Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

When is bonus stuff becoming available for PC??

Page: 1 of 3
 biny
01-13-2006, 12:54 PM
When is bonus stuff becoming available for PC?? Will it be available for PC??

I hope it does.

I mean the download for Xbox with Kit Fisto, etc.

Does anyone know??
 biny
01-13-2006, 2:33 PM
This maybe in the wrong place but I would really appreciate a reply because I really wanna know.
 Commander Obi-Wan
01-13-2006, 4:53 PM
Be patient my young padawan.
 MachineCult
01-13-2006, 7:43 PM
Yeah cool it biny.
 PoiuyWired
01-13-2006, 8:24 PM
well, even a sith would know to bid his time sometimes.
 zerted
01-13-2006, 9:30 PM
From what I heard, it was going to be released early January. Guess not.
 KenobiChronicle
01-13-2006, 9:43 PM
PS2 PEOPLE! It's in most need.
 KonKushn
01-14-2006, 1:14 AM
They are busy trying to finish the Xbox patch which has top priority. The PC patch is on the back burner until the Xbox patch is complete. The end of the month would be more realistic, but it could be longer.

Sorry for the bad news.

-k
 Commander Obi-Wan
01-14-2006, 8:08 PM
I have a PS2 and I see they aren't planning to make it for PS2, but I could honestly care less, knowing that I don't play it anymore.
 FCMan
01-18-2006, 10:38 PM
Yeah PC patch, I hope it comes soon. but I doubt we'll ever see the Patch for PS2.

The files are just too big to fit on a memory card, and no one ever gave support for the PS2 HardDrive. I remember playing SW:BF1 for PS2 and wondering why they didn't put out the patches(like Jabba's map) on PS2 for the players with the PS2 HDD.

That's why I got BF2 for PC :D
 zerted
01-19-2006, 1:23 AM
...remember playing SW:BF1 for PS2 and wondering why they didn't put out the patches(like Jabba's map) on PS2 for the players with the PS2 HDD.
That's why I got BF2 for PC :DThe force has granted you the power of forsight! What else do you see?
 MandaloreBIC
01-19-2006, 1:29 AM
yes, rhen var and bespin are in again! i love those maps, they're my favoriate from bf1, and extra jedi heros too! :p, i couldn't be happier, alough i'm expecting it late feb. apparently it's not gonna be out on time :(
 teeth_03
01-19-2006, 6:34 AM
it would be nice if they made a PSP patch,it can fit on a memory stick probably (or more likely than the standard 32 meg over the 8 meg PS2 mem card),I got a 1 gig card with like 500 megs free right now,lol

they should do something about the 6.3/10 score the PSP version got. They dont need to be ****ten on the little guy who wants to play it wherever he goes. I hope they consider that after the PC patch comes out.
 toue
01-19-2006, 10:46 AM
so it's been confirmed they ARE creating the patch for pc as well? hip hip ho haw! *dances like a mascot*
 SirLancelot
01-19-2006, 2:12 PM
Yeah PC patch, I hope it comes soon. but I doubt we'll ever see the Patch for PS2.

The files are just too big to fit on a memory card, and no one ever gave support for the PS2 HardDrive. I remember playing SW:BF1 for PS2 and wondering why they didn't put out the patches(like Jabba's map) on PS2 for the players with the PS2 HDD.

That's why I got BF2 for PC :D

You can thank Sony for that. They pretty much abandoned their own harddrive, after having people spend hundreds of dollars on it.
 Kurgan
01-19-2006, 2:39 PM
I'll believe it when I see it... it seems like Pandemic plans things and then doesn't follow through with them (ie: the old 1.3 patch for SWBF1 is STILL in beta... and they pretty much ignored most of our suggestions for the SWBF2 beta).

