Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

When is bonus stuff becoming available for PC??

Page: 2 of 3
 MachineCult
01-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Yeah I would have loved it too. I might buy it on the PC if it is released for the PC.
 Naso
01-30-2006, 2:50 PM
Yeah, the netcode just really can't keep up, and the animations don't seem to match with how fast people move.
 PoiuyWired
01-30-2006, 6:10 PM
well, look at how many servers you can find on the net...

Oh, and can anyone actually play this game in asia online?

I hate playing at 200+ ping.
 Naso
01-30-2006, 6:33 PM
Even when I have around 60-70 ping, it's kinda dodgey.
 Alkonium
01-30-2006, 6:34 PM
Even when I have around 60-70 ping, it's kinda dodgey.
Sometimes it's bad at 24 ping, but maybe my standards are too high.
 MachineCult
01-30-2006, 6:36 PM
lol, it sounds like they are.
 zerted
01-30-2006, 8:08 PM
Sometimes it's bad at 24 ping, but maybe my standards are too high.Its not your standards, its your settings. Turn down your graphics settings and you will get a smoother preformance.
 Naso
01-30-2006, 8:48 PM
Well mine's nothing to do with frame rate, and you'd have to have everyone at a pretty decent ping for it to work well, which isn't very likely, and many other games don't have this problem.
 THX1138_Scorpio
01-30-2006, 9:21 PM
It is possible to reduce lag through the game's code. As SWBF1 was updated again again and again, the game seemed to run smoother and smoother until they released their perpetual beta 1.3 as Kurgan so eloquently noted. I've also noticed that in SWBF2, lag seems to be more of a general idea of how difficult it is for someone to play than a defining number.
 Kurgan
01-31-2006, 12:41 PM
Perhaps they could help eleviate the lag problem if they were to release a linux dedicted server for people to use. This would encourage companies to offer servers for this game like other popular FPS games, and that would in turn mean less lag and more servers to join. Everybody wins...

Though microsoft might be a little more unhappy... but c'mon, they're just pissing off their customers by not offering options!
 minilogoguy18
01-31-2006, 1:00 PM
i dont see why people think how much better the xbox release is when its nothing compared to the mod tools for PC which allow endless possiblities. im sure chris fusco (lead modeler for pandemic) would probably release the asajj and kit models eventually. if not then someone could always make them, i have the skeleton but im not that great at modeling humanoids but since neomarz is my buddy i could maybe get his asajj model, i have the skeleton fully set up and i have everything i need to do it. i cant beleive that one person that i talked to actually didnt think it was possible to add new units and animations into the game when ive already seen it done and have been playing with it myself. if you guys go to gametoast.com 2 of the guys from pandemic post there and one is a moderator, after lookin around you wont be so jeleous of the models that xbox gets especially when you can make anything you want for the game while that update is as much as theyll probably ever get.
 PoiuyWired
01-31-2006, 3:39 PM
well, the game simply is badly optimized for network play... I wish they can do something about it.
 Fate's Decision
01-31-2006, 8:20 PM
I'm not sure what people mean when they say the game is too fast. It feels just as fast as SWBF1. But then maybe I need to fire that game up again to compare. I remember it being the same though. Ditto for the graphics. Other than shifting some things around, the graphics pretty much look just as good (or bad) in SWBF2 as in SWBF1, at least to me.

Well, the editors of SWBFII decided that they didn't like the way the CPs in SWBF were set up so they dicided to mess with them (I don't know why, they're perfectly fine). Whatever they did to change them, they now are captured much more easily. It seems impossible to keep any of the command posts that you aren't currently posted at and protecting. They don't even really matter that much anymore, because there is less activity and you can't hold onto them anyway. Sinse the command posts go by twice as fast, it also seems as though the game flies by.
 Kurgan
01-31-2006, 11:53 PM
Well, the editors of SWBFII decided that they didn't like the way the CPs in SWBF were set up so they dicided to mess with them (I don't know why, they're perfectly fine). Whatever they did to change them, they now are captured much more easily. It seems impossible to keep any of the command posts that you aren't currently posted at and protecting. They don't even really matter that much anymore, because there is less activity and you can't hold onto them anyway. Sinse the command posts go by twice as fast, it also seems as though the game flies by.

