Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP Episode I Obi-Wan by Tex360, Arco, NeoMarz1, and Myself

Page: 3 of 10
 t3rr0r
11-10-2002, 3:46 PM
Originally posted by JediLoaf
Where are they? You're loyal supporters are deperate!
maybe if you read the rest of the thread you'd know what's going on.
 JediLoaf
11-10-2002, 3:48 PM
i have read it, im just one of those people who loves these kinds of models...

btw i can't wait to make myself some SP character replacements...
 Arco
11-10-2002, 6:40 PM
it is gonna come with a sp player version... so you won't have to bother making one.

I have been watching TV so no updates from me... ahahaha

arco:deathii:
 frendon
11-10-2002, 6:43 PM
Shouldn't this thread be called "WIP Episode I Obi-Wan by Tex360, Arco, NeoMarz1 and Myself" ?
 NeoMarz1
11-10-2002, 9:15 PM
Originally posted by Toonces
I think there has been a little major confusion going on, Arco was origionally skining Obi, but he's been really bogged down so I wasn't sure if he had the time to finish Obi. I'll get this cleared up, I just think it was a major communication problem on my part. I'm starting to tick you off I think Mars, and really, that was not my intent, I really dig your skins, and wanted you to work on him as well. I'm planing on includeing both skins when I release him

Anyway, I'll get this sorted out

Hey, Thats cool. It just concerned me because I havent heard anything for awhile. I know he was slated for all of em, I should feel so lucky as to work on this one. I know your busy. No I'm not pissed, I just felt as though my work was no longer desired. That can tend to crush the creative spine. That's cool, just do what you feel. If you release both, then I guess me and Arco can feel good about that. Take care, Mars out!
 JediLoaf
11-11-2002, 2:34 AM
WIP Episode I Obi-Wan by Tex360, Arco, Me, Myself and Irene

:p
 Hekx
11-11-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by frendon
Shouldn't this thread be called "WIP Episode I Obi-Wan by Tex360, Arco, NeoMarz1 and Myself" ?

You can't change the forum topic name, maybe who ever posted the first post should write down the current team working on the finished model package ;)
 Toonces
11-11-2002, 1:13 PM
heh, Mars wasn't part of the project when I made this thread, but he is now, if I could change the title it I would, but it's all good, he'll be in the credits when it's released

Mars, I'm sorry I haven't kept you as up to date as I should have. It's been very crazy around here and I've let my e-mail back up bigtime. Anyway, I'm glad you both are working on him, your facial skin even without the geometric tweaks I have yet too make, has a dead on resembelence :) I'm honored to have you aboard Mars :)

Anyway, I'm gonna post a few pics, I still need to make some geometric tweaks so I definatly could use the crits
 Eets
11-11-2002, 1:16 PM
Title changed. ;)
 Toonces
11-11-2002, 1:24 PM
heh, Eets doing his admin thing, thanks :D

Anyway, a couple of shots, both faces, any crits are welcome, just gotta get the geometry right :)

http://drivingcatstudios.com/images/arcoobi1.jpg)
http://drivingcatstudios.com/images/marsobi1.jpg)
http://drivingcatstudios.com/images/arcoobi2.jpg)
http://drivingcatstudios.com/images/marsobi2.jpg)
 skywalker19
11-11-2002, 1:36 PM
looking great guys,although on mar's face,the nose looks a tad big,probably just me :p

keep up the good work,cant wait! :D
 Hellfire Jedi
11-11-2002, 1:39 PM
Wow,
There both awesome!!
I think u guys should throw both the skins in a back cuz there equally good i see nothing wrong with them seeing this makes me look up to the release some more ;)
 Phaedrus
11-11-2002, 2:13 PM
Yeah I really like Mars, but my only complaint is the nose.

Other than that, both are excellent. I especially like the cleanliness of Arco's.
 [JKZ]_Yun
11-11-2002, 2:28 PM
OH MY GOD :eek: look's Awesome skins :eek: i can't wait :yobi: :saberb: :freakout:
 frendon
11-11-2002, 2:50 PM
Originally posted by Eets
Title changed. ;)
Yaay i was heard!! :D
I love both skins, they look great, i really like the face in marz' skin but the hair looks better on Arco's.
 keo718
11-11-2002, 2:54 PM
Anyway, a couple of shots, both faces, any crits are welcome, just gotta get the geometry right

EDIT: Hey Toonces, if your still making geometric changes, you may want to move his eyebrows and eyes down while shortening the nose. Also, move the lips and bottom of nose up slightly.

http://www.geocities.com/eo718/owk-ig02.jpg)

** Copy & Paste **

EDIT: Its the shading around the nose that makes Mars' look big.
 JediLoaf
11-11-2002, 2:55 PM
hey Arco, constructive crit here, i think the lips look a little too realistic. I think they should be toned down to blend with the rest of the model...

hey, im not complaining... :bdroid1:
 Darth Vader III
11-11-2002, 3:18 PM
Very, very, good but... I think the nose is too long and wide and I don't know what about him but something makes him look like his from the military.
 JediLoaf
11-11-2002, 3:45 PM
the colour of the robes i suspect....
 Arco
11-11-2002, 5:24 PM
hohoho! ok I will change the lips they do indeed suck. I am still far from finished... he needs some more defined shadows on his face yet! heh toonces is tweeking mesh now... once he has done that an i get a new glm i will do more skin tweeks an then we are done.... but it will be a while as there is 3 models an we have to get them all sorted out an ready for release..... a total NIGHTMARE!

