Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Movie Battles II demo

Page: 1 of 1
 RenegadeOfPhunk
02-02-2004, 8:58 AM
OK guys,

Movie Battles II is coming to Jedi
Knight Academy. The full version won't
be ready till the summer (at least) -
but we are currently working on a
fully playable MP demo which we
aim to have released by the end
of Febuary.

To give you a taster, here are
screenies from the MBII forums:

Pics (http://forums.jk2mods.com/viewtopic.php?p=1125#1125)

...I'm looking for beta testers to help
me get the demo bug-free and the
classes perfectly balanced.

The classes which we will have ready
for the demo are:

* Soldier (3 lives)

* Hero (Dodge, health regen, thermals)

* Mandalorian (Jetpack + rocket, Dual
pistols, flamethrower)

* Jedi / Sith (Lightsaber & force powers)

* Wookie (Bowcaster - modified from
base JKA, strong melee attacks, lots of health)

* Droideka (Very strong shields whilst
standing, massive firepower, rolling)

The demo will also feature maps
specially designed for MB gameplay.
The current map list for the demo:

* Cloud City - by [CLU]Nathan
* Jabba's Palace - by LivingDeadJedi

Both these maps will be Siege-based -
but specifically tailored for LMS
(Last Man Standing - no re-spawn)
gameplay.

Other features which will be included
for the demo:

* Buy system - allowing round-to-round
character progression - including buying
new weapons.
* 'Authentic' and 'Open' modes. Authentic
mode will limit gameplay in certain ways in
order to accurately re-create a particular
scene (sometimes directly from a movie,
sometimes on a non-movie senario).
Open will be - as the name implies -
more open...
* Modified saber system (most of the
difficult stuff coded by RazorAce)

This mod will be based off OJP code.
(Check my sig for details of the OJP)

If you are interested in helping me
beta-test, please write me an e-mail at renegadeofphunk@3dactionplanet.com.

Beta testing will start in the middle
of the month. (Feb) I will have 2 dedicated
servers avaliable - one in North America,
and the other in Europe. So when you
write to me, please tell me which location
you are living in (or nearest to...).

I will have about 14 slots open on
either server. In most cases, it is first
come, first served. (Unless there is a
good reason any paricular applicant
should be included over others...)

You are only on the beta testing
team IF I reply to you .via e-mail.
If I don't reply, then you can assume
there were no places left avaliable.

Thx,
Renegade
 El Sitherino
02-02-2004, 10:06 AM
Looks pretty badass. Hope you can get all the bug ironed out. :)
 Azymn
02-08-2004, 8:55 PM
How's the demo comin? You have some great gameplay concepts in there.
 DarkLord60
02-08-2004, 10:34 PM
Isnt that Duncan's destroyer droid?
 RenegadeOfPhunk
02-09-2004, 9:17 AM
Thx Azymn :)

..The demo's coming along nicely. Things are pretty much going according to plan - for the moment anyway...
We still expect to release the demo at the end of the month...

DarkLord,

Yep, that is Duncan's destroyer droid. I have added code to Siege which allows vehicles to be used as Siege classes - which allows players to essentially 'be' Droidkea's, as opposed to just riding them...
 ZH@o YuN
02-11-2004, 9:46 AM
Awesome!
 -=DarkZero=-
03-01-2004, 4:09 AM
Holy shiz, Nice droidaka
 RenegadeOfPhunk
05-05-2004, 6:37 AM
OK - the open beta of Movie Battles II is now in progress. Please visit our new site for more details:

www.moviebattles.com)

Also, check out an interview concerning the mod on www.thejediacademy.net)

Direct link to the article:
http://www.thejediacademy.net/articles_detail_page.php?f_id=9)
 Dilandau-Sama
05-05-2004, 9:29 PM
I load up Movie Battles II, but then when I try and join a server it says I don't have the file MBII.pk3, although I put that file in the right folder... :confused:
 Pnut_Man
05-05-2004, 11:51 PM
I must say, you guys have created one helluva mod...

I played a few good rounds of dueling with two friends and a couple random guys; had a blast. Dare I say this, but I prefer Movie Battle Sabers Combat to OJP Enhanced (Though I understand that when Razorrace makes the time, OJP Enhanced Saber combat will come up to par, if not equal MBII).

I'm very enthusaistic for weapon changes such as: devasting explosives, increased blast radius and knock back; faster and deadlier blaster bolts, more accurate as you walk or crouch; removal of secondary fire on several weapons; etc....

