Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Who have more of a tactical advantage in space Imps or rebels

Page: 1 of 1
 Jason91
12-20-2005, 6:35 AM
Who have more of a tactical advantage in space Imps or rebels because the imps have the sd's but have to depoly tie fighters from either sd's or space stations. Yet the rebels may not have the do not have the sd's but have the mon cal crusiers and have the x-wings jump into space all ready 2 fight. But unfortuately lack the tactical forces to wage pure war on the ground :(
 killerluk
12-20-2005, 6:55 AM
well i think imp mainly cause they have the power to stop rebels from retreating to hyperspace ..

that will be a part of my tactics dont allow em to retreat :p
 FleetAdmiral AK
12-20-2005, 6:59 AM
the Imps are a trained army therefore should know tactics slightly better and killerluk u try using the interdictors(sp?) against me and I will blast them out of the sky.

MON CALAMARIS own they have 3 shield generators unlike the imps!!!!!
 killerluk
12-20-2005, 7:06 AM
the Imps are a trained army therefore should know tactics slightly better and killerluk u try using the interdictors(sp?) against me and I will blast them out of the sky.

you are no match for the power of the empire :p shields will only help you so long mhwoaooa

and yes i mean using the interdictors as a main tactic
 FleetAdmiral AK
12-20-2005, 7:30 AM
'Remember Luk the force will be with you, always' I would like to see the interdictor beat a mon calamari! its like 2 times smaller It will be crushed. that or red squadron will own you!

yeah but if we have a 1on1 (SDvsMC) while my first generator is destroyed yours is gone and I can begin damaging you muhahahahhahahahhahahhahhahahhahahahahhahahahahaha hhahahahahaaa!
 Givike
12-20-2005, 7:35 AM
They both have different tactics, uncomparable.

Rebs: guerilla warfare, hit and run and that's it.
Imps: they just occupy everything they can and hope to run into them that way.

These tactics are used everywhere and it's obvious none of em work. See now with the USA in Irak. Is it going anywhere? No. How long has it been? Very long, especially for a country like Irak
 killerluk
12-20-2005, 7:58 AM
that why i will use a interdictor in each fleet just to stop them rebs from running lol

conquer all , let em attack kill em all, in the end = only one left and thats me :d
 FleetAdmiral AK
12-20-2005, 8:07 AM
did you even read my post? I mean if I see that my fleet will be overrun I destroy the interdictor and get the **** out of there.
 killerluk
12-20-2005, 8:14 AM
fleetadmiral ak as soon as there's a demo you and me will test it :p
 FleetAdmiral AK
12-20-2005, 9:13 AM
fine but I suck at rts games brilliant tactician though.
 Mag Trinix
12-20-2005, 9:16 AM
Well truly it depends on the player but if it was just a comp vs comp then id have too say the rebs cause there crusiers mon calamari just because of there shields and they have a diffrent design,but in the end its the skills of the player
 Teradyn
12-20-2005, 11:56 AM
They both have different tactics, uncomparable.

Rebs: guerilla warfare, hit and run and that's it.
Imps: they just occupy everything they can and hope to run into them that way.

These tactics are used everywhere and it's obvious none of em work. See now with the USA in Irak. Is it going anywhere? No. How long has it been? Very long, especially for a country like Irak

Not comparable since the Empire isn't hamstrung by having to worry about civilian casualties.
 Darth_Extas
12-20-2005, 4:14 PM
I'm With Mag on this it does really depend on the player and how he/she can use the spacecraft/units to their advange as well as planning ahead.
 Imgnryflgdotcom
12-26-2005, 12:47 AM
The imps. Because they can stop the rebs from retreating, and even though the rebs have better starfighters, the imps have way more.
 Scarlet
01-20-2006, 5:59 PM
Space battles *should* be reasonably even ... I mean, the Demo highlights the effectiveness of bombers when used properly to disable systems - and as the Rebels hold the better bombers (and starfighters in general) that should counterballance the Imperials capital ship superiority and make things fairer ...
 popcorn2008
01-20-2006, 8:33 PM
Well... both teams have their own unique advantages, but as some of you have pointed out it isnt the team that is better, it is the player. If you know how to use your fleet wisely and know all the special abilities and you exploit them than you can easily beat a fleet that is twice your size.

