Mode, playing the scenerio you modified as the Rebellion (Gonna try the Empire today).

Did you try deploying infiltrators with their bombs?
PLEX soldiers should be there... they should actually be one PLEX in every soldier squad... if I haven't messed that up that is

No I didn't use infilitrators, I'll give them a try, but the problem with them is they are a tech 3 which by then I also can build T4-B's. Perhaps if they got moved to tech 2 that would give the rebels a better counter against AT-ST.

If it was my mod I'd be tempted to remove Piett from the game and give Vader the ISD Accuser. The only problem with it is that in the SP campaign having an ISD (the new, powerful, modded ones that is) at the very beginning as the Empire is horribly unbalancing, so there's no way to add that touch of "realism" without completely screwing up the game.

I agree I took most of my losses from this ship. The empire would use him and single Tartan and against a single level 2 station, I could barely kill the tartan before he'd destroy my station and having the station attack Piet was pointless as it would barely scratch his shields. Later he added about 3-4 victories to the fleet and I was unable to counter that, since I couldn't afford level 4 ships due to money issues much less the unit cap.

@Meethos: I think I found the reason why you thought the units wouldn't respawn. The timers were set quite high, obiously too high for the ground battles.

Glad to be of service.

-> Version .007 <-

Cool, downloading it now, will play around with it see how it goes. Keep up the great work.

Edited for Grammer and Spelling.
 Somerled
03-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Anything of interest here?

http://pff.swrebellion.com/index.php?topic=2953.0)

The Avenger sounds intriguing.
 rocketeer
03-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Yea, the problem is the fighters don't do nearly as much damage as they should.
1. they somehow don't shoot the missiles (probably the V-Wing doesn't support using hardpoints - bad)
2. the damage of the fighters is pretty low to prevent frigates and corvettes from beeing nailed by fighters (without torpedoes/rockets) too fast
3. the turbolasers of the Venator do about half the damage of the Victory turbolasers... that's a (fictional) fact ;)

So what now... raise the damage of the fighters to the "old" values (about 4 times the damage). But then they do about as much damage as a medium turbo laser (Corellian Corvette type)... not including the X-Wings torpedoes and the A-Wings rockets. That'd be odd, wouldn't it... and would make the Corvettes quite obsolete.

I could try and replace the V-Wings with X- and Y-Wings for the rebels and with TIE-Fighters and Bombers for the Empire. The Pirates would get the V-Wings. I'll upgrade the torpedoes to some heavy ones too... they're simple fighter torpedoes right now... and only 4 of them. I suppose a capital ship can launch something better ;)

I think i found the problem, the Venator is actually using the Armor_Type of the acclamator cruisers, and there is no Shield_armor_type set at all. I changed that to <Armor_Type>Armor_Star_Destroyer</Armor_Star_Destroyer> and inserted a new line <Shield_Armor_Type>Shield_Capital</Shield_Armor_Type>. Doing that made the Shields and Armor behave like the capital ships. I think these two values are far more important than the hp of the ship, they probably imply resistances. I noticed for example that missles did far less damage to my hardpoints after doing this. Can someone test these changes? Feels imho much better.

I think the damage is a completly different problem, i attacked a lvl 2 station with the venator and it was unable to take down its shields together with his fighters. The armor type changes make it a very tough fighter carrier more suited to anti-fighter/patrol, and less of a assault ship that goes around destroying heavy armored ships or stations, which is imho also fine, have to ask tal if thats a fitting role for it.

