Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WIP Episode I Obi-Wan by Tex360, Arco, NeoMarz1, and Myself

Page: 2 of 10
 Deetox187
10-30-2002, 8:43 PM
Heh yeah i already had it worked out with Toonces that i was doing the sounds, i did them for Mace and Qui-Gon also. :)

As for setting up the pk3 in the final stages i doubt Toonces would need me for that but if so i'd be glad to do it.
 NeoMarz1
10-31-2002, 9:56 AM
Originally posted by Deetox187
Heh yeah i already had it worked out with Toonces that i was doing the sounds, i did them for Mace and Qui-Gon also. :)

As for setting up the pk3 in the final stages i doubt Toonces would need me for that but if so i'd be glad to do it.

Awesome Deetox! I was concerned about who was going to work these out! Mars out!
 Toonces
10-31-2002, 3:23 PM
Yeah, thanks Deetox, the new sounds are very sweet :D I haven't been able to pack up the new Obi sounds and test them out ingame yet, I'll do it today :)
 Deetox187
10-31-2002, 4:02 PM
Cool, hope they sound good with the model. :)
 NeoMarz1
11-02-2002, 1:47 PM
Well the skin is finished, I just sent it to Toonces. Here is what you will see.
1) Unrobed version
2) Robed
3) Sith Varient (With black robe)
4) Red/Blue team varient (Both represent Obi as a Imperial or Rebel force adept.)

I chose to drop the Anakin varient (since I may be working on an actual Anakin model). We should have some screenshots up soon.... stay posted. Mars out!
 _NinjaGaiden_
11-02-2002, 8:12 PM
so is it gonna be released soon now :) i cant wait! hehe sorry good work guys i sometimes get a little over excited
 Pnut_Man
11-02-2002, 8:32 PM
My god..this model is finally done..Thank you god

I CANT WAIT FOR THE ROBED VERSION

MARZ YOU KICK @SS
And thx to the excellent modellers who modelled the damn thing :p
 t3rr0r
11-02-2002, 10:02 PM
uh, as far as i know, arco isn't finished yet... so the model probable won't be released until then.
 -s/<itzo-
11-03-2002, 1:47 AM
marz glad to hear that. coming from you i know this obi model is going to be great.
 seks03
11-03-2002, 2:24 AM
are there going to be multiple tuants or just one? and Marz are you going to do a anakin of your own or take over tercero? great to hear that this model is almost out.... you guys work fast.
 NeoMarz1
11-03-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Pnut_Master
My god..this model is finally done..Thank you god

I CANT WAIT FOR THE ROBED VERSION

MARZ YOU KICK @SS
And thx to the excellent modellers who modelled the damn thing :p

Well I'd like to say that its done, but the model itself is getting a little rework. Have patience all, it will be soon. We want to try and release these together (I think thats the idea). I am a little ahead of the curve on Obi because...

1) I like to work fast! (very impatient)
2) No one's offering any change requests (yet)
3) I started the skin before I received the model.

example, I have started the skins for the Anakin model (which I havent recieved yet).
 NeoMarz1
11-03-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by seks03
are there going to be multiple tuants or just one? and Marz are you going to do a anakin of your own or take over tercero? great to hear that this model is almost out.... you guys work fast.

Im not sure if the "Tercero model" is the same as the one put forward by Deetox, but that's the one im working on. I still need to learn how to model:(
 Eldritch
11-03-2002, 1:20 PM
Originally posted by NeoMarz1

Im not sure if the "Tercero model" is the same as the one put forward by Deetox, but that's the one im working on. I still need to learn how to model:(

It's not. The one you're working on is basically a version of Obi-Wan by Jolts. Jolts pushed some verts around to try and make it look more like Anakin. It's good, but it's definitely not Tercero's.

And seks, for a guy with a website dedicated (among other things) to modeling updates, you sure are slow on the uptake. :D
 Toonces
11-03-2002, 6:13 PM
Sorry mars, I haven't been able to take any screenies for you, I'll take some tonight and post them. The skin looks really good, the only thing I question is the very slight pinkish hue on the clothing for the default Obi. I'll post it and you guys can see what I'm talking about.

On the release of the model, were going to wait until Arco finishes his skin, call me a sucker for hand painted faces :D
 Phaedrus
11-03-2002, 6:31 PM
I'm so happy, this is the one model I've wanted more than any, just above Darth Maul, if you could see the grin on my face.
 NeoMarz1
11-04-2002, 9:59 AM
Originally posted by Toonces
Sorry mars, I haven't been able to take any screenies for you, I'll take some tonight and post them. The skin looks really good, the only thing I question is the very slight pinkish hue on the clothing for the default Obi. I'll post it and you guys can see what I'm talking about.