For example, in the demo I sent the millenium falcon to the Vegresso Asteroids alone. I managed to destroy everything with one single unit. Technically speaking the imps should have won, but since I knew the advantages of the millenium falcon and knew its ability and I was smart enough to take advantage of the map itself (such as nebula fields) I managed to win.
 Mr.Guybrush II
01-20-2006, 8:58 PM
Ultimatly it depends on your strategy rather than the units you have, or don't have ;)

I've gotten the hang of using the Rebels now, can destroy pretty much anything the demo throws at me with no losses. Using Chris' mod allows you to feel a little more about the game and how it will play. It's interesting, i think Imperials have strength of numbers, but i don't think they have many special abilities. While rebels each unit has a special ability. I'm going to enjoy flanking the rebel scum with my tie fighters and bombers and luring the rebels into a classic trap. I think the first thing you have to do as Imperials is be aggressive. You can't allow the rebels time and space. You need to box them in.

Or, you can use a unit as a tempter, bring their forces out, and flank them from behind with bombers to take out their prized ships. Bombers are surprisingly effective, espically against the larger ships.

Timing with this game is everything, and for Rebels it's knowing when to strike, the ships do move gently, they don't ever 'anchor'. So if a player ignores a unit for too long it will stray into open space and become a juicy target. I find this order to be the most effective: Shield Gen, Engines, Hanger, Weaponary. The more ships you disable, the more chance you have of winning. You could even let the ships live but keep them disabled. Giving the opposite player a fake lifeline.

Theres so much potential when it comes to the space battles. Can't wait to destroy you all with my cunning :D
 Master Nikolaos
01-23-2006, 11:55 AM
I'd say both have attributes which work for them (rebels, Imps). However, after playing a lot with both, I find that a large fleet of Star Destroyers and some victory class ships will take anything out due to the fact they come with somany fighter and bombers.
 Mr.Guybrush II
01-23-2006, 2:00 PM
I disagree with the above. I've played the demo an awful lot now, and have messed about with all kinds of tactics. As long as the rebels know what the enemy have, and build the appropriate units, they will win easily.

The smaller Imperials ships are awful to fighter squadrons. I've been able to take out 12 of them with eight squads of xwings and 8 squads of awings, with minimual loss. It gets tricky when the Imperials have a fair few of those small anti fighter ships. Those are a real pain in the ass, they take down fighters so easily.

I find ignoring the fighters and bombers and concentrating on the larger ships the best tactic. I tend to build a fair few corvettes to help protect the larger vessels. Use the long range missile ships. If you have 3-5 of those they take down Star Destroyers in no time. The larger ships should be a screen and take on the large Star Destroyers, using the missile ships to produce a barrage effect. The fighters should go in and take down the smaller ships, ignoring the fighters. While corvettes protect the larger ships from bombers.

First goal as Rebels is to take down the anti fighter ships though. If you don't you'll lose big time. Y wings aren't really needed, i find their armour to be pretty weak. But if you do use them, they need to go in fire and then fall back straight away.
 Hartmrolf
01-23-2006, 2:24 PM
Well, the Empire basically pumps out fighters and bombers in space for free, Which i think is an Advantage, basically with tartans, stardestroyers and maybe some broadside ships, you've got a complete, working fleet, the Rebels need to get their fighters and bombers extra.
 Rok_stoned
01-26-2006, 11:24 PM
Has any ever seen the Just Shoot Me episode(yeah I know no one has cause you all hate it) where they had Mark Hamill Luke Skywalker guestar? he was following one of the characters from the show around harrassing him an in one scene when he was replying to a phone call and mark said at the end Copy that Red two... yeah that sounds pretty lame lame now but t'was funny as heck when I saw it.

Anyhow onto my point

yeah but in some cases they only delay the enivitable
 Apocalypse|TFL
01-27-2006, 7:53 AM
Imps. only just though.