Just out of curiosity, are you talking about Multiplayer against humans? Becuase that's primarily what I was thinking of. I will admit that most of my online games with SWBF1 were plagued by lag and as a result, virtually unplayable. SWBF2 on the other hand was much better, and I felt the AI was significantly improved. I agree that the smaller maps do go by fast in Conquest Mode, but I thought people were talking about actual MOVEMENT SPEED in combat, which I didn't notice having changed (except with regards to sprinting, but also keep in mind they removed air support from virtually all the ground maps and slowed down some vehicle movement).

Not to sound like I'm attacking you or anything, but what exactly is the problem with losing command posts that you're not defending? Why should it be hard to capture undefended command points? I don't understand why this is a valid criticism of the game...
 Kurgan
02-01-2006, 12:07 AM
i dont see why people think how much better the xbox release is when its nothing compared to the mod tools for PC which allow endless possiblities. im sure chris fusco (lead modeler for pandemic) would probably release the asajj and kit models eventually.

I guess from one point of view you could say that as a console port, it's going to be somehow "optimized" for consoles. One could look at the release of the meager bonus material on the Xbox as a "bonus" since currently mods for the PC version are officially forbidden (though that may change, hopefully with the release of official tools in a few days/weeks).

But honestly, yes, there is no reason to say the console version is actually "better" because the PC has the capability of better graphics (simply because you can increase the res beyond TV capable resolutions and with better hardware get higher framerate). You have your choice of controllers (rather than being stuck with Xbox controllers for example), and can take screen caps. The PC version will also go down in price, whereas the console version will stay at regular price for a much longer period, simply because console gamers are used to this sort of thing. Console games only go down in price after a long time, if the game's popularity has plunged, or when a new, better system comes out and people start selling off their old collections to buy the new one (ie: Xbox 360). Patches, if they ever come, will be much easier to implement on the PC, since you don't have to pay a fee for an extra external service (since, correct me if I'm wrong, you have to pay for Xbox Live! AND for online service with the Xbox) to download a patch, and patches are rarer for console games anyway since anything significantly large would require harddrive space being taken up. But yes, all things being equal, the PC version is clearly superior, or at least has the potential to be.

What works against the SWBF series on the PC is that other competing products exist that are of higher quality. So relatively speaking, it doesn't seem as good. On the console there are fewer, better substitutes, perhaps, making it seem more attractive. But comparing the two, I don't see why you'd go with the lower budget version...

if not then someone could always make them, i have the skeleton but im not that great at modeling humanoids but since neomarz is my buddy i could maybe get his asajj model, i have the skeleton fully set up and i have everything i need to do it.

Right, but that's never a given. Lots of times a game has come out and people have said "oh well, modders will do this and that" and often those kinds of things are simply not taken up by modders to make. None of the things suggested by the Xbox update sound too difficult relatively speaking, but we have no idea the quality of the tools that will be released. After all, were quality model creation tools available for SWBF1? You'd need to create new models, animations, etc, not just textures, and reskinning an existing model wouldn't be quite as good. If there is some legal restriction on porting the exact models somehow from the Xbox to PC that would be another obstacle, since people are assuming a "quick fix" exists. My bet is that if they don't release the Xbox content also for the PC officially it won't happen for a long time, if ever, even if PC mod tools are released. There's simply far more interesting things to create than Asajj Ventress and Kit Fisto. Porting over the SWBF1 maps (if allowed) would be something a lot more people would probably like to see though. Still, I could see sites like PCgamemods balking at something like this, considering how they've reacted to for example, Jedi Outcast maps playable on Jedi Academy, or KOTOR models ported to other Star Wars games.

i cant beleive that one person that i talked to actually didnt think it was possible to add new units and animations into the game when ive already seen it done and have been playing with it myself.

Oh it's possible. It's probably that some have heard the "it's not legally allowed" and misunderstood it to mean "it's not possible." Making mods for the Xbox version would be much more difficult of course (I doubt it will happen, period). Hex editing the stats and making NPC's playable was something done early on with SWBF1 and I can see happening with SWBF2. It's the actual release of new usable models that will take some doing, which requires proper tools as well as official allowance of modding (after all, what good are mods if no sites will put them up for download for fear of legal threat from LucasArts?).

