Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Requests for New Mod Utilities

Page: 1 of 2
 tk102
09-15-2005, 3:11 PM
Hello KotOR modder! Welcome to the Astromech Droid Center. There are a number of utilities here to help you mod the KotOR series games. All of these have been created as-needed and usually by request so.......

Can't find a utility that could really make your life easier?
Do wish someone would just create a tool to help you?
Post the request here!

Hopefully one of the droids here will be able to come up with something to your liking (or at least come up with work-around using what's available).

If you have suggestions for improving existing tools, please post them in their respective thread.

Note: You can request new add-ons to KotOR Tool, the Swiss Army knife of KotOR modding, either here or in the KotOR Tool (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=121572) thread.
 Osuirof
02-06-2006, 9:30 AM
I didn`t find nothing like it, and I think it could be usefull:
- viewer for various model, texture, body, etc. variations.
 Doc Valentine
02-06-2006, 9:47 AM
^^^^^^

I second this, I think. Anyways I would love to be able to know what appearance I am giving my npc before i put him in the erf. I would rather not have to go into game or have to extract the whole model into 3ds Max. I have started creation on something that would help with that though, I'm not sure if anyone else has, Im sure anyone could do a better job than me at it though, mine will be just pictures in front of the appearance :).

-Gsccc
 rgdelta
02-06-2006, 6:46 PM
I like that idea and GSCCC I think just pictures would be good for a start.
 Osuirof
02-07-2006, 4:02 PM
I thought rather about view of items such as weapons\armor\etc. (+ for Aurora Toolset in NWN, you could see what your item would look like) but if someone could do NPC models too, then suuureee.
 Darth InSidious
02-07-2006, 4:20 PM
Is an easy model texture replacer, for room models more specifically feasible?
 Osuirof
02-08-2006, 9:56 AM
Darth InSidious
Sorry, but I don`t understand what you mean, could you make it more clear ?
 tk102
02-08-2006, 10:31 AM
I thought rather about view of items such as weapons\armor\etc. (+ for Aurora Toolset in NWN, you could see what your item would look like) but if someone could do NPC models too, then suuureee.
I thought an item browser was what you meant too Osuirof. Both KSE and KT have the ability to see items (well, their icons actually).

Viewing models and skins on models is something else entirely and is beyond the scope of my current abilities.
 oldflash
02-08-2006, 10:54 AM
There is a nwn model viewer but most of the time is crash and view window is small, does not support anvmap (apply this as transparency) and not easy to controll.
On this momment using 3dsmax is the best way to see objects with texture in real time.
 Osuirof
02-08-2006, 12:34 PM
tk102
Sorry for not making myself clear.
Yes, I want to view different textures of items (combinations of numbers like: Model Variation, Body Variation, Texture Variation)
I mean their look in player hands, on their chests, etc., not their icons in inventory (but that would be usefull too) .
Both KSE and KT have the ability to see items (well, their icons actually).
Hmm, in my KT (1.0.2131.27110) I don`t have it.
Does it`s by default on, or has to be manually turn on ? Upgrade ?

oldflash
3D modelling and stuff scares me.
But, maybe I could Persuade my friend who likes that kind of things to help me out.
So what I have to do\extract to view all of those combinations ?
 Darth InSidious
02-20-2006, 4:50 PM
Darth InSidious
Sorry, but I don`t understand what you mean, could you make it more clear ?
*takes a deep breath*

Each module in KotOR and TSL is made up of a whole load of models, held together with files like the .lyt, the .are et ceteri.

When re-skinning some models, such as weapons, and rooms, one has to change the model's entries for which texture to use manually, using a HEX editor. This takes quite a while with rooms, for example.

What I am asking is if there is a way to remove the need to HEX edit every entry for each texture in a model in order to change the appearance to your new set of textures.
 Weiser_Cain
03-05-2006, 8:24 AM
I'd just like someone to make a importer/exporter specifically for KOTOR that does all the conversions automatically. I'm having a really hard time getting anything in the game, let alone getting it right, I just can't keep track of what file is what and by the time I realize something’s wrong I can't really remember at what point I might have messed up.
 GamerX51
04-22-2006, 7:54 AM
I'd really like a tool that will merge global.jrl files together. I just spent three *snip* hours trying to get two incompatible mods using the same global.jrl file to work! That's just not right! :(

I'm sorry you are angry, but please refrain from posting using foul language, even using symbols to cover up letters, foul language is foul language. Thanks. -RH
 Revans disciple
08-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Yes, there are hundreds of pc mod tools for both of KotORs, but has anyone yet requested a TSL xbox ultilities. Because if not, I'll be the first one then, so:
Is there anyone that could make an xbox tsl editor? Pleeaaze?!
:duel:
Luke=My hopes for finding one, Vader=tons of pc tools
 Darkkender
08-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Yes, there are hundreds of pc mod tools for both of KotORs, but has anyone yet requested a TSL xbox ultilities. Because if not, I'll be the first one then, so:
Is there anyone that could make an xbox tsl editor? Pleeaaze?!
:duel:
Luke=My hopes for finding one, Vader=tons of pc tools