Arco:deathii:
 Toonces
11-11-2002, 5:35 PM
Yeah, I made some quick tweaks, brought the mouth and eyes down a little which changed the shape of the noze a little bit. I still think there is a bit more to do but I'll send the glm out to Arco and mars before I make anymore bigtime tweaks

Just a bit more time and we're gonna dump these three Jedi on everybody :D
 Psyk0Sith
11-11-2002, 5:59 PM
Sorry to be off topic but i need to contact neomarz.

so marz if you read this, please contact me, i need a skinner for Yarael Poof.

private message or mail:
psykopat@geocities.com

Thanx!

P.S.: awesome job so far. keep it up guys!
 NeoMarz1
11-11-2002, 8:51 PM
Originally posted by skywalker19
looking great guys,although on mar's face,the nose looks a tad big,probably just me :p

keep up the good work,cant wait! :D

Yeah I agree about the nose, I'll see what I can do. Mars out!
 NeoMarz1
11-11-2002, 11:30 PM
Great news!!! Just got Toonces last model tweak. It's turning out to be very close to a "Obi clone". You could almost just throw a flesh colored matt over the top, and still recognize it! Matter O Fact I basically pushed out some of my tones/shades, and let most of the model features sell themselves. My skin did need to be adjusted, this improved both the nose and jawline. Wish I had a screenshot to show, but there are more changes in store. Stay tuned, I'm sure Toonces will get something up. Mars out!

P.S. Toonces it seemed that the ears were no longer mapped, My skin didnt show that texture (probably cuz your still working it out!);)
 skywalker19
11-12-2002, 12:30 AM
nice marz,i friggin cant wait! would you say were gettin close to a release(i really hate askin,sorry).
 Toonces
11-12-2002, 6:08 PM
Updates all around :D Still tweaking. Any crits would be most helpful :)

http://drivingcatstudios.com/images/newobi1.jpg)
http://drivingcatstudios.com/images/Obi%20Comparison.jpg)
 Enjoi9187
11-12-2002, 6:17 PM
Nice, on the fist pic, his mole is a bit more to his eye, than to his cheek, also, if you look at the pics, he doesnt have an upper eyelid (at elast it doenst show), it is like, some fat from his eyebrow connects to his eye, otehr than those 2 it looks really good. Also, try to ive more definition on the line between his eyebrows as in the pics. Its hard to describe but see how it kinda rounds off at a difinite corner on his eyebrows? there is like an upside down T, im sure you know what i mean. Nice job altogether

On the bottom pic, his nose bridge is too narrow, maybe fatten it up and round out the tip.
 Arco
11-12-2002, 8:20 PM
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/genq3/obi-fin.jpg)

update. this is pretty much final now. a few more tweeks on the mesh toonces is doing and also a few more texture tweeks from me. yay!

mariners2001
11-12-2002, 8:26 PM
both look very nice.

for arco: the eyes are very, very blue. maybe a darker shade would look better? besides that, maybe some stubble and a bit more yellow in his face would give him the complete look...

for marz: the face is basically dead on. only thing i'd say is to make the hair look better, it doesn't look right at the moment. besides that, i think the eyebrows are too square and should be rounder.

looks great guys!
 t3rr0r
11-12-2002, 9:08 PM
the shading in the eyes gives the impression that he's looking downward instead of straight ahead... maybe if the shadow on the eyes was at the top it would change that... and like mariners said, the eyes could be darkened slightly. also, perhaps you could adjust his brow so it looks a little more frown-like. looks good, though.
 Toonces
11-12-2002, 9:09 PM
We came to the conclusion that his head was still a little TOO wide so I did a tiny bit of srinking. I think the geometry is just about right now :)

http://drivingcatstudios.com/images/newobi2.jpg)
 NeoMarz1
11-12-2002, 9:10 PM
Originally posted by mariners2001
both look very nice.

for marz: the face is basically dead on. only thing i'd say is to make the hair look better, it doesn't look right at the moment. besides that, i think the eyebrows are too square and should be rounder.

looks great guys!

I agree with you; However, I am finding it difficult to mess with the hair, and here is why... I have found that during game play, detailed hair tends to have a grainy salt and pepper appearance. I wanted Obi's spikey hair to show (because thats a predominating feature for the character). Since the model has a smooth surface for the hair (helmet like), it is very difficult to get that across. I know that it looks unfinished when viewed at great detail, but I'm between a rock and a hard place. Should I keep it as it is, so that it looks good in game, or detail the hell out of it, and have it come out as a "slicked back hair du".
Really, this is a question that I pose to you... what do you all think I should do?

