Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Page: 31 of 38
 Joris1
09-30-2005, 9:26 AM
Kotor Tool hat eine lange Zeit gedauert zu bilden. Einige Teile waren schwierig und andere waren einfach aber langwierig. Ich habe auf ihm ungefдhr 810 Stunden lang gearbeitet. Ja arbeite ich als professionelle Software Engineer. Es tut mir leid, daЯ mein Deutsch jetzt so schlecht ist. Ich habe sehr viel vergessen. :)

Kotor Tool has taken a long time to build. Some parts have been difficult and others easier but tedious. I have worked on it for about 810 hours now. I am employed as a professional software engineer. I am sorry that my German is so poor. I have forgotten much. :)

Dein Deutsch ist groЯartig!! Ich bin beeindruckt! Ich bin verwundert, das du so eine schwierige Sprache kannst! Nicht viele Menschen lernen Deutsch, weil so schwer ist!
Das du als professioneller Software Engineer arbeitest, habe ich mir schon gedacht. Es wдre ein echtes Wunder wenn jemand, der nicht in der Softwareentwicklung ist so toll programmieren kann!

Translation:
Your German is great!
I wonder that you can speak this difficult language! Not many people learn German because it is so difficult.
I already thought that you work as a professional software engineer. It would be a really miracle if someone who is not in the software developing could so great programing like you!

I'm sure you will make from time to time greater work than you already do!

Joris
 Fred Tetra
09-30-2005, 2:58 PM
It's more than a casual project anymore, indeed! I'll keep developing it as long as people need new features or I find things that I can improve.

Also, thanks to the person (who requested anonymity - you know who you are) for the donation; it'll really help out and your kindness is appreciated.
 Fred Tetra
09-30-2005, 11:09 PM
A new version of Kotor Tool will be posted today.

If you're manually downloading, check that the version number is the one below.

v1.0.2099.38708 (2005-9-30 23:06)

Features/updates:

A new record - 21 new things in 2 weeks!

Added Min1HP field support to Creature editor
Kotor Tool can now remember complete state of treeview in addition to last opened node.
Added Module Properties editor to Module Editor
Module Editor window location and size now persisted
Module Editor now shows module entry point and orientation
Module Editor no longer repositions items when clicked without mouse movement
Encounters are now indicated correctly when selected from the treeview in the Module Editor (though still not editable)
Module Editor can now show/hide items by type (Creature, Sound, etc.)
Spawn Points for Encounters are now displayed (but not editable...yet)
Module Editor can now change between map sizes without a re-launch
Module elements treeview in Module Editor no longer closes when items are deleted or added
Module Editor can now produce text dumps of the GIT/ARE/IFO files for a module (though changes to files due to editing are not reflected yet)
Module Editor can now show labels for items
Improved Module Editor project opening speed
When an ERF resource item is selected in the main treeview, the Extract button now says "Extract file" instead of "Extract entire ERF file"
Camera angles (roll, pitch, and yaw) can now be set using degrees instead of having to do Quaternion calculations by hand
Module Properties editor can now be invoked by a right-click on the map image
Module Starting Point can now be set by a right-click on the map image
Cameras can now be added to modules by a right-click on the map image
Context menus on module treeview and map image no longer show "Edit GFF File" for cameras
Creature Editor now lets you set the faction via a drop-down menu instead of having to type a number in
 Darth333
10-01-2005, 12:53 AM
Awesone work Fred! I'll give it a try this weekend :) This new camera angles feature looks pretty cool. I've been working on a long cutscene with camera angles and it was a nightmare to get things right :headbump
 Fuu
10-01-2005, 12:55 AM
hooray! thank you!
 General Kenobi
10-01-2005, 1:12 AM
Great Additions here Fred :thumbsup:

You know your "small" modding program is very quickly turning into a full blown feature packed program which if kept going in the route it's going will soon rival most games INCLUDED Campaign Editors and the like. :D

The features you've added on from your list up there are great man just wonderful. :D

I do have one quick question though. Any plans to have the ability to have a "tool pallette" of sorts that would let you place "merchants" then be able to use pull downs or the like to choose what they look like (basic), what inventories they have be it health items, weapons, armor, etc. ? :D

I was also wondering if you've any slated ideas on a WYSIWYG type interface for a dialogue editor? Saying you place a merchant but you need to assign his dialogue; would you be able to utilize KOTORtool for that in the future as well?

