Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What platform will this remade Dark Forces be for?

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Murk
07-15-2004, 11:24 AM
I hope it is not just for computer because the original also was for playstation. I got the playstation one because I don't like playing those games on the computer. So I hope its for Playstation 2 or X-Box or Gamecube.
 Cheech Marin
07-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Uhh... can mods even be made for console versions of games?
 Neverhoodian
07-15-2004, 1:16 PM
Not that I'm aware of. I think console games can't be modded due to legal issues and copyright protection. At least, I haven't heard of anyone modding console games. The consoles themselves, maybe, but not the games.

I'm certain that this mod is being made for the PC (and possibly Mac) only.
 Darth_Linux
07-15-2004, 1:30 PM
I don't think so . . .this mod is only for PC and possibly Mac OS if someone knows how to get it working . . .
 Ackehallgren
07-16-2004, 10:45 AM
I think someone didn't quite get the joke of april 1st...

This isn't some official game that's gonna be in your closest videogame store... It's a mod for the computer... Not something Lucasarts did for fun...
 Benevolence
07-16-2004, 8:56 PM
Personally, that's why I prefer PC games vs. console counterparts. You get all the third party mods and TCs.
 CortoCG
07-17-2004, 9:28 AM
I like both systems. Pc for modding, and console to lay belly up on my couch playing all day :P.
Besides, there's no way to get the game working on another system than PC or Mac, since the quake 3 engine won't work on another platform even if we burn the mod into a ps2 cd :confused: . Is just not that simple.
 michael_collins
07-30-2004, 3:41 PM
In a sorta similar but totally unrelated vein......whats the system requirements gonna be for this thing? On par with JKA? Or slightly higher?
 MeshThe2nd
07-31-2004, 9:12 PM
@ Micheal Collins:

The Specs are the same as JKA. So whatever you can dish out in
JKA, you can certainly expect the same performance in this
extra-ordinary endeavour.

Anyways, if LucasArts did do a re-make of Dark Forces, (which is
a low probability) it wouldn't be as good as these guys are doing
it. Hell, if it was re-made, they'ed probably mod it to look better
than the stock.

Hail to modders for every game out there, for making older games
still fun and enjoyable to play even today :D
 SlicerDude
08-02-2004, 3:32 PM
Hail to modders for every game out there, for making older games still fun and enjoyable to play even today

Are you implying that DF is no longer fun in its original form? :) As much as I value the DFMod team's work, I'd have to disagree with you on that one. I mean, why would one remake a game that wasn't fun in the first place? ;)
 CortoCG
08-03-2004, 10:18 AM
the original Dark Forces games is actually the most fun Star Wars shooter so far. But it's almost unplayable on it's original form. I think that's why we are making this mod in the first place. We, team members, are all fans of Dark Forces, and we want the new generations to play the game and experience the same thing we did back in 1995.
 Ackehallgren
08-05-2004, 3:24 AM
Originally posted by SlicerDude
Are you implying that DF is no longer fun in its original form? :) As much as I value the DFMod team's work, I'd have to disagree with you on that one. I mean, why would one remake a game that wasn't fun in the first place? ;)

It's so fun...
But I still can't get it to work :P
So hail the DFteam! They rule!
 Zappa_0
08-21-2004, 4:33 PM
Yea I have DF aswell for PC. Its ok, but I like DF 2 better. Has a better story I think.
 Brad Oliver
09-06-2004, 6:13 PM
Originally posted by Darth_Linux
I don't think so . . .this mod is only for PC and possibly Mac OS if someone knows how to get it working . . .

I'd be more than happy to do the Mac version for you guys. I did the actual MacOS ports of JK2 and Jedi Academy, so I'm very familiar with the engine.
 Benevolence
09-06-2004, 8:43 PM
Originally posted by Brad Oliver
I'd be more than happy to do the Mac version for you guys. I did the actual MacOS ports of JK2 and Jedi Academy, so I'm very familiar with the engine.

Send an e-mail to our project leader, Darth_linux (Dave), and let him know about what you can do. You can easily find his email on our main website. Thanks for the offer! We would really appreciate your help!
 The_One
09-07-2004, 10:55 AM
We seem to be attracting a lot of "high up" interest lately ;)

First Raven e-mailed to tell us they "can't wait" - now we have the guy who did the official Mac ports for JA and JO wanting to do a port for the mod. All we need now is money from LucasArts :p
 Darth_Linux
09-07-2004, 8:38 PM
Send me the money send me the money!!!
 Darth_Linux
09-07-2004, 8:39 PM
Originally posted by Brad Oliver

Hi Brad

Please send me an email to darth_linux AT msn DOT com and we'll talk some more.

thanks
 Tom Resnick
09-08-2004, 6:55 AM
I'm so happy... for a while I didn't think I'd be able to play the mod on my Mac...
Thanks so much for the offer, Brad. You'r ea real boon to the Mac community. :D
 Magic_Al`s DF
09-16-2004, 7:22 PM
Brad Oliver bringing this mod to the Mac would be so great on so many levels. Absolutely the best person in the world to do it.
 recombinant
09-16-2004, 8:55 PM
Sweet!

I have a feeling that there won't be much to do, since we're not modifying any code. Just maps & resources. But then again there may be some subtle differences that requre tweaking... I'd be interested to find out though.

:holosid:
 Magic_Al`s DF
09-18-2004, 5:23 AM
Well, I know the installer debate (as in, if the mod requires an installer and that installer is a Windows EXE, Macs are shut out or must contend with the raw files) is one thing a professional, bona fide Mac port would resolve. There will probably be other issues. On my Mac, the Moldy Crow would never appear at the end of the secbase demo for Jedi Outcast. Why not? I have no idea. But I'm sure Brad can fix that sort of thing, armed with his blaster pistol and an intimate knowledge of Imperial methods. :cool:
 lassev
09-24-2004, 12:38 AM
Won't this mod be run from a Gamedata subfolder just like any other SP campaign? Since the possibilities for SP modding are somewhat limited, I don't see other viable choices. Of course your scale is vastly different to anything I have messed with.

Anyway, that being said, I think an .exe installer would purely add to the "cool factor" of the mod, but bring little actual benefit (as the mod would only contain one subfolder under Gamedata). I'm not sure how you plan to circumvent the bug concerning custom strings, but I'm looking forward to seeing your solution - whether it be installer related or something more mundane.
Page: 1 of 1