I agree, there's little reason for us to be jealous of Xbox users. It's really the principle of the thing. I'd be much happier to get a decent patch (or more) and modding tools, and linux dedicated server (the last item they have NOT promised and perhaps may never happen, but I think the game sorely needs it).
 Arcane_Penguin
02-01-2006, 12:41 AM
Now been 3 months, still no patch, ;(
 zerted
02-01-2006, 2:33 AM
New patch info: http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=99431&tstart=0)

"Just wanted to give everyone an update since we are at the end of the month and yes, we do not yet have the patch to release. As the team has been making changes to the Mod Tools, we've had to sync up the game code to better support what the Mod Tools create. As a result, we've had to hold-off on the PC patch until we are fairly confident no other Mod Tool changes will affect the core game. We apologize for the delay but want to insure that when the Mod Tools are released, it works completely with the current version of the game. Our best estimate for release is likely the middle of next week.

Thanks again for your continual support of Star Wars Battlefront II

The Star Wars Battlefront II team "
 Kurgan
02-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Well, better late than never! News updated, here's hoping they get it right...
 PoiuyWired
02-01-2006, 5:26 PM
Better late than a rushed job!!!
 ParanoidAndroid
02-01-2006, 6:36 PM
Thats how I feel about it. I don't care if it's a bit late so long as it's worth the wait!
 MachineCult
02-01-2006, 6:49 PM
I agree. It will be available for the PC right?
 THX1138_Scorpio
02-02-2006, 7:25 PM
Yes, thats the update they're actually talking about... the PC one.
 Brainpr0n
02-08-2006, 3:39 PM
Waiting with baited breath...
 Kurgan
02-08-2006, 9:28 PM
Technically speaking their "deadline" is up in a couple of hours. Nothing today, perhaps Friday... (LA likes to update on Fridays, according to tradition!)
 mima kake
02-09-2006, 7:47 AM
or maybe next week.
Or the week after that.
Or maybe next month.

just wait and see...
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-09-2006, 1:59 PM
or next year.....XP

Yes. You must be patient.
 biny
02-09-2006, 3:28 PM
I can't believe I started this thread!!!!

:stormmask::stormmask::stormmask::stormmask:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
 Commander Obi-Wan
02-09-2006, 5:41 PM
I can't believe I started this thread!!!!

:stormmask::stormmask::stormmask::stormmask:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Click. (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=154039) ;)
Enjoy!
 biny
02-10-2006, 12:59 PM
:)
 MachineCult
02-10-2006, 7:02 PM
Click. (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=154039) ;)
Enjoy!
I remember when you started that thread, well done. lol.
 minilogoguy18
02-11-2006, 12:32 AM
no ones just posted any new unit models, models are supposed to be the same though according 2 of the developers, so no re-exporting needed. is there any certain model anyone would like to see in SWBF2, i have the unit skeleton and the ability to put one in game just havnt thought of anything good. neomarz made a great asajj ventress model and ive worked with him before, im pretty sure if i asked him hed let me put it in SWBF2. so you guys want an asajj for PC?
 Kurgan
02-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Sure. If they don't release that stuff for PC I'm sure people want it. If I could change anything at the moment, I'd just convert ALL the SWBF1 maps, including the "better" version of Geonosis. I'd get rid of the stupid "saber chucks" that Asajj has and just give her two sabers like she had in the Clone Wars series.

Honestly, shirtless Kit Fisto is kind of silly anyway. Just give him the sort of outfit he'd have worn in Episode II or III and be done with it. I realize they were going with the CW version of him, but seriously, there's no underwater Mon Calamari map, so what's the point?
 minilogoguy18
02-11-2006, 1:22 PM
yeah i was just gonna rig asajj and merge her with the existing dual saber animations just for the time cause shes far more known as a dual saber user even though she can link them into a staff. yeah and i also agree about kit just being in normal jedi robes and ill try to think of some unique things for him. i dont know if i could give them unique fighting styles since it would require new animations which no one has seemed to be able to do since the aniguide isnt that clear on how to do it. i might be able to do it though now that i think about it since im using the pandemic made skeleton so there shouldnt be any problems animating it. most people tried custom anims on vehicles which used a unique skelly and we might just not be setting up the bones right. i never watched the CW cartoons so i dont know much about how asajj and kit really fight but ill look into it. im also still waiting for a reply from marz about using his models since im not the best character modeler and his models are already really good.
 PoiuyWired
02-11-2006, 4:36 PM
Well, PC is getting update I thik, and...