Again super to see the program additions and I've slated tomorrow for myself to experiment with all of the new features and plans to begin a new location for Holowan downloaders based on some ideas I've had over the months. Can't wait to try out all of the KEWL things you've opened up for us to do. :D

:ben:
General Kenobi
 Fred Tetra
10-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Awesone work Fred! I'll give it a try this weekend :) This new camera angles feature looks pretty cool. I've been working on a long cutscene with camera angles and it was a nightmare to get things right :headbump

I've always hated having to calculate the quaternion for a given camera angle. Too much math to do even with a TI 86 calculator! :)

I do have to come up with some docs for how to set the angle, since the behavior can be different than some might expect. Most people will want to set just the pitch and yaw values, leaving roll alone. The values are in degrees, BTW. I forgot to put the label on the values :)

Camera's pitch values range from 0 degrees (pointing at the ground) to >90 degrees (above the horizon. Most times, with an overhead shot, you'll want values from 45-90 degrees. You [/i]can[/i] set it to <0 degrees which will flip the camra upside down. Not too useful, but it is funny looking.

The yaw value sets the rotation or "bearing" of the camera. You can set it from -180 to +180 degrees with 0 degrees pointing north.

Also, if you're modifying an existing camera, you'll get a little warning about needing to set the initial values. This is because it is rather difficult to translate from a quaternion to a set of Euler angles, so I don't do it. (Despite having logged >20 hours on the equations! heh heh) Just set them to what you want and there'll be no problems.

Hope that helps a bit!
 Fred Tetra
10-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Great Additions here Fred :thumbsup:

You know your "small" modding program is very quickly turning into a full blown feature packed program which if kept going in the route it's going will soon rival most games INCLUDED Campaign Editors and the like. :D

The features you've added on from your list up there are great man just wonderful. :D

It is getting pretty big for something that started out as a BIF extractor and 2da editor! :)

I do have one quick question though. Any plans to have the ability to have a "tool pallette" of sorts that would let you place "merchants" then be able to use pull downs or the like to choose what they look like (basic), what inventories they have be it health items, weapons, armor, etc. ? :D

Unfortunately, there aren't any templates for merchants in templates.bif to populate the auto-built palette in the module editor, so there are none to pick from. If you've created one with the merchant editor (UTM) by opening an existing one from another module, then saving it, you can put it in the userpallete folder within your module project folder and it will show up in the editor. You can then drag it out onto the map surface.

I was also wondering if you've any slated ideas on a WYSIWYG type interface for a dialogue editor? Saying you place a merchant but you need to assign his dialogue; would you be able to utilize KOTORtool for that in the future as well?

There already is one, but it doesn't work with the extra fields supported by KotOR II. I have found that I can create KotOR I dialogs and use them without trouble in KotOR II; I just can't use the advanced features. This will have to do until I update the dialog editor (if ever - I hate working on it! heh heh)

Again super to see the program additions and I've slated tomorrow for myself to experiment with all of the new features and plans to begin a new location for Holowan downloaders based on some ideas I've had over the months. Can't wait to try out all of the KEWL things you've opened up for us to do. :D

General Kenobi

Good luck!
 Jeff
10-01-2005, 1:26 PM
Wow, you've been busy Fred! Lots of new features for KT :) I can't wait to check this out :thumbsup:
 Darth InSidious
10-01-2005, 4:26 PM
WOO-HOO! 1000 thank-yous, FT!
 Fred Tetra
10-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Hey, somebody rated this thread recently! The number of votes has been 12 for a looong time! It's up to a 4.54 rating :)
 TheOssusKeeper
10-01-2005, 11:25 PM
Hey, somebody rated this thread recently!

hehe, i am guilty of that... :D

@ Fred T. can i give you an idea for the 2da editor copy and paste (context menu) options? maybe put an option in there that allows you to 'paste after row' option...