Yes they have been requested. However the likeliehood of them being made is about on par with not at all. The tools such as KSE and Kotor Tool are the only ones that have any type of xbox modding capability. However since there are some differences between files such as models between the PC and xbox and our resident tool makers have little to no interest in investing in duplicates of the games as well as possibly investing in a xbox if need be. There are also a few other mod file types that can't be run on xbox for whatever reason as well.

I would recomend if you want to play a modded version of either of the Kotor games you plan on buying copies of them for PC.
 Hebejebelus
09-20-2006, 12:55 PM
What I need is a KOTOR modding tool for mac. Although I can program it is confined to C and Applescript, so the sooner I get my hands on a Mac version of KOTOR tool, the better. Cheetahfeathers or Sothihenson help me out. Please?
 Darkness_Unknow
10-24-2006, 4:44 AM
yes, my computer is the type that barely works under the presure of enternet and my xbox is so much better. i need a way to mod my xbox games because a new comp is more expensive then file transfer to an xbox by whatever means. can anyone help me out with that? not a to xbox or transfer the mods or whatever? I have emailed the creator but he hasnt sent back yet.

Edit: You know, someone should make a mod that makes jedi robes as defensive as armor. Or, make armor extremely strong but not restricting certain force powers.

Further Edit: Sorry about the double post.

And, how do you get the signature pic to work? Mine wont.
 Darth_Luminus
10-31-2006, 10:33 PM
A utility that would come in really handy is a model conveter. And I don't mean a binary mdl to ASCII mdl conveter. I'm talking a steriod pumped binary mdl to gmax conveter.
 Kaspian
11-01-2006, 3:54 AM
I'd really like a tool that will merge global.jrl files together. Have you tried Stoffe's Global.jrl Merger (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=170691)?)

Edit: OMG I overlooked the date

:wstupid:
 lordofmalachor
02-27-2007, 9:36 PM
A program that could allow you to extract 3D models from other games etc. and use them as players/ npc's in Kotor/ tsl would be great.
 RedHawke
02-28-2007, 12:38 AM
A program that could allow you to extract 3D models from other games etc. and use them as players/ npc's in Kotor/ tsl would be great.
Will never happen as that would be a tool made specifically for porting and not only is it illegal (The kind that would get you shut down for IP infringement), but it also isn't condoned here. Sorry.

Welcome to the forums though. :waive1:
 lordofmalachor
03-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Ohh... thanx.
Well, I had another idea fort a tool. I know some programs like illustrator come with UV mappers, which often comes with the ability to make a 3D model of your head. Though I doubt you could import models from these programs, maybe (though I'm not gonna get my hopes up) somebody could make a UV mapper just for Kotor, maybe as an add on to kotor tool. Doubtful, but you never no.
 DreadWizardDM
04-09-2007, 8:43 AM
There are so many mods out there that are amazing, so whats the problem? Getting them to all work together without having to know how to mod or spend days trying to edit a 2da or gff or whatever. I would love to see a tool that is easy to use with a nice simple GUI that enables you to take all your mods and integrate them automatically. The tool should autofix the 2da and other files so none of the mods overlap or screw each other up. I know this is a WHOPPER of a request but it would save sooooooo many people a ton of headaches, it would also drastically reduce the number of non-modders pleading for help getting things to work. So if anyone out there in the community is a kickbutt programmer a tool like this would be a "magic bullet" for everyone, both modders and non modders alike.
 tk102
04-09-2007, 10:12 AM
I think you're describing the TSLPatcher utility made by a kickbutt programmer named stoffe, except that utility puts the onus on the developer to distribute the "patch".

By the time the mods reach the player, it is too late. The savegames become intimately entwined with the mods and when a conflict occurs, there is no way to tell how to untie the knots. That's why the TSLPatcher is an important utility -- it patches the distribution as it gets installed. :)

Thread link for TSLPatchter (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=149285)

Also, for future reference, please use the sticky "Requests for Mod Utilities" (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=152374) thread to make requests. Thanks :)
 DreadWizardDM
04-09-2007, 2:49 PM
I think you're describing the TSLPatcher utility made by a kickbutt programmer named stoffe, except that utility puts the onus on the developer to distribute the "patch".