Edit: I think the damage of the venator itself is fine as it is, if more punch against big ships/stations is needed we can easily include some bombers on it.
 mandead
03-07-2006, 1:15 PM
Hello, chaps :)

Just getting on with the MasterTextFile here. What design of ship is the Shadowclaw? Cheers :)

Oh, by the way. If you want me to mention exact squadron/weapon numbers for capital ships, then I need to know how many you've decided on :)

Who has what? ;)

I've done most of them, but it's just easier if I can be more specific :D
 Somerled
03-07-2006, 1:22 PM
What design of ship is the Shadowclaw? Cheers :)

It looks like it is a Barloz Freighter...maybe a good vessel to give to the pirates?

http://warlords.swrebellion.com/shipindex.php?vessel=Barloz+Freighter&querytype=&search_string=&sorttype=&sortdir=)
 mandead
03-07-2006, 1:31 PM
Sure, I just wanted to know what it was for the unit description ;)
 Adonnay
03-07-2006, 1:39 PM
@Somerled: The Avenger is already in, buildable and spawned by the ISD.
The Shadowclaw is also in... buildable at the merchant dock in skirmish and spawned at pirate bases.
The Yt1300 has also been given to the pirates and the merchant dock.

@rocketeer: Okay, I've adjusted the shield and armor values as well as the CategoryMask to reflect its role as capital ship.
I replaced the fighters... if you deploy them wisely you should be able to counter a victory...

@Meethos: Good point about those infiltrators...
 Adonnay
03-07-2006, 1:51 PM
@mandead:
TIE-Fighter: 9
TIE-Bomber: 4
TIE-Avenger: 4

X-Wing: 5
A-Wing: 5
Y-Wing: 3

V-Wing: 10 (only used by pirate Venator right now)
 mandead
03-07-2006, 2:07 PM
Cheers, and how many squadrons are used by the capital ships? ie, how many does an ISD have, and a VSD, etc. ?

Also, why is the Acclamator tech level 1??
 rocketeer
03-07-2006, 2:08 PM
@Adonnay: Right now the Venator rocks, just met this piett dude again that killed my venator in version 006. Well this time he wasnt victorios anymore, he and the other 2 acclamators nearly got through the shields but in the end they lost cause the Venators fighters easily shot down all bombers and fighters. I doubt it can handle a Victory the same way, but it might be a good idea to remove the weak against bombers tag from it, cause it aint weak at all against them :D. This ship now really handles frigates like the acclamator easily, but has trouble against the other capital ships cause it has less hp and firepower. This is lots of fun :).

Edit: But Victorys still slaughter my Venators :P. Ill see wether your changes will give me a chance :).
 Adonnay
03-07-2006, 2:57 PM
@mandead: Well... I'm not sure if you should put those numbers in yet since I don't know if they will stay like that but here they are:
Acclamator: 4x Tie, 2x Bomber
Nebulon: 3x Z95
Victory: 6x Tie, 4x Bomber
MC80: 5x Z95, 3x Y-Wing
Liberty: 7x X-Wing, 5x Y-Wing, 3x A-Wing
ISD: 10x Tie, 6x Bomber, 4x Avenger
Venator (E): 35x Tie, 25x Bomber
Venator (R): 28x X-Wing, 21x Y-Wing
Venator (P): 35x V-Wing
 Adonnay
03-07-2006, 3:00 PM
Okay... here you go: -> Version .007b (http://www.adonnai.de/eaw/Adonnay_eaw_007b_XMLonly.zip) <-

I've upgraded the torpedoes quite a bit, so use them, as well as the bombers or you still wont survive ;)

Edit: This is only a kind of patch, without the ART and TEXT folders so keep those two from the older version .007.
 rocketeer
03-07-2006, 3:40 PM
Its getting late over here so i will do the testing tomorrow, but i really liked what i saw of those torpedos :P. They rip tartans and those pirate frigates apart very nicely, as torpedos should.

P.S. Now this ship looks like a real fleet carrier, you would be crazy to comission a fleet without one of those. Just as a idea for the pirate version, why not give it those pirate fighters as secondary fighter type? Just for diversity.
 Adonnay
03-07-2006, 3:47 PM
I might do that... or a modified YT1300 as bomber... who knows. Right now the Pirates don't have any Venators anyway... unless I place them. I might add one as garrison on pirate bases... ah well. As you said... it's getting late and I'll leave the modding for tomorrow ;)
 Meethos
03-07-2006, 4:38 PM
Cool another version, thanks.

I loaded up my Rebel Galactic conflict with 007 to look at the changes. The Garrisons are a lot better now, thanks. I like the new plex troops and the rebel infantry do have a single plex soilder, which is nice.