On the release of the model, were going to wait until Arco finishes his skin, call me a sucker for hand painted faces :D

Yeah, I already made the change. should be in the new pk3 I sent. Mars out!
 NeoMarz1
11-04-2002, 8:22 PM
Originally posted by JEDI_Anakin_S

It's not. The one you're working on is basically a version of Obi-Wan by Jolts. Jolts pushed some verts around to try and make it look more like Anakin. It's good, but it's definitely not Tercero's.

And seks, for a guy with a website dedicated (among other things) to modeling updates, you sure are slow on the uptake. :D

Ooooops! My bad.... your right, it's Jolts's model. God I feel dum. My apologies to Joltz. It gets that way when your juggeling a dozen names. :D

Marz out!
 Toonces
11-07-2002, 12:16 PM
Nah, Arco has been really busy so he hasn't gotten his skin finished yet, should be finished soon though :)
 [JKZ]_Yun
11-07-2002, 1:02 PM
nice model Toonces
i can't wait:shads3:
 [JKZ]_Yun
11-07-2002, 1:33 PM
what program do you use Toonces i love this model :D
 Hekx
11-08-2002, 12:53 AM
Any newer pictures of the model?
I can't wait for this one.
I always played Jedi Power Battles as Obi-wan, because he rules in EP1.
Anyone know of the latest news on this model?
I know Toonces and the other guys are working on Qui-Gon, Mace Windu, and Plo Koon. :eek:
 keo718
11-09-2002, 2:02 PM
Alright fellas, here are some pictures of the Obi-Wan skin by Mars....

http://www.geocities.com/eo718/ObiIconspread.jpg)
http://www.geocities.com/eo718/ObiFinalx.jpg)
http://www.geocities.com/eo718/ObiProfilex.jpg)

** Copy & Paste **

EDIT: Hey Toonces, if your still making geometric changes, you may want to move his eyebrows and eyes down while shortening the nose. Also, move the lips and bottom of nose up slightly.

http://www.geocities.com/eo718/owk-ig02.jpg)

** Copy & Paste **
 Hellfire Jedi
11-09-2002, 2:06 PM
mm i like there nice
 Toonces
11-09-2002, 2:50 PM
I'm still making geometric changes, I'm just waiting on Arco before I do any more. Not to take anything away from Mars's skin, it's very good, but I just prefer painted faces rather than photosourced.

keo, quick question, did you take those pics?
 keo718
11-09-2002, 4:30 PM
Nah, those pics were sent to me by Mars. He doesn't have webspace to post them.
 JediLoaf
11-09-2002, 4:49 PM
this is looking great! do you mind if when its done, it can be included in our mod, Jedi Apprentice (http://ja.ravencommunity.net), as he would talk to the main character and give him pointers...

Good Job all!
 omeo7
11-09-2002, 5:37 PM
Great work. Although this is likely coming very late, I think that the nose needs some work, both on the modeling and skinning side.

I also think that the hairline needs some tweakng. The texture work needs to be a little softer at the very edges, as right now it has a little to much of a 'helmet' feel to it.

I think that with a few tweaks this could be one of the best JK2 models ever done.
 NeoMarz1
11-09-2002, 11:12 PM
I'm still making geometric changes, I'm just waiting on Arco before I do any more. Not to take anything away from Mars's skin, it's very good, but I just prefer painted faces rather than photosourced.

keo, quick question, did you take those pics?

Toonces I know you mean well, but... my skin is hand painted. It's true I start with a photo source, but it is only a checks and measure to keep it more accurate. I use "enlarged grain" tool in photo shop to maintain a photo appearance. I just wanted to say that, because I am an artist... and I dont want anyone to assume I am a cheater of some sort. I work fast... Photo sourcing is only a way for me to work quicker, eliminating hours of "tweak this and tweak that". In essence when you look at a photo as reference... your already photo sourcing. It takes a lot of time to find the right photo. This particular photo wasn't even from the movie! I actually had to change his eyebrows and skin tone to match that of the movie. If you don't use all the tools available to you then your only cheating yourself.

Here is a link to my published works portfolio (my other job is a freelance comics artist for Anarctic Press).
http://members.aol.com/NeoMarz1/box/page1.htm)
 Hekx
11-10-2002, 1:16 AM
Originally posted by keo718

** Copy & Paste **Very very very nice :thumbsup:
If only I could marry the model :(

P.S. Mars, love your ObiVM skin:), gonna make any updates to it or are you working more on a skin for the Obi model?
 Toonces
11-10-2002, 1:23 AM
I didn't mean to offend you, I was simply expressing my oppinion about photo sourced skins. I'm not knocking you as an artist, that was about as far from my intent as possible. I simply prefer from scratch, hand painted textures.