You can watch the movies of the upcoming xXxbox update video, for what Ventress and Fisto's move maybe like... and that map on cloud city...

If anything I would like something more exotic... like a whip user... Lady Lumiya... Dark Lady of Sith... yum.

I think Kit Fisto got shirtless for the ladies... you know, he had many twi'lek fangirls.
 Kurgan
02-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Fisto's "Bubble attack" is pure CW. It's supposed to be him using the Force while under water or something when he's fighting on Mon Calimari. So not sure if it's a force manifestation like the blue ball that Vader throws at Luke in "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" or the red fireball "Destruction" like in JK1/MotS, or just water or something... anyway, you could just give him Force push like he has in the movie (AOTC). Ventress never uses "saber chucks" or a staff in CW, she's just a straight up dual saber user (with curved hilts similar to Dooku's, since he gave them to her as a gift).

Well, PC is getting update I thik, and...

We're getting a PATCH, not bonus content (that we know of) and later mod tools. Though we were supposed to get it 2 days ago, and still no word (unless they just updated in the last 4 hours...).

You can watch the movies of the upcoming xXxbox update video, for what Ventress and Fisto's move maybe like... and that map on cloud city...

If anything I would like something more exotic... like a whip user... Lady Lumiya... Dark Lady of Sith... yum.

I think Kit Fisto got shirtless for the ladies... you know, he had many twi'lek fangirls.

No Kit is a celibate Jedi. He castrated himself with his saber (which explains the high pitched voice)! This was also doubly painful because his species has, shall we say "more than one." Heh.. fanboys/girls... always wanting what they can't have! ;)
 Smokey McDope
02-12-2006, 12:15 AM
battlefield 2
galactic conquest mod will
deliver it all

wow a haiku!
 Kurgan
02-12-2006, 2:26 AM
Well, maybe next week...
 KTR
02-13-2006, 2:42 PM
battlefield 2
galactic conquest mod will
deliver it all

wow a haiku!

GC for BF2 is not gonna come...

http://sf.prolificgames.com/) <---this is what is gonna come from the peeps that made GC.
 minilogoguy18
02-13-2006, 3:19 PM
this is battlefront 2 forums not battlefield >_>
 MachineCult
02-13-2006, 3:38 PM
Everyone stop talking about Battlefield right now.
 PoiuyWired
02-14-2006, 2:13 PM
BF2 = StarWars BattleFRONT 2...

And oh, you have things unrealistic lasers in this game, heros that uses little glowsticks, and snipers who do not crawl on the floor.

You also don't need to online level for like forever to get ranks for a good gun.

Oh that aside, lets keep this thread on-topic.

Is it true that the new Jedi thingy is not available to PC?
 zerted
02-14-2006, 3:56 PM
What do you mean by "Jedi thingy"? As far as anyone knows the PC users are only getting a patch to fix bugs, not an expansion to add new features.
 Kurgan
02-14-2006, 6:42 PM
The Xbox Expansion isn't adding any new features. It's merely adding two Jedi characters. One of them throws little ninja stars and one of them throws little exploding balls. One has "saber chucks" which just seem to operate like Dual sabers just with slightly different animation. Then there's a couple "new" maps (taken from SWBF1) and a few more maps are given Celebrity Deathmatch support. Even the "new powers" of the Jedi could be compared to a shotgun and a grenade launcher, just with a different visual effect coming from a hand instead of a gun.

So really it's nothing that modders couldn't create... convert some maps, create a couple models and skins and maybe one new set of attack animations. Done!
 zerted
02-15-2006, 1:50 PM
"When is the bonus stuff becoming available for the PC??" Answer: tomorrow

link: http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=102604&tstart=0)

xtmn8r
Total Posts: 74

EDITED BY ◄Catch 22►: Feb 15, 2006 10:02 AM

Hello everyone,

It took us a few more days then we thought but we are just about ready to release the PC update. As a few have already noticed, we have released the updated Dedicated Server Software that will support version 1.1. This dedicated server also has all of its features working now. You can find the Server Software on fileplanet here. Note that this server can only host games for people with the PC update version 1.1

The game update will go live within the next day. I will post updated information as we work out the logistics to get it Live

We are finishing up the testing of the Mod Tools. It will likely be made available within the week. We are working hard to have it ready by this Friday before the long weekend.

