Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kotor Restoration Project: K1RP Official LF Thread!

Page: 1 of 5
 SithRevan
02-24-2007, 4:48 PM
Knights of the Old Republic I in my opinion is a really good game with lots of options and I think everyone will agree with me on that. Now what you might all not know, although I am sure most of you do, that KotOR I does have it's flaws and Cut Content which is why I am here today starting this thread.

First of all I want to officially say as Team Leader of K1RP "Team-Jawa" that we ARE officially announcing our mod which is a restoration of Knights of the Old Republic I. Further more I want to give you all somewhat of an idea what this modification will entail. The modification will consist of 4 main parts that will make one whole modification. What I mean is that this modification will be divided into four parts that we will be releasing to the public incrementally. The first part will consist of the first 3 areas/worlds “The Ebon Hawk, The Endar Spire, and Taris” along with all galaxy wide missions that may come along with those areas/worlds. The second part will consist of the second 3 areas/worlds “Dantooine, Kashyyyk, and Tatooine” along with all galaxy wide missions that may come along with those areas/worlds. The third part will consist of the third 3 areas/worlds “Manaan, Korriban, and The Leviathan” along with all galaxy wide missions that may come along with those areas/worlds. The fourth and final part will consist of the fourth 3 areas/worlds “Lehon (Rakata Prime or The Unknown World), The Star Forge, and Sleheyron” along with all galaxy wide missions that may come along with those areas/worlds.

Now the major accomplishments in the project are going to be Sleheyron and the Ancient Rakatan Temple on Tatooine along with the Sarlaac Maw Pit because they are not present in the PC version of the game that is why I am proud to announce all of the team members that will be making it possible to get the content we need and who are helping to modify it...

Edit: Please go to the main site, here (http://team-jawa.kotor2files.com), to find a list of the modders involved in this project.;) ~SR

So without further lecturing on this mod I want to say with all of your support we can make a top quality mod that I know everyone will enjoy and above all everybody will have fun with.

Also, just to let you all know we are still looking for modder in specific areas so if you think your modding work is good and can be an asset to our cause please feel free to PM me.

*IMPORTANT*: Please DO NOT ask when we will be finished with this mod as it puts way too much pressure on the team and myself. So like Team-Gizka said with their restoration mod “It will be done when it is done”.;)

Also, one more thing. We are looking for more people to join us like extra modelers, scripters, ect. So if you are interested just give me a PM and I will evaluate you and get you setup with everything you need to start work on this mod.

We also have a website and forum that you can visit at these locations...

http://Team-Jawa.Kotor2Files.com)

Forum:
[snip]

You can find it on the "Forums" page of the main site...:D
 Shem
02-24-2007, 7:34 PM
Oh, good, it's up! :D
 SykoRevan
02-24-2007, 7:59 PM
I've always hoped that someone would try to restore content such as Sleheyron and the Ancient Rakatan Temple on Tatooine, and while prior thoughts of restoring cut content in K1 were overshadowed by the efforts of Team Gizka and the TSLRP, I'm glad some people are taking an interest in adding to the original KotOR. Now there's 2 things I can't wait to see: TSLRP and now K1RP. I wish Team Jawa the best of luck.
 Q
02-24-2007, 8:19 PM
WOW!!! :drop2:

What a distinguished lineup of modders you have! Needles to say: I'm quite enthusiastic.:emodanc:
What I mean is that this modification will be divided into four parts that we will be releasing to the public incrementally.
This is an excellent idea.
*IMPORTANT*: Please DO NOT ask when we will be finished with this mod as it puts way too much pressure on the team and myself. So like Team-Gizka said with their restoration mod “It will be done when it is done”.
Don't worry: I won't.;)
The fourth and final part will consist of the fourth 3 areas/worlds “Lehon (Rakata Prime or The Unknown World), The Star Forge, and Sleheyron” along with all galaxy wide missions that may come along with those areas/worlds.
Do any modules for Sleheyron even exist?

