Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

----

Page: 1 of 3
 Naja
10-06-2005, 3:58 AM
One of the team leaders of the Star Wars: Legacy of War mod had emailed Petroglyph in March concerning SSDs, and he got back a "yes" answer. He didn't specify whether it will be a hero unit or a regular produceable unit.
 FroZticles
10-06-2005, 5:08 AM
There you go you babies got your bottle. :)
 Slave.
10-06-2005, 6:23 AM
Hopefully we'll get to see it in the next video release
 Juggernaut1985
10-06-2005, 8:12 AM
You make such a big deal over nothing. The SSD is just a ship.
 Darth Alec
10-06-2005, 8:32 AM

Just a ship? JUST A SHIP !!!! the Super Star Destroyer is one of the most central thing in an Imperialists life. Only three things come before:
1. The Emperor
2. He's Ship
3. Lord Vader

Do not say "just a ship" Its bigger, badder and a lot more powerful than anything any one else can field. :firemad:

Now that I got that of my chest, I'm glad they finally includded it.
Hipp hipp hurray!!
 starmark2k
10-06-2005, 8:40 AM
This sounds cool but before i get excited i'll wait untill i actually see an image or movie with it.
 Juggernaut1985
10-06-2005, 9:32 AM
oh btw, the leader of Legacy of War that Naja mentioned is me. And I was excited as anyone to learn of the SSD but i know that it is not the doomgiver of the galaxy(thats for my Galaxy Gun to decide).
 swphreak
10-06-2005, 10:52 AM
And I wonder how expensive it is. I'm sure it will bankrupt many planets just building it.

Oh, don't forget about those A-Wings!
 Darth Alec
10-06-2005, 1:46 PM
Oh, don't forget about those A-Wings!

Most embarresing moment in SSD historie. :fist:
 popcorn2008
10-06-2005, 3:01 PM
I'm glad to see that the SSD will be in the game, because Star Wars just isnt the same without it. Now lets just hope theirs TIE Interceptors... (or Defenders for that matter lol)
 nightmarenny
10-06-2005, 4:54 PM
Just a ship? JUST A SHIP! We are talking about the Executer-class star dreadnaught here! To call it just a ship is like calling Palpentine JUST a deceptive *******.
 Juggernaut1985
10-06-2005, 5:13 PM
I'm excited too but it doesn't mean you need to flame me for it.
 popcorn2008
10-06-2005, 6:24 PM
To call it just a ship is like calling Palpentine JUST a deceptive *******.
Wow strong words there! We are all excited but calm down and take a deep breathe. The SSD Suprise syndrome will wear off momentarily.
 Darth Andrew
10-06-2005, 10:51 PM
MY LIFE IS COMPLETE NOW!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!1 :p
This sounds cool but before i get excited i'll wait untill i actually see an image or movie with it.Same here. Hopefully is isn't the size of two Star Destroyers. :rolleyes:
 Jan Gaarni
10-07-2005, 2:36 AM
Hahaha, that would be worse than if it was as large as 5. :D :D :D

(11, Petroglyph. 11 ;) )
 Jan Gaarni
10-07-2005, 8:11 AM
Just a small note on the SSD.

StarWars.Com (http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/superstardestroyer/index.html) has yet again updated the Executors lenght. This time to a more realistical 19km (abit too long in my opinion now though :p , but much closer than before).

Thanks to a certain member (Makwu) over at the Petroglyph Un-Official forums (http://swempireatwar.10.forumer.com/index.php) for making me aware of this. :)

The weapons compliment has also been boosted abit, but is still far from being realistic yet though.
 swphreak
10-07-2005, 9:49 AM
pffft here we go again... :p

Eclipse - 18 Km
SSD - 13 Km
SD - 1600m

Those are the numbers I accept. They've changed the numbers so much I don't care what anyone says anymore.
 Jan Gaarni
10-07-2005, 12:19 PM
You can't have an ISD measuring 1.6 if you accept the SSD to be only 13km :)

If you accept the SSD to be 13km long, then you also must accept that the ISD is 1.2km long then, as the SSD is 11 times longer (almost 12 in StarWars.com's case)
 swphreak
10-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Those are the numbers I accept. They've changed the numbers so much I don't care what anyone says anymore.

