Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP Episode I Obi-Wan by Tex360, Arco, NeoMarz1, and Myself

Page: 6 of 10
 Elessar-Eдrfalas
12-01-2002, 1:35 AM
Toonces you tha man buddy, from Kit Fisto to this, gotta love your skills buddy....great job! :cool:
 Toonces
12-01-2002, 3:31 PM
I think you guys are right, it's something to do with his chin. His lips have been repainted and look many times better now. I may bring his jawbone in and see if that makes him look more Obi-ish. More pics soon, I wanna get this right :)

edit: Alright, Arco touched up his skin, and I pushed the jawbone in a little bit and brought the chin up. I think it's much better but still not 100% there

http://drivingcatstudios.com/images/musttweakobi.jpg)
 Garik Loran
12-01-2002, 3:59 PM
MUCH BETTER!
For the skin I suggest take some pics of Obi from the Ep1 DVD and compare it to yours, so some details and special characteristics of Obi-Wan's face can clearly be worked out.

And @Toonces:
I know you are THE MAN for getting models ingame. So you must be very busy, but have you ever thought of writing a step-by-step tutorial of how to put a model into JK2?
I'm sure many people would like to learn it the "easy" way (if there is one).
 t3rr0r
12-01-2002, 4:27 PM
any chance arco could make his brow a little more defined... just to see how it would look?
 boinga1
12-01-2002, 5:10 PM
Looks better, but the hair is a bit too light, like Anakin's...needs to be darker. Also the belt needs to be thicker (vertically). Nonetheless, this is nice, :yobi: Obi is my fav star wars character.
 Professor Snape
12-01-2002, 5:20 PM
toonces is Obi wan wearing lipstick??? lol mayb u should fix the lips. Thats my two cents
 frendon
12-01-2002, 7:23 PM
it's looking better and i know a lot of you will disagree with me but i think the eyes are to small, he looks asian.
 Padawan_7
12-01-2002, 8:13 PM
List of things I see as needing improvement:

1.) I don't know if this is caused by the skin or the model (or both), but Obi’s check bones look way to low. Ewan's check bones fall right below and to the side of each of his eyes.

2.) Obi's skin looks too tanish/brown to me.

3.) Obi's skin on his neck looks like it is lacking detail (maybe mod view though).

4.) Obi's lips need to be thinner (especially the top lip).

5.) Obi's lips look too dark (almost like he has lipstick on).

6.) Obi's hair needs to be a little lighter.

Go take a look at the pictures of Ewan over in Jolts's thread. He has some pretty good reference pics over there.
 Arco
12-01-2002, 8:35 PM
hey guys. A little more teekage done-

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/genq3/obi-tweeks.jpg)

some reasons for the odd colours. Well one reason really. the game screws up colours bigtime so in order to get it looking ok ingame you have to apply some pretty funky colours. trust me I know what I am talking about.

Anyhew that is about the best likeness I can get. He is a young pasty faced boy with very little in the way of defining features... this makes it very hard to skin. Unlike for example mace windu... who is easy as he has lots of unique features. oh well... it will do. It has a little of myself in it... imagine that ewan McGregor was just playing obiwan and obiwan was a real person who looked a little like ewan... well this is that person. heh. Anyway like it or lump it's what you are getting... months I have been working on this and so it is FINISHED.

arco:deathii:
 Hekx
12-01-2002, 8:37 PM
Good work Arco :thumbsup:
Looks alright to me :)
 Eldritch
12-01-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Arco
Anyway like it or lump it's what you are getting... months I have been working on this and so it is FINISHED.

Arco,

I know you've been working on it for a long time, and I really like what you've done with it, but I can think of two small things that would be easy to change that I think would improve the look quite a bit.

1. Smooth the eyebrows a bit, because right now they look a bit bushy.
2. Add some small hairs at the hairline so that the skin fades into the hair a bit... this would avoid the "helmet" look that he's sort of got going on right now.