This is an extremely ambitious project. If this announcement was made by a bunch of newbie modders, it wouldn't have gotten a second glance, but I know that you all are capable of it if anyone is. I wish you all the best of luck in this venture!:thumbsup:
 Dashus
02-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Being a programmer myself, if I see good code that looks useful, I will use it. However, I feel that in the interest of protecting the original creative work (http://www.team-gizka.org) of Razorfish, and subsequent additions by myself and killerbob, it must be pointed out that the "site designer" is, in fact, Razorfish, not yourself, and you would do well to at least recognize that, even if the code was not lifted from our site (which I suspect), the idea, and therefore the 'design', was. Just my two cents.
 SithRevan
02-24-2007, 10:56 PM
I've always hoped that someone would try to restore content such as Sleheyron and the Ancient Rakatan Temple on Tatooine, and while prior thoughts of restoring cut content in K1 were overshadowed by the efforts of Team Gizka and the TSLRP, I'm glad some people are taking an interest in adding to the original KotOR. Now there's 2 things I can't wait to see: TSLRP and now K1RP. I wish Team Jawa the best of luck.

Thanks SykoRevan that really boosts our moral!:D

Do any modules for Sleheyron even exist?

This is an extremely ambitious project. If this announcement was made by a bunch of newbie modders, it wouldn't have gotten a second glance, but I know that you all are capable of it if anyone is. I wish you all the best of luck in this venture!:thumbsup:

Actually none of the Sleheyron modules exist but we do think the lightmaps, walkmesh, and models do so we will be able to piece them together after we find out if they do or not.;)

Also, thanks for the words of encouragement towards my team and I. We all really appreciate it.:D

Being a programmer myself, if I see good code that looks useful, I will use it. However, I feel that in the interest of protecting the original creative work of Razorfish, and subsequent additions by myself and killerbob, it must be pointed out that the "site designer" is, in fact, Razorfish, not yourself, and you would do well to at least recognize that, even if the code was not lifted from our site (which I suspect), the idea, and therefore the 'design', was. Just my two cents.

Sorry Dashus I really did not think about it to tell you the truth. Your site just looks really awesome and I look up to you guys so I though I might try to give that same style a go for my own restoration project site. I have added under my name in the "Restoarion Party" page that Razorfish did in fact create the style for the site I just am using it. Thank you for bringing that to my attention though as I do not want to create waves over something that could have been avoided like that. So sorry and I will completely recognize Razorfish's contribution to the style anyway I can.

@Everybody: Thanks for all of the great support guys we are really looking forward to getting started on this project and this support really helps. So thank you everybody!;)
 Dashus
02-24-2007, 11:14 PM
We appreciate the change: just a suggestion for making the credits flow nicer:
Original Website Design
Razorfish
Modified By
SithRevan
(And Razorfish is a she) :)
 Anakin Skywalker
02-24-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm shocked... i really am... you've gone a while without a mod snipping the web site off... anyway... I don't ever remember telling you I am an area modder... I don't believe I even know how to mod area's in game... ahhh well... I can learn... XD
 SithRevan
02-25-2007, 12:18 AM
We appreciate the change: just a suggestion for making the credits flow nicer:
Original Website Design
Razorfish
Modified By
SithRevan
(And Razorfish is a she) :)

Thanks Dashus. I did make the changes you suggested and they look awesome. Thank you very much.:D

I'm shocked... i really am... you've gone a while without a mod snipping the web site off... anyway... I don't ever remember telling you I am an area modder... I don't believe I even know how to mod area's in game... ahhh well... I can learn... XD

Hmmmmm... I thought I had told you. Well I guess if you are willing to learn I will give you some pointers on how to do it. Sorry for not being more infromative.
 SykoRevan
02-25-2007, 12:43 AM
Actually none of the Sleheyron modules exist but we do think the lightmaps, walkmesh, and models do so we will be able to piece them together after we find out if they do or not.;)

If it's possible to create entire modules from just those things, I will be impressed no matter what the outcome. What kind of planet is Sleheyron anyway? I heard that it might be a volcanic planet and that it was hinted to be so by the computer puzzle in the Dantooine Ruins as one of the primary death-giving seed types. And I've never heard of the Rakatan Temple on Tatooine, despite a few rumors. Are there modules for that or no?
 SithRevan
02-25-2007, 12:55 AM
Sleheyron is a barren volcanic planet like it says in the Dantooine Puzzle. It kinda looks like Korriban in ways I bet actually.

