Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

KotOR and KotOR2 Savegame Editor (KSE) - Current Version: 3.3.3

Page: 19 of 25
 Gnarrimoach
11-03-2007, 6:17 PM
I have a strange problem. I used KSE a couple years ago, no problem. It was version 2.something.

I tried using it again recently, and none of the changes I made worked. So I deleted the save, and tried again... and it DID NOT detect my new save, but kept the old one, and claimed to have made the changes.

So I downloaded the latest version, and yet the problem persists.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
 Dramera
11-26-2007, 6:25 PM
I have a strange problem. I used KSE a couple years ago, no problem. It was version 2.something.

I tried using it again recently, and none of the changes I made worked. So I deleted the save, and tried again... and it DID NOT detect my new save, but kept the old one, and claimed to have made the changes.

Yes I am having this same problem! So any help would be lovely before I pull my hair out.
 tk102
11-26-2007, 7:35 PM
make a kse.log file in the same folder as KSE and try doing the modifications again. The kse.log file will capture extra information for debugging.
You can post the contents of the kse.log file or send it to the email in kse-readme.txt
 RevanMMaster
11-30-2007, 2:52 PM
well it aways crashes before it even gets to the screen.
 tk102
11-30-2007, 3:49 PM
Even if it crashes, it may still write information to the log file so please try that anyway.
 RevanMMaster
12-01-2007, 2:22 AM
no it crashes before I even get on the screen
 tk102
12-01-2007, 2:49 AM
You don't need the screen to make a log file. In Windows Explorer, browse to where KSE is, and right click in a blank space and choose New: Text Document. Then right click on New Document.txt and change its name to kse.log. Answer yes when it asks are you sure you want to change the extension. Then double click on KSE to try to launch it (which as you say, will not launch). Then open kse.log file with Notepad and see if anything got written to it.
 Drakulakun
12-02-2007, 9:05 AM
I am having a problem with kse 3.3.3 and KOTOR1.
(...)
Also, when I try to go from South Beach back into the Temple Exterior, the autosave just hangs there on this same file (at about 15-20%) and doesn't do anything.

Thoughts?

I am having the same problem, and I searched around the net and this board and no one seems to ever answer this question.

I installed this game and tried the editor on my savegame (I am on lower city of Taris btw). Everything worked fine up until the point I tried to leave the screen and the autosave shows up and hangs there on the load screen. I tried to deactivate the autosave using the options on the game but it tries to autosave it anyway. Please can anyone help? Btw, I dont have any mods installed. Thanks.
 Joris1
12-04-2007, 4:04 PM
Hey,
Everytime when I open the programm. It shows me this stupid error:

Attempted to read past end of dialog.tlk (tried to read string 136345 but dialog.tlk has 136321 entires)

Kotor Spells.2da

I had this problem somewhere along the way but I cannot remember what I did to solute it. I already tried to change the dialog.tlk, I removed all mods I had in the override folder...

Would be glad if I get a fast reply on this.

Greetings

Joris
 tk102
12-04-2007, 11:51 PM
It's not a stupid error, it's a quite informative error.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=163778) (2nd symptom)
 Joris1
12-05-2007, 7:12 AM
Okay, it isn't a stupid error but it is never pleasant... That's what I mean. ;)

Sorry, I solved the problem. I did not thought at KotOR II. The KSE found the error there and not at KotOR I. I was tiered yesterday, sorry.

Thanks for your help.

Greetings

Joris
 Commander Thire
12-05-2007, 12:08 PM
I tried running save game editor today (i have had it for a while.) V 332 It gave me an error message and closed out. I then downloaded V 333 and i got the same message. Whats wrong? I have never had this problem B4
 tk102
12-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Whats wrong?Boy that's a lot to go on. I wonder what that crazy error message said. :)
 -Nejaa-
12-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarrimoach

I'm also having this problem, I recently re-installed Kotor 2, now for some reason it still thinks the old saved games are there, but doesn't acknowledge the new ones, any easy fix for this?
 tk102
12-05-2007, 12:51 PM
@Neeja

When you reinstall KotOR, it does indeed keep your old savegames -- these do not get removed. KSE does not have any sort of internal memory regarding your old saves -- they really exist on your hard drive. The path to them can be found in your registry -- HKLM\Software\Lucasarts\KotOR2 in the Path string. That's how KSE found them.

