Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Dark Trooper Phase 1 WIP

Page: 1 of 2
 CortoCG
06-05-2003, 12:03 PM
No more updates.
 Geoffrey S
06-05-2003, 1:22 PM
Nice. The model looks good, though I think the shield could be a bit larger. When you get to the textures be sure too give it a dirty, industrial look.
 Jeff 42
06-05-2003, 2:34 PM
It looks weird with those human hands.
 CortoCG
06-05-2003, 3:11 PM
No more updates.
 TheMadDoofer
06-05-2003, 3:44 PM
Um, I thought there was already a skinned version done.

Please tell me what's going on. (I've been absent from LF for about a month.)
 CortoCG
06-05-2003, 4:48 PM
No more updates.
 Katarn07
06-05-2003, 5:37 PM
You're original didn't look like the sprite anyways... But this is better than the old one. As for the head, gowith something scarier and not cool. I don't think that's the look the Empire would be going for... :p
 t3rr0r
06-05-2003, 6:42 PM
Originally posted by CortoMaltes
We've found new concept art about the dark troopers a while ago.
is that the newly added concept art (where it shows phase 1, 2, and 3) at starwars.com?
 Fracman
06-05-2003, 7:30 PM
You certainly mean this: http://starwars.com/databank/droid/darktroopers/eu.html)
and http://starwars.com/databank/droid/darktroopers/bts.html)

But no, it's not exactly what we're talking about...
See the concept design pictures from Justin Chin's personal page, http://www.monsterrocket.com/index_vis.htm)
 ImmolatedYoda
06-05-2003, 8:06 PM
uh.....i get:
El archivo que usted busca no se encuentra disponible. Si tiene alguna duda sobre este error, comuniquese con webmaster@farmmas.com

so the archive that im looking for was not found available and if i have some doubt about this error, i should communicate with the webmaster of farmmas.com....

thats great, but i was kinda looking to see the pictures....ive tried copying the address and whatnot, but it isnt working. any help?
 CortoCG
06-05-2003, 8:13 PM
No more updates.
 ImmolatedYoda
06-05-2003, 8:42 PM
thanks. :D
ah, the links have already been changed.

well...it looks good, definitely more humanoid. its also easy to tell that youre going for the concept look, instead of the game sprite. but...i must say that the DT look that i prefer is like the second picture that Frac posted, and how they look in the Essential Guide to Droids (which also has that second picture). they look more...robotic in those. but thats just my personal opinion, it looks good, cant wait to see more progress.
 Infinity Blade
06-05-2003, 9:26 PM
The look is fine by me... But I do have a thought a little on model construction.

If that's your model's actual wireframe, do the Hips, thighs, and feet really need that many polys?
 CortoCG
06-05-2003, 10:31 PM
No more updates.
 ImmolatedYoda
06-05-2003, 10:48 PM
in the end, i dont really care how it looks, as long as its evil and still has that scary slashing motion....which reminds me, no one has replied to my animation/AI thread...
 Infinity Blade
06-05-2003, 11:30 PM
Well, I just optimize it whenever the thought of how to alter it comes to mind... but that's me though. I don't tend to follow any order when I work. :D

But at least it works for me....
 CortoCG
06-06-2003, 5:30 AM
No more updates.
 chrustec
06-06-2003, 6:39 AM
Much better - only I still think you can get the poly count down further for that model - Like Tim said the hip area could be optimised abit better.
 Geoffrey S
06-06-2003, 12:11 PM
I'd have thought the chest would be a bit wider and powerful looking. But aside from that it looks just fine.
Be sure to only use it in dimly lit areas.
 CortoCG
06-06-2003, 1:19 PM
No more updates.
 Salv
06-06-2003, 1:53 PM
Mmm..nice, the new face kicks butt.
I would suggest shortening up the covering in the legs top and bottom so you can see the joins..if its possible. And those protuberances at the back that look like horns..they seem a little out of place..maybe something different, more robotic-like..
Thats it, to me it looks very good.
 Fracman
06-06-2003, 2:00 PM
Pretty cool!!!
Will you add some eyes (increasing a bit the polycount ;-) ?
 Infinity Blade
06-06-2003, 4:27 PM
Originally posted by chrustec
Much better - only I still think you can get the poly count down further for that model - Like Tim said the hip area could be optimised abit better.