As photo sourced skins go yours is about as good as it gets, if anyone is intrested, crack open your assets0.pk3 file and check out the Luke skin, or Lando skin, they are photo sourced and not even half as good as yours are Mars

If you think I was insulting your ability as an artist I appolgise, but that's truely not what I intended to do. I don't even skin my own models because they wouldn't meet my own standards
 MysticSpade
11-10-2002, 2:48 AM
so Toonces what kinda tweaks are u doin B4 the final release. just wonderin to see what your minds-eye is comin up with.
 PalnGipanji
11-10-2002, 2:51 AM
Originally posted by keo718

** Copy & Paste **

EDIT: Hey Toonces, if your still making geometric changes, you may want to move his eyebrows and eyes down while shortening the nose. Also, move the lips and bottom of nose up slightly.

http://www.geocities.com/eo718/owk-ig02.jpg)

** Copy & Paste **

Sorry to bring this up on your WIP thread, Toonces, but...

Come on keo... Copy and Paste? It would take you all of 2 seconds to replace .jpg with .txt. Your screens are almost always helpful, but the effort just to look at them, especially when there is an alternative solution, is just ridiculous. Could you, and all other Geocities members please use .txt to make the link usable? Thanks for the consideration. Now back to your regularly-scheduled WIP.
 JediLoaf
11-10-2002, 5:16 AM
have you got any in game fighting screens? Like on the QuiGon Jinn thread on polycount, fight Darth Maul at the Naboo Reactor?
 frendon
11-10-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by PalnGipanji
Come on keo... Copy and Paste? It would take you all of 2 seconds to replace .jpg with .txt. Your screens are almost always helpful, but the effort just to look at them, especially when there is an alternative solution, is just ridiculous. Could you, and all other Geocities members please use .txt to make the link usable?

I think that if the extension is changed to txt it won't work either, Geocities just doesn't support remote link to pics, BTW great work Toonces and Marz!!! I agree that it still needs some more tweaking, but is looking really good so far.
I'm looking forward to see what you can do with the quigon model Marz, i loved your quigonvm skins for the jeditrainer model, i made just a little change to it that i thought made him look more like quigon.
http://bellsouthpwp.net/f/r/frendonb/quigonvm.jpg)
 NeoMarz1
11-10-2002, 10:30 AM
I didn't mean to offend you, I was simply expressing my oppinion about photo sourced skins. I'm not knocking you as an artist, that was about as far from my intent as possible. I simply prefer from scratch, hand painted textures.

As photo sourced skins go yours is about as good as it gets, if anyone is intrested, crack open your assets0.pk3 file and check out the Luke skin, or Lando skin, they are photo sourced and not even half as good as yours are Mars

If you think I was insulting your ability as an artist I appolgise, but that's truely not what I intended to do. I don't even skin my own models because they wouldn't meet my own standards

That's cool Toonces. I just get a little weird sometimes. I know you didnt mean it that way. I agree that Arco has done an incredible job. I truly understand what you mean... he has worked hard to get his Mace just right, and I can appreciate that. I just feel like "the guy in the background", and I'm trying to come to terms with that. It's hard being an artist, because you put it all out in front for all to see. You have to be able to accept that not everyone is going like it. I can handle most people criticizing my work, but it's harder when it comes from someone whom you respect.

Sincerely, "The Drama King"... Mars Marshall
 Arco
11-10-2002, 10:33 AM
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/genq3/ep1obi.jpg)

update. I am getting there not to worry... hope you guys like. There is probly more tweeks to be done... but the guy has such a "nonperson" face..... it sucks!

mars-photosourcing is cool..... but it can very easily detract from a model. You seem to know what you are doing tho.... I would say you need to get more texture into your skins... your cloth is often lacking a certain something. But yer faces on the other hand are always cool keep it up dude!

Arco:deathii:
 NeoMarz1
11-10-2002, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by frendon

I think that if the extension is changed to txt it won't work either, Geocities just doesn't support remote link to pics, BTW great work Toonces and Marz!!! I agree that it still needs some more tweaking, but is looking really good so far.
I'm looking forward to see what you can do with the quigon model Marz, i loved your quigonvm skins for the jeditrainer model, i made just a little change to it that i thought made him look more like quigon.
http://bellsouthpwp.net/f/r/frendonb/quigonvm.jpg)

Very cool! I considered making his hair like that myself. I did a similar thing with my "Adi Gallia" skin (with her tendrils). I got a lot of negative feedback, so decided not to do that on the Qui-Gon skin, but personally I think it works to some degree. Nice job, Mars out!;)
 NeoMarz1
11-10-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Hekx Noxu
Very very very nice :thumbsup:
If only I could marry the model :(