If for some reason the path in the registry is wrong, you can manually change the path of where KSE seeks your KotOR installation by right clicking on the "Knights of the Old Republic" or "The Sith Lords" node in the treeview but you'll have to do this each time you launch KSE. (Usually just easier to change the path in the registry directly instead.)
 Commander Thire
12-05-2007, 1:13 PM
Boy that's a lot to go on. I wonder what that crazy error message said. :)

KSE_332.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvience.

If You were in the middle of something the information you were working on might be lost.

Please Tell microsoft about this problem: We have created an error report that you can send to us. We will treat the report as confidental and anonymous. To see what the report contains click here.

Debug Send Error Report Dont send
 tk102
12-05-2007, 1:30 PM
In that case, it's time for a KSE.log file. See post #907 above.
 Commander Thire
12-05-2007, 3:57 PM
nothing came up when i tried. I followed your instrucitons but it doesnt come up.
 tk102
12-05-2007, 4:23 PM
Do you have any mods installed Commander Thire? I was looking back at some earlier posts in the this thread and saw this one from Ourboros that might help.

So the kse.log file is empty and you're sure it's not named kse.log.txt right?
 Terron
12-05-2007, 10:19 PM
How do I add items to characters' inventories for the X-box? I have some saved games from codejunkies that has items (like the Irrisai sabers) that I want to put on a new character I'm making, but KSE 3.3.3 doesn't seem to be able to. Is there an older version that's more compatible with x-box saves?
 tk102
12-05-2007, 10:23 PM
How do I add items to characters' inventories for the X-box? I have some saved games from codejunkies that has items (like the Irrisai sabers) that I want to put on a new character I'm making, but KSE 3.3.3 doesn't seem to be able to. Is there an older version that's more compatible with x-box saves?You cannot add or subtract items from the Xbox versions with KSE. There is no older version that is more compatible.
 Terron
12-05-2007, 11:22 PM
You cannot add or subtract items from the Xbox versions with KSE. There is no older version that is more compatible.OK, thanks.

Any programs out there that will do this? I know it's somehow possible, just not how they did it.
 tk102
12-06-2007, 12:33 AM
Not to my knowledge. The reason for the limitation is due to the fact that the XBox uses a bunch of .sig files to authenticate the game files. 6 out of 7 of these .sig files were understood by yours truly and incorporated into KSE. Unfortunately, I never did solve the mystery of the SAVE_HEADER.sig, so a full-fledged Xbox savegame editor was never completed. :(
 Terron
12-06-2007, 12:40 AM
Not to my knowledge. The reason for the limitation is due to the fact that the XBox uses a bunch of .sig files to authenticate the game files. 6 out of 7 of these .sig files were understood by yours truly and incorporated into KSE. Unfortunately, I never did solve the mystery of the SAVE_HEADER.sig, so a full-fledged Xbox savegame editor was never completed. :(
Oh okay, the editor is great anyway so I appreciate the work you put into it. Does that mean people like Jay FNG and Voxangel and others have access to that info and just aren't sharing it, or did they mod the game in ways other than editing their saves?

One more question: Is there anything I can do to change the name of my character? KSE 3.3.3 seems to corrupt it when I try and I don't really like the name of one of the character I downloaded.
 tk102
12-06-2007, 12:59 AM
They might know something-- I'd think Voxangel would let me know though since he helped beta test the early versions of the Xbox-KSE. As for your name, you can change it as long as you keep the same number of characters as the original.
 Darth Payne
12-14-2007, 12:26 PM
One thing i would REALLY like to se in the next version is a window with a text that holds the in game description of the various items/armors/weapons/feats/skills and powers.

This would be especially helpfull when working on your inventory.

Please, tell me it's going to be added?

The first few times (and a few times still) was very confusing when i didn't recognise something.

