Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

----

Page: 2 of 3
 popcorn2008
10-13-2005, 8:53 PM
The game does not end at ANH. The tech tree ends there(to a point)
There is no ANH! You make your own story! Why don't you people get that!

Okay, first off yes the game does end at ANH, even if you do make your own story. If the tech tree ends there then so does the game in a sense. NO ONE said that it meant that the whole game ends at ANH, we arent complaining about that. WE are complaining that the game is lacking in content. Get your rants right.

I also agree, I am starting to get turned off as well. The SSD and TIE Interceptor were major expectations from me. As of now the content seems WAY lacking. Petro and LA better release more details about the game, such as missions or something. Or they better release some new content fast because im starting to lose my intereast.
I have also done a bit of research and found that TIE Interceptors were used in the Battle of Yavin. Link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIE_interceptor) If you do not wish to read through all this here is the paragraph I found that stated it was used.

Not many people consider Wikipedia the best source. It is an open editing encyclopedia. Also its sources are not the best. Not many people consider the Star Wars RPG accurate or the source books. I mean just look what the source book said about the SSD.
 lukeiamyourdad
10-13-2005, 10:21 PM
Now this is almost too odd. Why was it done this way? I simply don't know why...
 nightmarenny
10-13-2005, 10:54 PM
I think this a good thing. It will make iteisier to include a mix of OT and Prequel mech in the game. I'm still hoping for an Impirial Gunship and Venator SD and if I must wait for an expantion to throw the fear of god into rebel players with the Executor then so be it.
 lukeiamyourdad
10-13-2005, 11:16 PM
We'll have to wait and see, but forcing us to fork out more money isn't good (for us). Unless mommy and daddy pay you everything...
 Jan Gaarni
10-14-2005, 2:24 AM
A-Wings are in! We have seen it in the screen shots and movies!
The game does not end at ANH. The tech tree ends there(to a point)
There is no ANH! You make your own story! Why don't you people get that!

-Dorkthehunter
"Protecting the world from people with an IQ if over 30! Hazah!
Because Delphi, a Petroglyph employee, said so.

Here, let me quote that again:
The game ends at the battle of Yavin

Now, could he have misstyped something?

Possibly.

But they have been very silent about it since we heard it will end at ANH. They haven't exactly gone out of their ways to correct the statement so far.
I'm planing on raising the question at the chat in a couple of weeks.
 Garbageben
10-14-2005, 12:27 PM
The way that I read it the first time (Delphi's quote) was that the game just stopped when you reached the battle of Yavin (although I am somewhat confused on how the battle of Yavin could exist if the rebel player were to just ignore the planet), but it could also mean that the latest tech. you will have access to will be from the battle of Yavin or thereabouts.
 Darth Alec
10-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Get your rants right.
He he... people ranting ranters. That you dont see everyday.

Unless mommy and daddy pay you everything...
Whats so bad about that?
 Gripmaster
10-14-2005, 3:21 PM
What do you mean by stopping at Yavin? They have Kyle Katarn as hero for crying out loud. With a BLUE lightsaber. Frankly, the whole thing is starting to confuse me.
 lukeiamyourdad
10-14-2005, 4:57 PM
Whats so bad about that?

The fact that you don't realize the value of 40$ if your parents pay you everything.
 Naja
10-15-2005, 1:58 AM
This is bull****. I hope someone mods in these missing ships soon after EaW is released.
 Darth Windu
10-15-2005, 4:05 AM
So people are starting to think this game might suck? I seem to recall someone saying that a while ago. Who was it? Oh, thats right, me.

Love to say I told you so...so, I told you so :)

Really though, although I knew they weren't going to include the Republic and Seperatists, but to only half-arse the Empire and Rebellion at the same time is inexcusable.

Pity, I thought LA and the remnants of Westwood would have been able to do so much better...
 Jan Gaarni
10-15-2005, 5:51 AM
The quote I gave is probably a huge missunderstanding.
That was also what sparked the whole SSD being in debate aswell, so it's possible. :)

But what is for sure, is that the Tech Tree stops at around ANH, plus a few extra ships that came out shortly after.
 FroZticles
10-15-2005, 9:13 AM
They clearly stated the timelines at press release I don't see why everyone has there panties in a twist about it now. Haha and all of you are hypocrits going off at me for seeing issues with gameplay from the start and now they are hurting your precious realism you are all like OMG!!. I hate to say I told you so.... ohh wait I just did.
 DarthMaulUK
10-15-2005, 9:27 AM
So people are starting to think this game might suck? I seem to recall someone saying that a while ago. Who was it? Oh, thats right, me.

How on earth can you make such a sweeping statement considering that you havent even played the game?

Just because the Super Stardestroyer isn't in the game doesnt mean that people have to hate it or react like a few of you have been. The fact new styled ships have been created is for the modders out there to have some fun and looking at some of the work, they are!