Just suggestions. Anyway, can't wait to play the new models!
 nomad
12-02-2002, 12:46 AM
Nice work Arco and Toonces.
The skin is much improved... I'm satisfied ;) Thanks for all the hard work Arco.

Toonces, I would say that maybe his jaw is a little too strong. Maybe shorten his chin, round it out a bit more. He's got kind of a baby face, more so than a "GI Joe Face". That may be the difference that is eluding you.

Nice to see such quality work... and at such a nice price :rolleyes:
Your efforts are much appreciated at this end!

-nomad

MTFBWY
 Toonces
12-02-2002, 11:50 AM
I'll see what I can do about the jawline. Thanks for the kind words nomad :) I gotta shoot you out an e-mail soon since we've kinda lost touch recently. I hope the band is going well, I gotta come up and see you guys sometime

Anyway, still tweaking the face, but I'm finishing up the rigging so we can release as soon as we're finished. I segmented the braid and ponytail last night so all you skin makers can remove either or both with a .skin file

More to come :)
 Hekx
12-02-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Toonces
I'm finishing up the rigging so we can release as soon as we're finished. I segmented the braid and ponytail last night so all you skin makers can remove either or both with a .skin fileWoo hoo!
Thanks Toonces :)

Padawan Learner Obi-wan to Jedi Obi-wan :D
 Toonces
12-02-2002, 1:25 PM
Increased the vertical size of his eyes just a tiny bit. Definatly an improvement :)

Still tweakin...
http://www.drivingcatstudios.com/images/messinwithobi.jpg)
 frendon
12-02-2002, 2:08 PM
That's what i was talking about, it is a great improvement Toonces, something that still looks odd is his neck, i think it is too long.
Question: What is going on there where the neck meets his clothes? We can see big pixels, it lacks of image quality.
 Daskers
12-02-2002, 2:26 PM
Little Tip. Increase the size of the pupils on the eye textures. If you look at a picture you will see what I mean.
 -s/<itzo-
12-02-2002, 2:26 PM
much better toonce.

i suggest you slim down his face and make his lips a bit smaller.
 Toonces
12-02-2002, 2:28 PM
The pupils will be done, I agree, they are a little too small now. I'll experement a little with sliming his face some more, but I think I'm pretty close now so I'm not going to do anything TOO drastic :)
 Arco
12-03-2002, 7:03 PM
hello... update. the textures are orange because the game takes so much saturation away with it's **** lighting. It is almost only able to do primary colours for fecks sake! anyway pics....

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/genq3/obiwan-fin.jpg)

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/genq3/obiwan-fin1.jpg)

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/genq3/obiwan-fin2.jpg)

Arco:deathii:

ps.. soon they will be released
 Eldritch
12-03-2002, 7:39 PM
Oooh... a little... uh... scary.

Can't judge how it really looks until it's in game though... what with the horrible lighting and all. ;)
 Arco
12-03-2002, 8:29 PM
 Padawan_7
12-03-2002, 8:42 PM
Looks good! :D
 Phaedrus
12-03-2002, 9:15 PM
Ok, well let's be truthful, no matter if you make the most precise replicate model ever, people are still going to think something's wrong, it's just human nature.

To Toonces:
1.) The neck needs to be just a teeny tiny bit thinner, Obi-wan's a padawan with a decent build, but his neck is still a little thin.

2.) Everything else is fine, but if you keep tweeking it, it will never be out and few people will notice his neck size ingame.

To Arco:

Once I saw it ingame, I knew it was spot on, though the hair still looks a little too dark, but who really cares? It looks great as is.
 boinga1
12-03-2002, 9:46 PM
Brilliant! Amazing work, all, truly terrific! :yobi: :)
 Mest
12-03-2002, 10:08 PM
where was that ingame screenshot taken? that didnt look like anyplace from the singleplayer because i dont remember kyle talking in a walkee-talkee thing.
 frendon
12-03-2002, 10:29 PM
wow it looks great in game!!! still the neck looks a little odd but no big deal.