P.S. Mars, love your ObiVM skin:), gonna make any updates to it or are you working more on a skin for the Obi model?

well.... no I dont plan anymore updates on ObiVM (the old skin). This model is really going to work well, and if anything I will update newer versions on this model. Hey, thanks for the comment. It's nice to here that people still appreciate my older skins! Mars out!
 NeoMarz1
11-10-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Arco
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/genq3/ep1obi.jpg)

update. I am getting there not to worry... hope you guys like. There is probly more tweeks to be done... but the guy has such a "nonperson" face..... it sucks!

mars-photosourcing is cool..... but it can very easily detract from a model. You seem to know what you are doing tho.... I would say you need to get more texture into your skins... your cloth is often lacking a certain something. But yer faces on the other hand are always cool keep it up dude!

Yeah, I know what it's lacking...
1) I tend to make subtle folds in the cloth. They should be more bold, and more contrasty like yours.
2) I Spend less time on details (like stitching, pockets, etc..)
3) and I dont like to use "cloth texturing tools", which can help if used at the right contrast/sizing.

These are things that I have tried to correct with this skin/model.
 Arco
11-10-2002, 11:06 AM
hmmmm who uses "cloth texturing tools"? Well yeah I used to... but I got a great tip.... on a new layer fill in 50%grey then do a noise filter.... motion blur it straight down so you get a lot of straight lines... set it to sommat like overlay or softlight an then duplicate the layer and turn it by 90 degrees... you get a very nice clothy tweedy texture... puuuurfect for for a jedi an his course hard clothes. Anyhew do sommat like that dude... an bold is always good as in the game it makes it easier to identify with. Rock on!

anyhew! Onwards an upwards. I will update later tonite with a more final skin.... expect to be blown away... or not. but remember... you're my number one guy!

NeoMarz1
11-10-2002, 11:42 AM
That is a good tip. Very smart, I'll have to try it.

Hey... your doing Obi now:confused:

:eek: I guess I'm confused...

Mars out.
 Arco
11-10-2002, 11:47 AM
er i don't know why you are confused dude. I have always been doing obi... since the begining. I just got bogged down with other ****. But i am making some time to get my older projects finished off. Simple.

nucular_jedi_14
11-10-2002, 11:50 AM
he looks awsome!
 NeoMarz1
11-10-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Arco
er i don't know why you are confused dude. I have always been doing obi... since the begining. I just got bogged down with other ****. But i am making some time to get my older projects finished off. Simple.

O.k.
I knew you had, I guess no one is keeping me in the loop. No one has e-mailed me in a while. I'm glad to see your working on this one. He looks great! Talk to you later man.
 Toonces
11-10-2002, 12:03 PM
I think there has been a little major confusion going on, Arco was origionally skining Obi, but he's been really bogged down so I wasn't sure if he had the time to finish Obi. I'll get this cleared up, I just think it was a major communication problem on my part. I'm starting to tick you off I think Mars, and really, that was not my intent, I really dig your skins, and wanted you to work on him as well. I'm planing on includeing both skins when I release him

Anyway, I'll get this sorted out
 Toonces
11-10-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by NeoMarz1
I guess no one is keeping me in the loop. No one has e-mailed me in a while

This is my fault, it's suddenly gotten really busy around here, and I've let me e-mail backup quite a bit. It gets confusing working on so many models at once, I have nobody to blame but myself though
 Enjoi9187
11-10-2002, 12:11 PM
nice, 1 sugg. the braid. I dunno if that is skinned or modeled, but it should only be about a foot long. Also, if you could, try to make the face a bit more saturated, he looks kinda pale (that may just be the jpeg though or my brightness and contrast)
 Hekx
11-10-2002, 2:10 PM
Has anyone done any of the sounds for the Obi model yet?
I added some sounds to the Obi VM skin by Mars because I didn't like the Jedi sounds.
I have some sound files of Obi and Qui-Gon if any of you guys want them. The Qui-Gon ones sound better.
I may even try and tweak the sounds one day :)
If you want the files, just let me know. I think I have the updated ObiVM and Qui-Gon VM with sounds uploaded somewhere :confused:
 Padawan_7
11-10-2002, 3:37 PM
Originally posted by Hekx Noxu
Has anyone done any of the sounds for the Obi model yet?

Deetox has. He's doing the sounds.
 JediLoaf
11-10-2002, 3:43 PM
Wanted Models that takes years to release:

Mace Windu
Obi Wan Kenobi
QuiGon Jinn
(I'm sure theres more :))

Where are they? You're loyal supporters are deperate!
Page: 2 of 10