Thanks for your continued support.

The Star Wars Battlefront II Team

Edit: As ever guys, please continue to discuss the upcoming update here.
 KTR
02-15-2006, 4:42 PM
Looking at the pc server files, no new maps to be seen :(.
 Kurgan
02-16-2006, 2:09 PM
"When is the bonus stuff becoming available for the PC??" Answer: tomorrow

link: http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=102604&tstart=0)

xtmn8r
Total Posts: 74

EDITED BY ◄Catch 22►: Feb 15, 2006 10:02 AM

Hello everyone,

It took us a few more days then we thought but we are just about ready to release the PC update. As a few have already noticed, we have released the updated Dedicated Server Software that will support version 1.1. This dedicated server also has all of its features working now. You can find the Server Software on fileplanet here. Note that this server can only host games for people with the PC update version 1.1

The game update will go live within the next day. I will post updated information as we work out the logistics to get it Live

We are finishing up the testing of the Mod Tools. It will likely be made available within the week. We are working hard to have it ready by this Friday before the long weekend.

Thanks for your continued support.

The Star Wars Battlefront II Team

Edit: As ever guys, please continue to discuss the upcoming update here.

Wrong. Sorry, but several people misrepresented what happened. For once this IS a case of people reading into the statement things they never said.

The XBOX owners got the "bonus material" that is.. the "expansion" with Kit Fisto/Asajj Ventress, four SWBF1 maps and a few more Hero DM options.

The PC owners were NEVER scheduled to get that. Only a bug fix/stability patch. Many people WANTED the Xbox expansion for PC and begged for it, but they have no right to say it was promised them. I agree it sucks that the Xbox users get free addons that the PC owners do not. Even though it's barely anything and even though they don't get mod tools (and we will, as promised) and be able to make more and better mods in the long run than the Xbox will ever get... it still helps for a mod to be "official" because more people will use it online.

Plus they had to BUY their expansion for $5 or get it off Xbox Live! (which you have to subscribe to, more $$$).

Anyway, we got our patch and server patch, mod tools on the way. They haven't said jack about anything else for PC. So it's all guesswork.

To sum up: There are no new maps, mods, skins, or gameplay modes in the PC patch, and there won't be any until the mod tools allow people to start making them!
 PoiuyWired
02-16-2006, 2:13 PM
Hmmm... so someone should do some "conversion work" once the mod dools are up.
 Kurgan
02-16-2006, 2:49 PM
I'm sure that's what's being contemplated.

I'm hoping that people will get organized though and release it all together so we don't have a thousand slightly different, non-compatible "SWBF1 to SWBF2 conversion map packs" out there. I'm sure PCGame Mods will remove any links people post to such conversions, so other sites will need to be relied on to distribute them.

Or will Pandemic/LucasArts genuinely get upset if people can play all the SWBF1 maps without buying SWBF2? Granted, they have reason to complain if they never plan to release any conversion packs of their own for the PC (but only for the Xbox), but still... would make it kind of hard to distribute if it's not "allowed."

On the other hand just handing out a program that would extract and automatically convert the needed maps from your original SWBF1 installation would be a good way around it, legally. Just distribute that program for those who don't know how to do it otherwise...
 Stryker412
02-16-2006, 2:59 PM
I wonder how adding custom maps will work. I took the Rhen Var map from the server patch and copied it over to my own SWBF2 installation. However, there's no way on BBO to add in a map, and it does not show up in the map list either. I didn't have time last night to read the readme, is it explained.
 PoiuyWired
02-17-2006, 2:37 PM
Well, if its a "conversion program" and not a map pack, LA have to be a scum-eating idiot to hate it.

Cause if you want to to the conversion, you will need to buy BF1 in the first place!! This means either :

1) the guy using the conversion program have BF1, which is good.
2) the guy buys BF1 just to play those maps on BF2, which is even better!@!!
Page: 2 of 3