Look, if LucasArts and Pandemic redeem themselves on these things, fine, I'll eat my words. But for now it doesn't look good for the PC version. No communication, nothing. Even if they were to parrot this Xbox "patch" and just give us a couple of maps from SWBF1 and a couple new Jedi Heroes and a couple of more maps with the "Celebrity Deathmatch" option, that wouldn't be enough to keep the game fresh in my opinion. It seriously needs a BUG FIX patch and the admin/server system needs serious re-working (using the in-game chat to issue server commands, what is this, 1996?). That in-game chat is horribly placed, such that you have to type really slowly and you can't see what you're writing, unless you go very slowly. Those server launchers need more work (still beta), and they need to release a Linux server distribution. And how about those ship HUDs like we had in the first game?

Otherwise the game just won't have long lasting online appeal for me, or for many other gamers. The game's only been out 2 months (I could have waited one more month to see if they'd fix up the game, but we're already most of the way through January). SWBF1 has had 26 servers for a long, long time. That's pathetic! If SWBF2 wants to be more than just a single player flash in the pan for PC, a serious patch or two is needed for the PC.

And what is this about not allowing modding? Apparently we're not allowed to mod the game, but that may change, with a change in liscense and the release of official unsupported tools. But I'm not sure what happened with that thing, it's been awhile since I checked. I can understand them giving new content to console users since they can't create or download mods for the game. But denying PC users mods arbitrarily for a game that's clearly moddable (like SWBF1 was) strikes me as unnecessarily restrictive and self-defeating.

Let's hope they learn from their mistakes...
Don't get me wrong, the SWBF series has vast potential, and I get a little upset to see it squandered like this.

If they don't fix this game up and were to release a SWBF3 on the same engine, in say, a year's time, I don't think I'd fall for the same trick twice...

It really is LucasArts's fault for rushing this game (as well as the previous one) for marketing purposes and sticking it with a company that apparently doesn't have adequate budget and/or manpower to get the job done. I know this comes off as really cynical, but this is like SWBF1 all over again! Arggh.. please prove me wrong, developers!
 PoiuyWired
01-19-2006, 3:36 PM
You can thank Sony for that. They pretty much abandoned their own harddrive, after having people spend hundreds of dollars on it.

Well, partly cause the HDD is a pirate haven with the right mods...

Back to BF2, I think Mod tools will come out... well people are going to mod it anyways, mod tools or not, and nothing can stop that (its either being modder friendly, or we go torrent with things, but we WILL mod it).

BF1 mod tools are acceptable, so even tools with the same quality will be welcomed.
 toue
01-19-2006, 6:18 PM
there's one possible bad thing aboutreturning bespin, what if they shut out the ships? those things were half the fun of platforms, and ike half the strategies for it involved them somehow
 Alkonium
01-19-2006, 6:22 PM
there's one possible bad thing aboutreturning bespin, what if they shut out the ships? those things were half the fun of platforms, and ike half the strategies for it involved them somehow
Simple, they don't have Platforms in it, only Cloud City, which has no ships.
 Kurgan
01-19-2006, 9:13 PM
Well, partly cause the HDD is a pirate haven with the right mods...

Back to BF2, I think Mod tools will come out... well people are going to mod it anyways, mod tools or not, and nothing can stop that (its either being modder friendly, or we go torrent with things, but we WILL mod it).

BF1 mod tools are acceptable, so even tools with the same quality will be welcomed.

I think you forget the place of this site and forum in the grand scheme of things. If LucasArts considers mod-making for this game illegal and forbids it, we'll be obliged not to allow postings of stuff mod related, except to tell people to do it someplace else. That would be unfortunate. If we do modding against their wishes, that's no good. We might as well condone piracy. I agree it would be very stupid if they continued to forbid mod making for SWBF2, but allow it (as they right did) for SWBF1. It'd be inconsistent and foolish, artificially limiting the life of the game even more. Anyway, let's hope they reconsider, for their sakes as well as our's.

With modding we can add ships to any maps that lack them or make our own maps with vehicles. The trouble is getting people to download and use these mods. That's why it's always better for the game company to provide all these things out of box or in official patches that people are obligated to download, rather than expecting mod makers to patch all the holes in the game. Still, if modding isn't even allowed, that will make even such unofficial patches difficult... Let's face reality, if mod making is forbidden, but still possible, it will shrink to a fraction of what it would be if it were openly permitted or encouraged. All Lucas Legal has to do is threaten a few major sites and mod making will be forced into the underground and the well will dry up.