Keep up the awesome work!
 RenegadeOfPhunk
05-06-2004, 5:29 AM
Pnut_Master,

Thx man :) Although you must remember that the MBII Saber system uses Razor's code as a base (from OJP) - so really it's Razor's system too :)

Still working on cleaning up some bugs. Just to note for anybody who's planning to try it out, we've found a bug where the server can crash if more then 3 or so droideka's ar in game at the same time. So please dont' use the droideka class if you see a few people already using it...

I will be fixing this issue in the next patch.

Other than that, the rest of the issues are relatively minor. We just had a full server last night (20-odd people) and I must say it was great fun :) If you thought the duel server is good, you should try playing a few rounds on the main MB server ;)
 babywax
05-06-2004, 2:18 PM
Wow, really great mod. This is so much fun, even with 150 ping when I'm used to 50. Playing as a droideka is AWESOME. Except that you tend to crash due to people joining and not realizing there are already enough droidekas... I can't wait for the next patch, this mod rules, great work!
 razorace
05-06-2004, 4:12 PM
Originally posted by RenegadeOfPhunk
Thx man :) Although you must remember that the MBII Saber system uses Razor's code as a base (from OJP) - so really it's Razor's system too :)

So, which version of the OJP system did you use and how did you modify it?

Secondly, while I haven't tried the mod myself (damn dail up), I've been hearing some very positive things about the mod. Hopefully, once I get the TABBots to play siege properly, you can port in the code and I can actually play it. :)
 Dilandau-Sama
05-06-2004, 5:32 PM
Hello?
 RenegadeOfPhunk
05-06-2004, 6:57 PM
Sorry SithOfDoom! - I missed your post.

If you've installed correctly, your GameData folder should have a folder in it called MBII. In this folder should be MBII.pk3, MBAssets.pk3 and MBAssets2.pk3.

If your files are there, then you should be able to connect.

Make sure you extract the downloaded install file to you GameData directory.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
05-06-2004, 7:04 PM
So, which version of the OJP system did you use and how did you modify it?

I used a fairly early version - before all your dodge / evasion of hits stuff. The main features I make use of are directional blocking and the knockback from non-fatal hits.

My main changes are:

1. Forcing walk when holding the block button. This also alters your stance from a relaxed pose to a defensive stance.

2. Added BP points (Blocking Points). They show up as a meter. If you miss the main block and you still have BP's left, the hit only counts as graze (and triggers your knockback mechansm), but your BP's are drained.
Differnt stances have different amounts of BP's. They also take off differnt amounts of BP's. This is used to balance out the various stances.

3. You can perform what has become known as the M-Block. THis is holding left and right buttons and a direction. If you do this right at the point someone is attacking you, you can knock their saber out of their hand. Very tricky to pull off, and drains BP performing it, so when you go for it, it's a risk.
You can also hold yourself in an M-Block pose after-the-fact.

There's probably more stuff I've forgotten, but those are the basics.
 Dilandau-Sama
05-06-2004, 7:33 PM
Ok, but now I keep getting this error when I try to join a team.

Academy\GameData\base\cloudcity.pk3 (55 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\cloud(new).pk3 (72 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\atat_beta07.pk3 (17 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\asteroids.pk3 (45 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets3.pk3 (16 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets2.pk3 (62 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets1.pk3 (8320 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets0.pk3 (15346 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\armoredTaunTaun.pk3 (32 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\acklay_mst_09.pk3 (8 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData/base

----------------------
137169 files in pk3 files
recursive error after: MAX_CVARS
 razorace
05-06-2004, 7:36 PM
Sounds interesting. I'll have to try it out.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
05-06-2004, 7:37 PM
SithOfDoom!,

I'm sorry if you think this a silly question, but are you playing on a PC? It's just that I know Mac users can connect, but can't join the games.

Other than that, I'm not sure. I don't believe I've seen or heard of this particular error before. I'll look into it for you.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
05-06-2004, 7:47 PM
Hmm - just double-checked your console output again. Those .pk3's are for the asteroids mod? Whaetver they are, it's possible there may be some conflict between that mod and MB :/
 Dilandau-Sama
05-06-2004, 7:50 PM
Errr... some of them might be for asteroids, I dunno.
 Lei Hng Wei
05-06-2004, 7:50 PM
Hmmm, C:\Program Files\, unless he's running a PC emulation program Macs don't have C drives.