when i try and paste a copied row at the end of the list, it places the newly copied row second from the last instead of at the very end... just a thought... :)
 Darth InSidious
10-02-2005, 5:11 PM
Uhh....I can't get the module properties editor to do stuff...All I get is one of those value errors, like when trying to open a K2 dlg....
 RedHawke
10-02-2005, 11:48 PM
Hey, somebody rated this thread recently! The number of votes has been 12 for a looong time! It's up to a 4.54 rating :)
I know I just did, I would have before but the old system wouldn't work for me! Anyway awesome work Fred! :D
 Fred Tetra
10-03-2005, 9:52 AM
If you've edited the .git, .are and/or .ifo files manually and put a number out of range, the MP editor will have trouble. If you email me the three files, as well as a dump of the error message, I'll take a look at it. Address is in the readme file.

[EDIT] I found a bug in the code that might be the cause of this error. If the .are file's Grass_Quadsize is 0, set it to 0.1-1.5 and see if the MP editor will open for you.
 Fred Tetra
10-03-2005, 5:55 PM
A new version of Kotor Tool will be posted today.

v1.0.2102.26188 (2005-10-3 17:45)

Features/updates:

Fixed bug in module properties editor that prevented it from opening when Grass_QuadSize was 0
Added support for 904MAL map

New 904MAL map should be available in a few days at sites listed in the readme.txt file.
 General Kenobi
10-03-2005, 8:44 PM
Sweet :thumbsup: Thanks for the heads up Fred :D And a new map support too :D

General Kenobi
 Fred Tetra
10-04-2005, 10:01 AM
A new version of Kotor Tool MapInfo.bfd will be posted today.

v1.2005.1004.1

Features/updates:

Added support for 502ONDmap - map models assembled by Gsccc
Added support for 904MAL map
 ChAiNz.2da
10-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Nice naming convention Fred... I can understand this one ;) :D hehehe...

New 904MAL map should be available in a few days at sites listed in the readme.txt file.
I'll be sure to post it on my site when it's ready :D
 armando2371
10-04-2005, 11:13 AM
could you plz make it possible to mod the ebon hawk module?
 Darkkender
10-04-2005, 12:45 PM
There I think you should be closer to 5 stars now Fred.
 Fred Tetra
10-04-2005, 2:58 PM
Nice naming convention Fred... I can understand this one ;) :D hehehe...

I'll be sure to post it on my site when it's ready :D

You should have rec'd the files today.

Ther version number on the MapInfo file is manual, so I can control it, unlike the autogenerated one on Kotor Tool. )
 Fred Tetra
10-04-2005, 3:03 PM
could you plz make it possible to mod the ebon hawk module?

There are 5 different Ebon Hawk modules in K1 and 8 in K2; which one(s) do you mean?
 armando2371
10-05-2005, 10:28 AM
The one in which you normally talk to your party members and such....
I don't know which one that is... but i'll try to find out.

EDIT: I found out whch one it was, 003EBO.
 ChAiNz.2da
10-07-2005, 2:38 PM
You should have rec'd the files today.

Ther version number on the MapInfo file is manual, so I can control it, unlike the autogenerated one on Kotor Tool. )
Sorry for the delay Fred... RL work has entered "Holiday" mode and I've been up to my ears in promos... :rolleyes:

The new maps and mapinfo stuff are uploaded to both my site and SWK :D

New Maps:

map502ond - Onderon: Merchant Quarter -
map904mal - Malachor V: Trayus Core -

You can get them here (StarWarsKnights):
http://www.starwarsknights.com/maps.php)

or here (JumpStationZ, my site):
http://www.jumpstationz.com/KotorToolMaps/)
 Fred Tetra
10-07-2005, 7:51 PM
Sorry for the delay Fred... RL work has entered "Holiday" mode and I've been up to my ears in promos... :rolleyes:

The new maps and mapinfo stuff are uploaded to both my site and SWK :D

New Maps:

map502ond - Onderon: Merchant Quarter -
map904mal - Malachor V: Trayus Core -

You can get them here (StarWarsKnights):
http://www.starwarsknights.com/maps.php)

or here (JumpStationZ, my site):
http://www.jumpstationz.com/KotorToolMaps/)

Thanks, as always!
 Fred Tetra
10-11-2005, 12:40 AM
 RedHawke
10-11-2005, 1:27 AM
Very, very cool Fred! :thumbsup:

I have to update KT myself, as usual I noticed I'm a few releases behind! :lol:
 ChAiNz.2da
10-11-2005, 9:13 AM
Holy Hell Fred! KotOR Tool is going to be a mega-beast module maker :emodanc:
I didn't realize you were diving into the sound portion... sweet...