Well, I don't think he really did much work on the areas I mentioned. The meshes shown seem pretty much identical, except the alterations on some spikes, a tiny bit on the thighs, and the larger changes like the hands, head, and shield.

I don't know if he plans to alter it further. He could cut still cut some out of the model, but it's not all that necessary. The most you could probably cut out before you noticed any real visual changes would be somewhere between 50-100 polys (estimated).
 CortoCG
06-06-2003, 5:46 PM
No more updates.
 Infinity Blade
06-06-2003, 5:57 PM
Well, whatever... it's your model.

I like the new head. Looks much better.
 HapSlash
06-06-2003, 6:57 PM
I like the way the new head is shaping up. It looks scores better than the other one. But, to be honest, I've never been fond of the idea of those little spines all over it's body,...

I would never say that cutting polys is worthless though. You should always try to optimize your models as much as you possibly can. There is no reason to have a model with a polycount higher than it needs to be.

But,... there's a fine balance between polycount and detail. You shouldn't have to sacrifice detail for polycount, but you need to make decisions on which polys are necessary to achieve the look you are going for, and which ones need to be cut. Looking at the model I can see several areas that could be greatly reduced without changing it's appearance.

Just because it's a boss,... doesn't mean you should slack off.
 ImmolatedYoda
06-06-2003, 8:05 PM
hm...is that a mouth/jaw i see in the works? if so...why? i havent looked at the concept sketches in awhile, but it doesnt seem to have much use for a mouth. that is, if the jaw doesnt move, then i dont mind.
 CortoCG
06-06-2003, 8:39 PM
No more updates.
 The Count
06-07-2003, 8:17 AM
Looks nice, great improvement over the original.
 Geoffrey S
06-07-2003, 11:36 AM
Looks great. But if the polycount can be reduced be sure to do so, please.
 Darth]-[azard
06-07-2003, 2:33 PM
Can't wait for Phase 2 man.
 neo262
06-07-2003, 9:36 PM
If you want to stick to the concept drawing, I have a list of things I would personally like you to do.

1. The shield definately needs to be larger.
2. Its eyes aren't circular in the drawing but rather nearly rectangular.
3. I don't remember any spikes on its back...
4. You could add the cords plugging into his knees and from his chest to arms.
5. If you look closely at the original dark trooper and the concept drawing from starwars.com, you can see that the top of his head is segmented into parts -- three seperate segments on each side with some diddlybopper in the middle according to the drawing.
6. The concept drawing has the stormtrooper-looking breathing tubes on the sides head.

I'm not criticizing your model, but I am here to point out things so you may perfect it. Otherwise, what is this thread for? I actually think your model is SCHWEET!!! Keep up the good work!
 David Aspmo
06-07-2003, 11:31 PM
If you want to stick to the concept drawing, I have a list of things I would personally like you to do.
The drawing you are referring to is not a concept drawing, and as far as I'm concerned, it's not even a very good drawing - certainly not accurate to what was in the game.

The concept art that is influencing this model is from Justin Chin, and it looks considerably different from that drawing - which was illustrated (I believe) for The Essential Guide to Driods. It's also notably different from the sprite in many respects.

The direction the model is going in - at least as far as I know (Incidentally, I'm a texture and skin artist on the MOD team de-lurking for the first time since the private forums have been knocked out for so long) - is to incorporate the basic skeletal-Terminator-like shape from the sprite with the detail (which we are unable to discern from the sprite as it's resolution is so low) coming from the concept art.

1. The shield definately needs to be larger.
It probably should be larger, but not the shape that it is in that drawing. The shape that Corto has it in is closer to how it is in the sprite.

2. Its eyes aren't circular in the drawing but rather nearly rectangular.
In the actual concept art, the "eyes" (the parts that glow, anyway) are round - with a kind of squared shape behind them. Personally, I prefer them round - they seem spookier that way.