Now the Rakatan Temple actually does have almost all of the stuff we need to that should not be to hard to do. But unfortunatly it does not have modules either so my team and I will have to make them!:D
 knightmare66
02-25-2007, 2:00 AM
Good luck with the Tatooine temple. Its walkmesh needs a good amount of work, not to mention the lightmaps and the geometry itself needs a bit of tweaking. But that should be possible now that walkmeshes are starting to be better understood.

Will your Xbox modders be looking for area models and pieces not in the PC version? For example, the library area of the Sith Academy that only shows up in TSL.
 SithRevan
02-25-2007, 2:22 AM
Thanks!

Yes they will be. I don't think the Sith Academy Library was ever in Kotor though. I think that was pretty exclusive to TSL. Anyway we are going to be looking for any anomalis looking things within the Xbox models bif so if it is in there we will find it rest assured.:D
 glovemaster
02-25-2007, 6:37 AM
How will you be restoring the cut content? will you be reskinning modules (like reskinning tatooine and calling it sleheyron) or are you going to try and actually restore the original modules that were cut out?

Scratch that^.. I just mustered up the effort to read the rest of the thread.. lol

Good Luck! :D
 Miltiades
02-25-2007, 6:53 AM
Very ambitious project, but with a team like that, I'm confident that this can and will work.

Oh yeah, maybe this (http://forums.team-gizka.org/viewtopic.php?t=2119) advice by Pavlos can help.
 Darth InSidious
02-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks!

Yes they will be. I don't think the Sith Academy Library was ever in Kotor though. I think that was pretty exclusive to TSL. Anyway we are going to be looking for any anomalis looking things within the Xbox models bif so if it is in there we will find it rest assured.:D
I think there are just a few dialogues...I'm not sure it was ever meant to be there in K1, TBH...
 knightmare66
02-25-2007, 10:41 AM
There was a pre-release screenshot of the Sith Academy where you could see back into the library area. This was before Uthar and Yuthura had unique models.

There was also a room on the south side of the windowed gallery area in the Sith base on Manaan.

Also, the fourth room in the hotel on Manaan has had its model removed, but the walkmesh is still there.
 SykoRevan
02-25-2007, 8:50 PM
There was a pre-release screenshot of the Sith Academy where you could see back into the library area. This was before Uthar and Yuthura had unique models.

There was also a room on the south side of the windowed gallery area in the Sith base on Manaan.

Also, the fourth room in the hotel on Manaan has had its model removed, but the walkmesh is still there.

Would there be any way to post screens of these things, or are there not any screens left?
 SithRevan
02-25-2007, 11:58 PM
Hey everybody I have noticed ever since I put this thread out that lots of people have been inquiring about "Area Designer" jobs which is difinitely good don't get me wrong but we REALLY are in need of a couple good scripters who know how to script and software. So if anybody is interested we could definitely use your help.

Thanks for the support everybody!:D
 knightmare66
02-26-2007, 8:54 PM
Will there also be bugfixes for the game in general? I've noticed some NPCs with the wrong soundsets (guards in Davik's estate and the Sith students who confront you after your test).
 SithRevan
02-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Will there also be bugfixes for the game in general? I've noticed some NPCs with the wrong soundsets (guards in Davik's estate and the Sith students who confront you after your test).
Yes general fixs like that will be made. What we actually hope to do is basically scan each world with a fine toothed comb and weed out any inpurities then proceed to fix them. That way we get the optimum effect from each module as we go along.;)
 Arбtoeldar
02-27-2007, 2:25 PM
Yes general fixs like that will be made. What we actually hope to do is basically scan each world with a fine toothed comb and weed out any inpurities then proceed to fix them. That way we get the optimum effect from each module as we go along.;)