Perhaps an options menu for the KSE? Were you can decide what options to have whitin the KSE itself? Or a configuration file, like the one for K1?
 Lord2
12-16-2007, 9:27 AM
Is this tool this active?
 tk102
12-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Is this tool this active?
Do you mean, "is the development of this tool active"? Not currently. The perl modules behind KSE have outgrown KSE's own source code. I had made development on a full redesign of KSE that uses Windows' GUI rather than Perl/Tk but my focus has been on other things.
 Ryuujinn
12-17-2007, 10:11 PM
I have a quick question about the KSE. Upon going into the editor and opening up the savegames, there's a category labeled "Globals". Inside that, are two categories, "Booleans" and "Numerics", which I'm guessing are there to simply keep track of what conditions the player has met, or what events are to occur next. My question is, is there a list out there that labels and/or defines just what those conditions are?

Oh, and I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread. Didn't know where else to put this.
 tk102
12-18-2007, 3:33 AM
There is no master list that I know of. If you are curious about a particular global variable, you can search for its reference in *.nss, *.ncs, and *.dlg files using the FindRefs utility. If you want to compare two savegames' globals you can use the Global Variable Comparison utility. Both are available at http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php)
 cwby74
12-28-2007, 12:34 AM
i recently downloaded kse kotor savegame editor so i can edit a save game problem is it says attempted to read past dlg.tlk file(tried to read string 136345 but dialog.tlk has 136331 entries. what do i need to do to get this to work correctly sorry guys first time using this.
 tk102
12-28-2007, 1:20 PM
i recently downloaded kse kotor savegame editor so i can edit a save game problem is it says attempted to read past dlg.tlk file(tried to read string 136345 but dialog.tlk has 136331 entries. what do i need to do to get this to work correctly sorry guys first time using this.

It means you have installed a mod incorrectly. See this thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=163778)
 CrisG
01-24-2008, 12:03 PM
tk102, just a quick thank you for the remarkable work you do to help us enjoy the fullest possiblities of KOTR, I am on a learning journey on the file sets and the way the game works internally and gathered in all the tools this week, including your KSE tool, and just wanted to say thank you so much for doing so much for us all. Cheers and Happy new year. :)

Thanks for that CrisG. :D Cheers to you too. ~tk
 Darth Payne
01-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Well TK, i've just run into my first big problem with the KSE.

I have no idea where the problem comes from but when i use the KSE and look into the quest list i find this.

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj306/Danyael27/?action=view&current=BigProblem.jpg)

When i clicked on it to see what i can find out, the KSE stops working and shuts down.

I find this in two different saves, this is a problem i have never encountered before.

I'm now going to do a un-install and re-install of the game to see if it's due to one of the recent mods i've added.

Before this i have never had a problem i couldnt handle

I would also like to give my thanks for creating what i think is the best thing for helping kotor gamers like myself. Truly remarkable work.
 tk102
01-25-2008, 1:05 AM
Looks like your journal structure is messed up. If you have a global.jrl in your override, I'd try removing it.

Eek, I think I found a bug in the code. Line 4135:

if ($this_name_strref==1) {
$this_name= $jrl_category->[$jrl_category->fbl('Name')][0];
} else {
$this_name= Bioware::TLK::string_from_resref($registered_path, $this_name_strref);
}

that if statement should read

if ($this_name_strref==-1) {

I'm not 100% sure I can recompile the code correctly as the modules have changed significantly over the past 2 years.
 Scribblez
01-31-2008, 7:14 AM
Are there any twi'lek portraits in the list? They're all random letters and numbers to me except for the actual NPC portraits.

I'm using the NPC model for Zeardra since she's only in Taris thus I don't run across any of twi'leks with missing heads. But I'll take any twi'lek portrait, doesn't have to match perfectly.

And on another note, great program! Thanks so much for creating this.
 Darth Payne
02-02-2008, 8:19 PM
Hey TK.

I've been wondering something.