;)

It's at least 8 or so times larger. So it's all the same.
 Jan Gaarni
10-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Suit yourself. ;)

But even StarWars.com admits now that it's around 11 times as large.
Which has been said by fans all over the world for years, and backed up with evidence and measurements.
 Juggernaut1985
10-07-2005, 1:46 PM
Essential Guide is all I prescribe to.
 Jan Gaarni
10-07-2005, 1:52 PM
Oh, they're the worst of the lot. :D
 popcorn2008
10-07-2005, 4:21 PM
I agree with starwars.com because it is the official website of star wars. It has first say on everything in my book.
 Jan Gaarni
10-07-2005, 5:37 PM
Well, up until recently they've been wrong about the SSD lenght though, so don't swallow everything that is on there whole. ;)
 nightmarenny
10-08-2005, 12:40 AM
Essential Guide is all I prescribe to.
The same essential guide that doesn't even mention the Impirial's 8 massivle turrets?
 Darth Alec
10-08-2005, 1:40 AM
Prob.
Yet being around 13 is what seems right for me, just a guess though.
And is the ultimat weapon exept the Death Star, but the Death Star is a Death Star. So its not like you are going to want to fight it, just dont underestimate it.
 general ackbar
10-08-2005, 5:24 PM
can we see this email
 Darth Windu
10-09-2005, 4:58 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most of the books (eg. X-wing series) say it's 8km long?
 Jan Gaarni
10-09-2005, 7:28 AM
Yeah, so?

It's 11-12 miles long, roughly 17.6 to 19 km long, and that's a fact. ;)

Just because it's mentioned over and over again (though some sources has been stating the propper lenght in the past aswell, not just the 8km fallacy introduced by WEG), doesn't make it correct.

It's like with the "shield" domes. Just because it's mentioned over and over again (though, again, not all sources has done the same misstake in the past) doesn't make it right. ;)
 general ackbar
10-09-2005, 2:29 PM
i want teh proof!
 popcorn2008
10-09-2005, 3:27 PM
i want teh proof!
Yeah me too... Im still a little ify on this one.
 Makwu
10-10-2005, 5:46 PM
Here is the proof:

1) The SSD is a fan favorite
2) Petro designers have stated "Super weapons" plural.
3) C&C was a big fan of super weapons, same designers
4) That have stated that they will even include some EU content. I'm sure they would get all ROTJ content in first
5) The size demonstrations of the space stations shows the a SSD wouldn't be too much for the engine to handle

There is your proof

EDIT: Wow, I haven't used this account since 02 : ) How embarrasing. Krath Imperium, nice...
 popcorn2008
10-10-2005, 8:38 PM
Ok It is now official that the SSD is not in the game. An official petro designer posted on the unofficial petro forums, and here's a link:

http://swempireatwar.10.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=845&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

Look near the bottom of the page. He also gives out some other really juicy info. Such that the game only goes up to battle of yavin.

Though he does say it is a possibility for future expansions.
 Jan Gaarni
10-11-2005, 3:15 AM
Hmm, we're restricted to 3 years gameplay?

That is odd.

Or do they mean we only get 3 years worth of research to play around with?

I guess, since no SSD, there won't be a ISD mkII either then.
 Makwu
10-11-2005, 3:25 AM
A shame
 Garbageben
10-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Ok It is now official that the SSD is not in the game. An official petro designer posted on the unofficial petro forums, and here's a link:

http://swempireatwar.10.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=845&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

Look near the bottom of the page. He also gives out some other really juicy info. Such that the game only goes up to battle of yavin.

Though he does say it is a possibility for future expansions.
Of course that makes sense. They can get $30 more dollars per person to buy an expansion with all the units that we wanted in the original. I mean how can you do an expansion on to an open ended game like EaW is supposed to be. I think the expansions will just be adding units and or new sides perhaps.
 DarthMaulUK
10-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Personally, I dont mind the idea of expansion packs. Yes they cost extra money but it costs alot of money to make them.

I like the idea of Empire At War sprouting more expansions - maybe an Empire Strikes Back esq one followed by Return Of The Jedi (for example). From what I have seen from the Galactic Map, there's plenty of room to expand it and include more planets.

The new Dawn Of War, Winter Assault expansion gave us new maps, new campaigns and just 1 new faction. Which is good and works well. The only thing I didnt like was the Ј25(approx $45) price tag!

EaW has the scope I believe to really give us a long lasting RTS experience.

DMUK
 cardif
10-11-2005, 12:38 PM
well.. for me 40$ definately make a difference. content, which must be in the original game, cant be sold in an expansion... that just doesnt make sense in my honest opinion ;(

considering the new info, the solid wall, which forces me to buy the game, gets full of holes :'(

.. and no, its not because of that SSD. :D
 Garbageben
10-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Personally, I dont mind the idea of expansion packs. Yes they cost extra money but it costs alot of money to make them.