Very cool mod idea. I hope you are able to fix the Juhani Sidequest bug. Good luck with everything. :cool:
 Lantzen
02-28-2007, 1:06 PM
This is one of the best thing i have heard in a long time, i remeber maybe a half year ago or so i made request to restore things that was cut, i posted numerous dialougs and so on but no one seem intressed to do anything at that time, but now you guys do it. Good luck to you all
 SilentScope001
02-28-2007, 1:15 PM
I don't think you can restore Shelyron and the Rakatan Temple, due to the lack of data, and the fact that you're going to have to invent new stuff. It might go down the drain of the Droid Planet? Maybe you should just spin that off to create a new team, if you have to...or, you know, just don't. Just restore everything else.

If you do insist, I could help come up with a story to help connect the different datas. I really think of having Shelyron JUST be another side-planet, like Yavin IV, where you just go in and do side-quests for Hutt lords. (I really would like to add some stuff to connect K1 and TSL, some True Sith info). I can't mod (I don't have the PC verison), but I have ideas.
 glovemaster
02-28-2007, 1:17 PM
Have faith. as SithRevan said we have the secrets from the public and the not-so-secrets for the public...
 Titanius Anglesmith
02-28-2007, 3:50 PM
This does look pretty cool, but I'm way more hyped about TSLRP simply because I like TSL much better and it has a bigger need for completion than KotOR I. I'll still be looking forward to it though. Good luck! :D
 SithRevan
03-01-2007, 9:51 PM
Well everybody I have been thinking about this for the past oh I'd say 2 to 3 days or so and I have finally made a decision. This project was originally going to be taking the content from the Xbox version of Kotor and using it to build the stuff that was taken out of it. We figured out that may be a little bit frowned upon by the Devs of this wonderful game. So right now I am making it perfectly clear the NO content from the Xbox version of Kotor will be extracted for use with this project. We are going to find other alternative ways to do what we want to do. It might be a little different but I promise you all that it will be just as much fun if not funner then the original idea that BioWare had for this game.;)
 knightmare66
03-01-2007, 10:16 PM
After looking at the Czerka depot again, I think it may be part of Tatooine, not Sleheyron.

First, its module naming, m21aa, is more consistent with Tatooine, as m19aa is the Rakatan temple, and m20aa is the Sand People enclave. The next highest module number, m22aa, is part of Kashyyyk. The left over models from Sleheyron are named m31aa, m31ab, and m31ad, putting its module naming between Manaan and Korriban (a likely range of m29-m32).

Second, the texturing visible on the outside doorway is more Tatooine-ish, not like the Sleheyron screenshots. The depot may have been where the player was to attack when leading the Sand People against Czerka.
 SithRevan
03-01-2007, 10:27 PM
After looking at the Czerka depot again, I think it may be part of Tatooine, not Sleheyron.

First, its module naming, m21aa, is more consistent with Tatooine, as m19aa is the Rakatan temple, and m20aa is the Sand People enclave. The next highest module number, m22aa, is part of Kashyyyk. The left over models from Sleheyron are named m31aa, m31ab, and m31ad, putting its module naming between Manaan and Korriban (a likely range of m29-m32).

Second, the texturing visible on the outside doorway is more Tatooine-ish, not like the Sleheyron screenshots. The depot may have been where the player was to attack when leading the Sand People against Czerka.
Hmmmmmm... Interesting theory knightmare66 we will have to check into it. If you are right then that is another thing we can put back into Tatooine.:D
 CA8802
03-01-2007, 10:51 PM
So you guys are going to have a way to get to that extra level of the Black Vulkar base, right? I was going to add it back myself, but if it's among the things your team is doing I'll just wait for yours. No sense in having it done twice.
 knightmare66
03-01-2007, 11:26 PM
The entrance to the depot would likely have been in Anchorhead, but I can't even find a false doorway there that's shaped anything like that entrance. This looks like it would require areamodel editing to restore.