What exactly does 'item tied to event' mean? I've gotten that message on several items, some default items and some recent mod items.
 thaar
02-12-2008, 10:22 AM
hey guys i need some help, I can't use my kse anymore. It was all fine until I didn't installed first kotor and sice then every time I open kse I get this message "Could not find
Saves directory for kotor 2" and when i click OK both games are listed but I can't edit neither... I can't even enter edit options(there is no + by the game name)
 tk102
02-12-2008, 11:16 AM
KSE looks in your registry to find the path to the installation folders for KotOR and TSL.

To permanent fix the problem you'll need to use regedit
KotOR : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Bioware\SW\Kotor\Path
TSL: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Bioware\Lucasarts\Koto r2\Path

To temporarily fix the problem just double click on the file called kse-readme.txt and read the instructions about "Manually specifying the installation path". ;)

right click on main TSL node
 thaar
02-13-2008, 12:34 PM
well your answer seems helpful but I don't have a clue what node or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and I am afraid to mess around regedit.
can you please explain it so that non computer expert can understand it
 tk102
02-13-2008, 1:39 PM
KSE is looking for your saves directory and can't find it.

To temporarily fix the problem...right click on the main TSL nodeand then KSE will ask you where you installed the game.

The folder you point to will be inspected by KSE. It will expect to find certain directories and files there. For details read the kse-readme.txt. If something in that file is unclear, quote the part and I'll try to explain it.

Or just re-install the game.
 thaar
02-13-2008, 2:27 PM
when I click on kotor or tsl folder while message is shown nothing happens and i don't get what node means is it a folder. And concerning the re-instalation... well thing is I haven't installed kotor from set up disc(becasue it was badly damaged) so i just copied kotor folder from my friend to dvd and pasted it on my copmuter so my guess is that kse dosn't
recognize kotor (all dough kotor is listed and error implies on tsl))
 tk102
02-13-2008, 2:59 PM
 thaar
02-13-2008, 3:16 PM
Thank you so much picture helped alot, at first i was right clicking only but i saw on pic that i need to mark it with left click first.(well guess I'm not computer genius hehe)
and now can you only tell me what is that bounty hunter class, how much is it different then the other classes and does it effect character development at all.
Also will it cause bugs if i make my character jedi from a begining of kotor or if i make him some tsl prestige class
 tk102
02-13-2008, 3:30 PM
The bounty hunter class was cut from the game. Expect the game to fail if you try to use it via KSE. In that regard, it's quite different than the other classes.

If you start as a pure single-class Jedi in KotOR, you will need to download the "KotOR 1 Fixed Cutscene Files for KSE" from starwarsknights.com or you will get stuck with a "CutStart" object in a bedroom.

I don't know about problems running as a prestige class in TSL.
 thaar
02-13-2008, 3:42 PM
The bounty hunter class was cut from the game. Expect the game to fail if you try to use it via KSE. In that regard, it's quite different than the other classes.

If you start as a pure single-class Jedi in KotOR, you will need to download the "KotOR 1 Fixed Cutscene Files for KSE" from starwarsknights.com or you will get stuck with a "CutStart" object in a bedroom.

I don't know about problems running as a prestige class in TSL.

how do I then play as a bounty hunter if i cant make myself one via kse
 Xalard
02-14-2008, 7:21 AM
you can't play bounty hunter as class. BH just have all stats same as soldier, cept for no icon and no name. I think that Obsidian wanted to make Mira a BH, but later abandoned that idea and just gived her scout. I thought about restoring BH, but there's no really point in it, as it will be just lightly modified scout.
So if you want to be a bounty hunter, try going scout ;p
 Drifter25
02-19-2008, 5:03 PM
Hi, I've been trying to use KSE on TSL and it says it has been saved correctly, but when I load the game nothing has been changed. Any idea why this is?
 Lordjedi
02-19-2008, 6:34 PM
Hi, I've been trying to use KSE on TSL and it says it has been saved correctly, but when I load the game nothing has been changed. Any idea why this is?
Did you press commit changes :rolleyes:
 Drifter25
02-19-2008, 7:10 PM
Did you press commit changes :rolleyes:

Yep sure did. It said it saved, but there's no change.
Page: 19 of 25