Looks outstanding! :D
 Darth InSidious
10-11-2005, 11:29 AM
^Seconded!
Great Stuff :D :D :D^42
 Darkkender
10-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Quick somebody call the paramedics I think I'm having a Heartattack this is so great Fred.
 Bob Lion54
10-11-2005, 2:01 PM
Holy cow, man! The best just got better!

hehe. Ok, thats a bit corny, but certainly true!
 Fred Tetra
10-11-2005, 3:00 PM
Holy Hell Fred! KotOR Tool is going to be a mega-beast module maker :emodanc:
I didn't realize you were diving into the sound portion... sweet...

Looks outstanding! :D

Well, I wanted to be able to support all of the UT* types that are found in a module to make the editor as complete as possible.

I still have to develop an Encounter editor (UTE), but that should be no worse a task.

Here's the list of feature changes coming in Kotor Tool (so far):

Door fields are now editiable in Module Editor
Fixed bug in module editor that cause Kotor Tool to crash when Properties menu was chosen for a trigger from palette
Module Editor no longer gives an error when closed before a module project was opened
Module Editor can now show item Tags as well as ResRefs in the palette and on the map surface
Trigger editor (UTT) now lets you set the faction via a drop-down menu instead of having to type a number in
Trigger editor now has a drop-down menu for Type (Generic/Transition/Trap)
Door editor (UTD) now lets you set the faction via a drop-down menu instead of having to type a number in
Sun and Fog range controls in Module Properties editor now more compatible with KotOR I
2DA Editor no longer crashes when "Show Strings for Refs" is done on column that contains -1's
Added Waypoint (UTW) Editor
Added Waypoint editing support to Module Editor
Added item position tweaking to Module Editor
Encounters can now be repositioned and reshaped in the Module Editor
Encounter properties can now be accessed by right-click on one of its nodes
Encounter Spawn Points can now be repositioned using the mouse
Encounter Spawn Points can now be added and deleted from the map surface
Module Entry point can now be repositioned using the mouse
Added Quick menu to Text Editor to make finding sections of .GIT GFF files easier
Fixed a text padding issue with the GFF file non-RTF text dump
Added Sound (UTS) editor
Added Sound editing support to Module editor

I want to add a full scripting editor too, complete with Intellisense-like function parameter completion, syntax highlighting and more, but the .NET control would take a loooong time to develop and the commercial version of the control that supports this costs about US$300.

(Take a look here: http://www.actiprosoftware.com/Products/DotNet/SyntaxEditor/Default.aspx) if you're interested.)

Maybe if the donations resume, I'll put the $$ towards this, since I think it'd be a great addition and would be cheaper that users having to obtain something like TextPad or UltraEdit.
 Darkkender
10-12-2005, 11:26 AM
I want to add a full scripting editor too, complete with Intellisense-like function parameter completion, syntax highlighting and more, but the .NET control would take a loooong time to develop and the commercial version of the control that supports this costs about US$300.

(Take a look here: http://www.actiprosoftware.com/Products/DotNet/SyntaxEditor/Default.aspx) if you're interested.)

Maybe if the donations resume, I'll put the $$ towards this, since I think it'd be a great addition and would be cheaper that users having to obtain something like TextPad or UltraEdit.

Something to this effect is what I've been slowly working on myself with the .NET framework Fred. If you want once I finish the Alpha I could send it your way for you to take a look at and see if you can integrate it. I'm writing it in C++ though so I might have to store it mostly in a dll. My biggest hangup is staying focused with everything going on around my place lately(Between 2 1/2 jobs and house building contractors :eek: )
 Det. Bart Lasiter
10-12-2005, 7:29 PM
I think I may have found a bug in KT. Recently, I had to re-install NWN Platinum, and now some *.2da files are showing up under TSL's 2da.bif tree. For instance some of the race files from NWN are in 2da.bif, for instance 'race_feat_elf.2da' is listed...