Heres what a level 5 rebel station can do against 3 Victories, 2 Acclamators, 2 Broadsides, and 4 tie scouts. I was able to defeat only a single broadsize and 3 of the tie scouts. The battle was over in under 3 mins.
As I posted before stations are pathetic in both sheilds (perhaps increase its recharge rate), armament (underpowered, hardpoint strenght is fine), and fighter complement. As far as fighter complements go I dont know about them putting out the smaller ships, but they should have ALOT of fighters. I think they should initially laucnch about 6-12 squadrons at the start, with the abilliy to replenish them as need be. Perhaps Tal can provide us with Station Stats and fighter complements.
Other than that space battles are lots of fun.

Ok I went back and looked at my income, here is what I had, 15 planets with no mines only put out 1375 credits a day. Which is rather low. I then did is Tal sugguested and filled up my planets with as many mines as I could place, plus a single barracks and light factory. This increased my producton to 5855 credits a day, which feels right for the prices of units. Now what I don't agree with is that I must fill up all my build slots with mines to get a normal income. I think I should only have to build a single mine to get income were it should be. Otherwise why have the other buildings at all, if you are forced to build nothing but mines, plus the defensive buildings make ground combat more fun (Mines are boring).

If you want to make us play at lower tech levels for longer periods of them perhaps increase research times and the time it takes for C3PO/R2D2 to recharge.

My overall build cap was 178 with 15 planets with level 3 stations, building level 5 stations increased it to 224. When I was at the 178 level I was 9 points over the cap and here is what I had:
2 Assault Mk II
6 Nebulan-B
4 Corellian Corvettes
4 X-wings
4 Y-Wings
2 Infantry Plantons
1 Plex Soilder
Plus all the Hero units for the rebels

Now for owning 15 planets I don't think this is much of an army.
I was thinking perhaps all Hero units should be all be set to 1 or 0. At least for Galactic Campaign since we are forced to have them. Unlike skirmish were you choose to build them or not.
Should fighters be worth 0 or 1 as well, then increase the amount of squadrons ships garrison according to figures Tal can provide for us?

Well thats my 2 credits. Off to play 007b as the Empire now. Keep up the great work and thanks for the great mod.
 Tal Odo-ki
03-07-2006, 4:47 PM
@Adonnay: You should raise the damage output of fighter lasers to what they used to be (if you haven't already). The damage yield of a TIE's lasers (and the Y-wing's) is the same as the turbolasers on a Corellian Corvette. Thus a TIE squadron (12 according to canon) has more total firepower than the Corvette does. As a reminder, the X-wing has 20% more laser firepower than a TIE.

I also agree with Meethos that research times and C-3PO recharge should take longer. Fighters should be no more than 1 on cap, but not zero as that would lead to serious abuse (building endless hordes of them).
 Tal Odo-ki
03-07-2006, 5:17 PM
Imperial Space Stations:
Golan I: 28 turbolasers (4d10x5), 5 proton torpedo launchers (9d10x2), 6 tractor beams, 1231m long, Shields 200, Hull 400, DR 60.
Golan II: 35 turbolasers (5d10x5), 10 proton torpedo launchers (9d10x2), 8 tractor beams, 2158m long, Shields 260, Hull 400, DR 60.
Golan III: 50 turbolasers (5d10x5), 24 proton torpedo launchers (9d10x2), 15 tractor beams, 2600m long, Shields 400, Hull 560, DR 60.
Bavos I: 50x medium turbolasers (5d10x5), 50x Anti-starfighter laser cannons (5d10x2), Concussion missile bank (6d10x2, 30 reloads -- which is quadruple the reloads on a fighter), 1300m long, Shields 200, Hull 600, DR 60, 36 TIEs, 2 troop transports.
Bavos II: 100x medium turbolasers (5d10x5), 100x Anti-starfighter laser cannons (5d10x2), 3 Concussion missile banks (6d10x2, 30 reloads per), 2500m long, Shields 260, Hull 600, DR 80, 64 TIEs, 18 TIE bombers, 12 Xg-1 Assault Gunboats, dozens of troop transports, and 3 corvette to frigate-sized patrol vessels (2 IPV-1s and a Lancer frigate are typical).
Please note that the list above is not intended to fit neatly into the level 1 to 5 range of EAW stations. Also, I have never seen mention of a "Rebel" station in all my years of reading. The Rebels moved around too much and couldn't risk (or afford) the cost of a fixed emplacement like that. Cheaper and more useful to build lots more raiders (Corvettes) than even one small station.
 Adonnay
03-07-2006, 5:20 PM
I just fought a level 5 station with a MC80 a Liberty and some smaller stuff from the 2nd computer player and I lost my MC80, the Liberty was heavily damaged and the computer lost a few ships too I guess... that's at least with the 007b where I replaced the station torpedos with the heavy ones and increased the rate of fire for all stationary turbolasers and ion cannons. It's probably still not enough but I prefer to slowly increase it ;)