The timeline has always been set just before A New Hope, meaning that you can change the way that history plays out and I welcome any expansion pack with addition worlds and ships.

The one thing with any Star Wars game, is the timeline. One of the reasons why KOTOR was such a huge hit was because it set itself 4000 years before movies - giving it a huge scope to play with.

However, when you focus on the movie timelines, of course some are not going to be happy with that but lets open up your imaginations out there as this game is there to create your own Star Wars world; and unlike Star Wars Galaxies; have fun doing it.

DMUK
 Jan Gaarni
10-15-2005, 1:12 PM
They clearly stated the timelines at press release I don't see why everyone has there panties in a twist about it now. Haha and all of you are hypocrits going off at me for seeing issues with gameplay from the start and now they are hurting your precious realism you are all like OMG!!. I hate to say I told you so.... ohh wait I just did.
Err, no they didn't.

Go read it again.

No, nevermind, let me help you.
It says, and I quote:
Set a few years before the events of Episode IV A New Hope ...
Let me quote that again:
Set a few years before the events of Episode IV A New Hope ...

Now, nowhere in the press release does it say the game will end at ANH.

I can quote both Press Releases in their entirety if you want.
 nightmarenny
10-15-2005, 1:45 PM

Really though, although I knew they weren't going to include the Republic and Seperatists, but to only half-arse the Empire and Rebellion at the same time is inexcusable.

Pity, I thought LA and the remnants of Westwood would have been able to do so much better...
Dont be so silly! This is still a bad reason to to hate it. Its isn't half-assed. They just choose a stopping point. How terrible.

Though I am glad you posted so I could tell you how stupid your otherarguement was. The Republic becomes the empire. Having a game(like this wheretime goes on as you play) with both of them would be redundant and stupid.
 lukeiamyourdad
10-15-2005, 3:24 PM

See, there's a difference between us and you. You said the game would suck before having sufficient information. We do however have enough information to make a relatively good judgement about the possible content.

Though, like I said, I'm giving them the benifit of the doubt. I have some doubts now about the game and I do hope it will turn out alright.

I'll have to note that this isn't an issue with the SSD though, more talking about overall content. The non-inclusion of various post ANH units like the B-Wing or Tie Interceptor for example.
 DarthMaulUK
10-15-2005, 4:55 PM
I'm not a fan of closing posts so lets try not to get too personal here and keep on topic

DMUK
 popcorn2008
10-15-2005, 6:35 PM
If this game doesnt go so far on the timeline, then I am looking foward to good content and missions. I wont get too mad because this game looks far better than ANY Star Wars RTS ever released. Even though the technology may end at ANH. Also.... check this out:
With that said, it does not mean it couldn’t make it into the game down the road for multiplayer or future expansions.
That is from the Petro developers original post. Now that means the executor may be included in multiplayer at least. So maybe this woke them up that many people are expecting this and they are gonna add it in for at least multiplayer. On the other hand, he also said future expansion. So we will have to spend 39-49 dollars for an expansion. I am guessing they will do an expansion up to RoTJ. Then maybe later do a clone wars expansion.

Now because the release date was pushed all the way to febuary, and now we now the tech tree wont be as big as everyone thought, I am expecting great game features and missions and all that. If the game doesnt have good/or enough content then I will be SEVERLY disappointed.
 Juggernaut1985
10-15-2005, 6:52 PM
They'll do a Clone Wars expansion first if any becuase of the prequel trilogy being fresh in everyone's minds.
 FroZticles
10-15-2005, 9:05 PM
I've heard them state that it is after ROTS and before ANH in a few Q&A and interviews. If you want to see the movie battles go watch the movie....
 popcorn2008
10-15-2005, 9:55 PM
They'll do a Clone Wars expansion first if any becuase of the prequel trilogy being fresh in everyone's minds.
I'm not sure, because that would require almost three times as much work as a RoTJ expansion. I mean you have to add two more teams with their own base units. But with an RoTJ expansion all they have to do is add a few more units and features to an already existing side.

I foresee a RoTJ expansion to be announced around summer 2006 and then released maybe winter 2006. Then a clone war expansion.

Of course you do have a point with the prequels still being on peoples minds.
 Naja
10-15-2005, 11:58 PM
I still hope (if they indeed do a ROTJ type expansion), that it STARTS before Episode IV would have ended. That way, Tarkin would still be alive, the Death Star would not have been destroyed, it would truly be with a clean slate.
 Darth Windu
10-16-2005, 12:37 AM
Well the thing is, I said before that this game will suck and everything I have seen has confirmed my first suspicions.

- First off, about a prequel expansion pack, that would be blatant prifiteering. Fact is, they should have added the Republic and Seperatists in the first place. After all, even GBG had six sides when it originally came out, which was before AotC. In that case, an expansion was warrented, in this case it is not.