Throwing us a few maps we've already seen before and some new skins is fine and dandy. I'd expect at LEAST that much for the PC crowd if they're doing that for the Xbox users. But it'll quickly be forgotten without modding. Just think of what SWBF1 would be like if the only addon we ever had for the game was Jabba's Palace? Then again the online play of that game is still seriously flawed (the fact that 1.3 was only a "beta" patch means very few people use it, even though it's quite an improvement over 1.2, and many of the improvements were carried over to the sequel).

Why would they forbid modding? My cynical side says they don't want to threaten official expansions and sequels that are closer on the horizon than we might realize, perhaps on the same engine. Perhaps they fear we will lose faith in their rushed products and perfer our own unofficial creations? Let's hope that's not the case. Let's hope they're more farsighted than that!
 MandaloreBIC
01-20-2006, 12:46 AM
un... i know your the admin and all, but plz don't get all hype and spam on us, and how do you type so much anyway? O_O
 zerted
01-20-2006, 1:12 AM
He is not spamming us. Everything Kurgan said is correct. It is illegal to mod SWBF2 (though apperently not creating maps?). Read the EULA that you accepted when you installed the game. You can be sued for breaking ANYTHING that is in there. Saying 'its too hard to understand' or 'you didn't know' won't help you in court.

Following LucasArts' pattern with SWBF1 and SWBF2, I don't think they want mods so the can get as much money as possible out of the series. They will make a half expansion to SWBF2 and sell it as SWBF3. If people where to make good mods, why would they buy a new half updated version of the game? They are a company, companies exist for one reason: to make profit

(stupid software pantents)
 MandaloreBIC
01-20-2006, 1:35 AM
oh, i see your points, who actually reads all taht stuff in the lisence agreeement? besides go to www.starwarsbattlefront.filefront.com), and there are plenty of hex edits there...
 zerted
01-20-2006, 5:05 AM
...who actually reads all taht stuff in the lisence agreeement?... I do. Its always nice to know what type of spyware they are using on you. :sign2:
 Naso
01-22-2006, 4:32 PM
So there's no official announcement of an upcoming pc patch at all, just anticipation of it in light of the xbox update?? I take it it would be too much to hope that they'd reduce the game speed just a little so it didn't look like i was fast-forwarding one of the movies.........
 zerted
01-22-2006, 8:08 PM
There is an official announcment of the upcoming PC patch: http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=99431&tstart=0)
There just isn't any press release about it.
 PoiuyWired
01-23-2006, 3:36 PM
MOD TOOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yum!
 Kurgan
01-24-2006, 12:51 PM
xtmn8r
Total Posts: 68

The PC update and new Dedicated Server are fully in test right now. Assuming everything looks good, we should be rolling it out by the end of the month.

The PC Update will include many bugs fixes, performance improvements & minor gameplay tweaks and other miscellaneous changes.

With the release of this update, we will also be rolling out a new Dedicated Server that will be required to host PC games using this updated version. The New Dedicated Server will also have all its enhanced features fully functional. If you are curious on what features will be available, check out our PS2 Server update we just released as its features are very similar.

Shortly after the release of the PC update, we will be releasing the MOD Tools. The MOD Tools are almost done & is mostly waiting on the finalization of the PC Update & Server Update so we can insure it works properly with the current version of the game & vice versa. We should be able to give you a better timeline on the Mod Tools once the PC Update is released

Hooray! Finally, we're seeing some results. I wonder why they're keeping it so quiet? Maybe there was some problem getting it through. In any case, hopefully they can deliver on this. It sounds great, but again I'm still slightly skeptical until I see it actually happen. But since the "end of the month" is literally a week away, we won't have long to wait.
The game sure could use it...! (it needs a true patch far more than just some throwaway "bonus content")

Good luck Pandemic!
 mima kake
01-24-2006, 4:53 PM
well maybe it will be worth the wait.
 ParanoidAndroid
01-24-2006, 5:40 PM
Sweoot! I'm definetly willing to wait so long as the patch it good.
 Justus
01-24-2006, 5:46 PM
Sounds good, really want to get my hands on the modding tools.
 Kurgan
01-25-2006, 3:44 PM
well maybe it will be worth the wait.