3. I don't remember any spikes on its back...
I hven't taken a good look at the rear view of the sprite, so I don't know if there are indeed supposed to be six "spikes" in the back, but there are definitely at least two protrusions coming out from the sholders. I expect these are meant to be struts for the jetpack that will be placed on him when he becomes a Phase II Dark Trooper.

4. You could add the cords plugging into his knees and from his chest to arms.
Again, according to the concept art and sprite, those don't actually belong there. They would also conflict with the basic look we are going for on the model. At least at the size they are in that drawing - I could probably conceive of a way to incorporate them if they were a good deal thinner.

5. If you look closely at the original dark trooper and the concept drawing from starwars.com, you can see that the top of his head is segmented into parts -- three seperate segments on each side with some diddlybopper in the middle according to the drawing.
That's debatable in the original sprite, and, again, I'm not wild about the design concocted for that drawing.

Personally, I think the head on the model looks excellent right now (especially since I have a pretty good idea of what the skin will look like).

6. The concept drawing has the stormtrooper-looking breathing tubes on the sides head.
Honestly, I don't understand why. It's supposed to be a mechanical replacement for a human, so I would think the head should be fairly human shaped (even skull shaped) with no extra accessories. I think the skin will actually invoke a more appropriate abount of the stormrooper-look.

Other general thoughts about the model:

I'd like to see some larger open areas on the coverings on the inner theighs - open areas that wrap around to the front so you can see more of the femur-like structure beneath.

I also think I like it better without the two bannana-like things on the shoulders - there's a lot of lovely detail on that collar area that gets covered up.

The rest of it looks terrific - almost exactly like I pictured it.

David Aspmo
 neo262
06-07-2003, 11:46 PM
I am sorry I did not know you were modeling by the sprite before I typed up that message. Well anyway, I have a good set of pics for the phase 1 dark trooper. Go to http://www.eyrie.org/~aerianne/dark.forces/phase1.gif).
Closely examine the head on each of the views, especially the side view, and you will see those segments on the head and that thicker segment in the middle.
 neo262
06-07-2003, 11:47 PM
Copy and paste that link without the period at the end! My bad.
 neo262
06-07-2003, 11:54 PM
Just noticed something else in that same picture! The shield is actually bigger like on the concept art picture, if you look from the side view, but it looks just like the model's by looking at the dark trooper straight forward! Neo strikes again!
 CortoCG
06-08-2003, 1:46 AM
No more updates.
 The_One
06-08-2003, 8:46 AM
Neo, please use the edit post button in future. Thanks :)
 neo262
06-08-2003, 10:55 PM
Sorry bout' that. I am still very new to posting.
 CortoCG
06-23-2003, 2:46 AM
No more updates.
 The Count
06-23-2003, 3:38 AM
The DT looks very, how may I put it; bad ass, it's alot more intimidating than the original, well done!:thumbsup:
 CortoCG
06-23-2003, 3:41 AM
No more updates.
 jp-30
06-23-2003, 5:18 AM
Holy crap!

That's AWESOME!

:eek:
 Geoffrey S
06-23-2003, 5:56 AM
Hell yeah, that's more like it. Way better looking than before. Textures still need quite a bit of work with regards to detail, but it's finally looking closer to a finished product than a WIP.
 ewok mercenary
06-23-2003, 7:47 AM
Whoa!! That looks awesome!!
 spsblue
06-23-2003, 9:11 AM
Awesome! And scary enough!:eek:

I had my doubts when I first read that you were going back to concept sketch rather than the sprite but you really pulled/ are pulling it off excellently!
 CortoCG
06-23-2003, 9:36 AM
No more updates.
 ImmolatedYoda
06-23-2003, 2:03 PM
holy sh!t corto! thats freakin awesome. :eek:
 Mullaney
06-23-2003, 3:10 PM
The new Dark Trooper is Boss to the Max.

All the positions its in are pretty funny.
 CortoCG
06-23-2003, 4:31 PM
No more updates.
Page: 1 of 2