Mest: that screenshot is after luke and desann fight, kyle gets into the ship and they talk using their "walkie talkies", kyle also uses it a lot of times to talk with jan during the game.
 ReIIiK
12-04-2002, 3:39 AM
The shot was taken right after Lukes battle with Desann, when Kyle is on the Doomgivers bridge.
 Taigan
12-04-2002, 4:20 PM
-rocks back an forth on his Emporer's chair-
It will be soon,the skin will come soon,No need to kill yourself Model................
Im freaking out.ahhhhhhhhh
!!!!!

ITS AMAZING
!
AHHHHHHH IM GOING TO! EAT SOME ICE CREAM! UNTILL IT COMES OUT AN ILL BE REAlly fat!
that has nothing to do with it but ok,model looks amazing in game!
And It must come soon right guys?you dont want me to kill myself now do you ;):fett: :deathstar
 Hekx
12-04-2002, 4:59 PM
Quick everyone say the model's look perfect and definetly needs no more tweaking.. then it might be released :D

I still keep checking this thread, and JK2 sites incase it's been released :p
 Toonces
12-04-2002, 5:03 PM
Absolutely, we are just a few days from release. I can't make any promises but this weekend is looking good :)
 Mest
12-04-2002, 5:04 PM
o yeah i remember now. its been a while since i have played single player.
 Pyro638
12-04-2002, 5:04 PM
Originally posted by Hиkx Nтxъ
Quick everyone say the model's look perfect and definetly needs no more tweaking.. then it might be released :D

I still keep checking this thread, and JK2 sites incase it's been released :p

Hehe i do too :p but there is really only one wrod to describe these freakin awsome models.......

:eek: WOW :eek:

Keep it up and when it is released may I use it for my mod......idk if I will but this is too great not to have it in :D :cool:
 Hekx
12-04-2002, 6:48 PM
Weekend eh?

I have to wait a few more days :(
Oh well, the model should be a good christmas present :D
 Hellfire Jedi
12-04-2002, 6:56 PM
That is devilishly long but me thinks i can live with it :) Im friggan HAPPY about those words from toonces.
 Hekx
12-04-2002, 10:39 PM
::Waits for the release of the models :D::
 Primrodo
12-05-2002, 12:21 AM
Belt Nitpick: should be thicker, like I mentioned in the Qui-Gon thread :) The capsules Should equal belt thickness. about 2" relitive to the model.

Obi-Wans Reproduced:

http://home.att.net/~mattmp/obiaotc1.jpg)
http://home.att.net/~mattmp/obiaotc2.jpg)
http://home.att.net/~mattmp/obiaotc3.jpg)

My only nitpick :) Awesome work!
 NeoMarz1
12-05-2002, 9:42 PM
Originally posted by Hиkx Nтxъ
::Waits for the release of the models :D::

Have patience young jedi, your eagerness betrays you. (Quotes Obi)

Build a model... and they will come. (field of dreams, Right?)

Hey it's just a few darn days, Alright already! (Quotes Mars) ;)
 Taigan
12-06-2002, 3:05 PM
It's almost out......almost....out..... :::::::DDDDDDDDDDDD:saberb: :saberr: :saberg: :duel: :slsaber: :lsduel:
 Taigan
12-07-2002, 4:34 PM
Well its the weekend its coming out right!?!?!!??!:sithm:
 Mest
12-07-2002, 4:51 PM
get some god damn patience. yes its the weekend, but it will also be the weekend until midnight on sunday. so wait until midnight on sunday and if it still isnt out THEN you can say something. but for now shut up.
 Enjoi9187
12-07-2002, 5:09 PM
couldnt have said it better myself mest :)
 Hellfire Jedi
12-07-2002, 5:12 PM
Taigen this is your fair warning.
I am sick of ur posts all u do is post ITS COMING OUT SOON RIGHT!?!?
I MIGHT DIE IF ITS NOT SOON!!!!
Any more i will report you to the mods.
I am sorry but this useless spamming ends here.