While looking around Anchorhead, I did find something else. The spaceport-like building that's to the right of the Dune Sea gate has some actual working doors behind its two false doors (one regular Anchorhead door and one docking bay one). I found this out by using a door-opener armband I put together and trying it on all the doors that wouldn't open- I head a door opening behind the fake ones. Maybe disection of the areamodel will yield clues to a removed areamodel section.
 Darth InSidious
03-02-2007, 6:33 AM
^Actually, that exterior door model uses, IIRC, Sleheyron light textures, and the shape of the doorway does not fit with Anchorhead, but does with that of Sleheyron... ;)
 Arбtoeldar
03-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Well everybody I have been thinking about this for the past oh I'd say 2 to 3 days or so and I have finally made a decision. This project was originally going to be taking the content from the Xbox version of Kotor and using it to build the stuff that was taken out of it. We figured out that may be a little bit frowned upon by the Devs of this wonderful game. So right now I am making it perfectly clear the NO content from the Xbox version of Kotor will be extracted for use with this project. We are going to find other alternative ways to do what we want to do. It might be a little different but I promise you all that it will be just as much fun if not more fun then the original idea that BioWare had for this game.;)

Just out of curiosity but why are you excluding X-box content? If LucasArts and Obsidian had no problems with Team Gizka and Team Bantha using TSL X-box content. I highly doubt that BioWare would have problems with you KotOR content.
 SithRevan
03-02-2007, 1:20 PM
Just out of curiosity but why are you excluding X-box content? If LucasArts and Obsidian had no problems with Team Gizka and Team Bantha using TSL X-box content. I highly doubt that BioWare would have problems with you KotOR content.
You know to tell you the truth I am not sure what to do now. I heard from a couple people including filefront moderators that it would be illegal to do that. So that makes me very unsure. I don't want to gt into any type of trouble over this; all that I really want to do is make the mod and have you all enjoy it. That is it.
 LORD SPARTAN
03-02-2007, 1:58 PM
You know to tell you the truth I am not sure what to do now. I heard from a couple people including filefront moderators that it would be illegal to do that. So that makes me very unsure. I don't want to get into any type of trouble over this; all that I really want to do is make the mod and have you all enjoy it. That is it.

I don't want to discriminate anyone but I must say that I always find unfair that Xbox people had the same oportunity than PC people when comes to mods. Many great games corporation left aside the PC for game consoles and we end up missing cool games like the ones that are in petitions right now. So I can't say it sadden me to hear that. But since it's another debate I will restrain myself on this subject.

Plus I wouldn't like this embisious project to stop, it looks like something so great.
 Miltiades
03-02-2007, 6:04 PM
You know to tell you the truth I am not sure what to do now. I heard from a couple people including filefront moderators that it would be illegal to do that. So that makes me very unsure. I don't want to gt into any type of trouble over this; all that I really want to do is make the mod and have you all enjoy it. That is it.

Have you asked Team Gizka about this? If they use X-Box content, they may have looked into it already and know what's legal and what's not.
 Dashus
03-02-2007, 6:16 PM
Whether or not it's legal to modify the XBoX to get said content is another matter entirely. But we've not been informed we can't use the HK Factory, so we're assuming there's at least a tacit consent with regards to the use of the content.
 SithRevan
03-02-2007, 6:21 PM
Whether or not it's legal to modify the XBoX to get said content is another matter entirely. But we've not been informed we can't use the HK Factory, so we're assuming there's at least a tacit consent with regards to the use of the content.
Well then since everybody is pretty confident here that it is not illegal I am going to say this. We will use the content IF we have to but we are going to try not to. So I guess getting the REAL Sleheyron from Kotor is back on.:D Thanks for helping sway my decision guys.
 Arбtoeldar
03-03-2007, 7:41 AM

So far as I know, the only thing frowned upon is porting something from one game to another.
 DreadWizardDM
03-07-2007, 8:32 PM
Oh man!!! I just hopped on the boards today for the 1st time in a while. I am really excited about this restoration project!! You guys are awesome and I think this whole community is grateful for this project. I also want to say the same for the people at TSLRP .. cant wait to see the finished products !!!