As for the cap, the lowest cap is the TIE fighter with 1, the rebel fighters take 2 or 3 points. I will increase the cap with higher level stations, I just forgot to take it into v007. In the next update, I promise.

Well as it is now one fighter does approx. the same damage as one shot of the Cor. Corvette, just splitted up into 2 or 4 shots, depending on the fighter. Here's the numbers:

Cor. Corvette light turbolaser: 5dmg * 1 shot / 2sec
X-Wing: 1.5dmg * 4 shots / 2sec

So it IS already as you describe it Tal.
 Tal Odo-ki
03-07-2006, 5:23 PM
So it IS already as you describe it Tal.
Thank you!
 Adonnay
03-07-2006, 5:37 PM
Updated Starbases (http://www.adonnai.de/eaw/STARBASES.XML) to raise the pop cap in galactic conflict mode (planets yet to come) for those who need it right away :)

edit: Don't forget to rightclick + save or your browser will try and interpret it.
 mandead
03-07-2006, 6:28 PM
I'm still busy with this Text File :)

Can I just say, if it hasn't, the Immobiliser-418 Interdictor should have a single TIE squadron (12 fighters).
 Tal Odo-ki
03-07-2006, 6:32 PM
Can I just say, if it hasn't, the Immobiliser-418 Interdictor should have a single TIE squadron (12 fighters).
Actually, according to canon, it should have 2 squadrons (24 fighters). Note that it's fighters-only, no bombers.

BTW, the canon version of the Marauder (ie: no missiles) carries 1 squadron of (12) fighters.
 mandead
03-07-2006, 6:35 PM
Okay, even better then :)

BTW, what happened in the end with the Marauders? We don't still have the made-up missile variant in the game do we?
 Tal Odo-ki
03-07-2006, 6:39 PM
BTW, what happened in the end with the Marauders? We don't still have the made-up missile variant in the game do we?
I haven't had the time to play with v6+ of the mod, so it may have changed, but the last time I looked the missile variant was still in the mod.
 mandead
03-07-2006, 6:40 PM
Okay, cheers.

Also, I updated the Interdictor on wikipedia. Originally, it said the ship carried 12 fighters (1 squadron) - I've changed that to 24, 2. :)

Adonnay...

SPACEUNITSCORVETTES.XML

<SpaceUnit Name="YT1300">
<Text_ID>TEXT_UNIT_MILLENNIUM_FALCON</Text_ID>
<Encyclopedia_Good_Against> TIE_Fighter TIE_Scout </Encyclopedia_Good_Against>
<Encyclopedia_Vulnerable_To> Tartan_Patrol_Cruiser </Encyclopedia_Vulnerable_To>
<Encyclopedia_Text> TEXT_TOOLTIP_MILLENNIUM_FALCON </Encyclopedia_Text>
<Encyclopedia_Unit_Class> TEXT_ENCYCLOPEDIA_CLASS_CORVETTE </Encyclopedia_Unit_Class>
<Icon_Name>i_button_millennium_falcon.tga</Icon_Name>

Change to...