The fact they deploy fighters and bombers effectively, free of cost and unit cap, is a major plus. If you have anti-fighter ships in your attacking fleet then your on a winner. Use the anti-fighter frigs and heroes such as boba fett (who seriously owns the hell out of fighters) to kill their fighter screen, batter their anti-fighter capabilities and your bombers can reap wonderful chaos over the remaining ships.
 Thondorr
01-28-2006, 1:50 AM
I think Imperials have the edge for now, Their Patrol ships power up ability can destroy many ships. Ive had a group of 5(= to 2 victory class SD) patrol ships destroy a Mon Calamari ship and Lost 3 of the Patrol ship. The SD's were obliterated, Then again, the Y wings are really strong against the SDs, So it goes on the arsenal you have when you enter space.
 Sashala
04-04-2006, 10:20 AM
cough cough cough, do you know that ISD's have more firepower than the MonCals? Check it in the hardpoints XML file, so even with more shield generators, the ISD still launches bombers and fighters. MonCal get owned
 ScorLibran
04-07-2006, 1:26 PM
Corellian Gunship wolfpack > anything else

I wish I could remember who in these forums recommended this strategy to me, or remember which thread it was posted in. Maybe they'll come by and claim this strategy, because it's certainly theirs and not mine originally.

With ten gunships and nominal reinforcements (ten or less) I've been able to beat any Imperial fleet on hard difficulty. And my kill ratio is extraordinarily high.

I use concentration-of-fire on the biggest enemy units (i.e., ISDs), then attack-move through everything that remains, then kill the space station last (if I'm the attacker). I might snipe the hangar if it's a lvl-4 or 5 station that's generating Acclamators. Otherwise I ignore it until everything else is dead.
 gswift
04-07-2006, 5:53 PM
Corellian Gunship wolfpack > anything else

I wish I could remember who in these forums recommended this strategy to me, or remember which thread it was posted in. Maybe they'll come by and claim this strategy, because it's certainly theirs and not mine originally.

It could have been my post in the "Favourite land and space unit" thread. I chose the gunships for my favorite rebel space unit and used the term "wolf pack". Sounds like you're using them in conquest games, but they work just as well in multiplayer space battles. At the second tech level, the Empire just doesn't have any counter, and the third isn't much better. Even Boba fette isn't much good against them. Also, the corellian gunships can move straight through asteroids while the cap ships must go around.

Combine the power of the corellian gunships with the locked s-foils of xwings and I feel the Rebels have a clear advantage. That will probably change with the next patch though.

There's one particular player that I've played a few times, and every game has been won by the Rebel side. We just can't seem to break our tie. Too bad we can't both choose the same side...
 ScorLibran
04-08-2006, 11:43 AM
It could have been my post in the "Favourite land and space unit" thread.
Ah yes! It was you. Thanks for introducing me to a very fun tactic. :)

Tearing down ISDs with those little gunships is uniquely satisfying. Also, watching ships die with some shields left - i.e., hulls getting pummelled faster than the shields going down - is odd and fun as well.
 gswift
04-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Tearing down ISDs with those little gunships is uniquely satisfying. Also, watching ships die with some shields left - i.e., hulls getting pummelled faster than the shields going down - is odd and fun as well.

Yeah that's fun. Also, it's nice to drop a bunch of gunships in one location, kill everything there, then use the speed boost to jet over to another part of the map and kill everything there too! It's like having two different fleets and really makes life hard for the emps. Any unit that acts as a force multiplier is powerful indeed.
 shadowsi
07-03-2006, 12:04 PM
In my opinion its 50% 50%...
The only diffrence is that imp can launch fighters and bombers.... So try to destroy their hangars first....

But rebel Mon Calamari dont have shields and their X and A-wings are more powerfull against those stupid ties... And rebels have the ion cannon, which is the ultimate weapon of them all.... Even better than a death star ... :)
 ImpElite
07-27-2006, 5:39 PM
Well with this new patch (1.05) the Rebels seem to have the advantage. And you all can easily find out by playing skirmish battles.
Page: 1 of 1