GOOO TEAM JAWA!!!
GOOO TEAM GIZKA!!!
Hell yeah!
 rictus135
03-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Im pretty sure it is illegal from something Darth333 said a while back (she is a lawyer remember), and the problem isn't so much with the developers who would probably love to see the community finish off what they didn't get to, but with the publisher LucasArts. I think its on general principle, they don't want people using their products to make new games that they themselves may oneday want to publish. And while restoration isn't creating a new game as such, the principle still stands.

But little of that really matters, it all comes down to whether LucasArts chooses to turn a blind eye to it. So long as you don't try and make a profit it of it, I doubt they would bother shutting you down. But if you DO get contacted by lucasarts asking you to stop, you had better do it quick smart. I wouldn't want to p*ss off a huge corperation!
 Darkkender
03-09-2007, 1:32 AM
As long as there is no porting from one game such as from K1 to K2 or vica versa it's not illegal to do these restoration mods. Your TSL restoration project uses content from the Xbox version that got cleaned out of the PC version. Also the cut modules from TSL that were in the Xbox version but taken out of the PC version have been available for download at more than one site since shortly after the release of the PC version of TSL.

The points of legality that have been discussed by Darth333 has been about the overall legality of modding the Kotor games and on the topic of porting content from one game to the other. There has not been outright locking of threads by moderators or warnings that the topic cannot be discussed at the forums here when it comes to the topic of Xbox content vs PC content, this would lead me to beleive you are taking points that Darth333 has made out of context from a different topic unto itself.
 SithRevan
03-10-2007, 12:04 AM
Hey everybody, I just wanted to inform you all that we are soon going to be starting on this modification and that we do appreciate all of your support.

Also, we are still looking for people to fill these following jobs in the team...

*The jobs in bold are the ones we need people most in*

Scripters/Programmers
LipSync Editors
Area Specialists

We look forward to working with all of you.;)
 Darkkender
03-11-2007, 3:57 AM
I can fill in where I can as a Scripter SR.
 glovemaster
03-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Master Zionosis has restored the Iriaz to Dantooine, it can be found here until it has been added to the download page: http://team-jawa.kotor2files.com/storage/uploads/common/Iriaz_Dantooine_Modules_Fix_Final.rar)

Well done MZ!
 Maphisto86
06-17-2007, 1:45 PM
Master Zionosis has restored the Iriaz to Dantooine, it can be found here until it has been added to the download page: http://team-jawa.kotor2files.com/storage/uploads/common/Iriaz_Dantooine_Modules_Fix_Final.rar)

Well done MZ!

It seems to be down right now... would like to download that.

Well this is the first I heard of this. We all know of the Sith Lords Restoration Project but not one for KOTOR (I didn't think much was needed in the way of restoration). Though small things like the Iriaz creatures on Dantooine should have been in the final game as well as stuff like a proper Revan robes, Bandon armor and the like. I hope there is not much in the way of mod conflicts... but Im getting ahead of myself. While it will probably not be as large as the restoration project for TSL by Team Gizka, it will take time for your mod to be done. I'll be waiting! Good luck Team Jawa! :thmbup1:
 Master Zionosis
06-17-2007, 1:54 PM
It seems to be down right now... would like to download that.

SithRevan has since changed the folder name in which the files are hosted.

The new link for the Iriaz module fix is here: http://team-jawa.kotor2files.com/OPS/data/upimages/Iriaz_Dantooine_Modules_Fix_Final.rar)
 Allronix
06-17-2007, 9:07 PM
As I said on the boards, I have an Elassa datapad (also scripted as a computer entry), for my own use, I'll pass it along if you want it. Using Darth 333's warp band, I also added an entry to the Vulkar base computer to get you to the "hidden" level.

Adding the unfortunate fate of Belaya and some appropriate Juhani dialogue will not be hard. I may mod that on my own and pass it along.

I'm not sure how kosher they are to share, as I did cook them up for my own use.
 Zerimar Nyliram
06-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Oh, I was never aware of this project. Sounds like a great idea, though. Though, as a newcomer, I'd like to be able to read the past progress reports that you mentioned.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
06-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Unfortunately, that K1RP seems to have ground to a halt almost before it started. As far as I can tell from their forums, nothing is going on :(
Page: 1 of 5