<SpaceUnit Name="YT1300">
<Text_ID>TEXT_UNIT_YT1300</Text_ID>
<Encyclopedia_Good_Against> TIE_Fighter TIE_Scout </Encyclopedia_Good_Against>
<Encyclopedia_Vulnerable_To> Tartan_Patrol_Cruiser </Encyclopedia_Vulnerable_To>
<Encyclopedia_Text> TEXT_TOOLTIP_YT1300 </Encyclopedia_Text>
<Encyclopedia_Unit_Class> TEXT_ENCYCLOPEDIA_CLASS_CORVETTE </Encyclopedia_Unit_Class>
<Icon_Name>i_button_millennium_falcon.tga</Icon_Name>

<SpaceUnit Name="Merchant_Freighter">
<Text_ID>TEXT_UNIT_MERCHANT</Text_ID>
<Encyclopedia_Good_Against/>
<Encyclopedia_Vulnerable_To/>
<Space_Model_Name>NV_Shadowclaw.alo</Space_Model_Name>
<Icon_Name>I_button_shadowclaw.tga</Icon_Name>

Change to...

<SpaceUnit Name="Merchant_Freighter">
<Text_ID>TEXT_UNIT_SHADOWCLAW</Text_ID>
<Encyclopedia_Text> TEXT_TOOLTIP_SHADOWCLAW</Encyclopedia_Text>
<Encyclopedia_Good_Against/>
<Encyclopedia_Vulnerable_To/>
<Space_Model_Name>NV_Shadowclaw.alo</Space_Model_Name>
<Icon_Name>I_button_shadowclaw.tga</Icon_Name>

:) I added more strings to the text file. I shall continue to add more as more unit variants are added.
 mandead
03-07-2006, 7:19 PM
Where do I find the two new weapons platforms you've added?

I'll do the descriptions for you, it's just I need to know the string data :)
 Tal Odo-ki
03-07-2006, 9:26 PM
Found data for a "typical" fortified pirate asteroid, FWIW:

Size: varies in diameter, usually 300 - 400 meters
Shield Points: 400 (DR 40)
Hull Points: 400 (DR 40)
Weapon: Double laser cannon (6, point defense)
Fire Arc: 2 front, 1 left, 1 right, 2 back
Damage: 4d10x2
Weapon: Turbolasers (2)
Fire Arc: 2 turret
Damage: 3d10x5
Weapon: Proton torpedo launcher
Fire Arc: Front
Damage: 9d10x2
 Meethos
03-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Updated Starbases to raise the pop cap in galactic conflict mode (planets yet to come) for those who need it right away

Great thanks, thats alot better. I may be able to salvage that game now. I'll look forward to your planet update.

Fighters should be no more than 1 on cap, but not zero as that would lead to serious abuse (building endless hordes of them).

Point taken. One would be good.

On the space stations, weren't the Golan Defense Platforms used by most wealthy planets(regardless of affialiation) that could afford them. They usaully employed several of them as well.

Please note that the list above is not intended to fit neatly into the level 1 to 5 range of EAW stations. Also, I have never seen mention of a "Rebel" station in all my years of reading. The Rebels moved around too much and couldn't risk (or afford) the cost of a fixed emplacement like that. Cheaper and more useful to build lots more raiders (Corvettes) than even one small station.

Good point, I tend to think of Space Stations more abstractly as to represent the entire planets defenses. Wether they be multiple Golan Defense Platforms, land based fighter squadrons, etc.

I just fought a level 5 station with a MC80 a Liberty and some smaller stuff from the 2nd computer player and I lost my MC80, the Liberty was heavily damaged and the computer lost a few ships too I guess... that's at least with the 007b where I replaced the station torpedos with the heavy ones and increased the rate of fire for all stationary turbolasers and ion cannons. It's probably still not enough but I prefer to slowly increase it

Yeah those missiles sure do pack a punch. I still think their shields come down a little quick though. I look forward to those increases.