- Having two civs, which look like they will be incomplete, is inexcusable. Not only are we going to have very little replay value, but we are getting things like the Moc Cal/Frigate Mutant Ship, and the Empire's 'super-Hover Tank in Space' instead of the SSD, B-wing etc. Not good enough.

- So much for 'create your own history'. I must say, one of the things about this sort of game that annoys me the most is having them end at some point. That is why I love 'Star Trek: Birth of the Federation'. The game can go for ages, and only ends when either you are defeated, or you win. Making it end arbitrarily leaves things incomplete and just feels wrong.

I could go on, but there isn't much point. Suffice to say that I hoped that post-GBG we would see a great SW RTS that would include the four important sides and do it well. I thought, and still do think, that Petroglyph is capable of that, but having been dissapointed by Lucasarts before (eg. releasing KotOR2 before it was finished) I can't say I'm all that suprised.
 Naja
10-16-2005, 1:26 AM
I'm dissapointed too about the "create your own history" section being dashed too, I must say, but it is far too premature to know whether the game will suck or not. This game does seem to have some innovative and fun features, and we'll have to wait and see. Mods can accomodate whatever ships and other units were left out of the two factions.

I fail to see though why the game should have had the Republic and the Separatists - the damn thing starts just a little before Episode IV! The Empire has been well established from the corpse of the Republic, and the Separatists erased.

So now that you're convinced the game will suck, will we no longer have to put up with your incessant bitching and whining on this forum? ;)
 Darth Windu
10-16-2005, 5:09 AM
Naja - you'll never get away from my incessant whining and bitching ;)

In terms of adding the Republic and Seperatists, as the game is 'Empire at War' I agree, it doesn't make any sense to have the prequel sides because, as you pointed out, it takes place after RotS. What I'm saying though is that ANY new SW RTS should have included all four sides. To do anything less, and EaW seems to be a lot less, is just plain daft.
 Darth Alec
10-16-2005, 5:24 AM
I still don't see why you still fight everybody about this being a bad game. Never heard about the saying "If you can't beat them, join them"? We'l see when the game comes out, not before. And nomatter what you say, this will be better then SWGB.
 FroZticles
10-16-2005, 8:57 AM
I'm not dling mods to change the game to make it better if it sucks I just wont play it simple. And Windu its time to find something else to go on about.
 lukeiamyourdad
10-16-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm not dling mods to change the game to make it better if it sucks I just wont play it simple.

True. Yet in the end, gameplay will have its word. Even if we dislike the fact that some units haven't been included, it'll be fun to play if the gameplay portion is good.

Windu- :dozey:
 popcorn2008
10-16-2005, 11:27 AM
You know Windu even though the game may not be as good as it could have been, I dont think it will suck. Why? Compared to what? Force commander? I mean any Star Wars RTS would almost be better than that. It is obvious that petro has put quite a deal of work into this game and we cant forget that. They started from scratch! We should cut them some slack because they created everything new. I still will love this game, after i get over the shock.
 Makwu
10-17-2005, 3:20 PM
Compared to Force Commander? By that standard, just about every RTS game is good. Unfortunetly LEC has a history of bad games. So to say "because its better than previous LEC games" shouldn't be a qualifying statement. Rather, how is it compared to other current RTS? Granted, there aren't many other games that it can easily be compated to. But will it be as intelligent as RTW, as fun as warhammer? As creative as B&W? No game can be all of those things, but i think we are all smart enough to hold everything the game offers as far as fun, replayability, new features, graphics etc..compare it to the other RTS games that we could be playing instead and say "This game is great" or "This game is not so great". When it comes down to it, we all want a great game and a star wars game in one. When we start talking about previous SW games, for some reason that request starts to feel like we are asking/expection too much. But we are not.
 popcorn2008
10-17-2005, 7:02 PM
I used force commander as a comparison because it is one of the only Star Wars RTS around. Im not talking about every RTS. Im saying I will like this game because it will be the best Star Wars RTS. It will finally give us a great RTS to play with the star wars name on it. Now Im not sure if it will be one of the best overall RTS. That's still to be seen.
 Darth Windu
10-18-2005, 12:39 AM
lol, I love it. Here I am making predictions that the game will suck, and get blasted by practically everyone for it, and here we have others saying 'it will be the greatest' and nothing is said. Sounds more than a little hypocritical.
 nightmarenny
10-18-2005, 12:48 AM
Maybe its the reasons? You know your picky fan boy whining compared to others loving the way the game will work.

Oh and for those that don't know the Venator is in the game(Really a rupublic army is pretty dumb at this point considering the majority of those units are in imperial anyway.
 lukeiamyourdad
10-18-2005, 9:46 AM
lol, I love it. Here I am making predictions that the game will suck, and get blasted by practically everyone for it, and here we have others saying 'it will be the greatest' and nothing is said. Sounds more than a little hypocritical.