By the time the mods reach the player, it is too late. The savegames become intimately entwined with the mods and when a conflict occurs, there is no way to tell how to untie the knots. That's why the TSLPatcher is an important utility -- it patches the distribution as it gets installed. :)

Thread link for TSLPatchter (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=149285)

Also, for future reference, please use the sticky "Requests for Mod Utilities" (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=152374) thread to make requests. Thanks :)

Hmm is there anyway to redo a mod with the tsl patcher utility so when you go to use the mod its all good to go? I doubt anyone who makes a mod would complain if someone used it on their mod for personal use and didnt upload it without the original modders permission. Baiscally take an old mod and upgrade it for use with the tslpatcher if you know what im getting at... that way you dont have to mess with 2da and uti files and all that nasty stuff hehe.
 ShadowDragon868
04-10-2007, 6:10 PM
It is, unfortunately, not always that easy to make two conflicting mods integrate smoothly.

For example, say both mods you want edit baseitems.2da. A lot of modders would concievably want to edit baseitems.2da, would they not?

Say you have two mods, one which adds one new entry, and one which adds nine. You need to start with the second mod, and append the information from the first one to baseitems.2da. Easy, right?

Well, it's possible. Easy? No.

But then you fire everything up, and suddenly everything's screwed up. You're trying to equip a lightsaber as an armor - that's not right!

Of course it's not, because the items reference the line of baseitems.2da. So you have to go back, find the item in question, and edit it so that it now points at the correct line. Easy? No, by now it's bloody annoying.

Now say you have two mods, both of which add upwards of 5+ items to several .2das?

It'd take even a wizzer modder-programmer like Stoffe a good while to sort that nibblock out. It'd probably take you or me a few days of trial-and-error.

How in the hell is a program supposed to sort that out?
 Prime
04-11-2007, 10:13 AM
The big problem is when different mods use the same entry somewhere. For example, there are only so many appearance columns that can be used to specify different clothing, and different mods use the same column. Once they are all used, you have to pick and choose.
 DreadWizardDM
04-13-2007, 6:29 PM
Wow, umm and this is why I cannot mod lol. Wish I could but if I look at the code its like looking at an alien language. Hmm it would be nice if bioware or obsidion or lucasarts released their games with modding tools that worked really good to accomplish all those great things. :) but im not counting my chickens hehe.
 Illuminatus
08-20-2007, 12:55 PM
I'd like to see a tool that's like Macromedia DreamWeaver, a tool that will give you plain-english options, and translate them automatically into the desired code. I'd really like to see this used for a Make Your Own Force Powers Tool, where you could fill in attributes, effects, etc, and it would write the script. Then you could follow the steps in the tutorial about force icons and make an icon. Then you would select more options from the .2da section and it would automatically create your desired .2da file. Then just click finish and put the files it spits out into the override. Hope you guys make this, because everyone I know lives for the force powers!
 Darkkender
08-20-2007, 8:43 PM
I'd like to see a tool that's like Macromedia DreamWeaver, a tool that will give you plain-english options, and translate them automatically into the desired code. I'd really like to see this used for a Make Your Own Force Powers Tool, where you could fill in attributes, effects, etc, and it would write the script. Then you could follow the steps in the tutorial about force icons and make an icon. Then you would select more options from the .2da section and it would automatically create your desired .2da file. Then just click finish and put the files it spits out into the override. Hope you guys make this, because everyone I know lives for the force powers!

Although I would agree that it would be nice to have a modding utility like this. However a utility like this would be alot of overkill for a very small return as 2da editing is rather straight forward as is scripting once you sit down and try your hand at it. A plain english parser modding utility is rather intensive from a programming perspective, and as I mentioned overkill because the application of this intensive programming is for a very narrow scope. Dreamweaver has a rather broad scope of use worldwide which makes its plain english parser rather very useful for the broad scale of development in which it is used. Also for a perspective the man hours dedicated to developing a program such as dreamweaver probably took a team of 4-10 programmers or more more than a year working 60 hours or more a week. While not all of this time would have been dedicated to plain english parsing it is likely that a good 30% of that time would have been. Now considering that for 1 person even that 4-10 man teams 30% would likely take a year or more. This is time better spent modding or figuring out how to break file formats for modding.
 Illuminatus
08-22-2007, 12:54 AM
Well, if Beancounter would hurry up and post the rest of his scripting tutorial, I'd be able to try my hand at it!

Edit: Not good. Could anyone here post a tutorial on how to script offensive force powers? My inquirys at the request section aren't going well, so I want to make my own force powers!!!
 Darkkender
08-22-2007, 2:20 AM
I didn't know that beancounter was still around.
 Darth InSidious
12-12-2007, 11:59 AM
resurrexite!

Just an idea that occurred to me, given the vast number of launcher mods now around - how about a kind of KMM-esque launcher-switching app?
 jedijed
12-19-2007, 3:48 PM
First, is there some way to use kotortool's module editor WITHOUT the 'proper' map files? I don't care if it is all black, as long as I can EDIT!