My Empire Galactic Conflict goes well. Its seems alot eaiser playing the Empire. AT-AT's rock!!! Though I sometimes miss the AT-AA when I get swarmed by Rebel Speeders. The AA range of AT-AT seems a bit low, as they won't attack them unless there real close to them.
I don't miss the Crawler at all or the SPMA-T either. I didn't use it in my rebel game, but the CPU uses the raid fearture, I think the increased unit amount is pretty good, they sure give me a run for the money.

Keep up the great work.
 wolfshadow
03-08-2006, 12:48 AM
For some reason, I can't build capital ships... I control Fondor and Sullust, with full space stations, and neither the MC80 or Liberty show up. Very frustrating.
 Tal Odo-ki
03-08-2006, 12:58 AM
If you are playing the Single Player Campaign, you won't be able to until you reach a certain point in the story.
 wolfshadow
03-08-2006, 1:04 AM
Galactic Conquest.. Not campaign, with Tech level set to 5...
 Adonnay
03-08-2006, 1:19 AM
Even at tech level 5 those two ship designs have to be stolen unlike before where you stole them at level 4.

@Meethos: Have you downloaded the updated starbases.xml from above? It raises the additional population cap gained with each base.
 Adonnay
03-08-2006, 1:31 AM
Where do I find the two new weapons platforms you've added?

I'll do the descriptions for you, it's just I need to know the string data :)

They're located in "SpaceBuildablesSkirmish.xml".
 rocketeer
03-08-2006, 2:42 AM
Hm about that battle where 3 Victorys + some stuff easily dispatched a lvl 5 station i think thats normal. I was able to take down the shields of a lvl 4 station with one victory alone, i dare say they might be more efficent than mon cals at it. The victorys also only have 3 weapon hardpoints, its easy to align them in a way all of them fire at the station.
Also the weapons are very accurate even at extreme distances, but as far as i can remember the victory was like that even in a unmodded game. I dont play empire that much, but the victory is imho the best ship in both modded and unmodded games. It is smaller than ISD or Mon cal and can thus navigate more easy, has a sizable fighter/bomber wing and that ion cannon takes down even capital ship shields pretty fast if you focus fire a bit, and it even hits corvettes fairly easily. And once the shields are down its usually game over anyway, so ion > everything else :D.

Edit: For a easy test just start a galactic conflict as the empire, you start with a victory. Here are some values from my test:
Time to take down the shields of a pirate base: 10 sec
Time to kill a pirate frigate: 4 sec
Time to kill a corvette: 4 sec
Time to kill a nebulon b: 8 sec
Time to take down the shields of a Venator: 12 sec

Then my Victory died above Hoth, 2 Venator + a lvl 2 station = fighter/bomber hell :).

What i noticed is that while the Victory kills all kinds of Shields VERY fast, he slows down considerably when the ship goes into hull. For example he might kill a pirate bases shields in 10 sec, but it still takes him pretty long to actually kill it.
 Meethos
03-08-2006, 3:51 AM
@Meethos: Have you downloaded the updated starbases.xml from above? It raises the additional population cap gained with each base.
Yep its alot better. Thanks for the quick update.

Updated Starbases to raise the pop cap in galactic conflict mode (planets yet to come) for those who need it right away
You eluded that you would later update the planets build cap, thats what I was refering to.

Hm about that battle where 3 Victorys + some stuff easily dispatched a lvl 5 station i think thats normal. I was able to take down the shields of a lvl 4 station with one victory alone, i dare say they might be more efficent than mon cals at it. The victorys also only have 3 weapon hardpoints, its easy to align them in a way all of them fire at the station.
Also the weapons are very accurate even at extreme distances, but as far as i can remember the victory was like that even in a unmodded game. I dont play empire that much, but the victory is imho the best ship in both modded and unmodded games. It is smaller than ISD or Mon cal and can thus navigate more easy, has a sizable fighter/bomber wing and that ion cannon takes down even capital ship shields pretty fast if you focus fire a bit, and it even hits corvettes fairly easily. And once the shields are down its usually game over anyway, so ion > everything else .
Good to know its not just me. So instead of toning down the Victory, lets just increase stations shield strength and its recharge rate. :D
Oh yeah and increase the amount of fighter garrisons they have. :D

Preferably I like to space battles to be long dragged out fights. So once we acheive a proper balance perhaps then we can scale them up. I hope everyone else likes long epic space battles too.:D

I've been having fun with the new update, thanks alot. I look forward to your future updates. Keep up the great work.