Mars out.
 Padawan_7
11-12-2002, 9:20 PM
Originally posted by NeoMarz1

Really, this is a question that I pose to you... what do you all think I should do?

I say go for the better in game look.
After all, that's what we will really see.

Oh, yeah, Marz, one question. Why does your skin have Obi-Wan with pinkish clothing?
 mariners2001
11-12-2002, 9:28 PM
well, i see your point. it really isn't a huge problem to me the way it is now, but here's a suggestion: the wookiee model took advantage of shaders to make the hair look kind of scruffy and i think that effect (or something like it) would look nice on top of his hair. maybe toonces or someone can make the neccessary adjustments to the hair also...but like i said - it isn't a big deal on the hair. in the battle, it won't make a difference.
 Toonces
11-12-2002, 10:08 PM
That's a good idea marriner, but doing that at this point is not realilstic. I'd have to completely reconstruct his head and add a whole bunch of extra flat planes to his head. It would take weeks.

Mars, do whatever your comfortable with man, I'd go for making it look good in game (Which it does now I think) Whatever you do I don't think it matters since your face is spot on already :)

Padawan_7, I beleive Mars fixed the hues on his clothing since he last sent me textures, so any shots that I took are using the old textures
 NeoMarz1
11-12-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Padawan_7

I say go for the better in game look.
After all, that's what we will really see.

Oh, yeah, Marz, one question. Why does your skin have Obi-Wan with pinkish clothing?

I'm glad you asked this question... let me explain. All the screenshots that have been posted are shots from "Model View". Model View does not render light the same as in the game. If I made his Tunic true white, it would actually be so white that it would create a glare... Sooo, what you need to actually need to do is make it a medium grey; However, Obi's Tunic is actually a dirty (slight brown) white. In my earlier screens it was a little on the Peach side. I made this correction, but I may end up taking it to a grey, since no one seems to agree that it's in the hue that I'm using. It really comes down to which scene in the movie your looking at. In the beginning of the film Obi's Tunic is extremely clean (probably cuz he's on a diplomatic mission), Other scenes he looks more dirty. As a artist you know that there is no "True white" you will always see some color, because white is similar to silver. It reflects all the colors in the surounding environment (with white its very subtle). This is how crazy it can get when you study color theory! Too much color theory can be bad, since no one seems to care as much as an artist. Ooooops, I guess I got crazy on the explanation:rolleyes: Mars out!
 Toonces
11-12-2002, 11:55 PM
Your right of cource, there really isn't a "true white" Besides, as you pointed out, the Q3 engine renders lighter colors like crap. Arco did a extremely light beige on his textures which seems to look quite nice in game.

Oh, and a lesson in color theory every once in a while is always good ;)
 skywalker19
11-13-2002, 12:38 AM
wow guys,i really dont know what to say except this really is amazing! this has probably already been asked,but are there going to be multiple lod's?

cant wait guys.

p.s - toonces,how's the plo koon model coming along,havent heard anything on it for a while now.
 omeo7
11-13-2002, 2:19 AM
The hair texture is nice, but there needs to be some more detail and blending around around the hairline. Both models have "helmet hair"
 MysticSpade
11-13-2002, 2:22 AM
"helmet hair" cuz it looks more like a helmet. tru it is, but i think it's good and who's gonna stop in a fight and say your dude has hemet hair. also are their any in-game screens of Obi yet.
 Padawan_7
11-13-2002, 3:06 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Marz and Toonces.

Padawan_7
 Eldritch
11-13-2002, 9:00 AM
Originally posted by MysticSpade
who's gonna stop in a fight and say your dude has hemet hair.

I might, just because it'd be funny. But then again, it may not look funny in game, so I'll just have to see some in-game shots. :D :xp:
 [JKZ]_Yun
11-13-2002, 9:21 AM
nice Arco :thumbsup:
 Darth Odisse
11-13-2002, 2:33 PM
A little off topic but whatever happened to the Episode II Obi-Wan?
 JediLoaf
11-13-2002, 3:57 PM
to my knowledge, i believe it was being based on the qui gon model. You can see the post by going on the pimps and previews part of polycount forums..
 Toonces
11-13-2002, 4:00 PM
I'm not sure exactly Odisse, I know KMan is extremely busy. I'm sure he'll get around to it, if not, I'll finish him up

A little update, Arco changed a few things around, and made new boots (very sweet)
http://drivingcatstudios.com/images/newobi3.jpg)
 _NinjaGaiden_
11-13-2002, 4:05 PM
sweet Toonces .... sorry if this has been asked but...... in there going to be a sp version in the download? and a prospect release date? no rush and i dont want you to get annoyed but i cant wait to have obi wan tearing up the reborn and desann hehe
 Kururin
11-13-2002, 4:37 PM
It's so great having the Image code on now :)
 MysticSpade
11-13-2002, 4:48 PM
if i am correct in my assumption they are REAL near to completion. and someone posted the SP conversion will be included.
 Arco
11-13-2002, 5:31 PM
aha! ingame shot! nearly there now!

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/genq3/obi-ingame.jpg)

Page: 3 of 10