Curiouser and curiouser... :confused:
 Dilandau-Sama
05-06-2004, 7:52 PM
Should I empty out my base folder (except for all the files that came with the game)?
 RenegadeOfPhunk
05-06-2004, 8:04 PM
Hmmm, C:\Program Files\

Doh! just gave away my severe n00bish-ness with macs! heh :)

Should I empty out my base folder (except for all the files that came with the game)?

Yeah - I think it's got to be a conflicting file you have in there somewhere. That's the only advice I can give you I'm afraid.

*General disclaimer* while this is my advice, please dont' hold me responsible for any mods you can no longer play, or if you mess up your base game. This is an 'own risk' type deal.
 Dilandau-Sama
05-06-2004, 8:28 PM
Ok, I emptied my base, but I still get the same error. It's a little different though....

Academy\GameData\base\Stick_Man.pk3 (87 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\MYMUSIC.pk3 (1 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\mb_streets.pk3 (22 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\JK2assets.pk3 (1615 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\jabba2.pk3 (92 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\cloudcity.pk3 (55 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets3.pk3 (16 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets2.pk3 (62 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets1.pk3 (8320 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets0.pk3 (15346 files)
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData/base

----------------------
132769 files in pk3 files
 RenegadeOfPhunk
05-06-2004, 9:06 PM
Hmm - ok - well, my only remaining thought is that it's because we are running a pure server (nessesary since it's a beta and we need to do all we can to ensure maximum stability) and it's having problems with those remaining non-install .pk3's you have in your base folder. (Stick_Man.pk3 and MYMUSIC.pk3).

...although I'm not sure that

..is the error you should expect from that :/

I can only recommend removing those last two files. Otherwise you might need to wait for the alternate non-pure server I hope to be setting up over the next couple of days or so.
 Lei Hng Wei
05-06-2004, 9:48 PM
Doh! just gave away my severe n00bish-ness with macs! heh :)

Heh heh. :D

Just so you know, some code tweaking might be in order to make MBII Mac compatible. If I can't run OJP's coolness in their latest beta, I might experience the same with yours. :(
 Dilandau-Sama
05-06-2004, 9:51 PM
I removed the Stick_man and the MYMUSIC files but I STILL get the same error!
 razorace
05-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Lei Hng Wei
Heh heh. :D

Just so you know, some code tweaking might be in order to make MBII Mac compatible. If I can't run OJP's coolness in their latest beta, I might experience the same with yours. :(

Well, the problem is that I don't think any of us have the first clue on how to make code mods Mac compatible.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
05-07-2004, 5:07 AM
Lei Hng Wei,

One of the guys with a Mac who has been trying to run Movei Battles - Cortosise - has written directly to the guys who made the Mac port for JA to see if they could help...

...their reply:

'We dont' support mods' :/

I think they'd need to provide us with some info if we were to try and get mods running on Macs - since they ported it...

SithOfDoom!,

Sorry man. It's hard to see why you shouldn't be able to connect now. I dont' know of anybody else with your particular problems. You might want to try posting on our Movie Battles forums to see if anybody else has had something like this.
..otherwise - your gonna have to wait for the non-pure server and try again. I'm gonna try and get it set up tonight...
 Dacks
05-07-2004, 5:14 PM
The max_cvars error is casued by having too many scripted binds.
Simply deleting your jampconfig.cfg in your GameData/MBII should resolve this.
 Dilandau-Sama
05-07-2004, 6:01 PM
I deleted the jampconfig.cfg file in the MBII folder, but I still get the error! :confused: :eek: :mad:
 Mex
05-08-2004, 12:00 PM
Maybe try deleting the base jampconfig.cfg file might help.
 Pnut_Man
05-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Been playing on both of the MBII servers lately, and I have to say the mod is insanely addicting.

Renegade, I already asked about a FFA mode, but is there any further news on what'll happen about that..or when it will happen ;)?

Thing is, if a FFA mode is released in either an update or an entirely new mod, i'd probably be able to persuade my clan to use MBII on the clan server (and that would be awesome.)
 RenegadeOfPhunk
05-08-2004, 1:09 PM
The plan is that a seperate mod is going to be created under the supervision of [JEDI]Adam at www.jkmods.com).

He is going to use MB code - take the cool bits from MBII and move them into a more base jka-like game. So if you have any specific requests for that sub-game, I suggest you get hold of [JEDI]Adam - visiting the forums on his site is probably the easiest way.