Having finally gotten my Euler angles to Quaternion function working, I can now produce various camera shots, some that are pretty strange.

I could send you an include file that I'm using for a game engine I'm working on that does that, although it's in C++, so there may be compatability issues... You might also try a cool program called 'Algebrus', it calculates quaternion rotations automatically for you, to and from Euler, it's saved me a ton of time from doing them :)
 Fred Tetra
10-12-2005, 11:12 PM
I think I may have found a bug in KT. Recently, I had to re-install NWN Platinum, and now some *.2da files are showing up under TSL's 2da.bif tree. For instance some of the race files from NWN are in 2da.bif, for instance 'race_feat_elf.2da' is listed...

That would be very strange, if it were really happening :)

What you're seeing are 2DA's that shouldn't have been included during the build of the BIFs when Obsidian put them together. If you look in the KotOR I files, you'll find various vestigial things there, too.
 SpaceAlex
10-12-2005, 11:39 PM
I have discovered a very strange bug that's kinda difficult to explain, so i'll just tell you what you should do to test it yourself:

- Open the n_darthtraya001.utc (904MAL) with KT and save it;
- start the game and use the warp cheat (or load savegame) to jump to 904MAL;
- defeat Darth Traya.

Here's where the bug happens. After you defeat Traya she dies, but that should't happen... what should happen is the cutscene, in which Traya spawns the three lightsabers. (Note that sometimes the cutscene will trigger, even if you save it with the new KT. That's why i suggest that you lower Traya's stats, so that you can defeat her in a few seconds.)

Now, i'm almost 100% sure there's something's wrong with the new UTC editor in KT, because when i save the file with the previus version of KT (or with GFF editor) the bug never happens.
 Fred Tetra
10-12-2005, 11:57 PM
I have discovered a very strange bug that's kinda difficult to explain, so i'll just tell you what you should do to test it yourself:

- Open the n_darthtraya001.utc (904MAL) with KT and save it;
- start the game and use the warp cheat (or load savegame) to jump to 904MAL;
- defeat Darth Traya.

Here's where the bug happens. After you defeat Traya she dies, but that should't happen... what should happen is the cutscene, in which Traya spawns the three lightsabers. (Note that sometimes the cutscene will trigger, even if you save it with the new KT. That's why i suggest that you lower Traya's stats, so that you can defeat her in a few seconds.)

Now, i'm almost 100% sure there's something's wrong with the new UTC editor in KT, because when i save the file with the previus version of KT (or with GFF editor) the bug never happens.

The reason this happens is that there was a bug in the reading of the value for the Min1HP field. It has been fixed for the next release of Kotor Tool.

If you reset the Min1HP field to '1', you can't kill her.
 SpaceAlex
10-13-2005, 12:52 AM
Yup, i suspected as much. I wondered why i couldn't mark that field. ;)
 Det. Bart Lasiter
10-13-2005, 3:37 AM
Should something like nwconfig.2da be there though? Because there aren't any other files in the K1 data :confused:
 Fred Tetra
10-13-2005, 10:20 AM
K2 has many more leftover files than K1. I suspect that is because the BioWare folks, having developed the game engine, knew what was safe to remove. The Obsidian team, either because they didn't know what was safe to remove, or more likely, given the quantity of unfinished material in the game (probably due to a unrealisticly time-framed project plan put together by non-programmers!) were simply too rushed to eliminate extra files that wouldn't hurt anything if left in.

Since I myself have had similar project schedules in the past, I can see how case #2 for Obsidian could be possible.