I don't think it's very smart from you to bash a game in a FAN forum.

That's the difference. I'm not saying it's not hypocritical though.
 Jan Gaarni
10-18-2005, 1:35 PM
Predictions that was based on 1 thing: No Republic/Seperatist forces. :rolleyes:

No wonder you got blasted. :D
 Master_Cain
10-18-2005, 2:22 PM
Hey guys ! The Venator is in officialy :) (*For those who don't know yet)
 popcorn2008
10-18-2005, 7:35 PM
I agree with you, but luke has a point in that this is a fan forum. So most people will like the game rather than hate it.
 Darth Windu
10-19-2005, 3:40 AM
I agree that yes, it is a fan forum, so people will naturally be optimistic. However, I would expect that any forum would be open to all views. Thing is though, instead of trying to convince me that the game will be good, I got blasted instead.
 FroZticles
10-19-2005, 3:53 AM
I'm open to all views but its so stupid that you dislike a game simply because they did not make it PT. Get over it already!! Buy Battlefront 2 and only play Clone era there done. Now please shut up.
 OverlordAngelus
10-19-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm disapointed that the technology in the game doesnt go as far as ROTJ.

Now what doesn't seem to be clear, does the game still let you conquer/liberate the galaxy, or does it end with the destruction of the deathstar/rebel base?

I feel like they will soon be saying the open ended structure of the game was dropped and we have to play preset missions in the order they come in :(

I really hope the expansion covers ESB and ROTJ, rather than having seperate expansions for each movie. I would hope they draw from the Thrawn Trilogy too.
 lukeiamyourdad
10-19-2005, 4:45 PM
I'm open to all views but its so stupid that you dislike a game simply because they did not make it PT. Get over it already!! Buy Battlefront 2 and only play Clone era there done. Now please shut up.

Froz is fully right. Sith had some doubts about gameplay but got zero blasting. Froz also has doubts and so does me and popcorn (after the exclusion of a part of the OT) yet none of us gets blasted.

Besides, you have to realize that since you're who you are Windu, you're going to get blasted eventually.
 popcorn2008
10-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Exactly, I still have doubts about the game because 2/3 of the OT wont be in it. Of course it is still very confusing since it seems the Rebels have many aspects from RoTJ, but the Empire doesnt. I.E. A-Wing. I'm hoping they have something very secretive up their sleve. All Im saying is that this will be a good Star Wars RTS. Now it may not be as good as it could have been. I also find it highly annoying to spend anouther 50 dollars to buy the rest of the OT to add to the game.
 Darth Windu
10-20-2005, 12:36 AM
FroZ - I don't dislike the game because it doesn't have the PT in it, I dislike it because it's going to be incomplete, and yet another waste of fan's money.
 DarthMaulUK
10-20-2005, 8:51 AM
Firstly, lets try not too get personal in these hot debates (havent seen it yet, just a friendly warning) and although I disagree with alot of the negative feedback here, it does all add spice to the debate - the whole point of these forums.

I like the fact theres a cross over from Episode III to Episode IV and just because the tech tree or game doesnt cover the Clone period or Return Of Jedi really wont have a bearing on how the game actually plays.

As I have said before, the entire game appears to be open to Modding and of course expansions and frankly, it will probably keep the game alive over the next few years. We need a class like Rebellion that is totally playable without the steep learning curve and I am confident that Petroglyph will deliver. The game footage we have seen looks excellent.

DMUK
 Darth_Terros
10-20-2005, 9:37 AM
I've noticed alot of people moaning that the game ends at ANH

Are you sure they dont just mean the story campaigns just ends there?

Maybe there is a sort of skirmish mode without the story which will make the game more open ended and you can do what you want?

So far i've seen nothing to say that this game is incomplete or rubbish it looks great to me! just what i've been waiting for i love RTSs and i adore starwars

whatever its gotta be better than Galatic Battlegrounds
 popcorn2008
10-20-2005, 3:11 PM
FroZ - I don't dislike the game because it doesn't have the PT in it, I dislike it because it's going to be incomplete, and yet another waste of fan's money.
I dont think the game is going to be incomplete. They have increased the release date just to polish it up. It may seem incomplete though, due to the lack of OT content.
 GhOsT-Jedi
10-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Lets not forget, they can add things in patches. They, I'm almost possitve, will add it either in the patch or an expantion.
 OverlordAngelus
10-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Lucasarts have a history of patching a game once and if its still broken, abandoning it.

So don't count on patches to add new content.
 Juggernaut1985
10-22-2005, 10:08 AM
But Petroglyph is the dev so its entirely possible they will continue to support their game.
Page: 2 of 3