@Woflshadow: I started up a rebel Galactic Conquest and have no problems building either ships at the mentioned planets.

Edited for spelling.
 Adonnay
03-08-2006, 3:52 AM
The problem is the three hardpoints... because of that I have to focus its turbolaser firepower on two hardpoints and his ion cannon on one. That way its easy for a Victory to cocentrate all its firepower on one target whereas other ships like the Mon Cal can hardly ever aim all weapons at one target.

@Meethos: The garrison has already been increased slightly (i.e. the rebels now get an assault frigate at level 5 in addition to the Nebulon, the empire gets 1 acclamator at 4 + another one at 5. The fighters have been upped as well).
 Meethos
03-08-2006, 3:59 AM
@Meethos: The garrison has already been increased slightly (i.e. the rebels now get an assault frigate at level 5 in addition to the Nebulon, the empire gets 1 acclamator at 4 + another one at 5. The fighters have been upped as well).
Awsome thanks.
 rocketeer
03-08-2006, 4:02 AM
Im still finetuning the Venator btw and have a few ideas, just tell me if im bothering you :).
First i gave it <Visible_On_Radar_When_Fogged>true</Visible_On_Radar_When_Fogged>, so that it shows up on radar like Mon Cals or ISDs, you really want to know wether your enemy is having a carrier or not(Not tested). That might also need <Multisample_FOW_Check>Yes</Multisample_FOW_Check>, no idea what that does, but all other capital ships seem to have it.

Next i raised AI_Combat_Power from 3000 to 4500, hopefully that fixes the AI attacking systems protected by a venator with much to weak forces, that is the same value as a MC 80, cause it is only relevant for the AI and i like a good fight.

Next i changed Asteroid_Damage_Hit_Particles from small to large, same value as MC 80 again, its the same size, it should take same damage by asteriods.

Further i changed Space_FOW_Reveal_Range from 1200(400 less then a nebulon b) to 2000(500 less then a MC 80, no idea if thats a realistic value for a carrier).

I also increased the energy_capacity from 3000 to 4500(500 less then the MC 80). I believe thats only relevant for getting hit by Y-Wings ion cannon?
And lastly i increased the Population_Value to 18(2 less then a MC 80).

All in all i think this brings the ship more in line with the class its supposed to be in, of course the actual numbers are attained by wildly guessing :P.

I would really like to fix the stacking with other units, for example if you put a nebulon and a Venator together you see the nebulon as picture for the stack, no idea how to fix that :).

P.S. I couldnt bring myself to increasing the price of the ship, i just cant :(.

Edit: @Adonnay: Maybe you could try slowly and silently increasing the defenses of space stations each version, until someone complains, then you go back one version :D
 Meethos
03-08-2006, 4:10 AM
Those Venerator changes sound good.

Next i changed Asteroid_Damage_Hit_Particles from small to large, same value as MC 80 again, its the same size, it should take same damage by asteriods.
Speaking of asteroid damage, did the Tartan ever get updated, since its size got increased??

As always keep up the great work, and thanks for the quick replies(and a great mod).
 rocketeer
03-08-2006, 4:19 AM
Those Venerator changes sound good.

Speaking of asteroid damage, did the Tartan ever get updated, since its size got increased??

As always keep up the great work, and thanks for the quick replies(and a great mod).

Well unless i am mistaken they got not changed(looking at the files), however that might be a problem anyway. Some mines are in asteriod fields, so the rebel player could defend his with corvettes and the imperial had to use fighters to protect his own. Besides if we go by size they should are easily hittable for frigates and capital ships, no idea how this works out in canon ...

Edit: According to this source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corellian_Corvette) the corvette gets used by the empire aswell, maybe just give it also to the empire and look for a different role for the tartan? Tal anything to say about this?