<soapbox>
While I know a lot of folks gripe about the missing or unfinished content, I don't think many of them actually know what it is like to be given a short time frame and a long list of features for a product espcially when you're not the original creator. It is quite tough to get up-to-speed with an unfamiliar development environment and become productive. I really feel for game programmers, (knowing a few as I do), as they have some pretty miserable conditions to work under.</soapbox>
 Darkkender
10-13-2005, 11:51 AM
<soapbox>
While I know a lot of folks gripe about the missing or unfinished content, I don't think many of them actually know what it is like to be given a short time frame and a long list of features for a product espcially when you're not the original creator. It is quite tough to get up-to-speed with an unfamiliar development environment and become productive. I really feel for game programmers, (knowing a few as I do), as they have some pretty miserable conditions to work under.</soapbox>

HHMMM *Begins to think own personal goal may not be worth it if the conditions are really that bad. ;)*
 Fred Tetra
10-13-2005, 4:51 PM
HHMMM *Begins to think own personal goal may not be worth it if the conditions are really that bad. ;)*

I have a long time friend who works for Electronic Arts; when I saw this article:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/274.html)

I thought of what I saw when I visited him at the office one night (yes, night, around 11:00 pm, with plenty of people working).

I don't know that it is any different at Obsidian Entertainment, but it isn't unheard of in the industry.
 General Kenobi
10-13-2005, 5:32 PM
Boy now that sure hits home for EA and gaming developers in general I'd bet. :rolleyes:

And we wonder why stuff got left in that wasn't used or things got left out???

90 hrs a week = Total exhaustion

Those dudes & dudettes I feel sorry for. I work in the computer industry as well but in a totally different aspect and I am free of that type of thing. Only because I do work as a Remote Designer in most cases. :D

That would be a crappy schedule to keep.

General Kenobi
 Det. Bart Lasiter
10-13-2005, 7:38 PM
I know some people who have been deterred from the gaming industry because of this as well, but most companies (the ones they're working for now anyways), aren't quite so bad, especially now that the thing with EA was in the media for a while.
 Fred Tetra
10-14-2005, 11:15 PM
Here's some more screenshots from the new sound (UTS) editor in Kotor Tool:

Note the new buttons below Add and Remove? YES! Sound playback has been solved in Kotor Tool. I finally took the time to analyze the sound files and now I can play them. It even shows you the current running time and total length.

http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/sound_basic2.gif)

Here's a shot of the new Sound Selector the editor uses. Much better that a standard File Open dialog box, don't you think? you can even filter the sounds by name and type.

http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/soundselector.gif)

Also, there's a new link to a page on the Kotor Tool site that shows what the next version will contain here (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/upcoming.htm)
 General Kenobi
10-15-2005, 11:53 AM
Fred the sound implementation is WONDERFUL :D I made a module and had no sound :D...lol

All kidding aside though Fred I read through your new page over at the link local on your site and MAN do you have some great includes coming up :D

Good ole' KOTORtool is morphing and growing into a full on game editing program rivaling the ones that ship from manufacturers with games on occasion! The features your planning on adding are simply wonderful Fred and let me say from all of us: "We appreciate you soooo much for all of your hard development work!"

I already see the future potential to say "redo" the Onderon Merchant Sector to have plenty of merchants and the like as well as most all of the others in time.

You Rule Fred :thumbsup:

General Kenobi
 Fred Tetra
10-15-2005, 2:58 PM
Fred the sound implementation is WONDERFUL :D I made a module and had no sound :D...lol

All kidding aside though Fred I read through your new page over at the link local on your site and MAN do you have some great includes coming up :D

Good ole' KOTORtool is morphing and growing into a full on game editing program rivaling the ones that ship from manufacturers with games on occasion! The features your planning on adding are simply wonderful Fred and let me say from all of us: "We appreciate you soooo much for all of your hard development work!"

I already see the future potential to say "redo" the Onderon Merchant Sector to have plenty of merchants and the like as well as most all of the others in time.

You Rule Fred :thumbsup:

General Kenobi

I'm hoping the new feature set will inspire plenty of fun-to-play modules and perhaps a few donations!
 brwarner
10-16-2005, 9:09 AM
I don't know if this is were to post it but i am having a problem with the module editor, I can't seem to drag and drop waypoints or encounters.
 Fred Tetra
10-16-2005, 12:39 PM
I don't know if this is were to post it but i am having a problem with the module editor, I can't seem to drag and drop waypoints or encounters.

Those are both fixed in the next version of Kotor Tool. Read more >>here (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/upcoming.htm)<<)
Page: 31 of 38