If you mean the bonus content... probably not. If it's just like the Xbox bonus content patch, then it won't be. Two new Jedi Heroes, a couple more maps given the option to play in "Celebrity Deathmatch Mode"? Definately not worth it for the couple minutes of fun that will entail (I personally thought CDM was quite overrated... it's only really of interest to test out heroes you aren't familiar with yet). Porting over a couple more maps from SWBF1 is a good thing, though for all we know those maps will be nerfed and tinkered with to the point where they are unrecognizable. Hopefully not, but you never know. Bespin was one of the least fun SWBF1 maps for me, but that could be remedied with proper AI and better pathing.

Now a properly done patch, hmm, I'm divided on that. It might be better to have them issue a major fix patch now, and then keep churning out fixes at a regular rate, rather than making us wait for months and months and months, then issue one major patch and stop supporting the game forever. Now this might sound odd to some people to say this. Maybe they'll say, one big patch would be better because it would cause less confusion among people of which patch to use and prevent people from "holding out" on one version of the game that they like before it was "ruined" by said patch (that of course assumes gameplay changes will occur that will cause such a "split" in the community).

I see it as a good thing because if you wait too long, you risk losing more people who would have stayed if you'd just fixed X, Y, or Z. So you have negative word of mouth that prevents other people from getting into the game until much later after its popularity has begun to die down more. Also if you wait too long for a patch, you risk creating a solid "we refuse to upgrade" contingent. Also, you negate the ability to release a patch and get community feedback from it for the next one. The community could test the new patch and see what to do for the next one. If you just release one big patch, fire and forget, it's much worse for the community overall.

Obviously a patch is better than no patch, but still.
 MachineCult
01-25-2006, 3:47 PM
lol, Kurgan your epic posts never cease to amaze me, you commented 3 paragraphs on an 8 word quote.
I've been thinking about getting it on the PC and this bonus stuff might seal the deal.
 Kurgan
01-25-2006, 9:26 PM
Quite.
 Fate's Decision
01-25-2006, 10:22 PM
(How do you type so much? It's like your brain is spilling into the keyboard!)

Hmm...I am happy for the release of the mod for PC, but why did they go with xbox first? Star Wars Battlefront 2 was converted first for the PC version. Look at the introduction to the PC version compared to that of the consoles. I love mysteries. Actually, I hate them. Sci-Fi to the max.
 Kurgan
01-26-2006, 7:10 PM
The console community I think is more profitable for them, plus they're less willing to wait a long time for a patch (if they get one at all), so that's probably why they're being favored in the short term here at least.
 zerted
01-27-2006, 12:44 AM
The console community I think is more profitable for them...They are expanding towards the console community. Check out their open jobs: all for console developers.
 daventry
01-27-2006, 2:51 AM
01 Is the Patch coming out next Month, i dont even know how to play the Game no more and i forgot my keys on how to play it.

02 Its laying on my shelf "full" of dust since i bought it and finished it a week later. Im now so tempted to sell the Game now for 5 bucks, even thou i bought it for 30 bucks.

03 When the Patch comes out, i hope the Graphics looks like SWBF1

04 What happend to BF2, why did LucasArts turn such a cool Game into the baddest graphics and buggiest Game, were they trying to show us something new. I mean, why did they not just stay to the same Engine, same Graphics, Same Levels with brand new added ones.

05 Now with all that wasted money and the efford they have putted in, they have to work extra hard again to fix the Game "again".