As far as what it will be called, or when that will happen, I donno. it's not just a case of deciding to do it. There is more coding work involved in supporting FFA / TFFA modes.

But the main mod - Movie Battles II, will not be supporting an FFA mode. And there are a number of reasons why:

1. The fundemetnal principle of this game is LMS (last Man Standing) -and FFA doesn't really work that well with LMS gameplay. I mean, it 'kind of' works, but tbh I'm not interested in making a game mode which only 'kind-of' works...

2. Standardisation. I'm perhaps one of the only mod makers for JA which believes in keeping options and variations of gameplay to an absolute minumim. I know a lot of people disagree - but usually the people who disagree don't even realise the disadvantages to too many optiions / gametypes.
I'm not gonna go too far into my reasoning on this stance right now - it's a long discussion. I'm only gonna site one example for now. When you join a CS server, do you ever have to second-guess what kind of gametype your going to be playing when you join?

3. The extra coding work involved - while not overwhealming - will detract from all the other work we need to do.

Hopefully this answers why I'm going in this direction.
I'm not making this mod to be an enhancement of base JKA gameplay. I am essentially -in essense - trying to make a whole new game. (i.e. HL -> CS) And in doing this, I'm not nessesarily going to be supporting any base jka-specific gameplay types...
 babywax
05-08-2004, 3:38 PM
A couple of requests, feel free to turn me down coldly :)
Droidekas for Rebels. I know, but it seems unbalanced, droideka vs wookiee. Maybe make up that they rebuilt droidekas after killing them, and painted them white for hoth (so you can tell them from enemy droidekas).
Siege gameplay, exactly like MB mode, except you respawn after like 10 seconds.

That's it I guess :)
 Pnut_Man
05-08-2004, 5:04 PM
Thanks for the immediate response, Renegade.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the concept and formula for MBII is kick-ass, probably one of the best mods ever made for Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy.

Just in the case of clan affairs, I need to hunt down a FFA version of this mod, otherwise we're screwed with JA plus.
 Pahricida
05-09-2004, 9:33 PM
alright ... now that I've tested the Beta for a while I'm able to give some feedback:

Basically I love the Idea!

The Maps:
Things I did not like about the Beta were most of the levels.

I loved "Jabba2"... really a map up to LDJ's standards no doubt and that Rancor Goodie ... excellent.
Tantive Trouble wasn't bad either.
But "Coruscant Streets" and "Delivery at Bespin" are horrible ... I don't mean to insult the creators of these maps but I simply don't like them.
The architecture is acceptable but way too simple. The texturing of Bespin is awful: Way too simple and in the outside areas textures don't fit to each other.
If those maps are in a very early stage I hope they'll get better :D

The Classes
Alright first off I don't know why you included the Droideka and the Clonetrooper in the Beta... I guess it's just for balance tests.
If you keep them in the final - please use them in maps that take place in their timeline.
I suggest you make classes more individual.
Like a Heavy Assault Class for Imperials: The Model should be a Stormtrooper with Pauldron and a heavy assault rifle ... but he should walk slower than regular stormies.
I also suggest to include some kind of XP system for classes. Like someone can turn Jedi/Hero when he reached a certain amount of Points.
And here comes my last suggestion for this category:
Put a limit on the Classes! I don't think that there should be more than 3 Jedis in a team of 6 Persons. According to the amount of players on the server you could setup an altering limit.

The Weapons
Fine so far ... maybe thermals are a little overpowered but that's just my opinion.

The Skills
Only thing I suggest here is including special Skills that can be achieved by performing certain actions. For instance you kill someone with a headshot and gain a Special skillpoint that can be invested in the Special skills or similar...
Oh and don't be so harsh on TK's ... most happen by accident anyway. So when someone walks into my line of fire I don't want to be punished. :/

Well that's all I can think of right now ... most of my ideas are junk anyway. :D
Sorry again for my simple english.
 wedge2211
05-10-2004, 1:55 AM
Funny you should mention class limitations...this is something I think most class-based games need but lack. The reason I deleted Wolf:ET off my HD is because everyone wanted to be medics and XP-whore all the games, or they wanted to be covert ops because that sounds cool.

I suggest that you start everyone off in the same class, and as their scor increases, open up new classes to them. Perhaps have a branching system.
 RenegadeOfPhunk
05-10-2004, 7:15 AM
But "Coruscant Streets" and "Delivery at Bespin" are horrible ... I don't mean to insult the creators of these maps but I simply don't like them.