Edit2: Just ment to say that it looks weird for such a big ship to have the same role and characteristics as the much smaller corvette.
 Smala
03-08-2006, 4:23 AM
hey mate, great mod.. easily the best so far imo. :)

anyway i was just wondering if/how it's possible to revert back to the old laser graphics? i saw a answer earlier to the question and tried it but it seemed to mess with my tartans and bombers in quite a bad way.

also had you given any thought to adding an imperial version of the infiltrator? possibly letting them and only them use the raid feature?

either way it's been said before but excellent work and keep it up. :)
 Adonnay
03-08-2006, 4:24 AM
Asteroid_Damage_Hit_Particles is only the visual effect so it should have no effect on the actual damage taken from asteroids. The other changes sound good, yes. These are the small changes that get quickly overlooked due to the mass of changes I make everyday... thanks for pointing them out to me :)

As for the Tartan... I haven't actually tested it yet, but the game now recognizes it as a frigate (I did this because of its size... this also affects the hit chances for enemy fire). This should enable asteroid damage if I'm not mistaken...

And I have to thank you for your interest and your great help in contributing your ideas/suggestions and testing what mess I've fabricated ;)
 haard
03-08-2006, 4:25 AM
Give the Corellian Corvette to both and ditch the Tartan?
 Adonnay
03-08-2006, 4:26 AM
@Smala: Well reverting back is not THAT easily done. First you'll have to delete the ART folder and second you need to revert the speed and size of all projectiles back to the original value or they will look very odd. Do not delete the projectiles.xml as suggested further up... this will probably make your game crash since there are also new projectiles needed for some of the ships.

@haard: I don't like the Tartan either... but somehow that just wouldn't feel right I think. Though the empire might use them in the EU, they're still a kind of icon for the rebel alliance due to their appearance in the films only on the rebel side.
 Smala
03-08-2006, 4:33 AM
wow thanks for the quick reply it's appreciated.. i'll give it a shot now and see how it goes - cheers.
 Tal Odo-ki
03-08-2006, 4:54 AM
The Corellian Corvette is, indeed, also used by the Empire, but not by the Imperial Navy, nor in an anti-fighter role. (There are many Imperial organizations that use warships besides the Navy.) They are typically found in their role as personal transports for Imperial officials who aren't important enough (or not in favor) to rate a frigate or cruiser. The Imperial Navy uses the Lancer frigate for anti-fighter operations.

Regarding the Tartan's size, it's from the official Star Wars website. Personally, I think someone at LucasArts made a (pardon the pun) big mistake. It shouldn't be more than 200-250m long, at most, IMO.
 Adonnay
03-08-2006, 4:56 AM
What about the IPV? In the X-Wing games the empire used it quite extensively.

Edit: Btw. the tartan does not take damage from asteroids yet... *grumbles*
 Tal Odo-ki
03-08-2006, 4:58 AM
The IPV is an Imperial anti-pirate vessel, not an anti-fighter one, meant for local system defense. It lacks a hyperdrive. That EAW uses it in pirate systems is something I find deeply offensive to my sense of canon.
 Adonnay
03-08-2006, 5:03 AM
Back to the Tartan: If even Tal thinks the Tartan is too large then I just revert them back to their original size (more or less). Those giant Tartans really looked odd, didn't they?

On the IPV-topic: I gave the pirates the YT1300 and Shadowclaw as fighter defense... I might as well remove the IPV and put em on space stations as ... well... system patrol craft garrison unit.
 Tal Odo-ki
03-08-2006, 5:21 AM
Back to the Tartan: If even Tal thinks the Tartan is too large then I just revert them back to their original size (more or less). Those giant Tartans really looked odd, didn't they?
How about you make them 250m long, which is the length of the Lancer frigate, the ship that LA should have used instead of inventing a new ship for this game that serves the exact same purpose as the Lancer. Stupid LA.

On the IPV-topic: I gave the pirates the YT1300 and Shadowclaw as fighter defense... I might as well remove the IPV and put em on space stations as ... well... system patrol craft garrison unit.
Great idea! Just don't put IPVs on Imp or Rebel stations smaller than L3.
Page: 5 of 5