06 What did Goerge Lucas say about this bad Game.
 Naso
01-27-2006, 7:32 AM
It's really too bad no one can make a mod that slows it down and adds some skill to the game... I get top score a lot when I play and I'm always startled, because it's just random chaos where you don't have time to even aim more than with movement and stuffjust blows up all around you and you die. If you hang back and try to snipe sometimes you get some good shots, and sometimes the person just lag-warps all around...... If they're not going to work on their game they should at least let someone else.....
 Kurgan
01-27-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure what people mean when they say the game is too fast. It feels just as fast as SWBF1. But then maybe I need to fire that game up again to compare. I remember it being the same though. Ditto for the graphics. Other than shifting some things around, the graphics pretty much look just as good (or bad) in SWBF2 as in SWBF1, at least to me.
 PoiuyWired
01-27-2006, 11:55 AM
Well, the movement of the troopers does seem to be slower on BF1.

Oh and due to the stupid "everyone shoot at the PC" AI change it does seem harder. If anything is really speed up siginficantl it would be the flying vehicles, but w/o land maps we can't really compare.
 Kurgan
01-27-2006, 2:01 PM
Well, obviously you can sprint in SWBF2 and the Jedi can move pretty fast, but the troopers seem the same to me. You're right the space maps don't count, but I assumed most people were talking about comparing say, Geonosis, Hoth, Endor, Tatooine in SWBF1 to those maps in SWBF2. Yes there are many subtle differences between the two games (dang it, I need to get working on that site of mine!), but speed doesn't seem to be one of them.

But I'll do some testing when I have time and if I'm wrong, I'll eat my words.. ;)
 Naso
01-27-2006, 3:46 PM
Well, I've not played BF1, stayed away when I heard it had so many problems, but broke down and got the second one, so can't compare to that, but the fastest game I knew of before this was AvP 1. I always played as alien in that, and did pretty well, so I'm ok with speed generally. In BF2 at least, it feels like the running is much faster than the animations, and more importantly the netcode can't really keep up, so people teleport around a lot. In this game, I've gotten best results by aiming as much with my movement as my mouse and generally holding down the trigger. It just moves too fast to have burst fire, use of cover, and a sort of tactical element like bafflefield or even cs if you're really generous, but the environments are too crowded and not quite right for it to have more of the death-match feel of fast games like quake. Does that make any sense? I'm not trying to flame or troll or whatnot. There's a lot I really like about the game, but it gets very very frustrating at times and could have been so much better.
 Kurgan
01-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Oh you mean "fast" in the sense that a lot of stuff can kill you in one hit? That's at least what AvsP was like for me. Many people felt that its online play was unbalanced, but it was always small without decent dedicated server support. ;P
 Naso
01-30-2006, 7:42 AM
Yeah, AvP had its fair share of problems, was mostly using it to show that it's not bad reflexes or something. I like games with one hit kills and stuff, it's more that the movement speed outpaces the netcode and animations so it's hard to effectively aim more than holding down the trigger and trying to vaguely point towards their heads while running at them. When I try to snipe people warp all over the place. If it were a little slower with fewer hp, so I could plan/take individual shots it'd be a lot more interesting. Maybe if the explosives were slightly less common too, (not any less powerful), that would help.
 Kurgan
01-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Ah, so the "speed" people talk about in SWBF2 isn't so much actual speed, as lag problems and ghosting. That makes more sense. I was thinking people were saying it was like Super Battlefront II: Hyper Fighting or something. ;)

I remember how SWBF had the "problem" of AI that just stood there, but could see you no matter where you were and had perfect aim.
 MachineCult
01-30-2006, 12:25 PM
SWBF2 has that problem as much as SWBF1 had, but in SWBF2 there are points on maps where 5 or 6 AI get stuck, and don't do anything.
 Commander Obi-Wan
01-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Sorry if this is old news, SWBF2 Expansion (http://www.starwars.com/gaming/videogames/news/news20060127.html).
 MachineCult
01-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Thats the bonus stuff this thread is refering to.
 Commander Obi-Wan
01-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Thats the bonus stuff this thread is refering to.

Go Figure. Damn...I wish the SWBF2 Expansion was also for PS2. Meh. I complain to much. And I don't even play SWBF2 anymore. But, it would've benn nice to have it for PS2.
Page: 1 of 3