Well, you certainly have the right to that opinion.
I myself would not describe them (certainly Delivery at Bespin) as 'horrible' -although I understand where you are coming from - they could certainly use a bit more work.

Once we are out of beta, we will be giving out instructions on how to make MBII maps - so if you think you can do better, you are welcome to try :)

And one more thing - Sith-J-Cull and Dacks are currently working together on a new set of maps - so soon you'll have more variety to choose from.

Alright first off I don't know why you included the Droideka and the Clonetrooper in the Beta... I guess it's just for balance tests.
If you keep them in the final - please use them in maps that take place in their timeline.
I suggest you make classes more individual.

What you have been playing so far is known as 'open' mode. Unforunatly, it's the only mode we currently have implemented at the moment. But this mode will still be avalaible in later versions -I think especially on public servers, people would rather be able to choose their favourite class, rather than be told you can't because it doesn't quite fit into the time-period of the particular scene.

The plan from the start has always been to eventually include 'authentic' modes to the game.
This will work in two levels.

One level will be to restrict the models and classes avaliable so that they match the setting of the map - as you are requesting.

There will also be an extra level of authentic mode where not only are very specific classes and models avaliable, but specific numbers too.
For example - on Bespin, only one player can be Leia, only one player can be Chewwie, only one player can be Lando and the rest have to be Bespin guards. On the Imperials side, only one player can be Vader, one player can be Boba Fett, and the rest have to be Stormtroopers etc.etc.

This last mode is very restricting, so I dont' see it being very popular on public servers. But for clans - perhaps fighting another clan or perhaps just internally - who want to accurately recreate a movie scene in an organised, standard way, it's going to be great :)

Expect these game modes to be avalible in the full released game.

Put a limit on the Classes! I don't think that there should be more than 3 Jedis in a team of 6 Persons. According to the amount of players on the server you could setup an altering limit.

Nope - I don't agree with this. The intention is for all classes to balance out, no matter what the numbers involved. And for the most part, I'm very pleased with the balance, and I think we've achieved this objective well.
The main problem I currently see with this - which is going to be sorted in the next build - is current thermal implementation as you have mentioned. Yes, they are a little over-powered. Once I have made my adjustments, you should see non-thermal classes balance out more against thermal classes.

When it comes to gunners v jedi, a lot fo gunners simply haven't learned to play the game yet, and then complain cos they think jedi are too powerful.
Jedi are weak at long range, but powerful at close range. And yet what do I see gunners doing? Not only moving head first into Jedi's, but also RUNNING into Jedi's, which means they can get knocked on their back (and then moan about push whoring lol).

Before commenting more on classes, please learn to play the game first! You can't just play it like it's base jka and expect to live. You seriously need to re-think your tactics.

All I can say is that I've been watching games carefully, and I've seen PLENTY of Jedi's being blasted away. You just have to get your technique down - rather than blaming imbalance in the game itself.

I suggest that you start everyone off in the same class, and as their scor increases, open up new classes to them. Perhaps have a branching system.

Same as my answer above. There is no need for this because (as long as you know how to play your class properly) all classes balance out, no matter what the numbers.

Oh and don't be so harsh on TK's ... most happen by accident anyway. So when someone walks into my line of fire I don't want to be punished. :/

Heh - if FF is on, then of course you can't allow TK's to go unpunished. That would not be sensible!
Of course, it's not great when someone walks straight into your line of fire, but - well - there is nothing that can eb done about that.
...that's one of the complications of battle! It's down to your team working well together. If a particular player on your team is causing you particular, consistent problems, maybe you should make sure he's well out of the way before you start opening fire...
 Pahricida
05-10-2004, 9:27 AM
[...]All I can say is that I've been watching games carefully, and I've seen PLENTY of Jedi's being blasted away. [...]

Yeah I was just trying to advocate those who can't handle a blaster. :P
 Pnut_Man
05-10-2004, 10:38 AM
I do have to agree on the comments concerning Cloud City.

I think LDJ should just go back to the root Carbon Freeze 2 and work from there again--it was dissapointing not being able to explore my way to the weather vane ;)

(but still, bland textures are the key weakness here. IMO, the Carbon Chambers have some crap-ass textures now, and I--along with some friends--would definitely prefer if they went back to the ordinary CarbonFreeze 2 Textures.)

Also wondering, concerning the Cloud City map...

The Han Solo Carbonite thing is a vehicle, yeah, so--can we get rid of the swoop sounds :P?
Page: 1 of 1