Second, is there a *.jrl EDITOR? The file merger is great, but I realy need an editor...
 Darth InSidious
12-19-2007, 7:42 PM
First, is there some way to use kotortool's module editor WITHOUT the 'proper' map files? I don't care if it is all black, as long as I can EDIT!
You can do this by a more manual method, using a GFF editor. The recommended one is tk102's k-gff, since this doesn't screw up cameras like the others do. I believe k-gff is available from SWK.com :)

Second, is there a *.jrl EDITOR? The file merger is great, but I realy need an editor...
Again, opening a .jrl file with a GFF editor will work for this. :)
 Serathas
12-19-2007, 10:35 PM
i would like to see a tool which could let you both see a npc, and change its name, stats, which dialogue file it uses, and see it like its ingame, that would have been awsome, and so it supports win2k
 murdrax
01-23-2008, 7:21 PM
i would love to see a tool that like the odf and global.jbl one can merge dlg files together!!
 murdrax
01-30-2008, 5:13 PM
i would love to see a new tool that the ultimate file merger.

it would merge odf,dlg,ncs,tlk,jrl basically any type of file used in mods expect tga and model would be possible to merge with this tool by taking 1 fresh file and then 2 modded files to create a new modded file for all file types used!!
 Ferc Kast
01-30-2008, 7:41 PM
I'd like to see a 2da editor as simple as Orsan's (http://kotormods.t-k.ru/progs/edit2da.html), except for English. Thank you in advance.
 Xalard
02-08-2008, 3:53 PM
I'd like .tlk editor with option of fast copying strings from dialog.tlk. You select strings, right click, select copy, then go into your append.tlk and paste. Copying ~80 strings manually one by one can be really annoying. You must select all text manually (ctrl+a dont work) copy it, then open an text editing window (you can't paste directly) ;/ I need to copy so much strings to replace default game's strings in my mod.

At above:
Don't rly tried this Russian thing, cos everything shows as ??????? to me and i dont know russian anyway. What do you need in .2da editor? adding columns? coloring fields? you should try Kristy Kistic kotor tools (idk link, just use search), as 2da editor included here have alittle more functions that kotor tool's. I'm using tk's 102 excel 2da reader/writer (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147961) insert hiperlink don't work ;/) and just editing 2das in excel.
 Marius Fett
02-10-2008, 4:43 AM
I'm not sure if i've seen this before so i'll post a request.

A script program.

A program in which you write your script and can actually save it as an NCS or something from the get go.

Or it would probably have to save as NSS first then compile (if possible at the same time or one after the other straoght away) it would be easier to have a GUI program rather than the NWNNSSComp...

The one in KT is a bit dodgy too I find...
 Darkkender
02-10-2008, 11:40 PM
I wrote a GUI NSSeditor also there was done by Loneferret. Both of them have releases in the tools forum here. Neither of them has been hosted by SWK even though I had requested that of mine more than once.
 Marius Fett
02-11-2008, 4:15 AM
Both have links to PCGM...

And unfortunately the links don't work..

Do you have the tools on your HD that you can send me?

Or know of another place to get 'em?

-DDD
 DarthXANA
02-17-2008, 7:49 PM
I could really use something similar to Taina's replacer Utility which was supposed to allow you to use edited PC heads and other character models....but the only links I can find are PCGM which is of course dead and gone....anyone think they can make something like that....

or have the utility laying around and can send it to me?
 Sithspecter
02-26-2008, 5:15 PM
In the recent development of creating new modules, we have come across a problem. It seems that NWmax cannot import and export some of the very important collision...well...whatever the model uses to collide (not walkmeshes). Not a completely new modelling program, just an extension and importer/exporter. I'm not sure if it is possible, and this is a big request, but could come of you great tool making guys work on this problem? Magnus is having trouble decoding some fields, and I know he'd love to work on this. The problems include that you can fire guns right through the walls, and the camera goes through also, some pretty ugly and drastic effects.

Well, thanks in advance for who even considers!

SS
 arthurconandoyle12
08-02-2008, 1:41 PM
a simple texture file extractor
 EnderWiggin
08-02-2008, 2:01 PM
a simple texture file extractor

Just use KotOR tool. Click on the texture you want and click the "extract" button.

_EW_
 Darth InSidious
08-02-2008, 4:47 PM
Some kind of mod manager that allowed you to swap in and out launchers would be cool.
 ForeverNight
08-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Cant you just use the KMM and direct it to the Launcher area?

I think that that's all you'd have to do... I don't know though, it's been a while since I've used the KMM...
 Darth InSidious
08-05-2008, 12:42 PM
I don't know of a single launcher that comes with a .kmm file.
Page: 1 of 2