I like the idea of Empire At War sprouting more expansions - maybe an Empire Strikes Back esq one followed by Return Of The Jedi (for example). From what I have seen from the Galactic Map, there's plenty of room to expand it and include more planets.

The new Dawn Of War, Winter Assault expansion gave us new maps, new campaigns and just 1 new faction. Which is good and works well. The only thing I didnt like was the Ј25(approx $45) price tag!

EaW has the scope I believe to really give us a long lasting RTS experience.

DMUK

I agree with you now that I have thought it over. they release a few expansions (ESB,ROTJ,post ROTJ) and each one has new units but also new planets. That way you would have a larger galaxy, new units, and possibly a new faction.
 Jan Gaarni
10-11-2005, 1:44 PM
Well, there is the fact that the game has an end date, which is the beginning of ANH.

That turns me off some. I don't like restrictive RTS', especially the kind of restrictions I just mentioned. An RTS should go on till one side is the victor. :)
 Makwu
10-11-2005, 3:41 PM
Yes, the talk now on Petro Fan Forums is that the expansion pack will be from ANH to ROTJ. And then we will get units like the A-wing, interdictor, Home One...oh im so confused.
 Foshjedi2004
10-11-2005, 5:12 PM
The Tech tree ends at Yavin in terms of only the first versions of the Death Star and Impstar and Victory. It also means that the B-wing, Interceptors and other later craft will not be in there. The Legacy of War Mod plan to put these things in.
The Gameplay does end when you win not when the Tech tree ends.
 Jan Gaarni
10-11-2005, 5:32 PM
That's not what Delphi stated:
The game ends at the battle of Yavin
Battle of Yavin takes place, as we all know (or should know) in ANH.
 popcorn2008
10-11-2005, 11:04 PM
The fact that it ends at ANH is also a slight down to me. I was hoping it would at least cover the whole original trilogy. Oh well.... I mean hopefully it will be loaded with tons of content.
 nightmarenny
10-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Well, there is the fact that the game has an end date, which is the beginning of ANH.

That turns me off some. I don't like restrictive RTS', especially the kind of restrictions I just mentioned. An RTS should go on till one side is the victor. :)
Well the single player will end on ANH but in multiplayer you will still fight to the death. :twogun:
 Jan Gaarni
10-12-2005, 2:40 AM
That is true. :)
 FroZticles
10-12-2005, 6:44 PM
Or in some cases... Zomg!!! You rushed me!!! Then go put up a room saying No rushes!!!
 lukeiamyourdad
10-13-2005, 5:27 PM
well.. for me 40$ definately make a difference. content, which must be in the original game, cant be sold in an expansion... that just doesnt make sense in my honest opinion ;(

considering the new info, the solid wall, which forces me to buy the game, gets full of holes :'(

.. and no, its not because of that SSD. :D

I fully agree. This game seems to be lacking content now. And I'm being nice.
It's starting to turn me off...

I didn't wait years for this to fork out over 100$ in the game and its expansion to get a complete Star Wars RTS experience...
 Perfect Soldier
10-13-2005, 7:17 PM
Ok if I were some of you I would not lose hope. Many units that did not appear in ANH are in the game. Such as AT-AT's and Air speeders. I have also done a bit of research and found that TIE Interceptors were used in the Battle of Yavin. Link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIE_interceptor) If you do not wish to read through all this here is the paragraph I found that stated it was used.

Although the Interceptor only made its appearence in Return of the Jedi, the Star Wars Sourcebook (for the Star Wars Roleplaying Game) has stated that the Interceptor has existed at the time of the Battle of Yavin, where Imperial Star Destroyer's 6 TIE squadrons was a squadron of Interceptors (4 squadrons of standard TIE Fighters, 1 squadron of TIE bombers). By the Battle of Endor, an additional squadron of Interceptors replaced that of a TIE Fighter. The Interceptor's absence from A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back was perhaps due to design limitations.
 dorkthehunter
10-13-2005, 7:18 PM
A-Wings are in! We have seen it in the screen shots and movies!
The game does not end at ANH. The tech tree ends there(to a point)
There is no ANH! You make your own story! Why don't you people get that!

-Dorkthehunter
"Protecting the world from people with an IQ if over 30! Hazah!
Page: 1 of 3