Hellfire
 SettingShadow
12-07-2002, 6:22 PM
Originally posted by Taigan
Well its the weekend its coming out right!?!?!!??!:sithm:

You do know Spam is one of the main reasons people gets banned, dont you? :rolleyes:
 SpYzEr
12-07-2002, 6:40 PM
Originally posted by Squater

You do know Spam is one of the main reasons people gets banned, dont you? :rolleyes:

Yes, and ESPECIALLY when you spam the same thing over and over :rolleyes:
 Enjoi9187
12-07-2002, 7:00 PM
yeah, if ur gonna spam, at least be original ;)
 Darth Vader III
12-08-2002, 3:17 AM
Off-topic: OK...

On-topic I guess: This model seems pretty good, can't wait to get it...

BTW (also a bit off-topic): If you guys don't have any projects going on maybe you could help Yadu/Matt Liell Arroblade out by making the Legolas model. Info from here http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83266)
 SettingShadow
12-08-2002, 3:58 AM
Be origanal eh?
YOU ALL ARE CLOSE MINDED ****S WHO LIKE TO WACK OFF DONKEYS AT THE SAME TIME GO TO JENNY CREG JUS TO GET THINNER AFRAID OF YOUR FATTNESS,AND YALL CLAIM TO BE SW FANS BUT YOU LIKE STAR TREK I MEAN **** RIGHT OFF,GO AHEAD TELL THE ****IN ADMIN MODS WHATEVER DONT YOU GET IT ITS WHAT I WANT BITCH!
SO PLEASURE ME EVEN MORE! :D
I love the hatred!

:rolleyes:

Just because your all failures in life
you want power so you go off an tell on people
Because you'll never have power in the real world
Now,Even if you all are fat losers who make girl friends out of cardboard,excluding the modelers,including marz
dosnt mean you have to pretend like you have a life,they only know you online but irl your all the same making up one big fat ass comunity,in whitch i have sympathy for,so Take care as I am banned from this site it will be one down 3 left to go,then after those 3 I'll be banned from 1000 fourm areas
-bows-Thank you thank you

You seem to be in need of a life more than us (I dont doubt you guys have one) so why dont you go get one instead.

Now on topic: The model looks perfect, I cant wait for it (but of course I will :p).
 NeoMarz1
12-08-2002, 3:59 AM
Just because your all failures in life
you want power so you go off an tell on people
Because you'll never have power in the real world
Now,Even if you all are fat losers who make girl friends out of cardboard,excluding the modelers,including marz
dosnt mean you have to pretend like you have a life,they only know you online but irl your all the same making up one big fat ass comunity,in whitch i have sympathy for,so Take care as I am banned from this site it will be one down 3 left to go,then after those 3 I'll be banned from 1000 fourm areas:D
-bows-Thank you thank you

Dear TailGay (or however you pronounce it)
Hmmmm... Dont think I'm a loser! I put my time out to give people something for free! There isnt too many things that are free in this world. I'm sure the modeling community appreciates my contributions. If you stand on a box and declare everyone a loser, then you must be the king of losers. Only a king can make declarations! At any rate... I'm not sure of your point, and I bet know one else does either. The only thing that I understood in your (poorly written) rant, is that you somehow think I'm a loser with a cardboard girlfriend. You sound like a kid... Only a child could whine like that. You have no idea "who" you are talking about! My work is "Known" work. I dont consider myself to be the greatest artist on the earth, but I have worked hard to be where I am now! My comic work has been published nation wide... Your work (whatever it might be) probably has'nt been seen since the last time you forgot to flush! Enjoy your "hate", and I'll enjoy my blessings.

Mars out...
 Hekx
12-08-2002, 10:27 AM
Well said Marz :)

:: Goes back to waiting for the Obi-wan model :: :D

How many skins are going to be included with this model?
There must be about 8 or more :eek:
I look foward to the model release.
Good work everyone ;)
Page: 6 of 10